IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Please help with cravings

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Katie,I don't think you're eating too much. In fact, it might behoove you and your family to mix in a banana or some peanut butter with your oatmeal every morning just to keep yourself full for longer. Make sure you're getting enough protien, carbs and yes even good fats (e.g. olive oil, nuts, etc.) to fill you up and keep your body running. Maybe talking to a nutritionist would help. It's something I've always wanted to do. Oh, make sure if you are becoming a vegan to take a B12 vitamin or eat a food which is fortified with it because it's basically impossible to get otherwise.Sarahheartwerk <jo.heartwork Sent: Mon, February 8, 2010 1:55:00 AM Re:Please help with cravings

Hi

It could be that you feel cravings not because of any lack of any food item but simply because you consider your new eating style as a diet, to lose weight etc. Your mind probably is feeling deprived because of this. I would guess that you cannot actually be hungry from what you said you eat every day, which is probably about double what I eat.

Jo

@gro ups.com, "Katie" <greenrootsmama@ ...> wrote:

>

> I did not choose veganism because I felt any particular guilt about consuming animal flesh. I am, however, positively revolted by the treatment of the animals in the mass-producing meat industry. Rather, I chose veganism to improve my health and the health of my family (we are a little overweight and my husband had high blood pressure). I am breastfeeding so I try to limit the more "gassy" foods. Since there is such a controversy about whether or not soy is healthy, we limit that as well from a "better safe than sorry" standpoint. Besides, I really don't like tofu. I'm thinking that the reason we're hungry all the time is because animal protein takes longer to digest and, therefore, keeps us feeling satisfied for a longer period of time. Vegetables, however, digest more easily and rapidly, leaving a gastric void resulting in hunger. So it seems that we will have to deal with this incessant hunger for a while until our bodies acclimate to the

change.

>

> The disgust you feel at the thought of ingesting animal protein was a wonderful motivator for you to change your eating habits; for me it's my health. The thought of leaving my children orphaned or making my husband a widower is a very powerful motivator for me. Less dramatic would be that I want a better quality of life, not only for me but also for my family, devoid of dependency upon medical facilities and prescriptions. So whatever the reason an individual arrives at veganism, the important point is that we are making an effort to clean up our little green and blue world. Veganism is inarguably a better lifestyle choice from both an ecological and health perspective. I think this group is wonderful for its diversity and deliberate thought. I'm delighted to be a part of it. :)

>

> Katie

>

> @gro ups.com, "sprightcat" <sprightcat@ > wrote:

> >

> > I guess i am confused, as to you having cravings and being hungry. What is teh reason you have gone vegan? I have gone vegan because I do not want to eat animals or be part of the ridiculous mistreatment that most people are blind too. I guess at first i got cravings too, and the reason of my going vegan washed those cravings away. Your post, to me, and this is strictly just my opinion and i mean no disrespect, sounds as though you have gone on the south beach diet to lose a few lbs and you need a cookie. What you are starting out on is a life changing,again in my opinion-for the better, decision you are making. Do you want to help your health, help animals, eat healthier..whatever your reason is, do you want to be vegan is the question. It is not a matter of willpower, it is a matter almost of mental strength. Do you want to hold fast to what choice you are attempting to make...or do you want a slice of cheese?? The decision for people who

want to do this is clear. It is not easy, but it is now a mental puzzle for you. You will now need to find substitutions for the things you ate everyday. or you open your mind to new things that excite your senses. You sound to me as though you are almost dreading the change, look to it as a challenge. There are so many "cheese" substitutes out there, have you tried any? They satisfy just fine. I was a cheese-o-holic when i first started. but i rarely even think about it now, because when i missed it, i simply thought about where it came from and it made me sick and i didn't want to eat it.

> > as far being full, it is honestly no different than starting any diet...look around, see what parameters you have and start trying things. broc and cauliflower are "fill you up foods"- one of my favorite recipes is broccoli salad. fills you up, is yummy awesome.

> > take a head of broc,a head of cali and blanch in boiling water for 1 minute. take a cup of vegenase,1/4 of sweetener(sugar, ect) and 1 tblp(or more to your liking)mix all together and make a dressing, dump and mix over the broc and cali. throw in some chopped onion and also some mix of vegan bacos,soybeans, sunflower seeds(you can getthe mccormic mix ins) this recipe is awesome, filling and comforting. try this.

> > stay strong and think about why you are making this choice. That is what will stop your cravings.

> > www.vegweb.com is the most incredible vegan site. I love it. try some of the recipes. This is where i got started.

> > didn't mean to be mean, just wanted to be realistic. Good luck on your journey

> >

> > @gro ups.com, bantrymoon <bantrymoon@ > wrote:

> > >

> > > >>>> It's like a craving that we can't quite place so we just keep

> > > eating hoping that just being "full" will help. Do any of you have any

> > > insight as to how long this will last? How about any tips to satisfy the

> > > cravings? <<<<

> > >

> > > I went through that as well. I used to eat cheese when I felt a bit

> > > hungry, and when I went vegan I would feel undefined cravings. I don't

> > > anymore, and I don't recall when it stopped, so I assume it's a

> > > transitional feeling.

> > >

> > > I did find some quick bites to help with afternoon hunger. I love veggie

> > > cold cuts and hot dogs, I'd grab a few slices or eat one hot dog. It

> > > would fill me up pretty well until dinner. I also found that eating a

> > > piece of fruit at the end of the school day (I'm a teacher) gives me a

> > > good boost.

> > >

> > > Cheers,

> > >

> > > --

> > > Trish Carr

> > > http://home. comcast.net/ ~bantrymoon/

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

This is a very good point that I will have to deliberate. I like to think of it

more as a lifestyle change than a diet though. The word " diet " to me means

starving ones self for a period of time in an effort to lose weight. It's not

just about eating differently; it's about thinking differently, living

consciously. Our eating habit is only one of many ways that we're trying to

evolve ourselves - a small piece of a much bigger puzzle. I really do feel good

about this. I just have to work on changing the way I think about it.

Katie

, " heartwerk " <jo.heartwork wrote:

>

> Hi

>

> It could be that you feel cravings not because of any lack of any food item

but simply because you consider your new eating style as a diet, to lose weight

etc. Your mind probably is feeling deprived because of this. I would guess

that you cannot actually be hungry from what you said you eat every day, which

is probably about double what I eat.

>

> Jo

>

> , " Katie " <greenrootsmama@> wrote:

> >

> > I did not choose veganism because I felt any particular guilt about

consuming animal flesh. I am, however, positively revolted by the treatment of

the animals in the mass-producing meat industry. Rather, I chose veganism to

improve my health and the health of my family (we are a little overweight and my

husband had high blood pressure). I am breastfeeding so I try to limit the more

" gassy " foods. Since there is such a controversy about whether or not soy is

healthy, we limit that as well from a " better safe than sorry " standpoint.

Besides, I really don't like tofu. I'm thinking that the reason we're hungry all

the time is because animal protein takes longer to digest and, therefore, keeps

us feeling satisfied for a longer period of time. Vegetables, however, digest

more easily and rapidly, leaving a gastric void resulting in hunger. So it seems

that we will have to deal with this incessant hunger for a while until our

bodies acclimate to the change.

> >

> > The disgust you feel at the thought of ingesting animal protein was a

wonderful motivator for you to change your eating habits; for me it's my health.

The thought of leaving my children orphaned or making my husband a widower is a

very powerful motivator for me. Less dramatic would be that I want a better

quality of life, not only for me but also for my family, devoid of dependency

upon medical facilities and prescriptions. So whatever the reason an individual

arrives at veganism, the important point is that we are making an effort to

clean up our little green and blue world. Veganism is inarguably a better

lifestyle choice from both an ecological and health perspective. I think this

group is wonderful for its diversity and deliberate thought. I'm delighted to be

a part of it. :)

> >

> > Katie

> >

> > , " sprightcat " <sprightcat@> wrote:

> > >

> > > I guess i am confused, as to you having cravings and being hungry. What is

teh reason you have gone vegan? I have gone vegan because I do not want to eat

animals or be part of the ridiculous mistreatment that most people are blind

too. I guess at first i got cravings too, and the reason of my going vegan

washed those cravings away. Your post, to me, and this is strictly just my

opinion and i mean no disrespect, sounds as though you have gone on the south

beach diet to lose a few lbs and you need a cookie. What you are starting out on

is a life changing,again in my opinion-for the better, decision you are making.

Do you want to help your health, help animals, eat healthier..whatever your

reason is, do you want to be vegan is the question. It is not a matter of

willpower, it is a matter almost of mental strength. Do you want to hold fast to

what choice you are attempting to make...or do you want a slice of cheese?? The

decision for people who want to do this is clear. It is not easy, but it is now

a mental puzzle for you. You will now need to find substitutions for the things

you ate everyday. or you open your mind to new things that excite your senses.

You sound to me as though you are almost dreading the change, look to it as a

challenge. There are so many " cheese " substitutes out there, have you tried any?

They satisfy just fine. I was a cheese-o-holic when i first started. but i

rarely even think about it now, because when i missed it, i simply thought about

where it came from and it made me sick and i didn't want to eat it.

> > > as far being full, it is honestly no different than starting any

diet...look around, see what parameters you have and start trying things. broc

and cauliflower are " fill you up foods " - one of my favorite recipes is broccoli

salad. fills you up, is yummy awesome.

> > > take a head of broc,a head of cali and blanch in boiling water for 1

minute. take a cup of vegenase,1/4 of sweetener(sugar,ect) and 1 tblp(or more to

your liking)mix all together and make a dressing, dump and mix over the broc and

cali. throw in some chopped onion and also some mix of vegan

bacos,soybeans,sunflower seeds(you can getthe mccormic mix ins) this recipe is

awesome, filling and comforting. try this.

> > > stay strong and think about why you are making this choice. That is what

will stop your cravings.

> > > www.vegweb.com is the most incredible vegan site. I love it. try some of

the recipes. This is where i got started.

> > > didn't mean to be mean, just wanted to be realistic. Good luck on your

journey

> > >

> > > , bantrymoon <bantrymoon@> wrote:

> > > >

> > > > >>>> It's like a craving that we can't quite place so we just keep

> > > > eating hoping that just being " full " will help. Do any of you have any

> > > > insight as to how long this will last? How about any tips to satisfy the

> > > > cravings? <<<<

> > > >

> > > > I went through that as well. I used to eat cheese when I felt a bit

> > > > hungry, and when I went vegan I would feel undefined cravings. I don't

> > > > anymore, and I don't recall when it stopped, so I assume it's a

> > > > transitional feeling.

> > > >

> > > > I did find some quick bites to help with afternoon hunger. I love veggie

> > > > cold cuts and hot dogs, I'd grab a few slices or eat one hot dog. It

> > > > would fill me up pretty well until dinner. I also found that eating a

> > > > piece of fruit at the end of the school day (I'm a teacher) gives me a

> > > > good boost.

> > > >

> > > > Cheers,

> > > >

> > > > --

> > > > Trish Carr

> > > > http://home.comcast.net/~bantrymoon/

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Katie,

Good health is a nice side effect of a vegan diet, but deciding NOT to eat animals because you don't want to be a part of killing (murder) is the motivator that makes the non-violent diet work. Take away flesh, dairy (liquid flesh) and eggs and you are left with the best real foods on earth....the original foods for humans. There are so many countless delicious choices to choose from. Eating animals is a habit that is usually accompanied with very limited choices from the fruit and vegetable array. As soon as you remove your dependency (habit) on animals, you will creatively find yourself gravitating more and more towards "live" foods that you had never eaten before. You say that you did not stop eating animals because you felt any guilt about it, then you say that you are revolted at the way that animals are treated. Somewhere in

there you came to stop eating meat because you don't want to be a part of forced-imprisonment, torture, rape and murder. When you can acknowledge this serious ethical issue MORE instead of your claim that it is purely about health, then you will see how being a vegan is a diet that you will figure out.......because you want to make it work. Good luck!

(P.S. Soy is not JUST tofu: it is a super healthy food, available in many forms. Anyone who brings down this wonder bean is doing so because their animal eating habit (addiction) has got the best of them. Beans of the world: run and hide: you could be next!)

