Taco changes

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Okay, not exactly world peace here, but important for this changing

household...

I think I've shared here that I'm a longtime vegetarian and a recent

vegan. I like plant based versions of my favorite foods just fine, from

milk to yogurt. The only exception has been vegan cheese, which I don't

care for. I've got the Uncheese cookbook, which is marvelous for sauces.

Hard-style vegan cheeses, though, seem to be an acquired taste, and I

haven't acquired it.

Here's our solution for tacos, formerly a cheese-heavy dish for us. I

cooked up some of those vegan burger crumbles and got some guacamole at

Trader Joe's. We steamed some corn tacos and filled them with refried

beans, burger crumbles, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, and guacamole. I

topped mine with a Mexican table sauce, and my partner used a salsa.

They were marvelous. The guacamole gave them a smooth texture, and the

crumbles gave them a protein boost and a tasty flavor. The long and

short of it? Another hurdle surmounted in the journey to an

earth-friendlier way of living.

Cheers,

Trish in Portland, OR

Guest guest

Trish,

The taco ingredients sound like a great whole wheat burrito filler also, yum, yum.

Staci in Oregon

On Jan 19, 2008 8:22 AM, Trish Carr <bantrymoon wrote:

Here's our solution for tacos, formerly a cheese-heavy dish for us. I cooked up some of those vegan burger crumbles and got some guacamole at Trader Joe's. We steamed some corn tacos and filled them with refried beans, burger crumbles, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, and guacamole. I topped mine with a Mexican table sauce, and my partner used a salsa.They were marvelous. The guacamole gave them a smooth texture, and the crumbles gave them a protein boost and a tasty flavor. The long and short of it? Another hurdle surmounted in the journey to an earth-friendlier way of living.Cheers,Trish in Portland, OR

Guest guest

never been a cheese fan...be it cow pus or an analog...

we generally just get a product called soy taco, with of course lettuce, tomatoes, maybe avocado..i make chilli, and we call it a day

heh

Staci Doctor Jan 20, 2008 8:38 AM Re: Taco changes

Trish,

The taco ingredients sound like a great whole wheat burrito filler also, yum, yum.

Staci in Oregon

On Jan 19, 2008 8:22 AM, Trish Carr <bantrymoon (AT) comcast (DOT) net> wrote:

Here's our solution for tacos, formerly a cheese-heavy dish for us. I cooked up some of those vegan burger crumbles and got some guacamole at Trader Joe's. We steamed some corn tacos and filled them with refried beans, burger crumbles, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, and guacamole. I topped mine with a Mexican table sauce, and my partner used a salsa.They were marvelous. The guacamole gave them a smooth texture, and the crumbles gave them a protein boost and a tasty flavor. The long and short of it? Another hurdle surmounted in the journey to an earth-friendlier way of living.Cheers,Trish in Portland, OR

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

Confucius

Guest guest

Hi Trish,

Sounds good, shows Milk and cheese just aint neccesary or natural, there are plenty of good natural foods out ther to combine.

IMO Eating analogues invites criticism from meat /cow puss product eaters, just not neccesary.

Peter H

Trish Carr <bantrymoon Sent: Saturday, 19 January, 2008 4:22:10 PM Taco changes

Okay, not exactly world peace here, but important for this changing household...I think I've shared here that I'm a longtime vegetarian and a recent vegan. I like plant based versions of my favorite foods just fine, from milk to yogurt. The only exception has been vegan cheese, which I don't care for. I've got the Uncheese cookbook, which is marvelous for sauces. Hard-style vegan cheeses, though, seem to be an acquired taste, and I haven't acquired it.Here's our solution for tacos, formerly a cheese-heavy dish for us. I cooked up some of those vegan burger crumbles and got some guacamole at Trader Joe's. We steamed some corn tacos and filled them with refried beans, burger crumbles, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, and guacamole. I topped mine with a Mexican table sauce, and my partner used a salsa.They were marvelous. The guacamole gave them a smooth texture, and the crumbles gave them a

protein boost and a tasty flavor. The long and short of it? Another hurdle surmounted in the journey to an earth-friendlier way of living.Cheers,Trish in Portland, OR

Sent from - a smarter inbox.

