from those three folks, but it just makes me wonder where the other

1000+ people are. Okay, so I did see a post or two here and there

from names that weren't PeterVV, fraggle or Jo (handwerk), but since

the membership is closed to look at, I'm curious as to how many

members are in the bouncing list, and how many are " really " here, and

why we aren't hearing from the others.

Anybody care to chime in?

Guest guest

Hi qweiopI think that Fraggle, Jo and Peter VV are the most active over a long period (all three have been here since the very beginning of the list!)We have had plenty of other members who have taken an active part, but many come and go as their lives get more or less busy - I used to be a far more active poster, but at the moment am entering into the final year of my PhD, and am getting married in August, the result being that I have less time to join in regularly with conversations. I'm aware of others who have been active for a while, and then their lives have become more busy and they've backed off...

We're certainly always happy to hear from any of those lurkers out there, and from new members... the more the merrier :-)BBPeter2008/6/25 qweiop75 <qweiop75:

Hi, I'm glad to find this group & glad to be here! I was also glad to

see how active the group is (wow! over 400+ posts per month!) although

once I saw all that email in my box in just 24 hours, I quickly

changed it to no delivery lest I lose track of those more crucial to

my daily existence ;)

.....then I checked the archives back a year and saw that it's been the

same three people posting most of the time. There's nothing at all

wrong with that, & I " ve had plenty of interests in some of the posts

from those three folks, but it just makes me wonder where the other

1000+ people are. Okay, so I did see a post or two here and there

from names that weren't PeterVV, fraggle or Jo (handwerk), but since

the membership is closed to look at, I'm curious as to how many

members are in the bouncing list, and how many are " really " here, and

why we aren't hearing from the others.

Anybody care to chime in?

---

To send an email to -! Groups Links

<*>

/

<*> Your email settings:

Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

/join

( ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

-digest

-fullfeatured

<*>

Guest guest

yeah, what he said...

if you want to join in, please do!

some of us are just more chatty then others..ppl come and go...some get real into posting, and then move on...some just lurk quietly and occassionally post...

Peter Kebbell Jun 25, 2008 1:25 PM Re: Question about amt. of "viable" members here

Hi qweiopI think that Fraggle, Jo and Peter VV are the most active over a long period (all three have been here since the very beginning of the list!)We have had plenty of other members who have taken an active part, but many come and go as their lives get more or less busy - I used to be a far more active poster, but at the moment am entering into the final year of my PhD, and am getting married in August, the result being that I have less time to join in regularly with conversations. I'm aware of others who have been active for a while, and then their lives have become more busy and they've backed off...We're certainly always happy to hear from any of those lurkers out there, and from new members... the more the merrier :-)BBPeter

2008/6/25 qweiop75 <qweiop75 >:

Hi, I'm glad to find this group & glad to be here! I was also glad tosee how active the group is (wow! over 400+ posts per month!) althoughonce I saw all that email in my box in just 24 hours, I quicklychanged it to no delivery lest I lose track of those more crucial tomy daily existence ;)....then I checked the archives back a year and saw that it's been thesame three people posting most of the time. There's nothing at allwrong with that, & I"ve had plenty of interests in some of the postsfrom those three folks, but it just makes me wonder where the other1000+ people are. Okay, so I did see a post or two here and therefrom names that weren't PeterVV, fraggle or Jo (handwerk), but sincethe membership is closed to look at, I'm curious as to how manymembers are in the bouncing list, and how many are "really" here, andwhy we aren't hearing from the others.Anybody care to chime in?---To send an email to -

Guest guest

At 8:10 PM +0000 6/25/08, qweiop75 wrote:

>....then I checked the archives back a year and saw that it's been the

>same three people posting most of the time. There's nothing at all

>wrong with that, & I " ve had plenty of interests in some of the posts

>from those three folks, but it just makes me wonder where the other

>1000+ people are. Okay, so I did see a post or two here and there

>from names that weren't PeterVV, fraggle or Jo (handwerk), but since

>the membership is closed to look at, I'm curious as to how many

>members are in the bouncing list, and how many are " really " here, and

>why we aren't hearing from the others.

