IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

why was krishna blue

Rate this topic

Guest guest

i havnt fully read the gita and maybe its in there but why was krishna blue was there any spiritual purposes? because it seems weird that he was blue. forgive me if i am offending i am ignorant on the subject, but any answers would help.

hare krishna!

Here ji:

SB.3.28.13 Purport (exceprt)

The color of the Personality of Godhead, Krsna, is described here as nilotpala-dala, meaning that it is like that of a lotus flower with petals tinted blue and white. People always ask why Krsna is blue. The color of the Lord has not been imagined by an artist. It is described in authoritative scripture. In the Brahma-samhita also, the color of Krsna's body is compared to that of a bluish cloud. The color of the Lord is not poetical imagination.

SB: 10.2.35 Purport (excerpt)

Syama means blackish, yet they say that You are more beautiful than thousands of cupids.

CC: Antya.7.86

"The only purport of the holy name of Krsna is that He is dark blue like a tamala tree and is the son of mother Yasoda. This is the conclusion of all the revealed scriptures.'

----

Krishna's colour:

lotus flower with petals tinted blue and white

blackish

dark blue like a tamala tree

www.vedabase.net {read Purports} /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Guest guest

well, I do respect many things about Krishna and his wisdom, but the thing is after 5000 years many myths have been added to the cult, like the jews have done to their culture...myths and myths...I just believe that Krishna like many Indians nowadays was just black-blued skin and with his rayonnance as a sage man it could be seen as "syama blue"...ok, please, forgive me if I hurt youe sensitiveness but please, try to see things straight away out of mysthical and blind faith.

well, I do respect many things about Krishna and his wisdom, but the thing is after 5000 years many myths have been added to the cult, like the jews have done to their culture...myths and myths...I just believe that Krishna like many Indians nowadays was just black-blued skin and with his rayonnance as a sage man it could be seen as "syama blue"...ok, please, forgive me if I hurt youe sensitiveness but please, try to see things straight away out of mysthical and blind faith.

What is this? because it's anonymous you think it's ok to cut down people's religions or something? How would you like it if someone went to a religious board that you post at and say that your religion and faith is just imaginary and doesn't exist? you need to learn some manners dude. It's your choice if you don't want to believe in our religion, but don't cut it down because you don't understand it.

Hare Krishna

Guest guest

does it matter if I add my passport photo and stats in here???

I'm not telling injuries to your faith, blind or not, it's just fair and frankly criticism...by the way, I do not believe in any religion simply because yhey are all man-made (yes, by MEN, macho and rude men many times) and put women very down...I do believe in the supreme soul as you say in krishnaism, but please, some things are really unbearable...I would love to find Krishna consciousness in a more down-to-earth philosophy with the four principles but you are like all the other religionists, blind and deaf, lesser than the jews, the muslins ...the christians???ahhahh hahahahahaaa those are simply opportunists!

I don't need your photo but I somehow doubt you would ever speak such thing to my or anyone else's here face. Also you have the right not to believe in religion. But you should understand that for us Krishna Consciousness is not man-made, it is made by God Himself. I could sit and tell you a million things but you still wouldn't believe it, so I'll just tell you it's faith, and not blind faith either, open minded free thinking faith. Also if you'd like to follow the 4 regs then I'd suggest you do that, maybe by doing this you will gain some religious tolerance and maybe even come to Krishna Consciousness yourself one day.

Hare Krishna

Guest guest

Krishna is eternal and the Cause of all Causes.

Nothing is causing Him to be a certain way, He just is.

He just is blue.

Your servant,

Nityananda Ram Das

Guest guest

I heard that In India artists would paint Krishna Blue to set him apart from others in paintings. He is described as having a bluish-blackish skin, but when he is depicted in paintings, I think the color was just always meant to set him apart. I may be totally off, but I did read this on a website somewhere (can't remember where, sorry!) (I will look though)

Guest guest

...if moderator allows...

there are so many questions to ask and of course many of them should hurt your believes and make the myths shake...with all my respect of course.

Guest guest

....just see how the US artists in the movement paint Krishna with european features and the crowd around him white skinned...I can hardly imagine those scenes in India with real Indians 5OOO years ago...I think we can see the same exemple on the paintings done by the followers of Jesus Christ of Latter Days...the Christ is shown as most as a swedish man encircled by Whites-only european style crowd...and you must think that Jesus was jew and original jews by race (not by culture) are Semites like the palestinians, the jordanians and the arab-lebanese. Of course, if you come with those arguments inevitably you'll called a demon!

Guest guest

I'm sure what you said is more down-to-earth than many quotations some can tell here and there...actually Indian artists could put Krishna in a way to be distinguished amidst the others. Nevertheless, I most believe as Krishna the supreme personality in the universe coming to ancient India with a skin colour like the modern Indians: black-bluish! of course, after 5000 years around, artist imaginery is very very flamboyant. I would love to hear about Krishna without things I would call, please forgive me, myths.

