IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
barney

Kill the "EGO"

Rate this topic

If you think your path is direct so be it while I would like to take a path that I feel is more at ease and comfortable. Krishna is only on of HIS names some would love to call HIM while others call HIM by different names. Krishna which means "all attractive" is only the name given to the all knower who is Supreme Brahman who resides in all living entity. I can call him by whatever name I wish to call and he would not mind a bit as long as that name is in praise. Let us not argue on names of the Supreme Brahman. He spoke the Bhagavad-gita to Arjuna in Dvapara-yuga, but this does not limit His position as the adi-purusha (the original Supreme Person) and the adi-guru (the original teacher).

Some ignorant people feel it is Sri Krishna and none other name should be mentioned. Sri Krishna was only for Dvapara-yuga and now we are in the age of Kali and the Supreme Brahman is yet to show his glimpse. Till he appears again people have the right to make their choice whithout any force. "Brahma, Vishnu, Sadhasiva, Hara Hara Hara Hara Magadeva". Get my point? Just because you do not understand or wish not to undersand does not give you the right to conduct yourself in this manner. Many have acheived Self Realization without the help of any Gurus and realizing God within you is the utmost spritual achievement of man in this birth. We can agrue the whole life time on this issue but what is the benefit? If you feel what you believe is right by all means follow that but let others have their choice because path to Godhead is not ristricted to one way only and you must remember that the vedas a four and not one.

Guest guest

some would love to call HIM while others call HIM by different names.

--no problem.. the problem arises when someone says that god has no name, that god has no individual existance. That's wrong

Krishna which means "all attractive" is only the name given to the all knower who is Supreme Brahman who resides in all living entity

--that's wrong.. god is everything, and inside everything there's also individuality. So krsna is not only a name given to brahman, there's not a reality and a definition, body and soul, external and internal, definition and substance.. krsna is krsna, the name itself is a reality..

Do not create dualities, god is one, and he's one in his being simultaneously personal and inpersonal, individual and omnipervadent

He spoke the Bhagavad-gita to Arjuna in Dvapara-yuga, but this does not limit His position as the adi-purusha (the original Supreme Person) and the adi-guru (the original teacher).

--how therse positions can be considered limits?

Some ignorant people feel it is Sri Krishna and none other name should be mentioned.

--that's wrong.. because krsna means "all attractive" and this definition comes from the fact that he's bhagavad "the one who possess all". So God/Krsna/Bhagavan possess all qualities (guna grahi) so he has infinite names. So who says that krsna is the only name, is denying the very meaning of the name krsna.

Sri Krishna was only for Dvapara-yuga and now we are in the age of Kali and the Supreme Brahman is yet to show his glimpse

--every age is the age of god in any manifestation. It seems to me that krsna (along all vedic philosophy) is getting famous all over the world, so i don't' understand your attitude in praising brahman and blaspheming krsna. How can you divide god in two?

Many have acheived Self Realization without the help of any Gurus

--bhagavad gita says "tad viddhi pranipatena...", bhagavad gita itself is the process of surrendering of arjuna to his guru, sri krsna bhagavan. Krsna stops to be a friend for him, and he turns in his worshipable guru.

and realizing God within you is the utmost spritual achievement of man in this birth.

--within you, without you.. if we realize god we see him everywhere

We can agrue the whole life time on this issue but what is the benefit?

--so do not argue if you feel no benefit .. give the example and we'll follow. Only teorical advices are useless, do what you preach..

If you feel what you believe is right by all means follow that but let others have their choice

--that's a discussion forum.. if you want simply to put messages without receiving opinion from others i think you have to choose other communication's medias.

simple

Guest guest

/images/graemlins/frown.gif<font color="brown">Pranam !</font color>

<font color="blue">

I was off-line for last two days.

No doubt, you are a noble soul but some dirt of ego, vanity and logic covering the soul. </font color>

<##if you are a beginner .. begin learning art of discrimination. Following every fool with some indian name and guru facade will not help you advancing in transcendece.> <font color="blue"> ---Thanks for the precious advise. I would like to follow the concepts of Shri Rama, not Ravana, advice from spotless and ego free persons.