Sometimes it *does* look like a private conversation among those

three (usually not about veg topics), so if anyone else does post, it

gets lost. Some days 50 or more messages get filtered into the

veg-chat box, and when the volume is that high, often I don't have

time to look at them. That's when I think I ought to weed out some

e-mail lists that appear to be more noise than signal. But then once

in a while something interesting comes along.

I've noticed that some people post once or twice when they first

join, then never again.

Guest guest

Would you like me not to post so often?

Peter vv

"yarrow" <yarrow Sent: Wednesday, 25 June, 2008 9:53:41 PMRe: Question about amt. of "viable" members here

At 8:10 PM +0000 6/25/08, qweiop75 wrote:>....then I checked the archives back a year and saw that it's been the>same three people posting most of the time. There's nothing at all>wrong with that, & I"ve had plenty of interests in some of the posts>from those three folks, but it just makes me wonder where the other>1000+ people are. Okay, so I did see a post or two here and there>from names that weren't PeterVV, fraggle or Jo (handwerk), but since>the membership is closed to look at, I'm curious as to how many>members are in the bouncing list, and how many are "really" here, and>why we aren't hearing from the others.Sometimes it *does* look like a private conversation among those three (usually not about veg topics), so if anyone else does post, it gets lost. Some days 50 or more messages get filtered into the veg-chat box, and when the volume is that high, often I

don't have time to look at them. That's when I think I ought to weed out some e-mail lists that appear to be more noise than signal. But then once in a while something interesting comes along.I've noticed that some people post once or twice when they first join, then never again.

Not happy with your email address?

Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

Guest guest

.... and life is a flow... ... and it is a matter of vibration... ... if You are at the same wavelength, You stay, else You move on...--- On Wed, 6/25/08, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:fraggle <EBbrewpunxRe: Question about amt. of "viable" members here Date: Wednesday, June 25, 2008, 4:49 PM

yeah, what he said...

if you want to join in, please do!

some of us are just more chatty then others..ppl come and go...some get real into posting, and then move on...some just lurk quietly and occassionally post...

Peter Kebbell Jun 25, 2008 1:25 PM @gro ups.com Re: Question about amt. of "viable" members here

Hi qweiopI think that Fraggle, Jo and Peter VV are the most active over a long period (all three have been here since the very beginning of the list!)We have had plenty of other members who have taken an active part, but many come and go as their lives get more or less busy - I used to be a far more active poster, but at the moment am entering into the final year of my PhD, and am getting married in August, the result being that I have less time to join in regularly with conversations. I'm aware of others who have been active for a while, and then their lives have become more busy and they've backed off...We're certainly always happy to hear from any of those lurkers out there, and from new members... the more the merrier :-)BBPeter

2008/6/25 qweiop75 <qweiop75 >:

Hi, I'm glad to find this group & glad to be here! I was also glad tosee how active the group is (wow! over 400+ posts per month!) althoughonce I saw all that email in my box in just 24 hours, I quicklychanged it to no delivery lest I lose track of those more crucial tomy daily existence ;)....then I checked the archives back a year and saw that it's been thesame three people posting most of the time. There's nothing at allwrong with that, & I"ve had plenty of interests in some of the postsfrom those three folks, but it just makes me wonder where the other1000+ people are. Okay, so I did see a post or two here and therefrom names that weren't PeterVV, fraggle or Jo (handwerk), but sincethe membership is closed to look at, I'm curious as to how manymembers are in the bouncing list, and how many are

"really" here, andwhy we aren't hearing from the others.Anybody care to chime in?------------ --------- --------- ------To send an email to -unsubscr ibe

Guest guest

Im really here well I hope im really here metaphorically speaking its possible im not here but metapsysically im here in body at least!!

Steve --- On Wed, 25/6/08, qweiop75 <qweiop75 wrote:

qweiop75 <qweiop75 Question about amt. of "viable" members here Date: Wednesday, 25 June, 2008, 9:10 PM

Hi, I'm glad to find this group & glad to be here! I was also glad to see how active the group is (wow! over 400+ posts per month!) although once I saw all that email in my box in just 24 hours, I quickly changed it to no delivery lest I lose track of those more crucial to my daily existence ;)....then I checked the archives back a year and saw that it's been the same three people posting most of the time. There's nothing at all wrong with that, & I"ve had plenty of interests in some of the posts from those three folks, but it just makes me wonder where the other 1000+ people are. Okay, so I did see a post or two here and there from names that weren't PeterVV, fraggle or Jo (handwerk), but since the membership is closed to look at, I'm curious as to how many members are in the bouncing list, and how many are "really" here, and why we aren't hearing from the others. Anybody care to

chime in?

