IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Hi I am new to this

Rate this topic

Guest guest

hi my name is katie

I have read tons on the benefits of being a Vegan both to ones health and to the

ever crumbling environment, but not eating meat is new to me. my dad is

southern born and even deep fries his broccoli. :P I have never had a meal

that did not contain some sort of meat or cheese.

well my nutritionist said that if I don't drop 65 LBS I am going to be insulin

dependent in a year, and she was telling me about going vegan as a heath

benefit.

I am Wiccan and love the earth as a mother and want to help end the suffering of

all on her. so doing this will not be hared for me. I would love the name of

cook books I could get to help get on board.

thank you

katie )O(

Guest guest

My favorite cookbook is veganomicon. I also like all of dreena burton's books. Good luck on transitioning to a vegan diet! Its important to remember why you are vegan, because every once in a while you'll miss "regular" food. Let us know if you have questions or need help with anything- that's what this group is for!!!Sent via BlackBerry by AT&Tkatie scott Sat, 21 Mar 2009 00:30:28 -0700 (PDT) Hi I am new to this hi my name is katie I have read tons on the benefits of being a Vegan both to ones health and to the ever crumbling environment, but not eating meat is new to me. my dad is southern born and even deep fries his broccoli. :P I have never had a meal that did not contain some sort of meat or cheese. well my nutritionist said that if I don't drop 65 LBS I am going to be insulin dependent in a year, and she was telling me about going vegan as a heath benefit. I am Wiccan and love the earth as a mother and want to help end the suffering of all on her. so doing this will not be hared for me. I would love the name of cook books I could get to help get on board. thank you katie )O(

Guest guest

Hi Katie, welcome, How about trying the 'skinny bitch' books, they are

hard-hitting and have a book on veganism/health benefits and a recipe book. They

are punchy and very poisitve!

Once you start looking into meat/diary alternatives -cooking and eating gets

very exciting, and knowing it is good for you and the planet, is such a buzz.

Another book I use alot is 'vegan with a vengeance' another USA book, so

ingrediants etc should be familiar. (being British I had to do a bit of

research!!) So, go girl and good luck.

Guest guest

Hi Katie

Welcome to Vegan Chat - I hope you'll like it here.

I am a Pagan too :-)

Jo

-

katie scott

Saturday, March 21, 2009 7:30 AM

Hi I am new to this

hi my name is katieI have read tons on the benefits of being a Vegan both to ones health and to the ever crumbling environment, but not eating meat is new to me. my dad is southern born and even deep fries his broccoli. :P I have never had a meal that did not contain some sort of meat or cheese.well my nutritionist said that if I don't drop 65 LBS I am going to be insulin dependent in a year, and she was telling me about going vegan as a heath benefit.I am Wiccan and love the earth as a mother and want to help end the suffering of all on her. so doing this will not be hared for me. I would love the name of cook books I could get to help get on board.thank youkatie )O(

Guest guest

Hi, Katie! Welcome to the group! I studied Wicca for years! I'm Catholic, now.

But, still cool with it.(It's a Mary thing!) Anyway, Happy Equinox (Ostara)!

Bill- in Utah

, katie scott <east_watch wrote:

>

>

> hi my name is katie

>

> I have read tons on the benefits of being a Vegan both to ones health and to

the ever crumbling environment, but not eating meat is new to me. my dad is

>

> well my nutritionist said that if I don't drop 65 LBS I am going to be insulin

benefit.

>

> I am Wiccan and love the earth as a mother and want to help end the suffering

of all on her. so doing this will not be hared for me. I would love the name

of cook books I could get to help get on board.

>

> thank you

>

> katie )O(

>

Guest guest

Katie,

Many vegan authors have some recipes online, so you can browse

and see which ones appeal to you most. I'd recommend anything by the

McDougalls or by Jennifer Raymond as a first vegan cookbook, and then

supplement it with others if needed.

Dr. John McDougall has a book specifically on weight loss, with

recipes by Mary McDougall. They have also co-authored other books,

many of which address basics such as outfitting a vegan kitchen, and

cooking basic dishes. He talks about the concept of " feast foods "

such as nuts, tofu, and other high-fat vegan foods, which are to be

used sparingly if you're dealing with health issues. You can find lots

of recipes in their monthly newsletters, archived at

http://www.drmcdougall.com/

A ton of recipes that follow their guidelines are at

McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program Recipes from Fatfree Vegan

Recipes archive

http://www.fatfreevegan.com/mwl/index.shtml

(though the recipes come from hundreds of individuals, not from

the McDougalls). I think this is a great resource if you have

some ingredients on hand and are looking for ideas.

I like Jennifer Raymond's books because the recipes have mostly

easy-to-find ingredients. She wrote The Peaceful Palate and Fat-Free

and Easy, and her recipes appear in several books by others. Some of

her recipes are at

http://www.healthyeatingseries.com/recipes.html

She's a nutritionist as well as a cook, and also talks

about vegan nutrition and setting up a vegan kitchen in her

books.

