IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Please help with cravings

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My family and I have been doing the vegan thing for a few weeks now and although

the first week was awesome, we are finding ourselves hungry all the time now.

It's like a craving that we can't quite place so we just keep eating hoping that

just being " full " will help. Do any of you have any insight as to how long this

will last? How about any tips to satisfy the cravings?

Katie

Guest guest

What are you eating? I never had this problem but I did notice that things didn't feel like a lead brick in my stomach when I was done eating. I saw this as a good thing, not a bad thing. :)

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Katie <greenrootsmama wrote:

My family and I have been doing the vegan thing for a few weeks now and although the first week was awesome, we are finding ourselves hungry all the time now. It's like a craving that we can't quite place so we just keep eating hoping that just being " full " will help. Do any of you have any insight as to how long this will last? How about any tips to satisfy the cravings?

Katie

---

To send an email to -! Groups Links

<*>

/

<*> Your email settings:

Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

/join

( ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

-digest

-fullfeatured

<*>

Guest guest

Hi Katie

I've never heard of any of my friends/relatives feeling like that. Are you

eating enough of the filling foods, i.e. beans, lentils, nuts, rice, tofu. What

type of meals are you eating now?

Jo

, " Katie " <greenrootsmama wrote:

>

> My family and I have been doing the vegan thing for a few weeks now and

although the first week was awesome, we are finding ourselves hungry all the

time now. It's like a craving that we can't quite place so we just keep eating

hoping that just being " full " will help. Do any of you have any insight as to

how long this will last? How about any tips to satisfy the cravings?

>

> Katie

>

Guest guest

Jo

Hmmm, well, a typical day lately would be something like this:

breakfast: oatmeal with maple syrup and cinnamon

morning snack: popcorn with sea salt and nutritional yeast

lunch: pita stuffed with lettuce, carrots, cucumber, tomato, onion, alfalfa

sprouts, avocado, sunflower seeds, spicy mustard and almond milk mayo

afternoon snack: apple with peanut butter

dinner: vegan chili

evening snack: tostada with vegetarian refried beans, guacamole, lettuce,

onions, tomato and salsa

I quit smoking about 5 years ago and had cravings for a long time and still do

on occasion. So maybe this is like that. I have been accustomed to consuming all

of this unhealthy junk and now I have to " relearn " how to function on good,

nutritious food. So it may be that it's a habit that I'm trying to break and

thus the cravings are a result of the synapses firing off from the old neuron

path.

Katie

, " heartwerk " <jo.heartwork wrote:

>

> Hi Katie

>

> I've never heard of any of my friends/relatives feeling like that. Are you

>

> Jo

>

> , " Katie " <greenrootsmama@> wrote:

> >

> > My family and I have been doing the vegan thing for a few weeks now and

> >

> > Katie

> >

>

Guest guest

I haven't found that to be the case either, in fact, I'm usually so stuffed I don't even think about dessert.Patricia--- On Wed, 2/3/10, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:heartwerk <jo.heartwork Re: Please help with cravings Date: Wednesday, February 3, 2010, 11:41 PMHi KatieI've never heard of any of my friends/relatives feeling like that. Are you eating enough of the filling foods, i.e. beans, lentils, nuts, rice, tofu. What type of meals are you eating now?Jo , "Katie" <greenrootsmama wrote:>> My family and I have been doing the vegan thing for a few weeks now and although the first week was awesome, we are finding ourselves hungry all the time now. It's like a craving that we can't quite place so we just keep eating hoping that just being "full" will help. Do any of you have any insight as to how long this will last? How about any tips to satisfy the cravings? > > Katie>---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>

Guest guest

Hi Katie

It sounds like you are eating a really healthy diet, and plenty of it. I wonder

if the cravings are your bodies way of saying ' hey, I'm getting good food,

let's have some more'. You are now getting the nutrition you need.

I can only suggest that you eat more of the same if you are hungry and maybe

make sure you have plenty of different flavours and sauces with your main meal.

Jo

>

> Jo

>

> Hmmm, well, a typical day lately would be something like this:

>

> breakfast: oatmeal with maple syrup and cinnamon

> morning snack: popcorn with sea salt and nutritional yeast

> lunch: pita stuffed with lettuce, carrots, cucumber, tomato, onion, alfalfa

sprouts, avocado, sunflower seeds, spicy mustard and almond milk mayo

> afternoon snack: apple with peanut butter

> dinner: vegan chili

> evening snack: tostada with vegetarian refried beans, guacamole, lettuce,

onions, tomato and salsa

>

> I quit smoking about 5 years ago and had cravings for a long time and still do

on occasion. So maybe this is like that. I have been accustomed to consuming all

of this unhealthy junk and now I have to " relearn " how to function on good,

nutritious food. So it may be that it's a habit that I'm trying to break and

thus the cravings are a result of the synapses firing off from the old neuron

path.

>

> Katie

>

> , " heartwerk " <jo.heartwork@> wrote:

> >

> > Hi Katie

> >

> > I've never heard of any of my friends/relatives feeling like that. Are you

> >

> > Jo

> >

> > , " Katie " <greenrootsmama@> wrote:

> > >

> > > My family and I have been doing the vegan thing for a few weeks now and

> > >

> > > Katie

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

The last time I went vegan I went cold turkey on all the vegan foods I'd been living on for so many years. I definitely noticed that I felt hungry most of the time even though I was eating a lot of food, gigantic pasta salads, lots of rice etc (I hadn't realised back then that pulses were the best things to eat when you want to feel full up for a long time... I basically lived on carbohydrates and vegetables). And I craved the non vegan stuff very badly... oh, the cheese urges *cries*

Eventually I fell off the wagon. *shame*

Now I'm back on it and I've taken a different approach to things. I weaned myself off the dairy junk and fried rubbish a little at a time. I'm still not completely vegan because I have yet to cut out things like additives in food which may be dairy in origin but aren't obviously so unless you know what the E numbers mean, but all other dairy products are GONE. Because I did it this way, I didn't suffer from the cravings so badly.