Sent from Mail.

A Smarter Email.

Guest guest

I never post just read the emails I get but occasionally I reply to those that I like!!

steve--- On Wed, 25/6/08, yarrow <yarrow wrote:

yarrow <yarrowRe: Question about amt. of "viable" members here Date: Wednesday, 25 June, 2008, 9:53 PM

At 8:10 PM +0000 6/25/08, qweiop75 wrote:>....then I checked the archives back a year and saw that it's been the>same three people posting most of the time. There's nothing at all>wrong with that, & I"ve had plenty of interests in some of the posts>from those three folks, but it just makes me wonder where the other>1000+ people are. Okay, so I did see a post or two here and there>from names that weren't PeterVV, fraggle or Jo (handwerk), but since>the membership is closed to look at, I'm curious as to how many>members are in the bouncing list, and how many are "really" here, and>why we aren't hearing from the others.Sometimes it *does* look like a private conversation among those three (usually not about veg topics), so if anyone else does post, it gets lost. Some days 50 or more messages get filtered into the veg-chat box, and when the volume is that high, often I

don't have time to look at them. That's when I think I ought to weed out some e-mail lists that appear to be more noise than signal. But then once in a while something interesting comes along.I've noticed that some people post once or twice when they first join, then never again.

Sent from Mail.

A Smarter Email.

Guest guest

The aim of the group is to be able to chat about anything, as long as it is not offensive to vegans, so therefore, our chats are often about other subjects. If anyone wishes to start topics on food etc. please do.

Jo

-

yarrow

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 9:53 PM

Re: Question about amt. of "viable" members here

At 8:10 PM +0000 6/25/08, qweiop75 wrote:>....then I checked the archives back a year and saw that it's been the>same three people posting most of the time. There's nothing at all>wrong with that, & I"ve had plenty of interests in some of the posts>from those three folks, but it just makes me wonder where the other>1000+ people are. Okay, so I did see a post or two here and there>from names that weren't PeterVV, fraggle or Jo (handwerk), but since>the membership is closed to look at, I'm curious as to how many>members are in the bouncing list, and how many are "really" here, and>why we aren't hearing from the others.Sometimes it *does* look like a private conversation among those three (usually not about veg topics), so if anyone else does post, it gets lost. Some days 50 or more messages get filtered into the veg-chat box, and when the volume is that high, often I don't have time to look at them. That's when I think I ought to weed out some e-mail lists that appear to be more noise than signal. But then once in a while something interesting comes along.I've noticed that some people post once or twice when they first join, then never again.

Guest guest

Definitely not.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 10:13 PM

Peter vv

"yarrow (AT) sfo (DOT) com" <yarrow Sent: Wednesday, 25 June, 2008 9:53:41 PMRe: Question about amt. of "viable" members here

At 8:10 PM +0000 6/25/08, qweiop75 wrote:>....then I checked the archives back a year and saw that it's been the>same three people posting most of the time. There's nothing at all>wrong with that, & I"ve had plenty of interests in some of the posts>from those three folks, but it just makes me wonder where the other>1000+ people are. Okay, so I did see a post or two here and there>from names that weren't PeterVV, fraggle or Jo (handwerk), but since>the membership is closed to look at, I'm curious as to how many>members are in the bouncing list, and how many are "really" here, and>why we aren't hearing from the others.Sometimes it *does* look like a private conversation among those three (usually not about veg topics), so if anyone else does post, it gets lost. Some days 50 or more messages get filtered into the veg-chat box, and when the volume is that high, often I don't have time to look at them. That's when I think I ought to weed out some e-mail lists that appear to be more noise than signal. But then once in a while something interesting comes along.I've noticed that some people post once or twice when they first join, then never again.

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

Guest guest

What subjects would be offensive to vegans that for example wouldnt be offensive to meat eaters I dont really get what subject I couldnt talk about because of my dietary preferences??