I also like Vegan with a Vengeance and Veganomicon. Some of the

recipes are online at

http://www.theppk.com/

And I like Dreena Burton's books as well. She has a lot of

gluten-free recipes. Some recipes are online at

http://vivelevegan.blogspot.com/

Guest guest

You wrote:Hi Katie, welcome, How about trying the 'skinny bitch' books, they are hard-hitting and have a book on veganism/health benefits and a recipe book. They are punchy and very poisitve! Me:Funny you should mention them! I already had a "plan" to stop eating meat. I was going to add one more day without meat every month until we were meat free. Then I read the "Skinny Bitch" book. I read a good chunk of it, made dinner (which consisted of meat), then read the rest after dinner. So I ate, then I read the chapter pertaining to slaughterhouses and factory farms. I literally sat there sobbing and choking back vomit. I finished that section, snapped the book shut and announced to my husband that I was done with meat. That he could eat whatever he wanted but no dead animal would cross my lips again. I did some more research on how to make sure you're eating a balanced diet without dead animals and where animal products are "hidden." I was shocked at how many things that would seem to be animal free actually aren't! On one hand, no more cool ranch Doritos. OTOH, not eating them is far better for me and I've lost some weight already. Anyhow, the "Skinny Bitch in the Kitch" book is a nice starter book. That was my first vegan cookbook and I've enjoyed many of the recipes in there. For the most part, they are pretty quick and easy and I've been able to find most of the ingredients quite easily in my meat-centric town. As someone else mentioned, Veganomicon is great, too. That was my second vegan cookbook. And I love the humor used in both! Vegetarian Times has a cookbook that isn't purely vegan, but most recipes that aren't can be altered. I've found some great recipes in there. I thought that without meat, we'd be eating the same things over and over and over. Not so. Our diet has had so much more variety than it ever did before! And I like squash - who knew?! Still learning to like eggplant. I'm not sure about it. But I'm treating myself like a toddler - they say that a toddler needs 10 exposures to a new food before s/he will accept it. So I'll keep trying! It worked with tomatoes (never liked them, oddly enough, but now I do). I love cookbooks so I'm reading what all of you think about different books - I'll have to add them to my growing collection of vegan cookbooks. Missie Harholdand Gracie the Ibizan Houndand Jeanie the Greyhoundgreyhounddog“Because nothing worthwhile in this country has ever happened unless somebody, somewhere stood up when it was hard; stood up when they were told – no you can’t, and said yes we can.” Barack Obama

Guest guest

VCON is also my favorite cookbook, but a very close 2nd place is Vegan with a Vengeance and Vegan Express..

"4lilpups" <4lilpups Sent: Saturday, March 21, 2009 10:50:26 AMRe: Hi I am new to this

My favorite cookbook is veganomicon.. I also like all of dreena burton's books. Good luck on transitioning to a vegan diet! Its important to remember why you are vegan, because every once in a while you'll miss "regular" food. Let us know if you have questions or need help with anything- that's what this group is for!!! Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T

katie scott Sat, 21 Mar 2009 00:30:28 -0700 (PDT)<@gro ups.com> Hi I am new to this

hi my name is katieI have read tons on the benefits of being a Vegan both to ones health and to the ever crumbling environment, but not eating meat is new to me. my dad is southern born and even deep fries his broccoli. :P I have never had a meal that did not contain some sort of meat or cheese.well my nutritionist said that if I don't drop 65 LBS I am going to be insulin dependent in a year, and she was telling me about going vegan as a heath benefit.I am Wiccan and love the earth as a mother and want to help end the suffering of all on her. so doing this will not be hared for me. I would love the name of cook books I could get to help get on board.thank youkatie )O(

Guest guest

HI Katie

Do you live with your parents? Hopefully when they realise that your doctor has

told you this they will make it easier for you.

I think a vegan diet is definitely the way to go to lose weight and gain health

- although you don't necessarily lose weight just by being vegan. If you choose

the right foods - veggies, fruit, beans, lentils and some nuts and tofu, you can

lose weight.

Good luck

Jo

>

>

> hi my name is katie

>

> I have read tons on the benefits of being a Vegan both to ones health and to

>

> well my nutritionist said that if I don't drop 65 LBS I am going to be insulin

benefit.

>

> I am Wiccan and love the earth as a mother and want to help end the suffering

of all on her. so doing this will not be hared for me. I would love the name

of cook books I could get to help get on board.

>

> thank you

>

> katie )O(

>

Guest guest

no I am 28 and have two kids with the love of my life.

we have started by replacing one meal a day with a veggie meal, so far so good

even if there is a bit of grumbling.

hoping next week to expand to snack time.

katie )O(

Guest guest

Katie

Was just wondering. How old are your kids. Mine were very young when they decided on meat. At two, my son yelled out that he wanted meat!!!!!!!!! Are you enjoying the Vegan Chat? Jerrold--- On Tue, 3/24/09, katie scott <east_watch wrote:

katie scott <east_watch Re: Hi I am new to this Date: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 2:01 PM

no I am 28 and have two kids with the love of my life.we have started by replacing one meal a day with a veggie meal, so far so good even if there is a bit of grumbling. hoping next week to expand to snack time.katie )O(

Guest guest

Hi Jo

I agree with you about the diet, however it takes willpower and dedication. What do you do when you go out and there is nothing you can find to eat? Jerrold--- On Mon, 3/23/09, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

heartwerk <jo.heartwork Re: Hi I am new to this Date: Monday, March 23, 2009, 3:45 AM

HI KatieDo you live with your parents? Hopefully when they realise that your doctor has told you this they will make it easier for you.I think a vegan diet is definitely the way to go to lose weight and gain health - although you don't necessarily lose weight just by being vegan. If you choose the right foods - veggies, fruit, beans, lentils and some nuts and tofu, you can lose weight.Good luckJo@gro ups.com, katie scott <east_watch@ ...> wrote:>> > hi my name is katie> > I have read tons on the benefits of being a Vegan both to ones health and to the ever crumbling environment, but not eating meat is new to me. my dad is southern born and even deep fries his broccoli. :P I have never had a meal that did not contain some sort of meat or cheese.> > well my

nutritionist said that if I don't drop 65 LBS I am going to be insulin dependent in a year, and she was telling me about going vegan as a heath benefit.> > I am Wiccan and love the earth as a mother and want to help end the suffering of all on her. so doing this will not be hared for me. I would love the name of cook books I could get to help get on board.> > thank you> > katie )O(>

Guest guest

It does take willpower. Eating out can be difficult. Sometimes the only things

a vegan can eat are plain jacket potato or salad!

