IndiaDivine.org
Deewani

Jaya Parvati Vrat

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi ,

I want to do this vrat but know nothing about it. Please can you help/guide me as to what has to be done and how and when.

Thanks

Sb

Guest guest

Thank-you for the message.....so what should we actually eat?

And do you have to do it 5/7 years in a row?

All people are concerned about EATING !!! Why are you all so much obssessed!!!

You can eat anything holy, milk, fruits, pan cakes from made of wheat flour,avoid salt, avoid misbehavior, wrong words and don't even think of taking a nap!!! Keep on praying... or chanting the sloka if available...

that's all and don't talk much, if possible enjoy Mauna Vrata... don't watch anything on TV or listen to radio, but You can go for the Bhakti kinda stuffs.....be pure minded...

regards

Guest guest

Hi,

ive been doing this vrat for 20 years, the vrat according to the Katha is for women to recieve good husbands and pray for their longivity, or for married women to keep a happy home but more so it s for women to recieve health progeny and good `santan' meaning children...

there are 2 types fasts Alluna (which is usually done a few days before Jai Parvatis vrat). Alluna is done by young girls (premenstruation) and Jai parvatis vrat can be done for all. both can be done for 5,7,11,21 years on the last year you have to invite married girls to eat, the number will depend on how many years you have fasted for. Alluna must be stopped after the menstrual cycle begins. In Alluna the fast is similar to Agyarus/Ekadasi and the child can eat have farari. However for jai parvatis vrat, farari is not allowed. and neither is gor, jaggery, peanuts and the usual non fasting foods. the puja is performed in the morning, where you offer flowers, fruit, coconut, and other things to parvati ma, shankar bhagvan and ganpatidada. after bathing the deities, the area is decorated and prasad is offered. the katha is then read and finished by the arti.

the vrat is for 5 days and on the 5th day, the ladies participating in the fast must do JAGRAAN. the women must not sleep and stay awake after sunrise, the night is spent with other girls or wmen fasting and (ideally) bhajanns and garba is done. however nowadays movies and dvds are watched. after sunrise the women must bathe and clear the puja room, a divo is lit and a small prayer thanking the lord for strengh and apologising for any mistakes made. therafter they can sleep or eat.

this is how ive been doing the vrat and how it has been passed on from generation to generation from my family. i personaly believe there is no right or wrong and heart must be in the right place. the days are about awakening the innersoul. the main perception is to have faith.

good luck girls and Jai Parvati Maa

Guest guest

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can please send me the english version of the story and aarti at hetal_patel08@hotmail.com. This is my third year doing the vrat and I've been looking for the aarti in english since but never found it. I would really appreciate it if somebody can help me out. Thanks in advance. =)

Hetal

I have been doing this vrat for a while now and the way in which I have always done it is as follows:

Two days before vrat starts you need to do the Agiyaras which is the 11 day of the month vrat is to start.

You then start vrat on the 13th day of the month.

In the morning after having your bath you should

firstly do pooja, then read the vrat story followed by singing the arti.

The pooja is fairly short and i have an english version of the pooja listing, story and arthi should you wish to use it. I have read several of the replies given and I have never heard of anyone eating cucumber or vegetables such as potatoes. Should you want any more detail i will be happy to oblige

hello

i am from england and this is my 1st year doing this vrat.

i would really appreciate it if you could please send me the english version of the pooja listing, story and arthi please.

and could you please tell me what exactly it is you have to do for the pooja because someone replied saying you only have to do the pooja on the last day, i thought you had to do it everyday(?)

anyway i would really be very grateful if you could reply and send the english version to me by the 15th july (as the vrat starts on the 16th july) to nikita_d@hotmail.co.uk thank you very much

Jaya Parvati Vrat

For Married Women:

Married women observe the Jaya Parvati Vrat. This religious observance starts on the 13th day of the month of Ashadh and is observed for 5 days. An all night vigil or Jagaran then celebrated by staying awake.

The legend behind this rite is as follows: There was a Brahmin couple, who were devotees of Lord Shiva. They had everything in their life but children. As they worshiped Lord Shiva every day in the temple, He became pleased with the continuous devotion and had a revelation (Akaashvani), which said: "My Shiva Linga is at a certain place in the jungle. No body is performing its puja. Your wishes will be fulfilled if you go there and perform its puja."