Guest guest

why is it a myth?

Is it impossible for God to come down in the colour blue?

Why u limit God to material boundaries?

Artistry in the disciplic succession is still based on strict scriptural guidelines.

Guest guest

...where are these guidelines for drawing Krishna or making deity of Krishna?

Prabhupada always said they are based on scriptural guidelines so are not man-made.

Does anyone know which scriptures have this information on how to make bona fide pictures of Krsna?

Or is it just based on the guru/acharya?

Hare Krishna

Mr nasty, there is a proper method to ask questions. From the look of it, what you can ask that in your words "hurt your believes and make the myths shake", will mostly be ignored. Many of the people who have taken to Krishna Consciousness, have done so after studying a huge number of philosophies and putting genuine questions. Only after they have been convinced of the beauty, completeness and of the results of following it have they taken up Krishna Consciousness; and many here have much more knowledge than you can think. So if you want to ask questions go ahead, but yes administrative action will come into play if you ask questions in the manner you have been posting.

take care

Guest guest

menacing me with administrative Iraq-style embargo, but you should know that most people would consider hearing about Krishna without things, you know, that should be told only to much more advanced connaisseurs like you...how can you be so disturbed when you hear that someone can believe in Krishna but not agreeing with many stories that could have been added along years and years of passing generations...like that story jews love to tell about king Salomon flying around the world (Judea I suppose) mounted on the back of a huge black swan. Did you read my post about paintings done about US devotees and the idea that India at that time seemed to be crowded with a european white-skinned population? I would like to see those paintings with real convincing black-bluish people like we found in India today, this is not offensive, just a clear remark.

Guest guest

"someone can believe in Krishna but not agreeing with many stories..."

for a pupil there's no question of agreeing or not..

simply study carefully scriptures, practice gaudya vaishnavism under a bona fide spiritual master, chant hare krishna whitout offences... and after many years of hard work, if you do not literallysee krsna, you will have the right to disagree and to say that vedic facts are myths

anyone who he hasn't yet started to study medicine he cannot pretend to say "i disagree on your cancer's cure..."

so first examine carefully and practice..

Hare Krishna

Its nice to know that you have the power to judge what constitutes a good reply and a bad reply; its a news to know that you can be "menaced due to admininstrative Iraq-style embargo".

Seriously, re-read your previous posts, have a little of basic courteousness and if you are not here just to abuse then you are welcome to ask questions. Also using a better name than nasty would help.

Hare Krishna

That depiction is perfectly correct. The color of Krishna has been compared to that of dark cloud, so many a times He is shown as blue. The associates of Krishna, Sri Radharani and Lord Balarama are all fair skinned. There are always some subjective elements, but that doesn't matter.

So actually you have never seen the paintings in India, those of Mewar, other Rajasthani schools etc. Sometimes Krishna is shown blue which is the transcendental color of His Narayana form, and sometimes He is shown as black colored. The associates are always shown fair skinned.

Krishna is eternal and the Cause of all Causes.

Nothing is causing Him to be a certain way, He just is

This was perhaps the best answer I saw here to the original poster's question. Others did not seem to grasp the question. He wasn't looking for sources saying "Krishna is blue", but for the reason, the "why" he is blue.

While I'm not an adherant to Vaisnavism, I would (if I were so inclined) offer the following as an answer - the lesser qualities, and characteristics of this physical/temporal world, are a murky reflection of the Deity, Who embodies all such perfections. All things are predicated upon Him. Thus, if in His Personal "form" He were to have what we would call "blue" skin, it's not really He who has skin the same colour as the sky, but the sky which is the same colour as His skin.

Guest guest

Sea is blue. Sky is blue. No one confine sea or sky becuase they are limitless. So, Krishna, the god of gods is blue.

Out of crores of people, a few fortunate soul can understand Krishna, his name, his beauty and his pastime.

He is such limitless. With our limited sense, we will never ever understand Krishna. His extent of revelation can only be seen by our degree of devotion.

Not all Indians are "blackish-blue". I have seen Indians as black as an African and some as white as cotton, akk shades of brown, some have golden complexions and some are even red, like a garnet. Indians comes in all hues and colors. If you wanted to get down to the roots, Indians are descendants of the Aryan race, the same as the Europeans. If you look at a North Indian and South Indian there is a huge dramatic difference in color tone. Why are you making this into a racial issue anyway? This is not a good place to have your mind prabhu. Remember, we are not this body.

-Gopalapriya das

Guest guest

Hare Krishna!

Was Krishnas skin colour different because he was not actually composed of ordinary physical matter the way the rest our universe is ?

Ordinary matter has its physical limits - would a body made of ordinary matter be able to lift a hill for instance?

Forgive me for any offence due to ignorance.

My regards to all devotees.

Haribol!