IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

What is everyo9ne reading

Rate this topic

Guest guest

What is everyone reading at present?

I've half way through reading Blackberry Wine by Joanne Harris, and before that Storm Front, the first in the Harry Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.

Jo

Guest guest

I just finished The End of Food by Paul Roberts and PopCo by Scarlett

Thomas--both good. I just started Vegan: A New Ethics of Eating

because there are so many references to it in other things I read, and

The Force of Kindness by Sharon Salzberg because it was recommended to

me.

, " jo.heartwork " <jo.heartwork

wrote:

>

> What is everyone reading at present?

>

> I've half way through reading Blackberry Wine by Joanne Harris,

and before that Storm Front, the first in the Harry Dresden Files by

Jim Butcher.

>

> Jo

>

Guest guest

just started the Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch and the Briar King by, umm...i forgets....

i'd go look downstairs, but i'm lazy

:)

"jo.heartwork" Feb 7, 2009 4:10 PM What is everyo9ne reading

I've half way through reading Blackberry Wine by Joanne Harris, and before that Storm Front, the first in the Harry Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.

Jo

So, men are scattered and smeared over the desert grass,

And the generals have accomplished nothing.

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)

Guest guest

While waiting for the flat tire to get fixed all afternoon, I

finished Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell -- fascinating stuff about

cultural underpinnings of behavior. He tells good stories and makes

seductive connections and uses sweeping generalizations and yet makes

a good case. For instance, rice-farming cultures work 3000 hours a

year, so their proverbs have to do with working hard (get up before

dawn every day to be prosperous), and the cultural tendency is to

persevere more than other cultures. Also, numbers in Asian languages

are more logical than in Western languages (ten-three and three-tens

instead of thirteen and thirty, respectively).

The next one I'm eager to read is Growing green : animal-free

organic techniques / by Jenny Hall and Iain Tolhurst.

Guest guest

Hi Whitty.

Do you read any books other than to do with veganism/food?

Jo

-

whitty__

Sunday, February 08, 2009 1:43 AM

Re: What is everyo9ne reading

I just finished The End of Food by Paul Roberts and PopCo by Scarlett Thomas--both good. I just started Vegan: A New Ethics of Eating because there are so many references to it in other things I read, and The Force of Kindness by Sharon Salzberg because it was recommended to me. , "jo.heartwork" <jo.heartwork wrote:>> What is everyone reading at present?> > I've half way through reading Blackberry Wine by Joanne Harris, and before that Storm Front, the first in the Harry Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.> > Jo>

Guest guest

I keep meaning to start the Wheel of Time series, but at the speed I read, it would take me all year!, just got the new Robert Rankin out of the library its called Necrophenia, should be a good laugh.............big fan of his.

Peter vv

"yarrow" <yarrow Sent: Sunday, 8 February, 2009 6:04:10 AMRe: What is everyo9ne reading

While waiting for the flat tire to get fixed all afternoon, I finished Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell -- fascinating stuff about cultural underpinnings of behavior. He tells good stories and makes seductive connections and uses sweeping generalizations and yet makes a good case. For instance, rice-farming cultures work 3000 hours a year, so their proverbs have to do with working hard (get up before dawn every day to be prosperous), and the cultural tendency is to persevere more than other cultures. Also, numbers in Asian languages are more logical than in Western languages (ten-three and three-tens instead of thirteen and thirty, respectively) .

The next one I'm eager to read is Growing green : animal-free organic techniques / by Jenny Hall and Iain Tolhurst.

Guest guest

My daughter loves the Wheel of Time series, and my husband has enjoyed the few he has so far read. What is the Necrophenia one about?

Jo

-

Peter VV

Sunday, February 08, 2009 11:40 AM

I keep meaning to start the Wheel of Time series, but at the speed I read, it would take me all year!, just got the new Robert Rankin out of the library its called Necrophenia, should be a good laugh.............big fan of his.

Peter vv

"yarrow (AT) sfo (DOT) com" <yarrow Sent: Sunday, 8 February, 2009 6:04:10 AMRe: What is everyo9ne reading

While waiting for the flat tire to get fixed all afternoon, I finished Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell -- fascinating stuff about cultural underpinnings of behavior. He tells good stories and makes seductive connections and uses sweeping generalizations and yet makes a good case. For instance, rice-farming cultures work 3000 hours a year, so their proverbs have to do with working hard (get up before dawn every day to be prosperous), and the cultural tendency is to persevere more than other cultures. Also, numbers in Asian languages are more logical than in Western languages (ten-three and three-tens instead of thirteen and thirty, respectively) .

The next one I'm eager to read is Growing green : animal-free organic techniques / by Jenny Hall and Iain Tolhurst.