While the washer man washes dirty clothes, in our country side, they beat clothes and nowadays, clothes are beaten in the washing machine. After many beatings gold and diamonds become bright. </font color>

Use your brain and decide.. the philosophy of that man say that one is realized when he lose his individual life, so if he speaks he still has got his individuality, so he's an hypochrite... simple <font color="blue"> ---I have been using my brain but it is not so simple as you are saying. After all I have my 'conscience' inside me. </font color>

<##no.. if you are honest you are above many so called masters by great number of people. Discrimination is the first art to learn if we want advance in spiritual life, so learn to call master who is really a master, not who is famous as a master> <font color="blue"> ---But the egoist intellectuals deny a true master. They see through a different spectacles. I don't know who is a real master in your point of view. </font color>

< be a cheela of ram... not a cheela of ravana > <font color="blue"> ---Sure ! </font color>

<font color="brown">

Om Namah Shivay ! </font color>

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Guest guest

Guest Ji of old times

***************so believe also the scripture's verses where they say that god is (also) a satcitananda individual..***********************

I believe it. Who has ever denied the above? Supreme Purusha is the only “I”, that is what I have been stating repeatedly. But you talk about your own individuality, which according to me, is nothing but the ever changing MANAS. Today it has obtained a human body and tomorrow it may obtain a mosquito’s body.

Mandukya Upanishad

Nantah-prajnam, na bahih prajnam, no'bhayatah- prajnam, na prajnanaghanam, na prajnam, na-aprajnam; adrishtam-avyavaharayam-agrahyam-alakshanam-acintyam avyapadesyam-ekatmapratyayasaram, prapancopasarnam, santam, sivam-advaitam, caturtham manyante, sa atma sa vijneyah.

He is not knowable by perception, turned inward or out ward,nor by both combined. He is neither that which is known, nor that which is not known nor is he the sum of all that might be known he can not be seen, grasped, bargained with. He is undefinable, unthinkable, indescribable. The only proof of his existence is union with him. The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second. This is the fourth condition of the self the most worthy of all.

Note: santam, sivam-advaitam. This same is stated in Brahma Samhita (though it is not shruti): “advaitam Govindah” . You may read it yourself to avoid spoon feeding.

Gita 8.3 Aksharam brahma paramam swabhaavo’dhyaatmamuchyate;

Bhootabhaavodbhavakaro visargah karmasamjnitah.

8.3. Brahman is the Imperishable, the Supreme; His essential nature is Adhyatman – the Self; the offering (to the gods) which causes existence and manifestation of beings and which also sustains them is called action.

End of citation.

***********do not believe only what makes you illude that one day you'll be god*********

You have harped on this subject long enough without once trying to appreciate what I say.

I have infinite patience and I will state again. Only freedom that we have is to seek yoga to “param padam” and that “Param Padam” is in my Hridaya and everywhere. So, I try to constantly pray to Him in my Hridaya and love all. Despite your attempts, I love you since I know that His Gunas impel you and you do not do anything.

But Upanishads and Gita state the followings as well:

Gita 7.18 Udaaraah sarva evaite jnaanee twaatmaiva me matam;

Aasthitah sa hi yuktaatmaa maamevaanuttamaam gatim.

7.18. Noble indeed are all these; but I deem the wise man as My very Self; for, steadfast in mind, he is established in Me alone as the supreme goal.

Note: “wise man as My very Self”

BRIHADARANYAKA-UPANISHAD Part 1

FOURTH BRAHMANA.

-----

Therefore now also he who thus knows that he is Brahman, becomes all this, and even the Devas cannot prevent it, for he himself is their Self.

Now if a man worships a deity other than the Self, thinking the deity is one and he another, he does not know. He is like a beast for the Devas. --------

BU IV, 4, 13-14

iii) 13. He who has found and awakened to the atman

which has entered the otherwise impenetrable body,

he is the maker of the universe, of all things.

The world is his! The world itself is he!

KATH U IV, 10--11

10. Whatever is here, the same is there;

whatever is there, the same is here.

Whoever perceives just separateness

passes from death to death without cease.

11. Only by the spirit can this intuition be grasped:

in this world there is nothing whatever separate.

Whoever thinks he perceives separateness

passes from death to death without cease.