Jo

, Jerrrold Fuller <cocopuffs771 wrote:

>

> Hi Jo

>  

> I agree with you about the diet, however it takes willpower and dedication. 

What do you do when you go out and there is nothing you can find to eat?  

Jerrold

>

> --- On Mon, 3/23/09, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

>

> heartwerk <jo.heartwork

> Re: Hi I am new to this

>

> Monday, March 23, 2009, 3:45 AM

HI Katie

>

> Do you live with your parents? Hopefully when they realise that your doctor

has told you this they will make it easier for you.

>

> I think a vegan diet is definitely the way to go to lose weight and gain

health - although you don't necessarily lose weight just by being vegan. If you

choose the right foods - veggies, fruit, beans, lentils and some nuts and tofu,

you can lose weight.

>

> Good luck

>

> Jo

>

> @gro ups.com, katie scott <east_watch@ ...> wrote:

> >

> >

> > hi my name is katie

> >

> > I have read tons on the benefits of being a Vegan both to ones health and to

southern born and even deep fries his broccoli. :P I have never had a meal that

did not contain some sort of meat or cheese.

> >

> > well my nutritionist said that if I don't drop 65 LBS I am going to be

insulin dependent in a year, and she was telling me about going vegan as a heath

benefit.

> >

> > I am Wiccan and love the earth as a mother and want to help end the

suffering of all on her. so doing this will not be hared for me. I would love

the name of cook books I could get to help get on board.

> >

> > thank you

> >

> > katie )O(

> >

>

Guest guest

Hi my kids are 5 and 19 months, and my husband is not a vegan and I will not

forces him to be. I like him just the way he is.

Bill I think I have a word for you it is used up here to distinguish the fake

witchy Goths from the rest of the Wiccans around here. " whoopee " vegan. this

handy word can be put on any person that is fake or is doing the action to get

attention or is phasing.

feel free to pass it around. :D

katie )O(

Bill wrought

" There is a stigma attached to the word " vegan " here in Utah. It seems the the

Mormon youth have taken it to the extreme; calling themselves 'straightedgers'

and acting more like skinhead punks. Beating people up for eating meat and

damaging peoples property and setting the minks free and stuff. Don't get me

wrong, I love the sex pistols and the ramones,et al..., and I am very much an

animal welfare advocate. But, the wannabe gangsta/Peta/ Greenpeace people have

made us appear like anarchists and terrorists in the local governments eyes.

Bill- in Utah

If it runs away from you because it doesn't want to die and has a mommy,... I

don't want to eat it. "

Guest guest

I think maybe 'witchy Goths' are 'witchy Goths' not fake anything!

Jo

-

katie scott

Saturday, March 28, 2009 6:35 PM

Re: Hi I am new to this

Hi my kids are 5 and 19 months, and my husband is not a vegan and I will not forces him to be. I like him just the way he is.Bill I think I have a word for you it is used up here to distinguish the fake witchy Goths from the rest of the Wiccans around here. "whoopee" vegan. this handy word can be put on any person that is fake or is doing the action to get attention or is phasing.feel free to pass it around. :Dkatie )O(Bill wrought"There is a stigma attached to the word "vegan" here in Utah. It seems the the Mormon youth have taken it to the extreme; calling themselves 'straightedgers' and acting more like skinhead punks. Beating people up for eating meat and damaging peoples property and setting the minks free and stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love the sex pistols and the ramones,et al..., and I am very much an animal welfare advocate. But, the wannabe gangsta/Peta/ Greenpeace people have made us appear like anarchists and terrorists in the local governments eyes.Bill- in UtahIf it runs away from you because it doesn't want to die and has a mommy,... I don't want to eat it."

Guest guest

I went Vegan on Feb 1st - and agree it is the way to go. HOWEVER - I guess my body is just not ready to release the weight. I lost 5 lbs and am just holding steady now. I would like to lose 30 to 35 lbs. and hope it will still come.

I ate healthy before this switch and my main change is forgoing my (beloved -LOL) 2 oz of cheese per week and caffeine and alcohol. (more a cholesterol lowering attempt than part of my Vegan change, obviously). The only other thing I really changed was now omitting the very small amount of non-fat milk I used to drink.

And yes, I exercise. a lot.

I've had nutritionists review my food journal (tho I haven't kept one for the last few mos) and the comment always is to eat more. But I feel I'm eating all the time - and plenty! I'm not hungry for goodness sake.

anyhow - I hope you are right and the weight loss will come. I'm ready to release it (the excess weight) now just need my body to agree and cooperate!

sandy--- On Thu, 3/26/09, Jerrrold Fuller <cocopuffs771 wrote:

Jerrrold Fuller <cocopuffs771Re: Re: Hi I am new to this Date: Thursday, March 26, 2009, 8:44 AM

Hi Jo

I agree with you about the diet, however it takes willpower and dedication. What do you do when you go out and there is nothing you can find to eat? Jerrold--- On Mon, 3/23/09, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

heartwerk <jo.heartwork Re: Hi I am new to this Date: Monday, March 23, 2009, 3:45 AM

