IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

England smoke ban to start 1 July

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Sharon

I'm glad you could drop in :-)

I smoked - gave it up 33 years ago. I was raised in a smoking family, and when I was a kid most people smoked. I shall be glad when there is no smoking here.

Jo

-

Shhhhh

Tuesday, December 05, 2006 4:07 PM

Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July

Gosh, is there any other way to live? I remember when you would walk through the grocery store and there would be people smoking. My dad, who died of complications of lung cancer and emphysema, was allowed to smoke in the hospital on his death bed. But no smoking in public places has been the law in California for so long now I can't imagine it being any other way. I admit to being a former smoker, but even passing someone smoking on the street bothers me. I loved Las Vegas, but seriously the smoke will almost kill you.

peace,

sharonfraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

and all my english friends would come over and complain righteously about california's no -smoking laws....they are absolutely livid right now...>heartwerk <jo.heartwork >>Nov 30, 2006 11:33 PM> > England smoke ban to start 1 July>>Yay - whoooowhooooo - brilliant. No more sore throats and lungs >after concerts!>>Jo> >The government says 600,000 people will quit as a result >Smoking in enclosed public places will be banned in England from 1 >July next year, the government has announced. >The ban covers virtually all enclosed public places including >offices, factories, pubs and bars, but not outdoors or in private >homes. >>It follows similar bans in the Irish Republic and Scotland - a ban in >Wales starts on 2 April. >>Ministers say it will protect everyone from passive smoking, but >opponents say the total ban is "draconian". >>From 1 July pubs and restaurants will have to display prominent "no >smoking" signs around their premises. >>Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt said the ban was a "huge step >forward" which would save thousands of people's lives. >>The cost of implementing the ban has been estimated at about £50m. >>Medical evidence >>Ms Hewitt said the ban would protect everyone from second-hand smoke, >while making it easier for smokers to quit. >>"The scientific and medical evidence is clear - second-hand smoke >kills, causing a range of serious medical conditions including lung >cancer, heart disease, and sudden infant death syndrome," she said. >>"This legislation will help to prevent the unnecessary deaths caused >every year from second-hand smoke, and recognises that there is >absolutely no safe level of exposure." >> SMOKING BANS >Irish Republic: March 2004>Scotland: March 2006>Northern Ireland: April 2007>Wales: April 2007>England: July 2007 >>The government predicts about 600,000 people will give up smoking as >a result of the law change. >>The news was welcomed by health campaigners. Dame Helena Shovelton, >chief executive of the British Lung Foundation, said: "This is a >victory for all those of us who have campaigned so vigorously to >improve public health." >>She said it would reduce the death toll linked to smoking and that >tens of thousands of people with lung disease would once again be >able to visit pubs and restaurants. >>Cancer Research UK chief, Prof Alex Markham, said 1 July would be >an "historic day". >>"Making workplaces and enclosed public places smoke free will bring >about some of the most significant health improvements the country >has seen in decades," he said. >> [it's] typical of a government that seems determined to interfere >in every aspect of our daily lives >>Simon Clark,>Forest lobby group>>>Send us your comments >>British Beer and Pub Association boss, Rob Hayward, welcomed the >announcement, saying it gave businesses "greater clarity" and would >allow them to prepare their customers for the changes. >>The Cabinet originally proposed prohibiting smoking only in pubs >serving food, in line with Labour's election manifesto - but MPs >eventually backed a total ban in enclosed public spaces in a free >vote. >>Simon Clark, director of the smokers' lobby group Forest, said that >decision had been "draconian". >>"From July next year it will not only be illegal to smoke in every >pub, club and bar in the country, it will also be impossible to set >up a private club run by smokers for smokers," he said. >>"That's an amazing state of affairs but typical of a government that >seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives." >>The health secretary is also launching a Smokefree England campaign, >to advise England's 3.7m businesses to prepare for the ban. >>>> >>>>>To send an email to - >

Guest guest

When I used to smoke it was purely socially ( sic ), and always felt like a fag when I was in a pub and my mates were smoking. So possibly the wrong place to go to try to give up? The Valley Vegan..............jo <jo.heartwork wrote: Hi Louis Is it not possible for you to go into a pub and not smoke? Why do you go to the pub? I presume you go

for either or both of two reasons - one - to have a drink - two - to meet socially with people. You do not have to smoke to do either of those things. Jo - louis stott Monday, December 04, 2006 7:15 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo no no no no no no no no

no no no no no no no no............. yes i still think we should have 2 sorts of pubs most staff who i now who work in pubs yes PUBS smoke smoke smoke smoke i do not think my habit is pain at toll louisjo <jo.heartwork > wrote: It would not be a good idea to have two sorts of pubs because people still have to work in them and why should they be exposed to everyone else's smoke. Smoking is not a necessity - it doesn't even make life easier. It's about time to be honest Louis and admit that your habit is a pain in the neck to a lot of other people, and very dangerous

for them too. Jo - louis stott Sunday, December 03, 2006 11:01 AM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo i do see your point sort off . but why cart we have 2 sorts of pubs i.e smokers and no smokers ones EASY EVER ONE HAPPY LOUISjo <jo.heartwork > wrote: That doesn't mean that it is something I should have to put up with. Jo - louis stott Saturday, December 02, 2006 4:15

PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo smokein is not the only thing thats kills you breath in walkin in hi street where all the cars smoke out i think we should have smokers pubs and non smokers pubs we smokers are not the { only } smoke what killsGeraldine McCarthy <geraldine.mccarthy (AT) tesco (DOT) net> wrote: Hi Jo, I too lost two relatives to lung cancer due to smoking - my father and my uncle :(

I have a sister who like me has never smoked, unfortunately my brother has smoked from quite an early age. When talking to my brother at times I say to him please give up smoking. I do this in a non-judgemental way, as I know that stopping smoking is a very hard thing to do - as I have been told it is one of the worst drugs to come off. Yes, afterall it is a drug to one's body! Let's be honest here the government makes a lot of money from people smoking! People get hooked - they are then left with the consequences! I look forward to this ban on smoking. My

husband who doesn't smoke who once a week goes to play pool comes home smelling of smoke - It will be nice to know that in the future this will not be the case :) Teresa - jo Friday, December 01, 2006 5:13 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July Sorry to sound brusque Louis - but I would prefer you and other smokers not to kill me. I have had a mother and uncle die of lung cancer, and it is a very nasty way to go. If you want to take the chance of killing yourself that is your choice, but I don't see why smokers should pollute the environment for everyone else. Jo - louis stott Friday, December 01, 2006 8:39

AM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July this is very sad for us smokers all it means that we shall have to go the parks etc for a fag heartwerk <jo.heartwork > wrote: Yay - whoooowhooooo - brilliant. No more sore throats and lungs after concerts!JoThe government says 600,000 people will quit as a result Smoking in enclosed public places will be banned in England from 1 July next year, the government has announced. The ban covers virtually all enclosed public places including offices, factories, pubs and bars, but not outdoors or in private homes. It follows similar bans in the Irish Republic and Scotland - a ban in Wales starts on 2

April. Ministers say it will protect everyone from passive smoking, but opponents say the total ban is "draconian". From 1 July pubs and restaurants will have to display prominent "no smoking" signs around their premises. Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt said the ban was a "huge step forward" which would save thousands of people's lives. The cost of implementing the ban has been estimated at about £50m. Medical evidence Ms Hewitt said the ban would protect everyone from second-hand smoke, while making it easier for smokers to quit. "The scientific and medical evidence is clear - second-hand smoke kills, causing a range of serious medical conditions including lung cancer, heart disease, and sudden infant death syndrome," she said. "This legislation will help to prevent the unnecessary deaths caused every year from second-hand smoke, and recognises that there is absolutely no safe

level of exposure." SMOKING BANS Irish Republic: March 2004Scotland: March 2006Northern Ireland: April 2007Wales: April 2007England: July 2007 The government predicts about 600,000 people will give up smoking as a result of the law change. The news was welcomed by health campaigners. Dame Helena Shovelton, chief executive of the British Lung Foundation, said: "This is a victory for all those of us who have campaigned so vigorously to improve public health." She said it would reduce the death toll linked to smoking and that tens of thousands of people with lung disease would once again be able to visit pubs and restaurants. Cancer Research UK chief, Prof Alex Markham, said 1 July would be an "historic day". "Making workplaces and enclosed public places smoke free will bring about some of the most significant health improvements the country has seen in decades," he said.

[it's] typical of a government that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives Simon Clark,Forest lobby groupSend us your comments British Beer and Pub Association boss, Rob Hayward, welcomed the announcement, saying it gave businesses "greater clarity" and would allow them to prepare their customers for the changes. The Cabinet originally proposed prohibiting smoking only in pubs serving food, in line with Labour's election manifesto - but MPs eventually backed a total ban in enclosed public spaces in a free vote. Simon Clark, director of the smokers' lobby group Forest, said that decision had been "draconian". "From July next year it will not only be illegal to smoke in every pub, club and bar in the country, it will also be impossible to set up a private club run by smokers for smokers," he said. "That's an amazing state of affairs but typical of

a government that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives." The health secretary is also launching a Smokefree England campaign, to advise England's 3.7m businesses to prepare for the ban. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Guest guest

hi bb peter well how i think it would work is easy i think anyway i would get a vote on everone in that pub who use it ever day and the see from that i do know of 2 pubs { no names lo } who are goin to stay at smokers bars no matter what but the owner says he will stay as long as he gets ALL THE SUPORT OF US THE SMOKERS louisPeter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Louis I think there is one major flaw with the idea. Until recently, all pubs have been allowed to choose to be no smoking venues, but none have. So, how would your idea work? How would you choose which venues to make no smoking, and which to make smoking? In terms of staff in pubs - of course most of the staff smoke. That's because most non-smokers can't stand working in a smokey atmosphere, so they are effectively barred from working in those places. Give it 10 years, and I can guarantee that there will be a more representative mix of smokers and non-smokers amongst bar staff. BB Peter -

louis stott Monday, December 04, 2006 7:15 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no............. yes i still think we should have 2 sorts of pubs most staff who i now who work in pubs yes PUBS smoke smoke smoke smoke i do not think my habit is pain at toll louisjo <jo.heartwork >

wrote: It would not be a good idea to have two sorts of pubs because people still have to work in them and why should they be exposed to everyone else's smoke. Smoking is not a necessity - it doesn't even make life easier. It's about time to be honest Louis and admit that your habit is a pain in the neck to a lot of other people, and very dangerous for them too. Jo - louis

stott Sunday, December 03, 2006 11:01 AM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo i do see your point sort off . but why cart we have 2 sorts of pubs i.e smokers and no smokers ones EASY EVER ONE HAPPY LOUISjo <jo.heartwork > wrote: That doesn't mean that it is something I should have to put up with. Jo - louis stott Saturday, December 02, 2006 4:15 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo smokein is not the only thing thats kills you breath in walkin in hi street where all the cars smoke out i think we should have smokers pubs and non smokers pubs we smokers are not the { only