I really believe that your body becomes addicted to dairy and junk food and that's why you crave them when you stop, even if you stuff yourself silly with healthy vegan food until you're ready to burst - it's not actually hunger, it's habit.

One thing I've learned this time round is that eating a lot of pulses and wholemeal carbs helps a lot. I was astounded how much fuller for longer I felt when I switched to wholemeal pasta, for instance. Makes me see the white stuff in a whole new light really!

Opalline

"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not theintended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error hasmisdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."

"Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems issubject to monitoring and auditing."

Guest guest

After a few weeks I noticed I felt hungrier more too, I used to eat yogurt and cheese but am sure these foods used to bloat me out, which made me feel full! I think overall I eat little and often more- for main meals including wholemeal pastas and grains, and lots of pulses such as red lentils, kidney beans etc. I think that by cutting out the animals fats, it leaves space to increase portion sizes, so don't worry if you feel you are eating more, it probably balances out.BeaUnderwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER Sent: Fri, 5 February, 2010 9:47:32RE: Re: Please help with cravings

The last time I went vegan I went cold turkey on all the vegan foods I'd been living on for so many years. I definitely noticed that I felt hungry most of the time even though I was eating a lot of food, gigantic pasta salads, lots of rice etc (I hadn't realised back then that pulses were the best things to eat when you want to feel full up for a long time... I basically lived on carbohydrates and vegetables). And I craved the non vegan stuff very badly... oh, the cheese urges *cries*

Eventually I fell off the wagon. *shame*

Now I'm back on it and I've taken a different approach to things. I weaned myself off the dairy junk and fried rubbish a little at a time. I'm still not completely vegan because I have yet to cut out things like additives in food which may be dairy in origin but aren't obviously so unless you know what the E numbers mean, but all other dairy products are GONE. Because I did it this way, I didn't suffer from the cravings so badly.

I really believe that your body becomes addicted to dairy and junk food and that's why you crave them when you stop, even if you stuff yourself silly with healthy vegan food until you're ready to burst - it's not actually hunger, it's habit.

One thing I've learned this time round is that eating a lot of pulses and wholemeal carbs helps a lot. I was astounded how much fuller for longer I felt when I switched to wholemeal pasta, for instance. Makes me see the white stuff in a whole new light really!

Opalline

"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not theintended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error hasmisdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."

"Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems issubject to monitoring and auditing."

Guest guest

If I ate that much, I'd be stuffed. Seriously.I'm guessing it's as psychological thing, and you're missing what you consider to be " comfort food " based upon what you used to eat, but cut out. Find one or two things you miss and see if you can eat their vegan equivalents.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Katie <greenrootsmama wrote:

Jo

lunch: pita stuffed with lettuce, carrots, cucumber, tomato, onion, alfalfa sprouts, avocado, sunflower seeds, spicy mustard and almond milk mayo

evening snack: tostada with vegetarian refried beans, guacamole, lettuce, onions, tomato and salsa

I quit smoking about 5 years ago and had cravings for a long time and still do on occasion. So maybe this is like that. I have been accustomed to consuming all of this unhealthy junk and now I have to " relearn " how to function on good, nutritious food. So it may be that it's a habit that I'm trying to break and thus the cravings are a result of the synapses firing off from the old neuron path.

Katie

, " heartwerk " <jo.heartwork wrote:

>

> Hi Katie

>

> I've never heard of any of my friends/relatives feeling like that.  Are you eating enough of the filling foods, i.e. beans, lentils, nuts, rice, tofu.  What type of meals are you eating now?

>

> Jo

>

> , " Katie " <greenrootsmama@> wrote:

> >

> > My family and I have been doing the vegan thing for a few weeks now and although the first week was awesome, we are finding ourselves hungry all the time now. It's like a craving that we can't quite place so we just keep eating hoping that just being " full " will help. Do any of you have any insight as to how long this will last? How about any tips to satisfy the cravings?

> >

> > Katie

> >

>

---

To send an email to -! Groups Links

<*>

/

<*> Your email settings:

Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

/join

( ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

-digest

-fullfeatured

<*>

Guest guest

Sounds very well balanced. This sounds very reasonable to me. Some days I eat alot and some days not so much. It all balances out. Keep it going. CeAnne in NM--- On Thu, 2/4/10, Katie <greenrootsmama wrote:Katie <greenrootsmama Re: Please help with cravings Date: Thursday, February 4, 2010, 8:09 AM

Jo

lunch: pita stuffed with lettuce, carrots, cucumber, tomato, onion, alfalfa sprouts, avocado, sunflower seeds, spicy mustard and almond milk mayo

evening snack: tostada with vegetarian refried beans, guacamole, lettuce, onions, tomato and salsa

I quit smoking about 5 years ago and had cravings for a long time and still do on occasion. So maybe this is like that. I have been accustomed to consuming all of this unhealthy junk and now I have to "relearn" how to function on good, nutritious food. So it may be that it's a habit that I'm trying to break and thus the cravings are a result of the synapses firing off from the old neuron path.

Katie

@gro ups.com, "heartwerk" <jo.heartwork@ ...> wrote:

>

> Hi Katie

>

> I've never heard of any of my friends/relatives feeling like that. Are you eating enough of the filling foods, i.e. beans, lentils, nuts, rice, tofu. What type of meals are you eating now?

>

> Jo

>

> @gro ups.com, "Katie" <greenrootsmama@ > wrote:

> >

> > My family and I have been doing the vegan thing for a few weeks now and although the first week was awesome, we are finding ourselves hungry all the time now. It's like a craving that we can't quite place so we just keep eating hoping that just being "full" will help. Do any of you have any insight as to how long this will last? How about any tips to satisfy the cravings?

