IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

England smoke ban to start 1 July

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Louis

>smokein is not the only thing thats kills you breath in walkin in hi street where all the cars

> smoke out

That comparison would only work if you could use a cigarette as a mode of transport. Apart from that, the smoke in an enclosed space is far more invasive and dangerous than the emissions from cars in the open air.

> i think we should have smokers pubs and non smokers pubs we smokers are not the { only }

> smoke what kills

Brilliant idea - then the only people you'd be killing would be the staff, and they obviously don't deserve any sort of consideration, do they?

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Louis

>i would jist like to point out that I HAVE BAD ASTHMA TOO but i smoke up to 30 a day

Well that would be the reason you have bad asthma. However, you have every right to decide whether or not to risk your own health. Unfortunately until the smoking ban, those of us who choose to look after our health don't have a say in whether we should be allowed to breathe clean air.

> if you dont like the smell go to a pub with out the smokers part

Smoke drifts.

>why should i give up for you lot ????

BECAUSE YOU'RE KILLING US!!!!! Sheesh, how selfish can you get?

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Louis

> smokin is not the worst drug to come off think about it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to government figures, it is in the top five.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

That doesn't mean that it is something I should have to put up with.

Jo

-

louis stott

Saturday, December 02, 2006 4:15 PM

Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July

hi jo

smokein is not the only thing thats kills you breath in walkin in hi street where all the cars smoke out i think we should have smokers pubs and non smokers pubs we smokers are not the { only } smoke what killsGeraldine McCarthy <geraldine.mccarthy wrote:

Hi Jo,

I too lost two relatives to lung cancer due to smoking - my father and my uncle :(

I have a sister who like me has never smoked, unfortunately my brother has smoked from quite an early age. When talking to my brother at times I say to him please give up smoking. I do this in a non-judgemental way, as I know that stopping smoking is a very hard thing to do - as I have been told it is one of the worst drugs to come off. Yes, afterall it is a drug to one's body!

Let's be honest here the government makes a lot of money from people smoking! People get hooked - they are then left with the consequences!

I look forward to this ban on smoking. My husband who doesn't smoke who once a week goes to play pool comes home smelling of smoke - It will be nice to know that in the future this will not be the case :)

Teresa

-

jo

Friday, December 01, 2006 5:13 PM

Sorry to sound brusque Louis - but I would prefer you and other smokers not to kill me. I have had a mother and uncle die of lung cancer, and it is a very nasty way to go. If you want to take the chance of killing yourself that is your choice, but I don't see why smokers should pollute the environment for everyone else.

Jo

-

louis stott

Friday, December 01, 2006 8:39 AM

this is very sad for us smokers all it means that we shall have to go the parks etc for a fag heartwerk <jo.heartwork > wrote:

Yay - whoooowhooooo - brilliant. No more sore throats and lungs after concerts!JoThe government says 600,000 people will quit as a result Smoking in enclosed public places will be banned in England from 1 July next year, the government has announced. The ban covers virtually all enclosed public places including offices, factories, pubs and bars, but not outdoors or in private homes. It follows similar bans in the Irish Republic and Scotland - a ban in Wales starts on 2 April. Ministers say it will protect everyone from passive smoking, but opponents say the total ban is "draconian". From 1 July pubs and restaurants will have to display prominent "no smoking" signs around their premises. Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt said the ban was a "huge step forward" which would save thousands of people's lives. The cost of implementing the ban has been estimated at about £50m. Medical evidence Ms Hewitt said the ban would protect everyone from second-hand smoke, while making it easier for smokers to quit. "The scientific and medical evidence is clear - second-hand smoke kills, causing a range of serious medical conditions including lung cancer, heart disease, and sudden infant death syndrome," she said. "This legislation will help to prevent the unnecessary deaths caused every year from second-hand smoke, and recognises that there is absolutely no safe level of exposure." SMOKING BANS Irish Republic: March 2004Scotland: March 2006Northern Ireland: April 2007Wales: April 2007England: July 2007 The government predicts about 600,000 people will give up smoking as a result of the law change. The news was welcomed by health campaigners. Dame Helena Shovelton, chief executive of the British Lung Foundation, said: "This is a victory for all those of us who have campaigned so vigorously to improve public health." She said it would reduce the death toll linked to smoking and that tens of thousands of people with lung disease would once again be able to visit pubs and restaurants. Cancer Research UK chief, Prof Alex Markham, said 1 July would be an "historic day". "Making workplaces and enclosed public places smoke free will bring about some of the most significant health improvements the country has seen in decades," he said. [it's] typical of a government that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives Simon Clark,Forest lobby groupSend us your comments British Beer and Pub Association boss, Rob Hayward, welcomed the announcement, saying it gave businesses "greater clarity" and would allow them to prepare their customers for the changes. The Cabinet originally proposed prohibiting smoking only in pubs serving food, in line with Labour's election manifesto - but MPs eventually backed a total ban in enclosed public spaces in a free vote. Simon Clark, director of the smokers' lobby group Forest, said that decision had been "draconian". "From July next year it will not only be illegal to smoke in every pub, club and bar in the country, it will also be impossible to set up a private club run by smokers for smokers," he said. "That's an amazing state of affairs but typical of a government that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives." The health secretary is also launching a Smokefree England campaign, to advise England's 3.7m businesses to prepare for the ban.