} smoke what killsGeraldine McCarthy <geraldine.mccarthy (AT) tesco (DOT) net> wrote: Hi Jo, I too lost two relatives to lung cancer due to smoking - my father and my uncle :( I have a sister who like me has never smoked, unfortunately my brother has smoked from quite an early age. When talking to my brother at times I say to him please give up smoking. I do this in a non-judgemental way, as I know that stopping smoking is a very hard thing to do - as

I have been told it is one of the worst drugs to come off. Yes, afterall it is a drug to one's body! Let's be honest here the government makes a lot of money from people smoking! People get hooked - they are then left with the consequences! I look forward to this ban on smoking. My husband who doesn't smoke who once a week goes to play pool comes home smelling of smoke - It will be nice to know that in the future this will not be the case :) Teresa -----

Original Message ----- jo Friday, December 01, 2006 5:13 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July Sorry to sound brusque Louis - but I would prefer you and other smokers not to kill me. I have had a mother and uncle die of lung cancer, and it is a very nasty way to go. If you want to take the chance of killing yourself that is your choice, but I don't see why smokers should pollute the environment for everyone else. Jo - louis stott Friday, December 01, 2006 8:39 AM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July this is very sad for us smokers all it means that we shall have to go the parks etc for a fag heartwerk <jo.heartwork > wrote: Yay - whoooowhooooo - brilliant. No more sore throats and lungs after concerts!JoThe government says 600,000 people will quit as a result Smoking in enclosed public places will be banned in England from 1 July next year, the government has announced. The ban covers virtually all enclosed public places including offices, factories, pubs and bars, but not outdoors or in private homes. It follows similar bans in the Irish Republic and Scotland - a ban in Wales starts on 2 April. Ministers say it will protect everyone from passive smoking, but opponents say the total ban is "draconian". From 1 July pubs and restaurants will have to display prominent "no smoking" signs around their premises. Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt said the ban was a "huge step forward" which would save thousands of people's lives. The cost of

implementing the ban has been estimated at about £50m. Medical evidence Ms Hewitt said the ban would protect everyone from second-hand smoke, while making it easier for smokers to quit. "The scientific and medical evidence is clear - second-hand smoke kills, causing a range of serious medical conditions including lung cancer, heart disease, and sudden infant death syndrome," she said. "This legislation will help to prevent the unnecessary deaths caused every year from second-hand smoke, and recognises that there is absolutely no safe level of exposure." SMOKING BANS Irish Republic: March 2004Scotland: March 2006Northern Ireland: April 2007Wales: April 2007England: July 2007 The government predicts about 600,000 people will give up smoking as a result of the law change. The news was welcomed by health campaigners. Dame Helena Shovelton, chief executive of the British Lung

Foundation, said: "This is a victory for all those of us who have campaigned so vigorously to improve public health." She said it would reduce the death toll linked to smoking and that tens of thousands of people with lung disease would once again be able to visit pubs and restaurants. Cancer Research UK chief, Prof Alex Markham, said 1 July would be an "historic day". "Making workplaces and enclosed public places smoke free will bring about some of the most significant health improvements the country has seen in decades," he said. [it's] typical of a government that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives Simon Clark,Forest lobby groupSend us your comments British Beer and Pub Association boss, Rob Hayward, welcomed the announcement, saying it gave businesses "greater clarity" and would allow them to prepare their customers for the changes.

The Cabinet originally proposed prohibiting smoking only in pubs serving food, in line with Labour's election manifesto - but MPs eventually backed a total ban in enclosed public spaces in a free vote. Simon Clark, director of the smokers' lobby group Forest, said that decision had been "draconian". "From July next year it will not only be illegal to smoke in every pub, club and bar in the country, it will also be impossible to set up a private club run by smokers for smokers," he said. "That's an amazing state of affairs but typical of a government that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives." The health secretary is also launching a Smokefree England campaign, to advise England's 3.7m businesses to prepare for the ban. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Guest guest

hi bb peter well my doc says its asthma so why should he lie to me Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Louis Are you sure you'e not confusing Asthma with something else? When I was a kid I had very mild asthma, and even with that it was impossible to sleep - it's just too painful. BB Peter - louis stott Monday, December 04, 2006 7:08 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo in reply to your email i dont get it bad bad at toll i get it one bout ever 2 mths so thats not bad is it ? i would like to say again to you is i do not take pumps or tabs for this as im vegan all i do when i get it is SLEEP

SLEEP SLEEP AND SLEEP it works for me . as for peters freind thats sad news . louisjo <jo.heartwork > wrote: Hi Louis I think if you can manage without any inhalers you do not have bad asthma. Maybe what you have is something different. My husband gets asthma occasionally. Usually it is okay but a couple of years ago he ended up on steroids for a week. It was frightening to see him - I can only imagine what it felt like - but something like drowning I would imagine. Peter's best friend at school died of asthma when he was about 12. Jo - louis stott Sunday, December 03, 2006 11:08 AM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo good point i know all this but i would like to say

i dont take any pumps tablets for this ever i put up with it , now if i gave up what i could do atnytime i would prob jrink more louis jo <jo.heartwork > wrote: If you think about it Louis -it is particularly silly to smoke if you get asthma. Your poor lungs are already suffering - why put an extra load on them. Jo - louis stott Saturday, December 02, 2006 4:07 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July i would jist like to point out that I HAVE BAD ASTHMA TOO but i smoke up to 30 a day if you dont like the smell go to a pub with out the smokers part , why should i give up for you lot ????Peter <metalscarab > wrote: Hi Teresa (or Geraldine?) >I look forward to this ban on

smoking. My husband who doesn't smoke who once a week goes to play pool comes home smelling of smoke - It will be nice to know that in the future > this will not be the case :) I always dislike smelling of smoke, which until now has always been a result of going to concerts. I also have a friend who has fairly bad asthma, and can't go into smokey atmospheres - I know she is thoroughly looking forward to being able to go to gigs and pubs without putting her life in danger :-) BB Peeter Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Try the all-new Mail . "The New Version is radically easier to use" – The Wall Street Journal Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Guest guest

hi jo so whats the point of havein pubs then ???? peter VV <swpgh01 wrote: When I used to smoke it was purely socially ( sic ), and always felt like a fag when I was in a pub and my mates were smoking. So possibly the wrong place to go to try to give up? The Valley Vegan..............jo <jo.heartwork > wrote: Hi Louis Is it not possible for you to go into a pub and not smoke? Why do you go to the pub? I presume you go for either or both of two reasons - one - to have a drink - two - to meet socially with people. You do not have to smoke to do either of those things. Jo - louis stott Monday, December 04, 2006 7:15 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no............. yes i still think we should have 2 sorts of pubs most staff who i now who work in pubs yes PUBS smoke smoke smoke smoke i do not think my habit is pain at toll louisjo <jo.heartwork > wrote: It would not be a good idea to have two sorts of pubs because people still have to work in them and why should they be exposed to everyone else's smoke. Smoking is not a

necessity - it doesn't even make life easier. It's about time to be honest Louis and admit that your habit is a pain in the neck to a lot of other people, and very dangerous for them too. Jo - louis stott Sunday, December 03, 2006 11:01 AM Re: England smoke

ban to start 1 July hi jo i do see your point sort off . but why cart we have 2 sorts of pubs i.e smokers and no smokers ones EASY EVER ONE HAPPY LOUISjo <jo.heartwork > wrote: That doesn't mean that it is something I should have to put up with. Jo - louis stott Saturday, December 02, 2006 4:15 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo smokein is not the only thing thats kills you breath in walkin in hi street where all the cars smoke out i think we should have smokers pubs and non smokers pubs we smokers are not the { only } smoke what killsGeraldine McCarthy <geraldine.mccarthy (AT) tesco (DOT) net> wrote: Hi