Guest guest

I'm a little way behind on this!Currently working my way through lots of John Wyndham books. Recently read Trouble With Lichen, Stowaway to Mars, The Secret People. About to start The Outward Urge.Also recently finished What Dreams May Come by Richard Matheson....

BBPeter2009/2/8 jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork

My daughter loves the Wheel of Time series, and my husband has enjoyed the few he has so far read. What is the Necrophenia one about?

Jo

-

Peter VV

Peter vv

" yarrow " <yarrow

Sunday, 8 February, 2009 6:04:10 AMRe: What is everyo9ne reading

Guest guest

" Earth Warrior, " by David Morris. It's about Paul Watson and the Sea

Shepherd Conservation Society.

Missie Harhold

and Gracie the Ibizan Hound

and Jeanie the Greyhound

greyhounddog

“Because nothing worthwhile in this country has ever happened unless

somebody, somewhere stood up when it was hard; stood up when they were

told – no you can’t, and said yes we can.” Barack Obama

Guest guest

I've never read a John Wyndham, but I read Somehwere in Time by Richard Matheson. Is What Dreams May Come good?

BBJo

-

Peter Kebbell

Sunday, February 08, 2009 2:38 PM

I'm a little way behind on this!Currently working my way through lots of John Wyndham books. Recently read Trouble With Lichen, Stowaway to Mars, The Secret People. About to start The Outward Urge.Also recently finished What Dreams May Come by Richard Matheson....BBPeter

2009/2/8 jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork >

Jo

-

Peter VV

Peter vv

"yarrow" <yarrow Sent: Sunday, 8 February, 2009 6:04:10 AMRe: What is everyo9ne reading

Guest guest

I havent read John Wyndham since I was about 16! a long long time ago....

Peter vv

Peter Kebbell <metalscarab Sent: Sunday, 8 February, 2009 2:38:13 PMRe: What is everyo9ne reading

I'm a little way behind on this!Currently working my way through lots of John Wyndham books. Recently read Trouble With Lichen, Stowaway to Mars, The Secret People. About to start The Outward Urge.Also recently finished What Dreams May Come by Richard Matheson....BBPeter

2009/2/8 jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

I keep meaning to start the Wheel of Time series, but at the speed I read, it would take me all year!, just got the new Robert Rankin out of the library its called Necrophenia, should be a good laugh....... ......big fan of his.

Peter vv

"yarrow" <yarrow@gro ups.comSunday, 8 February, 2009 6:04:10 AMRe: What is everyo9ne reading

Guest guest

It's well written... but it's a bit weird in terms of the beliefs behind it. Sort of a cross between Christianity, Buddhism, and Hare Krishna, with a smattering of Paganism thrown in!BBPeter

2009/2/8 jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork

I've never read a John Wyndham, but I read Somehwere in Time by Richard Matheson. Is What Dreams May Come good?

BBJo

-

Peter Kebbell

2009/2/8 jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork

Jo

-

Peter VV

Peter vv

" yarrow " <yarrow

Sunday, 8 February, 2009 6:04:10 AMRe: What is everyo9ne reading

Guest guest

That could be interesting.

BBJo

-

Peter Kebbell

Sunday, February 08, 2009 5:19 PM

It's well written... but it's a bit weird in terms of the beliefs behind it. Sort of a cross between Christianity, Buddhism, and Hare Krishna, with a smattering of Paganism thrown in!BBPeter

BBJo

-

Peter Kebbell

Jo

-

Peter VV

Peter vv

Guest guest

Thanks. Did you watch Pratchett on the tv last week. It is to do with Alzheimer's. I saw only about the last five minutes, but the second part is on tonight I think.

I've read a few Pratchett's - the Tiffany ones, and Good Omens.

Jo

-

Peter VV

I`ll let you know when I start it!, just finishing an old Pratchet at the moment.

Peter vv

jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork > Sent: Sunday, 8 February, 2009 2:24:31 PMRe: What is everyo9ne reading

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

I keep meaning to start the Wheel of Time series, but at the speed I read, it would take me all year!, just got the new Robert Rankin out of the library its called Necrophenia, should be a good laugh....... ......big fan of his.

Peter vv

"yarrow (AT) sfo (DOT) com" <yarrow@gro ups.comSunday, 8 February, 2009 6:04:10 AMRe: What is everyo9ne reading

Guest guest

Greg Keyes

"jo.heartwork" Feb 8, 2009 3:35 AM Re: What is everyo9ne reading

LOL - maybe next time you pick it up you could let me know.