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Guest guest

If you think about it Louis -it is particularly silly to smoke if you get asthma. Your poor lungs are already suffering - why put an extra load on them.

Jo

-

louis stott

Saturday, December 02, 2006 4:07 PM

i would jist like to point out that I HAVE BAD ASTHMA TOO but i smoke up to 30 a day if you dont like the smell go to a pub with out the smokers part , why should i give up for you lot ????Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Teresa (or Geraldine?)

>I look forward to this ban on smoking. My husband who doesn't smoke who once a week goes to play pool comes home smelling of smoke - It will be nice to know that in the future

> this will not be the case :)

I always dislike smelling of smoke, which until now has always been a result of going to concerts. I also have a friend who has fairly bad asthma, and can't go into smokey atmospheres - I know she is thoroughly looking forward to being able to go to gigs and pubs without putting her life in danger :-)

BB

Peeter

Guest guest

Hi Louis,

I am thinking about it. All I can say that going on the experiences of two of my friends who used to be smokers and have now given up smoking - they said the actual process for them of giving up smoking was awful. One of my friends said that now she has given up smoking how much better she feels and that for years (looking back) she was in denial of how bad smoking was for her. I appreciate there are other drugs of what ever kind that must be terribly hard to come off, but going on my friends experience with giving up smoking it wasn't at all easy for them.

As I said in an earlier post I lost two relatives to smoking related diseases who I loved dearly. We all make our own choices in life with what we want to do - as people who want to smoke do. Unfortunately smoke knows no boundaries if people are sharing the same space - so here lies the problem between smokers and non-smokers.

Teresa

-

louis stott

Saturday, December 02, 2006 4:22 PM

hi teresa

smokin is not the worst drug to come off think about it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Geraldine McCarthy <geraldine.mccarthy (AT) tesco (DOT) net> wrote:

Hi Jo,

I too lost two relatives to lung cancer due to smoking - my father and my uncle :(

I have a sister who like me has never smoked, unfortunately my brother has smoked from quite an early age. When talking to my brother at times I say to him please give up smoking. I do this in a non-judgemental way, as I know that stopping smoking is a very hard thing to do - as I have been told it is one of the worst drugs to come off. Yes, afterall it is a drug to one's body!

Let's be honest here the government makes a lot of money from people smoking! People get hooked - they are then left with the consequences!

I look forward to this ban on smoking. My husband who doesn't smoke who once a week goes to play pool comes home smelling of smoke - It will be nice to know that in the future this will not be the case :)

Teresa

-

jo

Sorry to sound brusque Louis - but I would prefer you and other smokers not to kill me. I have had a mother and uncle die of lung cancer, and it is a very nasty way to go. If you want to take the chance of killing yourself that is your choice, but I don't see why smokers should pollute the environment for everyone else.

Jo

-

louis stott

this is very sad for us smokers all it means that we shall have to go the parks etc for a fag heartwerk <jo.heartwork > wrote:

Yay - whoooowhooooo - brilliant. No more sore throats and lungs after concerts!JoThe government says 600,000 people will quit as a result Smoking in enclosed public places will be banned in England from 1 July next year, the government has announced. The ban covers virtually all enclosed public places including offices, factories, pubs and bars, but not outdoors or in private homes. It follows similar bans in the Irish Republic and Scotland - a ban in Wales starts on 2 April. Ministers say it will protect everyone from passive smoking, but opponents say the total ban is "draconian". From 1 July pubs and restaurants will have to display prominent "no smoking" signs around their premises. Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt said the ban was a "huge step forward" which would save thousands of people's lives. The cost of implementing the ban has been estimated at about £50m. Medical evidence Ms Hewitt said the ban would protect everyone from second-hand smoke, while making it easier for smokers to quit. "The scientific and medical evidence is clear - second-hand smoke kills, causing a range of serious medical conditions including lung cancer, heart disease, and sudden infant death syndrome," she said. "This legislation will help to prevent the unnecessary deaths caused every year from second-hand smoke, and recognises that there is absolutely no safe level of exposure." SMOKING BANS Irish Republic: March 2004Scotland: March 2006Northern Ireland: April 2007Wales: April 2007England: July 2007 The government predicts about 600,000 people will give up smoking as a result of the law change. The news was welcomed by health campaigners. Dame Helena Shovelton, chief executive of the British Lung Foundation, said: "This is a victory for all those of us who have campaigned so vigorously to improve public health." She said it would reduce the death toll linked to smoking and that tens of thousands of people with lung disease would once again be able to visit pubs and restaurants. Cancer Research UK chief, Prof Alex Markham, said 1 July would be an "historic day". "Making workplaces and enclosed public places smoke free will bring about some of the most significant health improvements the country has seen in decades," he said. [it's] typical of a government that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives Simon Clark,Forest lobby groupSend us your comments British Beer and Pub Association boss, Rob Hayward, welcomed the announcement, saying it gave businesses "greater clarity" and would allow them to prepare their customers for the changes. The Cabinet originally proposed prohibiting smoking only in pubs serving food, in line with Labour's election manifesto - but MPs eventually backed a total ban in enclosed public spaces in a free vote. Simon Clark, director of the smokers' lobby group Forest, said that decision had been "draconian". "From July next year it will not only be illegal to smoke in every pub, club and bar in the country, it will also be impossible to set up a private club run by smokers for smokers," he said. "That's an amazing state of affairs but typical of a government that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives." The health secretary is also launching a Smokefree England campaign, to advise England's 3.7m businesses to prepare for the ban.

