IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

God and Mental Helth

Rate this topic

Guest guest

How are we really able to tell what's and illusion and what's not. I simply have no idea and I would not want to say anything or claim something to be right or wrong. I guess for me, that is the anwser and nothing more, that we simply don't know. I think all this is a pathless road if one would want to come to an anwser. It's all just a personal question about wether one want to hope for it or not, wether one want to belive or not.

Picked up a link witch might (and might not) describe alittle about some very-"sci-fi" storys out there. But remember, I do not think any of what's said in this link to be true or not true. I was just thinking that it might be interesting for some of you to read it. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2865009.stm

=)

Guest guest

1. So they say religious experiences result from a defect in the amygdala. Why? Just because a few people who had religious experiences were investigated and they were found to have something abnormal in their amygdala? How do they know that God doesn't communicate through the amygdala? That the amygdala is the most spiritually attuned portion of the brain?

2. They've explained religious experiences through science, but I think it's pure folly to believe that just because science has an explanation for something to occur that it means that God wasn't behind it. God can work through science if he so chooses. Maybe scientific laws are a direct manifestation of how God works.

3. Attributing this "defect" in the amygdala to historical people is rather unscientific, IMHO. Especially to religious characters written about in the scriptures, such as Moses. If Moses were to have only a defective amygdala, he'd be interpreted as CRAZY, not as someone with God supporting him. Nobody would see the religious experiences he claims to have, nor would they see any miracles. Yet, that is not so, in the Bible, people continually see miracles and such performed by Moses, such as the parting of the Red Sea for safe passage.

I'm not saying the Bible's right or any such thing. I just think it's foolish to claim religious experiences of all kinds are just mental delusions that are attributed to a defective amygdala. A few cases of this does not mean ALL cases are of that sort.

Gopi Krishna wrote a book on Kundalini. He spoke of it in purely rational terms, yet he doesn't deny the spiritual context of it either. He talks about how it may have transformed the brain, nervous structure, etc. but he never truly discounts God's doing in this.

Guest guest

but if I were, I'd be seriously pissed off by that comment at the end attributing a defective amygdala to Moses.

when something you belive is true,

and then you live by it,

and then if you get long lasting happiness,

then it is not illusion.

else it is.

the scale between total/absolute truth and total illusion is vast, sometime. so, more truth you know, better (happier) your fruit of action would be.

sometimes even the saints also get trouble becaue of their contact with asuras. e.g. those in the beef industry do not like HK's becaue HK's oppose meat eating, and it hurts beef business. so they make problems to HK's in one way or another.

if one causes problem to saintly person, then one would suffer very badly sooner or later. that is the law of karma. some saits even forgive one who caused them problem.

then one does not suffer if one gives up asuric mentality thenafter.

Guest guest

I guess this first article can show that who were having illusions back in the history, back when the storys has been told? We cannot tell and that's it really (I think). I guess it's all everything and nothing when it comes to tell of things are true or not, cause it's like any myth and religion or whatever told from the history. We simply just choose to belive or not. In this case, we hope for it to be true or not. Sure, we can say that we have esperienced, but so have many people, not just religious people. We all can experience something that is invisible, I guess. What's illusion and what's not, we cannot tell. It's not eaven something to question, cause to find an anwser would be pathless and would never come to a more "end" then the end people who have seen good, krishna etc in this forum.

Why are we having debates like this really? Are we greedy to tell other people our truth, or do we simply have a feeling of being confused....?

I hope we're all doing good and are ok =)