Jo, I too lost two relatives to lung cancer due to smoking - my father and my uncle :( I have a sister who like me has never smoked, unfortunately my brother has smoked from quite an early age. When talking to my brother at times I say to him please give up smoking. I do this in a non-judgemental way, as I know that stopping smoking is a very hard thing to do - as I have been told it is one of the worst drugs to come off. Yes, afterall it is a drug to one's body! Let's be honest here the government makes a lot of money from people smoking! People get hooked - they

are then left with the consequences! I look forward to this ban on smoking. My husband who doesn't smoke who once a week goes to play pool comes home smelling of smoke - It will be nice to know that in the future this will not be the case :) Teresa - jo Friday, December 01, 2006 5:13 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July Sorry to sound brusque Louis - but I would prefer you and other smokers not to kill me. I have had a mother and uncle die of lung cancer, and it is a very nasty way to go. If you want to take the chance of killing yourself that is your choice, but I don't see why smokers should pollute the environment for everyone else. Jo - louis stott Friday, December 01, 2006 8:39 AM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July this is very sad for us smokers all it means that we shall have to go the parks etc for a fag heartwerk <jo.heartwork > wrote: Yay - whoooowhooooo - brilliant. No more sore throats and lungs after concerts!JoThe government says 600,000 people will quit as a result Smoking in enclosed public places will be banned in England from 1 July next year, the government has announced. The ban covers

virtually all enclosed public places including offices, factories, pubs and bars, but not outdoors or in private homes. It follows similar bans in the Irish Republic and Scotland - a ban in Wales starts on 2 April. Ministers say it will protect everyone from passive smoking, but opponents say the total ban is "draconian". From 1 July pubs and restaurants will have to display prominent "no smoking" signs around their premises. Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt said the ban was a "huge step forward" which would save thousands of people's lives. The cost of implementing the ban has been estimated at about £50m. Medical evidence Ms Hewitt said the ban would protect everyone from second-hand smoke, while making it easier for smokers to quit. "The scientific and medical evidence is clear - second-hand smoke kills, causing a range of serious medical conditions including lung cancer,

heart disease, and sudden infant death syndrome," she said. "This legislation will help to prevent the unnecessary deaths caused every year from second-hand smoke, and recognises that there is absolutely no safe level of exposure." SMOKING BANS Irish Republic: March 2004Scotland: March 2006Northern Ireland: April 2007Wales: April 2007England: July 2007 The government predicts about 600,000 people will give up smoking as a result of the law change. The news was welcomed by health campaigners. Dame Helena Shovelton, chief executive of the British Lung Foundation, said: "This is a victory for all those of us who have campaigned so vigorously to improve public health." She said it would reduce the death toll linked to smoking and that tens of thousands of people with lung disease would once again be able to visit pubs and restaurants. Cancer Research UK chief, Prof Alex Markham,

said 1 July would be an "historic day". "Making workplaces and enclosed public places smoke free will bring about some of the most significant health improvements the country has seen in decades," he said. [it's] typical of a government that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives Simon Clark,Forest lobby groupSend us your comments British Beer and Pub Association boss, Rob Hayward, welcomed the announcement, saying it gave businesses "greater clarity" and would allow them to prepare their customers for the changes. The Cabinet originally proposed prohibiting smoking only in pubs serving food, in line with Labour's election manifesto - but MPs eventually backed a total ban in enclosed public spaces in a free vote. Simon Clark, director of the smokers' lobby group Forest, said that decision had been "draconian". "From July next year it will

not only be illegal to smoke in every pub, club and bar in the country, it will also be impossible to set up a private club run by smokers for smokers," he said. "That's an amazing state of affairs but typical of a government that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives." The health secretary is also launching a Smokefree England campaign, to advise England's 3.7m businesses to prepare for the ban. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Peter H Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Guest guest

hi jo in reply to this i have asthma it not bad bad , but i do have it lo my mama has it my nan has it my sister useto have it but still SMOKES THE SOME EVER DAY OF THE WEEK louisjo <jo.heartwork wrote: Hi Louis Once again, I don't know anyone who has asthma that can actually sleep. I'm beginning to think that there are two kinds of asthma, and that

maybeyours is secondary to something else. The asthma I am talking about puts the person in fear of their life because they cannot breathe. Jo - louis stott Monday, December 04, 2006 7:08 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo in reply to your email i dont get it bad bad

at toll i get it one bout ever 2 mths so thats not bad is it ? i would like to say again to you is i do not take pumps or tabs for this as im vegan all i do when i get it is SLEEP SLEEP SLEEP AND SLEEP it works for me . as for peters freind thats sad news . louisjo <jo.heartwork > wrote: Hi Louis I think if you can manage without any inhalers you do not have bad asthma. Maybe what you have is something different. My husband gets asthma occasionally. Usually it is okay but a couple of years ago he ended up

on steroids for a week. It was frightening to see him - I can only imagine what it felt like - but something like drowning I would imagine. Peter's best friend at school died of asthma when he was about 12. Jo - louis stott Sunday, December 03, 2006 11:08 AM Subject:

Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo good point i know all this but i would like to say i dont take any pumps tablets for this ever i put up with it , now if i gave up what i could do atnytime i would prob jrink more louis jo <jo.heartwork > wrote: If you think about it Louis -it is particularly silly to smoke if you get asthma. Your poor lungs are already suffering - why put an extra load on them. Jo -----

Original Message ----- louis stott Saturday, December 02, 2006 4:07 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July i would jist like to point out that I HAVE BAD ASTHMA TOO but i smoke up to 30 a day if you dont like the smell go to a pub with out the smokers part , why should i give up for you lot ????Peter <metalscarab > wrote: Hi Teresa (or Geraldine?) >I look forward to this ban on smoking. My husband who doesn't smoke who once a week goes to play pool comes home smelling of smoke - It will be nice to know that in the future > this will not be the case :) I always dislike smelling of smoke, which until now has always been a result of going to concerts. I also have a friend who has fairly bad asthma, and can't go into smokey atmospheres - I know she is thoroughly looking forward to being able to go to gigs and pubs without putting her life in danger :-) BB Peeter Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Try the all-new Mail . "The New Version is radically easier to use" – The Wall Street Journal

Inbox full of spam? Get leading spam protection and 1GB storage with All New Mail.

Guest guest

jo sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad you make me cry for you jo <jo.heartwork wrote: Hi Sharon I'm glad you could drop in :-) I smoked - gave it up 33 years ago. I was raised in a smoking family, and when I was a kid most people smoked. I shall be glad when there is no

smoking here. Jo - Shhhhh Tuesday, December 05, 2006 4:07 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July Gosh, is there any other way to live? I remember when you would walk through the grocery store and there would be people smoking. My dad, who died of complications of lung cancer and emphysema, was

allowed to smoke in the hospital on his death bed. But no smoking in public places has been the law in California for so long now I can't imagine it being any other way. I admit to being a former smoker, but even passing someone smoking on the street bothers me. I loved Las Vegas, but seriously the smoke will almost kill you. peace, sharonfraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) com> wrote: and all my english friends would come over and complain righteously about california's no -smoking laws....they are absolutely livid right now...>heartwerk <jo.heartwork >>Nov 30, 2006 11:33 PM> > England smoke ban to start 1 July>>Yay - whoooowhooooo - brilliant. No more sore throats and lungs >after concerts!>>Jo> >The government says 600,000 people will quit as a result >Smoking in enclosed public places will be banned in England from 1 >July next year, the government has announced. >The ban covers virtually all enclosed public places including >offices, factories, pubs and bars, but not outdoors or in private >homes. >>It follows similar bans in the Irish Republic and Scotland - a ban in >Wales starts on 2 April. >>Ministers say it will protect everyone from passive smoking, but >opponents say the total ban is "draconian". >>From 1 July pubs and restaurants will have to display prominent "no >smoking" signs

around their premises. >>Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt said the ban was a "huge step >forward" which would save thousands of people's lives. >>The cost of implementing the ban has been estimated at about £50m. >>Medical evidence >>Ms Hewitt said the ban would protect everyone from second-hand smoke, >while making it easier for smokers to quit. >>"The scientific and medical evidence is clear - second-hand smoke >kills, causing a range of serious medical conditions including lung >cancer, heart disease, and sudden infant death syndrome," she said. >>"This legislation will help to prevent the unnecessary deaths caused >every year from second-hand smoke, and recognises that there is >absolutely no safe level of exposure." >> SMOKING BANS >Irish Republic: March 2004>Scotland: March 2006>Northern Ireland: April

2007>Wales: April 2007>England: July 2007 >>The government predicts about 600,000 people will give up smoking as >a result of the law change. >>The news was welcomed by health campaigners. Dame Helena Shovelton, >chief executive of the British Lung Foundation, said: "This is a >victory for all those of us who have campaigned so vigorously to >improve public health." >>She said it would reduce the death toll linked to smoking and that >tens of thousands of people with lung disease would once again be >able to visit pubs and restaurants. >>Cancer Research UK chief, Prof Alex Markham, said 1 July would be >an "historic day". >>"Making workplaces and enclosed public places smoke free will bring >about some of the most significant health improvements the country >has seen in decades," he said. >> [it's] typical of a

government that seems determined to interfere >in every aspect of our daily lives >>Simon Clark,>Forest lobby group>>>Send us your comments >>British Beer and Pub Association boss, Rob Hayward, welcomed the >announcement, saying it gave businesses "greater clarity" and would >allow them to prepare their customers for the changes. >>The Cabinet originally proposed prohibiting smoking only in pubs >serving food, in line with Labour's election manifesto - but MPs >eventually backed a total ban in enclosed public spaces in a free >vote. >>Simon Clark, director of the smokers' lobby group Forest, said that >decision had been "draconian". >>"From July next year it will not only be illegal to smoke in every >pub, club and bar in the country, it will also be impossible to set >up a private club run by smokers for smokers,"

he said. >>"That's an amazing state of affairs but typical of a government that >seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives." >>The health secretary is also launching a Smokefree England campaign, >to advise England's 3.7m businesses to prepare for the ban. >>>> >>>>>To send an email to - >

Guest guest

Amazingly, the people of California have managed to live with this law. You will find people stepping outside the bars for a smoke, but they aren't doing it inside! peace, sharonjo <jo.heartwork wrote: Hi Louis Is it not possible for you to go into a pub and not smoke? Why do you go to the pub? I presume you go for either or

both of two reasons - one - to have a drink - two - to meet socially with people. You do not have to smoke to do either of those things. Jo - louis stott Monday, December 04, 2006 7:15 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo no no no no no no no no no no no no no

no no no............. yes i still think we should have 2 sorts of pubs most staff who i now who work in pubs yes PUBS smoke smoke smoke smoke i do not think my habit is pain at toll louisjo <jo.heartwork > wrote: It would not be a good idea to have two sorts of pubs because people still have to work in them and why should they be exposed to everyone else's smoke. Smoking is not a necessity - it doesn't even make life easier. It's about time to be honest Louis and admit that your habit is a pain in the neck to a lot of other people, and very dangerous for them

too. Jo - louis stott Sunday, December 03, 2006 11:01 AM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo i do see your point sort off . but why cart we have 2 sorts of pubs i.e smokers and no smokers ones EASY EVER ONE HAPPY LOUISjo