Steve--- On Wed, 25/6/08, jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

jo <jo.heartworkRe: Question about amt. of "viable" members here Date: Wednesday, 25 June, 2008, 10:47 PM

The aim of the group is to be able to chat about anything, as long as it is not offensive to vegans, so therefore, our chats are often about other subjects. If anyone wishes to start topics on food etc. please do.

Jo

-

yarrow

@gro ups.com

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 9:53 PM

Guest guest

, Beatriz <searchingalight wrote:

>

>

> ... and life is a flow...

>    ... and it is a matter of vibration...

>       ... if You are at the same wavelength, You stay, else You move

on...

>

sure; yep.

I'm really interested more in knowing about/hearing from those who

stayed, rather than knowing why others left. The home page says there

are over 1000 members here right now. I suspect that, depending on how

often the list owner weeds out the bouncing members, there may several

hundred who're bouncing, and another couple of hundred who may not see

most of the emails because they've turned off delivery or just dont

have time to read them all.

And I realize that none of you in the " core " group can read the minds

of silent members any more than I can, so....Let me ask this one

question, which was going to be my next post anyway.

Has the " where do you live " question been addressed already

recently? If so, maybe someone will just give me the title as it was

listed and I'll do a search for it so you don't all have to read the

same posts over again.

I'm about to buy a large house and would like to have a couple of

housemates who're vegan, and I'd really like to know:

is anyone here in the Atlanta metro area?

Or about to be?

Or wants to be?

Even if you're not looking for a living situation but want to connect,

that would be good too.

okee dokee.

thx!

Guest guest

sorry you feel that way Yarrow...

anyone here is welcome to post anything they like, as long as it isn't vicious or likewise.

peter, peter vv, jo, and i have been here a long time. so, we chat. we bring up things that might interest anyone in the group. if you (or anyone) wants to talk about a subject, please please please feel free.

yarrow Jun 25, 2008 1:53 PM Re: Question about amt. of "viable" members here

“We now know that a neo-conservative is an arsonist who sets the house on fire and six years later boasts that no one can put it out.†- Bill Moyers

Guest guest

</lurk>So, um... Teavana!www.teavana.comI am seriously, seriously addicted to this store. I just spent some money on one of their infusers and a ton of their tea. SO WORTH IT.

I should probably post an intro to this list at some point since I'm new, but figured I'd comment with this random bit about tea for anyone on here who is a tea-lover like me. :)

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 5:47 PM, jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

Jo

-- Email: bluerose156AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com

~Boston_GothicBoston_MysticBoston-Pagans

Guest guest

Sometimes it's not that the other people in this group don't want to post, its just that we don't know what to say. If someone other then the 4 main members of this group post something, it usually turns into a conversation between the 4 main people, and that can be intimidating. I think if someone posted a survey or a question not directed at one person (which is how it is quite often) then I would be among the first to reply. Just my opinion--Heatherfraggle

<EBbrewpunx Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 7:00:33 PMRe: Question about amt. of "viable" members heresorry you feel that way Yarrow...anyone here is welcome to post anything they like, as long as it isn't vicious or likewise.peter, peter vv, jo, and i have been here a long time. so, we chat. we bring up things that might interest anyone in the group. if you (or anyone) wants to talk about a subject, please please please feel free. yarrow Jun 25, 2008 1:53 PM @gro ups.com Re: Question about amt. of "viable" members here At 8:10 PM +0000 6/25/08, qweiop75 wrote:>....then I checked the archives back a year and saw that it's been the>same three people posting most of the time. There's nothing at all>wrong with that, & I"ve had plenty of interests in some of the posts>from those three folks, but it just makes me wonder where the other>1000+ people are. Okay, so I did see a post or two here and there>from names that weren't PeterVV, fraggle or Jo (handwerk), but since>the membership is closed to look at, I'm curious as to how many>members are in the bouncing list, and how many are "really" here, and>why we aren't hearing from the others.Sometimes it *does* look like a private conversation among those

three (usually not about veg topics), so if anyone else does post, it gets lost. Some days 50 or more messages get filtered into the veg-chat box, and when the volume is that high, often I don't have time to look at them. That's when I think I ought to weed out some e-mail lists that appear to be more noise than signal. But then once in a while something interesting comes along.I've noticed that some people post once or twice when they first join, then never again. “We now know that a neo-conservative is an arsonist who sets the house on fire and six years later boasts that no one can put it out.” - Bill Moyers

Guest guest

At 10:21 PM +0000 6/25/08, qweiop75 wrote:

> I'm about to buy a large house and would like to have a couple of

>housemates who're vegan, and I'd really like to know:

>is anyone here in the Atlanta metro area?