Veganly for ALL animals,

Lyn

--- On Sun, 2/7/10, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

heartwerk <jo.heartwork Re:Please help with cravings Date: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 11:55 PM

HiIt could be that you feel cravings not because of any lack of any food item but simply because you consider your new eating style as a diet, to lose weight etc. Your mind probably is feeling deprived because of this. I would guess that you cannot actually be hungry from what you said you eat every day, which is probably about double what I eat.Jo @gro ups.com, "Katie" <greenrootsmama@ ...> wrote:>> I did not choose veganism because I felt any particular guilt about consuming animal flesh. I am, however, positively revolted by the treatment of the animals in the mass-producing meat industry. Rather, I chose veganism to improve my health and the health of my family (we are a little overweight and my husband had high blood

pressure). I am breastfeeding so I try to limit the more "gassy" foods. Since there is such a controversy about whether or not soy is healthy, we limit that as well from a "better safe than sorry" standpoint. Besides, I really don't like tofu. I'm thinking that the reason we're hungry all the time is because animal protein takes longer to digest and, therefore, keeps us feeling satisfied for a longer period of time. Vegetables, however, digest more easily and rapidly, leaving a gastric void resulting in hunger. So it seems that we will have to deal with this incessant hunger for a while until our bodies acclimate to the change.> > The disgust you feel at the thought of ingesting animal protein was a wonderful motivator for you to change your eating habits; for me it's my health. The thought of leaving my children orphaned or making my husband a widower is a very powerful motivator for me. Less dramatic would be that I want a better quality

of life, not only for me but also for my family, devoid of dependency upon medical facilities and prescriptions. So whatever the reason an individual arrives at veganism, the important point is that we are making an effort to clean up our little green and blue world. Veganism is inarguably a better lifestyle choice from both an ecological and health perspective. I think this group is wonderful for its diversity and deliberate thought. I'm delighted to be a part of it. :)> > Katie > > @gro ups.com, "sprightcat" <sprightcat@ > wrote:> >> > I guess i am confused, as to you having cravings and being hungry. What is teh reason you have gone vegan? I have gone vegan because I do not want to eat animals or be part of the

ridiculous mistreatment that most people are blind too. I guess at first i got cravings too, and the reason of my going vegan washed those cravings away. Your post, to me, and this is strictly just my opinion and i mean no disrespect, sounds as though you have gone on the south beach diet to lose a few lbs and you need a cookie. What you are starting out on is a life changing,again in my opinion-for the better, decision you are making. Do you want to help your health, help animals, eat healthier..whatever your reason is, do you want to be vegan is the question. It is not a matter of willpower, it is a matter almost of mental strength. Do you want to hold fast to what choice you are attempting to make...or do you want a slice of cheese?? The decision for people who want to do this is clear. It is not easy, but it is now a mental puzzle for you. You will now need to find substitutions for the things you ate everyday. or you open your mind to new things

that excite your senses. You sound to me as though you are almost dreading the change, look to it as a challenge. There are so many "cheese" substitutes out there, have you tried any? They satisfy just fine. I was a cheese-o-holic when i first started. but i rarely even think about it now, because when i missed it, i simply thought about where it came from and it made me sick and i didn't want to eat it.> > as far being full, it is honestly no different than starting any diet...look around, see what parameters you have and start trying things. broc and cauliflower are "fill you up foods"- one of my favorite recipes is broccoli salad. fills you up, is yummy awesome. > > take a head of broc,a head of cali and blanch in boiling water for 1 minute. take a cup of vegenase,1/4 of sweetener(sugar, ect) and 1 tblp(or more to your liking)mix all together and make a dressing, dump and mix over the broc and cali. throw in some chopped onion and

also some mix of vegan bacos,soybeans, sunflower seeds(you can getthe mccormic mix ins) this recipe is awesome, filling and comforting. try this.> > stay strong and think about why you are making this choice. That is what will stop your cravings. > > www.vegweb.com is the most incredible vegan site. I love it. try some of the recipes. This is where i got started.> > didn't mean to be mean, just wanted to be realistic. Good luck on your journey > > > > @gro ups.com, bantrymoon <bantrymoon@ > wrote:> > >> > > >>>> It's like a craving that we can't quite place so we just keep > > > eating hoping that just being "full" will help. Do any of you have any > > >

insight as to how long this will last? How about any tips to satisfy the > > > cravings? <<<<> > > > > > I went through that as well. I used to eat cheese when I felt a bit > > > hungry, and when I went vegan I would feel undefined cravings. I don't > > > anymore, and I don't recall when it stopped, so I assume it's a > > > transitional feeling.> > > > > > I did find some quick bites to help with afternoon hunger. I love veggie > > > cold cuts and hot dogs, I'd grab a few slices or eat one hot dog. It > > > would fill me up pretty well until dinner. I also found that eating a > > > piece of fruit at the end of the school day (I'm a teacher) gives me a > > > good boost.> > > > > > Cheers,> > > > > > -- > > > Trish

Carr> > > http://home. comcast.net/ ~bantrymoon/> > >> >>

Guest guest

Hi Jo,

I'm trying to cut down on carbs because that's where I get my weight. I do eat

whole grains, but still it doesn't matter how much I exercise I still get

" puffy " in my hands and feet when I eat bread. But you're right, it does fill

you up and that's why I grab it. But I guess I'm grabbing too much, LOL. It's

just the way my body is, it holds onto them FOREVER!!!! This growing old sucks,

LOL.

Jackie

, " heartwerk " <jo.heartwork wrote:

>

> Hi Jackie

>

> Welcome to the group.

>

> Why are you trying to cut down on carbohydrates? Complex carbohydrates are

good for you and keep you feeling full.

>

> Jo

>

> , " bcoffthegrid " <jttranscripts@> wrote:

> >

> > Hi everyone, I'm new. I'm a vegetarian wanting to become a vegan. But this

question jumped right out at me because I've been trying to slowing eat less

carbs and sugar but find the cravings worse. Cyn, you mentioned you had the same

thing but how did you cure it?

> >

> > Jackie

> >

> > , " cyn " <cyn84074@> wrote:

> > >

> > > Wait!! I know this!! I know exactly what it is! When I had had enough of a

high sugar, high carbohydrate, high caffeine diet, I made the diet lifestyle

change to healthy food and the CRAVINGS ALMOST KILLED ME. YES! I know it's

TERRIBLE to get off sugar and/or carbohydrates. I was even dreaming at night

about sugary food! Just like coming off heroin. I considered hiding at home

until the cravings passed. I'm still trying to re-acquire the little sanity I

lost during that period....

> > > Cyn

> > > Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T

> > >

> > >

> > > Blue Rose <bluerose156@>

> > > Fri, 5 Feb 2010 09:25:13

> > >

> > > Re: Re: Please help with cravings

> > >

> > > If I ate that much, I'd be stuffed. Seriously.

> > >

> > > I'm guessing it's as psychological thing, and you're missing what you

> > > consider to be " comfort food " based upon what you used to eat, but cut

out.

> > > Find one or two things you miss and see if you can eat their vegan

> > > equivalents.

> > >

> > > On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Katie <greenrootsmama@> wrote:

> > >

> > > > Jo

> > > >

> > > > Hmmm, well, a typical day lately would be something like this:

> > > >

> > > > breakfast: oatmeal with maple syrup and cinnamon

> > > > morning snack: popcorn with sea salt and nutritional yeast

> > > > lunch: pita stuffed with lettuce, carrots, cucumber, tomato, onion,

alfalfa

> > > > sprouts, avocado, sunflower seeds, spicy mustard and almond milk mayo

> > > > afternoon snack: apple with peanut butter

> > > > dinner: vegan chili

> > > > evening snack: tostada with vegetarian refried beans, guacamole,

lettuce,

> > > > onions, tomato and salsa

> > > >

> > > > I quit smoking about 5 years ago and had cravings for a long time and

still

> > > > do on occasion. So maybe this is like that. I have been accustomed to

> > > > consuming all of this unhealthy junk and now I have to " relearn " how to

> > > > function on good, nutritious food. So it may be that it's a habit that

I'm

> > > > trying to break and thus the cravings are a result of the synapses

firing

> > > > off from the old neuron path.

> > > >

> > > > Katie

> > > >

> > > > , " heartwerk " <jo.heartwork@> wrote:

> > > > >

> > > > > Hi Katie

> > > > >

> > > > > I've never heard of any of my friends/relatives feeling like that.

Are

> > > > you eating enough of the filling foods, i.e. beans, lentils, nuts, rice,

> > > > tofu. What type of meals are you eating now?

> > > > >

> > > > > Jo

> > > > >

> > > > > , " Katie " <greenrootsmama@> wrote:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > My family and I have been doing the vegan thing for a few weeks now

and

> > > > although the first week was awesome, we are finding ourselves hungry all

the

> > > > time now. It's like a craving that we can't quite place so we just keep

> > > > eating hoping that just being " full " will help. Do any of you have any

> > > > insight as to how long this will last? How about any tips to satisfy the

> > > > cravings?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Katie

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > ---

> > > >

> > > > To send an email to -@!

> > > > Groups Links

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > > --

> > > AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156

> > > http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com

> > > http://timeladydesigns.etsy.com

> > > ~

> > > Boston_Gothic

> > > Boston_Mystic

> > > Boston-Pagans

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Many foods, especially processed foods, can trigger addiction and addicted behavior. And, there are many different ways of being addicted anyways.

cyn84074 Feb 8, 2010 1:05 PM Re: Re: Please help with cravings

Hi-

Oh, dear. I'm about to ask anyone on the list who has never suffered from this, who "keeps themselves in shape", who never had problems with eating the wrong types of foods, and who doubts that sugars and caffeine and white flour are not as addicting as crack, for example, to go to the bathroom or something while I say this. I love all of you but in this, FOR MYSELF, I am an expert. People who tell me that it's not a big deal, that I should "just" eat right and exercise, well, don't bother.

When I decided that being overweight and eating the wrong things was going to stop, I transferred to a VERY HEALTHY diet and then...the cravings began. I couldn't go to the mall, because the food court had smells that would send me drooling, trembling, shaking, and craving to the car. I couldn't go to the movies because, well, popcorn. I couldn't go to a restaurant, because, well... you get the idea.

I am so sorry, but the only way through this was THROUGH THIS. I eventually "went to the mattresses" (as my Italian friends explained was a Mafia thing), stayed home, hunkered down, and waited, sweated, and toughed it out. Work, home, work, home, etc. My nutritionist told me that if I could make it through 2 weeks, the cravings would die down IF I DID NOT PUT ANY OF THESE FOODS IN MY MOUTH. Otherwise, the cravings would continue, and if I went off these foods, and then back on them at a later date, the cravings would be WORSE. Just like drug addiction.

Then, after 2 weeks (FOR ME), the cravings died down. They never go completely away.

It gets easier. But I also want to say that support from people who understand what this is like, who are not judgmental, and who will accept a phone call from a person in the middle of the night are critical.

Wanna know the worst part? For ME? I have been fighting various types of cancer for 23 years. Well, the cancer, of course, just came back. (It's genetic, whole family.) What did I do first? Of course...sugary foods, high carboydrate sugary foods, cram everything down my throat that I could lay hands on.

Now, I have to do the mattress thing again.

If I could last it out, anyone can. Do what works for you.

Cyn

In a message dated 2/7/2010 11:59:03 P.M. Mountain Standard Time, jttranscripts (AT) xplornet (DOT) ca writes:

Hi everyone, I'm new. I'm a vegetarian wanting to become a vegan. But this question jumped right out at me because I've been trying to slowing eat less carbs and sugar but find the cravings worse. Cyn, you mentioned you had the same thing but how did you cure it?Jackie , "cyn" <cyn84074 wrote:>> Wait!! I know this!! I know exactly what it is! When I had had enough of a high sugar, high carbohydrate, high caffeine diet, I made the diet lifestyle change to healthy food and the CRAVINGS ALMOST KILLED ME. YES! I know it's TERRIBLE to get off sugar and/or carbohydrates. I was even dreaming at night about sugary food! Just like coming off heroin. I considered hiding at home until the cravings passed. I'm still trying to re-acquire the little sanity I lost during that period....> Cyn> Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T> > > Blue Rose <bluerose156> Fri, 5 Feb 2010 09:25:13 > > Re: Re: Please help with cravings> > If I ate that much, I'd be stuffed. Seriously.> > I'm guessing it's as psychological thing, and you're missing what you> consider to be "comfort food" based upon what you used to eat, but cut out.> Find one or two things you miss and see if you can eat their vegan> equivalents.> > On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Katie <greenrootsmama wrote:> > > Jo> >> > Hmmm, well, a typical day lately would be something like this:> >> > breakfast: oatmeal with maple syrup and cinnamon> > morning snack: popcorn with sea salt and nutritional yeast> > lunch: pita stuffed with lettuce, carrots, cucumber, tomato, onion, alfalfa> > sprouts, avocado, sunflower seeds, spicy mustard and almond milk mayo> > afternoon snack: apple with peanut butter> > dinner: vegan chili> > evening snack: tostada with vegetarian refried beans, guacamole, lettuce,> > onions, tomato and salsa> >> > I quit smoking about 5 years ago and had cravings for a long time and still> > do on occasion. So maybe this is like that. I have been accustomed to> > consuming all of this unhealthy junk and now I have to "relearn" how to> > function on good, nutritious food. So it may be that it's a habit that I'm> > trying to break and thus the cravings are a result of the synapses firing> > off from the old neuron path.> >> > Katie> >> > , "heartwerk" <jo.heartwork@> wrote:> > >> > > Hi Katie> > >> > > I've never heard of any of my friends/relatives feeling like that. Are> > you eating enough of the filling foods, i.e. beans, lentils, nuts, rice,> > tofu. What type of meals are you eating now?> > >> > > Jo> > >> > > , "Katie" <greenrootsmama@> wrote:> > > >> > > > My family and I have been doing the vegan thing for a few weeks now and> > although the first week was awesome, we are finding ourselves hungry all the> > time now. It's like a craving that we can't quite place so we just keep> > eating hoping that just being "full" will help. Do any of you have any> > insight as to how long this will last? How about any tips to satisfy the> > cravings?> > > >> > > > Katie> > > >> > >> >> >> >> >> > ---> >> > To send an email to -!> > Groups Links> >> >> >> >> > > -- > AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156> http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com> http://timeladydesigns.etsy.com> ~> Boston_Gothic> Boston_Mystic> Boston-Pagans>

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me!

Guest guest

Hola carinos,What Cyn said is so true. All these things are super addicting and there are healthier substitutes, but sometimes tofu yogurt with blueberries just can't beat the joygasmic deliciousity of a pint of cookies and cream ice cream (there's now a soy equivalent of this I hear, though I'm not going to pretend it's good for you just because it happens to be vegan friendly). You just have to ride out the cravings and find something else that is going to satisfy your craving. You can do it!Best of luck,SarahP.S. Cyn I love the Godfather quote "go to the mattresses" classic boy movie not sure why all men have seen this movie and love it but this seems to be the case...how weird"cyn84074" <cyn84074 Sent: Mon, February 8, 2010 12:05:25 PMRe: Re: Please help with cravings

Hi-

Oh, dear. I'm about to ask anyone on the list who has never suffered from this, who "keeps themselves in shape", who never had problems with eating the wrong types of foods, and who doubts that sugars and caffeine and white flour are not as addicting as crack, for example, to go to the bathroom or something while I say this. I love all of you but in this, FOR MYSELF, I am an expert. People who tell me that it's not a big deal, that I should "just" eat right and exercise, well, don't bother.