Guest guest

Don't you eat tofu either?

Jo

, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

>

> Hi Trish,

> Sounds good, shows Milk and cheese just aint neccesary or natural,

there are plenty of good natural foods out ther to combine.

> IMO Eating analogues invites criticism from meat /cow puss product

eaters, just not neccesary.

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

>

>

> Trish Carr <bantrymoon

>

> Saturday, 19 January, 2008 4:22:10 PM

> Taco changes

>

> Okay, not exactly world peace here, but important for this changing

> household...

>

> I think I've shared here that I'm a longtime vegetarian and a

recent

> vegan. I like plant based versions of my favorite foods just fine,

from

> milk to yogurt. The only exception has been vegan cheese, which I

don't

> care for. I've got the Uncheese cookbook, which is marvelous for

sauces.

> Hard-style vegan cheeses, though, seem to be an acquired taste, and

I

> haven't acquired it.

>

> Here's our solution for tacos, formerly a cheese-heavy dish for us.

I

> cooked up some of those vegan burger crumbles and got some

guacamole at

> Trader Joe's. We steamed some corn tacos and filled them with

refried

> beans, burger crumbles, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, and guacamole. I

> topped mine with a Mexican table sauce, and my partner used a salsa.

>

> They were marvelous. The guacamole gave them a smooth texture, and

the

> crumbles gave them a protein boost and a tasty flavor. The long and

> short of it? Another hurdle surmounted in the journey to an

> earth-friendlier way of living.

>

> Cheers,

>

> Trish in Portland, OR

>

>

>

>

>

> ________

> Sent from Mail - a smarter inbox http://uk.mail.

>

Guest guest

Certainly do, it doesnt pretend to be anything other than tofu!, it isnt in a form of a fish finger, a lamb chop, or cow flavoured!

Peter H

heartwerk <jo.heartwork Sent: Monday, 21 January, 2008 7:49:22 AM Re: Taco changes

Don't you eat tofu either?Jo@gro ups.com, Peter VV <swpgh01 > wrote:>> Hi Trish,> Sounds good, shows Milk and cheese just aint neccesary or natural, there are plenty of good natural foods out ther to combine.> IMO Eating analogues invites criticism from meat /cow puss product eaters, just not neccesary.> > Peter H > > > > > > Trish Carr <bantrymoon@ ...>> @gro ups.com> Saturday, 19 January, 2008 4:22:10 PM> Taco changes> > Okay, not exactly world peace

here, but important for this changing > household...> > I think I've shared here that I'm a longtime vegetarian and a recent > vegan. I like plant based versions of my favorite foods just fine, from > milk to yogurt. The only exception has been vegan cheese, which I don't > care for. I've got the Uncheese cookbook, which is marvelous for sauces. > Hard-style vegan cheeses, though, seem to be an acquired taste, and I > haven't acquired it.> > Here's our solution for tacos, formerly a cheese-heavy dish for us. I > cooked up some of those vegan burger crumbles and got some guacamole at > Trader Joe's. We steamed some corn tacos and filled them with refried > beans, burger crumbles, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, and guacamole. I > topped mine with a Mexican table sauce, and my partner used a salsa.> > They were

marvelous. The guacamole gave them a smooth texture, and the > crumbles gave them a protein boost and a tasty flavor. The long and > short of it? Another hurdle surmounted in the journey to an > earth-friendlier way of living.> > Cheers,> > Trish in Portland, OR> > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> Sent from Mail - a smarter inbox http://uk.mail. >

Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Try

it now.

Guest guest

Hi Peter

> Certainly do, it doesnt pretend to be anything other than tofu!, it isnt in a form of a fish finger, a lamb chop, or cow flavoured!

I just don't understand what's wrong with something being fish or cow flavoured. Personally, I used to love the taste of fish and cow, and although they haven't got the tastes quite right yet, I'm very grateful that I can enjoy something approaching the taste without having to go against my ethics.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

but it isn't soya bean shaped either. The other vegan foods you mention are just made into shapes, the same as tofu is a changed shape. I can't see the reason for crowing on about them as though they are bad, when surely all you want is for people to not eat animals. Sausages are not shaped like a pig, fingers are not shaped like a fish - wht is your point?