<jo.heartwork > wrote: That doesn't mean that it is something I should have to put up with. Jo - louis stott Saturday, December 02, 2006 4:15 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo smokein is not the only thing thats kills you breath in walkin in hi street where all the cars smoke out i think we should have smokers pubs and non smokers pubs we smokers are not the { only } smoke what killsGeraldine McCarthy <geraldine.mccarthy (AT) tesco (DOT) net> wrote: Hi Jo, I too lost two relatives to lung cancer due to smoking - my father and my uncle :( I have a sister who like me has never smoked, unfortunately my brother has smoked from quite an early age. When talking to my brother at times I say to him please give up smoking. I do this in a non-judgemental way, as I know that stopping smoking is a very hard thing to do - as I have been told it is one of the worst drugs to come off. Yes, afterall it is a drug to one's body! Let's be honest here the government makes a lot of money from people smoking! People get hooked - they are then left with the consequences! I look forward to this ban on smoking. My husband who doesn't smoke who once a week

goes to play pool comes home smelling of smoke - It will be nice to know that in the future this will not be the case :) Teresa - jo Friday, December 01, 2006 5:13 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July Sorry to

sound brusque Louis - but I would prefer you and other smokers not to kill me. I have had a mother and uncle die of lung cancer, and it is a very nasty way to go. If you want to take the chance of killing yourself that is your choice, but I don't see why smokers should pollute the environment for everyone else. Jo - louis stott Friday, December 01, 2006 8:39 AM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July this is very sad for us smokers all it means that we shall have to go the parks etc for a fag heartwerk <jo.heartwork > wrote: Yay - whoooowhooooo - brilliant. No more sore throats and lungs after concerts!JoThe government says 600,000 people will quit as a result Smoking in enclosed public places will be banned in England from 1 July next year, the government has announced. The ban covers virtually all enclosed public places including offices, factories, pubs and bars, but not outdoors or in private homes. It follows similar bans in the Irish Republic and Scotland - a ban in Wales starts on 2 April. Ministers say it

will protect everyone from passive smoking, but opponents say the total ban is "draconian". From 1 July pubs and restaurants will have to display prominent "no smoking" signs around their premises. Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt said the ban was a "huge step forward" which would save thousands of people's lives. The cost of implementing the ban has been estimated at about £50m. Medical evidence Ms Hewitt said the ban would protect everyone from second-hand smoke, while making it easier for smokers to quit. "The scientific and medical evidence is clear - second-hand smoke kills, causing a range of serious medical conditions including lung cancer, heart disease, and sudden infant death syndrome," she said. "This legislation will help to prevent the unnecessary deaths caused every year from second-hand smoke, and recognises that there is absolutely no safe level of exposure."

SMOKING BANS Irish Republic: March 2004Scotland: March 2006Northern Ireland: April 2007Wales: April 2007England: July 2007 The government predicts about 600,000 people will give up smoking as a result of the law change. The news was welcomed by health campaigners. Dame Helena Shovelton, chief executive of the British Lung Foundation, said: "This is a victory for all those of us who have campaigned so vigorously to improve public health." She said it would reduce the death toll linked to smoking and that tens of thousands of people with lung disease would once again be able to visit pubs and restaurants. Cancer Research UK chief, Prof Alex Markham, said 1 July would be an "historic day". "Making workplaces and enclosed public places smoke free will bring about some of the most significant health improvements the country has seen in decades," he said. [it's]

typical of a government that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives Simon Clark,Forest lobby groupSend us your comments British Beer and Pub Association boss, Rob Hayward, welcomed the announcement, saying it gave businesses "greater clarity" and would allow them to prepare their customers for the changes. The Cabinet originally proposed prohibiting smoking only in pubs serving food, in line with Labour's election manifesto - but MPs eventually backed a total ban in enclosed public spaces in a free vote. Simon Clark, director of the smokers' lobby group Forest, said that decision had been "draconian". "From July next year it will not only be illegal to smoke in every pub, club and bar in the country, it will also be impossible to set up a private club run by smokers for smokers," he said. "That's an amazing state of affairs but typical of a government

that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives." The health secretary is also launching a Smokefree England campaign, to advise England's 3.7m businesses to prepare for the ban. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Check out the all-new Mail beta - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.

Guest guest

hehe. Being in a pub makes you feel like a fag. Okay, totally politically incorrect humor here. My mother was from England, and at work when she was going on a smoke break, she'd say, "I'm going to go have a fag," and one day one of her co-workers said, "You mean you're going to go put a butt in your mouth?" Back to my corner now.... peace, sharonpeter VV <swpgh01 wrote: When I used to smoke it was purely

socially ( sic ), and always felt like a fag when I was in a pub and my mates were smoking. So possibly the wrong place to go to try to give up? The Valley Vegan..............jo <jo.heartwork > wrote: Hi Louis Is it not possible for you to go into a pub and not smoke? Why do you go to the pub? I presume you go for either or both of two reasons - one - to have a drink - two - to meet socially with people. You do not have to smoke to do either of those things. Jo - louis stott Monday, December 04, 2006 7:15 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no............. yes i still think we should have 2 sorts of pubs most staff who i now who work in pubs yes PUBS smoke smoke smoke smoke i do not think my habit is pain at toll louisjo <jo.heartwork > wrote: It would not be a good idea to have two sorts of pubs because people still have to work in them and why should they be exposed to everyone else's smoke. Smoking is not a necessity - it doesn't even make life easier. It's about time to be honest Louis and admit that your habit is a pain in the neck to a lot of other people, and very dangerous for them too. Jo - louis stott Sunday, December 03, 2006 11:01 AM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo i do see your point sort off . but why cart we have 2 sorts of pubs i.e smokers and no smokers ones EASY EVER ONE HAPPY LOUISjo <jo.heartwork > wrote: That doesn't mean that it is

something I should have to put up with. Jo - louis stott Saturday, December 02, 2006 4:15 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo smokein is not the only thing thats kills you breath in walkin in hi street where all the cars smoke out i think we

should have smokers pubs and non smokers pubs we smokers are not the { only } smoke what killsGeraldine McCarthy <geraldine.mccarthy (AT) tesco (DOT) net> wrote: Hi Jo, I too lost two relatives to lung cancer due to smoking - my father and my uncle :( I have a sister who like me has never smoked, unfortunately my brother has smoked from quite an early age. When talking to my brother at times I say to him please give up smoking. I do this in a

non-judgemental way, as I know that stopping smoking is a very hard thing to do - as I have been told it is one of the worst drugs to come off. Yes, afterall it is a drug to one's body! Let's be honest here the government makes a lot of money from people smoking! People get hooked - they are then left with the consequences! I look forward to this ban on smoking. My husband who doesn't smoke who once a week goes to play pool comes home smelling of smoke - It will be nice to know that in the future this will not be the case :) Teresa - jo Friday, December 01, 2006 5:13 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July Sorry to sound brusque Louis - but I would prefer you and other smokers not to kill me. I have had a mother and uncle die of lung cancer, and it is a very nasty way to go. If you want to take the chance of killing yourself that is your choice, but I don't see why smokers should

pollute the environment for everyone else. Jo - louis stott Friday, December 01, 2006 8:39 AM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July this is very sad for us smokers all it means that we shall have to go the parks etc for a fag heartwerk <jo.heartwork > wrote: Yay - whoooowhooooo - brilliant. No more sore throats and lungs after concerts!JoThe government says 600,000 people will quit as a result Smoking in enclosed public places will be banned in England from 1 July next year, the government has announced. The ban covers virtually all enclosed public places including offices, factories, pubs and bars, but not outdoors or in private homes. It follows similar bans in the Irish Republic and Scotland - a ban in Wales starts on 2 April. Ministers say it will protect everyone from passive smoking, but opponents say the total ban is "draconian". From 1 July pubs and restaurants will have to display prominent "no smoking" signs around their premises.

Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt said the ban was a "huge step forward" which would save thousands of people's lives. The cost of implementing the ban has been estimated at about £50m. Medical evidence Ms Hewitt said the ban would protect everyone from second-hand smoke, while making it easier for smokers to quit. "The scientific and medical evidence is clear - second-hand smoke kills, causing a range of serious medical conditions including lung cancer, heart disease, and sudden infant death syndrome," she said. "This legislation will help to prevent the unnecessary deaths caused every year from second-hand smoke, and recognises that there is absolutely no safe level of exposure." SMOKING BANS Irish Republic: March 2004Scotland: March 2006Northern Ireland: April 2007Wales: April 2007England: July 2007 The government predicts about 600,000 people will give up smoking

as a result of the law change. The news was welcomed by health campaigners. Dame Helena Shovelton, chief executive of the British Lung Foundation, said: "This is a victory for all those of us who have campaigned so vigorously to improve public health." She said it would reduce the death toll linked to smoking and that tens of thousands of people with lung disease would once again be able to visit pubs and restaurants. Cancer Research UK chief, Prof Alex Markham, said 1 July would be an "historic day". "Making workplaces and enclosed public places smoke free will bring about some of the most significant health improvements the country has seen in decades," he said. [it's] typical of a government that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives Simon Clark,Forest lobby groupSend us your comments British Beer and Pub Association boss, Rob Hayward,

welcomed the announcement, saying it gave businesses "greater clarity" and would allow them to prepare their customers for the changes. The Cabinet originally proposed prohibiting smoking only in pubs serving food, in line with Labour's election manifesto - but MPs eventually backed a total ban in enclosed public spaces in a free vote. Simon Clark, director of the smokers' lobby group Forest, said that decision had been "draconian". "From July next year it will not only be illegal to smoke in every pub, club and bar in the country, it will also be impossible to set up a private club run by smokers for smokers," he said. "That's an amazing state of affairs but typical of a government that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives." The health secretary is also launching a Smokefree England campaign, to advise England's 3.7m businesses to prepare for the ban.