Guest guest

hi jo i do see your point sort off . but why cart we have 2 sorts of pubs i.e smokers and no smokers ones EASY EVER ONE HAPPY LOUISjo <jo.heartwork wrote: That doesn't mean that it is something I should have to put up with. Jo - louis stott Saturday, December 02, 2006 4:15 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo smokein is not the only thing thats kills you breath in walkin in hi street where all the cars smoke out i think we should have smokers pubs and non smokers pubs we smokers are not the { only } smoke what killsGeraldine McCarthy <geraldine.mccarthy (AT) tesco (DOT) net> wrote: Hi Jo, I too lost two relatives to lung cancer due to smoking - my father and my uncle :( I have a sister who like me has never smoked, unfortunately my brother has smoked from quite an early age. When talking to my brother at times I say to him please give up smoking. I do this in a non-judgemental way, as I know that stopping smoking is a very hard thing to do - as I have been told it is one of the worst drugs to come off. Yes,

afterall it is a drug to one's body! Let's be honest here the government makes a lot of money from people smoking! People get hooked - they are then left with the consequences! I look forward to this ban on smoking. My husband who doesn't smoke who once a week goes to play pool comes home smelling of smoke - It will be nice to know that in the future this will not be the case :) Teresa - jo Friday, December 01, 2006 5:13 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July Sorry to sound brusque Louis - but I would prefer you and other smokers not to kill me. I have had a mother and uncle die of lung cancer, and it is a very nasty way to go. If you want to take the chance of killing yourself that is your choice, but I don't see why smokers should pollute the environment for everyone else. Jo - louis stott Friday, December 01, 2006 8:39 AM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July this is very sad for us smokers all it means that we shall have to go the parks etc for a fag heartwerk <jo.heartwork > wrote: Yay - whoooowhooooo -

brilliant. No more sore throats and lungs after concerts!JoThe government says 600,000 people will quit as a result Smoking in enclosed public places will be banned in England from 1 July next year, the government has announced. The ban covers virtually all enclosed public places including offices, factories, pubs and bars, but not outdoors or in private homes. It follows similar bans in the Irish Republic and Scotland - a ban in Wales starts on 2 April. Ministers say it will protect everyone from passive smoking, but opponents say the total ban is "draconian". From 1 July pubs and restaurants will have to display prominent "no smoking" signs around their premises. Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt said the ban was a "huge step forward" which would save thousands of people's lives. The cost of implementing the ban has been estimated at about £50m. Medical evidence

Ms Hewitt said the ban would protect everyone from second-hand smoke, while making it easier for smokers to quit. "The scientific and medical evidence is clear - second-hand smoke kills, causing a range of serious medical conditions including lung cancer, heart disease, and sudden infant death syndrome," she said. "This legislation will help to prevent the unnecessary deaths caused every year from second-hand smoke, and recognises that there is absolutely no safe level of exposure." SMOKING BANS Irish Republic: March 2004Scotland: March 2006Northern Ireland: April 2007Wales: April 2007England: July 2007 The government predicts about 600,000 people will give up smoking as a result of the law change. The news was welcomed by health campaigners. Dame Helena Shovelton, chief executive of the British Lung Foundation, said: "This is a victory for all those of us who have

campaigned so vigorously to improve public health." She said it would reduce the death toll linked to smoking and that tens of thousands of people with lung disease would once again be able to visit pubs and restaurants. Cancer Research UK chief, Prof Alex Markham, said 1 July would be an "historic day". "Making workplaces and enclosed public places smoke free will bring about some of the most significant health improvements the country has seen in decades," he said. [it's] typical of a government that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives Simon Clark,Forest lobby groupSend us your comments British Beer and Pub Association boss, Rob Hayward, welcomed the announcement, saying it gave businesses "greater clarity" and would allow them to prepare their customers for the changes. The Cabinet originally proposed prohibiting smoking only in pubs

