IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

For rock fans

Rate this topic

Guest guest

hmm never heard of him/her/them. What do they sound like?

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Wednesday, 23 April, 2008 8:16:33 PMRe: Re: For rock fans

Luca Turilli - The Infinite Wonders of Creation.

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 7:42 PM

Re: Re: For rock fans

I hope you have a good time.

It has all been done to a certain extent, but I just prefer artists that sound just a little individual.

So whats the last album everyone listened to?

me it was Serj Tankian this morning on the way to work.You?

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comTuesday, 22 April, 2008 11:17:26 PMRe: Re: For rock fans

p.p.s. Is there any music with originality? I don't think it has anything to do with getting old, otherwise I would like the same music as you!

We're off to the Opeth/Arch Enemy gig this weekend - neither are your types, I know, but we will thoroughly enjoy it.

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 8:34 PM

I suppose the guitar playing if not original ( Eddie Van Halen spawned a million imitators with their double hammer ons ) is technically proficient, but it just leaves me cold - speed for the sake of it/how fast can you solo has never been my thang. But the song didnt do much for me either, sorry each to their own I suppose, I prefr something with a bit more attitude/originalit y, or maybe I`m just getting old!

What label do they give this type of cock rock? I ask because I have been reading my daughters kerrang magazine , and am amazed by how many types of metal get a genre now.Everything from Dark Metal to Post Industrial metal, jeesh I remember when everything was heavy metal, and all this was trees, and a loaf of Hovis was delivered by a boy on a bike!

Peter H

heartwerk <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comTuesday, 22 April, 2008 7:29:59 AM Re: For rock fans

Hi PeterHere's a link for Dragonforce. If you don't like the excellent vocals, then either marvel at the length of Herman Li's hair, or fast forward to the guitar solos.http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=0jgrCKhxE1s Jo@gro ups.com, Peter VV <swpgh01 > wrote:>> Dont know dragonforce, so only managed to take about a minute of the brass band. Not a fan of brass bands.> > > Peter H > > > > > > heartwerk <jo.heartwork@ ...>> @gro ups.com> Monday, 21 April, 2008 7:57:30 AM> For rock fans> > http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=nSNaN0N_ Crs> > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> Sent from Mail.> A Smarter Email http://uk.docs. / nowyoucan. html>

Sent from Mail. A Smarter Email.

For Good. Give and get cool things for free, reduce waste and help our planet. Plus find hidden treasure

Guest guest

seen this?

http://www.allcdcovers.com/show/79799/criminal_damage_no_solution_2007_retail_cd/back

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Wednesday, 23 April, 2008 8:00:50 PMRe: Re: For rock fans

Criminal Damage LP.......this morning

Peter VV Apr 23, 2008 10:42 AM @gro ups.com Re: Re: For rock fans

It has all been done to a certain extent, but I just prefer artists that sound just a little individual.

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comTuesday, 22 April, 2008 11:17:26 PMRe: Re: For rock fans

p.p.s. Is there any music with originality? I don't think it has anything to do with getting old, otherwise I would like the same music as you!

We're off to the Opeth/Arch Enemy gig this weekend - neither are your types, I know, but we will thoroughly enjoy it.

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

I suppose the guitar playing if not original ( Eddie Van Halen spawned a million imitators with their double hammer ons ) is technically proficient, but it just leaves me cold - speed for the sake of it/how fast can you solo has never been my thang. But the song didnt do much for me either, sorry each to their own I suppose, I prefr something with a bit more attitude/originalit y, or maybe I`m just getting old!

What label do they give this type of cock rock? I ask because I have been reading my daughters kerrang magazine , and am amazed by how many types of metal get a genre now.Everything from Dark Metal to Post Industrial metal, jeesh I remember when everything was heavy metal, and all this was trees, and a loaf of Hovis was delivered by a boy on a bike!

Peter H

heartwerk <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comTuesday, 22 April, 2008 7:29:59 AM Re: For rock fans

Hi PeterHere's a link for Dragonforce. If you don't like the excellent vocals, then either marvel at the length of Herman Li's hair, or fast forward to the guitar solos.http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=0jgrCKhxE1s Jo@gro ups.com, Peter VV <swpgh01 > wrote:>> Dont know dragonforce, so only managed to take about a minute of the brass band. Not a fan of brass bands.> > > Peter H > > > > > > heartwerk <jo.heartwork@ ...>> @gro ups.com> Monday, 21 April, 2008 7:57:30 AM> For rock fans> > http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=nSNaN0N_ Crs> > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> Sent from Mail.> A Smarter Email http://uk.docs. / nowyoucan. html>

What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so.