Try the Atlanta craigslist.

Guest guest

You're fine! What I'm saying is, it *looks like* a private

conversation when only 3 or 4 people are chatting back and forth, with

a lot of posts within a few hours, which may discourage the hundreds

of lurkers from jumping in (or from reading to find out more).

Also, since I usually check e-mail once a day or less, the number

of messages can seem overwhelming, because they all come at

once.

I probably read a tenth of the e-mail (from lists) that I get,

just because I also do other things! But most of the time I do read

more than that here, unless it's an especially busy week. I rely a lot

on subject headings, so I'm sure I miss a lot when the subject

changes. I also pay attention to the length -- if it looks like a big

long posting, I skip it.

And it would be interesting to know why the hundreds of other

people are here.

At 9:13 PM +0000 6/25/08, Peter VV wrote:

Peter vv

" yarrow " <yarrow

Wednesday, 25 June, 2008 9:53:41 PM

Re: Question about amt. of " viable "

members here

At 8:10 PM +0000 6/25/08, qweiop75 wrote:

>....then I checked the archives back a year and saw that it's been

the

>same three people posting most of the time. There's nothing at

all

>wrong with that, & I " ve had plenty of interests in some

of the posts

>from those three folks, but it just makes me wonder where the

other

>1000+ people are. Okay, so I did see a post or two here and

there

>from names that weren't PeterVV, fraggle or Jo (handwerk), but

since

>the membership is closed to look at, I'm curious as to how

many

>members are in the bouncing list, and how many are " really "

here, and

>why we aren't hearing from the others.

Sometimes it *does* look like a private conversation among those

three (usually not about veg topics), so if anyone else does post,

it

gets lost. Some days 50 or more messages get filtered into the

veg-chat box, and when the volume is that high, often I don't have

time to look at them. That's when I think I ought to weed out some

e-mail lists that appear to be more noise than signal. But then

once

in a while something interesting comes along.

I've noticed that some people post once or twice when they first

join, then never again.

Get the one you

really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

Guest guest

I haven't looked at the bouncing members for a while. There were not

that many of them when I did look - and no - I don't have time to

weed them out.

We have had several surveys on various topics, including where we

live, but I can't remember when we last did it. Normally when

someone starts a survey, all the normal people answer, but not the

lurkers.

The majority of members are in America, so maybe if anyone is in

Atlanta they can let you know.

Jo

t , " qweiop75 " <qweiop75 wrote:

>

> , Beatriz <searchingalight@> wrote:

> >

> >

> > ... and life is a flow...

> >    ... and it is a matter of vibration...

> >       ... if You are at the same wavelength, You stay, else You

move

> on...

> >

>

>

> sure; yep.

> I'm really interested more in knowing about/hearing from those who

> stayed, rather than knowing why others left. The home page says

there

> are over 1000 members here right now. I suspect that, depending on

how

> often the list owner weeds out the bouncing members, there may

several

> hundred who're bouncing, and another couple of hundred who may not

see

> most of the emails because they've turned off delivery or just dont

> have time to read them all.

>

> And I realize that none of you in the " core " group can read the

minds

> of silent members any more than I can, so....Let me ask this one

> question, which was going to be my next post anyway.

> Has the " where do you live " question been addressed already

> recently? If so, maybe someone will just give me the title as it

was

> listed and I'll do a search for it so you don't all have to read

the

> same posts over again.

>

> I'm about to buy a large house and would like to have a couple of

> housemates who're vegan, and I'd really like to know:

> is anyone here in the Atlanta metro area?

>

> Or about to be?

> Or wants to be?

>

> Even if you're not looking for a living situation but want to

connect,

> that would be good too.

>

> okee dokee.

> thx!

>

Guest guest

Hi Stephen

Vegans don't generally like chatting about raising animals for food,

killing them, eating them, meat-recipes, raising animals for dairy,

eggs, etc. They don't appreciate recipes using any animal

ingredients.

I think it is pretty much what you would expect amongst a group of

vegans.