serving food, in line with Labour's election manifesto - but MPs eventually backed a total ban in enclosed public spaces in a free vote. Simon Clark, director of the smokers' lobby group Forest, said that decision had been "draconian". "From July next year it will not only be illegal to smoke in every pub, club and bar in the country, it will also be impossible to set up a private club run by smokers for smokers," he said. "That's an amazing state of affairs but typical of a government that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives." The health secretary is also launching a Smokefree England campaign, to advise England's 3.7m businesses to prepare for the ban. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Guest guest

hi jo good point i know all this but i would like to say i dont take any pumps tablets for this ever i put up with it , now if i gave up what i could do atnytime i would prob jrink more louis jo <jo.heartwork wrote: If you think about it Louis -it is particularly silly to smoke if you get asthma. Your poor lungs are already suffering - why put an extra load on them. Jo - louis stott Saturday, December 02, 2006 4:07 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July i would jist like to point out that I HAVE BAD ASTHMA TOO but i smoke up to 30 a day if you dont like the smell go to a pub with out the smokers part , why should i give up for you lot ????Peter <metalscarab > wrote: Hi Teresa (or Geraldine?) >I look forward to this ban on smoking. My husband who doesn't smoke who once a week goes to play pool comes home smelling of smoke - It will be nice to know that in the future > this will not be the case :) I always dislike smelling of smoke, which until now has always been a result of going to concerts. I also have a friend who has fairly bad asthma, and can't go into smokey atmospheres - I know she is thoroughly looking forward to being able to go

to gigs and pubs without putting her life in danger :-) BB Peeter Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Guest guest

hi geraldine ill reply later on today to this when i got bit more time louisGeraldine McCarthy <geraldine.mccarthy wrote: Hi Louis, I am thinking about it. All I can say that going on the experiences of two of my friends who used to be smokers and have now given up smoking - they said the actual process

for them of giving up smoking was awful. One of my friends said that now she has given up smoking how much better she feels and that for years (looking back) she was in denial of how bad smoking was for her. I appreciate there are other drugs of what ever kind that must be terribly hard to come off, but going on my friends experience with giving up smoking it wasn't at all easy for them. As I said in an earlier post I lost two relatives to smoking related diseases who I loved dearly. We all make our own choices in life with what we want to do - as people who want to smoke do. Unfortunately smoke knows no boundaries if people are sharing the same space - so here lies the problem between smokers and non-smokers. Teresa - louis stott Saturday, December 02, 2006 4:22 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi teresa smokin is not the worst drug to come off think about it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Geraldine McCarthy <geraldine.mccarthy (AT) tesco (DOT) net> wrote: Hi Jo, I too lost two relatives to lung cancer due to smoking - my father and my uncle :( I have a sister who like me has never smoked, unfortunately my brother has smoked from quite an early age. When talking to my brother at times I say to him please give up smoking. I do this in a non-judgemental way, as I know that stopping smoking is a very hard thing to do - as I have been told it is one of the worst drugs to come off. Yes, afterall it is a drug to one's body! Let's be honest here the government makes a lot of money from people smoking! People get hooked - they are then left with the consequences! I look forward to this ban on smoking. My husband who doesn't smoke who once a week goes to play pool comes home smelling of smoke - It will be nice to know that in the future this will not be the case :) Teresa - jo Friday, December 01, 2006 5:13 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July Sorry to sound brusque Louis - but I would prefer you and other smokers not to kill me. I have had a mother and uncle die of lung cancer, and it is a very nasty way to go. If you want to take the chance of killing yourself that is your choice, but I don't see why smokers should pollute the environment for everyone else. Jo - louis stott Friday, December 01, 2006 8:39 AM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July this is very sad for us smokers all it means that we shall have to go the parks etc for a fag heartwerk <jo.heartwork > wrote: Yay - whoooowhooooo - brilliant. No more sore throats and lungs after concerts!JoThe government says 600,000 people will quit

as a result Smoking in enclosed public places will be banned in England from 1 July next year, the government has announced. The ban covers virtually all enclosed public places including offices, factories, pubs and bars, but not outdoors or in private homes. It follows similar bans in the Irish Republic and Scotland - a ban in Wales starts on 2 April. Ministers say it will protect everyone from passive smoking, but opponents say the total ban is "draconian". From 1 July pubs and restaurants will have to display prominent "no smoking" signs around their premises. Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt said the ban was a "huge step forward" which would save thousands of people's lives. The cost of implementing the ban has been estimated at about £50m. Medical evidence Ms Hewitt said the ban would protect everyone from second-hand smoke, while making it easier for smokers to quit.