KATH U IV, 14-15

14. As water descending on mountain crags

wastes its energies among the gullies,

so he who views things as separate

wastes his energies in their pursuit.

15. But as pure water poured into pure

becomes the selfsame--wholly pure,

so too becomes the self of the silent sage,

of the one, O Gautama, who has understanding.

RV VIII, 58, 2

iv) Only One is the Fire, enkindled in numerous ways;

only One is the Sun, pervading this whole universe;

only One is the Dawn, illuminating all things.

In very truth, the One has become the whole world!

End of citation

Moreover, one who has desire to become God will certainly fall quicker than anyone else since, as Brahma Sutras proclaim, “one who attains to Brahman cannot create, maintain, and destroy”.

You must realize the pure Purusha exists without any motivation just as Sun acts without any motivation. Brahman just exists with its nature. That is all.

**********that's love..*****************

I don’t know whether calling others dogs, asuras, rascals, fools etc., is love? God will know.

But I have tried to maintain my love. And I request you earnestly to go through Gita and Upanishad passages slowly – possibly after praying to your ishta deva.

I request this of you with pure love.

May Lord give you peace and bliss. May the same be granted to me.

Om Namh Sivayya

Guest guest

<font color="blue">

My mystic friend 'Shri BhootNath' once told me a story.

Once in the past, there was a master (mahatma) in Kashi. He was a real master. Many of his disciples were found the higher realm. One greedy person used to come to his aashram sometimes and used to ask the master that, "O master, give me the mantra, the nectar through that I shall be able to become prosperous and immortal." The master used to tell him that, "You are dirty. You are not capable yet for the naam and mantra. Firstly clean your outer and inner pot then come to me."

One day he went to the master as usual, but the master was not on his place. He (the person) was wandering back side of the aashram, the area was covered of trees and bushes. He found one of disciples was meditating there beneath a tree. He went to him and lightly push him, when the disciple opened his eyes, he asked him, "I think you have got the nectar and hence you are looking so happy. Really ! Have you got ?" The disciple relied, "I also used to come daily to the master like you for several years. But one day I was very tired and was feeling very weakness but I came. No absent. When I was fallen on the master's feet, just the moment I lost my sense. Then when I woke up, my head was on master's lap and he was fanning me. From that day, that moment I felt, I was not like before. I was changed. I was connected to the master and Supreme Cosmic power. All my questions and illusionary attachments were vanished. I knew that, who am I. Just go from me and leave me alone."

The greedy person came back to the master's place and saw the master was sitting there. He go to the master and felled down on the master's lap and stared act like a senseless person. The master brought a stick and started to beat him badly. He woke up and told the master, "one of your disciples felled down on your lap and you gave him nectar but here stick for me." The master told him strongly, "Just go away and don't come again." </font color>

<font color="brown">Om Namah Shivay ! </font color>

Guest guest

I believe it. Who has ever denied the above?

..if you admit the individuality of god, you have to admit also the individuality of his expansions. The CIT and the ANANDA can be exercited only in presence of other subjects

Today it has obtained a human body and tomorrow it may obtain a mosquito’s body.

.."it" means that the individual soul is the real subject and that he obtains different dresses

This same is stated in Brahma Samhita (though it is not shruti): “advaitam Govindah” . You may read it yourself to avoid spoon feeding.

..i read brahma samhita... it is a hymn to the individual existence of god in his own spiritual world

***********do not believe only what makes you illude that one day you'll be god*********

You have harped on this subject long enough without once trying to appreciate what I say.

..i appreciate so much what you say... simply i do believe that you avoid purposefully something of scriptures. I do not deny at all that god has an omnipervasive aspect and that under a certain point of view we are god. But i do not ignore also that we are not supreme

Despite your attempts, I love you

..i do not do any attempt to avoid yor love... i simply discuss.

Now if a man worships a deity other than the Self, thinking the deity is one and he another, he does not know. He is like a beast for the Devas. --------

...and this has a meaning.. the meaning is that no one is outside god and no one comes from a different energy. But it has to be conciled with many parts of vedic literature where the distinct and supreme personality of god, and even of the murtis is clearly stated.

**********that's love..*****************

I don’t know whether calling others dogs, asuras, rascals, fools etc., is love?

