IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

mixed marriages/relationships

Rate this topic

Guest guest

what are your thoughts and experiences on mixed marriages/relationships. do they work? would you consider it yourself? do you have a more tradtionalist view and think you should only go out/marry with people of your own race/creed? or do you feel it's ok to go out/marry with anyone?

We are all souls wrapped in these material bodies, and the soul doesn't have a color. So this debate isn't worth starting in the first place. Look at this verse from Bhagavad-Gita:

A person is considered still further advanced when he regards honest well-wishers, affectionate benefactors, the neutral, mediators, the envious, friends and enemies, the pious and the sinners all with an equal mind. (BG 6.9)

Guest guest

Hare Krishna.

It doesn't matter about the color or race of the person, but it does matter when it comes to beliefs of the two people.

If one is an atheist and the other religious, then it makes no sense to marry.

if one is a devotee and other has no interest in becoming one, then there is no sense in marrying, otherwise both will suffer.

Divorce is very high these days due to the incompatibility of the two minds.

A devotee should only marry a devotee, unless he wants to risk more pangs of material life than otherwise.

If one is a vegetarian then there is no point in marrying a cow eater, etc..

Guest guest

Hare Krishna.

Marriages are only successful if the life of the two is centered on God and not on each other (lust).

Guest guest

yeah, you are right. although i think it is very difficult unless both people are practising the same faith sincerely.

Guest guest

well its true. in this material world everyone just looks out for themselves rather than each other.

ofcourse I do agree with making krishna the centre of your life, isyavasyam

But I have noticed that sometimes mixing does not work out.... for example

an indian-bodied man marries an american bodied women.... tough they are both devotees there are still diffrences.. two diffrent backgrounds!!

But it can work out, I am only sharing this with you because I have seen many cases in which it did not work out..

I am a Caucasian woman and I would much rather marry someone of the Hindu faith, I think it would be much easier on me and the other person. Though I don't really care about color it would be nice to have an Indian man since I like more (how should i put this) exotic men :)

Guest guest

Can a man have more than one wife? If yes, then show me the chapter of Bhaghavad Gita which plural marriage is allowed. Please let me know the advantages and disadvantages of plural marriage.Also, show me good quotes on plural marriage, if possible. Thanks in advance...

Guest guest

what are your thoughts and experiences on mixed marriages/relationships. do they work? would you consider it yourself? do you have a more tradtionalist view and think you should only go out/marry with people of your own race/creed? or do you feel it's ok to go out/marry with anyone?

As long as love is there then there is no problem. Also, I recommend couples do a Vedic Astrology test to determine if they are soulmates. There is destiny involved in love.

Guest guest

From a religious angle this shouldn't be a problem if the couple are of the same religion of have similar beliefs. If the couple are from two very different religions then there is likely to be a problem, expecially when concerning any children they might have and rituals, practices, etc.

If the couple of are from two different races then there shouldn't be a problem between the actual couple, but from the family, friends and community may object. Generally, Indians prefer to marry their own.

Guest guest

Can a man have more than one wife? If yes, then show me the chapter of Bhaghavad Gita which plural marriage is allowed. Please let me know the advantages and disadvantages of plural marriage.Also, show me good quotes on plural marriage, if possible. Thanks in advance...

I strongly support polygamy. I believe it could solve a lot of the relationship problems nowadays and it would also mean a lot less infidelity on Jerry Springer. Unfortunately, it is outlawed in the U.S.A. This is unconstitutional.

Fifth Amendment:

"...nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;..."

It also goes against the Declaration of Independence:

"...that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.."

what are your thoughts and experiences on mixed marriages/relationships. do they work? would you consider it yourself? do you have a more traditionalist view and think you should only go out/marry with people of your own race/creed? or do you feel it's ok to go out/marry with anyone?

The more compatible the two are, the better. If they share similar interests and goals, are both willing to compromise at times, and assist each other in their Krsna consciousness, then there is a better chance for a successful marriage.

As far as being "mixed", they don't take the difference as very significant. At least this has been my experience, after nearly 30 years of being married to a devotee outside of my culture. She is oriental, and I am not. Of course this is speaking on the material platform...

Hare Krsna,

mixed marriges can work, however imo as you get older your likely to become more spiritual and probably practise religion more as you mature, and ofcourse it would be easier if both partners were to worship in the same way together:)

perhaps one partner could change, but it is false to think that you will definitely convince the other of a particular way of practise,