> >

> > Katie

> >

>

Guest guest

Wait!! I know this!! I know exactly what it is! When I had had enough of a high sugar, high carbohydrate, high caffeine diet, I made the diet lifestyle change to healthy food and the CRAVINGS ALMOST KILLED ME. YES! I know it's TERRIBLE to get off sugar and/or carbohydrates. I was even dreaming at night about sugary food! Just like coming off heroin. I considered hiding at home until the cravings passed. I'm still trying to re-acquire the little sanity I lost during that period....CynSent via BlackBerry by AT&T Blue Rose <bluerose156Fri, 5 Feb 2010 09:25:13 -0500Re: Re: Please help with cravings If I ate that much, I'd be stuffed. Seriously.I'm guessing it's as psychological thing, and you're missing what you consider to be " comfort food " based upon what you used to eat, but cut out. Find one or two things you miss and see if you can eat their vegan equivalents.On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Katie <greenrootsmama > wrote:JoHmmm, well, a typical day lately would be something like this:breakfast: oatmeal with maple syrup and cinnamonmorning snack: popcorn with sea salt and nutritional yeastlunch: pita stuffed with lettuce, carrots, cucumber, tomato, onion, alfalfa sprouts, avocado, sunflower seeds, spicy mustard and almond milk mayoafternoon snack: apple with peanut butterdinner: vegan chilievening snack: tostada with vegetarian refried beans, guacamole, lettuce, onions, tomato and salsaI quit smoking about 5 years ago and had cravings for a long time and still do on occasion. So maybe this is like that. I have been accustomed to consuming all of this unhealthy junk and now I have to " relearn " how to function on good, nutritious food. So it may be that it's a habit that I'm trying to break and thus the cravings are a result of the synapses firing off from the old neuron path.Katie , " heartwerk " <jo.heartwork wrote:>> Hi Katie>> I've never heard of any of my friends/relatives feeling like that.  Are you eating enough of the filling foods, i.e. beans, lentils, nuts, rice, tofu.  What type of meals are you eating now?>> Jo>> , " Katie " <greenrootsmama@> wrote:> >> > My family and I have been doing the vegan thing for a few weeks now and although the first week was awesome, we are finding ourselves hungry all the time now. It's like a craving that we can't quite place so we just keep eating hoping that just being " full " will help. Do any of you have any insight as to how long this will last? How about any tips to satisfy the cravings?> >> > Katie> >>---To send an email to -

Guest guest

This really makes me feel better knowing that it's just a cleansing reaction.

Our diets weren't horrible. I mean we had already eliminated a lot of processed

foods but we were beginning to get off track in favor of convenience. We were

still consuming refined sugar and white flour though. My husband has it harder

than me I think because he was a coffee fiend and had to have some kind of sweet

treat every day. He had to eliminate caffeine for his blood pressure.

, " cyn " <cyn84074 wrote:

>

> Wait!! I know this!! I know exactly what it is! When I had had enough of a

high sugar, high carbohydrate, high caffeine diet, I made the diet lifestyle

change to healthy food and the CRAVINGS ALMOST KILLED ME. YES! I know it's

TERRIBLE to get off sugar and/or carbohydrates. I was even dreaming at night

about sugary food! Just like coming off heroin. I considered hiding at home

until the cravings passed. I'm still trying to re-acquire the little sanity I

lost during that period....

> Cyn

> Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T

>

>

> Blue Rose <bluerose156

> Fri, 5 Feb 2010 09:25:13

>

> Re: Re: Please help with cravings

>

> If I ate that much, I'd be stuffed. Seriously.

>

> I'm guessing it's as psychological thing, and you're missing what you

> consider to be " comfort food " based upon what you used to eat, but cut out.

> Find one or two things you miss and see if you can eat their vegan

> equivalents.

>

> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Katie <greenrootsmama wrote:

>

> > Jo

> >

> > Hmmm, well, a typical day lately would be something like this:

> >

> > breakfast: oatmeal with maple syrup and cinnamon

> > morning snack: popcorn with sea salt and nutritional yeast

> > lunch: pita stuffed with lettuce, carrots, cucumber, tomato, onion, alfalfa

> > sprouts, avocado, sunflower seeds, spicy mustard and almond milk mayo

> > afternoon snack: apple with peanut butter

> > dinner: vegan chili

> > evening snack: tostada with vegetarian refried beans, guacamole, lettuce,

> > onions, tomato and salsa

> >

> > I quit smoking about 5 years ago and had cravings for a long time and still

> > do on occasion. So maybe this is like that. I have been accustomed to

> > consuming all of this unhealthy junk and now I have to " relearn " how to

> > function on good, nutritious food. So it may be that it's a habit that I'm

> > trying to break and thus the cravings are a result of the synapses firing

> > off from the old neuron path.

> >

> > Katie

> >

> > , " heartwerk " <jo.heartwork@> wrote:

> > >

> > > Hi Katie

> > >

> > > I've never heard of any of my friends/relatives feeling like that. Are

> > you eating enough of the filling foods, i.e. beans, lentils, nuts, rice,

> > tofu. What type of meals are you eating now?

> > >

> > > Jo

> > >

> > > , " Katie " <greenrootsmama@> wrote:

> > > >

> > > > My family and I have been doing the vegan thing for a few weeks now and

> > although the first week was awesome, we are finding ourselves hungry all the

> > time now. It's like a craving that we can't quite place so we just keep

> > eating hoping that just being " full " will help. Do any of you have any

> > insight as to how long this will last? How about any tips to satisfy the

> > cravings?

> > > >

> > > > Katie

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > ---

> >

> > To send an email to -!

> > Groups Links

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

>

> --

> AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156

> http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com

> http://timeladydesigns.etsy.com

> ~

> Boston_Gothic

> Boston_Mystic

> Boston-Pagans

>

Guest guest

Keep with it. For the first couple of months I had hankering for some of the things I had given up. Its mostly getting used to different habits I think. Finding a good vegan comfort food or treat helps too I found.

