IndiaDivine.org

why we hindus worshiped idols

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hare Krishna,

If you are a Hindu, you would know the answer and that the very wording of your question is wrong.

If you are not a Hindu, it is none of your business. Just get lost.

I know you may not be a Hindu and neither can one say that all Hindus are fluent in the scriptures. In days by gone only Brahims were allowed to study the scriptures while the non brahmins were only allowed to listen and seek help from Brahmin priest to conduct any rituals. Today that trend is changing and I hope all Hindus in the future would be able to resite and conduct holy rituals in homes and temples.

So, the answers to the questions by unregisteret guest are as follows.

Your question:i want to know that y in hindusim people prays to different idols and wat is the role of cow in hinduism, how cow is related to hindusism?

But you are forgetting that every follower of a religion are Idol Worshipper. Idol worship is not peculiar to Hinduism. Christians worship the Cross. They have the image of the Cross in their mind. The Muslims keep the image of the Kaaba stone when they kneel and do prayers. The people of the whole world, save a few Yogis and Vedantins, are all worshippers of idols. They keep some image or the other in their mind.

The mental image also is a form of idol. The difference is not one of kind, but only of degree. All worshippers, however intellectual they may be, generate a form in the mind and make the mind dwell on that image.

Everyone is thus an idol worshipper. Pictures, drawings, etc., are only forms of idols. A gross mind needs a concrete symbol as a prop and a subtle mind requires an abstract symbol. Even a Vedantin has the symbol Om to fix his wandering mind. It is not only the pictures or images in stone and in wood that are idols, but dialectics and great leaders also become idols. So, why condemn idolatry?

The idol is a substitute or symbol. The image in a temple, though it be made of stone, wood or metal, is precious for a devotee as it bears the mark of his Lord, as it represents something which he holds holy and eternal. A flag is only a small piece of painted cloth, but to a soldier it stands for something that he holds very dear. He is prepared to give up his life in defending his flag. Similarly, the image is very dear to a devotee. It speaks to him in its own language of devotion. Just as the flag arouses martial valour in the soldier, so also the image arouses devotion in the devotee. The Lord is superimposed on the image and the image generates divine thoughts in the worshipper.

Traditionally, the bulls work in the agricultural farms, cows provide milk. Very few rich farmers can afford the air polluting, noisy tracters with expensive imported fuel. As a baby, mother provides milk. Later it is the cow. That makes one respect and love the cow. This is largely true in India even today!. Even after their natural death their skin provides leather. In modern times, however, the tanneries which use extremely carcigenous chemicals to process leather, have been polluting the scarce drinking water.

It is true that most people respect the right of way to cows and in fact to any animal, when they stray in a street. They are viewed as food producers and not as food itself.

Actually, the word for cow in Tamil is "pasu". The word for animal in Sanskrit is the same "pasu". In other words, the cow personifies "animals" in general. All animals are sacred in Hinduism.

Do the above answers satisfy your curiosity? I hope so.

i want to know that y in hindusim people prays to different idols

--god is one.. not dual.. so in god there's no difference in internal and external, existence and form, substance and image like we have in material environment.

So the image of god is god even if we have reproduced or put it in a piece of marble or in a painting.

so when we worship murti we do not worship anyone different by god himself (or his representative like a guru or a devata) who being omnipotent come in the image to please the devotees

Any other explanations leads to idolatry, or worshipping false things and objects... and sanatana dharmis do not worship material statues or objects

---

"wat is the role of cow in hinduism, how cow is related to hindusism"

the cows are simply the most peaceful and useful animal to help the man in the human life.. eternal companion of sri krsna bhagavan in his eternal divine pastimes... so it is absolutely sinful to be violent against them

Vedas were there before krishna and they praise cow, so your point of "eternal companion of sri krsna bhagavan in his eternal divine pastimes" is not the reason for cow to be worshipped.

vishnu/krsna is supreme... he's the giver of vedas and vedas personified... his pastimes, like the ones of the avataras are eternal

the supreme personalities of god are sat (eternal) cit (conscious) ananda (blissful), they do not take birth or die like ordinary humans

but i am not against the fact that the respect of cow can have multiple reasons..... if you kow please tell us

I didnt say that vishnu/krshna/any god is not supreme. But the form of krishna with cows was known only after he was born in this world. His form was not know during the earlier yugas. Hence i was objecting to the point of Cow was krishna and hence worshipped .