I personally like heavy metal, Doctor Who, Paganism and the

paranormal, photography, gardening, gentle walks etc.

What do you like?

Jo

, stephen hawkey <stedhawk

wrote:

>

> What subjects would be offensive to vegans that for example

wouldnt be offensive to meat eaters I dont really get what subject I

couldnt talk about because of my dietary preferences??

> Steve

>

> --- On Wed, 25/6/08, jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

>

> jo <jo.heartwork

> Re: Question about amt. of " viable " members

here

>

> Wednesday, 25 June, 2008, 10:47 PM

>

The aim of the group is to be able to chat about anything, as long

as it is not offensive to vegans, so therefore, our chats are often

about other subjects.  If anyone wishes to start topics on food etc.

please do.

>  

> Jo

>  

>

> -

> yarrow

> @gro ups.com

> Wednesday, June 25, 2008 9:53 PM

here

>

>

>

> At 8:10 PM +0000 6/25/08, qweiop75 wrote:

> >....then I checked the archives back a year and saw that it's been

the

> >same three people posting most of the time. There's nothing at all

> >wrong with that, & I " ve had plenty of interests in some of the

> >from those three folks, but it just makes me wonder where the other

> >1000+ people are. Okay, so I did see a post or two here and there

> >from names that weren't PeterVV, fraggle or Jo (handwerk), but

since

> >the membership is closed to look at, I'm curious as to how many

> >members are in the bouncing list, and how many are " really " here,

and

> >why we aren't hearing from the others.

>

> Sometimes it *does* look like a private conversation among those

> three (usually not about veg topics), so if anyone else does post,

it

> gets lost. Some days 50 or more messages get filtered into the

> veg-chat box, and when the volume is that high, often I don't have

> time to look at them. That's when I think I ought to weed out some

> e-mail lists that appear to be more noise than signal. But then

once

> in a while something interesting comes along.

>

> I've noticed that some people post once or twice when they first

> join, then never again.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

________

> Not happy with your email address?.

> Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses

available now at http://uk.docs./ymail/new.html

>

Guest guest

LOL - that's probably because we like chatting - and it is a chat

group :-)

In the other groups I moderate, and those where I am a member, there

is a small core of posters.

Maybe if Fraggle, Peter, Peter VV and I stopped posting for a few

days other people might converse. Does anyone (general genuine

question) think that would encourage people to post?

Jo

, Heather Farlow <farjoy2 wrote:

>

> Sometimes it's not that the other people in this group don't want

to post, its just that we don't know what to say. If someone other

then the 4 main members of this group post something, it usually

turns into a conversation between the 4 main people, and that can be

intimidating. I think if someone posted a survey or a question not

directed at one person (which is how it is quite often) then I would

be among the first to reply. Just my opinion--Heather

>

>

>

> fraggle <EBbrewpunx

>

> Wednesday, June 25, 2008 7:00:33 PM

here

>

>

> sorry you feel that way Yarrow...

> anyone here is welcome to post anything they like, as long as it

isn't vicious or likewise.

> peter, peter vv, jo, and i have been here a long time. so, we chat.

we bring up things that might interest anyone in the group. if you

(or anyone) wants to talk about a subject, please please please feel

free.

>

>

>

>

> yarrow

> Jun 25, 2008 1:53 PM

> @gro ups.com

here

>

>

> At 8:10 PM +0000 6/25/08, qweiop75 wrote:

> >....then I checked the archives back a year and saw that it's been

the

> >same three people posting most of the time. There's nothing at all

> >wrong with that, & I " ve had plenty of interests in some of the

> >from those three folks, but it just makes me wonder where the other

> >1000+ people are. Okay, so I did see a post or two here and there

> >from names that weren't PeterVV, fraggle or Jo (handwerk), but

since

> >the membership is closed to look at, I'm curious as to how many

> >members are in the bouncing list, and how many are " really " here,

and

> >why we aren't hearing from the others.

>

> Sometimes it *does* look like a private conversation among those

> three (usually not about veg topics), so if anyone else does post,

it

> gets lost. Some days 50 or more messages get filtered into the

> veg-chat box, and when the volume is that high, often I don't have

> time to look at them. That's when I think I ought to weed out some

> e-mail lists that appear to be more noise than signal. But then

once

> in a while something interesting comes along.