Jo

-

Peter VV

Monday, January 21, 2008 7:44 PM

Re: Re: Taco changes

Certainly do, it doesnt pretend to be anything other than tofu!, it isnt in a form of a fish finger, a lamb chop, or cow flavoured!

Peter H

heartwerk <jo.heartwork Sent: Monday, 21 January, 2008 7:49:22 AM Re: Taco changes

Don't you eat tofu either?Jo@gro ups.com, Peter VV <swpgh01 > wrote:>> Hi Trish,> Sounds good, shows Milk and cheese just aint neccesary or natural, there are plenty of good natural foods out ther to combine.> IMO Eating analogues invites criticism from meat /cow puss product eaters, just not neccesary.> > Peter H > > > > > > Trish Carr <bantrymoon@ ...>> @gro ups.com> Saturday, 19 January, 2008 4:22:10 PM> Taco changes> > Okay, not exactly world peace here, but important for this changing > household...> > I think I've shared here that I'm a longtime vegetarian and a recent > vegan. I like plant based versions of my favorite foods just fine, from > milk to yogurt. The only exception has been vegan cheese, which I don't > care for. I've got the Uncheese cookbook, which is marvelous for sauces. > Hard-style vegan cheeses, though, seem to be an acquired taste, and I > haven't acquired it.> > Here's our solution for tacos, formerly a cheese-heavy dish for us. I > cooked up some of those vegan burger crumbles and got some guacamole at > Trader Joe's. We steamed some corn tacos and filled them with refried > beans, burger crumbles, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, and guacamole. I > topped mine with a Mexican table sauce, and my partner used a salsa.> > They were marvelous. The guacamole gave them a smooth texture, and the > crumbles gave them a protein boost and a tasty flavor. The long and > short of it? Another hurdle surmounted in the journey to an > earth-friendlier way of living.> > Cheers,> > Trish in Portland, OR> > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> Sent from Mail - a smarter inbox http://uk.mail. >

Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Try it now.

Guest guest

That's a very good point actually, Peter. I was brought up on fish and really loved it. I'm not doing any harm by eating something that tastes similar.

BBJo

-

metalscarab

Monday, January 21, 2008 11:19 PM

Hi Peter

> Certainly do, it doesnt pretend to be anything other than tofu!, it isnt in a form of a fish finger, a lamb chop, or cow flavoured!

I just don't understand what's wrong with something being fish or cow flavoured. Personally, I used to love the taste of fish and cow, and although they haven't got the tastes quite right yet, I'm very grateful that I can enjoy something approaching the taste without having to go against my ethics.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

>>>> IMO Eating analogues invites criticism from meat /cow puss product

eaters, just not neccesary. <<<<

Personally, I don't have a problem with analogs, though I respect others

choices about them. I like the way many of them taste, and even though

they're processed foods they're much easier on the planet than animal

products. I'm glad we have choices. Back in my granola days, when I

first became vegetarian (yeah, that 70s decade) there wasn't much out

there. Now my local mundane supermarket has a fair number of plant-based

foods. It's woo hoo time for this oldtimer.

>>>> Don't you eat tofu either? <<<<

Oh, yes, tofu and tempeh both. You can make some rockin' tacos with

either of them. But when I get home from teaching classrooms overcrowded

with 14 and 15 year olds (my school district has funding issues,) I

don't have the energy or the time to deal with too much from-scratch

cooking. I like analogs because I can throw together a meal very quickly.

It's such a pleasure to chat on this group. Lots of interesting topics.

Cheers,

Trish in Portland, OR

Guest guest

It certainly is woo hoo time :-) Sometimes even non-veggie people

eat these items - it must be good that at least some of their meals

are animal free.

Jo

, Trish Carr <bantrymoon wrote:

>

> >>>> IMO Eating analogues invites criticism from meat /cow puss

product

> eaters, just not neccesary. <<<<

>

> Personally, I don't have a problem with analogs, though I respect

others

> choices about them. I like the way many of them taste, and even

though

> they're processed foods they're much easier on the planet than

animal

> products. I'm glad we have choices. Back in my granola days, when I

> first became vegetarian (yeah, that 70s decade) there wasn't much

out

> there. Now my local mundane supermarket has a fair number of plant-

based

> foods. It's woo hoo time for this oldtimer.

