IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

off topic...this can't be true

Rate this topic

Guest guest

sorry, off topic here..but, i have heard that the FDA is planning on not

allowing gay men to donate sperm!! this has to be a hoax, right?? it has to do

with supposed HIV worries..what a damn joke!!!

please someone tell me this is not true!!!

oh, and , if you want to be sickened, go to vote.com, and go to the " gay "

issues...this country scares me to no end

fraggle

Guest guest

It is absolutely true, we have been discussing it on one of the GLBT chat lists I am on...

Peace, Love, and Grooviness!R-M (the Hippie Dyke)

Visit the Hippie's Commune -- http://www.geocities.com/rmlesbian

Join my -- send mail to HippieDykeCommune- in Houston? - LesBuddiesHouston-

Look for me - AIM - RMLesbian3 or JoplinHippieDyke - RMLesbian or JoplinHippieDyke

"If all lesbians suddenly turned purple today, society would be surprised, at the number of purple people in high places." --Sidney Abbott and Barbara Love, Sappho Was a Right-On Woman, 1972

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." -- Albert Einstein

-

EBbrewpunx

ESI-List ; TFHB ; froggywogg ;

Thursday, February 21, 2002 10:16 AM

sorry, off topic here..but, i have heard that the FDA is planning on not allowing gay men to donate sperm!! this has to be a hoax, right?? it has to do with supposed HIV worries..what a damn joke!!!please someone tell me this is not true!!!oh, and , if you want to be sickened, go to vote.com, and go to the "gay" issues...this country scares me to no endfraggleTo send an email to -

Guest guest

Fraggle

It is very scarey- and Blair seems to want to emulate Bush.

Jo

> sorry, off topic here..but, i have heard that the FDA is planning on not

allowing gay men to donate sperm!! this has to be a hoax, right?? it has to

do with supposed HIV worries..what a damn joke!!!

> please someone tell me this is not true!!!

>

> oh, and , if you want to be sickened, go to vote.com, and go to the " gay "

issues...this country scares me to no end

---

Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).

Version: 6.0.324 / Virus Database: 181 - Release 14/02/02

Guest guest

It also happens to be true in America that any man who has had sex

with another man (or woman who has had sex with a man who has in turn

had sex with another man) since 1970 is not permitted to donate blood

to the Red Cross.

Guest guest

Hi Emie

> It also happens to be true in America that any man who has had sex

> with another man (or woman who has had sex with a man who has in turn

> had sex with another man) since 1970 is not permitted to donate blood

> to the Red Cross.

I believe you also can't give blood in America if you've spent more than 1

month in Britain during the last 15 years!!!!

BB

Peter

---

Guest guest

Also I heard on another list that they won't have blood from English people

unless they have been in the US for over 19 years (something like that

anyway).

Jo

> It also happens to be true in America that any man who has had sex

> with another man (or woman who has had sex with a man who has in turn

> had sex with another man) since 1970 is not permitted to donate blood

> to the Red Cross.

---

Guest guest

How frightening I' ve lived in Britain for the last 15 years . !

Whats going to happen to me ?

Does that mean I shouldn't give blood either -nor any of my work colleagues

? The blood transfusion service is coming to our place of work next Wed.

Shall I tell them not to bother ??????

Angie

-

" Peter " <Snowbow

Saturday, February 23, 2002 10:13 AM

Re: Re: off topic...this can't be true

> Hi Emie

>

>

> I believe you also can't give blood in America if you've spent more than 1

> month in Britain during the last 15 years!!!!

>

> BB

> Peter

>

>

> ---

> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).

> Version: 6.0.324 / Virus Database: 181 - Release 14/02/02

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

Guest guest

Hi Angie,

all you can do is tell these people about it and see how they respond. That

way the ball is in their court ... so to speak.

In Health ... Werner.

> How frightening I' ve lived in Britain for the last 15 years . !

> Whats going to happen to me ?

>

> Does that mean I shouldn't give blood either -nor any of my work

colleagues

> ? The blood transfusion service is coming to our place of work next Wed.

> Shall I tell them not to bother ??????

> Angie

>

Guest guest

The American Blood Transfusion people just think we all have mad cow disease if we live or have lived in the UK, even if we are vegans! It's like those people who think all gays have AIDS, pure bigotry and prejudice.

They are very confused (not all Americans are like this by any means obviously, but those who make the decisions about blood). It's scary the idiots who make important decisions like this, which cost lives if they can't get enough blood. I'm going to give blood again as soon as I am allowed to (the rules say you have to wait a year after having a baby).