HI KatieDo you live with your parents? Hopefully when they realise that your doctor has told you this they will make it easier for you.I think a vegan diet is definitely the way to go to lose weight and gain health - although you don't necessarily lose weight just by being vegan. If you choose the right foods - veggies, fruit, beans, lentils and some nuts and tofu, you can lose weight.Good luckJo@gro ups.com, katie scott <east_watch@ ...> wrote:>> > hi my name is katie> > I have read tons on the benefits of being a Vegan both to ones health and to the ever crumbling environment, but not eating meat is new to me. my dad is southern born and even deep fries his broccoli. :P I have never had a meal that did not contain some sort of meat or cheese.> > well my

nutritionist said that if I don't drop 65 LBS I am going to be insulin dependent in a year, and she was telling me about going vegan as a heath benefit.> > I am Wiccan and love the earth as a mother and want to help end the suffering of all on her. so doing this will not be hared for me. I would love the name of cook books I could get to help get on board.> > thank you> > katie )O(>

Guest guest

Hi KatieI'm assuming you're using " Wiccan " in the American sense of the word?For those of us from England, your statement has the hint of what we call " fundy Wiccans " , who seem to think that any Pagan who isn't Wiccan is somehow second class... I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but just bear in mind that there are a lot of Pagans who don't follow the 1940s invention of Gerald Gardner!... including sime on this list. :-)

BBPeter2009/3/28 katie scott <east_watch

Hi my kids are 5 and 19 months, and my husband is not a vegan and I will not forces him to be.  I like him just the way he is.

Bill I think I have a word for you it is used up here to distinguish the fake witchy Goths from the rest of the Wiccans around here.   " whoopee " vegan. this handy word can be put on any person that is fake or is doing the action to get attention or is phasing.

feel free to pass it around.  :D

katie )O(

Bill wrought

" There is a stigma attached to the word " vegan " here in Utah. It seems the the Mormon youth have taken it to the extreme; calling themselves 'straightedgers' and acting more like skinhead punks. Beating people up for eating meat and damaging peoples property and setting the minks free and stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love the sex pistols and the ramones,et al..., and I am very much an animal welfare advocate. But, the wannabe gangsta/Peta/ Greenpeace people have made us appear like anarchists and terrorists in the local governments eyes.

Bill- in Utah

If it runs away from you because it doesn't want to die and has a mommy,... I don't want to eat it. "

---

To send an email to -! Groups Links

<*>

/

<*> Your email settings:

Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

/join

( ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

-digest

-fullfeatured

<*>

Guest guest

Hi

I'm sorry to hear you are not losing weight as you want to. I need to lose

weight, but must admit to enjoying my food a lot, and not really trying.

You shouldn't need to eat all the time. I think the ideal would be three meals

a day plus a snack or two of fruit and nuts. Of course, even vegan diets can

contain too much fat or sugar, but if you are eating a fairly natural diet and

cooking your own meals it should be possible to keep track of these items.

I don't know if Patrick Holford is known in America, but he has a couple of

books out about the GL (Glycemic load) diet, which reckons that if you balance

carbohydrate and protein you can lose weight. It sounds sensible to me -

unfortunately doesn't give too many recipes for vegans -but the principle could

be followed.

Jo

, Sandy Mathiesen <smathiesen wrote:

>

> I went Vegan on Feb 1st - and agree it is the way to go.  HOWEVER - I guess my

body is just not ready to release the weight.  I lost 5 lbs and am just holding

steady now.  I would like to lose 30 to 35 lbs. and hope it will still come.

>  

> I ate healthy before this switch and my main change is forgoing my (beloved

-LOL) 2 oz of cheese per week and caffeine and alcohol.  (more a cholesterol

lowering attempt than part of my Vegan change, obviously).   The only other

thing I really changed was now omitting the very small amount of non-fat milk I

used to drink.  

>  

> And yes, I exercise.  a lot.

>  

> I've had nutritionists review my food journal (tho I haven't kept one for the

last few mos) and the comment always is to eat more.   But I feel I'm eating all

the time - and plenty!  I'm not hungry for goodness sake. 

>  

> anyhow - I hope you are right and the weight loss will come.   I'm ready to

release it (the excess weight) now just need my body to agree and cooperate!

>  

> sandy

>

> --- On Thu, 3/26/09, Jerrrold Fuller <cocopuffs771 wrote:

>

> Jerrrold Fuller <cocopuffs771

> Re: Re: Hi I am new to this

>

> Thursday, March 26, 2009, 8:44 AM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Hi Jo

>  

> I agree with you about the diet, however it takes willpower and dedication. 

What do you do when you go out and there is nothing you can find to eat?  

Jerrold

>

> --- On Mon, 3/23/09, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

>

> heartwerk <jo.heartwork

>

>

>

>

>

> HI Katie

>

> Do you live with your parents? Hopefully when they realise that your doctor

has told you this they will make it easier for you.

>

> I think a vegan diet is definitely the way to go to lose weight and gain

health - although you don't necessarily lose weight just by being vegan. If you

choose the right foods - veggies, fruit, beans, lentils and some nuts and tofu,

you can lose weight.

>

> Good luck

>

> Jo

>

> @gro ups.com, katie scott <east_watch@ ...> wrote:

> >

> >

> > hi my name is katie

> >

> > I have read tons on the benefits of being a Vegan both to ones health and to

southern born and even deep fries his broccoli. :P I have never had a meal that

did not contain some sort of meat or cheese.

> >

> > well my nutritionist said that if I don't drop 65 LBS I am going to be

insulin dependent in a year, and she was telling me about going vegan as a heath

benefit.

> >

> > I am Wiccan and love the earth as a mother and want to help end the

> >

> > thank you

> >

> > katie )O(

> >

>

Guest guest

Thanks Jo - I'll look up Patrick Holford.