..it is love for the ones who are blinded by the fame of that "so called" masters. If these "masters" had someone who called them like that instead of adoring disciples maybe they were now in a better situation

But I have tried to maintain my love. And I request you earnestly to go through Gita and Upanishad passages slowly – possibly after praying to your ishta deva

..i have no problem in accepting the scripture's passages you have brought... simply i do not agree with your partial interpretation

brahman, paramatma, bhagavan........ all at the same level of transcendence. God is one.

Guest guest

**************I believe it. Who has ever denied the above?

..if you admit the individuality of god, you have to admit also the individuality of his expansions. The CIT and the ANANDA can be exercited only in presence of other subjects************************

May be? The “It” I refer to is Manas –and “It” is His mind’s creation – a conditioning of the infinite CID. This Manas has the imagination “I am this body and mind” This feeling is wrong and has to be overcome; by whatever means. Lord Shiva has taught sage Vashishta that one can easily drop the imagination like dropping a piece of stone. I will rather believe Him.

Atma Upanishad

I-1. Now Angirah: The Spirit, manifests Itself, in three ways: the self, the inner Self and the supreme Self.

I-2. There are the organs – the skin, inner and outer: flesh, hair, the thumb, the fingers, the backbone, the nails, the ankles, the stomach, the navel, the penis, the hip, the thighs, the cheeks, the ears, the brows, the forehead, the hands, the flanks, the head and the eyes; these are born and these die; so they constitute the self.

I-3. Next this inner self is (indicated by the elements) earth, water, fire, air, ether, desire, aversion, pleasure, pain, desire, delusion, doubts, etc., and memory, (marked by) the high pitch and accentlessness, short, long and prolate (vowel sounds), the hearer, smeller, taster, leader, agent and self of knowledge vis-à-vis stumbling, shouting, enjoying, dancing, singing and playing on musical instruments. He is the ancient spirit that distinguishes between Nyaya, Mimamsa and the institutes of law and the specific object of listening, smelling and grasping. He is the inner Self.

I-4. Next the supreme Self, the imperishable, He is to meditated on with (the help of) the Yogic steps, breath control, withdrawal (of sense organs), fixation (of mind), contemplation and concentration, He is to be inferred by the thinkers on the Self as like unto the seed of the Banyan tree or a grain of millet or a hundredth part of a split hair. (Thus) is He won and not known. He is not born, does not die, does not dry, is not wetted, not burnt, does not tremble, is not split, does not sweat. He is beyond the gunas, is spectator, is pure, partless, alone, subtle, owning naught, blemishless, immutable, devoid of sound, touch, colour, taste, smell, is indubitable, non-grasping, omnipresent. He is unthinkable and invisible. He purifies the impure, the unhallowed. He acts not. He is not subject to empirical existence.

II-1. The good named the Atman is pure, one and non-dual always, in the form of Brahman. Brahman alone shines forth.

End of citation

****************Today it has obtained a human body and tomorrow it may obtain a mosquito’s body.

.."it" means that the individual soul is the real subject and that he obtains different dresses*******************

“It” may seem to be a subject but is not. It is an apparent object as seen by the lord in his own Maya. Nothing that changes is eternal and true. We have discussed these before and I do not feel like discussing again. Just follow your path and let others follow theirs. Let God do the reforming.

************This same is stated in Brahma Samhita (though it is not shruti): “advaitam Govindah” . You may read it yourself to avoid spoon feeding.

..i read brahma samhita... it is a hymn to the individual existence of god in his own spiritual world**********************

So what? “Advaitam Sivam” or “advaitam Govinda” hold true.

***********..i appreciate so much what you say... simply i do believe that you avoid purposefully something of scriptures. I do not deny at all that god has an omnipervasive aspect and that under a certain point of view we are god. But i do not ignore also that we are not supreme***************

Yes, you have snatched words from my lips. No individual is Supreme. I will add more. No let it be this much only.

**************Despite your attempts, I love you

..i do not do any attempt to avoid yor love... i simply discuss.*******************

Without offending you, I would say that many words that you use are not appropriate for discussion and are not palatable. None of us here is ego free that we can digest bad words like Visnu may be able to digest.