Lesley

Angie Wright [angiewright]23 February 2002 23:51 Subject: Re: Re: off topic...this can't be trueHow frightening I' ve lived in Britain for the last 15 years . !Whats going to happen to me ?Does that mean I shouldn't give blood either -nor any of my work colleagues? The blood transfusion service is coming to our place of work next Wed.Shall I tell them not to bother ??????Angie-"Peter" <SnowbowSaturday, February 23, 2002 10:13 AMRe: Re: off topic...this can't be true> Hi Emie>>> I believe you also can't give blood in America if you've spent more than 1> month in Britain during the last 15 years!!!!>> BB> Peter>>> ---> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).> Version: 6.0.324 / Virus Database: 181 - Release 14/02/02>>>> To send an email to - >>

Guest guest

I have American friends who visit the UK every year, but refuse to eat meat over here because of Mad Cow, BSE etc. But if knew the conditions of the slaughterhouses in their own country, I bet they wouldn't eat meat there either!

Janey

x

The American Blood Transfusion people just think we all have mad cow disease if we live or have lived in the UK, even if we are vegans! It's like those people who think all gays have AIDS, pure bigotry and prejudice.

They are very confused (not all Americans are like this by any means obviously, but those who make the decisions about blood). It's scary the idiots who make important decisions like this, which cost lives if they can't get enough blood. I'm going to give blood again as soon as I am allowed to (the rules say you have to wait a year after having a baby).

Lesley

Guest guest

Encourage them to move over here then they will be veggie all the time!!

Lesley

Janey [jane.cuming]24 February 2002 14:35 Subject: Re: Re: off topic...this can't be true

I have American friends who visit the UK every year, but refuse to eat meat over here because of Mad Cow, BSE etc. But if knew the conditions of the slaughterhouses in their own country, I bet they wouldn't eat meat there either!

Janey

x

Lesley

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Mind you I am confused about giving blood. If I give it , it will invariably go to an animal eater. It may even help to keep a hunter alive . If only I could donate to veggies

-

Lesley Dove

Sunday, February 24, 2002 2:29 PM

RE: Re: off topic...this can't be true

decisions like this, which cost lives if they can't get enough blood. I'm going to give blood again as soon as I am allowed to (the rules say you have to wait a year after having a baby).

Lesley

Guest guest

You'll have to tell them !!!

-

Janey

Sunday, February 24, 2002 2:35 PM

Janey

x

Guest guest

I do, don't worry! I'll probably end up losing the friendship over it, because I rant on about this when they keep saying that they steer clear of meat when in London.

Janey

x

-

Angie Wright

Sunday, February 24, 2002 9:04 PM

You'll have to tell them !!!

-

Janey

Sunday, February 24, 2002 2:35 PM

Janey

x

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Harry Bonnie, an ex-boxer I believe, was a Vegan Society member who tried to set up a register of vegan blood donors, so that vegans could donate blood to other vegans. Not sure what happened to that project. Jolly good idea for us to target our help to other vegans especially in preference to animal eaters. I agree Angie, we should help vegans first, then of course vegetarians, and animal eaters lastly. Uh oh, can I hear the cries of you know who from the other list in the distance calling me a fascist for expressing the point of view that we should favour and stand by our own kind? It's about morals and choosing to help those who choose to live more compassionaltely, not choosing who to help on arbitrary grounds such as race or skin colour, so I don't think our view is at all like a fascist view but some vegans think it is! It annoys me that some vegans can't see the difference.

One thing they do if someone is in an accident, to restore blood volume is that they give some stuff called Gelofusine which is produced from gelatine - probably pork not beef, but still unacceptable to us!

I would like to get a special bracelet to say I would rather have an alternative if I ever need it - type O negative blood works for everyone if they don't know your blood type, so they shouldn't have to give gelofusine.

Type O neg is universal donor (can give blood to anyone) and type AB positive is universal recipient (can receive blood from any other type).

I'm A neg which means I could have A neg or O neg only.

I remember I did put myself on Harry's list, does anyone else remember him starting this? It was a few years ago, and I'd like to know what happened.

Lesley

Angie Wright [angiewright]24 February 2002 20:55 Subject: Re: Re: off topic...this can't be true

Mind you I am confused about giving blood. If I give it , it will invariably go to an animal eater. It may even help to keep a hunter alive . If only I could donate to veggies

-

Lesley Dove

decisions like this, which cost lives if they can't get enough blood. I'm going to give blood again as soon as I am allowed to (the rules say you have to wait a year after having a baby).

Lesley

To send an email to -

Guest guest

I remember the idea but assumed it had not got antwhere especially as we cannot choose to whom we give donor organs.

Didn't know about the gelatine!!!

-

Lesley Dove

Sunday, February 24, 2002 11:15 PM

Harry Bonnie, an ex-boxer I believe, was a Vegan Society member who tried to set up a register of vegan blood donors, so that vegans could donate blood to other vegans. Not sure what happened to that project.

One thing they do if someone is in an accident, to restore blood volume is that they give some stuff called Gelofusine which is produced from gelatine - probably pork not beef, but still unacceptable to us!

I remember I did put myself on Harry's list, does anyone else remember him starting this? It was a few years ago, and I'd like to know what happened.