I went thru breast cancer 9 years ago - and after chemo and radiation my thyroid was all out of whack. I suspect my resistance to losing weight is somehow connected to this. I eat very healthfully - breakfast of oatmeal and fruit, usually soup and or salad a lunch (homemade - beans veggies, etc) and a similar dinner. My snacks are vegetables and crackers or such. I have rice pasta (sometimes whole grain) or couscous or something similar once to twice per week. I'm pretty careful with my diet!

I am following a very low fat diet right now (since Feb. 1) with no added oils - tho I plan someday soon to start allowing back in a bit of olive oil...since I miss it!

I walk/hike/snowshoe 5 miles + a day and I do light weights a few times a week.

I have had to let go of the focus on weight and for now just focus on HEALTH. I am trusting the weight loss will follow.

I suspect I have to rev up my exercise program!--- On Sun, 3/29/09, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

heartwerk <jo.heartwork Re: Hi I am new to this Date: Sunday, March 29, 2009, 7:18 AMHi

I'm sorry to hear you are not losing weight as you want to. I need to lose

weight, but must admit to enjoying my food a lot, and not really trying.

You shouldn't need to eat all the time. I think the ideal would be three

meals a day plus a snack or two of fruit and nuts. Of course, even vegan diets

can contain too much fat or sugar, but if you are eating a fairly natural diet

and cooking your own meals it should be possible to keep track of these items.

I don't know if Patrick Holford is known in America, but he has a couple of

books out about the GL (Glycemic load) diet, which reckons that if you balance

carbohydrate and protein you can lose weight. It sounds sensible to me -

unfortunately doesn't give too many recipes for vegans -but the principle

could be followed.

Jo

, Sandy Mathiesen <smathiesen

wrote:

>

> I went Vegan on Feb 1st - and agree it is the way to go. HOWEVER - I

guess my body is just not ready to release the weight. I lost 5 lbs and am

just holding steady now. I would like to lose 30 to 35 lbs. and hope it will

still come. >

> I ate healthy before this switch and my main change is forgoing my

(beloved -LOL) 2 oz of cheese per week and caffeine and alcohol. (more a

cholesterol lowering attempt than part of my Vegan change, obviously). The

only other thing I really changed was now omitting the very small amount of

non-fat milk I used to drink. >

> And yes, I exercise. a lot. >

> I've had nutritionists review my food journal (tho I haven't kept

one for the last few mos) and the comment always is to eat more. But I feel

I'm eating all the time - and plenty! I'm not hungry for goodness

sake. >

> anyhow - I hope you are right and the weight loss will come. I'm

ready to release it (the excess weight) now just need my body to agree and

cooperate!

>

> sandy

> > --- On Thu, 3/26/09, Jerrrold Fuller <cocopuffs771 wrote:

> > Jerrrold Fuller <cocopuffs771

> Re: Re: Hi I am new to this

>

> Thursday, March 26, 2009, 8:44 AM

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Hi Jo

>

> I agree with you about the diet, however it takes willpower and

dedication. What do you do when you go out and there is nothing you can find

to eat? Jerrold

> > --- On Mon, 3/23/09, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

> > heartwerk <jo.heartwork

>

> > > > > HI Katie

> > Do you live with your parents? Hopefully when they realise that your

doctor has told you this they will make it easier for you.

> > I think a vegan diet is definitely the way to go to lose weight and gain

health - although you don't necessarily lose weight just by being vegan. If

you choose the right foods - veggies, fruit, beans, lentils and some nuts and

tofu, you can lose weight.

> > Good luck

> > Jo

> > @gro ups.com, katie scott <east_watch@ ...>

wrote:

> >

> > > > hi my name is katie

> > > > I have read tons on the benefits of being a Vegan both to ones health

and to the ever crumbling environment, but not eating meat is new to me. my dad

is southern born and even deep fries his broccoli. :P I have never had a meal

> > > > well my nutritionist said that if I don't drop 65 LBS I am going

to be insulin dependent in a year, and she was telling me about going vegan as a

heath benefit.

> > > > I am Wiccan and love the earth as a mother and want to help end the

> > > > thank you

> > > > katie )O(

> >

>

---

To send an email to -!

Groups Links

<*>

/

<*> Your email settings:

Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

/join

( ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

-digest -fullfeatured

<*>

Guest guest

Hi, Katie.

For the record. I am no longer Wiccan. Although, I am still very Wiccan friendly

and sympathetic. I WAS Wiccan from about 1978 ( when I may have been a " whoopie "

Witch. I got more serious as time went on. I am now Catholic as of about 6 years

or so a go. (don't freak out! I have my reasons!)I have forgot nothing. And

still follow much of the ideals. I just prefer Mary and Jesus and the saints as

my god-forms. Although, admitting this may get me labeled as a heretic.

My point was more along the lines of being Vegan. And there may be " whoopie

Vegans, too!

All generations have their styles. " Flower child " , punk, emo, mods, retro,...

whatever.Trust me,... I HATE " labels " . I know that when you are a serious " Type "

then the posers can be annoying. I think that during the growing process of

becoming anything we all go through phases. In time, the true Witches and/or

Vegans (not necessarily the same thing although embracing similar sensibilities)

will flourish and the wannabes will be naturally weeded out.

I am hoping that the more positive aspects of all this can be emphasized and the

negative terrorist/unpatriotic/anti-social aspects of BOTH movements can be

downplayed by those of us who understand what it is we are truly trying to

accomplish here. Which, I think, is a long term sustainable planet!

Like the )O( by the way!

Oh,... and 'kudos' for not trying to change the hubbie. I would've resisted it

myself. Besides, I remember the camaraderie of the so-called " male mysteries " ,

with all the wild-man stuff etc...

Bill- in Utah

>

>

> Hi my kids are 5 and 19 months, and my husband is not a vegan and I will not

forces him to be. I like him just the way he is.