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Peter H Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Check out the all-new Mail beta - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.

Guest guest

hehe. Being in a pub makes you feel like a fag. Okay, totally politically incorrect humor here. My mother was from England, and at work when she was going on a smoke break, she'd say, "I'm going to go have a fag," and one day one of her co-workers said, "You mean you're going to go put a butt in your mouth?" Back to my corner now.... peace, sharonpeter VV <swpgh01 wrote: When I used to smoke it was purely

socially ( sic ), and always felt like a fag when I was in a pub and my mates were smoking. So possibly the wrong place to go to try to give up? The Valley Vegan..............jo <jo.heartwork > wrote: Hi Louis Is it not possible for you to go into a pub and not smoke? Why do you go to the pub? I presume you go for either or both of two reasons - one - to have a drink - two - to meet socially with people. You do not have to smoke to do either of those things. Jo - louis stott Monday, December 04, 2006 7:15 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no............. yes i still think we should have 2 sorts of pubs most staff who i now who work in pubs yes PUBS smoke smoke smoke smoke i do not think my habit is pain at toll louisjo <jo.heartwork > wrote: It would not be a good idea to have two sorts of pubs because people still have to work in them and why should they be exposed to everyone else's smoke. Smoking is not a necessity - it doesn't even make life easier. It's about time to be honest Louis and admit that your habit is a pain in the neck to a lot of other people, and very dangerous for them too. Jo - louis stott Sunday, December 03, 2006 11:01 AM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo i do see your point sort off . but why cart we have 2 sorts of pubs i.e smokers and no smokers ones EASY EVER ONE HAPPY LOUISjo <jo.heartwork > wrote: That doesn't mean that it is

something I should have to put up with. Jo - louis stott Saturday, December 02, 2006 4:15 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo smokein is not the only thing thats kills you breath in walkin in hi street where all the cars smoke out i think we

should have smokers pubs and non smokers pubs we smokers are not the { only } smoke what killsGeraldine McCarthy <geraldine.mccarthy (AT) tesco (DOT) net> wrote: Hi Jo, I too lost two relatives to lung cancer due to smoking - my father and my uncle :( I have a sister who like me has never smoked, unfortunately my brother has smoked from quite an early age. When talking to my brother at times I say to him please give up smoking. I do this in a

non-judgemental way, as I know that stopping smoking is a very hard thing to do - as I have been told it is one of the worst drugs to come off. Yes, afterall it is a drug to one's body! Let's be honest here the government makes a lot of money from people smoking! People get hooked - they are then left with the consequences! I look forward to this ban on smoking. My husband who doesn't smoke who once a week goes to play pool comes home smelling of smoke - It will be nice to know that in the future this will not be the case :) Teresa - jo Friday, December 01, 2006 5:13 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July Sorry to sound brusque Louis - but I would prefer you and other smokers not to kill me. I have had a mother and uncle die of lung cancer, and it is a very nasty way to go. If you want to take the chance of killing yourself that is your choice, but I don't see why smokers should

pollute the environment for everyone else. Jo - louis stott Friday, December 01, 2006 8:39 AM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July this is very sad for us smokers all it means that we shall have to go the parks etc for a fag heartwerk <jo.heartwork > wrote: Yay - whoooowhooooo - brilliant. No more sore throats and lungs after concerts!JoThe government says 600,000 people will quit as a result Smoking in enclosed public places will be banned in England from 1 July next year, the government has announced. The ban covers virtually all enclosed public places including offices, factories, pubs and bars, but not outdoors or in private homes. It follows similar bans in the Irish Republic and Scotland - a ban in Wales starts on 2 April. Ministers say it will protect everyone from passive smoking, but opponents say the total ban is "draconian". From 1 July pubs and restaurants will have to display prominent "no smoking" signs around their premises.

Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt said the ban was a "huge step forward" which would save thousands of people's lives. The cost of implementing the ban has been estimated at about £50m. Medical evidence Ms Hewitt said the ban would protect everyone from second-hand smoke, while making it easier for smokers to quit. "The scientific and medical evidence is clear - second-hand smoke kills, causing a range of serious medical conditions including lung cancer, heart disease, and sudden infant death syndrome," she said. "This legislation will help to prevent the unnecessary deaths caused every year from second-hand smoke, and recognises that there is absolutely no safe level of exposure." SMOKING BANS Irish Republic: March 2004Scotland: March 2006Northern Ireland: April 2007Wales: April 2007England: July 2007 The government predicts about 600,000 people will give up smoking

as a result of the law change. The news was welcomed by health campaigners. Dame Helena Shovelton, chief executive of the British Lung Foundation, said: "This is a victory for all those of us who have campaigned so vigorously to improve public health." She said it would reduce the death toll linked to smoking and that tens of thousands of people with lung disease would once again be able to visit pubs and restaurants. Cancer Research UK chief, Prof Alex Markham, said 1 July would be an "historic day". "Making workplaces and enclosed public places smoke free will bring about some of the most significant health improvements the country has seen in decades," he said. [it's] typical of a government that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives Simon Clark,Forest lobby groupSend us your comments British Beer and Pub Association boss, Rob Hayward,

welcomed the announcement, saying it gave businesses "greater clarity" and would allow them to prepare their customers for the changes. The Cabinet originally proposed prohibiting smoking only in pubs serving food, in line with Labour's election manifesto - but MPs eventually backed a total ban in enclosed public spaces in a free vote. Simon Clark, director of the smokers' lobby group Forest, said that decision had been "draconian". "From July next year it will not only be illegal to smoke in every pub, club and bar in the country, it will also be impossible to set up a private club run by smokers for smokers," he said. "That's an amazing state of affairs but typical of a government that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives." The health secretary is also launching a Smokefree England campaign, to advise England's 3.7m businesses to prepare for the ban.

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Peter H Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Have a burning question? Go to Answers and get answers from real people who know.

Guest guest

yes that may be the case but its what the ban wonts lo here . if it was it would be fab Shhhhh <compassion2grace wrote: Amazingly, the people of California have managed to live with this law. You will find people stepping outside the bars for a smoke, but they aren't doing it inside! peace, sharonjo <jo.heartwork > wrote: Hi Louis Is it not possible for you to go into a pub and not smoke? Why do you go to the pub? I presume you go for either or both of two reasons - one - to have a drink - two - to meet socially with people. You do not have to smoke to do either of those things. Jo - louis stott Monday, December 04, 2006 7:15 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no............. yes i still think we should have 2 sorts of pubs most staff who i now who work in pubs yes PUBS smoke smoke smoke smoke i do not think my habit is pain at toll louisjo <jo.heartwork > wrote: It would not be a good idea to have two sorts of pubs because people still have to work in them and why should they be exposed to everyone else's smoke.

Smoking is not a necessity - it doesn't even make life easier. It's about time to be honest Louis and admit that your habit is a pain in the neck to a lot of other people, and very dangerous for them too. Jo - louis stott Sunday, December 03, 2006 11:01 AM Re:

England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo i do see your point sort off . but why cart we have 2 sorts of pubs i.e smokers and no smokers ones EASY EVER ONE HAPPY LOUISjo <jo.heartwork > wrote: That doesn't mean that it is something I should have to put up with. Jo - louis

stott Saturday, December 02, 2006 4:15 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo smokein is not the only thing thats kills you breath in walkin in hi street where all the cars smoke out i think we should have smokers pubs and non smokers pubs we smokers are not the { only } smoke what killsGeraldine McCarthy <geraldine.mccarthy (AT) tesco (DOT) net> wrote: Hi Jo, I too lost two relatives to lung cancer due to smoking - my father and my uncle :( I have a sister who like me has never smoked, unfortunately my brother has smoked from quite an early age. When talking to my brother at times I say to him please give up smoking. I do this in a non-judgemental way, as I know that stopping smoking is a very hard thing to do - as I have been told it is one of the worst drugs to come off. Yes, afterall it is a drug to one's body! Let's be honest here the government makes a lot of money from people

smoking! People get hooked - they are then left with the consequences! I look forward to this ban on smoking. My husband who doesn't smoke who once a week goes to play pool comes home smelling of smoke - It will be nice to know that in the future this will not be the case :) Teresa - jo Friday, December 01, 2006 5:13 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July Sorry to sound brusque Louis - but I would prefer you and other smokers not to kill me. I have had a mother and uncle die of lung cancer, and it is a very nasty way to go. If you want to take the chance of killing yourself that is your choice, but I don't see why smokers should pollute the environment for everyone else. Jo - louis stott Friday, December 01, 2006 8:39 AM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July this is very sad for us smokers all it means that we shall have to go the parks etc for a fag heartwerk <jo.heartwork > wrote: Yay - whoooowhooooo - brilliant. No more sore throats and lungs after concerts!JoThe government says 600,000 people will quit as a result Smoking in enclosed public places will be

banned in England from 1 July next year, the government has announced. The ban covers virtually all enclosed public places including offices, factories, pubs and bars, but not outdoors or in private homes. It follows similar bans in the Irish Republic and Scotland - a ban in Wales starts on 2 April. Ministers say it will protect everyone from passive smoking, but opponents say the total ban is "draconian". From 1 July pubs and restaurants will have to display prominent "no smoking" signs around their premises. Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt said the ban was a "huge step forward" which would save thousands of people's lives. The cost of implementing the ban has been estimated at about £50m. Medical evidence Ms Hewitt said the ban would protect everyone from second-hand smoke, while making it easier for smokers to quit. "The scientific and medical evidence is clear -