Alicia x

Guest guest

>>>> It's like a craving that we can't quite place so we just keep

eating hoping that just being " full " will help. Do any of you have any

insight as to how long this will last? How about any tips to satisfy the

cravings? <<<<

I went through that as well. I used to eat cheese when I felt a bit

hungry, and when I went vegan I would feel undefined cravings. I don't

anymore, and I don't recall when it stopped, so I assume it's a

transitional feeling.

I did find some quick bites to help with afternoon hunger. I love veggie

cold cuts and hot dogs, I'd grab a few slices or eat one hot dog. It

would fill me up pretty well until dinner. I also found that eating a

piece of fruit at the end of the school day (I'm a teacher) gives me a

good boost.

Cheers,

--

Trish Carr

http://home.comcast.net/~bantrymoon/

Guest guest

My husband is still working on that. He feels hungry a lot. I did for awhile,

but got over it pretty quickly. He's getting better about it. I just make sure

we have a lot of healthy snacks around and not too much vegan junk food. That

helps. And as someone else said, vegan comfort food. I make " fried chicken "

from " La Dolce Vegan, " by Sarah Kramer. That really satisfies any cravings I

have. That and garlicky oven fries.

Missie Harhold

and Gracie the Ibizan Hound

and Jeanie the Greyhound

greyhounddog

" Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants

happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other

creatures. "

-Dalai Lama of Tibet, His Holiness, The XIV

Guest guest

I guess i am confused, as to you having cravings and being hungry. What is teh

reason you have gone vegan? I have gone vegan because I do not want to eat

animals or be part of the ridiculous mistreatment that most people are blind

too. I guess at first i got cravings too, and the reason of my going vegan

washed those cravings away. Your post, to me, and this is strictly just my

opinion and i mean no disrespect, sounds as though you have gone on the south

beach diet to lose a few lbs and you need a cookie. What you are starting out on

is a life changing,again in my opinion-for the better, decision you are making.

Do you want to help your health, help animals, eat healthier..whatever your

reason is, do you want to be vegan is the question. It is not a matter of

willpower, it is a matter almost of mental strength. Do you want to hold fast to

what choice you are attempting to make...or do you want a slice of cheese?? The

decision for people who want to do this is clear. It is not easy, but it is now

a mental puzzle for you. You will now need to find substitutions for the things

you ate everyday. or you open your mind to new things that excite your senses.

You sound to me as though you are almost dreading the change, look to it as a

challenge. There are so many " cheese " substitutes out there, have you tried any?

They satisfy just fine. I was a cheese-o-holic when i first started. but i

rarely even think about it now, because when i missed it, i simply thought about

where it came from and it made me sick and i didn't want to eat it.

as far being full, it is honestly no different than starting any diet...look

around, see what parameters you have and start trying things. broc and

cauliflower are " fill you up foods " - one of my favorite recipes is broccoli

salad. fills you up, is yummy awesome.

take a head of broc,a head of cali and blanch in boiling water for 1 minute.

take a cup of vegenase,1/4 of sweetener(sugar,ect) and 1 tblp(or more to your

liking)mix all together and make a dressing, dump and mix over the broc and

cali. throw in some chopped onion and also some mix of vegan

bacos,soybeans,sunflower seeds(you can getthe mccormic mix ins) this recipe is

awesome, filling and comforting. try this.

stay strong and think about why you are making this choice. That is what will

stop your cravings.

www.vegweb.com is the most incredible vegan site. I love it. try some of the

recipes. This is where i got started.

didn't mean to be mean, just wanted to be realistic. Good luck on your journey

, bantrymoon <bantrymoon wrote:

>

> >>>> It's like a craving that we can't quite place so we just keep

> eating hoping that just being " full " will help. Do any of you have any

> insight as to how long this will last? How about any tips to satisfy the

> cravings? <<<<

>

> I went through that as well. I used to eat cheese when I felt a bit

> hungry, and when I went vegan I would feel undefined cravings. I don't

> anymore, and I don't recall when it stopped, so I assume it's a

> transitional feeling.

>

> I did find some quick bites to help with afternoon hunger. I love veggie

> cold cuts and hot dogs, I'd grab a few slices or eat one hot dog. It

> would fill me up pretty well until dinner. I also found that eating a

> piece of fruit at the end of the school day (I'm a teacher) gives me a

> good boost.

>

> Cheers,

>

> --

> Trish Carr

> http://home.comcast.net/~bantrymoon/

>

Guest guest

At 5:59 PM +0000 2/7/10, sprightcat wrote:

>I guess i am confused, as to you having cravings and being hungry....

>

sprightcat, I think you're being too hard on Katie. She said, in

part, " we are finding ourselves hungry all the time now. It's like a

craving that we can't quite place so we just keep eating hoping that

just being " full " will help. "

I'd probably advise bigger portions and more vegetables! One thing to

remember is that -- if you're eating whole grains, beans, vegetables,

and fruit, with very little processed foodlike substances or added

fats or sugars -- you may need to eat more (even a lot more) than

you're used to eating. Once you take the fatty animal products off

the plate, you have a lot more calories to play with.

I like playing with numbers. A couple decades ago when I became

vegan, my father was put on a low-potassium diet and was complaining

that he wasn't allowed to eat some of his favorite foods (such as

buckwheat). So I looked at the K content of many foods and figured

out that if he left out the animal products, he could eat a much more

varied and filling diet. I figured out the K and calorie content of a

week's worth of menus, and I don't know how well my parents followed

them, but I think cutting way back on animal foods kept him from

having to go on dialysis.

Anyway, it may be worth looking at some vegan menu sites or books to

make sure you're getting enough calories.

Guest guest

I did not choose veganism because I felt any particular guilt about consuming

animal flesh. I am, however, positively revolted by the treatment of the animals

in the mass-producing meat industry. Rather, I chose veganism to improve my

health and the health of my family (we are a little overweight and my husband

had high blood pressure). I am breastfeeding so I try to limit the more " gassy "

foods. Since there is such a controversy about whether or not soy is healthy, we

limit that as well from a " better safe than sorry " standpoint. Besides, I really

don't like tofu. I'm thinking that the reason we're hungry all the time is

because animal protein takes longer to digest and, therefore, keeps us feeling

satisfied for a longer period of time. Vegetables, however, digest more easily

and rapidly, leaving a gastric void resulting in hunger. So it seems that we

will have to deal with this incessant hunger for a while until our bodies

acclimate to the change.