>

> >>>> Don't you eat tofu either? <<<<

>

> Oh, yes, tofu and tempeh both. You can make some rockin' tacos with

> either of them. But when I get home from teaching classrooms

overcrowded

> with 14 and 15 year olds (my school district has funding issues,) I

> don't have the energy or the time to deal with too much from-

scratch

> cooking. I like analogs because I can throw together a meal very

quickly.

>

> It's such a pleasure to chat on this group. Lots of interesting

topics.

>

> Cheers,

>

> Trish in Portland, OR

>

Guest guest

I dont have the time or inclination to cook from scratch either, and most of my meals are frozen, from when I have wild cooking frenzies! I seldom cook one meal at a time as I think its a waste of resources, thats why I batch cook. The meals are probably still a lot healthier than commercially processed ready meals.

Peter H

Trish Carr <bantrymoon Sent: Tuesday, 22 January, 2008 1:49:11 AM Re: Taco changes

>>>> IMO Eating analogues invites criticism from meat /cow puss product eaters, just not neccesary. <<<<Personally, I don't have a problem with analogs, though I respect others choices about them. I like the way many of them taste, and even though they're processed foods they're much easier on the planet than animal products. I'm glad we have choices. Back in my granola days, when I first became vegetarian (yeah, that 70s decade) there wasn't much out there. Now my local mundane supermarket has a fair number of plant-based foods. It's woo hoo time for this oldtimer.>>>> Don't you eat tofu either? <<<<Oh, yes, tofu and tempeh both. You can make some rockin' tacos with either of them. But when I get home from teaching classrooms overcrowded with 14 and 15 year olds (my school district has funding issues,) I don't have the energy or the time to

deal with too much from-scratch cooking. I like analogs because I can throw together a meal very quickly.It's such a pleasure to chat on this group. Lots of interesting topics.Cheers,Trish in Portland, OR

Support the World Aids Awareness campaign this month with for Good

Guest guest

Must be a mindset thing then? I just cant dissasociate the taste of a living animal with cruelty?

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Tuesday, 22 January, 2008 12:17:54 AMRe: Re: Taco changes

That's a very good point actually, Peter. I was brought up on fish and really loved it. I'm not doing any harm by eating something that tastes similar.

BBJo

-

metalscarab

@gro ups.com

Monday, January 21, 2008 11:19 PM

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

it now.

Guest guest

My point is , if you like the taste,texture of animal flesh, then you like the taste and texture of flesh. I cant think of any other way of putting it. My mindset is just that.

Suasages are a traditional flesh product, and the analogues strive to taste and have that texture, simularly do fish/fishless fingers.

Tofu isnt traditionally flavoured or manufactured to mimic flesh ( more like a slab! )

That is my point.

Saying I am crowing on about them isnt very nice or accurate, as I only mentioned it in the previous post, and havent mentioned it for a year! Hardly crowing is it?

And yes I do want people to move to a plant based diet, and not to long for the taste or texture of a slain sentient being.

I hope that helps you understand the way my brain works!

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Tuesday, 22 January, 2008 12:16:01 AMRe: Re: Taco changes

but it isn't soya bean shaped either. The other vegan foods you mention are just made into shapes, the same as tofu is a changed shape. I can't see the reason for crowing on about them as though they are bad, when surely all you want is for people to not eat animals. Sausages are not shaped like a pig, fingers are not shaped like a fish - wht is your point?

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

heartwerk <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comMonday, 21 January, 2008 7:49:22 AM Re: Taco changes

Don't you eat tofu either?Jo@gro ups.com, Peter VV <swpgh01 > wrote:>> Hi Trish,> Sounds good, shows Milk and cheese just aint neccesary or natural, there are plenty of good natural foods out ther to combine.> IMO Eating analogues invites criticism from meat /cow puss product eaters, just not neccesary.> > Peter H > > > > > > Trish Carr <bantrymoon@ ...>> @gro ups.com> Saturday, 19 January, 2008 4:22:10 PM> Taco changes> > Okay, not exactly world peace