The Brahmin couple was pleased when they heard this. They went to the jungle and found the place where Lord Shiva's Shiva Linga was. The man went in search of flowers and leaves for use in puja. A snake bit him on the way and he fell on the road in an unconscious state. His wife got worried as her husband did not return and went in search of him. She prayed intensely for her husband's safety. Lord Shiva saw the true devotion of this Brahmin woman and so brought her husband back to consciousness. The couple continued to pray at the Shiva Linga and were blessed with a son. They were very happy

This is how the Jaya Parvati Vrat has originated for married women. In this vrat or religious observance, preference has been given to the puja of the Shivaling. Married women perform this vrat for five years and then celebrate it by inviting other married women to their homes for a meal. These women are presented with red kumkum powder to wish well for their husbands and a utensil as a token of the vrat. Married women who place a tilak on their foreheads between the two eyebrows use Kumkum, this signifies their matrimonial bliss.

It is believed that observing the Jaya Parvati Vrat brings happiness in the family.

For Unmarried Young Girls:

Gauri Puja ,worship of Gauri - begins on the 11th day of the bright half of the Hindu month of Ashadha (June-July). It is believed that Goddess Parvati got Lord Shiva as her husband after performing the ritual of this worship and they lived happily ever after.

The girls, likewise, to get a good life partner, perform this ritualistic worship. A week before the start of this ceremony, they sow the seeds of seven different plants. These are called 'Jwara'. These represent Goddess Parvati who is ceremoniously worshipped for 5 days.

The girls performing this ceremony, eat only once during the day. They do not add salt to the food and eat plain preparations made of flour such as Indian Chapattis, puris, parathas, etc. They also take milk, dairy products and dried fruits. For 5 days, they perform the ritualistic ceremonies, after having had a bath and lighting a deepak. On the fifth night, they are required to keep awake the whole night; they go to the temples, visit their friends and even go to watch films to avoid falling asleep.

On the sixth morning, after bath, they perform the final worship of jwara' and then immerse them into ponds, lakes or any flowing water. The girls perform this ritual every year for five or seven years. Then they finally bring this ceremony to a conclusion by inviting other girls for dinner in their homes. They also give them small gifts as a remembrance of this ceremonial worship.

This ritual is performed with the pious intention of getting a good husband in the future. Pious intentions always fill our lives with happiness. This ceremony is intended to bring happiness in lives of the young girls, who take part in its performance and teach them self-discipline and control.

For anyone who wishes to observes these fasts need to remember to perform guari pooja first and then the Jaya Parvati Vrat to follow regardless of their matrimonial status. You can only observe the Jaya Parvati Vrat after a minimum of 5 years of Guari Pooja fasting. It is also considered good to fast for a period of 5 days for 5 years of Jaya Parvati Vrat continuing immediately after Guari Pooja.

Hello

If you live in NJ, Dwarkadish Mandir in Parlin has pooja's for goiro and jaya parvati from 9 - 12. dwarkadhishtemple.org

If you do not have a chance to go to mandir - then have a shiv ling at home wash it with water 3 times, then wash it with milk 3 times, then wash it with water 3 times, then put kankoo, gulal, white powder(forgot wats it called) and put choka. Take a nadachadi and put it around the shiv ling. then have a mithai in a bowl next to u when u r doing this pooja. Also have fruits and a glass of water. Do a Divo and ajarbati then do the shiv ji aarti. walk around the area 3 times in circle. In all you are bathing the god, doing pooja, and then feeding the god.

Can eat and drink fruits, dry frutis. milkshakes, coffee,tea bhakri, paratha, puri, mithai

No Gaud, no salt, no vegies

Also can somebody please send me the english version of the pooja.

-

Simrin

I have been doing this vrat for a while now and the way in which I have always done it is as follows:

Two days before vrat starts you need to do the Agiyaras which is the 11 day of the month vrat is to start.

The pooja is fairly short and i have an english version of the pooja listing, story and arthi should you wish to use it. I have read several of the replies given and I have never heard of anyone eating cucumber or vegetables such as potatoes. Should you want any more detail i will be happy to oblige

heyy ive been looking for the english version or the story please!!

could you possibly send it to shaileeni@hotmail.co.uk

if so that would be great help! thank you x

hey there Can you pls send me the english version of puja

thank you