second-hand smoke kills, causing a range of serious medical conditions including lung cancer, heart disease, and sudden infant death syndrome," she said. "This legislation will help to prevent the unnecessary deaths caused every year from second-hand smoke, and recognises that there is absolutely no safe level of exposure." SMOKING BANS Irish Republic: March 2004Scotland: March 2006Northern Ireland: April 2007Wales: April 2007England: July 2007 The government predicts about 600,000 people will give up smoking as a result of the law change. The news was welcomed by health campaigners. Dame Helena Shovelton, chief executive of the British Lung Foundation, said: "This is a victory for all those of us who have campaigned so vigorously to improve public health." She said it would reduce the death toll linked to smoking and that tens of thousands of people with lung disease would once

again be able to visit pubs and restaurants. Cancer Research UK chief, Prof Alex Markham, said 1 July would be an "historic day". "Making workplaces and enclosed public places smoke free will bring about some of the most significant health improvements the country has seen in decades," he said. [it's] typical of a government that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives Simon Clark,Forest lobby groupSend us your comments British Beer and Pub Association boss, Rob Hayward, welcomed the announcement, saying it gave businesses "greater clarity" and would allow them to prepare their customers for the changes. The Cabinet originally proposed prohibiting smoking only in pubs serving food, in line with Labour's election manifesto - but MPs eventually backed a total ban in enclosed public spaces in a free vote. Simon Clark, director of the smokers'

lobby group Forest, said that decision had been "draconian". "From July next year it will not only be illegal to smoke in every pub, club and bar in the country, it will also be impossible to set up a private club run by smokers for smokers," he said. "That's an amazing state of affairs but typical of a government that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives." The health secretary is also launching a Smokefree England campaign, to advise England's 3.7m businesses to prepare for the ban. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Check out the all-new Mail beta - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Guest guest

yer thats ok you put food and drink in your gob dont you ?????????????????!!!!!!!!!!Shhhhh <compassion2grace wrote: hehe. Being in a pub makes you feel like a fag. Okay, totally politically incorrect humor here. My mother was from England, and at work when she was going on a smoke break, she'd say, "I'm going to go have a fag," and one day one of her co-workers said, "You mean you're going to go put a butt in your mouth?" Back to my corner now.... peace, sharonpeter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> wrote: When I used to smoke it was purely socially ( sic ), and always felt like a fag when I was in a pub and my mates were smoking. So possibly the wrong place to go to try to give up? The Valley Vegan..............jo <jo.heartwork > wrote: Hi Louis Is it not possible for you to go into a pub and not smoke? Why do you go to the pub? I presume you go for either or both of two reasons - one - to have a

drink - two - to meet socially with people. You do not have to smoke to do either of those things. Jo - louis stott Monday, December 04, 2006 7:15 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

no............. yes i still think we should have 2 sorts of pubs most staff who i now who work in pubs yes PUBS smoke smoke smoke smoke i do not think my habit is pain at toll louisjo <jo.heartwork > wrote: It would not be a good idea to have two sorts of pubs because people still have to work in them and why should they be exposed to everyone else's smoke. Smoking is not a necessity - it doesn't even make life easier. It's about time to be honest Louis and admit that your habit is a pain in the neck to a lot of other people, and very dangerous for them

too. Jo - louis stott Sunday, December 03, 2006 11:01 AM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo i do see your point sort off . but why cart we have 2 sorts of pubs i.e smokers and no smokers ones EASY EVER ONE HAPPY LOUISjo

<jo.heartwork > wrote: That doesn't mean that it is something I should have to put up with. Jo - louis stott Saturday, December 02, 2006 4:15 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo smokein is not the only thing thats kills you breath in walkin in hi street where all the cars smoke out i think we should have smokers pubs and non smokers pubs we smokers are not the { only } smoke what killsGeraldine McCarthy <geraldine.mccarthy (AT) tesco (DOT) net> wrote: Hi Jo, I too lost two relatives to lung cancer due to smoking - my father and my uncle :( I have a sister who like me has never smoked, unfortunately my brother has smoked from quite an early age. When talking to my brother at times I say to him please give up smoking. I do this in a non-judgemental way, as I know that stopping smoking is a very hard thing to do - as I have been told it is one of the worst drugs to come off. Yes, afterall it is a drug to one's body! Let's be honest here the government makes a lot of money from people smoking! People get hooked - they are then left with the consequences! I look forward to this ban on smoking. My husband who doesn't smoke who once a week

goes to play pool comes home smelling of smoke - It will be nice to know that in the future this will not be the case :) Teresa - jo Friday, December 01, 2006 5:13 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July Sorry to

sound brusque Louis - but I would prefer you and other smokers not to kill me. I have had a mother and uncle die of lung cancer, and it is a very nasty way to go. If you want to take the chance of killing yourself that is your choice, but I don't see why smokers should pollute the environment for everyone else. Jo - louis stott Friday, December 01, 2006 8:39 AM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July this is very sad for us smokers all it means that we shall have to go the parks etc for a fag heartwerk <jo.heartwork > wrote: Yay - whoooowhooooo - brilliant. No more sore throats and lungs after concerts!JoThe government says 600,000 people will quit as a result Smoking in enclosed public places will be banned in England from 1 July next year, the government has announced. The ban covers virtually all enclosed public places including offices, factories, pubs and bars, but not outdoors or in private homes. It follows similar bans in the Irish Republic and Scotland - a ban in Wales starts on 2 April. Ministers say it

will protect everyone from passive smoking, but opponents say the total ban is "draconian". From 1 July pubs and restaurants will have to display prominent "no smoking" signs around their premises. Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt said the ban was a "huge step forward" which would save thousands of people's lives. The cost of implementing the ban has been estimated at about £50m. Medical evidence Ms Hewitt said the ban would protect everyone from second-hand smoke, while making it easier for smokers to quit. "The scientific and medical evidence is clear - second-hand smoke kills, causing a range of serious medical conditions including lung cancer, heart disease, and sudden infant death syndrome," she said. "This legislation will help to prevent the unnecessary deaths caused every year from second-hand smoke, and recognises that there is absolutely no safe level of exposure."

SMOKING BANS Irish Republic: March 2004Scotland: March 2006Northern Ireland: April 2007Wales: April 2007England: July 2007 The government predicts about 600,000 people will give up smoking as a result of the law change. The news was welcomed by health campaigners. Dame Helena Shovelton, chief executive of the British Lung Foundation, said: "This is a victory for all those of us who have campaigned so vigorously to improve public health." She said it would reduce the death toll linked to smoking and that tens of thousands of people with lung disease would once again be able to visit pubs and restaurants. Cancer Research UK chief, Prof Alex Markham, said 1 July would be an "historic day". "Making workplaces and enclosed public places smoke free will bring about some of the most significant health improvements the country has seen in decades," he said. [it's]

typical of a government that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives Simon Clark,Forest lobby groupSend us your comments British Beer and Pub Association boss, Rob Hayward, welcomed the announcement, saying it gave businesses "greater clarity" and would allow them to prepare their customers for the changes. The Cabinet originally proposed prohibiting smoking only in pubs serving food, in line with Labour's election manifesto - but MPs eventually backed a total ban in enclosed public spaces in a free vote. Simon Clark, director of the smokers' lobby group Forest, said that decision had been "draconian". "From July next year it will not only be illegal to smoke in every pub, club and bar in the country, it will also be impossible to set up a private club run by smokers for smokers," he said. "That's an amazing state of affairs but typical of a government

that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives." The health secretary is also launching a Smokefree England campaign, to advise England's 3.7m businesses to prepare for the ban. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Peter H Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Check out the all-new Mail beta - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Guest guest

And I thought I was the king of inuendo!............ The Valley Vegan..............Shhhhh <compassion2grace wrote: hehe. Being in a pub makes you feel like a fag. Okay, totally politically incorrect humor here. My mother was from England, and at work when she was going on a smoke break, she'd say, "I'm going to go have a fag," and one day one of her co-workers said, "You mean you're going to go put a butt in your mouth?" Back to my corner now.... peace, sharonpeter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> wrote: When I used to smoke it was purely socially ( sic ), and always felt like a fag when I was in a pub and my mates were smoking. So possibly the wrong place to go to try to give up? The Valley Vegan..............jo <jo.heartwork > wrote: Hi Louis Is it not possible for you to go into a pub and not smoke? Why do you go to the pub? I presume you go for either or both

of two reasons - one - to have a drink - two - to meet socially with people. You do not have to smoke to do either of those things. Jo - louis stott Monday, December 04, 2006 7:15 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

no............. yes i still think we should have 2 sorts of pubs most staff who i now who work in pubs yes PUBS smoke smoke smoke smoke i do not think my habit is pain at toll louisjo <jo.heartwork > wrote: It would not be a good idea to have two sorts of pubs because people still have to work in them and why should they be exposed to everyone else's smoke. Smoking is not a necessity - it doesn't even make life easier. It's about time to be honest Louis and admit that your habit is a pain in the neck to a lot of other people, and very dangerous for them

that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives." The health secretary is also launching a Smokefree England campaign, to advise England's 3.7m businesses to prepare for the ban. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Peter H Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Have a burning question? Go to Answers and get answers from real people who know. Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Guest guest

Hi Sharon

>Amazingly, the people of California have managed to live with this law. You will find people stepping outside the bars for a smoke, but they aren't doing it inside!