The disgust you feel at the thought of ingesting animal protein was a wonderful

motivator for you to change your eating habits; for me it's my health. The

thought of leaving my children orphaned or making my husband a widower is a very

powerful motivator for me. Less dramatic would be that I want a better quality

of life, not only for me but also for my family, devoid of dependency upon

medical facilities and prescriptions. So whatever the reason an individual

arrives at veganism, the important point is that we are making an effort to

clean up our little green and blue world. Veganism is inarguably a better

lifestyle choice from both an ecological and health perspective. I think this

group is wonderful for its diversity and deliberate thought. I'm delighted to be

a part of it. :)

Katie

, " sprightcat " <sprightcat wrote:

>

> I guess i am confused, as to you having cravings and being hungry. What is teh

reason you have gone vegan? I have gone vegan because I do not want to eat

beach diet to lose a few lbs and you need a cookie. What you are starting out on

willpower, it is a matter almost of mental strength. Do you want to hold fast to

challenge. There are so many " cheese " substitutes out there, have you tried any?

rarely even think about it now, because when i missed it, i simply thought about

> as far being full, it is honestly no different than starting any diet...look

> take a head of broc,a head of cali and blanch in boiling water for 1 minute.

> stay strong and think about why you are making this choice. That is what will

stop your cravings.

> www.vegweb.com is the most incredible vegan site. I love it. try some of the

> didn't mean to be mean, just wanted to be realistic. Good luck on your journey

>

> , bantrymoon <bantrymoon@> wrote:

> >

> > >>>> It's like a craving that we can't quite place so we just keep

> > cravings? <<<<

> >

> > I went through that as well. I used to eat cheese when I felt a bit

> > hungry, and when I went vegan I would feel undefined cravings. I don't

> > anymore, and I don't recall when it stopped, so I assume it's a

> > transitional feeling.

> >

> > I did find some quick bites to help with afternoon hunger. I love veggie

> > cold cuts and hot dogs, I'd grab a few slices or eat one hot dog. It

> > would fill me up pretty well until dinner. I also found that eating a

> > piece of fruit at the end of the school day (I'm a teacher) gives me a

> > good boost.

> >

> > Cheers,

> >

> > --

> > Trish Carr

> > http://home.comcast.net/~bantrymoon/

> >

>

Guest guest

At 10:17 PM +0000 2/7/10, Katie wrote:

>...Since there is such a controversy about whether or not soy

is healthy, we limit that as well from a " better safe than sorry "

standpoint. ...

>>

Here's an excellent article that addresses " concerns "

that have been raised about soy.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl/april/050400pusoy.htm

Soy - Food, Wonder Drug, or Poison?

by John McDougall

Guest guest

Hi everyone, I'm new. I'm a vegetarian wanting to become a vegan. But this

question jumped right out at me because I've been trying to slowing eat less

carbs and sugar but find the cravings worse. Cyn, you mentioned you had the same

thing but how did you cure it?

Jackie

, " cyn " <cyn84074 wrote:

>

> Wait!! I know this!! I know exactly what it is! When I had had enough of a

> Cyn

> Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T

>

>

> Blue Rose <bluerose156

> Fri, 5 Feb 2010 09:25:13

>

> Re: Re: Please help with cravings

>

> If I ate that much, I'd be stuffed. Seriously.

>

> I'm guessing it's as psychological thing, and you're missing what you

> consider to be " comfort food " based upon what you used to eat, but cut out.

> Find one or two things you miss and see if you can eat their vegan

> equivalents.

>

> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Katie <greenrootsmama wrote:

>

> > Jo

> >

> > Hmmm, well, a typical day lately would be something like this:

> >

> > breakfast: oatmeal with maple syrup and cinnamon

> > morning snack: popcorn with sea salt and nutritional yeast

> > lunch: pita stuffed with lettuce, carrots, cucumber, tomato, onion, alfalfa

> > sprouts, avocado, sunflower seeds, spicy mustard and almond milk mayo

> > afternoon snack: apple with peanut butter

> > dinner: vegan chili

> > evening snack: tostada with vegetarian refried beans, guacamole, lettuce,

> > onions, tomato and salsa

> >

> > I quit smoking about 5 years ago and had cravings for a long time and still

> > do on occasion. So maybe this is like that. I have been accustomed to

> > consuming all of this unhealthy junk and now I have to " relearn " how to

> > function on good, nutritious food. So it may be that it's a habit that I'm

> > trying to break and thus the cravings are a result of the synapses firing

> > off from the old neuron path.

> >

> > Katie

> >

> > , " heartwerk " <jo.heartwork@> wrote:

> > >

> > > Hi Katie

> > >

> > > I've never heard of any of my friends/relatives feeling like that. Are

> > you eating enough of the filling foods, i.e. beans, lentils, nuts, rice,

> > tofu. What type of meals are you eating now?

> > >

> > > Jo

> > >

> > > , " Katie " <greenrootsmama@> wrote:

> > > >

> > > > My family and I have been doing the vegan thing for a few weeks now and

> > although the first week was awesome, we are finding ourselves hungry all the

> > time now. It's like a craving that we can't quite place so we just keep

> > cravings?

> > > >

> > > > Katie

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > ---

> >

> > To send an email to -!

> > Groups Links

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

>

> --

> AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156

> http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com

> http://timeladydesigns.etsy.com

> ~

> Boston_Gothic

> Boston_Mystic

> Boston-Pagans

>

Guest guest

Hi

It could be that you feel cravings not because of any lack of any food item but

simply because you consider your new eating style as a diet, to lose weight etc.

Your mind probably is feeling deprived because of this. I would guess that you

cannot actually be hungry from what you said you eat every day, which is

probably about double what I eat.