>

> I've noticed that some people post once or twice when they first

> join, then never again.

>

>

> " We now know that a neo-conservative is an arsonist who sets the

house on fire and six years later boasts that no one can put it

out. " - Bill Moyers

>

Guest guest

I agree with Heather!!

Steve--- On Thu, 26/6/08, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

heartwerk <jo.heartwork Re: Question about amt. of "viable" members here Date: Thursday, 26 June, 2008, 7:59 AM

LOL - that's probably because we like chatting - and it is a chat group :-)In the other groups I moderate, and those where I am a member, there is a small core of posters.Maybe if Fraggle, Peter, Peter VV and I stopped posting for a few days other people might converse. Does anyone (general genuine question) think that would encourage people to post?Jo@gro ups.com, Heather Farlow <farjoy2 > wrote:>> Sometimes it's not that the other people in this group don't want to post, its just that we don't know what to say. If someone other then the 4 main members of this group post something, it usually turns into a conversation between the 4 main people, and that can be intimidating. I think if someone posted a survey or a question not directed at one person (which is how

it is quite often) then I would be among the first to reply. Just my opinion--Heather> > > > fraggle <EBbrewpunx@ ...>> @gro ups.com> Wednesday, June 25, 2008 7:00:33 PM> Re: Question about amt. of "viable" members here> > > sorry you feel that way Yarrow...> anyone here is welcome to post anything they like, as long as it isn't vicious or likewise.> peter, peter vv, jo, and i have been here a long time. so, we chat. we bring up things that might interest anyone in the group. if you (or anyone) wants to talk about a subject, please please please feel free.> > > > > yarrow > Jun 25, 2008 1:53 PM >

@gro ups.com > Re: Question about amt. of "viable" members here > > > At 8:10 PM +0000 6/25/08, qweiop75 wrote:> >....then I checked the archives back a year and saw that it's been the> >same three people posting most of the time. There's nothing at all> >wrong with that, & I"ve had plenty of interests in some of the posts> >from those three folks, but it just makes me wonder where the other> >1000+ people are. Okay, so I did see a post or two here and there> >from names that weren't PeterVV, fraggle or Jo (handwerk), but since> >the membership is closed to look at, I'm curious as to how many> >members are in the bouncing list, and how many are "really" here, and> >why we aren't hearing from the others.> > Sometimes it *does* look like a private conversation

among those > three (usually not about veg topics), so if anyone else does post, it > gets lost. Some days 50 or more messages get filtered into the > veg-chat box, and when the volume is that high, often I don't have > time to look at them. That's when I think I ought to weed out some > e-mail lists that appear to be more noise than signal. But then once > in a while something interesting comes along.> > I've noticed that some people post once or twice when they first > join, then never again.> > > "We now know that a neo-conservative is an arsonist who sets the house on fire and six years later boasts that no one can put it out." - Bill Moyers>

Guest guest

Hi qweiop (BTW, should we think of you as qweiop, or as something else? :-))

Just firstly thought I'd take note of how many people actually post - in my

inbox this morning, there are actually posts from 10 different members of

the list, so as a straw poll, we seem to have a few currently active

members... and from experience on other lists, it is usually a limited

number who post with a big majority of lurkers, so I think in that respect

we are in fairly healthy shape...

> And I realize that none of you in the " core " group can read the minds

> of silent members any more than I can, so....Let me ask this one

> question, which was going to be my next post anyway.

> Has the " where do you live " question been addressed already

> recently? If so, maybe someone will just give me the title as it was

> listed and I'll do a search for it so you don't all have to read the

> same posts over again.

It comes up ocassionally - not sure of the last time, but I'm happy to kick

it off again... I'm from South West England :-)

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Heather

> Sometimes it's not that the other people in this group don't want to post, its just that we don't know what to say. If someone other then the 4 main members of

> this group post something, it usually turns into a conversation between the 4 main people, and that can be intimidating. I think if someone posted a survey or a

> question not directed at one person (which is how it is quite often) then I would be among the first to reply. Just my opinion--Heather

It's an interesting perspective, and quite different to my own.

I notice that every day we get around 15 different news articles posted by people. Maybe once or twice a week, these are accompanied by a comment directed at an individual. Similarly we get a good dozen new members each week, many of whom post questions hoping to find help with vegan issues (or other issues), and people answer.