When I decided that being overweight and eating the wrong things was going to stop, I transferred to a VERY HEALTHY diet and then...the cravings began. I couldn't go to the mall, because the food court had smells that would send me drooling, trembling, shaking, and craving to the car. I couldn't go to the movies because, well, popcorn. I couldn't go to a restaurant, because, well.... you get the idea.

I am so sorry, but the only way through this was THROUGH THIS. I eventually "went to the mattresses" (as my Italian friends explained was a Mafia thing), stayed home, hunkered down, and waited, sweated, and toughed it out. Work, home, work, home, etc. My nutritionist told me that if I could make it through 2 weeks, the cravings would die down IF I DID NOT PUT ANY OF THESE FOODS IN MY MOUTH. Otherwise, the cravings would continue, and if I went off these foods, and then back on them at a later date, the cravings would be WORSE. Just like drug addiction.

Then, after 2 weeks (FOR ME), the cravings died down. They never go completely away.

It gets easier. But I also want to say that support from people who understand what this is like, who are not judgmental, and who will accept a phone call from a person in the middle of the night are critical.

Wanna know the worst part? For ME? I have been fighting various types of cancer for 23 years. Well, the cancer, of course, just came back. (It's genetic, whole family.) What did I do first? Of course...sugary foods, high carboydrate sugary foods, cram everything down my throat that I could lay hands on.

Now, I have to do the mattress thing again.

If I could last it out, anyone can. Do what works for you.

Cyn

In a message dated 2/7/2010 11:59:03 P.M. Mountain Standard Time, jttranscripts@ xplornet. ca writes:

Hi everyone, I'm new. I'm a vegetarian wanting to become a vegan. But this question jumped right out at me because I've been trying to slowing eat less carbs and sugar but find the cravings worse. Cyn, you mentioned you had the same thing but how did you cure it?Jackie@gro ups.com, "cyn" <cyn84074@.. .> wrote:>> Wait!! I know this!! I know exactly what it is! When I had had enough of a high sugar, high carbohydrate, high caffeine diet, I made the diet lifestyle change to healthy food and the CRAVINGS ALMOST KILLED ME. YES! I know it's TERRIBLE to get off sugar and/or carbohydrates. I was even dreaming at night about sugary food! Just like coming off heroin. I considered hiding at home until the cravings passed. I'm still trying to re-acquire the little sanity I lost during that period....> Cyn> Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T> > > Blue Rose <bluerose156@ ...>> Fri, 5 Feb 2010 09:25:13 > <@gro ups.com>> Re: Re: Please help with cravings> > If I ate that much, I'd be stuffed. Seriously.> > I'm guessing it's as psychological thing, and you're missing what you> consider to be "comfort food" based upon what you used to eat, but cut out.> Find one or two things you miss and see if you can eat their vegan> equivalents.> > On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Katie <greenrootsmama@ ....> wrote:> > > Jo> >> > Hmmm, well, a typical day lately would be something like this:> >> > breakfast: oatmeal with maple syrup and cinnamon> > morning snack: popcorn with sea salt and nutritional yeast> > lunch: pita stuffed with lettuce, carrots, cucumber, tomato, onion, alfalfa> > sprouts, avocado, sunflower seeds, spicy mustard and almond milk mayo> > afternoon snack: apple with peanut butter> > dinner: vegan chili> > evening snack: tostada with vegetarian refried beans, guacamole, lettuce,> > onions, tomato and salsa> >> > I quit smoking about 5 years ago and had cravings for a long time and still> > do on occasion. So maybe this is like that. I have been accustomed to> > consuming all of this unhealthy junk and now I have to "relearn" how to> > function on good, nutritious food. So it may be that it's a habit that I'm> > trying to break and thus the cravings are a result of the synapses firing> > off from the old neuron path.> >> > Katie> >> > @gro ups.com, "heartwerk" <jo.heartwork@ > wrote:> > >> > > Hi Katie> > >> > > I've never heard of any of my friends/relatives feeling like that. Are> > you eating enough of the filling foods, i.e. beans, lentils, nuts, rice,> > tofu. What type of meals are you eating now?> > >> > > Jo> > >> > > @gro ups.com, "Katie" <greenrootsmama@ > wrote:> > > >> > > > My family and I have been doing the vegan thing for a few weeks now and> > although the first week was awesome, we are finding ourselves hungry all the> > time now. It's like a craving that we can't quite place so we just keep> > eating hoping that just being "full" will help. Do any of you have any> > insight as to how long this will last? How about any tips to satisfy the> > cravings?> > > >> > > > Katie> > > >> > >> >> >> >> >> > ------------ --------- --------- ------> >> > To send an email to -unsubscr ibe!> > Groups Links> >> >> >> >> > > -- > AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156> http://x-bluerose- x.livejournal. com> http://timeladydesi gns.etsy. com> ~> http://groups. / group/Boston_ Gothic> http://groups. / group/Boston_ Mystic> http://groups. / group/Boston- Pagans>

Guest guest

Maybe wheat is the problem.Patricia--- On Mon, 2/8/10, bcoffthegrid <jttranscripts wrote:bcoffthegrid <jttranscripts Re: Please help with cravings Date: Monday, February 8, 2010, 10:25 AMHi Jo,I'm trying to cut down on carbs because that's where I get my weight. I do eat whole grains, but still it doesn't matter how much I exercise I still get "puffy" in my hands and feet when I eat bread. But you're right, it does fill you up and that's why I grab it. But I guess I'm grabbing too much, LOL. It's just the way my body is, it

holds onto them FOREVER!!!! This growing old sucks, LOL.Jackie , "heartwerk" <jo.heartwork wrote:>> Hi Jackie> > Welcome to the group.> > Why are you trying to cut down on carbohydrates? Complex carbohydrates are good for you and keep you feeling full.> > Jo> > , "bcoffthegrid" <jttranscripts@> wrote:> >> > Hi everyone, I'm new. I'm a vegetarian wanting to become a vegan. But this question jumped right out at me because I've been trying to slowing eat less carbs and sugar but find the cravings worse. Cyn, you mentioned you had the same thing but how did you cure

it?> > > > Jackie> > > > , "cyn" <cyn84074@> wrote:> > >> > > Wait!! I know this!! I know exactly what it is! When I had had enough of a high sugar, high carbohydrate, high caffeine diet, I made the diet lifestyle change to healthy food and the CRAVINGS ALMOST KILLED ME. YES! I know it's TERRIBLE to get off sugar and/or carbohydrates. I was even dreaming at night about sugary food! Just like coming off heroin. I considered hiding at home until the cravings passed. I'm still trying to re-acquire the little sanity I lost during that period....> > > Cyn> > > Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T> > > > > > > > > Blue Rose <bluerose156@>> > > Date:

Fri, 5 Feb 2010 09:25:13 > > > > > > Re: Re: Please help with cravings> > > > > > If I ate that much, I'd be stuffed. Seriously.> > > > > > I'm guessing it's as psychological thing, and you're missing what you> > > consider to be "comfort food" based upon what you used to eat, but cut out.> > > Find one or two things you miss and see if you can eat their vegan> > > equivalents.> > > > > > On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Katie <greenrootsmama@> wrote:> > > > > > > Jo> > > >> > > > Hmmm, well, a typical day lately would be something like this:> > > >> > > >

breakfast: oatmeal with maple syrup and cinnamon> > > > morning snack: popcorn with sea salt and nutritional yeast> > > > lunch: pita stuffed with lettuce, carrots, cucumber, tomato, onion, alfalfa> > > > sprouts, avocado, sunflower seeds, spicy mustard and almond milk mayo> > > > afternoon snack: apple with peanut butter> > > > dinner: vegan chili> > > > evening snack: tostada with vegetarian refried beans, guacamole, lettuce,> > > > onions, tomato and salsa> > > >> > > > I quit smoking about 5 years ago and had cravings for a long time and still> > > > do on occasion. So maybe this is like that. I have been accustomed to> > > > consuming all of this unhealthy junk and now I have to "relearn" how to> > > > function on good, nutritious food. So it may be that it's

a habit that I'm> > > > trying to break and thus the cravings are a result of the synapses firing> > > > off from the old neuron path.> > > >> > > > Katie> > > >> > > > , "heartwerk" <jo.heartwork@> wrote:> > > > >> > > > > Hi Katie> > > > >> > > > > I've never heard of any of my friends/relatives feeling like that. Are> > > > you eating enough of the filling foods, i.e. beans, lentils, nuts, rice,> > > > tofu. What type of meals are you eating now?> > > > >> > > > > Jo> > > > >> > > > > , "Katie" <greenrootsmama@> wrote:> > > > > >> > > > > > My family and I have been doing the vegan thing for a few weeks now and> > > > although the first week was awesome, we are finding ourselves hungry all the> > > > time now. It's like a craving that we can't quite place so we just keep> > > > eating hoping that just being "full" will help. Do any of you have any> > > > insight as to how long this will last? How about any tips to satisfy the> > > > cravings?> > > > > >> > > > > > Katie> > > > > >> > > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >

---> > > >> > > > To send an email to -@!> > > > Groups Links> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > > > > > > > -- > > > AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156> > > http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com> > > http://timeladydesigns.etsy.com> > > ~> > > Boston_Gothic> > > Boston_Mystic> > > Boston-Pagans> > >> >>---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change

settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>

Guest guest

Thank you! Thank you, thank you, thank you and thank you again. We're starting our 4th week of veganism and we're finally beginning to notice a decrease in the cravings. We recently watched Food Inc. which was very helpful in maintaining this change. We've also realized that it's not just what goes into our mouths that needs a change, it's "why". Last night we were talking about this and figured out that we both eat out of boredom and habit. Since I'm nursing a baby I need more calories than I would otherwise but I'm still taking in significantly more than I really need. When I quit smoking I would pound a full glass of water every time I had a craving for a smoke so we decided to try that with this too. We'll see how it goes. It's very reassuring to know that we're not alone and that there's nothing "wrong" with us per se so thank you for sharing this.

Katie

, cyn84074 wrote:>> Hi-> Oh, dear. I'm about to ask anyone on the list who has never suffered from > this, who "keeps themselves in shape", who never had problems with eating > the wrong types of foods, and who doubts that sugars and caffeine and white > flour are not as addicting as crack, for example, to go to the bathroom or > something while I say this. I love all of you but in this, FOR MYSELF, I > am an expert. People who tell me that it's not a big deal, that I should > "just" eat right and exercise, well, don't bother.> > When I decided that being overweight and eating the wrong things was going > to stop, I transferred to a VERY HEALTHY diet and then...the cravings > began. I couldn't go to the mall, because the food court had smells that would > send me drooling, trembling, shaking, and craving to the car. I couldn't > go to the movies because, well, popcorn. I couldn't go to a restaurant, > because, well... you get the idea.> > I am so sorry, but the only way through this was THROUGH THIS. I eventually > "went to the mattresses" (as my Italian friends explained was a Mafia > thing), stayed home, hunkered down, and waited, sweated, and toughed it out. > Work, home, work, home, etc. My nutritionist told me that if I could make > it through 2 weeks, the cravings would die down IF I DID NOT PUT ANY OF > THESE FOODS IN MY MOUTH. Otherwise, the cravings would continue, and if I went > off these foods, and then back on them at a later date, the cravings would > be WORSE. Just like drug addiction.> Then, after 2 weeks (FOR ME), the cravings died down. They never go > completely away.> > It gets easier. But I also want to say that support from people who > understand what this is like, who are not judgmental, and who will accept a > phone call from a person in the middle of the night are critical.> > Wanna know the worst part? For ME? I have been fighting various types of > cancer for 23 years. Well, the cancer, of course, just came back. (It's > genetic, whole family.) What did I do first? Of course...sugary foods, high > carboydrate sugary foods, cram everything down my throat that I could lay > hands on.> > Now, I have to do the mattress thing again.> > If I could last it out, anyone can. Do what works for you.> > Cyn> > > In a message dated 2/7/2010 11:59:03 P.M. Mountain Standard Time, > jttranscripts writes:> > > > > Hi everyone, I'm new. I'm a vegetarian wanting to become a vegan. But this > question jumped right out at me because I've been trying to slowing eat > less carbs and sugar but find the cravings worse. Cyn, you mentioned you had > the same thing but how did you cure it?> > Jackie> > _@grovegan_c_ ( ) , > "cyn" cyn84074 wrote:> >> > Wait!! I know this!! I know exactly what it is! When I had had enough of > a high sugar, high carbohydrate, high caffeine diet, I made the diet > lifestyle change to healthy food and the CRAVINGS ALMOST KILLED ME. YES! I know > it's TERRIBLE to get off sugar and/or carbohydrates. I was even dreaming at > night about sugary food! Just like coming off heroin. I considered hiding > at home until the cravings passed. I'm still trying to re-acquire the > little sanity I lost during that period....> > Cyn> > Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T> > > > > > Blue Rose bluerose156@blu> > Fri, 5 Feb 2010 09:25:13 > > <_@grovegan_c_ ( ) >> > Re: Re: Please help with cravings> > > > If I ate that much, I'd be stuffed. Seriously.> > > > I'm guessing it's as psychological thing, and you're missing what you> > consider to be "comfort food" based upon what you used to eat, but cut > out.> > Find one or two things you miss and see if you can eat their vegan> > equivalents.> > > > On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Katie greenrootsmama@gre wrote:> > > > > Jo> > >> > > Hmmm, well, a typical day lately would be something like this:> > >> > > breakfast: oatmeal with maple syrup and cinnamon> > > morning snack: popcorn with sea salt and nutritional yeast> > > lunch: pita stuffed with lettuce, carrots, cucumber, tomato, onion, > alfalfa> > > sprouts, avocado, sunflower seeds, spicy mustard and almond milk mayo> > > afternoon snack: apple with peanut butter> > > dinner: vegan chili> > > evening snack: tostada with vegetarian refried beans, guacamole, > lettuce,> > > onions, tomato and salsa> > >> > > I quit smoking about 5 years ago and had cravings for a long time and > still> > > do on occasion. So maybe this is like that. I have been accustomed to> > > consuming all of this unhealthy junk and now I have to "relearn" how to> > > function on good, nutritious food. So it may be that it's a habit that > I'm> > > trying to break and thus the cravings are a result of the synapses > firing> > > off from the old neuron path.> > >> > > Katie> > >> > > _@grovegan_c_ ( ) > , "heartwerk" <jo.heartwork@> wrote:> > > >> > > > Hi Katie> > > >> > > > I've never heard of any of my friends/relatives feeling like that. > Are> > > you eating enough of the filling foods, i.e. beans, lentils, nuts, > rice,> > > tofu. What type of meals are you eating now?> > > >> > > > Jo> > > >> > > > _@grovegan_c_ > ( ) , "Katie" <greenrootsmama@> wrote:> > > > >> > > > > My family and I have been doing the vegan thing for a few weeks > now and> > > although the first week was awesome, we are finding ourselves hungry > all the> > > time now. It's like a craving that we can't quite place so we just keep> > > eating hoping that just being "full" will help. Do any of you have any> > > insight as to how long this will last? How about any tips to satisfy > the> > > cravings?> > > > >> > > > > Katie> > > > >> > > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > ------------ -------- -------- -----> > >> > > To send an email to -unsubscrd an ema> > > Groups Links> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > > > > -- > > AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156> > _http://x-bluerose-http://x-bluerhtt_ > (http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com/) > > _http://timeladydesihttp://tihtt_ (http://timeladydesigns.etsy.com/) > > ~> > _http://groups.http://grohttp://groupshttp:/_ > (Boston_Gothic) > > _http://groups.http://grohttp://groupshttp:/_ > (Boston_Mystic) > > _http://groups.http://grohttp://groupshttp:/_ > (Boston-Pagans) > >>

