IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

Great Innovations: Balaram Mrdangas

Rate this topic

The other day I was thinking about what a great innovation the Balaram Mrdangas are. What is so brilliant about them is that they are a perfect fusion of western technology and thinking with Eastern design. I believe it was Ishan Prabhu who originally developed these fiberglass mrdangas. Has anyone heard from Ishan lately? Anyways I just wanted to note this great innovation.

Gauracandra

Originally posted by Gauracandra:

The other day I was thinking about what a great innovation the Balaram Mrdangas are. What is so brilliant about them is that they are a perfect fusion of western technology and thinking with Eastern design. I believe it was Ishan Prabhu who originally developed these fiberglass mrdangas. Has anyone heard from Ishan lately? Anyways I just wanted to note this great innovation.

Gauracandra

I remember one time being in a crowded elevator behind Ishan prabhu. It was dead silent in that kind of nervous elevator-type atmosphere, except for Ishan chanting his japa rapidly non-stop, glancing up at each of us now and then with this strangely furtive wild-eyed look.

Just before the doors opened onto the ground floor, after a long ride down with many stops and still no one saying a word except for Ishan and his non-too-soft staccato japa, he suddenly turned towards the packed elevator and, fidgeting about, mumbled apologetically, "I'm sorry, but if I don't keep doing this I'll go crazy!"

That was back in the very early seventies, I guess, and the look in his eyes told us he meant it!

valaya RR

For those who don't know what a "Balarama Mridanga" is, it's a fiber glass and rubber version of the Bengali mridanga used in ISKCON temples. It really is a great idea. The sound is identical with the clay mridanga (but louder), and they are nearly indestructable.

A few weeks back I went to Sri Sacchidananda Ganapathi's Ashram here in Mysore, and even they have a few "Balarama Mridangas" imported from the Los Angeles ISKCON temple where they are made.

Amazing to think of how widespread the Balaram mrdanga has become.

I think the greatest innovation was the Simply Wonderful.

Take a cup of powdered milk (sorry Darwin, but this one is most transcendental! and surely must benefit the cow when its product is being offered to the Lord), a cup of powdered sugar (this is so transcendental that one must surely not suffer the ill effects of white sugar when it is offered to Kanea), and a stick of butter. Add things like walnuts or raisins and roll into balls. Don't forget to say your prayers. Distribute prefusely.

Valaya,

Great story about Ishan.

As for the Balaram Mrdanga, I think its a great form of ingenuity. Are their any other instruments that could be modified?

I have heard there are electric pumped Harmoniums. This way one hand is untied. Does this produce a nice quality sound? I figure with two hands one could create very nice music.

Gauracandra

Originally posted by JRdd:

Amazing to think of how widespread the Balaram mrdanga has become.

I think the greatest innovation was the Simply Wonderful.

Take a cup of powdered milk (sorry Darwin, but this one is most transcendental! and surely must benefit the cow when its product is being offered to the Lord), a cup of powdered sugar (this is so transcendental that one must surely not suffer the ill effects of white sugar when it is offered to Kanea), and a stick of butter. Add things like walnuts or raisins and roll into balls. Don't forget to say your prayers. Distribute prefusely.

I'm never sure whether powdered milk means regular or instant, and I guess whole would be better than skim...?

A further innovation is the mridangas made by Pavamana das in San Diego. He has worked out a way of stringing leather heads on fiberglass shells, so you have durability and the (I believe) superior sound of the leather drum heads. As much as I appreviate the Balarama drums, I still prefer clay khols.

Guest guest

Hare Krishna!

Please forgive my ignorance, but does anyone know how/where to purchase the Balaram mrdanga heads and metal plates etc.? I've a mrdangs body that needs them (they've disappear (unmanifested). Thanks! Gauranga!

Guest guest

Does anyone who plays these drums have feedback on how the sound of the balaram mridanga at www.vedicresource.com compares to the other drum there called "fiberglass mridanga drum (regular)" with the more traditional appearance?

thanks!