- Mark Twain

Sent from Mail.

A Smarter Email.

Guest guest

Hi Blake

> sure. i like petrucci, i like the guy in opeth, i like the guitars in lamb of god...but as a player, they don't influence me at all. that's where jazz players

Have to admit to not being a huge fan of Jazz, but a couple of years ago I came across a concert by Stanley Jordan on TV, and was highly impressed with his skills. Fantastic guitarist :-)

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Peter

> Agreed, but the solos use the same techniques that hark back to Eddies with a bit of Schenker thrown in.

So... how exactly would a modern guitarist use techniques which *haven't* been around for decades? I just find it a slightly odd criticism of a group that their guitar solos are influenced by other groups. Now, if they were like Withering Surface, and copied chunks wholesale from their favourite band, I could understand the criticism, but just "they were influenced by a band I like, so they can't be any good" seems sort of odd....

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Peter

> hmm never heard of him/her/them. What do they sound like?

Luca Turilli is the guitarist and main songwriter of the Italian group Rhapsody, who describe themselves as "Epic Symphonic metal". They define their influences as baroque classical, John Williams film soundtracks and heavy rock! Possibly the oddest thing they've done is to release an album with Christopher Lee (yes, the Hammer Horror actor / Saruman / Count Duku / etc...) on lead vocals.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Now that does sound intriguing!

Peter H

Peter <metalscarab Sent: Wednesday, 23 April, 2008 9:15:00 PMRe: Re: For rock fans

Hi Peter

Luca Turilli is the guitarist and main songwriter of the Italian group Rhapsody, who describe themselves as "Epic Symphonic metal". They define their influences as baroque classical, John Williams film soundtracks and heavy rock! Possibly the oddest thing they've done is to release an album with Christopher Lee (yes, the Hammer Horror actor / Saruman / Count Duku / etc...) on lead vocals.

BB

Peter

Sent from Mail.

A Smarter Email.

Guest guest

Just trying to explain, that type of guitar solo to me is all speed and no substance, just leaves me cold. I would rather listen to Freddie King play simple a simple blues solo from the early 60`s than most heavy 90 mile an hour guitarists today.

I grew up with guitarists like Iommi, Page, Blackmore, Hendrix, who had distinct styles and guitar tones. A lot of guitarists today I couldnt tell what guitar they are playing, while years ago I could tell an SG, Tele,Les Paul, Strat and I miss that.

As I said , I am an old man!

Peter H

Peter <metalscarab Sent: Wednesday, 23 April, 2008 9:12:45 PMRe: Re: For rock fans

Hi Peter

> Agreed, but the solos use the same techniques that hark back to Eddies with a bit of Schenker thrown in.

So... how exactly would a modern guitarist use techniques which *haven't* been around for decades? I just find it a slightly odd criticism of a group that their guitar solos are influenced by other groups. Now, if they were like Withering Surface, and copied chunks wholesale from their favourite band, I could understand the criticism, but just "they were influenced by a band I like, so they can't be any good" seems sort of odd....

BB

Peter

Sent from Mail.

A Smarter Email.

Guest guest

He is impressive isnt he.

Peter H

Peter <metalscarab Sent: Wednesday, 23 April, 2008 9:10:18 PMRe: Re: For rock fans

Hi Blake

> sure. i like petrucci, i like the guy in opeth, i like the guitars in lamb of god...but as a player, they don't influence me at all. that's where jazz players

Have to admit to not being a huge fan of Jazz, but a couple of years ago I came across a concert by Stanley Jordan on TV, and was highly impressed with his skills. Fantastic guitarist :-)

BB

Peter

Sent from Mail.

A Smarter Email.

Guest guest

Hi Peter

> Just trying to explain, that type of guitar solo to me is all speed and no substance, just leaves me cold. I would rather listen to Freddie King play simple a simple

> blues solo from the early 60`s than most heavy 90 mile an hour guitarists today.

> I grew up with guitarists like Iommi, Page, Blackmore, Hendrix, who had distinct styles and guitar tones. A lot of guitarists today I couldnt tell what guitar they

> are playing, while years ago I could tell an SG, Tele,Les Paul, Strat and I miss that.

Surprisingly this is something we almost agree on. I enjoy all sorts of music, and I do find a fine dividing line between a good "fast" guitarist, and a "widdler"! There are some great "speed metal" guitarists, and there are some who just want to show off!