"The scientific and medical evidence is clear - second-hand smoke kills, causing a range of serious medical conditions including lung cancer, heart disease, and sudden infant death syndrome," she said. "This legislation will help to prevent the unnecessary deaths caused every year from second-hand smoke, and recognises that there is absolutely no safe level of exposure." SMOKING BANS Irish Republic: March 2004Scotland: March 2006Northern Ireland: April 2007Wales: April 2007England: July 2007 The government predicts about 600,000 people will give up smoking as a result of the law change. The news was welcomed by health campaigners. Dame Helena Shovelton, chief executive of the British Lung Foundation, said: "This is a victory for all those of us who have campaigned so vigorously to improve public health." She said it would reduce the death toll linked to smoking and that

tens of thousands of people with lung disease would once again be able to visit pubs and restaurants. Cancer Research UK chief, Prof Alex Markham, said 1 July would be an "historic day". "Making workplaces and enclosed public places smoke free will bring about some of the most significant health improvements the country has seen in decades," he said. [it's] typical of a government that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives Simon Clark,Forest lobby groupSend us your comments British Beer and Pub Association boss, Rob Hayward, welcomed the announcement, saying it gave businesses "greater clarity" and would allow them to prepare their customers for the changes. The Cabinet originally proposed prohibiting smoking only in pubs serving food, in line with Labour's election manifesto - but MPs eventually backed a total ban in enclosed public spaces in a

free vote. Simon Clark, director of the smokers' lobby group Forest, said that decision had been "draconian". "From July next year it will not only be illegal to smoke in every pub, club and bar in the country, it will also be impossible to set up a private club run by smokers for smokers," he said. "That's an amazing state of affairs but typical of a government that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives." The health secretary is also launching a Smokefree England campaign, to advise England's 3.7m businesses to prepare for the ban. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages

to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

Guest guest

Hi Geraldine

I used to smoke, a lot. I found it easy to give up. I have never taken any other drugs and don't drink so can't make a comparison. The ony thing I can say about giving something up is - it is difficult if you don't want to give it up, and easy if you do.

Jo

-

Geraldine McCarthy

Sunday, December 03, 2006 10:56 AM

Hi Louis,

I am thinking about it. All I can say that going on the experiences of two of my friends who used to be smokers and have now given up smoking - they said the actual process for them of giving up smoking was awful. One of my friends said that now she has given up smoking how much better she feels and that for years (looking back) she was in denial of how bad smoking was for her. I appreciate there are other drugs of what ever kind that must be terribly hard to come off, but going on my friends experience with giving up smoking it wasn't at all easy for them.

As I said in an earlier post I lost two relatives to smoking related diseases who I loved dearly. We all make our own choices in life with what we want to do - as people who want to smoke do. Unfortunately smoke knows no boundaries if people are sharing the same space - so here lies the problem between smokers and non-smokers.

Teresa

-

louis stott

Saturday, December 02, 2006 4:22 PM

hi teresa

smokin is not the worst drug to come off think about it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Geraldine McCarthy <geraldine.mccarthy (AT) tesco (DOT) net> wrote:

Hi Jo,

Teresa

-

jo

Jo

-

louis stott

Guest guest

Hi Louis

I think if you can manage without any inhalers you do not have bad asthma. Maybe what you have is something different.

My husband gets asthma occasionally. Usually it is okay but a couple of years ago he ended up on steroids for a week. It was frightening to see him - I can only imagine what it felt like - but something like drowning I would imagine.

Peter's best friend at school died of asthma when he was about 12.

Jo

-

louis stott

Sunday, December 03, 2006 11:08 AM

hi jo

good point i know all this but i would like to say i dont take any pumps tablets for this ever i put up with it , now if i gave up what i could do atnytime i would prob jrink more

louis jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

If you think about it Louis -it is particularly silly to smoke if you get asthma. Your poor lungs are already suffering - why put an extra load on them.

Jo

-

louis stott

i would jist like to point out that I HAVE BAD ASTHMA TOO but i smoke up to 30 a day if you dont like the smell go to a pub with out the smokers part , why should i give up for you lot ????Peter <metalscarab > wrote:

>I look forward to this ban on smoking. My husband who doesn't smoke who once a week goes to play pool comes home smelling of smoke - It will be nice to know that in the future

I always dislike smelling of smoke, which until now has always been a result of going to concerts. I also have a friend who has fairly bad asthma, and can't go into smokey atmospheres - I know she is thoroughly looking forward to being able to go to gigs and pubs without putting her life in danger :-)

BB

Peeter

Guest guest

whoa there louis

take it easy

its early in the AM, and shouting is forbidden til at least noon

louis stott Dec 2, 2006 8:22 AM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July

hi teresa

smokin is not the worst drug to come off think about it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Geraldine McCarthy <geraldine.mccarthy wrote:

Hi Jo,

Teresa

-

jo

Jo

-

louis stott

History repeats itself

and each time the price gets higher

Guest guest

It would not be a good idea to have two sorts of pubs because people still have to work in them and why should they be exposed to everyone else's smoke. Smoking is not a necessity - it doesn't even make life easier.

