IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
imranhasan

Beginners' Questions

Rate this topic

Is there a place on this forum where one can post questions of a beginner? I have many honest and academic questions regarding Hinduism. Can I ask them here?

If I can, I hope to get a response to my first question, which is: What is the concept of God in Hinduism? Do Hindus believe in more Gods than one?

I would greatly appreciate an answer and guidelines.

"What is the concept of God in Hinduism? "

god is basically 3 things..

bhagavan... the supreme PERSONALITY

paramatma... one manifestation of god who follow everyone of us in all oure existence(s)

brahman... the infinite and undifferentiated divine energy

now there's the subject on what aspect is the most elevated... and if the other aspects are subordinate or they do not exista at all..

for example i, as a gaudya vasihnava (ok... i am trying!!) firmly believe that the Supreme Person is the ultimate source of the other aspects of god because the ultimate truth has to be more complete that the partial ones

so god is one (with many forms and an immense entourage... the devas), he expands in a form who lives at our side and guides us if we recognise and accept him...then the effulgence of god, bhagavan sri krsna, is an energy that pervades every atom of the universe

hinduism is a very broad term. More specifically many here are monotheists believing in only one Supreme God who is ultimately personal.

There are within the universe certain heads of different depts. like water dept, and light dept. etc. but there is no need to worship them separately.

I'm with Theist that Hinduism is very broad. It can be monotheistic, polytheistic, or atheistic. So its a bit hard to define. For instance, Vaisnavas are monotheistic. There are other gods (lowercase g) that are material and temporary, while God is spiritual and eternal.

Greetings and Peace, Guest

Thank you very much for providing the link in response to my question. I have read it and will read it again to get more understanding. However, one point needs some clarification before I can move on. Can you please help me find the answer.

In his opening paragraph in the article, Indas writes:

There can never be the existence of two supremes, as they would mutually contradict each other's supremacy.

This, to my understanding, implies that Hinduism ascribes to One God only. Am I right?

However, further explaining the concept, Indas writes:

First understand the system of control, and then everything will become clear. The Vedic texts describe 330 million devatas, or universal controllers, but we should not confuse these beings with God. God is beyond the purview of the material universe. The devatas are controllers of various aspects of nature within the material realm.

I am a little confused with this clarification. Apparently, it means that the material world is controlled by what you have termed as 'devatas'. Am I right?

My questions are:

1- Are the devatas subordinate to God in controlling the material world. That is, do the devatas control the material world according to the directives of God?

2- Do the devatas control the material world on their own, independent of God?

I greatly appreciate your help.

Guest guest

"Are the devatas subordinate to God in controlling the material world. That is, do the devatas control the material world according to the directives of God?"

yes

Greetings & Peace, yasodanandana

What I understand from your response is that there are three aspects of the concept of God. Can we call them three different attributes of the person of God? Or do they, on the contrary, become three separate persons?

Appreciate your help.

Greetings & Peace, Theist

Thank you for a very precise and clear answer. One question, however, may kindly be addressed. You write:

There are within the universe certain heads of different depts. like water dept, and light dept. etc. but there is no need to worship them separately.

Does this mean that you consider it appropriate that even though there may be heads appointed for different departments, yet because these heads only implement the decisions of the Chief Executive, therefore we strive to 'win the goodwill' (or worship) the chief executive (or the One God) only?

When you say that 'there is no need to worship them separately', does it imply 'one MAY worship them separately' or that 'one SHOULD NOT worship them separately'?

Thank you.

"When you say that 'there is no need to worship them separately', does it imply 'one MAY worship them separately' or that 'one SHOULD NOT worship them separately'?"

you will excuse me if i give my opinion :

it is almost useless to worship devas separately from god, He's the only source of their power so better to worship him.

In this way, the devas , who are devotees and servants of the lord, are more happy and pleased

Guest guest

hasan,

if you are not envious to hinduism or krishna and have friendly attitue to learn, then you would get answers here.

i suggest you first read gita.

see gita at www.asitis.com

it has only 700 verses.

Just read the translations, and you will know a lot.

That is the book of hinduism.

it is a summary of 80,000 verse vedas, teh original books of hinduism.

jai sri krishna! -madhav