>

> Bill I think I have a word for you it is used up here to distinguish the fake

witchy Goths from the rest of the Wiccans around here. " whoopee " vegan. this

handy word can be put on any person that is fake or is doing the action to get

attention or is phasing.

>

> feel free to pass it around. :D

>

> katie )O(

>

> Bill wrought

>

> " There is a stigma attached to the word " vegan " here in Utah. It seems the the

Mormon youth have taken it to the extreme; calling themselves 'straightedgers'

and acting more like skinhead punks. Beating people up for eating meat and

damaging peoples property and setting the minks free and stuff. Don't get me

wrong, I love the sex pistols and the ramones,et al..., and I am very much an

animal welfare advocate. But, the wannabe gangsta/Peta/ Greenpeace people have

made us appear like anarchists and terrorists in the local governments eyes.

>

> Bill- in Utah

>

> If it runs away from you because it doesn't want to die and has a mommy,... I

don't want to eat it. "

>

Guest guest

Wow! I never before made the connection between Jesus and Mary and the God and Goddess... How did I not see that?

- DJ-----------------------Always remember: Today's mighty oak is simplyyesterday's nut that held its ground...

On Behalf Of shinobibombayMonday, March 30, 2009 5:56 AM Subject: Re: Hi I am new to this

Hi, Katie.For the record. I am no longer Wiccan. Although, I am still very Wiccan friendly and sympathetic. I WAS Wiccan from about 1978 ( when I may have been a "whoopie" Witch. I got more serious as time went on. I am now Catholic as of about 6 years or so a go. (don't freak out! I have my reasons!)I have forgot nothing. And still follow much of the ideals. I just prefer Mary and Jesus and the saints as my god-forms. Although, admitting this may get me labeled as a heretic.My point was more along the lines of being Vegan. And there may be "whoopie Vegans, too!All generations have their styles. "Flower child", punk, emo, mods, retro,... whatever.Trust me,... I HATE "labels". I know that when you are a serious "Type" then the posers can be annoying. I think that during the growing process of becoming anything we all go through phases. In time, the true Witches and/or Vegans (not necessarily the same thing although embracing similar sensibilities) will flourish and the wannabes will be naturally weeded out.I am hoping that the more positive aspects of all this can be emphasized and the negative terrorist/unpatriotic/anti-social aspects of BOTH movements can be downplayed by those of us who understand what it is we are truly trying to accomplish here. Which, I think, is a long term sustainable planet!Like the )O( by the way!Oh,... and 'kudos' for not trying to change the hubbie. I would've resisted it myself. Besides, I remember the camaraderie of the so-called "male mysteries", with all the wild-man stuff etc... Bill- in Utah , katie scott <east_watch wrote:>> > Hi my kids are 5 and 19 months, and my husband is not a vegan and I will not forces him to be. I like him just the way he is.> > Bill I think I have a word for you it is used up here to distinguish the fake witchy Goths from the rest of the Wiccans around here. "whoopee" vegan. this handy word can be put on any person that is fake or is doing the action to get attention or is phasing.> > feel free to pass it around. :D> > katie )O(> > Bill wrought> > "There is a stigma attached to the word "vegan" here in Utah. It seems the the Mormon youth have taken it to the extreme; calling themselves 'straightedgers' and acting more like skinhead punks. Beating people up for eating meat and damaging peoples property and setting the minks free and stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love the sex pistols and the ramones,et al..., and I am very much an animal welfare advocate. But, the wannabe gangsta/Peta/ Greenpeace people have made us appear like anarchists and terrorists in the local governments eyes.> > Bill- in Utah> > If it runs away from you because it doesn't want to die and has a mommy,... I don't want to eat it.">

Guest guest

Given Beltaine, perhaps Mary Magdalene. :)

Unless Jesus has gone Oedipal on our asses.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:44 AM, Dena Jo <DenaJo2 wrote:

Wow!  I never before made the connection between Jesus and Mary and the God and Goddess...  How did I not see that?

- DJ

-----------------------Always remember:  Today's mighty oak is simply

yesterday's nut that held its ground...

On Behalf Of shinobibombay

Monday, March 30, 2009 5:56 AM Subject: Re: Hi I am new to this

Hi, Katie.For the record. I am no longer Wiccan. Although, I am still very Wiccan friendly and sympathetic. I WAS Wiccan from about 1978 ( when I may have been a " whoopie " Witch. I got more serious as time went on. I am now Catholic as of about 6 years or so a go. (don't freak out! I have my reasons!)I have forgot nothing. And still follow much of the ideals. I just prefer Mary and Jesus and the saints as my god-forms. Although, admitting this may get me labeled as a heretic.

My point was more along the lines of being Vegan. And there may be " whoopie Vegans, too!All generations have their styles. " Flower child " , punk, emo, mods, retro,... whatever.Trust me,... I HATE " labels " . I know that when you are a serious " Type " then the posers can be annoying. I think that during the growing process of becoming anything we all go through phases. In time, the true Witches and/or Vegans (not necessarily the same thing although embracing similar sensibilities) will flourish and the wannabes will be naturally weeded out.

I am hoping that the more positive aspects of all this can be emphasized and the negative terrorist/unpatriotic/anti-social aspects of BOTH movements can be downplayed by those of us who understand what it is we are truly trying to accomplish here. Which, I think, is a long term sustainable planet!

Like the )O( by the way!Oh,... and 'kudos' for not trying to change the hubbie. I would've resisted it myself. Besides, I remember the camaraderie of the so-called " male mysteries " , with all the wild-man stuff etc...