************Now if a man worships a deity other than the Self, thinking the deity is one and he another, he does not know. He is like a beast for the Devas. --------

...and this has a meaning.. the meaning is that no one is outside god and no one comes from a different energy. But it has to be conciled with many parts of vedic literature where the distinct and supreme personality of god, and even of the murtis is clearly stated.********************

Read Atma Upanishad passage again. It is about stages. Nothing happens with jumps.

**********I don’t know whether calling others dogs, asuras, rascals, fools etc., is love?

..it is love for the ones who are blinded by the fame of that "so called" masters. If these "masters" had someone who called them like that instead of adoring disciples maybe they were now in a better situation***********************

It is your view. Do not judge masters on behalf of others. Let them discriminate themselves. Till we are not self realized, it is pointless and in fact does more harm than good.

**********..i have no problem in accepting the scripture's passages you have brought... simply i do not agree with your partial interpretation***************

I am not forcing you.

*************brahman, paramatma, bhagavan........ all at the same level of transcendence. God is one.*******************

That is excellent. We are progressing.

Guest guest

1) To realize God within is great, yes, it is Paramatma realization which usually comes after realization of Brahma jyoti yet before realization of Bhagavan-Krishna-the PERSONALITY of Godhead. So the greatest realization is Bhagavan realization.

2) The Gita tells us to surrender to a guru-one who has seen the truth. By Krishna's mercy we get Guru, and by Guru's mercy we get Krishna. So it is imperative to find a bonafide spiritual master to link one up to the parampara-disciplic succession.

It is not about "my ways" and "your ways". It is about Krishna's way. We can speculate all we want about the nature of God and the way back to Him, but unless we take shelter of a bonafide spiritual master whose guidance is confirmed by both scripture and saintly persons, we are wasting our time.

We are all very conditioned souls and the way back to Godhead is difficult, if not impossible, without the mercy of devotees. So let us offer our respectful obeisances to one another and call out Gouranga! and be happy.

Guest guest

This Manas has the imagination “I am this body and mind”

..and that's illusion.. but we are not speaking of body and mind

It is an apparent object as seen by the lord in his own Maya.

..the lord does not see through the filter of maya... lord is not subjected to illusion... otherwis what kind of lord he is? where's his lordship?

Nothing that changes is eternal and true.

..yes .. body and mind change... soul does not change. The individual soul as part of the supersoul does not change

We have discussed these before and I do not feel like discussing again.

.. do as you want, you are free

So what? “Advaitam Sivam” or “advaitam Govinda” hold true.

..yes .. read all brahma samhita.. if you take brahma samhita as a demonstration of the non existence of god's individuality surely you leave me without words.

"(govindam adi purusham tam aham bhajami....... i worship govinda the most ancient individual.. the most ancient enjoyer (two subjects, two actions, difference between creation and created and even time's difference...))

I would say that many words that you use are not appropriate for discussion and are not palatable.

..i have a different opinion... if you want you can avoid to discuss with me.. i have no problem at all

Read Atma Upanishad passage again. It is about stages. Nothing happens with jumps.

..that deity worship and lord's worship is a "stage" is your speculation. As i have said before, you choose to read wich parts of scriptures you prefere and you read in them what you like more

It is your view. Do not judge masters on behalf of others. Let them discriminate themselves

..so let me free to discriminate.. and i am discriminating and writing in a forum... problems?

**********..i have no problem in accepting the scripture's passages you have brought... simply i do not agree with your partial interpretation***************

I am not forcing you.

..i am not forced... my adsl is already payed

*************brahman, paramatma, bhagavan........ all at the same level of transcendence. God is one.*******************

That is excellent. We are progressing.

..i never said anything different, and there's no progress beyond this realization. It is you who has problems in recognizing this simple concept

Guest guest

*********and i am discriminating and writing in a forum... problems?**************

I have none. You have -- of foul tongue.

********It is you who has problems in recognizing this simple concept ***************

I am happy with that.

Knowing everything you are still in distress.

Bye. Best of luck.

