IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Everyone read please

Rate this topic

Guest guest

How does one go about cutting off the desires of this life to realize the Atman and the Brahman?

Jai Ganesh

only when you find the desires of this world are futile and only painful then you may begin to give them up, but when you give up lower desires you have to replace them with others higher goals.

Bg15

The Supreme Lord said: They (or the wise) speak of the eternal Ashvattha tree having its origin above (in unmanifest Brahman) and its branches below (in the cosmos) whose leaves are the (Vedic) hymns. One who understands this is a knower of the Vedas. (15.01)

The branches (of this world tree of Maya) spread below and above (or all over the cosmos). The tree is nourished by the Gunas; sense pleasures are its sprouts; and its roots (of ego and desires) stretch below in the human world causing Karmic bondage. (15.02)

Neither its (real) form nor its beginning, neither its end nor its existence is perceptible here on the earth. Having cut these firm roots of the Ashvattha tree by the mighty ax of (Jnana and) Vairaagya or detachment; (15.03)

The goal should be sought reaching which one does not come back; thus thinking: In that very primal spirit I take refuge from which this primal manifestation comes forth. (15.04)

Those who are free from pride and delusion, who have conquered the evil of attachment, who are constantly dwelling in the Supreme Self with all Kaama completely stilled, who are free from the dualities known as pleasure and pain; such undeluded persons reach the eternal goal. (15.05)

Jai Shree Krishna

This is verse 15.6

na tad bhasayate suryo

na sasanko na pavakah

yad gatva na nivartante

tad dhama paramam mama

na-not; tat-that; bhasayate-illuminates; suryah-sun; na-nor; sasankah-the moon; na-nor; pavakah-fire, electricity; yat-where; gatva-going; na-never; nivartante-comes back; tat dhama-that abode; paramam-supreme; mama-My.

TRANSLATION

That abode of Mine is not illumined by the sun or moon, nor by electricity. One who reaches it never returns to this material world.

Bhaktivedanta Translation [bBT]

www.asitis.com

Goto downloadpage in my Signature to download. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

only when you find the desires of this world are futile and only painful then you may begin to give them up, but when you give up lower desires you have to replace them with others higher goals.

What is the difference between giving up desires which is painful (but not so painful when persuading it) with running away from facts? :hmm:

It's like that story with the wolf who wanted to eat some grapes. He look at grapes which hung on grapevines above, and think "those grape look delicious".

So he begin to jump and try to get some. After a while, as he get tired, he says, "Those grapes must be sour and not nice to eat, I go somewhere else", and left.

By leaving desires which maybe too painful to bear, you maybe doing exactly as the Wolf did ... make excuse and run away.

Guest guest

We read those stories of sour grapes in childhood. There is no way to tell if the wolf went away as it felt thirsty of exhaustion, or some interesting smell intercepted it's attention, or whether it really really thought that the grapes were sour (paying true sincerity to the mans obsession to mundane reasoning), before walking away from the grapes.

I personally wish pain indeed works as an excuse for terrorist to drop their suicide missions, and people to drop their anger, shouting etc.

I think avoiding pain is the key. The idea to "go about cutting off the desires of this life to realize the Atman and the Brahman" is for a benefit. It's to overcome pain. Or atleast it's to size-it up and not allow it to doom you from a poise. One of the ways to think of overcoming pain, is not to blame anyone for the pain you experience. Might well blame people for a situation to make each one responsible, but never blame others for the pain you experience due to a situation. That pain is yours only. Try overcoming that pain.

This way the self-realization dawned within you to helps overcome pain & it grows naturally. Also this realization will make you less inhibited to ask for help (as a free-child) for food when you feel hungry, and all the other similar things in the mundane world which can be a botheration. Some vaishanava kind off people throwing cynical comments at you like 'you should be able to have a kamadenu around you with your powers than asking for help', will not delude you. Another example is when shankarachaya was prisoned, these cynical people commented that he should use his powers and go into samadhi etc, such kind off comments will never delude you, provided you take the path of self-realization to overcome pain, than for the academic sake of self-realization.

Lord Krishna is the perfection of spiritual living and he's an example of almost zero inhibition.

Guest guest

I think avoiding pain is the key.

avoiding pain is avoiding pain, not finding god...

pain cannot be avoided because maya is not our energy under our control, but it is god's energy, infinitelty more powerful than us

it is only searching actively god, that, as a side effect we get liberation

not that we search for liberation and we find god

Guest guest

I read your note on energy and you quote that it's "infinitely more powerful than us" (please learn to speak for yourself)

May I ask

"what energy are you referring to, you energyless filthy mass"

"What do you know of gods energy when you are only a filthy mass filled with urine and degenrating cells"

{What is the difference between giving up desires which is painful (but not so painful when persuading it) with running away from facts? :hmm:}

Can you be more speicific here! As far as I know any material desire is painful and for that matter any spiritual desire is enlightening. So without making an attempt to divert the mind from the Grapes -as you put them as(Wolf has got its way to put an end to its material desire - i wud say an intelligen wolf)there is no way a true submission for the spiritual desire takes place.

Another example can be given from the scriptures which say that one is actaully embracing at the material tree himself and asking the tree to leave him! thats no intelligence

Hari hari bol