Lesley

Angie Wright [angiewright]24 February 2002 20:55 Subject: Re: Re: off topic...this can't be true

-

Lesley Dove

Lesley

To send an email to -

Guest guest

I believe donating organs is hugely more difficult to arrange matches for, because tissue typing is a more complex matter than blood typing. Might be hard to find veggies and vegans needing organs who match tissue types with the person donating and the organ has to be transplanted very quickly after death or it starts to decay, so no time can be lost. It's probably not practical to give a choice who to donate organs to unfortunately, but I would think the blood donation scheme for veggies or vegans could have worked. I seem to remenber that Harry had trouble with the Blood Transfusion Service, not being willing to cooperate, but don't quote me on that, I might have got it wrong.

Lesley

Angie Wright [angiewright]25 February 2002 06:56 Subject: Re: Re: off topic...this can't be true

I remember the idea but assumed it had not got antwhere especially as we cannot choose to whom we give donor organs.

-

Lesley Dove

Harry Bonnie, an ex-boxer I believe, was a Vegan Society member who tried to set up a register of vegan blood donors, so that vegans could donate blood to other vegans. Not sure what happened to that project.

Lesley

-

Lesley Dove

Lesley

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Oh well if they didn't cooperate then maybe I won't

-

Lesley Dove

Monday, February 25, 2002 10:12 AM

.. I seem to remenber that Harry had trouble with the Blood Transfusion Service, not being willing to cooperate, but don't quote me on that, I might have got it wrong.

Lesley

Angie Wright [angiewright]25 February 2002 06:56 Subject: Re: Re: off topic...this can't be true

-

Lesley Dove

Lesley

-

Lesley Dove

Lesley

To send an email to -

Guest guest

You would have to ask them I suppose. Don't let me put you off helping other people, I'm still going to give blood when Lucy is over a year old. It's not the fault of those needing blood if the Blood Transfusion Service were uncooperative with Harry's project. By deciding not to give, it makes the wrong people suffer, that's my opinion, but it's up to you.

Lesley

Angie Wright [angiewright]25 February 2002 21:38 Subject: Re: Re: off topic...this can't be true

Oh well if they didn't cooperate then maybe I won't

-

Lesley Dove

Monday, February 25, 2002 10:12 AM

.. I seem to remenber that Harry had trouble with the Blood Transfusion Service, not being willing to cooperate, but don't quote me on that, I might have got it wrong.

Lesley

-

Lesley Dove

Lesley

-

Lesley Dove

Lesley

To send an email to -

Guest guest

I still have to repay what my son needed for his heart operation , but after that I don't know I don't feel I should help to keep animal eaters alive .

Convince me someone

-

Lesley Dove

Monday, February 25, 2002 9:51 PM

.. By deciding not to give, it makes the wrong people suffer, that's my opinion, but it's up to you.

Lesley

Guest guest

Hi Angie

> I still have to repay what my son needed for his heart operation , but after that I don't know I don't feel I should help to keep

> animal eaters alive .

> Convince me someone

I'll give it a go, but must admit I can see both sides to the argument.

I look at it like this - if a vegan needs a blood transfusion, chances are they'll get one from a meat eater. Not ideal for them as I'm sure we'd all rather have vegan blood if given the choice. Therefore, the more vegans give blood, the more chance there is that the suffering vegan will get vegan blood. OK, a few meat eaters are going to benefit as well - but since it's impossible to make that decision as to where your blood goes, it might do some good!

Is that any help?

BB

Peter

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.324 / Virus Database: 181 - Release 14/02/02

Guest guest

Yes I'll do it (tomorrow ) for the vegans I bet there aren't any !!!!

-

Peter

Tuesday, February 26, 2002 5:49 PM

I look at it like this - if a vegan needs a blood transfusion, chances are they'll get one from a meat eater. Not ideal for them as I'm sure we'd all rather have vegan blood if given the choice. Therefore, the more vegans give blood, the more chance there is that the suffering vegan will get vegan blood. OK, a few meat eaters are going to benefit as well - but since it's impossible to make that decision as to where your blood goes, it might do some good!

BB

Peter

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.324 / Virus Database: 181 - Release 14/02/02To send an email to -

Guest guest

Angie

They are just as likely to have car/bike crashes as anyone else.

Jo

Yes I'll do it (tomorrow ) for the vegans I bet there aren't any !!!!

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.324 / Virus Database: 181 - Release 14/02/02

Guest guest

so you would rather condemn someone to death. IMO I wouldn't be able not to give blood just because a meateater may benefit.............to me it's about saving any life.

> I still have to repay what my son needed for his heart operation , but after that I don't know I don't feel I should help to keep

> animal eaters alive .

> Convince me someone

Guest guest

But if the hunan being is a vivisector I wouldn't want to save his /her life . More lives would be saved if animal abusers were not still alive .

-

shelloid

Wednesday, February 27, 2002 3:59 PM

so you would rather condemn someone to death. IMO I wouldn't be able not to give blood just because a meateater may benefit.............to me it's about saving any life.

> animal eaters alive .

> Convince me someone

To send an email to -