It's about time to be honest Louis and admit that your habit is a pain in the neck to a lot of other people, and very dangerous for them too.

Jo

-

louis stott

Sunday, December 03, 2006 11:01 AM

hi jo

i do see your point sort off . but why cart we have 2 sorts of pubs i.e smokers and no smokers ones EASY EVER ONE HAPPY

LOUISjo <jo.heartwork wrote:

Jo

-

louis stott

hi jo

smokein is not the only thing thats kills you breath in walkin in hi street where all the cars smoke out i think we should have smokers pubs and non smokers pubs we smokers are not the { only } smoke what killsGeraldine McCarthy <geraldine.mccarthy (AT) tesco (DOT) net> wrote:

Hi Jo,

Teresa

-

jo

Jo

-

louis stott

Guest guest

Hi Fraggle

Did you get woken up :-)

My boss is a quiet, pleasant person. Quite early this morning, while we were all working away he suddenly picked up his keyboard and shouted 'Can somebody help me get the information I need'! LOL - it made us all laugh. Poor chap was trying to make head or tail of our new database - we've all had training on it, but he hadn't. It woke us all up and he looked very sheepish for acting so out of character.

Jo

-

fraggle

Monday, December 04, 2006 6:32 PM

whoa there louis

take it easy

its early in the AM, and shouting is forbidden til at least noon

louis stott Dec 2, 2006 8:22 AM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July

hi teresa

smokin is not the worst drug to come off think about it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Geraldine McCarthy <geraldine.mccarthy wrote:

Hi Jo,

Teresa

-

jo

Jo

-

louis stott

History repeats itself

and each time the price gets higher

Guest guest

Unless everyone who worked there was a smoker and didnt mind?I can just picture it now................... yellowing walls, the sound of hacking at the bar,spittoons could make a comeback for all the phlegm, and bits of lung?....maybe they could sell oxygen as well as beer?...the yellow fingered darts team...........and maybe they could have a private chest clinic around the back, it could make a bomb......... The Valley Vegan............. It would

not be a good idea to have two sorts of pubs because people still have to work in them and why should they be exposed to everyone else's smoke. Smoking is not a necessity - it doesn't even make life easier. It's about time to be honest Louis and admit that your habit is a pain in the neck to a lot of other people, and very dangerous for them too. Jo - louis stott

Sunday, December 03, 2006 11:01 AM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo i do see your point sort off . but why cart we have 2 sorts of pubs i.e smokers and no smokers ones EASY EVER ONE HAPPY LOUISjo <jo.heartwork > wrote: That doesn't mean that it is something I should have to put up with. Jo -

louis stott Saturday, December 02, 2006 4:15 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo smokein is not the only thing thats kills you breath in walkin in hi street where all the cars smoke out i think we should have smokers pubs and non smokers pubs we smokers are not the { only } smoke what killsGeraldine McCarthy <geraldine.mccarthy (AT) tesco (DOT) net> wrote: Hi Jo, I too lost two relatives to lung cancer due to smoking - my father and my uncle :( I have a sister who like me has never smoked, unfortunately my brother has smoked from quite an early age. When talking to my brother at times I say to him please give up smoking. I do this in a non-judgemental way, as I know that stopping smoking is a very hard thing to do - as I have been told it is one of the worst drugs to come off. Yes, afterall it is a drug to one's body! Let's be honest here the government makes a lot of money from people smoking! People get hooked - they are then left with the consequences! I look forward to this ban on smoking. My husband who doesn't smoke who once a week goes to play pool comes home smelling of smoke - It will be nice to know that in the future this will not be the case :) Teresa - jo

Friday, December 01, 2006 5:13 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July Sorry to sound brusque Louis - but I would prefer you and other smokers not to kill me. I have had a mother and uncle die of lung cancer, and it is a very nasty way to go. If you want to take the chance of killing yourself that is your choice, but I don't see why smokers should pollute the environment for everyone else. Jo ----- Original Message

----- louis stott Friday, December 01, 2006 8:39 AM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July this is very sad for us smokers all it means that we shall have to go the parks etc for a fag heartwerk <jo.heartwork > wrote: Yay - whoooowhooooo - brilliant. No more sore throats and lungs after concerts!JoThe government says