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Him (from Rhapsody (now Rhapsody of Fire) - with others performing, of course.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 8:49 PM

hmm never heard of him/her/them. What do they sound like?

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork > Sent: Wednesday, 23 April, 2008 8:16:33 PMRe: Re: For rock fans

Luca Turilli - The Infinite Wonders of Creation.

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 7:42 PM

Peter H

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

For Good. Give and get cool things for free, reduce waste and help our planet. Plus find hidden treasure

Guest guest

..... and on the album I have been listening to, Luca is doing vocals.

Jo

-

Peter

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 9:15 PM

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

Guest guest

I can always tell if it is Dragonforce playing, in fact, I find it reasonably easy to distinguish between most of the guitarists in the speedy metal bands, as they all have their different styles. With reference to the Dragonforce solos that we were discussing - it is not all speed - there is a melody riding the top of it too - the melody picked out by the brass band in the first link I sent!

I can't tell which guitar anyone is playing - doesn't really interest me - it's the result that counts. Some slow guitar is okay, as long as it is pretty or passionate, but I like faster, or heavier stuff generally.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 9:29 PM

Just trying to explain, that type of guitar solo to me is all speed and no substance, just leaves me cold. I would rather listen to Freddie King play simple a simple blues solo from the early 60`s than most heavy 90 mile an hour guitarists today.

I grew up with guitarists like Iommi, Page, Blackmore, Hendrix, who had distinct styles and guitar tones. A lot of guitarists today I couldnt tell what guitar they are playing, while years ago I could tell an SG, Tele,Les Paul, Strat and I miss that.

As I said , I am an old man!

Peter H

Peter <metalscarab > Sent: Wednesday, 23 April, 2008 9:12:45 PMRe: Re: For rock fans

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

Guest guest

dude, i was like, playing Dragonforce...but then like, my elf died....

sorry...heh

thats all i kept thinking while watching that thread....

What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so.

- Mark Twain

Guest guest

the page only partially opened up

but, if this is about the artist and the dog..this was all over the animal rights groups pages and links over here the last few weeks

BUT, i also heard that it was all a bit of a hoax....that the reaction was just what the guy wanted, that the dog wasn't harmed at all, etc and so forth

but, i don't know....

jo Apr 24, 2008 10:22 AM Re: Re: For rock fans

This was forwarded to me :-(

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274983

Jo

- Mark Twain

Guest guest

hA,HA,HA,HA..............

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Sunday, 27 April, 2008 8:05:53 PMRe: Re: For rock fans

dude, i was like, playing Dragonforce. ..but then like, my elf died....

sorry...heh

- Mark Twain

Sent from Mail.

A Smarter Email.

Guest guest

, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

>

> hA,HA,HA,HA..............

>

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

>

>

> fraggle <EBbrewpunx

>

> Sunday, 27 April, 2008 8:05:53 PM

> Re: Re: For rock fans

>

> dude, i was like, playing Dragonforce. ..but then like, my elf

died....

>

> sorry...heh

> thats all i kept thinking while watching that thread....

>

> What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we

know for sure that just ain't so.

> - Mark Twain

>

>

>

> I just finished doing typing excersise, and your mark twain

comment reminded me of that comercial, the more you know the more you

dont Know. But as far as Mark Twain he did write Tom Sawyer and

Hucklberry Finn so he was probley refering to Tom and Huck nosing in,

as were Indian Joe would put it were it's not supposed be so I

say " when you no somthing its who you tell that gets you in or out of

trouble. " _____

> Sent from Mail.

> A Smarter Email http://uk.docs./nowyoucan.html

Guest guest

LOL - at least the dragon is still alive.

Jo

-

fraggle

Sunday, April 27, 2008 8:05 PM

dude, i was like, playing Dragonforce...but then like, my elf died....

sorry...heh

- Mark Twain

Guest guest

Yes, it said that over here as well - so what do we believe ??? :-|

Jo

-

fraggle

Sunday, April 27, 2008 8:17 PM

the page only partially opened up

but, if this is about the artist and the dog..this was all over the animal rights groups pages and links over here the last few weeks

BUT, i also heard that it was all a bit of a hoax....that the reaction was just what the guy wanted, that the dog wasn't harmed at all, etc and so forth

but, i don't know....

jo Apr 24, 2008 10:22 AM Re: Re: For rock fans

This was forwarded to me :-(

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274983

Jo

- Mark Twain