Bill- in Utah , katie scott <east_watch wrote:>> > Hi my kids are 5 and 19 months, and my husband is not a vegan and I will not forces him to be. I like him just the way he is.

> > Bill I think I have a word for you it is used up here to distinguish the fake witchy Goths from the rest of the Wiccans around here. " whoopee " vegan. this handy word can be put on any person that is fake or is doing the action to get attention or is phasing.

> > feel free to pass it around. :D> > katie )O(> > Bill wrought> > " There is a stigma attached to the word " vegan " here in Utah. It seems the the Mormon youth have taken it to the extreme; calling themselves 'straightedgers' and acting more like skinhead punks. Beating people up for eating meat and damaging peoples property and setting the minks free and stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love the sex pistols and the ramones,et al..., and I am very much an animal welfare advocate. But, the wannabe gangsta/Peta/ Greenpeace people have made us appear like anarchists and terrorists in the local governments eyes.

> > Bill- in Utah> > If it runs away from you because it doesn't want to die and has a mommy,... I don't want to eat it. " >

-- AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com

~Boston_GothicBoston_MysticBoston-Pagans

Guest guest

Well, I did once go to a talk by a vicar who claimed that the relationship we have with Jesus should be the same as the one we have with our husband / wife. I suspect he was confused... but it certainly shed a new light on Christianity for me :-)

BBPeter2009/3/30 Blue Rose <bluerose156

Given Beltaine, perhaps Mary Magdalene. :)

Unless Jesus has gone Oedipal on our asses.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:44 AM, Dena Jo <DenaJo2 wrote:

Wow!  I never before made the connection between Jesus and Mary and the God and Goddess...  How did I not see that?

- DJ

-----------------------Always remember:  Today's mighty oak is simply

yesterday's nut that held its ground...

On Behalf Of shinobibombay

Monday, March 30, 2009 5:56 AM Subject: Re: Hi I am new to this

Hi, Katie.For the record. I am no longer Wiccan. Although, I am still very Wiccan friendly and sympathetic. I WAS Wiccan from about 1978 ( when I may have been a " whoopie " Witch. I got more serious as time went on. I am now Catholic as of about 6 years or so a go. (don't freak out! I have my reasons!)I have forgot nothing. And still follow much of the ideals. I just prefer Mary and Jesus and the saints as my god-forms. Although, admitting this may get me labeled as a heretic.

My point was more along the lines of being Vegan. And there may be " whoopie Vegans, too!All generations have their styles. " Flower child " , punk, emo, mods, retro,... whatever.Trust me,... I HATE " labels " . I know that when you are a serious " Type " then the posers can be annoying. I think that during the growing process of becoming anything we all go through phases. In time, the true Witches and/or Vegans (not necessarily the same thing although embracing similar sensibilities) will flourish and the wannabes will be naturally weeded out.

I am hoping that the more positive aspects of all this can be emphasized and the negative terrorist/unpatriotic/anti-social aspects of BOTH movements can be downplayed by those of us who understand what it is we are truly trying to accomplish here. Which, I think, is a long term sustainable planet!

Like the )O( by the way!Oh,... and 'kudos' for not trying to change the hubbie. I would've resisted it myself. Besides, I remember the camaraderie of the so-called " male mysteries " , with all the wild-man stuff etc...

Bill- in Utah , katie scott <east_watch wrote:>> > Hi my kids are 5 and 19 months, and my husband is not a vegan and I will not forces him to be. I like him just the way he is.

> > Bill I think I have a word for you it is used up here to distinguish the fake witchy Goths from the rest of the Wiccans around here. " whoopee " vegan. this handy word can be put on any person that is fake or is doing the action to get attention or is phasing.

> > feel free to pass it around. :D> > katie )O(> > Bill wrought> > " There is a stigma attached to the word " vegan " here in Utah. It seems the the Mormon youth have taken it to the extreme; calling themselves 'straightedgers' and acting more like skinhead punks. Beating people up for eating meat and damaging peoples property and setting the minks free and stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love the sex pistols and the ramones,et al..., and I am very much an animal welfare advocate. But, the wannabe gangsta/Peta/ Greenpeace people have made us appear like anarchists and terrorists in the local governments eyes.

> > Bill- in Utah> > If it runs away from you because it doesn't want to die and has a mommy,... I don't want to eat it. " >

-- AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com

~Boston_GothicBoston_Mystic

Boston-Pagans

Guest guest

At the risk of sounding like a smart ass...

DUH!?!?

Bill- in Utah

, " Dena Jo " <DenaJo2 wrote:

>

> Wow! I never before made the connection between Jesus and Mary and the God

> and Goddess... How did I not see that?

>

>

> - DJ

>

> -----------------------

> Always remember: Today's mighty oak is simply

> yesterday's nut that held its ground...

>

>

>

>

>

> _____

>

> On

> Behalf Of shinobibombay

> Monday, March 30, 2009 5:56 AM

>

>

>

>

> Hi, Katie.

> For the record. I am no longer Wiccan. Although, I am still very Wiccan

> friendly and sympathetic. I WAS Wiccan from about 1978 ( when I may have

> been a " whoopie " Witch. I got more serious as time went on. I am now

> Catholic as of about 6 years or so a go. (don't freak out! I have my

> reasons!)I have forgot nothing. And still follow much of the ideals. I just

> prefer Mary and Jesus and the saints as my god-forms. Although, admitting

> this may get me labeled as a heretic.

> My point was more along the lines of being Vegan. And there may be " whoopie

> Vegans, too!

> All generations have their styles. " Flower child " , punk, emo, mods,

> retro,... whatever.Trust me,... I HATE " labels " . I know that when you are a

> serious " Type " then the posers can be annoying. I think that during the

> growing process of becoming anything we all go through phases. In time, the

> true Witches and/or Vegans (not necessarily the same thing although

> embracing similar sensibilities) will flourish and the wannabes will be

> naturally weeded out.