What then happens is, that the people who have comments directed towards them are generally courteous enough to reply to those comments. People who have a good knowledge base reply to those posts directly asking questions. The articles are more often than not ignored (at least in terms of responses).

Whenever someone posts a "newbie" message (i.e. hi, I'm here sort of thing), they get at least 6 welcome messages back each time. Some of them then join in, others don't. This is very different to most lists I've been on, where new people are either ignored or actively shunned.

However, as with any long-standing group, be it virtual or physical, if you want to be an active part of it, you have to actually make an effort to join in. It's no good sitting in the background watching everything happen, and then complain that a few people are more socially active than others.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

I really don't think so - I think it would be much more likely that you'd juist have a dearth of people not posting, or not sure what to say, and one of the appeals of this board is that it doesn't have that sort of pressurised feel - not normally anyway.

For my part I have no qualms about barging into a conversation with my opinions! I just don't post so much because of my working hours and time differences - a lot of the action here happens while I'm away from the computer and there's only so much catch-up that I can do. I don't think that's a bad thing, though, and it's not like we can't have more than one active thread on the board.

Gaya x

On 6/26/08, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

LOL - that's probably because we like chatting - and it is a chat group :-)In the other groups I moderate, and those where I am a member, there is a small core of posters.Maybe if Fraggle, Peter, Peter VV and I stopped posting for a few

days other people might converse. Does anyone (general genuine question) think that would encourage people to post?Jo , Heather Farlow <farjoy2 wrote:

>> Sometimes it's not that the other people in this group don't want to post, its just that we don't know what to say. If someone other then the 4 main members of this group post something, it usually

turns into a conversation between the 4 main people, and that can be intimidating. I think if someone posted a survey or a question not directed at one person (which is how it is quite often) then I would be among the first to reply. Just my opinion--Heather

> > > > fraggle <EBbrewpunx>

> Wednesday, June 25, 2008 7:00:33 PM> Re: Question about amt. of " viable " members here> > > sorry you feel that way Yarrow...> anyone here is welcome to post anything they like, as long as it

isn't vicious or likewise.> peter, peter vv, jo, and i have been here a long time. so, we chat. we bring up things that might interest anyone in the group. if you (or anyone) wants to talk about a subject, please please please feel

free.> > > >

> yarrow > Jun 25, 2008 1:53 PM > @gro ups.com > Re: Question about amt. of " viable " members

here > > > At 8:10 PM +0000 6/25/08, qweiop75 wrote:> >....then I checked the archives back a year and saw that it's been the> >same three people posting most of the time. There's nothing at all

> >wrong with that, & I " ve had plenty of interests in some of the posts> >from those three folks, but it just makes me wonder where the other> >1000+ people are. Okay, so I did see a post or two here and there

> >from names that weren't PeterVV, fraggle or Jo (handwerk), but since> >the membership is closed to look at, I'm curious as to how many> >members are in the bouncing list, and how many are " really " here,

and> >why we aren't hearing from the others.> > Sometimes it *does* look like a private conversation among those > three (usually not about veg topics), so if anyone else does post,

it > gets lost. Some days 50 or more messages get filtered into the > veg-chat box, and when the volume is that high, often I don't have > time to look at them. That's when I think I ought to weed out some

> e-mail lists that appear to be more noise than signal. But then once > in a while something interesting comes along.> > I've noticed that some people post once or twice when they first

> join, then never again.> > > " We now know that a neo-conservative is an arsonist who sets the house on fire and six years later boasts that no one can put it out. " - Bill Moyers

>

--

Ms Madeline J Andersont: 01242 861269m: 07881 623654e: maddy.anderson

-- Ms Madeline J Andersont: 01242 861269m: 07881 623654e: maddy.anderson

Guest guest

Hi Peter / Jo

You've both said similar things, and the answer is an absolute no.... keep posting how ever often you want to post.

If people want to join in, then they are welcomed, and encouraged to do so. If they don't join in when you're posting, they're not going to join in when you're not posting. My suspicion is that this is some sort of virtual "happy slapping" from vegans uncensored - let's face it, they've done it before, and I've no doubt they'll do it again.

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 10:13 PM