600,000 people will quit as a result Smoking in enclosed public places will be banned in England from 1 July next year, the government has announced. The ban covers virtually all enclosed public places including offices, factories, pubs and bars, but not outdoors or in private homes. It follows similar bans in the Irish Republic and Scotland - a ban in Wales starts on 2 April. Ministers say it will protect everyone from passive smoking, but opponents say the total ban is "draconian". From 1 July pubs and restaurants will have to display prominent "no smoking" signs around their premises. Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt said the ban was a "huge step forward" which would save thousands of people's lives. The cost of implementing the ban has been estimated at about £50m. Medical evidence Ms Hewitt said the ban would protect everyone from second-hand smoke, while making it easier

for smokers to quit. "The scientific and medical evidence is clear - second-hand smoke kills, causing a range of serious medical conditions including lung cancer, heart disease, and sudden infant death syndrome," she said. "This legislation will help to prevent the unnecessary deaths caused every year from second-hand smoke, and recognises that there is absolutely no safe level of exposure." SMOKING BANS Irish Republic: March 2004Scotland: March 2006Northern Ireland: April 2007Wales: April 2007England: July 2007 The government predicts about 600,000 people will give up smoking as a result of the law change. The news was welcomed by health campaigners. Dame Helena Shovelton, chief executive of the British Lung Foundation, said: "This is a victory for all those of us who have campaigned so vigorously to improve public health." She said it would reduce the death toll linked to

smoking and that tens of thousands of people with lung disease would once again be able to visit pubs and restaurants. Cancer Research UK chief, Prof Alex Markham, said 1 July would be an "historic day". "Making workplaces and enclosed public places smoke free will bring about some of the most significant health improvements the country has seen in decades," he said. [it's] typical of a government that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives Simon Clark,Forest lobby groupSend us your comments British Beer and Pub Association boss, Rob Hayward, welcomed the announcement, saying it gave businesses "greater clarity" and would allow them to prepare their customers for the changes. The Cabinet originally proposed prohibiting smoking only in pubs serving food, in line with Labour's election manifesto - but MPs eventually backed a total ban in enclosed

public spaces in a free vote. Simon Clark, director of the smokers' lobby group Forest, said that decision had been "draconian". "From July next year it will not only be illegal to smoke in every pub, club and bar in the country, it will also be impossible to set up a private club run by smokers for smokers," he said. "That's an amazing state of affairs but typical of a government that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives." The health secretary is also launching a Smokefree England campaign, to advise England's 3.7m businesses to prepare for the ban. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Peter H

Guest guest

hi jo in reply to your email i dont get it bad bad at toll i get it one bout ever 2 mths so thats not bad is it ? i would like to say again to you is i do not take pumps or tabs for this as im vegan all i do when i get it is SLEEP SLEEP SLEEP AND SLEEP it works for me . as for peters freind thats sad news . louisjo <jo.heartwork wrote: Hi Louis I think if you can manage without any inhalers you do not have bad asthma. Maybe what you have is something different. My husband gets asthma occasionally. Usually it is okay but a couple of years ago he ended up on steroids for a week. It was frightening to see him - I can only imagine what it felt like - but something like drowning I would imagine. Peter's best friend at school died of asthma when he was about 12. Jo - louis stott Sunday, December 03, 2006 11:08 AM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo good point i know all this but i would like to say i dont take any pumps tablets for this ever i put up with it , now if i gave up what i could do atnytime i would prob jrink more louis jo <jo.heartwork > wrote: If you think about it Louis -it is particularly silly to smoke if you get asthma. Your poor lungs are already suffering - why put an extra load on them. Jo - louis stott Saturday, December 02, 2006 4:07 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July i would jist like to point out that I HAVE BAD ASTHMA TOO but

i smoke up to 30 a day if you dont like the smell go to a pub with out the smokers part , why should i give up for you lot ????Peter <metalscarab > wrote: Hi Teresa (or Geraldine?) >I look forward to this ban on smoking. My husband who doesn't smoke who once a week goes to play pool comes home smelling of smoke - It will be nice to know that in the future > this will not be the case :) I always dislike smelling of smoke, which until now has always been a result of going to

concerts. I also have a friend who has fairly bad asthma, and can't go into smokey atmospheres - I know she is thoroughly looking forward to being able to go to gigs and pubs without putting her life in danger :-) BB Peeter Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Try the all-new Mail . "The New Version is radically easier to use" – The Wall Street Journal

Guest guest

hi jo no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no............. yes i still think we should have 2 sorts of pubs most staff who i now who work in pubs yes PUBS smoke smoke smoke smoke i do not think my habit is pain at toll louisjo <jo.heartwork wrote: It would not be a good idea to have two sorts of pubs because people still have to work in them and why