Same in Ireland where they've had the law for a couple of years.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

You should have to give it up because when you smoke, the damage you do is not limited to yourself. If someone shoots up heroin, it only goes into their body. When you smoke, it goes into every body around you. There is no redeeming social value to smoking. When I was a kid, my parents were friends with another couple. Many evenings they would sit around the kitchen and smoke and laugh and maybe play cards. Now all but one of those four people is dead, all from smoking. That includes my mother, who died from emphysema two years ago, and my father, who had lung cancer and emphysema. My own lungs are very weak ... I get a cold, and I can count on having a horrible cough for six weeks. But in addition to smoking myself for a few years, I was raised in a house filled with cigarette smoke. It is a deadly habit. Once an anti-smoking law is in place, many

people quit smoking because it is easier to just get it over with rather than craving a cigarette so often and not being able to have one. A lot of other people don't even start smoking, because they are just not around it, and because it just seems socially inappropriate instead of "cool." And perhaps other lives will be saved by not having to be exposed to second hand smoke. Slowly losing your ability to breathe is NOT a pretty thing, believe me. I've seen it happen to both of my parents. You definitely do not have the right to inflict that kind of damage on "you lot". Sharonlouis stott <lsstott wrote: i would jist like to point out that I HAVE BAD ASTHMA TOO but i smoke up to 30 a day if you dont like the smell go to a pub with out the smokers part , why should i give up for you lot ????Peter <metalscarab > wrote: Hi Teresa (or Geraldine?) >I look forward to this ban on smoking. My husband who doesn't smoke who once a week goes to play pool comes home smelling of smoke - It will be nice to know that in the future > this

will not be the case :) I always dislike smelling of smoke, which until now has always been a result of going to concerts. I also have a friend who has fairly bad asthma, and can't go into smokey atmospheres - I know she is thoroughly looking forward to being able to go to gigs and pubs without putting her life in danger :-) BB Peeter Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Want to start your own business? Learn how on Small Business.

Guest guest

Teresa, with socialized medicine in England I'd say it's a toss-up as to whether they make money from smoking or not. It runs up some pretty expensive medical bills. SharonGeraldine McCarthy <geraldine.mccarthy wrote: Hi Jo, I too lost two relatives to lung cancer due to smoking - my father and my uncle

:( I have a sister who like me has never smoked, unfortunately my brother has smoked from quite an early age. When talking to my brother at times I say to him please give up smoking. I do this in a non-judgemental way, as I know that stopping smoking is a very hard thing to do - as I have been told it is one of the worst drugs to come off. Yes, afterall it is a drug to one's body! Let's be honest here the government makes a lot of money from people smoking! People get hooked - they are then left with the consequences! I look forward to this ban on smoking.

My husband who doesn't smoke who once a week goes to play pool comes home smelling of smoke - It will be nice to know that in the future this will not be the case :) Teresa - jo Friday, December 01, 2006 5:13 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July Sorry to sound brusque Louis - but I would prefer you and other smokers not to kill me. I have had a mother and uncle die of lung cancer, and it is a very nasty way to go. If you want to take the chance of killing yourself that is your choice, but I don't see why smokers should pollute the environment for everyone else. Jo - louis stott Friday, December 01,

2006 8:39 AM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July this is very sad for us smokers all it means that we shall have to go the parks etc for a fag heartwerk <jo.heartwork > wrote: Yay - whoooowhooooo - brilliant. No more sore throats and lungs after concerts!JoThe government says 600,000 people will quit as a result Smoking in enclosed public places will be banned in England from 1 July next year, the government has announced. The ban covers virtually all enclosed public places including offices, factories, pubs and bars, but not outdoors or in private homes. It follows similar bans in the Irish Republic and Scotland - a ban in Wales

starts on 2 April. Ministers say it will protect everyone from passive smoking, but opponents say the total ban is "draconian". From 1 July pubs and restaurants will have to display prominent "no smoking" signs around their premises. Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt said the ban was a "huge step forward" which would save thousands of people's lives. The cost of implementing the ban has been estimated at about £50m. Medical evidence Ms Hewitt said the ban would protect everyone from second-hand smoke, while making it easier for smokers to quit. "The scientific and medical evidence is clear - second-hand smoke kills, causing a range of serious medical conditions including lung cancer, heart disease, and sudden infant death syndrome," she said. "This legislation will help to prevent the unnecessary deaths caused every year from second-hand smoke, and recognises that there is

absolutely no safe level of exposure." SMOKING BANS Irish Republic: March 2004Scotland: March 2006Northern Ireland: April 2007Wales: April 2007England: July 2007 The government predicts about 600,000 people will give up smoking as a result of the law change. The news was welcomed by health campaigners. Dame Helena Shovelton, chief executive of the British Lung Foundation, said: "This is a victory for all those of us who have campaigned so vigorously to improve public health." She said it would reduce the death toll linked to smoking and that tens of thousands of people with lung disease would once again be able to visit pubs and restaurants. Cancer Research UK chief, Prof Alex Markham, said 1 July would be an "historic day". "Making workplaces and enclosed public places smoke free will bring about some of the most significant health improvements the country has seen

in decades," he said. [it's] typical of a government that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives Simon Clark,Forest lobby groupSend us your comments British Beer and Pub Association boss, Rob Hayward, welcomed the announcement, saying it gave businesses "greater clarity" and would allow them to prepare their customers for the changes. The Cabinet originally proposed prohibiting smoking only in pubs serving food, in line with Labour's election manifesto - but MPs eventually backed a total ban in enclosed public spaces in a free vote. Simon Clark, director of the smokers' lobby group Forest, said that decision had been "draconian". "From July next year it will not only be illegal to smoke in every pub, club and bar in the country, it will also be impossible to set up a private club run by smokers for smokers," he said. "That's an amazing state of

affairs but typical of a government that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives." The health secretary is also launching a Smokefree England campaign, to advise England's 3.7m businesses to prepare for the ban. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Want to start your own business? Learn how on Small Business.

Guest guest

Hi Louis

I thought pubs were places where you could go for a drink. Why would

this automatically include the right to smoke?

Jo

, louis stott <lsstott wrote:

>

> hi jo

> so whats the point of havein pubs then ????

>

> peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

> When I used to smoke it was purely socially ( sic ),

and always felt like a fag when I was in a pub and my mates were

smoking. So possibly the wrong place to go to try to give up?

>

> The Valley Vegan..............

>

> jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

> Hi Louis

>

> Is it not possible for you to go into a pub and not smoke? Why

do you go to the pub? I presume you go for either or both of two

reasons - one - to have a drink - two - to meet socially with

people. You do not have to smoke to do either of those things.

>

> Jo

Guest guest

I have a friend at work who has asthma which has come on late in life

because she smokes. It seems to have been caused by abusing the lungs

rather than through an allergen, which is the normal cause of asthma.

Did your doctor not advise you to give up smoking? and if he did, why

are you still smoking? Do you not value your life? Do you not enjoy

your life? Is smoking really one of the most important and enjoyable

pastimes you have? If that is the case, I feel very sad for you.

Jo

>

> hi bb peter

> well my doc says its asthma so why should he lie to me

>

Guest guest

Hi Louis

Can I ask that you don't keep repeating a word as though we are

unable to understand what you say if it is said only once.

Jo

>

> no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no]

>

> Shhhhh <compassion2grace wrote: Gosh, is there any

other way to live? I remember when you would walk through the

grocery store and there would be people smoking. My dad, who died of

complications of lung cancer and emphysema, was allowed to smoke in

the hospital on his death bed. But no smoking in public places has

been the law in California for so long now I can't imagine it being

any other way. I admit to being a former smoker, but even passing

someone smoking on the street bothers me. I loved Las Vegas, but

seriously the smoke will almost kill you.

>

> peace,

> sharon

>

> fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

> and all my english friends would come over and complain

righteously about california's no -smoking laws....

> they are absolutely livid right now...

>

>

> >heartwerk <jo.heartwork

> >Nov 30, 2006 11:33 PM

> >

> > England smoke ban to start 1 July

> >

> >Yay - whoooowhooooo - brilliant. No more sore throats and lungs

> >after concerts!

> >

> >Jo

> >

> >The government says 600,000 people will quit as a result

> >Smoking in enclosed public places will be banned in England from 1

> >July next year, the government has announced.

> >The ban covers virtually all enclosed public places including

> >offices, factories, pubs and bars, but not outdoors or in private

> >homes.

> >

> >It follows similar bans in the Irish Republic and Scotland - a ban

in

> >Wales starts on 2 April.

> >

> >Ministers say it will protect everyone from passive smoking, but

> >opponents say the total ban is " draconian " .

> >

> >From 1 July pubs and restaurants will have to display

prominent " no

> >smoking " signs around their premises.

> >

> >Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt said the ban was a " huge step

> >forward " which would save thousands of people's lives.

> >

> >The cost of implementing the ban has been estimated at about £50m.

> >

> >Medical evidence

> >

> >Ms Hewitt said the ban would protect everyone from second-hand

smoke,

> >while making it easier for smokers to quit.

> >

> > " The scientific and medical evidence is clear - second-hand smoke

> >kills, causing a range of serious medical conditions including

lung

> >cancer, heart disease, and sudden infant death syndrome, " she

said.

> >

> > " This legislation will help to prevent the unnecessary deaths

caused

> >every year from second-hand smoke, and recognises that there is

> >absolutely no safe level of exposure. "

> >

> > SMOKING BANS

> >Irish Republic: March 2004

> >Scotland: March 2006

> >Northern Ireland: April 2007

> >Wales: April 2007

> >England: July 2007

> >

> >The government predicts about 600,000 people will give up smoking

as

> >a result of the law change.

> >

> >The news was welcomed by health campaigners. Dame Helena

Shovelton,

> >chief executive of the British Lung Foundation, said: " This is a

> >victory for all those of us who have campaigned so vigorously to

> >improve public health. "

> >

> >She said it would reduce the death toll linked to smoking and that

> >tens of thousands of people with lung disease would once again be

> >able to visit pubs and restaurants.

> >

> >Cancer Research UK chief, Prof Alex Markham, said 1 July would be

> >an " historic day " .

> >

> > " Making workplaces and enclosed public places smoke free will

bring

> >about some of the most significant health improvements the country

> >has seen in decades, " he said.

> >

> > [it's] typical of a government that seems determined to interfere

> >in every aspect of our daily lives

> >

> >Simon Clark,

> >Forest lobby group

> >

> >

> >Send us your comments

> >

> >British Beer and Pub Association boss, Rob Hayward, welcomed the

> >announcement, saying it gave businesses " greater clarity " and

would

> >allow them to prepare their customers for the changes.

> >

> >The Cabinet originally proposed prohibiting smoking only in pubs

> >serving food, in line with Labour's election manifesto - but MPs

> >eventually backed a total ban in enclosed public spaces in a free

> >vote.

> >

> >Simon Clark, director of the smokers' lobby group Forest, said

that

> >decision had been " draconian " .

> >

> > " From July next year it will not only be illegal to smoke in every

> >pub, club and bar in the country, it will also be impossible to

set

> >up a private club run by smokers for smokers, " he said.

> >

> > " That's an amazing state of affairs but typical of a government

that

> >seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives. "

> >

> >The health secretary is also launching a Smokefree England

campaign,

> >to advise England's 3.7m businesses to prepare for the ban.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >To send an email to -

> >

Guest guest

Hi Louis

Usually the use of capitals implies shouting, so please don't do it.

JO

>

> hi jo

> in reply to this i have asthma it not bad bad , but i do have it

lo my mama has it my nan has it my sister useto have it but still

SMOKES THE SOME EVER DAY OF THE WEEK

> louis

>

> jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

> Hi Louis

>

> Once again, I don't know anyone who has asthma that can actually

sleep. I'm beginning to think that there are two kinds of asthma,

and that maybeyours is secondary to something else. The asthma I am

talking about puts the person in fear of their life because they

cannot breathe.

>

> Jo

Guest guest

I hope the landlord is regularly prosecuted, and the smokers regularly

fined.

Jo

>

> hi bb peter

> well how i think it would work is easy i think anyway i would get

a vote on everone in that pub who use it ever day and the see from

that i do know of 2 pubs { no names lo } who are goin to stay at

smokers bars no matter what but the owner says he will stay as long as

he gets ALL THE SUPORT OF US THE SMOKERS

> louis

>

Guest guest

In this reply I forgot to mention that my friend's asthma is not very

like allergic asthma as she just seems to have an irritating cough.

She does not have the feeling that she cannot get breath in and out

of her body. I think if someone had allergic asthma they would not

even think of smoking, and have to avoid other people's smoke.

Tell me Louis, do you not feel any compassion for an asthmatic who

wishes to socialise in a pub?

Jo

, " heartwerk " <jo.heartwork

wrote:

>

> I have a friend at work who has asthma which has come on late in

life

> because she smokes. It seems to have been caused by abusing the

lungs

> rather than through an allergen, which is the normal cause of

asthma.

>

> Did your doctor not advise you to give up smoking? and if he did,

why

> are you still smoking? Do you not value your life? Do you not

enjoy

> your life? Is smoking really one of the most important and

enjoyable

> pastimes you have? If that is the case, I feel very sad for you.

>

> Jo

>

> , louis stott <lsstott@> wrote:

> >

> > hi bb peter

> > well my doc says its asthma so why should he lie to me

> >

>

Guest guest

yer good point you made but if there was a smokers bar that would not matter becos we all SMOKE Shhhhh <compassion2grace wrote: You should have to give it up because when you smoke, the damage you do is not limited to yourself. If someone shoots up heroin, it only goes into their body. When you smoke, it goes into every body around you. There is no redeeming social value to smoking. When I was a kid, my parents were friends with another couple. Many

evenings they would sit around the kitchen and smoke and laugh and maybe play cards. Now all but one of those four people is dead, all from smoking. That includes my mother, who died from emphysema two years ago, and my father, who had lung cancer and emphysema. My own lungs are very weak ... I get a cold, and I can count on having a horrible cough for six weeks. But in addition to smoking myself for a few years, I was raised in a house filled with cigarette smoke. It is a deadly habit. Once an anti-smoking law is in place, many people quit smoking because it is easier to just get it over with rather than craving a cigarette so often and not being able to have one. A lot of other people don't even start smoking, because they are just not around it, and because it just seems socially inappropriate instead of "cool." And perhaps other lives will be saved by not having to be exposed to second hand

smoke. Slowly losing your ability to breathe is NOT a pretty thing, believe me. I've seen it happen to both of my parents. You definitely do not have the right to inflict that kind of damage on "you lot". Sharonlouis stott <lsstott (AT) (DOT) co.uk> wrote: i would jist like to point out that I HAVE BAD ASTHMA TOO but i smoke up to 30 a day if you dont like the smell go to a pub with out the smokers part , why should i give up for you lot ????Peter <metalscarab > wrote: Hi Teresa (or Geraldine?) >I look forward to this ban on smoking. My husband who doesn't smoke who once a week goes to play pool comes home smelling of smoke - It will be nice to know that in the future > this will not be the case :) I always dislike smelling of smoke, which until now has always been a result of going to concerts. I also have a friend who has fairly bad asthma, and can't go into smokey atmospheres - I know she is thoroughly looking forward to being able to go to gigs and pubs without putting her life in danger :-) BB Peeter Send instant messages to your online

friends http://uk.messenger. Want to start your own business? Learn how on Small Business. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Guest guest

hi jo how the hell would we be killin you we where in a smokers bar and you not ?????????????Shhhhh <compassion2grace wrote: Teresa, with socialized medicine in England I'd say it's a toss-up as to whether they make money from smoking or not. It runs up some pretty expensive medical bills. SharonGeraldine McCarthy <geraldine.mccarthy (AT) tesco (DOT) net> wrote: Hi Jo, I too lost two relatives to lung cancer due to smoking - my father and my uncle :( I have a sister who like me has never smoked, unfortunately my brother has smoked from quite an early age. When talking to my brother at times I say to him please give up smoking. I do this in a non-judgemental way, as I know that stopping smoking is a very hard thing to do - as I have been told it is one of the worst drugs to come off. Yes, afterall it is a drug to one's body! Let's be

honest here the government makes a lot of money from people smoking! People get hooked - they are then left with the consequences! I look forward to this ban on smoking. My husband who doesn't smoke who once a week goes to play pool comes home smelling of smoke - It will be nice to know that in the future this will not be the case :) Teresa - jo Friday, December 01, 2006 5:13 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July Sorry to sound brusque Louis - but I would prefer you and other smokers not to kill me. I have had a mother and uncle die of lung cancer, and it is a very nasty way to go. If you want to take the chance of killing yourself that is your choice, but I don't see why smokers should pollute the environment for everyone else. Jo - louis stott Friday, December 01, 2006 8:39 AM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July this is very sad for us smokers all it means that we shall have to go the parks etc for a fag heartwerk <jo.heartwork > wrote: Yay - whoooowhooooo - brilliant. No more sore throats and lungs after concerts!JoThe government says 600,000 people will quit as a result Smoking in

enclosed public places will be banned in England from 1 July next year, the government has announced. The ban covers virtually all enclosed public places including offices, factories, pubs and bars, but not outdoors or in private homes. It follows similar bans in the Irish Republic and Scotland - a ban in Wales starts on 2 April. Ministers say it will protect everyone from passive smoking, but opponents say the total ban is "draconian". From 1 July pubs and restaurants will have to display prominent "no smoking" signs around their premises. Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt said the ban was a "huge step forward" which would save thousands of people's lives. The cost of implementing the ban has been estimated at about £50m. Medical evidence Ms Hewitt said the ban would protect everyone from second-hand smoke, while making it easier for smokers to quit. "The scientific and

medical evidence is clear - second-hand smoke kills, causing a range of serious medical conditions including lung cancer, heart disease, and sudden infant death syndrome," she said. "This legislation will help to prevent the unnecessary deaths caused every year from second-hand smoke, and recognises that there is absolutely no safe level of exposure." SMOKING BANS Irish Republic: March 2004Scotland: March 2006Northern Ireland: April 2007Wales: April 2007England: July 2007 The government predicts about 600,000 people will give up smoking as a result of the law change. The news was welcomed by health campaigners. Dame Helena Shovelton, chief executive of the British Lung Foundation, said: "This is a victory for all those of us who have campaigned so vigorously to improve public health." She said it would reduce the death toll linked to smoking and that tens of thousands of people

with lung disease would once again be able to visit pubs and restaurants. Cancer Research UK chief, Prof Alex Markham, said 1 July would be an "historic day". "Making workplaces and enclosed public places smoke free will bring about some of the most significant health improvements the country has seen in decades," he said. [it's] typical of a government that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives Simon Clark,Forest lobby groupSend us your comments British Beer and Pub Association boss, Rob Hayward, welcomed the announcement, saying it gave businesses "greater clarity" and would allow them to prepare their customers for the changes. The Cabinet originally proposed prohibiting smoking only in pubs serving food, in line with Labour's election manifesto - but MPs eventually backed a total ban in enclosed public spaces in a free vote. Simon

Clark, director of the smokers' lobby group Forest, said that decision had been "draconian". "From July next year it will not only be illegal to smoke in every pub, club and bar in the country, it will also be impossible to set up a private club run by smokers for smokers," he said. "That's an amazing state of affairs but typical of a government that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives." The health secretary is also launching a Smokefree England campaign, to advise England's 3.7m businesses to prepare for the ban. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Want to start your own business?

Learn how on Small Business. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Guest guest

jo all im goin to say to this is we smokers have a right to smoke you non smokers have a right too what i wont to see happen is 2 lots of pubs one for smokers and one for non smokers easy as that louisheartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote: Hi LouisI thought pubs were places where you could go for a drink. Why would this automatically include the right to smoke?Jo , louis stott <lsstott wrote:>> hi jo > so whats the point of havein pubs then ???? > > peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:> When I used to smoke it was purely socially ( sic ), and always felt like a fag when I was in a pub and my mates were smoking. So possibly the wrong place to go to try to give up?> > The Valley Vegan..............> > jo <jo.heartwork wrote:> Hi Louis> > Is it not possible for you to go into a pub and not smoke? Why do you go to the pub? I presume you go for either or both of two reasons - one - to have a drink - two - to meet socially with people. You do not have to smoke to do either of those things.> > Jo Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.