IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Strange Characters

Rate this topic

Guest guest

These strange characters I'm seeing are coming from devotees who want to post excerpts from Vedabase.net. That's an excellent resource with all of Srila Prabhupada's books with transliterated text + diacritics and translation.

The only problem is, when copy-cut-pasting excerpts from vedabase.net to here, we see a whole bunch of strange characters. I tried it once and the same thing happened (luckily I saw it in a preview and thus edited the transliteration to use only ASCii characters).

The thing I wonder is, is there some way of upgrading this forum so that we can see the diacritical marks copy-cut-pasted from vedabase.net? It would be a tremendous help since many of us like to quote from shAstra, and I sometimes get the feeling that Harvard-Kyoto or ITRANS transliteration makes some devotees feel intimidated (though I don't think they should).

For the time being, i think this method avoids that. This is from a previous post by a guest.

Hare Krishna

First you should Cut/Paste your article to Notepad, then paste from there to Here, you can avioid these symbols that way, that is the way I do it. oh and viewing your post (in preview mode) to see if its ok helps as well prabhu!!

Guest guest

I tried that but it didn't work. I copied the Vedabase.net text (including diacritics) to Notepad and pasted it there. Then I selected the text on Notepad, copied it, and pasted it here. The preview still showed the strange characters.

What am I doing wrong?

Guest guest

<font color="blue">I will look into it. It may not be too hard to fix on the site itself if you don't find an easy way to support those characters in forums.

Thank you for your feedback!

Sean (vedabase.net webservant)</font color>