Guest guest

Bread often doesn't agree with people, I'm not good with normal wheat. There

are other carbohydrates though - potatoes, carrots and other root vegetables,

rice etc. I've found that they don't have any adverse effects.

It might be worth you reading the Patrick Holford GL Diet book. It has

recommendations on eating small amounts of protein with pieces of fruit etc. -

balancing carbohydrates with protein so that the glucose burns properly within

the body, without weight gain.

I know what you mean about getting older - it is definitely more difficult to

lose weight than when younger :-)

Jo

, " bcoffthegrid " <jttranscripts wrote:

>

>

> Hi Jo,

>

> I'm trying to cut down on carbs because that's where I get my weight. I do eat

whole grains, but still it doesn't matter how much I exercise I still get

" puffy " in my hands and feet when I eat bread. But you're right, it does fill

you up and that's why I grab it. But I guess I'm grabbing too much, LOL. It's

just the way my body is, it holds onto them FOREVER!!!! This growing old sucks,

LOL.

>

> Jackie

>

> , " heartwerk " <jo.heartwork@> wrote:

> >

> > Hi Jackie

> >

> > Welcome to the group.

> >

> > Why are you trying to cut down on carbohydrates? Complex carbohydrates are

good for you and keep you feeling full.

> >

> > Jo

> >

> > , " bcoffthegrid " <jttranscripts@> wrote:

> > >

> > > Hi everyone, I'm new. I'm a vegetarian wanting to become a vegan. But this

question jumped right out at me because I've been trying to slowing eat less

carbs and sugar but find the cravings worse. Cyn, you mentioned you had the same

thing but how did you cure it?

> > >

> > > Jackie

> > >

> > > , " cyn " <cyn84074@> wrote:

> > > >

> > > > Wait!! I know this!! I know exactly what it is! When I had had enough of

a high sugar, high carbohydrate, high caffeine diet, I made the diet lifestyle

change to healthy food and the CRAVINGS ALMOST KILLED ME. YES! I know it's

TERRIBLE to get off sugar and/or carbohydrates. I was even dreaming at night

about sugary food! Just like coming off heroin. I considered hiding at home

until the cravings passed. I'm still trying to re-acquire the little sanity I

lost during that period....

> > > > Cyn

> > > > Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Blue Rose <bluerose156@>

> > > > Fri, 5 Feb 2010 09:25:13

> > > >

> > > > Re: Re: Please help with cravings

> > > >

> > > > If I ate that much, I'd be stuffed. Seriously.

> > > >

> > > > I'm guessing it's as psychological thing, and you're missing what you

> > > > consider to be " comfort food " based upon what you used to eat, but cut

out.

> > > > Find one or two things you miss and see if you can eat their vegan

> > > > equivalents.

> > > >

> > > > On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Katie <greenrootsmama@> wrote:

> > > >

> > > > > Jo

> > > > >

> > > > > Hmmm, well, a typical day lately would be something like this:

> > > > >

> > > > > breakfast: oatmeal with maple syrup and cinnamon

> > > > > morning snack: popcorn with sea salt and nutritional yeast

> > > > > lunch: pita stuffed with lettuce, carrots, cucumber, tomato, onion,

alfalfa

> > > > > sprouts, avocado, sunflower seeds, spicy mustard and almond milk mayo

> > > > > afternoon snack: apple with peanut butter

> > > > > dinner: vegan chili

> > > > > evening snack: tostada with vegetarian refried beans, guacamole,

lettuce,

> > > > > onions, tomato and salsa

> > > > >

> > > > > I quit smoking about 5 years ago and had cravings for a long time and

still

> > > > > do on occasion. So maybe this is like that. I have been accustomed to

> > > > > consuming all of this unhealthy junk and now I have to " relearn " how

to

> > > > > function on good, nutritious food. So it may be that it's a habit that

I'm

> > > > > trying to break and thus the cravings are a result of the synapses

firing

> > > > > off from the old neuron path.

> > > > >

> > > > > Katie

> > > > >

> > > > > , " heartwerk " <jo.heartwork@> wrote:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Hi Katie

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I've never heard of any of my friends/relatives feeling like that.

Are

> > > > > you eating enough of the filling foods, i.e. beans, lentils, nuts,

rice,

> > > > > tofu. What type of meals are you eating now?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Jo

> > > > > >

> > > > > > , " Katie " <greenrootsmama@> wrote:

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > My family and I have been doing the vegan thing for a few weeks

now and

> > > > > although the first week was awesome, we are finding ourselves hungry

all the

> > > > > time now. It's like a craving that we can't quite place so we just

keep

> > > > > eating hoping that just being " full " will help. Do any of you have any

> > > > > insight as to how long this will last? How about any tips to satisfy

the

> > > > > cravings?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Katie

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > ---

> > > > >

> > > > > To send an email to -@!

> > > > > Groups Links

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > --

> > > > AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156

> > > > http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com

> > > > http://timeladydesigns.etsy.com

> > > > ~

> > > > Boston_Gothic

> > > > Boston_Mystic

> > > > Boston-Pagans

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

As a p.s. to this - I gave up eating meat because I wanted a healthier diet, but

after about a year the thought of taking another life for food was very

upsetting, and now that is more important to me than the health side.

Jo

, EC <emgarri wrote:

>

> Katie,

> Good health is a nice side effect of a vegan diet, but deciding NOT to eat

animals because you don't want to be a part of killing (murder) is the motivator

that makes the non-violent diet work.  Take away flesh, dairy (liquid flesh)

and eggs and you are left with the best real foods on earth....the original

foods for humans.  There are so many countless delicious choices to choose

from.  Eating animals is a habit that is usually accompanied with very limited

choices from the fruit and vegetable array.  As soon as you remove your

dependency (habit) on animals, you will creatively find yourself gravitating

more and more towards " live " foods that you had never eaten before.  You say

that you did not stop eating animals because you felt any guilt about it, then

you say that you are revolted at the way that animals are treated.  Somewhere

in there you came to stop eating meat because you don't want to be a part of

forced-imprisonment, torture,

> rape and murder.  When you can acknowledge this serious ethical

issue MORE instead of your claim that it is purely about health, then you will

see how being a vegan is a diet that you will figure out.......because you want

to make it work. Good luck!

>  

> (P.S. Soy is not JUST tofu: it is a super healthy food, available in many

forms.  Anyone who brings down this wonder bean is doing so because their

animal eating habit (addiction) has got the best of them.  Beans of the

world:  run and hide: you could be next!)

>

> Veganly for ALL animals,

> Lyn

>  

>

> --- On Sun, 2/7/10, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

>

>

> heartwerk <jo.heartwork

> Re:Please help with cravings

>

> Sunday, February 7, 2010, 11:55 PM

>

>

>  

>

>

>

> Hi

>

> It could be that you feel cravings not because of any lack of any food item

but simply because you consider your new eating style as a diet, to lose weight

etc. Your mind probably is feeling deprived because of this. I would guess that

you cannot actually be hungry from what you said you eat every day, which is

probably about double what I eat.

>

> Jo

>

> @gro ups.com, " Katie " <greenrootsmama@ ...> wrote:

> >

> > I did not choose veganism because I felt any particular guilt about

consuming animal flesh. I am, however, positively revolted by the treatment of

the animals in the mass-producing meat industry. Rather, I chose veganism to

improve my health and the health of my family (we are a little overweight and my

husband had high blood pressure). I am breastfeeding so I try to limit the more

" gassy " foods. Since there is such a controversy about whether or not soy is

healthy, we limit that as well from a " better safe than sorry " standpoint.

Besides, I really don't like tofu. I'm thinking that the reason we're hungry all

the time is because animal protein takes longer to digest and, therefore, keeps

us feeling satisfied for a longer period of time. Vegetables, however, digest

more easily and rapidly, leaving a gastric void resulting in hunger. So it seems

that we will have to deal with this incessant hunger for a while until our

bodies acclimate to the change.

> >

> > The disgust you feel at the thought of ingesting animal protein was a

wonderful motivator for you to change your eating habits; for me it's my health.

The thought of leaving my children orphaned or making my husband a widower is a

very powerful motivator for me. Less dramatic would be that I want a better

quality of life, not only for me but also for my family, devoid of dependency

upon medical facilities and prescriptions. So whatever the reason an individual

arrives at veganism, the important point is that we are making an effort to

clean up our little green and blue world. Veganism is inarguably a better

lifestyle choice from both an ecological and health perspective. I think this

group is wonderful for its diversity and deliberate thought. I'm delighted to be

a part of it. :)

> >

> > Katie

> >

> > @gro ups.com, " sprightcat " <sprightcat@ > wrote:

> > >

> > > I guess i am confused, as to you having cravings and being hungry. What is

teh reason you have gone vegan? I have gone vegan because I do not want to eat

animals or be part of the ridiculous mistreatment that most people are blind

too. I guess at first i got cravings too, and the reason of my going vegan

washed those cravings away. Your post, to me, and this is strictly just my

opinion and i mean no disrespect, sounds as though you have gone on the south

beach diet to lose a few lbs and you need a cookie. What you are starting out on

is a life changing,again in my opinion-for the better, decision you are making.

Do you want to help your health, help animals, eat healthier..whatever your

reason is, do you want to be vegan is the question. It is not a matter of

willpower, it is a matter almost of mental strength. Do you want to hold fast to

what choice you are attempting to make...or do you want a slice of cheese?? The

decision for people who want to

> do this is clear. It is not easy, but it is now a mental puzzle for you. You

will now need to find substitutions for the things you ate everyday. or you open

your mind to new things that excite your senses. You sound to me as though you

are almost dreading the change, look to it as a challenge. There are so many

" cheese " substitutes out there, have you tried any? They satisfy just fine. I

was a cheese-o-holic when i first started. but i rarely even think about it now,

because when i missed it, i simply thought about where it came from and it made

me sick and i didn't want to eat it.

> > > as far being full, it is honestly no different than starting any

diet...look around, see what parameters you have and start trying things. broc

and cauliflower are " fill you up foods " - one of my favorite recipes is broccoli

salad. fills you up, is yummy awesome.

> > > take a head of broc,a head of cali and blanch in boiling water for 1

minute. take a cup of vegenase,1/4 of sweetener(sugar, ect) and 1 tblp(or more

to your liking)mix all together and make a dressing, dump and mix over the broc

and cali. throw in some chopped onion and also some mix of vegan bacos,soybeans,

sunflower seeds(you can getthe mccormic mix ins) this recipe is awesome, filling

and comforting. try this.

> > > stay strong and think about why you are making this choice. That is what

will stop your cravings.

> > > www.vegweb.com is the most incredible vegan site. I love it. try some of

the recipes. This is where i got started.

> > > didn't mean to be mean, just wanted to be realistic. Good luck on your

journey

> > >

> > > @gro ups.com, bantrymoon <bantrymoon@ > wrote:

> > > >

> > > > >>>> It's like a craving that we can't quite place so we just keep

> > > > cravings? <<<<

> > > >

> > > > I went through that as well. I used to eat cheese when I felt a bit

> > > > hungry, and when I went vegan I would feel undefined cravings. I don't

> > > > anymore, and I don't recall when it stopped, so I assume it's a

> > > > transitional feeling.

> > > >

> > > > I did find some quick bites to help with afternoon hunger. I love veggie

> > > > cold cuts and hot dogs, I'd grab a few slices or eat one hot dog. It

> > > > would fill me up pretty well until dinner. I also found that eating a

> > > > piece of fruit at the end of the school day (I'm a teacher) gives me a

> > > > good boost.

> > > >

> > > > Cheers,

> > > >

> > > > --

> > > > Trish Carr

> > > > http://home. comcast.net/ ~bantrymoon/

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Hi Katie

There is a book by a Dr Batmanghelish (I think) that talks about the body's need

for water. He says that often when you feel hungry you are misinterpreting the

body's signal that you need water.

Jo

, " Katie " <greenrootsmama wrote:

>

>

> Thank you! Thank you, thank you, thank you and thank you again. We're

> starting our 4th week of veganism and we're finally beginning to notice

> a decrease in the cravings. We recently watched Food Inc. which was very

> helpful in maintaining this change. We've also realized that it's not

> just what goes into our mouths that needs a change, it's " why " . Last

> night we were talking about this and figured out that we both eat out of

> boredom and habit. Since I'm nursing a baby I need more calories than I

> would otherwise but I'm still taking in significantly more than I really

> need. When I quit smoking I would pound a full glass of water every time

> I had a craving for a smoke so we decided to try that with this too.

> We'll see how it goes. It's very reassuring to know that we're not alone

> and that there's nothing " wrong " with us per se so thank you for sharing

> this.

>

> Katie

>

>

> , cyn84074@ wrote:

> >

> > Hi-

> > Oh, dear. I'm about to ask anyone on the list who has never suffered

> from

> > this, who " keeps themselves in shape " , who never had problems with

> eating

> > the wrong types of foods, and who doubts that sugars and caffeine and

> white

> > flour are not as addicting as crack, for example, to go to the

> bathroom or

> > something while I say this. I love all of you but in this, FOR MYSELF,

> I

> > am an expert. People who tell me that it's not a big deal, that I

> should

> > " just " eat right and exercise, well, don't bother.

> >

> > When I decided that being overweight and eating the wrong things was

> going

> > to stop, I transferred to a VERY HEALTHY diet and then...the cravings

> > began. I couldn't go to the mall, because the food court had smells

> that would

> > send me drooling, trembling, shaking, and craving to the car. I

> couldn't

> > go to the movies because, well, popcorn. I couldn't go to a

> restaurant,

> > because, well... you get the idea.

> >

> > I am so sorry, but the only way through this was THROUGH THIS. I

> eventually

> > " went to the mattresses " (as my Italian friends explained was a Mafia

> > thing), stayed home, hunkered down, and waited, sweated, and toughed

> it out.

> > Work, home, work, home, etc. My nutritionist told me that if I could

> make

> > it through 2 weeks, the cravings would die down IF I DID NOT PUT ANY

> OF

> > THESE FOODS IN MY MOUTH. Otherwise, the cravings would continue, and

> if I went

> > off these foods, and then back on them at a later date, the cravings

> would

> > be WORSE. Just like drug addiction.

> > Then, after 2 weeks (FOR ME), the cravings died down. They never go

> > completely away.

> >

> > It gets easier. But I also want to say that support from people who

> > understand what this is like, who are not judgmental, and who will

> accept a

> > phone call from a person in the middle of the night are critical.

> >

> > Wanna know the worst part? For ME? I have been fighting various types

> of

> > cancer for 23 years. Well, the cancer, of course, just came back.

> (It's

> > genetic, whole family.) What did I do first? Of course...sugary foods,

> high

> > carboydrate sugary foods, cram everything down my throat that I could

> lay

> > hands on.

> >

> > Now, I have to do the mattress thing again.

> >

> > If I could last it out, anyone can. Do what works for you.

> >

> > Cyn

> >

> >

> > In a message dated 2/7/2010 11:59:03 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,

> > jttranscripts@ writes:

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Hi everyone, I'm new. I'm a vegetarian wanting to become a vegan. But

> this

> > question jumped right out at me because I've been trying to slowing

> eat

> > less carbs and sugar but find the cravings worse. Cyn, you mentioned

> you had

> > the same thing but how did you cure it?

> >

> > Jackie

> >

> > _@grovegan_c_

> ( ) ,

> > " cyn " cyn84074@ wrote:

> > >

> > > Wait!! I know this!! I know exactly what it is! When I had had

> enough of

> > a high sugar, high carbohydrate, high caffeine diet, I made the diet

> > lifestyle change to healthy food and the CRAVINGS ALMOST KILLED ME.

> YES! I know

> > it's TERRIBLE to get off sugar and/or carbohydrates. I was even

> dreaming at

> > night about sugary food! Just like coming off heroin. I considered

> hiding

> > at home until the cravings passed. I'm still trying to re-acquire the

> > little sanity I lost during that period....

> > > Cyn

> > >

> > >

> > > Blue Rose bluerose156@blu

> > > <_@grovegan_c_

> ( ) >

> > >

> > >

> > > I'm guessing it's as psychological thing, and you're missing what

> you

> > > consider to be " comfort food " based upon what you used to eat, but

> cut

> > out.

> > > equivalents.

> > >

> > > On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Katie greenrootsmama@gre wrote:

> > >

> > > > Jo

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > lunch: pita stuffed with lettuce, carrots, cucumber, tomato,

> onion,

> > alfalfa

> > > > sprouts, avocado, sunflower seeds, spicy mustard and almond milk

> mayo

> > lettuce,

> > > >

> > > > I quit smoking about 5 years ago and had cravings for a long time

> and

> > still

> > > > do on occasion. So maybe this is like that. I have been accustomed

> to

> > > > consuming all of this unhealthy junk and now I have to " relearn "

> how to

> > > > function on good, nutritious food. So it may be that it's a habit

> that

> > I'm

> > firing

> > > >

> > > > Katie

> > > >

> > > > _@grovegan_c_

> ( )

> > , " heartwerk " <jo.heartwork@> wrote:

> > > > >

> > > > > Hi Katie

> > > > >

> > > > > I've never heard of any of my friends/relatives feeling like

> that.

> > Are

> > > > you eating enough of the filling foods, i.e. beans, lentils, nuts,

> > rice,

> > > > >

> > > > > Jo

> > > > >

> > > > > _@grovegan_c_

> > ( ) , " Katie " <greenrootsmama@> wrote:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > My family and I have been doing the vegan thing for a few

> weeks

> > now and

> > > > although the first week was awesome, we are finding ourselves

> hungry

> > all the

> > > > time now. It's like a craving that we can't quite place so we just

> keep

> > > > eating hoping that just being " full " will help. Do any of you have

> any

> > > > insight as to how long this will last? How about any tips to

> satisfy

> > the

> > > > cravings?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Katie

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > ------------ -------- -------- -----

> > > >

> > > > To send an email to -unsubscrd an ema

> > > > Groups Links

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > > --

> > > _http://x-bluerose-http://x-bluerhtt_

> > (http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com/)

> > > _http://timeladydesihttp://tihtt_ (http://timeladydesigns.etsy.com/)

> > > ~

> > > _http://groups.http://grohttp://groupshttp:/_

> > (Boston_Gothic)

> > (Boston_Mystic)

> > (Boston-Pagans)

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Sweetie, anytime. Let me say that this Vegan list has been like the Fountain of Knowledge for me. I am thankful for it. CynPS: and, there ain't NOTHING wrong with you. CynSent via BlackBerry by AT&T "Katie" <greenrootsmamaTue, 09 Feb 2010 15:27:11 -0000 Re: Please help with cravings Thank you! Thank you, thank you, thank you and thank you again. We're starting our 4th week of veganism and we're finally beginning to notice a decrease in the cravings. We recently watched Food Inc. which was very helpful in maintaining this change. We've also realized that it's not just what goes into our mouths that needs a change, it's "why". Last night we were talking about this and figured out that we both eat out of boredom and habit. Since I'm nursing a baby I need more calories than I would otherwise but I'm still taking in significantly more than I really need. When I quit smoking I would pound a full glass of water every time I had a craving for a smoke so we decided to try that with this too. We'll see how it goes. It's very reassuring to know that we're not alone and that there's nothing "wrong" with us per se so thank you for sharing this.Katie , cyn84074 wrote:>> Hi-> Oh, dear. I'm about to ask anyone on the list who has never suffered from > this, who "keeps themselves in shape", who never had problems with eating > the wrong types of foods, and who doubts that sugars and caffeine and white > flour are not as addicting as crack, for example, to go to the bathroom or > something while I say this. I love all of you but in this, FOR MYSELF, I > am an expert. People who tell me that it's not a big deal, that I should > "just" eat right and exercise, well, don't bother.> > When I decided that being overweight and eating the wrong things was going > to stop, I transferred to a VERY HEALTHY diet and then...the cravings > began. I couldn't go to the mall, because the food court had smells that would > send me drooling, trembling, shaking, and craving to the car. I couldn't > go to the movies because, well, popcorn. I couldn't go to a restaurant, > because, well... you get the idea.> > I am so sorry, but the only way through this was THROUGH THIS. I eventually > "went to the mattresses" (as my Italian friends explained was a Mafia > thing), stayed home, hunkered down, and waited, sweated, and toughed it out. > Work, home, work, home, etc. My nutritionist told me that if I could make > it through 2 weeks, the cravings would die down IF I DID NOT PUT ANY OF > THESE FOODS IN MY MOUTH. Otherwise, the cravings would continue, and if I went > off these foods, and then back on them at a later date, the cravings would > be WORSE. Just like drug addiction.> Then, after 2 weeks (FOR ME), the cravings died down. They never go > completely away.> > It gets easier. But I also want to say that support from people who > understand what this is like, whoare not judgmental, and who will accept a > phone call from a person in the middle of the night are critical.> > Wanna know the worst part? For ME? I have been fighting various types of > cancer for 23 years. Well, the cancer, of course, just came back. (It's > genetic, whole family.) What did I do first? Of course...sugary foods, high > carboydrate sugary foods, cram everything down my throat that I could lay > hands on.> > Now, I have to do the mattress thing again.> > If I could last it out, anyone can. Do what works for you.> > Cyn> > > In a message dated 2/7/2010 11:59:03 P.M. Mountain Standard Time, > jttranscripts writes:> > > > > Hi everyone, I'm new. I'm a vegetarian wanting to become a vegan. But this > question jumped right out at me because I've been trying to slowing eat > less carbs andsugar but find the cravings worse. Cyn, you mentioned you had > the same thing but how did you cure it?> > Jackie> > _@grovegan_c_ ( ) , > "cyn" cyn84074 wrote:> >> > Wait!! I know this!! I know exactly what it is! When I had had enough of > a high sugar, high carbohydrate, high caffeine diet, I made the diet > lifestyle change to healthy food and the CRAVINGS ALMOST KILLED ME. YES! I know > it's TERRIBLE to get off sugar and/or carbohydrates. I was even dreaming at > night about sugary food! Just like coming off heroin. I considered hiding > at home until the cravings passed. I'm still trying to re-acquire the > little sanity I lost during that period....> > Cyn> > Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T> > > > > > Blue Rose bluerose156@blu> > Fri, 5 Feb 2010 09:25:13 > > <_@grovegan_c_ ( ) >> > Re: Re: Please help with cravings> > > > If I ate that much, I'd be stuffed. Seriously.> > > > I'm guessing it's as psychological thing, and you're missing what you> > consider to be "comfort food" based upon what you used to eat, but cut > out.> > Find one or two things you miss and see if you can eat their vegan> > equivalents.> > > > On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Katie greenrootsmama@gre wrote:> > > > > Jo> > >> > > Hmmm, well, a typical day lately would be something like this:> > >> > > breakfast: oatmeal with maple syrup and cinnamon> > > morning snack: popcorn with sea salt and nutritional yeast> > > lunch: pita stuffed with lettuce, carrots, cucumber, tomato, onion, > alfalfa> > > sprouts, avocado, sunflower seeds, spicy mustard and almond milk mayo> > > afternoon snack: apple with peanut butter> > > dinner: vegan chili> > > evening snack: tostada with vegetarian refried beans, guacamole, > lettuce,> > > onions, tomato and salsa> > >> > > I quit smoking about 5 years ago and had cravings for a long time and > still> > > do on occasion. So maybe this is like that. I have been accustomed to> > > consuming all of this unhealthy junk and now I have to "relearn" how to> > > function on good, nutritious food. So it may be that it's a habit that > I'm> > > trying to break and thus the cravings are a result of the synapses > firing> > > off from the old neuron path.> > >> > > Katie> > >> > > _@grovegan_c_ ( ) > , "heartwerk" <jo.heartwork@> wrote:> > > >> > > > Hi Katie> > > >> > > > I've never heard of any of my friends/relatives feeling like that. > Are> > > you eating enough of the filling foods, i.e. beans, lentils, nuts, > rice,> > > tofu. What type of meals are you eating now?> > > >> > > > Jo> > > >> > > > _@grovegan_c_ > ( ) , "Katie" <greenrootsmama@> wrote:> > > > >> > > > > My family and I have been doing the vegan thing for a few weeks > now and> > > althoughthe first week was awesome, we are finding ourselves hungry > all the> > > time now. It's like a craving that we can't quite place so we just keep> > > eating hoping that just being "full" will help. Do any of you have any> > > insight as to how long this will last? How about any tips to satisfy > the> > > cravings?> > > > >> > > > > Katie> > > > >> > > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > ------------ -------- -------- -----> > >> > > To send an email to -unsubscrd an ema> > > Groups Links> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > > > > -- > > AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156> > _http://x-bluerose-http://x-bluerhtt_ > (http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com/) > > _http://timeladydesihttp://tihtt_ (http://timeladydesigns.etsy.com/) > > ~> > _http://groups.http://grohttp://groupshttp:/_ > (Boston_Gothic) > > _http://groups.http://grohttp://groupshttp:/_ > (Boston_Mystic) > > _http://groups.http://grohttp://groupshttp:/_ > (Boston-Pagans) > >>

Guest guest

Because of my husband's developing health issues, we not only turned to

veganism, but we also eliminated caffeine, refined sugar and flour and have

really cut back on salt. We learned quickly, however, that " vegan " doesn't

always mean healthy. So then we eliminated all processed food. My poor

sweetheart has to endure the overpowering smell of coffee wafting around his

office, the mingling aromas of various burgers, sandwiches and other meaty food

consumed by his co-workers taunting his palate every day. I can imagine how

difficult it is for him. I'm a reclusive shut-in who only leaves the house to

take my son to the bus stop and once a week to buy groceries so I don't have to

endure the temptation of the forbidden fruit every day.

I'm so proud of him. In four weeks of healthy veganism and his nagging wife

(that's me:)) pushing him to keep up with his work-out program, he's lost 25

pounds and after the first week his blood pressure was normal. I can put my arms

around him and touch my elbows with my finger tips, something I've never been

able to do since we met. I haven't lost any weight but I'm not over weight, I

just need some toning to get rid of the baby-loogie dangling around my middle

that I inherited after my daughter was born last summer. The results are awesome

so I think that's what keeps Mr. Wonderful faithfully riding the wagon.

Katie

, " cyn " <cyn84074 wrote:

>

> Sweetie, anytime. Let me say that this Vegan list has been like the Fountain

of Knowledge for me. I am thankful for it. Cyn

>

> PS: and, there ain't NOTHING wrong with you. Cyn

> Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T

>

>

> " Katie " <greenrootsmama

> Tue, 09 Feb 2010 15:27:11

>

> Re: Please help with cravings

>

>

> Thank you! Thank you, thank you, thank you and thank you again. We're

> starting our 4th week of veganism and we're finally beginning to notice

> a decrease in the cravings. We recently watched Food Inc. which was very

> helpful in maintaining this change. We've also realized that it's not

> just what goes into our mouths that needs a change, it's " why " . Last

> night we were talking about this and figured out that we both eat out of

> boredom and habit. Since I'm nursing a baby I need more calories than I

> would otherwise but I'm still taking in significantly more than I really

> need. When I quit smoking I would pound a full glass of water every time

> I had a craving for a smoke so we decided to try that with this too.

> We'll see how it goes. It's very reassuring to know that we're not alone

> and that there's nothing " wrong " with us per se so thank you for sharing

> this.

>

> Katie

>

>

> , cyn84074@ wrote:

> >

> > Hi-

> > Oh, dear. I'm about to ask anyone on the list who has never suffered

> from

> > this, who " keeps themselves in shape " , who never had problems with

> eating

> > the wrong types of foods, and who doubts that sugars and caffeine and

> white

> > flour are not as addicting as crack, for example, to go to the

> bathroom or

> > something while I say this. I love all of you but in this, FOR MYSELF,

> I

> > am an expert. People who tell me that it's not a big deal, that I

> should

> > " just " eat right and exercise, well, don't bother.

> >

> > When I decided that being overweight and eating the wrong things was

> going

> > to stop, I transferred to a VERY HEALTHY diet and then...the cravings

> > began. I couldn't go to the mall, because the food court had smells

> that would

> > send me drooling, trembling, shaking, and craving to the car. I

> couldn't

> > go to the movies because, well, popcorn. I couldn't go to a

> restaurant,

> > because, well... you get the idea.

> >

> > I am so sorry, but the only way through this was THROUGH THIS. I

> eventually

> > " went to the mattresses " (as my Italian friends explained was a Mafia

> > thing), stayed home, hunkered down, and waited, sweated, and toughed

> it out.

> > Work, home, work, home, etc. My nutritionist told me that if I could

> make

> > it through 2 weeks, the cravings would die down IF I DID NOT PUT ANY

> OF

> > THESE FOODS IN MY MOUTH. Otherwise, the cravings would continue, and

> if I went

> > off these foods, and then back on them at a later date, the cravings

> would

> > be WORSE. Just like drug addiction.

> > Then, after 2 weeks (FOR ME), the cravings died down. They never go

> > completely away.

> >

> > It gets easier. But I also want to say that support from people who

> > understand what this is like, who are not judgmental, and who will

> accept a

> > phone call from a person in the middle of the night are critical.

> >

> > Wanna know the worst part? For ME? I have been fighting various types

> of

> > cancer for 23 years. Well, the cancer, of course, just came back.

> (It's

> > genetic, whole family.) What did I do first? Of course...sugary foods,

> high

> > carboydrate sugary foods, cram everything down my throat that I could

> lay

> > hands on.

> >

> > Now, I have to do the mattress thing again.

> >

> > If I could last it out, anyone can. Do what works for you.

> >

> > Cyn

> >

> >

> > In a message dated 2/7/2010 11:59:03 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,

> > jttranscripts@ writes:

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Hi everyone, I'm new. I'm a vegetarian wanting to become a vegan. But

> this

> > question jumped right out at me because I've been trying to slowing

> eat

> > less carbs and sugar but find the cravings worse. Cyn, you mentioned

> you had

> > the same thing but how did you cure it?

> >

> > Jackie

> >

> > --- In_@grovegan_c_

> ( ) ,

> > " cyn " cyn84074@ wrote:

> > >

> > > Wait!! I know this!! I know exactly what it is! When I had had

> enough of

> > a high sugar, high carbohydrate, high caffeine diet, I made the diet

> > lifestyle change to healthy food and the CRAVINGS ALMOST KILLED ME.

> YES! I know

> > it's TERRIBLE to get off sugar and/or carbohydrates. I was even

> dreaming at

> > night about sugary food! Just like coming off heroin. I considered

> hiding

> > at home until the cravings passed. I'm still trying to re-acquire the

> > little sanity I lost during that period....

> > > Cyn

> > >

> > >

> > > Blue Rose bluerose156@blu

> > > <_@grovegan_c_

> ( ) >

> > >

> > >

> > > I'm guessing it's as psychological thing, and you're missing what

> you

> > > consider to be " comfort food " based upon what you used to eat, but

> cut

> > out.

> > > equivalents.

> > >

> > > On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Katie greenrootsmama@gre wrote:

> > >

> > > > Jo

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > lunch: pita stuffed with lettuce, carrots, cucumber, tomato,

> onion,

> > alfalfa

> > > > sprouts, avocado, sunflower seeds, spicy mustard and almond milk

> mayo

> > lettuce,

> > > >

> > > > I quit smoking about 5 years ago and had cravings for a long time

> and

> > still

> > > > do on occasion. So maybe this is like that. I have been accustomed

> to

> > > > consuming all of this unhealthy junk and now I have to " relearn "

> how to

> > > > function on good, nutritious food. So it may be that it's a habit

> that

> > I'm

> > firing

> > > >

> > > > Katie

> > > >

> > > > --- In_@grovegan_c_

> ( )

> > , " heartwerk " <jo.heartwork@> wrote:

> > > > >

> > > > > Hi Katie

> > > > >

> > > > > I've never heard of any of my friends/relatives feeling like

> that.

> > Are

> > > > you eating enough of the filling foods, i.e. beans, lentils, nuts,

> > rice,

> > > > >

> > > > > Jo

> > > > >

> > > > > --- In_@grovegan_c_

> > ( ) , " Katie " <greenrootsmama@> wrote:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > My family and I have been doing the vegan thing for a few

> weeks

> > now and

> > > > although the first week was awesome, we are finding ourselves

> hungry

> > all the

> > > > time now. It's like a craving that we can't quite place so we just

> keep

> > > > eating hoping that just being " full " will help. Do any of you have

> any

> > > > insight as to how long this will last? How about any tips to

> satisfy

> > the

> > > > cravings?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Katie

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > ------------ -------- -------- -----

> > > >

> > > > To send an email to -unsubscrd an ema

> > > > Groups Links

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > > --

> > >_http://x-bluerose-http://x-bluerhtt_

> > (http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com/)

> > >_http://timeladydesihttp://tihtt_ (http://timeladydesigns.etsy.com/)

> > > ~

> > >_http://groups.http://grohttp://groupshttp:/_

> > (Boston_Gothic)

> > (Boston_Mystic)

> > (Boston-Pagans)

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Hi Katie

That's really good news.

Jo

>

> Because of my husband's developing health issues, we not only turned to

>

> I'm so proud of him. In four weeks of healthy veganism and his nagging wife

pounds and after the first week his blood pressure was normal. I can put my arms

that I inherited after my daughter was born last summer. The results are awesome

>

> Katie

>

> , " cyn " <cyn84074@> wrote:

> >

> > Sweetie, anytime. Let me say that this Vegan list has been like the Fountain

> >

> > PS: and, there ain't NOTHING wrong with you. Cyn

> > Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T

> >

> >

> > " Katie " <greenrootsmama@>

> > Tue, 09 Feb 2010 15:27:11

> >

> > Re: Please help with cravings

> >

> >

> > Thank you! Thank you, thank you, thank you and thank you again. We're

> > starting our 4th week of veganism and we're finally beginning to notice

> > a decrease in the cravings. We recently watched Food Inc. which was very

> > helpful in maintaining this change. We've also realized that it's not

> > just what goes into our mouths that needs a change, it's " why " . Last

> > night we were talking about this and figured out that we both eat out of

> > boredom and habit. Since I'm nursing a baby I need more calories than I

> > would otherwise but I'm still taking in significantly more than I really

> > need. When I quit smoking I would pound a full glass of water every time

> > I had a craving for a smoke so we decided to try that with this too.

> > We'll see how it goes. It's very reassuring to know that we're not alone

> > and that there's nothing " wrong " with us per se so thank you for sharing

> > this.

> >

> > Katie

> >

> >

> > , cyn84074@ wrote:

> > >

> > > Hi-

> > > Oh, dear. I'm about to ask anyone on the list who has never suffered

> > from

> > > this, who " keeps themselves in shape " , who never had problems with

> > eating

> > > the wrong types of foods, and who doubts that sugars and caffeine and

> > white

> > > flour are not as addicting as crack, for example, to go to the

> > bathroom or

> > > something while I say this. I love all of you but in this, FOR MYSELF,

> > I

> > > am an expert. People who tell me that it's not a big deal, that I

> > should

> > > " just " eat right and exercise, well, don't bother.

> > >

> > > When I decided that being overweight and eating the wrong things was

> > going

> > > to stop, I transferred to a VERY HEALTHY diet and then...the cravings

> > > began. I couldn't go to the mall, because the food court had smells

> > that would

> > > send me drooling, trembling, shaking, and craving to the car. I

> > couldn't

> > > go to the movies because, well, popcorn. I couldn't go to a

> > restaurant,

> > > because, well... you get the idea.

> > >

> > > I am so sorry, but the only way through this was THROUGH THIS. I

> > eventually

> > > " went to the mattresses " (as my Italian friends explained was a Mafia

> > > thing), stayed home, hunkered down, and waited, sweated, and toughed

> > it out.

> > > Work, home, work, home, etc. My nutritionist told me that if I could

> > make

> > > it through 2 weeks, the cravings would die down IF I DID NOT PUT ANY

> > OF

> > > THESE FOODS IN MY MOUTH. Otherwise, the cravings would continue, and

> > if I went

> > > off these foods, and then back on them at a later date, the cravings

> > would

> > > be WORSE. Just like drug addiction.

> > > Then, after 2 weeks (FOR ME), the cravings died down. They never go

> > > completely away.

> > >

> > > It gets easier. But I also want to say that support from people who

> > > understand what this is like, who are not judgmental, and who will

> > accept a

> > > phone call from a person in the middle of the night are critical.

> > >

> > > Wanna know the worst part? For ME? I have been fighting various types

> > of

> > > cancer for 23 years. Well, the cancer, of course, just came back.

> > (It's

> > > genetic, whole family.) What did I do first? Of course...sugary foods,

> > high

> > > carboydrate sugary foods, cram everything down my throat that I could

> > lay

> > > hands on.

> > >

> > > Now, I have to do the mattress thing again.

> > >

> > > If I could last it out, anyone can. Do what works for you.

> > >

> > > Cyn

> > >

> > >

> > > In a message dated 2/7/2010 11:59:03 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,

> > > jttranscripts@ writes:

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Hi everyone, I'm new. I'm a vegetarian wanting to become a vegan. But

> > this

> > > question jumped right out at me because I've been trying to slowing

> > eat

> > > less carbs and sugar but find the cravings worse. Cyn, you mentioned

> > you had

> > > the same thing but how did you cure it?

> > >

> > > Jackie

> > >

> > > --- In_@grovegan_c_

> > ( ) ,

> > > " cyn " cyn84074@ wrote:

> > > >

> > > > Wait!! I know this!! I know exactly what it is! When I had had

> > enough of

> > > a high sugar, high carbohydrate, high caffeine diet, I made the diet

> > > lifestyle change to healthy food and the CRAVINGS ALMOST KILLED ME.