Guest guest

not all kind realizations deny individuality, for example in vaishnavism the soul and the supersoul are eternal and individuality of the lord and of the jiva are eternal..

so the concept of jivan mukta is possible, you can technically find someone who's speaking to his contemporaries of his experiences in lord's lilas.. in another words the highest realization in vaishnavism can be communicated and somewhat shared with others still in the conditionated stage

that's not technically the same in advaita.. the realized advaitin, for this doctrine, is no more and individual, his existence is melted in brahman existence..

who's teaching or preaching is still in the individual plane of existence, there's discrimination between him and the students, there's the action of teaching.. all in complete duality mood...so, if advaita realization is possible and it is not a fraud, who's teaching is not realized, and who's teaching what he has not realized is a cheater

who teachs medicine and he's not a doctor is a fraud

who teachs music and he's not a musician is a fraud

who teachs oneness but he lives ina dual state of existence is a fraud

teaching and oneness are opposite.. teaching wants at least two subjects

is not simple?

Guest guest

in another words.. you cannot preach ego killing if your ego is alive

and a master's ego is alive, otherwise he could not teach

so if someone say's "kill your ego.." i ask "a real master is acharya, one who teachs with behaviour, not only teoretically.. so please go on and give the example.. kill yours and then speak... if you can..."

Guest guest

Dear ilapoornam ji,

In Bengali there is a proverb that "A rejoice such as a mad man has after killing a cow". This guest rejoices similarly.

Please do not take care of this guest. He is most unfortunate. He is distressed and of half mind only -- though he has has a five tonne ego and knows himself to be the all knower. In short he thinks himself to the God and that he has the right to abuse others calling them cheater, rascal, and dog. Let him finish of his prarabdha of abusing and let him accumulate more, which will be worse. What it is to you and me?

He is fortunate also, since he is abusing those who have risen beyond their ego. Persons in receipt of his abuse will laugh "Attahasya", such as Siva laughs at the foolishness of people like Chitraketu in Bhagavatam.

He is foolish, that he does not understand that the Sun is ego less but still it does its duty. He also does not understand that though Krishna is Advaitam but still as an individual He teaches. He does not understand, that though Siva is advaitam, and He drinks the poison as advaytam but the world thinks that it is individual Siva who drinks the poison.

Let the fools rejoice.

Om Namah Sivayya

Guest guest

Dear ilapooranji

To your query who is a cheater please read the following anomaly of Gita interpretaion.

8.3 Aksharam brahma paramam swabhaavo’dhyaatmamuchyate;

Bhootabhaavodbhavakaro visargah karmasamjnitah.

8.3. Brahman is the Imperishable, the Supreme; His essential nature is Adhyatman – the Self; the offering (to the gods) which causes existence and manifestation of beings and which also sustains them is called action.

And

13.13 Jneyam yattat pravakshyaami yajjnaatwaa’mritamashnute;

Anaadimatparam brahma na sattannaasaduchyate.

13.13 I will declare that which has to be known, knowing which one attains to immortality, the beginning less supreme Brahman, called neither being nor non-being.

13.14 Sarvatah paanipaadam tat sarvato’kshishiromukham;

Sarvatah shrutimalloke sarvamaavritya tishthati.

13.14 With hands and feet everywhere, with eyes, heads and mouths everywhere, with ears everywhere, He exists in the worlds, enveloping all.

Note that Lord in 8.3 describes Brahman as the Self (Adhyatma) and Supreme(Param). Jigyasu has compared six translations and they give same translation as above.

In 13.13 and 13.14 Lord again says that the beginning less supreme Brahman is to be known to attain immortality.

Now one translator, without noticing that Lord Krishna has already stated that there is none higher than Brahman in 8.3, translates 13.13 as below:

“I shall now explain the knowable, knowing which you will taste the eternal. Brahman, the spirit, beginningless and subordinate to Me, lies beyond the cause and effect of this material world. (13.13)”

Now these translators introduce a phrase “Brahman is subordinate to me” and forget that they are creating a contradiction to Lord's saying of verse 8.3.

How long do the falsity hold? It as clear as water as to who is the cheater.

Om Namah Sivayya

Guest guest

Lord Krishna says “Brahman is supreme, I am Brahman. Know that Vasudeva is all” (in 3 different verses of Gita). Then how does he teach as an individual? Is Lord Krishna a cheater as well?

In Devi Kallottara Lord Siva says “I alone exist”. Does He also cheat?

You get lost in your own murk.