IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
newhindu05

How to Become a Hindu

Rate this topic

from: http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/hbh/hbh_ch-8.html

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/hbh/hbh_table_of_contents.html

This is a website talks about full and formal conversion to Hinduism. One section talks about choosing a Hindu name. They think it's essential for purpuse of dedication and also getting into temples in India. I don't mind, but wouldn't it seem weird for a non-indian to have a indian name. Please tell me your opinion, thanks.

Guest guest

Hari OM

"just pick something I like?"

what do you think about your name, it is the identity given to you for this journey (life-span) of your Soul (Jiva), it is not some tomato or potato to pick something you like.

As per Hinduism,

Jiva enters the sperm in a formless-nameless aspect (very similar to Brahmam)

It gets a form (or physical body) in the third month in womb.

It gets the senses in the seventh month

and it should get a name in the eleventh day when it is outside womb (as per shastras)

The name is selected by the parents (who have all the rights to select it) and recited three times to the baby with a drop of Honey in its mouth (since for every person his name is the sweetest thing in the world). This fixes the name-form-attribute of the Jiva until it completes the journey of this world.

You have no rights to change the name given by your parents , and it may lead to identity crisis (spiritually) later.

in fact even changing the religions, etc., should not be done if it would affect the parents feelings , because Hinduism says parents are the fore most, they have a right over their children, in fact more than God Himself.

so if you want to become Hindu, first talk to your parents, convince them make them happy and then start the process and a new name also if required should be selected by your parents only.

serve your parents, love your brothers and sisters, help your friends and relatives, dont harm others, be truth ful, honest and follow Dharma, in essence be a good human being, Bhagvan will be naturally pleased with you, if you do all these then changing the names may not be required at all.

Thanks,

Subham

My parents are non-religious and they don't mind me being Hindu. Having them picking my name would probably take some effort and some explanations of why. I doin't thing they'd get it. They're not really spiritual at all. I'll still try, though.

Guest guest

that's complete madness.... the vedic name is a sign of the second birth, the spiritual birth given by the brahminic initiation by a bona fide guru

please do not attempt to spoil or pollute sanatana dharma

everyone from every angle of the world has the possibility, right and duty to start a dharmic life.... but let us stick to tradition, let us not make something cheap of such great culture

Guest guest

Hari OM

" Having them picking my name would probably take some effort and some explanations of why. I doin't thing they'd get it"

i would say that they deserve ALL your effort and time to explain them why and they have every right to question you

try to get the essence of hinduism and become a real hindu, not joining in some organizations changing the names etc., that is more or less christianity you will net get the soul of hinduism.

As per hinduism God is mother+father+guru (teacher) combined, while another interpretation says that mather is God, father is God ....

so in either view you have a duty to get your parent's constent and it has been clearly stated in many places in Hinduism that whatever activity a man starts without the constent and blessings of his parents or guru is not highly likely to succeed.

I said earlier, I would talk to my parents about my formal conversion to Hinduism. I told them before I have an interest in Hinduism. They took me to our local Hindu temple. I spoke to temple priest Shri Nagabhat Vidyashankar about the basic tenets of Hinduism. I'm not converting for namesake, but for actual beliefs. I also wanted to change my name, but didn't know how to pick a name. Thanks you for lecturing me about being a real Hindu. The essence of Hinduism is what attracted me to this religion.

Hindu Temple Limited

http://www.hindutemplenebraska.org/Priest-VidhayShankar.jpg

http://www.hindutemplenebraska.org/

Guest guest

Hari OM:

Thanks for your reply and sorry i was not really lecturing.

There is a big difference between

what You want to Do

and

What You have to Do

The first one is desire, while the second one is Karma.

What each one have to DO is clearly stated in Manu Smiriti by God himself and passed from generations to generations in a proper hierarchy (note this is done for the peaceful living of human society not for the benefit of God Himself)

Now since this hierarchy is lost, people are confused with regards to What They Have to DO (i.e., their Karma)

So either they are just following What they Want to DO and getting into more bondage.

Or many organizations (religious, social, politicial, etc.,) are jumping into this fray and telling people What They Have to DO (of course which would not be for the benefit of Human kind or even their members, but their Own Organization's benefit)

That is the reason for my caution, since you had already gotten the permission of your parents and spoken to learned people, i think you are in the right path and welcome, wish you all the best.

Thanks,

Subham