here, but important for this changing > household...> > I think I've shared here that I'm a longtime vegetarian and a recent > vegan. I like plant based versions of my favorite foods just fine, from > milk to yogurt. The only exception has been vegan cheese, which I don't > care for. I've got the Uncheese cookbook, which is marvelous for sauces. > Hard-style vegan cheeses, though, seem to be an acquired taste, and I > haven't acquired it.> > Here's our solution for tacos, formerly a cheese-heavy dish for us. I > cooked up some of those vegan burger crumbles and got some guacamole at > Trader Joe's. We steamed some corn tacos and filled them with refried > beans, burger crumbles, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, and guacamole. I > topped mine with a Mexican table sauce, and my partner used a salsa.> > They were

marvelous. The guacamole gave them a smooth texture, and the > crumbles gave them a protein boost and a tasty flavor. The long and > short of it? Another hurdle surmounted in the journey to an > earth-friendlier way of living.> > Cheers,> > Trish in Portland, OR> > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> Sent from Mail - a smarter inbox http://uk.mail. >

Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Try it now.

Guest guest

I have a similar mindset: I don't like the idea of eating

something that is made to look or taste like a dish that's

traditionally made with animals. I also don't want to eat things I

can't identify.

I don't eat out much, but I've noticed a lot of veg restaurants

feature dishes with " mock " something. When I do eat at such

places, the bits of " mock " whatever often get left on the

plate. I don't like the idea of unidentifiable bits in my food,

and I especially don't like the icky flavors of these foodlike

products. I love the taste of vegetables (even okra and brussels

sprouts! but not olives), and I'd rather be eating things I can

identify and that have interesting and subtle tastes of their

own.

Some years ago, I ate at a recently opened asian restaurant that

advertised its vegetarian cuisine. Much of the food was

unidentifiable, and that was unsettling to all four of us. A couple of

us had trouble eating it, in fact, and had to call the waiter back to

make sure it was all plant-based. IIRC, this cuisine started in

buddhist countries and the goal was to make it look and taste as much

like nonveg cuisine as possible, using plants. It was too

successful!

At 8:31 PM +0000 1/22/08, Peter VV wrote:

My point is , if you like the taste,texture of animal flesh, then

you like the taste and texture of flesh. I cant think of any other way

of putting it. My mindset is just that.

Suasages are a traditional flesh product, and the

analogues strive to taste and have that texture, simularly

do fish/fishless fingers.

Tofu isnt traditionally flavoured or manufactured to mimic flesh

( more like a slab! )

That is my point.

Saying I am crowing on about them isnt very nice or accurate, as

I only mentioned it in the previous post, and havent mentioned it for

a year! Hardly crowing is it?

And yes I do want people to move to a plant based diet, and not

to long for the taste or texture of a slain sentient being.

I hope that helps you understand the way my brain works!

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork

Tuesday, 22 January, 2008 12:16:01 AM

?

but it isn't soya bean shaped either. The other vegan foods

you mention are just made into shapes, the same as tofu is a changed

shape. I can't see the reason for crowing on about them as

though they are bad, when surely all you want is for people to not eat

animals. Sausages are not shaped like a pig, fingers are

not shaped like a fish - wht is your point?

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro

ups.com

Certainly do, it doesnt pretend to be anything other than tofu!,

it isnt in a form of a fish finger, a lamb chop, or cow flavoured!

Peter H

heartwerk <jo.heartwork@

gmail.com>

@gro

ups.com

Monday, 21 January, 2008 7:49:22 AM

Re: Taco changes

Don't you eat tofu either?

Jo

@gro

ups.com, Peter VV <swpgh01 > wrote:

>

> Hi Trish,

> Sounds good, shows Milk and cheese just aint neccesary or

natural,

there are plenty of good natural foods out ther to combine.

> IMO Eating analogues invites criticism from meat /cow puss

product

eaters, just not neccesary.

Guest guest

>

> Saying I am crowing on about them isnt very nice or accurate, as I

only mentioned it in the previous post, and havent mentioned it for a

year! Hardly crowing is it?

~~~~ So it's okay for you to say I'm on my 'soapbox' when I post, but

I can't say you are crowing on! Double-standards ........

Jo

> And yes I do want people to move to a plant based diet, and not to

long for the taste or texture of a slain sentient being.

> I hope that helps you understand the way my brain works!

>

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

>

>

> jo <jo.heartwork

>

> Tuesday, 22 January, 2008 12:16:01 AM

> Re: Re: Taco changes

>

> 

> but it isn't soya bean shaped either. The other vegan foods you

mention are just made into shapes, the same as tofu is a changed

shape. I can't see the reason for crowing on about them as though

they are bad, when surely all you want is for people to not eat

animals. Sausages are not shaped like a pig, fingers are not shaped

like a fish - wht is your point?

>

> Jo

> -

> Peter VV

> @gro ups.com

> Monday, January 21, 2008 7:44 PM

>

>

> Certainly do, it doesnt pretend to be anything other than tofu!, it

isnt in a form of a fish finger, a lamb chop, or cow flavoured!

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

>

>

> heartwerk <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>

> @gro ups.com

> Monday, 21 January, 2008 7:49:22 AM

> Re: Taco changes

>

>

> Don't you eat tofu either?

>

> Jo

>

> @gro ups.com, Peter VV <swpgh01@ > wrote:

> >

> > Hi Trish,

> > Sounds good, shows Milk and cheese just aint neccesary or

natural,

> there are plenty of good natural foods out ther to combine.

> > IMO Eating analogues invites criticism from meat /cow puss

product

> eaters, just not neccesary.

> >

> > Peter H

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Trish Carr <bantrymoon@ ...>

> > @gro ups.com

> > Saturday, 19 January, 2008 4:22:10 PM

> > Taco changes

> >

> > Okay, not exactly world peace here, but important for this

changing

> > household...

> >

> > I think I've shared here that I'm a longtime vegetarian and a

> recent

> > vegan. I like plant based versions of my favorite foods just

fine,

> from

> > milk to yogurt. The only exception has been vegan cheese, which I

> don't

> > care for. I've got the Uncheese cookbook, which is marvelous for

> sauces.

> > Hard-style vegan cheeses, though, seem to be an acquired taste,

and

> I

> > haven't acquired it.

> >

> > Here's our solution for tacos, formerly a cheese-heavy dish for

us.

> I

> > cooked up some of those vegan burger crumbles and got some

> guacamole at

> > Trader Joe's. We steamed some corn tacos and filled them with

> refried

> > beans, burger crumbles, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, and guacamole.

I

> > topped mine with a Mexican table sauce, and my partner used a

salsa.

> >

> > They were marvelous. The guacamole gave them a smooth texture,

and

> the

> > crumbles gave them a protein boost and a tasty flavor. The long

and

> > short of it? Another hurdle surmounted in the journey to an

> > earth-friendlier way of living.

> >

> > Cheers,

> >

> > Trish in Portland, OR

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _

> > Sent from Mail - a smarter inbox http://uk.mail.

> >

>

Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Try it

now.

>

>

>

> _________

> Support the World Aids Awareness campaign this month with

For Good http://uk.promotions./forgood/

>

Guest guest

Surely that's your problem then - not a good reason to campaign

against a vegan food that you don't personally like.

Jo

>

> Must be a mindset thing then? I just cant dissasociate the taste of

a living animal with cruelty?

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

>

>

> jo <jo.heartwork

>

> Tuesday, 22 January, 2008 12:17:54 AM

>

> 

> That's a very good point actually, Peter. I was brought up on fish

and really loved it. I'm not doing any harm by eating something that

tastes similar.

>

> BB

> Jo

> -

> metalscarab

> @gro ups.com

> Monday, January 21, 2008 11:19 PM

>

>

> 

> Hi Peter

>

> > Certainly do, it doesnt pretend to be anything other than tofu!,

it isnt in a form of a fish finger, a lamb chop, or cow flavoured!

>

> I just don't understand what's wrong with something being fish or

cow flavoured. Personally, I used to love the taste of fish and cow,

and although they haven't got the tastes quite right yet, I'm very

grateful that I can enjoy something approaching the taste without

having to go against my ethics.

>

> BB

> Peter

>

>

>

> _________

> Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the

answer. Try it

> now.