Jo

-

fraggle

Sunday, February 08, 2009 1:55 AM

just started the Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch and the Briar King by, umm...i forgets....

Jo

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)

Guest guest

first books are great.

a tad long...and Robert Jordan has issues with women apparently ...well, had, as he died.

unfortunately, the series lasts waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay toooo long, and he ended up dying before finishing it.

i really wasn't thrilled with the last few books in the series.

but, first books are very very good

Peter VV Feb 8, 2009 3:40 AM Re: What is everyo9ne reading

Peter vv

"yarrow (AT) sfo (DOT) com" <yarrow Sent: Sunday, 8 February, 2009 6:04:10 AMRe: What is everyo9ne reading

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)

Guest guest

Apparently someone is finishing off the last one for him..........

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Sunday, 8 February, 2009 7:21:26 PMRe: What is everyo9ne reading

first books are great.

a tad long...and Robert Jordan has issues with women apparently ...well, had, as he died.

unfortunately, the series lasts waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay toooo long, and he ended up dying before finishing it.

Peter VV Feb 8, 2009 3:40 AM @gro ups.com Re: What is everyo9ne reading

Peter vv

"yarrow (AT) sfo (DOT) com" <yarrow@gro ups.comSunday, 8 February, 2009 6:04:10 AMRe: What is everyo9ne reading

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)

Guest guest

Yes I saw it, h has the right attitude, but it was sad at the end when he did a book reading and couldnt make out the words, just kept trying and blaming it on the lighting, very sad........

Peter vv

jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork Sent: Sunday, 8 February, 2009 5:34:01 PMRe: What is everyo9ne reading

Thanks. Did you watch Pratchett on the tv last week. It is to do with Alzheimer's. I saw only about the last five minutes, but the second part is on tonight I think.

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

I`ll let you know when I start it!, just finishing an old Pratchet at the moment.

Peter vv

jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comSunday, 8 February, 2009 2:24:31 PMRe: What is everyo9ne reading

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv

Guest guest

Ah thanks.

Jo

-

fraggle

Sunday, February 08, 2009 7:18 PM

Greg Keyes

"jo.heartwork" Feb 8, 2009 3:35 AM Re: What is everyo9ne reading

LOL - maybe next time you pick it up you could let me know.

Jo

-

fraggle

Sunday, February 08, 2009 1:55 AM

Jo

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)

Guest guest

Oh dear. I must admit the books look long, and there are quite a few, which is why I haven't started reading them yet.

Jo

-

fraggle

Sunday, February 08, 2009 7:21 PM

first books are great.

Peter vv

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)

Guest guest

I thought his Alzheimer's was a rare form which didn't affect his memory - more alance and agility.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Sunday, February 08, 2009 7:42 PM

Yes I saw it, h has the right attitude, but it was sad at the end when he did a book reading and couldnt make out the words, just kept trying and blaming it on the lighting, very sad........

Peter vv

jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork > Sent: Sunday, 8 February, 2009 5:34:01 PMRe: What is everyo9ne reading

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv

jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comSunday, 8 February, 2009 2:24:31 PMRe: What is everyo9ne reading

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv

Guest guest

He has a rare variant called PCA, it affects his ability to read/recognise words, letters just seem to dissapear.

Peter vv

jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork Sent: Sunday, 8 February, 2009 8:39:08 PMRe: What is everyo9ne reading

I thought his Alzheimer's was a rare form which didn't affect his memory - more alance and agility.

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Sunday, February 08, 2009 7:42 PM

Peter vv

jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comSunday, 8 February, 2009 5:34:01 PMRe: What is everyo9ne reading

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv

Guest guest

The WHEEL OF TIME series by Robert Jordan

MAGNIFICANT series. My second time reading them.. and OMG I love

them :D I fully recommend these books! YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT :D

Mercedez

Guest guest

yeah, Brandon Sanderson

Peter VV Feb 8, 2009 11:39 AM Re: What is everyo9ne reading

Apparently someone is finishing off the last one for him..........

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Sunday, 8 February, 2009 7:21:26 PMRe: What is everyo9ne reading

first books are great.

Peter VV Feb 8, 2009 3:40 AM @gro ups.com Re: What is everyo9ne reading

Peter vv

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)

Guest guest

11 so far, with the 12th due out supposedly later this year

we'll see

i'll have to read it, just for the feeling of completeness

hahahahaha

"jo.heartwork" Feb 8, 2009 12:37 PM Re: What is everyo9ne reading

Oh dear. I must admit the books look long, and there are quite a few, which is why I haven't started reading them yet.

Jo

-

fraggle

Sunday, February 08, 2009 7:21 PM

first books are great.

Peter vv

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)