>

> I am hoping that the more positive aspects of all this can be emphasized and

> the negative terrorist/unpatriotic/anti-social aspects of BOTH movements can

> be downplayed by those of us who understand what it is we are truly trying

> to accomplish here. Which, I think, is a long term sustainable planet!

> Like the )O( by the way!

>

> Oh,... and 'kudos' for not trying to change the hubbie. I would've resisted

> it myself. Besides, I remember the camaraderie of the so-called " male

> mysteries " , with all the wild-man stuff etc...

>

> Bill- in Utah

>

> @gro <%40> ups.com,

> katie scott <east_watch@> wrote:

> >

> >

> > Hi my kids are 5 and 19 months, and my husband is not a vegan and I will

> not forces him to be. I like him just the way he is.

> >

> > Bill I think I have a word for you it is used up here to distinguish the

> fake witchy Goths from the rest of the Wiccans around here. " whoopee " vegan.

> this handy word can be put on any person that is fake or is doing the action

> to get attention or is phasing.

> >

> > feel free to pass it around. :D

> >

> > katie )O(

> >

> > Bill wrought

> >

> > " There is a stigma attached to the word " vegan " here in Utah. It seems the

> the Mormon youth have taken it to the extreme; calling themselves

> 'straightedgers' and acting more like skinhead punks. Beating people up for

> eating meat and damaging peoples property and setting the minks free and

> stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love the sex pistols and the ramones,et al...,

> and I am very much an animal welfare advocate. But, the wannabe

> gangsta/Peta/ Greenpeace people have made us appear like anarchists and

> terrorists in the local governments eyes.

> >

> > Bill- in Utah

> >

> > If it runs away from you because it doesn't want to die and has a

> mommy,... I don't want to eat it. "

> >

>

Guest guest

Think of it more as a Isis -Horus relationship, please...

Bill-in Utah

, Blue Rose <bluerose156 wrote:

>

> Given Beltaine, perhaps Mary Magdalene. :)

>

> Unless Jesus has gone Oedipal on our asses.

>

> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:44 AM, Dena Jo <DenaJo2 wrote:

>

> > Wow! I never before made the connection between Jesus and Mary and the

> > God and Goddess... How did I not see that?

> >

> >

> > - DJ

> >

> > -----------------------

> > Always remember: Today's mighty oak is simply

> > yesterday's nut that held its ground...

> >

> >

> > ------------------------------

> > ** *On

> > Behalf Of *shinobibombay

> > *Sent:* Monday, March 30, 2009 5:56 AM

> > *To:*

> > *Subject:* Re: Hi I am new to this

> >

> > Hi, Katie.

> > For the record. I am no longer Wiccan. Although, I am still very Wiccan

> > friendly and sympathetic. I WAS Wiccan from about 1978 ( when I may have

> > been a " whoopie " Witch. I got more serious as time went on. I am now

> > Catholic as of about 6 years or so a go. (don't freak out! I have my

> > reasons!)I have forgot nothing. And still follow much of the ideals. I just

> > prefer Mary and Jesus and the saints as my god-forms. Although, admitting

> > this may get me labeled as a heretic.

> > My point was more along the lines of being Vegan. And there may be " whoopie

> > Vegans, too!

> > All generations have their styles. " Flower child " , punk, emo, mods,

> > retro,... whatever.Trust me,... I HATE " labels " . I know that when you are a

> > serious " Type " then the posers can be annoying. I think that during the

> > growing process of becoming anything we all go through phases. In time, the

> > true Witches and/or Vegans (not necessarily the same thing although

> > embracing similar sensibilities) will flourish and the wannabes will be

> > naturally weeded out.

> >

> > I am hoping that the more positive aspects of all this can be emphasized

> > and the negative terrorist/unpatriotic/anti-social aspects of BOTH movements

> > can be downplayed by those of us who understand what it is we are truly

> > trying to accomplish here. Which, I think, is a long term sustainable

> > planet!

> > Like the )O( by the way!

> >

> > Oh,... and 'kudos' for not trying to change the hubbie. I would've resisted

> > it myself. Besides, I remember the camaraderie of the so-called " male

> > mysteries " , with all the wild-man stuff etc...

> >

> > Bill- in Utah

> >

> > <%40>, katie

> > scott <east_watch@> wrote:

> > >

> > >

> > > Hi my kids are 5 and 19 months, and my husband is not a vegan and I will

> > not forces him to be. I like him just the way he is.

> > >

> > > Bill I think I have a word for you it is used up here to distinguish the

> > fake witchy Goths from the rest of the Wiccans around here. " whoopee " vegan.

> > this handy word can be put on any person that is fake or is doing the action

> > to get attention or is phasing.

> > >

> > > feel free to pass it around. :D

> > >

> > > katie )O(

> > >

> > > Bill wrought

> > >

> > > " There is a stigma attached to the word " vegan " here in Utah. It seems

> > the the Mormon youth have taken it to the extreme; calling themselves

> > 'straightedgers' and acting more like skinhead punks. Beating people up for

> > eating meat and damaging peoples property and setting the minks free and

> > stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love the sex pistols and the ramones,et al...,

> > and I am very much an animal welfare advocate. But, the wannabe

> > gangsta/Peta/ Greenpeace people have made us appear like anarchists and

> > terrorists in the local governments eyes.

> > >

> > > Bill- in Utah

> > >

> > > If it runs away from you because it doesn't want to die and has a

> > mommy,... I don't want to eat it. "

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >