IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Bibical beginning

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Simon

> I'd like to think that the original writings were easily understood, even the later translations,I'm sure the Author ment them to be

> easily acessible and easily understood by all, and not seen as a complex piece of literature to be debated,even though it is good

> to look at things from different angles,anyhow the writer makes the over all ideal very clear, I think most people would agree

> if they really read the verses with a clear head.

I don't think it's quite as simple as that. You've got to remember that these passages were written down something like 2,500 years ago, probably transcribed from several centuries of oral tradition in the Middle East, in an era before science and technology, before Christianity and Islam, and possibly even before animal sacrifice had been banned from Judaic religious practice. I don't think it's quite so straight forward as reading an English translation while sat in front of our computer monitors in our Western, Caucasian, Working / Middle class societies (speaking personally here - I obviously don't know enough about you to comment).

BB

Peter

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.381 / Virus Database: 214 - Release 02/08/02

Guest guest

From another list:-

Countryside Alliance march posters are appearing on telegraph poles acrossthe country. Attaching anything to a telegraph pole is illegal under thewireless and telegraph act.BT engineers have requested our assistance in notifying them of any suchoffences. In each case they will notify the publisher and give them 24hours to remove the offending item. If not, they will invoice the publisherfor the cost of a BT engineer's time in removing the item. If the offencescontinue they will prosecute.Please call them free on 154 with as precise a location as possible. Eachpole has a serial number and this will be most useful to them but is notcritical.Finally, make sure you keep a note of the record number they will give youso that you can check progress.The Countryside Alliance have also embarked on a road sign fly postingcampaign, posting large poster sized self-adhesive posters on road signs.This is a serious offence under the road traffic act and the police shouldbe informed immediately if you see such a poster.PLEASE CIRCULATE WIDELY.

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.381 / Virus Database: 214 - Release 02/08/02

Guest guest

, " simonpjones " <simonpjones@o...> wrote:

> Hello Peter

> ,I am more concerned about what is actually written today, rather

then, what the original wording passed through the ages were in their

original form, however I can envisage someone,somewhere, way back in

time, trying to show people it was wrong for animals to be killed.

> I am more interested in what the verses are saying in todays easy

to read sentences,

> I just see a connection between the writer saying,' subdue the

earth and rule or have dominion over the creatures' and the writer

saying,' everything with the breath of life in it should eat the

green plants,' it sounds to me like it is saying we have given some

responsibilty to do some thing on this earth and that there is not

ment to be any animal-eaters around,according to the Author anyway.

>

> ps I'm not sure our cultural or racial origins should stop us from

understanding the sentences of the verses.ie ruling can't mean not

ruling or eating the green plants can't mean eating the animals,that

much ,surly is clear enough to any reader.

> regards Simon

> -

> Peter

>

> Saturday, August 31, 2002 1:21 PM

> Re: Re: Bibical beginning

>

>

> Hi Simon

>

> > I'd like to think that the original writings were easily

understood, even the later translations,I'm sure the Author ment them

to be

> > easily acessible and easily understood by all, and not seen as

a complex piece of literature to be debated,even though it is good

> > to look at things from different angles,anyhow the writer

makes the over all ideal very clear, I think most people would agree

> > if they really read the verses with a clear head.

>

> I don't think it's quite as simple as that. You've got to

remember that these passages were written down something like 2,500

years ago, probably transcribed from several centuries of oral

tradition in the Middle East, in an era before science and

technology, before Christianity and Islam, and possibly even before

animal sacrifice had been banned from Judaic religious practice. I

don't think it's quite so straight forward as reading an English

translation while sat in front of our computer monitors in our

Western, Caucasian, Working / Middle class societies (speaking

personally here - I obviously don't know enough about you to comment).

>

> BB

> Peter

>

>

> ---

> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).

> Version: 6.0.381 / Virus Database: 214 - Release 02/08/02

>

>

Guest guest

Hi Simon

> I am more interested in what the verses are saying in todays easy to read sentences,

I think if this is what we are looking at, then what you are concerned about is actually what the translator meant, rather than the original writer. Of course, each translator will have had their own bias in many different ways - but I have to say I would be surprised if any of them were particularly interested in promoting a vegan agenda! If anything, I would suspect that the translator would prefer to avoid suggesting that we should be vegan, and therefore if he/she had seen anything to this effect in the words, the would likely have translated it slightly differently.

> ps I'm not sure our cultural or racial origins should stop us from understanding the sentences of the verses.ie ruling can't mean

> not ruling or eating the green plants can't mean eating the animals,that much ,surly is clear enough to any reader.

I don't think it's quite that simple. As Savatage say "I believe that situations all depend on circumstance" - I don't see that it is possible to fully understand the meaning of any writing unless you have some concept of the circumstances in which the writer lives - and that goes as much for the Bible as it does for modern newspapers!

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hello Peter

,I am more concerned about what is actually written today, rather then, what the original wording passed through the ages was in their original form, however I can envisage someone,somewhere, way back in time, trying to show people it was wrong for animals to be killed.

I am more interested in what the verses are saying in todays easy to read sentences,

I just see a connection between the writer saying,' subdue the earth and rule or have dominion over the creatures' and the writer saying,' everything with the breath of life in it should eat the green plants,' it sounds to me like it is saying we have given some responsibilty to do some thing on this earth and that there is not ment to be any animal-eaters around,according to the Author anyway.

ps I'm not sure our cultural or racial origins should stop us from understanding the sentences of the verses.ie ruling can't mean not ruling or eating the green plants can't mean eating the animals,that much ,surly is clear enough to any reader.

regards Simon

-

Peter

Saturday, August 31, 2002 1:21 PM

Re: Re: Bibical beginning

Hi Simon

> I'd like to think that the original writings were easily understood, even the later translations,I'm sure the Author ment them to be

> easily acessible and easily understood by all, and not seen as a complex piece of literature to be debated,even though it is good

> to look at things from different angles,anyhow the writer makes the over all ideal very clear, I think most people would agree

> if they really read the verses with a clear head.

I don't think it's quite as simple as that. You've got to remember that these passages were written down something like 2,500 years ago, probably transcribed from several centuries of oral tradition in the Middle East, in an era before science and technology, before Christianity and Islam, and possibly even before animal sacrifice had been banned from Judaic religious practice. I don't think it's quite so straight forward as reading an English translation while sat in front of our computer monitors in our Western, Caucasian, Working / Middle class societies (speaking personally here - I obviously don't know enough about you to comment).

BB

Peter

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.381 / Virus Database: 214 - Release 02/08/02To send an email to -