> > YES! I know

> > > it's TERRIBLE to get off sugar and/or carbohydrates. I was even

> > dreaming at

> > > night about sugary food! Just like coming off heroin. I considered

> > hiding

> > > at home until the cravings passed. I'm still trying to re-acquire the

> > > little sanity I lost during that period....

> > > > Cyn

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Blue Rose bluerose156@blu

> > > > <_@grovegan_c_

> > ( ) >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > I'm guessing it's as psychological thing, and you're missing what

> > you

> > > > consider to be " comfort food " based upon what you used to eat, but

> > cut

> > > out.

> > > > equivalents.

> > > >

> > > > On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Katie greenrootsmama@gre wrote:

> > > >

> > > > > Jo

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > lunch: pita stuffed with lettuce, carrots, cucumber, tomato,

> > onion,

> > > alfalfa

> > > > > sprouts, avocado, sunflower seeds, spicy mustard and almond milk

> > mayo

> > > lettuce,

> > > > >

> > > > > I quit smoking about 5 years ago and had cravings for a long time

> > and

> > > still

> > > > > do on occasion. So maybe this is like that. I have been accustomed

> > to

> > > > > consuming all of this unhealthy junk and now I have to " relearn "

> > how to

> > > > > function on good, nutritious food. So it may be that it's a habit

> > that

> > > I'm

> > > firing

> > > > >

> > > > > Katie

> > > > >

> > ( )

> > > , " heartwerk " <jo.heartwork@> wrote:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Hi Katie

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I've never heard of any of my friends/relatives feeling like

> > that.

> > > Are

> > > rice,

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Jo

> > > > > >

> > > > > > --- In_@grovegan_c_

> > > ( ) , " Katie " <greenrootsmama@> wrote:

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > My family and I have been doing the vegan thing for a few

> > weeks

> > > now and

> > > > > although the first week was awesome, we are finding ourselves

> > hungry

> > > all the

> > keep

> > > > > eating hoping that just being " full " will help. Do any of you have

> > any

> > > > > insight as to how long this will last? How about any tips to

> > satisfy

> > > the

> > > > > cravings?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Katie

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > ------------ -------- -------- -----

> > > > >

> > > > > To send an email to -unsubscrd an ema

> > > > > Groups Links

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > --

> > > >_http://x-bluerose-http://x-bluerhtt_

> > > (http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com/)

> > > >_http://timeladydesihttp://tihtt_ (http://timeladydesigns.etsy.com/)

> > > > ~

> > > >_http://groups.http://grohttp://groupshttp:/_

> > > (Boston_Gothic)

> > > (Boston_Mystic)

> > > (Boston-Pagans)

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Thats excellent news about your husband an esteem boost like that and seeing the good results must be really encouraging for you all.Alicia

On 12 February 2010 07:28, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

Hi Katie

That's really good news.

Jo

>

> Because of my husband's developing health issues, we not only turned to veganism, but we also eliminated caffeine, refined sugar and flour and have really cut back on salt. We learned quickly, however, that " vegan " doesn't always mean healthy. So then we eliminated all processed food. My poor sweetheart has to endure the overpowering smell of coffee wafting around his office, the mingling aromas of various burgers, sandwiches and other meaty food consumed by his co-workers taunting his palate every day. I can imagine how difficult it is for him. I'm a reclusive shut-in who only leaves the house to take my son to the bus stop and once a week to buy groceries so I don't have to endure the temptation of the forbidden fruit every day.

>

> I'm so proud of him. In four weeks of healthy veganism and his nagging wife (that's me:)) pushing him to keep up with his work-out program, he's lost 25 pounds and after the first week his blood pressure was normal. I can put my arms around him and touch my elbows with my finger tips, something I've never been able to do since we met. I haven't lost any weight but I'm not over weight, I just need some toning to get rid of the baby-loogie dangling around my middle that I inherited after my daughter was born last summer. The results are awesome so I think that's what keeps Mr. Wonderful faithfully riding the wagon.

>

> Katie

>

> >

> > Sweetie, anytime. Let me say that this Vegan list has been like the Fountain of Knowledge for me. I am thankful for it. Cyn

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Thank you! Thank you, thank you, thank you and thank you again. We're

> > starting our 4th week of veganism and we're finally beginning to notice

> > a decrease in the cravings. We recently watched Food Inc. which was very

> > helpful in maintaining this change. We've also realized that it's not

> > just what goes into our mouths that needs a change, it's " why " . Last

> > night we were talking about this and figured out that we both eat out of

> > boredom and habit. Since I'm nursing a baby I need more calories than I

> > would otherwise but I'm still taking in significantly more than I really

> > need. When I quit smoking I would pound a full glass of water every time

> > I had a craving for a smoke so we decided to try that with this too.

> > We'll see how it goes. It's very reassuring to know that we're not alone

> > and that there's nothing " wrong " with us per se so thank you for sharing

> > this.

> >

> > Katie

> >

> >

> > , cyn84074@ wrote:

> > >

> > > Hi-

> > > Oh, dear. I'm about to ask anyone on the list who has never suffered

> > from

> > > this, who " keeps themselves in shape " , who never had problems with

> > eating

> > > the wrong types of foods, and who doubts that sugars and caffeine and

> > white

> > > flour are not as addicting as crack, for example, to go to the

> > bathroom or

> > > something while I say this. I love all of you but in this, FOR MYSELF,

> > I

> > > am an expert. People who tell me that it's not a big deal, that I

> > should

> > > " just " eat right and exercise, well, don't bother.

> > >

> > > When I decided that being overweight and eating the wrong things was

> > going

> > > to stop, I transferred to a VERY HEALTHY diet and then...the cravings

> > > began. I couldn't go to the mall, because the food court had smells

> > that would

> > > send me drooling, trembling, shaking, and craving to the car. I

> > couldn't

> > > go to the movies because, well, popcorn. I couldn't go to a

> > restaurant,

> > > because, well... you get the idea.

> > >

> > > I am so sorry, but the only way through this was THROUGH THIS. I

> > eventually

> > > " went to the mattresses " (as my Italian friends explained was a Mafia

> > > thing), stayed home, hunkered down, and waited, sweated, and toughed

> > it out.

> > > Work, home, work, home, etc. My nutritionist told me that if I could

> > make

> > > it through 2 weeks, the cravings would die down IF I DID NOT PUT ANY

> > OF

> > > THESE FOODS IN MY MOUTH. Otherwise, the cravings would continue, and

> > if I went

> > > off these foods, and then back on them at a later date, the cravings

> > would

> > > be WORSE. Just like drug addiction.

> > > Then, after 2 weeks (FOR ME), the cravings died down. They never go

> > > completely away.

> > >

> > > It gets easier. But I also want to say that support from people who

> > > understand what this is like, who are not judgmental, and who will

> > accept a

> > > phone call from a person in the middle of the night are critical.

> > >

> > > Wanna know the worst part? For ME? I have been fighting various types

> > of

> > > cancer for 23 years. Well, the cancer, of course, just came back.

> > (It's

> > > genetic, whole family.) What did I do first? Of course...sugary foods,

> > high

> > > carboydrate sugary foods, cram everything down my throat that I could

> > lay

> > > hands on.

> > >

> > > Now, I have to do the mattress thing again.

> > >

> > > If I could last it out, anyone can. Do what works for you.

> > >

> > > Cyn

> > >

> > >

> > > In a message dated 2/7/2010 11:59:03 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,

> > > jttranscripts@ writes:

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Hi everyone, I'm new. I'm a vegetarian wanting to become a vegan. But

> > this

> > > question jumped right out at me because I've been trying to slowing

> > eat

> > > less carbs and sugar but find the cravings worse. Cyn, you mentioned

> > you had

> > > the same thing but how did you cure it?

> > >

> > > Jackie

> > >

> > > --- In_@grovegan_c_

> > ( ) ,

> > > " cyn " cyn84074@ wrote:

> > > >

> > > > Wait!! I know this!! I know exactly what it is! When I had had

> > enough of

> > > a high sugar, high carbohydrate, high caffeine diet, I made the diet

> > > lifestyle change to healthy food and the CRAVINGS ALMOST KILLED ME.

> > YES! I know

> > > it's TERRIBLE to get off sugar and/or carbohydrates. I was even

> > dreaming at

> > > night about sugary food! Just like coming off heroin. I considered

> > hiding

> > > at home until the cravings passed. I'm still trying to re-acquire the

> > > little sanity I lost during that period....

> > > > Cyn

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Blue Rose bluerose156@blu

> > > > <_@grovegan_c_

> > ( ) >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > I'm guessing it's as psychological thing, and you're missing what

> > you

> > > > consider to be " comfort food " based upon what you used to eat, but

> > cut

> > > out.

> > > > equivalents.

> > > >

> > > > On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Katie greenrootsmama@gre wrote:

> > > >

> > > > > Jo

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > lunch: pita stuffed with lettuce, carrots, cucumber, tomato,

> > onion,

> > > alfalfa

> > > > > sprouts, avocado, sunflower seeds, spicy mustard and almond milk

> > mayo

> > > lettuce,

> > > > >

> > > > > I quit smoking about 5 years ago and had cravings for a long time

> > and

> > > still

> > > > > do on occasion. So maybe this is like that. I have been accustomed

> > to

> > > > > consuming all of this unhealthy junk and now I have to " relearn "

> > how to

> > > > > function on good, nutritious food. So it may be that it's a habit

> > that

> > > I'm

> > > firing

> > > > >

> > > > > Katie

> > > > >

> > ( )

> > > , " heartwerk " <jo.heartwork@> wrote:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Hi Katie

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I've never heard of any of my friends/relatives feeling like

> > that.

> > > Are

> > > rice,

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Jo

> > > > > >

> > > > > > --- In_@grovegan_c_

> > > ( ) , " Katie " <greenrootsmama@> wrote:

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > My family and I have been doing the vegan thing for a few

> > weeks

> > > now and

> > > > > although the first week was awesome, we are finding ourselves

> > hungry

> > > all the

> > keep

> > > > > eating hoping that just being " full " will help. Do any of you have

> > any

> > > > > insight as to how long this will last? How about any tips to

> > satisfy

> > > the

> > > > > cravings?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Katie

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > ------------ -------- -------- -----

> > > > >

> > > > > To send an email to -unsubscrd an ema

> > > > > Groups Links

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > --

> > > >_http://x-bluerose-http://x-bluerhtt_

> > > (http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com/)

> > > >_http://timeladydesihttp://tihtt_ (http://timeladydesigns.etsy.com/)

> > > > ~

> > > (Boston_Gothic)

> > > (Boston_Mystic)

> > > (Boston-Pagans)

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Wow 25 pounds in four weeks? That's amazing. Just goes to show how much damage the wrong diet can do... and how healthy it is to be vegan! Congratulations to him and to you as well!

Opalline

> I'm so proud of him. In four weeks of healthy veganism and his nagging wife (that's me:)) pushing him to keep up with his work-out program, he's lost 25 pounds and after the first week his blood pressure was normal.

"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not theintended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error hasmisdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."

"Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems issubject to monitoring and auditing."

Guest guest

Wow Katie that's fantastic!!!

But my goodness, you've pretty much cut out everything that's out there. What do

you eat just veggies because really everything else is processed in some way all

except raw foods? I am truly curious on what you eat because I have 50 pounds to

lose. That tells you something when I'm a vegetarian, LOL.

Jackie

>

> Because of my husband's developing health issues, we not only turned to

>

> I'm so proud of him. In four weeks of healthy veganism and his nagging wife

>

> Katie

>

> >

> > Sweetie, anytime. Let me say that this Vegan list has been like the Fountain

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>> >

>

Guest guest

Jackie:

For breakfast I eat oatmeal or cream of wheat sweetened with maple syrup

and cinnamon. Sometimes we make vegan blueberry muffins or corn meal

pancakes or just cut up fruit.

For lunch I'll have a veggie pita or sandwich if I can find decent bread

(baby greens, avocado, cucumber, tomato, grated carrot, onion, alfalfa

sprouts, pepperocinis, and sunflower seeds) with home-made almond milk

mayo and spicy mustard. I also like bean tostadas with veggies,

guacamole and pico de gallo or pasta salad with artichokes, tomato and

onion with oil and vinegar-type dressing. The pasta I use is whole grain

and organic.

For a snack I like nuts mixed with dry fruit like raisins or

cranberries. I also like popcorn cooked in natural oil and sprinkled

with sea salt (sometimes I put nutritional yeast on it). We always have

a lot of fruit: apples, bananas, oranges, melon. I really like sliced

apples with organic peanut butter spooned onto them. Oh, I almost

forgot about corn chips and salsa. I like to get the organic ones with

sea salt.

Dinners vary a lot more. Tonight we had lemon and garlic pasta while

last night we had bean burritos with guacamole and some veggies. I like

to fry up veggies with macaroni noodles or rice as a " clean out the

fridge " meal, LOL. Broccoli soup is really good and so is vegan chili. I

used to like split pea soup with a ham bone in it but now I just add

hickory liquid smoke and sea salt to it. A lot of Thai vood is vegan and

if you make it yourself then you can make sure there is nothing

processed going into it. I'm not big on the soy meat-substitutes so we

don't do a lot of that.

We haven't delved into the dessert stuff yet but when we do it will be a

rare treat. I know it seems limited but we're still learning and I know

I'm forgetting a lot.

From a health stand-point I believe dairy is the devil, LOL. While it

can be argued that humans are designed to eat [some] meat, we were

certainly not designed to consume milk (or milk products) beyond infancy

- especially pasturized from another animal. I've read some studies of

using raw milk as a therapy to treat various diseases but if those

diseases are not present then there's really no benefit.

