IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

The Alvars....

Rate this topic

I was wondering if anyone here could explain to me the significance of the Alvars. I've only heard some brief information on them but would like to know further details. I believe they come in the Sri Vaisnava line and are the incarnations of Visnu's paraphernalia. I may be incorrect on these points. I have also heard that they have composed some of the most beautiful bhajans. If any of the readers here know about them, please post. Thanks again.

Gauracandra

There were 12 Azhvars. They were all Vaishnavas. All of them have contributed 4000 pasurams(poems), called as Naalayira Divya Prabandam. The names of 12 azhvars are, Poigai azhvar, Peya azhvar, Bhudatha azhvar,Peria azhvar, Andal ,Thiruppana Azhvar, Kulasekar Azhvar, Madura Kavi azhvar, Nammazhvar, Thirumagai Azhvar, Thirumizhisai azhvar, Thondaradi podi azhvar.Out of 4000 pasurams 1000 pasurams are by Nammazhvar. The speciality of this azhvar is Lord vishnu in His severalforms came to him & got pasurams on Him. Madhurakavi azhvar sang only 10 pasurams that to on His Guru Nammazhvar. Thiruppanazhvar sang 10 pasurams on Ranganatha at Sri Rangam. All other azhvars went to many temples & sang about the Lord. There are 108 Padal petra stalangal. That means in these 108 temples Lord got mangalasanam by azhvars. Sri Ranganatha & Balagi of Tirupati got Mangalasanam by all the Azhvars. If you know Tamil you will love the Pasurams. It is so beautiful. If you are interested I will give meanings of some pasuram from Nammazhvar.

Those stories about the Alvars are from a series of lectures given by Atmatattva Das (A.T.Das) in Mayapur. It was a seminar on the four sampradayas. It would be nice to have the transcriptions of the other lectures (stories of the other three sampradayas), but I don't know if anyone has them.

Nammazhwar wrote in his one of the pasurams in ThiruvoiMozhi

The body is in a fit state. We must be thankful to the Lord for this;but at the same time we must use body for doing service to the Lord & good deeds. We must not let the favourable situation to be exploited for adding to our sins. So go to AZhagar koil, perform suitable services. It is more proper to do these services when one is in good health. Even Devas & Nitya Suryas perfom pujas for their interest there. So we also must go & prostrate to Azhagar with HIS Consorts, who take a stoll now & then.