IndiaDivine.org

Need Dhammapada Translation to Sanskrit

Rate this topic

Rachel Scarfone

I want to translate the first verse from the Nagavagga portion in the Dhammapada into sanskrit. I want to incorporate it into some artwork I am doing and I can't seem to find it anywhere (I am also considering adding it to an elephant tattoo I have so I want to verify that it is correct)!

Also, is there a print version of the Dhammapada that is in sanskrit? I really want a copy of it for future reference, but It appears as if this has not been done.

It is verse 320:

As an elephant in battlefield withstands the arrow shot from a bow, so shall I endure abuse. Indeed, many people are without morality.

If it is easier to translate I believe that this is written in Gandhari:

Aham nagova sangame

capato patitam saram

ativakyam titikkhissam

dussilo hi bahujjano.

Thank you very much to anybody who helps out, I greatly appreciate the time taken :D

• 1 month later...

Im sorry to post on your thread without an answer but i too need a translation. i need Sun, god, light, gift , me , your, divine, in sanskrit not in a phrase but seperate words. And if anyone is feeling gutsy i would also appreciate Holy to God translated to sanskrit. Light and Love to all.

• 1 month later...

Namaskara, Racheldevi,

ahaM nAgeva saMgrame

cApAt patitaM sharam

ativAkyaM titikS`nu sama

duhshilo hi bahujanAh

the metres don't scan! It still needs work, grammatically & metrically, but here is a quick & dirty rendering.

Please note [aM] is the bindu form of "m" when it precedes most consonants

We have ignored sandhi except for "duhshilo" to keep it closer to the original.

"ativAkya" is a Buddhist term for the 8 types of ignoble behavior; here, vAkya means the words or spoken code/discipline of good behavior

i.e. in a monastic environment, there will be many who will provoke the aspiring bhikShu with their out-of-line behavior & speech. BUT s/he is advised to endure these pricks/provocations with forbearance. S/he should think " I [aham] (shall be) like the war-elephant in battle, who endures the arrow loosed from a bow."