> http://uk.answers./

>

Guest guest

.... but if some people like that then surely it should be allowed!

It is non-animal, and that surely is the aim of being vegan. I

didn't think there was a pre-set list of foods that one should like

or not like to be a vegan.

Jo

, yarrow wrote:

>

> I have a similar mindset: I don't like the idea of eating something

> that is made to look or taste like a dish that's traditionally made

> with animals. I also don't want to eat things I can't identify.

>

> I don't eat out much, but I've noticed a lot of veg restaurants

> feature dishes with " mock " something. When I do eat at such places,

> the bits of " mock " whatever often get left on the plate. I don't

> like the idea of unidentifiable bits in my food, and I especially

> don't like the icky flavors of these foodlike products. I love the

> taste of vegetables (even okra and brussels sprouts! but not

olives),

> and I'd rather be eating things I can identify and that have

> interesting and subtle tastes of their own.

>

> Some years ago, I ate at a recently opened asian restaurant that

> advertised its vegetarian cuisine. Much of the food was

> unidentifiable, and that was unsettling to all four of us. A couple

> of us had trouble eating it, in fact, and had to call the waiter

back

> to make sure it was all plant-based. IIRC, this cuisine started in

> buddhist countries and the goal was to make it look and taste as

much

> like nonveg cuisine as possible, using plants. It was too

successful!

>

>

>

>

> At 8:31 PM +0000 1/22/08, Peter VV wrote:

> My point is , if you like the taste,texture of animal flesh, then

you

> like the taste and texture of flesh. I cant think of any other way

of

> putting it. My mindset is just that.

> Suasages are a traditional flesh product, and the analogues strive

to

> taste and have that texture, simularly do fish/fishless fingers.

> Tofu isnt traditionally flavoured or manufactured to mimic flesh (

> more like a slab! )

> That is my point.

> Saying I am crowing on about them isnt very nice or accurate, as I

> only mentioned it in the previous post, and havent mentioned it for

a

> year! Hardly crowing is it?

> And yes I do want people to move to a plant based diet, and not to

> long for the taste or texture of a slain sentient being.

> I hope that helps you understand the way my brain works!

>

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

>

> jo <jo.heartwork

>

> Tuesday, 22 January, 2008 12:16:01 AM

>

> ?

> but it isn't soya bean shaped either. The other vegan foods you

> mention are just made into shapes, the same as tofu is a changed

> shape. I can't see the reason for crowing on about them as though

> they are bad, when surely all you want is for people to not eat

> animals. Sausages are not shaped like a pig, fingers are not

shaped

> like a fish - wht is your point?

>

> Jo

>

> -

> <swpgh01Peter VV

> @gro ups.com

> Monday, January 21, 2008 7:44 PM

>

> Certainly do, it doesnt pretend to be anything other than tofu!, it

> isnt in a form of a fish finger, a lamb chop, or cow flavoured!

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

>

> heartwerk <<jo.heartworkjo.heartwork@ gmail.com>

> @gro ups.com

> Monday, 21 January, 2008 7:49:22 AM

> Re: Taco changes

>

> Don't you eat tofu either?

>

> Jo

>

> <%40>@gro

> ups.com, Peter VV <swpgh01@ > wrote:

> >

> > Hi Trish,

> > Sounds good, shows Milk and cheese just aint neccesary or

natural,

> there are plenty of good natural foods out ther to combine.

> > IMO Eating analogues invites criticism from meat /cow puss

product

> eaters, just not neccesary.

>

Guest guest

Hi Peter

> My point is , if you like the taste,texture of animal flesh, then you like the taste and texture of flesh.

Exactly my point.... quite a lot of vegans (myself included) actually do like the taste and texture of animal flesh. I choose not to eat it because I believe it is unethical to do so. Doesn't stop me acknowledging the fact that it actually tastes quite good. As a result, anything which comes close to being able to mimic that taste and texture, but in an ethical way, is something that I am delighted to be able to get hold of!

As to the shapes - when did you last see a sausage or a beefburger running around a field? There are a few basically sensible shapes in which to put food. Just because there were meat versions before vegan versions doesn't mean that we should strive to avoid those shapes. After all, if you don't go for tubular / finger / rectangular / flat, you're going to be wasting a lot of packaging on dodecahedron shaped food!

BB

Peter

Guest guest

thats it...i'm designing a bucky ball shaped vegan main course.....