It's not just diet that has contributed to my sweetie's weight-loss. He

does P90X every day while I provide the occasional kick in the back side

to motivate him when he gets lazy. I think you can still lose weight

with just a diet change but I imagine it will take quite a bit longer

and really for optimum health it's equally important to exercise, even

if it's just going for a walk around the neighborhood (which we also do

as a family).

I don't know what more I can add. I don't have a lot of experience with

veganism which is why I ask so many questions, LOL, but I'm sure there

are others here who can contribute more than I can on the topic. If you

have more questions, I'd be happy to answer them to the best of my

ability but I'm certainly not an authority on the topic, LOL.

Katie

, " bcoffthegrid " <jttranscripts

wrote:

>

> Wow Katie that's fantastic!!!

>

> But my goodness, you've pretty much cut out everything that's out

there. What do you eat just veggies because really everything else is

processed in some way all except raw foods? I am truly curious on what

you eat because I have 50 pounds to lose. That tells you something when

I'm a vegetarian, LOL.

>

> Jackie

>

> , " Katie " greenrootsmama@ wrote:

> >

> > Because of my husband's developing health issues, we not only turned

to veganism, but we also eliminated caffeine, refined sugar and flour

and have really cut back on salt. We learned quickly, however, that

" vegan " doesn't always mean healthy. So then we eliminated all processed

food. My poor sweetheart has to endure the overpowering smell of coffee

wafting around his office, the mingling aromas of various burgers,

sandwiches and other meaty food consumed by his co-workers taunting his

palate every day. I can imagine how difficult it is for him. I'm a

reclusive shut-in who only leaves the house to take my son to the bus

stop and once a week to buy groceries so I don't have to endure the

temptation of the forbidden fruit every day.

> >

> > I'm so proud of him. In four weeks of healthy veganism and his

nagging wife (that's me:)) pushing him to keep up with his work-out

program, he's lost 25 pounds and after the first week his blood pressure

was normal. I can put my arms around him and touch my elbows with my

finger tips, something I've never been able to do since we met. I

haven't lost any weight but I'm not over weight, I just need some toning

to get rid of the baby-loogie dangling around my middle that I inherited

after my daughter was born last summer. The results are awesome so I

think that's what keeps Mr. Wonderful faithfully riding the wagon.

> >

> > Katie

> >

> > , " cyn " <cyn84074@> wrote:

> > >

> > > Sweetie, anytime. Let me say that this Vegan list has been like

the Fountain of Knowledge for me. I am thankful for it. Cyn

> > >

> > > PS: and, there ain't NOTHING wrong with you. Cyn

> > >

> > >

> > > " Katie " <greenrootsmama@>

> > > Tue, 09 Feb 2010 15:27:11

> > >

> > > Re: Please help with cravings

> > >

> >> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Actually Katie, those sounds like fantastic meals. I haven't had a veggie pasta

salad in ages and it's amazing what you forget to make. So, congratulations to

both of you for making such healthy choices. I guess I really need to get myself

a good vegan cookbook for some variety. You're an inspiration.

Jackie

>

>

> Jackie:

>

> For breakfast I eat oatmeal or cream of wheat sweetened with maple syrup

> and cinnamon. Sometimes we make vegan blueberry muffins or corn meal

> pancakes or just cut up fruit.

>

> For lunch I'll have a veggie pita or sandwich if I can find decent bread

> (baby greens, avocado, cucumber, tomato, grated carrot, onion, alfalfa

> sprouts, pepperocinis, and sunflower seeds) with home-made almond milk

> mayo and spicy mustard. I also like bean tostadas with veggies,

> guacamole and pico de gallo or pasta salad with artichokes, tomato and

> onion with oil and vinegar-type dressing. The pasta I use is whole grain

> and organic.

>

> For a snack I like nuts mixed with dry fruit like raisins or

> cranberries. I also like popcorn cooked in natural oil and sprinkled

> with sea salt (sometimes I put nutritional yeast on it). We always have

> a lot of fruit: apples, bananas, oranges, melon. I really like sliced

> apples with organic peanut butter spooned onto them. Oh, I almost

> forgot about corn chips and salsa. I like to get the organic ones with

> sea salt.

>

> Dinners vary a lot more. Tonight we had lemon and garlic pasta while

> last night we had bean burritos with guacamole and some veggies. I like

> to fry up veggies with macaroni noodles or rice as a " clean out the

> fridge " meal, LOL. Broccoli soup is really good and so is vegan chili. I

> used to like split pea soup with a ham bone in it but now I just add

> hickory liquid smoke and sea salt to it. A lot of Thai vood is vegan and

> if you make it yourself then you can make sure there is nothing

> processed going into it. I'm not big on the soy meat-substitutes so we

> don't do a lot of that.

>

> We haven't delved into the dessert stuff yet but when we do it will be a

> rare treat. I know it seems limited but we're still learning and I know

> I'm forgetting a lot.

>

> From a health stand-point I believe dairy is the devil, LOL. While it

> can be argued that humans are designed to eat [some] meat, we were

> certainly not designed to consume milk (or milk products) beyond infancy

> - especially pasturized from another animal. I've read some studies of

> using raw milk as a therapy to treat various diseases but if those

> diseases are not present then there's really no benefit.

>

> It's not just diet that has contributed to my sweetie's weight-loss. He

> does P90X every day while I provide the occasional kick in the back side

> to motivate him when he gets lazy. I think you can still lose weight

> with just a diet change but I imagine it will take quite a bit longer

> and really for optimum health it's equally important to exercise, even

> if it's just going for a walk around the neighborhood (which we also do

> as a family).

>

> I don't know what more I can add. I don't have a lot of experience with

> veganism which is why I ask so many questions, LOL, but I'm sure there

> are others here who can contribute more than I can on the topic. If you

> have more questions, I'd be happy to answer them to the best of my

> ability but I'm certainly not an authority on the topic, LOL.

>

> Katie

>

>

> , " bcoffthegrid " <jttranscripts@>

> wrote:

> >

> > Wow Katie that's fantastic!!!

> >

> > But my goodness, you've pretty much cut out everything that's out

> there. What do you eat just veggies because really everything else is

> processed in some way all except raw foods? I am truly curious on what

> you eat because I have 50 pounds to lose. That tells you something when

> I'm a vegetarian, LOL.

> >

> > Jackie

> >

> > , " Katie " greenrootsmama@ wrote:

> > >

> > > Because of my husband's developing health issues, we not only turned

> to veganism, but we also eliminated caffeine, refined sugar and flour

> and have really cut back on salt. We learned quickly, however, that

> " vegan " doesn't always mean healthy. So then we eliminated all processed

> food. My poor sweetheart has to endure the overpowering smell of coffee

> wafting around his office, the mingling aromas of various burgers,

> sandwiches and other meaty food consumed by his co-workers taunting his

> palate every day. I can imagine how difficult it is for him. I'm a

> reclusive shut-in who only leaves the house to take my son to the bus

> stop and once a week to buy groceries so I don't have to endure the

> temptation of the forbidden fruit every day.

> > >

> > > I'm so proud of him. In four weeks of healthy veganism and his

> nagging wife (that's me:)) pushing him to keep up with his work-out

> program, he's lost 25 pounds and after the first week his blood pressure

> was normal. I can put my arms around him and touch my elbows with my

> finger tips, something I've never been able to do since we met. I

> haven't lost any weight but I'm not over weight, I just need some toning

> to get rid of the baby-loogie dangling around my middle that I inherited

> after my daughter was born last summer. The results are awesome so I

> think that's what keeps Mr. Wonderful faithfully riding the wagon.

> > >

> > > Katie

> > >

> > > , " cyn " <cyn84074@> wrote:

> > > >

> > > > Sweetie, anytime. Let me say that this Vegan list has been like

> the Fountain of Knowledge for me. I am thankful for it. Cyn

> > > >

> > > > PS: and, there ain't NOTHING wrong with you. Cyn

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > " Katie " <greenrootsmama@>

> > > > Tue, 09 Feb 2010 15:27:11

> > > >

> > > > Re: Please help with cravings

> > > >

> > >> >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Please share the veggie pasta salad recipe! i'm salivating already!

, " bcoffthegrid " <jttranscripts wrote:

>

> Actually Katie, those sounds like fantastic meals. I haven't had a veggie

pasta salad in ages and it's amazing what you forget to make. So,

congratulations to both of you for making such healthy choices. I guess I really

need to get myself a good vegan cookbook for some variety. You're an

inspiration.

>

> Jackie

>

> , " Katie " <greenrootsmama@> wrote:

> >

> >

> > Jackie:

> >

> > For breakfast I eat oatmeal or cream of wheat sweetened with maple syrup

> > and cinnamon. Sometimes we make vegan blueberry muffins or corn meal

> > pancakes or just cut up fruit.

> >

> > For lunch I'll have a veggie pita or sandwich if I can find decent bread

> > (baby greens, avocado, cucumber, tomato, grated carrot, onion, alfalfa

> > sprouts, pepperocinis, and sunflower seeds) with home-made almond milk

> > mayo and spicy mustard. I also like bean tostadas with veggies,

> > guacamole and pico de gallo or pasta salad with artichokes, tomato and

> > onion with oil and vinegar-type dressing. The pasta I use is whole grain

> > and organic.

> >

> > For a snack I like nuts mixed with dry fruit like raisins or

> > cranberries. I also like popcorn cooked in natural oil and sprinkled

> > with sea salt (sometimes I put nutritional yeast on it). We always have

> > a lot of fruit: apples, bananas, oranges, melon. I really like sliced

> > apples with organic peanut butter spooned onto them. Oh, I almost

> > forgot about corn chips and salsa. I like to get the organic ones with

> > sea salt.

> >

> > Dinners vary a lot more. Tonight we had lemon and garlic pasta while

> > last night we had bean burritos with guacamole and some veggies. I like

> > to fry up veggies with macaroni noodles or rice as a " clean out the

> > fridge " meal, LOL. Broccoli soup is really good and so is vegan chili. I

> > used to like split pea soup with a ham bone in it but now I just add

> > hickory liquid smoke and sea salt to it. A lot of Thai vood is vegan and

> > if you make it yourself then you can make sure there is nothing

> > processed going into it. I'm not big on the soy meat-substitutes so we

> > don't do a lot of that.

> >

> > We haven't delved into the dessert stuff yet but when we do it will be a

> > rare treat. I know it seems limited but we're still learning and I know

> > I'm forgetting a lot.

> >

> > From a health stand-point I believe dairy is the devil, LOL. While it

> > can be argued that humans are designed to eat [some] meat, we were

> > certainly not designed to consume milk (or milk products) beyond infancy

> > - especially pasturized from another animal. I've read some studies of

> > using raw milk as a therapy to treat various diseases but if those

> > diseases are not present then there's really no benefit.

> >

> > It's not just diet that has contributed to my sweetie's weight-loss. He

> > does P90X every day while I provide the occasional kick in the back side

> > to motivate him when he gets lazy. I think you can still lose weight

> > with just a diet change but I imagine it will take quite a bit longer

> > and really for optimum health it's equally important to exercise, even

> > if it's just going for a walk around the neighborhood (which we also do

> > as a family).

> >

> > I don't know what more I can add. I don't have a lot of experience with

> > veganism which is why I ask so many questions, LOL, but I'm sure there

> > are others here who can contribute more than I can on the topic. If you

> > have more questions, I'd be happy to answer them to the best of my

> > ability but I'm certainly not an authority on the topic, LOL.

> >

> > Katie

> >

> >

> > , " bcoffthegrid " <jttranscripts@>

> > wrote:

> > >

> > > Wow Katie that's fantastic!!!

> > >

> > > But my goodness, you've pretty much cut out everything that's out

> > there. What do you eat just veggies because really everything else is

> > processed in some way all except raw foods? I am truly curious on what

> > you eat because I have 50 pounds to lose. That tells you something when

> > I'm a vegetarian, LOL.

> > >

> > > Jackie

> > >

> > > , " Katie " greenrootsmama@ wrote:

> > > >

> > > > Because of my husband's developing health issues, we not only turned

> > to veganism, but we also eliminated caffeine, refined sugar and flour

> > and have really cut back on salt. We learned quickly, however, that

> > " vegan " doesn't always mean healthy. So then we eliminated all processed

> > food. My poor sweetheart has to endure the overpowering smell of coffee

> > wafting around his office, the mingling aromas of various burgers,

> > sandwiches and other meaty food consumed by his co-workers taunting his

> > palate every day. I can imagine how difficult it is for him. I'm a

> > reclusive shut-in who only leaves the house to take my son to the bus

> > stop and once a week to buy groceries so I don't have to endure the

> > temptation of the forbidden fruit every day.

> > > >

> > > > I'm so proud of him. In four weeks of healthy veganism and his

> > nagging wife (that's me:)) pushing him to keep up with his work-out

> > program, he's lost 25 pounds and after the first week his blood pressure

> > was normal. I can put my arms around him and touch my elbows with my

> > finger tips, something I've never been able to do since we met. I

> > haven't lost any weight but I'm not over weight, I just need some toning

> > to get rid of the baby-loogie dangling around my middle that I inherited

> > after my daughter was born last summer. The results are awesome so I

> > think that's what keeps Mr. Wonderful faithfully riding the wagon.

> > > >

> > > > Katie

> > > >

> > > > , " cyn " <cyn84074@> wrote:

> > > > >

> > > > > Sweetie, anytime. Let me say that this Vegan list has been like

> > the Fountain of Knowledge for me. I am thankful for it. Cyn

> > > > >

> > > > > PS: and, there ain't NOTHING wrong with you. Cyn

> > > > > Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T

> > > > >

> > > > >