Jo

>

> I did not choose veganism because I felt any particular guilt about consuming

animal flesh. I am, however, positively revolted by the treatment of the animals

in the mass-producing meat industry. Rather, I chose veganism to improve my

health and the health of my family (we are a little overweight and my husband

had high blood pressure). I am breastfeeding so I try to limit the more " gassy "

foods. Since there is such a controversy about whether or not soy is healthy, we

limit that as well from a " better safe than sorry " standpoint. Besides, I really

don't like tofu. I'm thinking that the reason we're hungry all the time is

because animal protein takes longer to digest and, therefore, keeps us feeling

satisfied for a longer period of time. Vegetables, however, digest more easily

and rapidly, leaving a gastric void resulting in hunger. So it seems that we

will have to deal with this incessant hunger for a while until our bodies

acclimate to the change.

>

> The disgust you feel at the thought of ingesting animal protein was a

wonderful motivator for you to change your eating habits; for me it's my health.

The thought of leaving my children orphaned or making my husband a widower is a

very powerful motivator for me. Less dramatic would be that I want a better

quality of life, not only for me but also for my family, devoid of dependency

upon medical facilities and prescriptions. So whatever the reason an individual

arrives at veganism, the important point is that we are making an effort to

clean up our little green and blue world. Veganism is inarguably a better

lifestyle choice from both an ecological and health perspective. I think this

group is wonderful for its diversity and deliberate thought. I'm delighted to be

a part of it. :)

>

> Katie

>

> , " sprightcat " <sprightcat@> wrote:

> >

> > I guess i am confused, as to you having cravings and being hungry. What is

teh reason you have gone vegan? I have gone vegan because I do not want to eat

> > as far being full, it is honestly no different than starting any diet...look

> > take a head of broc,a head of cali and blanch in boiling water for 1 minute.

> > stay strong and think about why you are making this choice. That is what

will stop your cravings.

> > www.vegweb.com is the most incredible vegan site. I love it. try some of the

> > didn't mean to be mean, just wanted to be realistic. Good luck on your

journey

> >

> > , bantrymoon <bantrymoon@> wrote:

> > >

> > > >>>> It's like a craving that we can't quite place so we just keep

> > > eating hoping that just being " full " will help. Do any of you have any

> > > insight as to how long this will last? How about any tips to satisfy the

> > > cravings? <<<<

> > >

> > > I went through that as well. I used to eat cheese when I felt a bit

> > > hungry, and when I went vegan I would feel undefined cravings. I don't

> > > anymore, and I don't recall when it stopped, so I assume it's a

> > > transitional feeling.

> > >

> > > I did find some quick bites to help with afternoon hunger. I love veggie

> > > cold cuts and hot dogs, I'd grab a few slices or eat one hot dog. It

> > > would fill me up pretty well until dinner. I also found that eating a

> > > piece of fruit at the end of the school day (I'm a teacher) gives me a

> > > good boost.

> > >

> > > Cheers,

> > >

> > > --

> > > Trish Carr

> > > http://home.comcast.net/~bantrymoon/

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Hi Jackie

Welcome to the group.

Why are you trying to cut down on carbohydrates? Complex carbohydrates are good

for you and keep you feeling full.

Jo

, " bcoffthegrid " <jttranscripts wrote:

>

> Hi everyone, I'm new. I'm a vegetarian wanting to become a vegan. But this

question jumped right out at me because I've been trying to slowing eat less

carbs and sugar but find the cravings worse. Cyn, you mentioned you had the same

thing but how did you cure it?

>

> Jackie

>

> , " cyn " <cyn84074@> wrote:

> >

> > Wait!! I know this!! I know exactly what it is! When I had had enough of a

> > Cyn

> > Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T

> >

> >

> > Blue Rose <bluerose156@>

> > Fri, 5 Feb 2010 09:25:13

> >

> > Re: Re: Please help with cravings

> >

> > If I ate that much, I'd be stuffed. Seriously.

> >

> > I'm guessing it's as psychological thing, and you're missing what you

> > consider to be " comfort food " based upon what you used to eat, but cut out.

> > Find one or two things you miss and see if you can eat their vegan

> > equivalents.

> >

> > On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Katie <greenrootsmama@> wrote:

> >

> > > Jo

> > >

> > > Hmmm, well, a typical day lately would be something like this:

> > >

> > > breakfast: oatmeal with maple syrup and cinnamon

> > > morning snack: popcorn with sea salt and nutritional yeast

> > > lunch: pita stuffed with lettuce, carrots, cucumber, tomato, onion,

alfalfa

> > > sprouts, avocado, sunflower seeds, spicy mustard and almond milk mayo

> > > afternoon snack: apple with peanut butter

> > > dinner: vegan chili

> > > evening snack: tostada with vegetarian refried beans, guacamole, lettuce,

> > > onions, tomato and salsa

> > >

> > > I quit smoking about 5 years ago and had cravings for a long time and

still

> > > do on occasion. So maybe this is like that. I have been accustomed to

> > > consuming all of this unhealthy junk and now I have to " relearn " how to

> > > function on good, nutritious food. So it may be that it's a habit that I'm

> > > trying to break and thus the cravings are a result of the synapses firing

> > > off from the old neuron path.

> > >

> > > Katie

> > >

> > > , " heartwerk " <jo.heartwork@> wrote:

> > > >

> > > > Hi Katie

> > > >

> > > > I've never heard of any of my friends/relatives feeling like that. Are

> > > you eating enough of the filling foods, i.e. beans, lentils, nuts, rice,

> > > tofu. What type of meals are you eating now?

> > > >

> > > > Jo

> > > >

> > > > , " Katie " <greenrootsmama@> wrote:

> > > > >

> > > > > My family and I have been doing the vegan thing for a few weeks now

and

> > > although the first week was awesome, we are finding ourselves hungry all

the

> > > time now. It's like a craving that we can't quite place so we just keep

> > > eating hoping that just being " full " will help. Do any of you have any

> > > cravings?