metalscarab Jan 23, 2008 1:29 AM Re: Re: Taco changes

Hi Peter

> My point is , if you like the taste,texture of animal flesh, then you like the taste and texture of flesh.

Exactly my point.... quite a lot of vegans (myself included) actually do like the taste and texture of animal flesh. I choose not to eat it because I believe it is unethical to do so. Doesn't stop me acknowledging the fact that it actually tastes quite good. As a result, anything which comes close to being able to mimic that taste and texture, but in an ethical way, is something that I am delighted to be able to get hold of!

As to the shapes - when did you last see a sausage or a beefburger running around a field? There are a few basically sensible shapes in which to put food. Just because there were meat versions before vegan versions doesn't mean that we should strive to avoid those shapes. After all, if you don't go for tubular / finger / rectangular / flat, you're going to be wasting a lot of packaging on dodecahedron shaped food!

BB

Peter

Confucius

Guest guest

I'm sure that's a good idea :-) (if I knew what bucky ball was!)

Jo

-

fraggle

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 4:02 PM

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. Confucius

Guest guest

Isn't that what tofurkey is? [ducking and running]

At 8:02 AM -0800 1/23/08, fraggle wrote:

thats it...i'm designing a bucky ball shaped vegan main

course.....

Guest guest

There you go, you admit you like the taste/texture of dead flesh, at least you are honest! A lot of vegans get upset and deny it, glad you`ve some integrity.

Its just something that I choose not to associate with because of what it is........dead flesh analogue.

Me..? I grew up not eating fish, and only having the cheapest bits of animal rarely because we didnt have much money ( and being forced to eat). Add to that that my father was a milkman, and I used to have to deliver the stuff every day, going home smelling of stale milk, meant that I rarely did dairy either, maybe thats why I have always been skinny!

I am not going to go into semantics and argue about the shape of suasages, that would be a silly waste of time and an insult to everyones intelligence. We al know that suasages traditionally contained meat, and fish fingers contained fish, I just think that whilst they are good for vegetarians trying to follow a transition from flesh whilst their palates adjust, I think that manufacturers should show a little more imagination to encourage vegans to buy their food, burgers and suasages? come on its the easy option.

Peter H

metalscarab <metalscarab Sent: Wednesday, 23 January, 2008 9:29:59 AMRe: Re: Taco changes

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

it now.

Guest guest

Hang on Jo, your over reacting here to an innocent post. Not a campaign, just explaining the way my mind works. I wont post again on the subject as it is obviously something you feel very strong about for whatever reason. Each to his or he own, whether it be flesh, mock flesh or non flesh.

Peter H

heartwerk <jo.heartwork Sent: Wednesday, 23 January, 2008 7:38:13 AM Re: Taco changes

Surely that's your problem then - not a good reason to campaign against a vegan food that you don't personally like.Jo@gro ups.com, Peter VV <swpgh01 > wrote:>> Must be a mindset thing then? I just cant dissasociate the taste of a living animal with cruelty?> > Peter H > > > > > > jo <jo.heartwork@ ...>> @gro ups.com> Tuesday, 22 January, 2008 12:17:54 AM> Re: Re: Taco changes> >  > That's a very good point actually, Peter. I was brought up on fish

and really loved it. I'm not doing any harm by eating something that tastes similar.> > BB> Jo> - > metalscarab > @gro ups.com > Monday, January 21, 2008 11:19 PM> Re: Re: Taco changes> > >  > Hi Peter> > > Certainly do, it doesnt pretend to be anything other than tofu!, it isnt in a form of a fish finger, a lamb chop, or cow flavoured!> > I just don't understand what's wrong with something being fish or cow flavoured. Personally, I used to love the taste of fish and cow, and although they haven't got the tastes quite right yet, I'm very grateful that I can enjoy something approaching the taste without having to go against my ethics.> > BB> Peter> > > > ____________ _________

_________ _________ _________ _________ _> Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the answer. Try it> now.> http://uk.answers. />

Guest guest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucky_ball

jo Jan 23, 2008 10:06 AM Re: Re: Taco changes

I'm sure that's a good idea :-) (if I knew what bucky ball was!)

Jo

-

fraggle

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 4:02 PM

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. Confucius

Confucius