IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
othairoja

Sapta-sathi

Rate this topic

In Sapta-sathi, 9 demons are killed by Devi. It is my belief that these asuras are none other than things we had to kill in our selves. I do belief the names of these asuras are the clues and also the order in which they were killed also have a purpose ie which ones we should tackle first in order to attain liberation. I am searching for these meanings. I read in one of the postings that Madhu Kaitabha means Honey bees, hard working bees with only one focus ie working to save honey. It does not seem bad at first. But when work takes over, then the search for liberation is lost. In one of the translations, Madhu and Kaitabha are refered to as "Too little" and "Too much". In other words when you put both together, we have discontentment, which keeps you circling in the materialistic world. If any one knows the meanings of the names of these asuras, please reply.

Thank you.

In Devadatta Kali's excellent interpretation of Devi Mahatmyam, Madhu and Kaithaba are Anger and Brute Force. Mahishasura is Delusion protecting the ego ruled by attachment, aversion and fear. Chiksura is petty/small mindedness. Chamara is thick skinned. Dhumralochana is clouded vision. Chanda and Munda are Lust and greed. Rakthabheeja is Desire due to a restless mind. Nishumba is Attachment to materialistic things while Shumba is Send of I-ness. Sugriva the messenger is Deceit.

You are absolutely right that the asuras signify the different negative aspects of ourselves which we need to remove systematically. The order in which they go, is not necessarily like that prescribed in the Devi Mahatmyam.