> > > > >

> > > > > Katie

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > ---

> > >

> > > To send an email to -@!

> > > Groups Links

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

> > --

> > AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156

> > http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com

> > http://timeladydesigns.etsy.com

> > ~

> > Boston_Gothic

> > Boston_Mystic

> > Boston-Pagans

> >

>

Guest guest

bantrymoon wrote:

" It's like a craving that we can't quite place so we just keep eating hoping

that just being " full " will help. Do any of you have any insight as to how long

this will last? How about any tips to satisfy the cravings? "

Trish, I think cravings sometimes occur from real body hunger for certain

nutrients. Other times they may occur from some addictive processes see the

video " How to Magnetize a Baby " http://bit.ly/19R2RU

Also, if the body is experience a real nutrient hunger, and the person believes

they are eating foods they think contain the necesary nutrients. The issue me be

an issue in that person's digestive system. The food may not be adequately

broken down in stomach and/or small intestines. Sometimes that maybe from issues

with injury to the stomach and/or small intestines, especially the small

intestines. It may be important to note that our intestines are nurished by a

blood supply, just like other organs, such as our heart and brain. And if blood

supply is impaired to a section of a part of the small intestine, that part of

the small intestine may not be able to produce the enzymes or absorbe the

nutrients in food that passes by it. That might be kind of like a stroke of

intestines. And the more strokes to the intestines, the less cabable it is to do

it's job, even the peristalsis, which moves the food through the intestines and

ultimately crapping it out.

The good news is that our bodies have amazing abilities to rejuvinate. And as we

clear our circulatory system of plaque, parasites, and cholesterol. the blood is

able to reach more of the cells and feed those cells with oxygen and other

nutrients they need for repair and remove damaged cells and bits as needed. And

as the small intestine ciruculation system improves, it seems they are able to

more adequately furnish enzymes and perastalsis for proper digestion.

In the mean time, I have found green smoothies, and full spectrum, vegan, enzyme

supplement have been very valuable in supporting the digestion, if the digestive

track has some impairments like that. And may even want to consider

supplementing with a morning (and as desired all day) green smoothie and enzyme

supplements. You may find that craving seem to miraculously disappear. You may

want to talk to your GP and discuss this for your particular situation and see

if it is appropriate for you. There are some good vegan GP's that may be worth

consulting.

Best wishes

Thanks,

Michael

Los Angeles Living Foods

LosAngelesLivingFoods

http://twitter.com/LALiveFoods

Guest guest

Hi-

Oh, dear. I'm about to ask anyone on the list who has never suffered from this, who "keeps themselves in shape", who never had problems with eating the wrong types of foods, and who doubts that sugars and caffeine and white flour are not as addicting as crack, for example, to go to the bathroom or something while I say this. I love all of you but in this, FOR MYSELF, I am an expert. People who tell me that it's not a big deal, that I should "just" eat right and exercise, well, don't bother.

When I decided that being overweight and eating the wrong things was going to stop, I transferred to a VERY HEALTHY diet and then...the cravings began. I couldn't go to the mall, because the food court had smells that would send me drooling, trembling, shaking, and craving to the car. I couldn't go to the movies because, well, popcorn. I couldn't go to a restaurant, because, well... you get the idea.

I am so sorry, but the only way through this was THROUGH THIS. I eventually "went to the mattresses" (as my Italian friends explained was a Mafia thing), stayed home, hunkered down, and waited, sweated, and toughed it out. Work, home, work, home, etc. My nutritionist told me that if I could make it through 2 weeks, the cravings would die down IF I DID NOT PUT ANY OF THESE FOODS IN MY MOUTH. Otherwise, the cravings would continue, and if I went off these foods, and then back on them at a later date, the cravings would be WORSE. Just like drug addiction.

Then, after 2 weeks (FOR ME), the cravings died down. They never go completely away.

It gets easier. But I also want to say that support from people who understand what this is like, who are not judgmental, and who will accept a phone call from a person in the middle of the night are critical.

Wanna know the worst part? For ME? I have been fighting various types of cancer for 23 years. Well, the cancer, of course, just came back. (It's genetic, whole family.) What did I do first? Of course...sugary foods, high carboydrate sugary foods, cram everything down my throat that I could lay hands on.

Now, I have to do the mattress thing again.

If I could last it out, anyone can. Do what works for you.

Cyn

In a message dated 2/7/2010 11:59:03 P.M. Mountain Standard Time, jttranscripts writes:

Hi everyone, I'm new. I'm a vegetarian wanting to become a vegan. But this question jumped right out at me because I've been trying to slowing eat less carbs and sugar but find the cravings worse. Cyn, you mentioned you had the same thing but how did you cure it?Jackie , "cyn" <cyn84074 wrote:>> Wait!! I know this!! I know exactly what it is! When I had had enough of a high sugar, high carbohydrate, high caffeine diet, I made the diet lifestyle change to healthy food and the CRAVINGS ALMOST KILLED ME. YES! I know it's TERRIBLE to get off sugar and/or carbohydrates. I was even dreaming at night about sugary food! Just like coming off heroin. I considered hiding at home until the cravings passed. I'm still trying to re-acquire the little sanity I lost during that period....> Cyn> Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T> > > Blue Rose <bluerose156> Fri, 5 Feb 2010 09:25:13 > > Re: Re: Please help with cravings> > If I ate that much, I'd be stuffed. Seriously.> > I'm guessing it's as psychological thing, and you're missing what you> consider to be "comfort food" based upon what you used to eat, but cut out.> Find one or two things you miss and see if you can eat their vegan> equivalents.> > On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Katie <greenrootsmama wrote:> > > Jo> >> > Hmmm, well, a typical day lately would be something like this:> >> > breakfast: oatmeal with maple syrup and cinnamon> > morning snack: popcorn with sea salt and nutritional yeast> > lunch: pita stuffed with lettuce, carrots, cucumber, tomato, onion, alfalfa> > sprouts, avocado, sunflower seeds, spicy mustard and almond milk mayo> > afternoon snack: apple with peanut butter> > dinner: vegan chili> > evening snack: tostada with vegetarian refried beans, guacamole, lettuce,> > onions, tomato and salsa> >> > I quit smoking about 5 years ago and had cravings for a long time and still> > do on occasion. So maybe this is like that. I have been accustomed to> > consuming all of this unhealthy junk and now I have to "relearn" how to> > function on good, nutritious food. So it may be that it's a habit that I'm> > trying to break and thus the cravings are a result of the synapses firing> > off from the old neuron path.> >> > Katie> >> > , "heartwerk" <jo.heartwork@> wrote:> > >> > > Hi Katie> > >> > > I've never heard of any of my friends/relatives feeling like that. Are> > you eating enough of the filling foods, i.e. beans, lentils, nuts, rice,> > tofu. What type of meals are you eating now?> > >> > > Jo> > >> > > , "Katie" <greenrootsmama@> wrote:> > > >> > > > My family and I have been doing the vegan thing for a few weeks now and> > although the first week was awesome, we are finding ourselves hungry all the> > time now. It's like a craving that we can't quite place so we just keep> > eating hoping that just being "full" will help. Do any of you have any> > insight as to how long this will last? How about any tips to satisfy the> > cravings?> > > >> > > > Katie> > > >> > >> >> >> >> >> > ---> >> > To send an email to -!> > Groups Links> >> >> >> >> > > -- > AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156> http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com> http://timeladydesigns.etsy.com> ~> Boston_Gothic> Boston_Mystic> Boston-Pagans>

Guest guest

Hia Jackie,I agree with Jo. Not only are they good for you, but when you cut carbs too much you are starving your body. Carbs are necessary for keeping your body including and most importantly your brain functioning at it's best. If your diet lacks enough carbs your not going to be performing as well on an intellectual level as you might if your body is getting the right amount. Your diet shouldn't focus on cutting carbs, but on getting enough balance to ensure that your body feels full with an amount of food that is not exorbitant. Good luck,Sarahheartwerk <jo.heartwork Sent: Mon, February 8, 2010 1:56:55 AM Re: Please help with cravings

Hi Jackie

Welcome to the group.

Why are you trying to cut down on carbohydrates? Complex carbohydrates are good for you and keep you feeling full.

Jo

@gro ups.com, "bcoffthegrid" <jttranscripts@ ...> wrote:

>

> Hi everyone, I'm new. I'm a vegetarian wanting to become a vegan. But this question jumped right out at me because I've been trying to slowing eat less carbs and sugar but find the cravings worse. Cyn, you mentioned you had the same thing but how did you cure it?

>

> Jackie

>

> @gro ups.com, "cyn" <cyn84074@> wrote:

> >

> > Wait!! I know this!! I know exactly what it is! When I had had enough of a high sugar, high carbohydrate, high caffeine diet, I made the diet lifestyle change to healthy food and the CRAVINGS ALMOST KILLED ME. YES! I know it's TERRIBLE to get off sugar and/or carbohydrates. I was even dreaming at night about sugary food! Just like coming off heroin. I considered hiding at home until the cravings passed. I'm still trying to re-acquire the little sanity I lost during that period....

> > Cyn

> > Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T

> >

> >

> > Blue Rose <bluerose156@ >

> > Fri, 5 Feb 2010 09:25:13

> > <@gro ups.com>

> > Re: Re: Please help with cravings

> >

> > If I ate that much, I'd be stuffed. Seriously.

> >

> > I'm guessing it's as psychological thing, and you're missing what you

> > consider to be "comfort food" based upon what you used to eat, but cut out.

> > Find one or two things you miss and see if you can eat their vegan

> > equivalents.

> >

> > On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Katie <greenrootsmama@ > wrote:

> >

> > > Jo

> > >

> > > Hmmm, well, a typical day lately would be something like this:

> > >

> > > breakfast: oatmeal with maple syrup and cinnamon

> > > morning snack: popcorn with sea salt and nutritional yeast

> > > lunch: pita stuffed with lettuce, carrots, cucumber, tomato, onion, alfalfa

> > > sprouts, avocado, sunflower seeds, spicy mustard and almond milk mayo

> > > afternoon snack: apple with peanut butter

> > > dinner: vegan chili

> > > evening snack: tostada with vegetarian refried beans, guacamole, lettuce,

> > > onions, tomato and salsa

> > >

> > > I quit smoking about 5 years ago and had cravings for a long time and still

> > > do on occasion. So maybe this is like that. I have been accustomed to

> > > consuming all of this unhealthy junk and now I have to "relearn" how to

> > > function on good, nutritious food. So it may be that it's a habit that I'm

> > > trying to break and thus the cravings are a result of the synapses firing

> > > off from the old neuron path.

> > >

> > > Katie

> > >

> > > @gro ups.com, "heartwerk" <jo.heartwork@ > wrote:

> > > >

> > > > Hi Katie

> > > >

> > > > I've never heard of any of my friends/relatives feeling like that. Are

> > > you eating enough of the filling foods, i.e. beans, lentils, nuts, rice,

> > > tofu. What type of meals are you eating now?

> > > >

> > > > Jo

> > > >

> > > > @gro ups.com, "Katie" <greenrootsmama@ > wrote:

> > > > >

> > > > > My family and I have been doing the vegan thing for a few weeks now and

> > > although the first week was awesome, we are finding ourselves hungry all the

> > > time now. It's like a craving that we can't quite place so we just keep

> > > eating hoping that just being "full" will help. Do any of you have any

> > > cravings?

> > > > >

> > > > > Katie

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > ------------ --------- --------- ------

> > >

> > > To send an email to -unsubscr ibe@!

> > > Groups Links

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

> > --

> > AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156

> > http://x-bluerose- x.livejournal. com

> > http://timeladydesi gns.etsy. com

> > ~