I read in mahabharata that krishna was shot in his leg and hence died.

Hindus dont worship idols.It's a misnomer to think so.They worship god and see the idol as a form of god.Lord vishnu is said to be everything.Vaishnavas believe that he is in every single atom.But since they find it difficult to worship everything,they worship lord vishnu who resides in that idol too.

They know that lord vishnu resides in the stepping stone of the temple as well as in the stone idol too.But it is difficult for us to see god in everything.So we start off by seeing god atleast in some things.

Vedas initially advocates us to see god in our parents,then in teacher and in guests and in our husband and children.And it finally spreads our view of the family by making us hold the view that 'vasudeva kudumbakam'-whole universe is a family.Its sole objective is to make us attain that sort of a mindset.

If you have the ability to see god in every single thing you see,like gopikas,who saw everything as krishna-then you need worship nothing.Because you will see god inside you too.

Idol worshiping is a method.There are other methods like meditation,yoga etc.Whichever method you follow you will worship the same deity.

P-V

Going by your post, is idol worship mentioned in vedas. Is temple construction explained in vedas. Historically the temple worship become predominantly popular during the Age of guptas.

"Vaishnavas believe that he is in every single atom.But since they find it difficult to worship everything,they worship lord vishnu who resides in that idol too."

then:

"If you have the ability to see god in every single thing you see,like gopikas,who saw everything as krishna-then you need worship nothing"

so you are worst than vaishnavas.. they worship something, you worship nothing...

Going by your post, is idol worship mentioned in vedas. Is temple construction explained in vedas.?

Dont know.It doesnt make a difference anyway.Worship idols or formless god,its all same.

....so you are worst than vaishnavas.. they worship something, you worship nothing...

Worship is a path to reach a goal.Once you reach the goal the journey is over.

I dont think hindu's worship idols...i think they worship the God that the idols represent...the idols are simply a tool used to focus one's mind on God..the worship is not toward the idol..it is toward God. This may be a horribly poor analogy but i'm going to go for it anyway...say you were born without ever having seen your father, but someone painted you a picture of him..you would find solace talking to the picture...even though you know that the picture isnt your father.

I will try this analogy, when u see ur national flag u salute ur flag, ur respect the flag. Flag is literally a piece of cloth its not the nation. But it represents the nation. So what ever respect u give is not for the piece of cloth but the nation that it stands for .

every religion uses something at one point or another, what is inside the kabha for the muslims a stone. so they too worship the stone aint it.

friends... to worship something that it is not the "thing" but the representation of it is idolatry

and sanatana dharma is not idolatric

archa murti is yes a representation of god.. but he/she is really god in person, because there's no dualism between god and his image

so the image of god is god... we see a statue because we are covered by maya

i dont quite understand your post...probably because i do not have that wide a knowledge of the scriptures..but i feel your post could teach me something..what do you mean by santana dharma? and what is archa murti? could you explain this better to a beginner like me?

sanatana dharma is the eternal religion of the living being... someone uses this denomination at the place of hinduism..i do not agree but it is not the biggest problem

archa murti is the sacred image of god (krsna, vishnu, rama,narasimha, jagannath..etc..) or his associates (shiva, brahma, durga, ganesh... the pure spiritual teacher (=acharya, guru) and other sacred personalities)

please ask more if you like..

Thanks for clarifying that...i feel like i'm learning so much..so archa murti would be the actual idol? and so did you mean that when hindus idol worship they are actually worshipping both the idol that represents God as well as God Himself since both God and the idol are one?