should they be exposed to everyone else's smoke. Smoking is not a necessity - it doesn't even make life easier. It's about time to be honest Louis and admit that your habit is a pain in the neck to a lot of other people, and very dangerous for them too. Jo - louis stott Sunday, December 03, 2006 11:01 AM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo i do see your point sort off . but why cart we have 2 sorts of pubs i.e smokers and no smokers ones EASY EVER ONE HAPPY LOUISjo <jo.heartwork > wrote: That doesn't mean that it is something I should have to put up with. Jo - louis stott Saturday, December 02, 2006 4:15 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo smokein is not the only thing thats kills you breath in walkin in hi street where all the cars smoke out i think we should have smokers pubs and non smokers pubs we smokers are not the { only } smoke what killsGeraldine McCarthy <geraldine.mccarthy (AT) tesco (DOT) net> wrote: Hi Jo, I too lost two relatives to lung cancer due to smoking - my father and my uncle :( I have a sister who like me has never smoked, unfortunately my brother has smoked from quite an early age. When talking to my brother at times I say to him please give up smoking. I do this in a non-judgemental way, as I know that stopping smoking is a very hard thing to do - as I have been told it is one of the worst drugs to come off. Yes, afterall it is a drug to one's body! Let's be honest here the government

makes a lot of money from people smoking! People get hooked - they are then left with the consequences! I look forward to this ban on smoking. My husband who doesn't smoke who once a week goes to play pool comes home smelling of smoke - It will be nice to know that in the future this will not be the case :) Teresa - jo Friday, December 01, 2006 5:13 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July Sorry to sound brusque Louis - but I would prefer you and other smokers not to kill me. I have had a mother and uncle die of lung cancer, and it is a very nasty way to go. If you want to take the chance of killing yourself that is your choice, but I don't see why smokers should pollute the environment for everyone else. Jo - louis stott Friday, December 01, 2006 8:39 AM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July this is very sad for us smokers all it means that we shall have to go the parks etc for a fag heartwerk <jo.heartwork > wrote: Yay - whoooowhooooo - brilliant. No more sore throats and lungs after concerts!JoThe government says 600,000 people will quit as a result Smoking in enclosed public places will be

banned in England from 1 July next year, the government has announced. The ban covers virtually all enclosed public places including offices, factories, pubs and bars, but not outdoors or in private homes. It follows similar bans in the Irish Republic and Scotland - a ban in Wales starts on 2 April. Ministers say it will protect everyone from passive smoking, but opponents say the total ban is "draconian". From 1 July pubs and restaurants will have to display prominent "no smoking" signs around their premises. Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt said the ban was a "huge step forward" which would save thousands of people's lives. The cost of implementing the ban has been estimated at about £50m. Medical evidence Ms Hewitt said the ban would protect everyone from second-hand smoke, while making it easier for smokers to quit. "The scientific and medical evidence is clear -

second-hand smoke kills, causing a range of serious medical conditions including lung cancer, heart disease, and sudden infant death syndrome," she said. "This legislation will help to prevent the unnecessary deaths caused every year from second-hand smoke, and recognises that there is absolutely no safe level of exposure." SMOKING BANS Irish Republic: March 2004Scotland: March 2006Northern Ireland: April 2007Wales: April 2007England: July 2007 The government predicts about 600,000 people will give up smoking as a result of the law change. The news was welcomed by health campaigners. Dame Helena Shovelton, chief executive of the British Lung Foundation, said: "This is a victory for all those of us who have campaigned so vigorously to improve public health." She said it would reduce the death toll linked to smoking and that tens of thousands of people with lung disease would once

again be able to visit pubs and restaurants. Cancer Research UK chief, Prof Alex Markham, said 1 July would be an "historic day". "Making workplaces and enclosed public places smoke free will bring about some of the most significant health improvements the country has seen in decades," he said. [it's] typical of a government that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives Simon Clark,Forest lobby groupSend us your comments British Beer and Pub Association boss, Rob Hayward, welcomed the announcement, saying it gave businesses "greater clarity" and would allow them to prepare their customers for the changes. The Cabinet originally proposed prohibiting smoking only in pubs serving food, in line with Labour's election manifesto - but MPs eventually backed a total ban in enclosed public spaces in a free vote. Simon Clark, director of the smokers'

lobby group Forest, said that decision had been "draconian". "From July next year it will not only be illegal to smoke in every pub, club and bar in the country, it will also be impossible to set up a private club run by smokers for smokers," he said. "That's an amazing state of affairs but typical of a government that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives." The health secretary is also launching a Smokefree England campaign, to advise England's 3.7m businesses to prepare for the ban. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Guest guest

come on now thats bein silley know peter VV <swpgh01 wrote: Unless everyone who worked there was a smoker and didnt mind?I can just picture it now................... yellowing walls, the sound of hacking at the bar,spittoons could make a comeback for all the phlegm, and bits of lung?....maybe they could sell oxygen as well as beer?...the yellow fingered darts team...........and maybe they could have a private chest clinic around the back, it could make a bomb......... The Valley Vegan............. It would not be a good idea to have two sorts of pubs because people still have to work in them and why should they be exposed to everyone else's smoke. Smoking is not a necessity - it doesn't even make life easier. It's about time to be honest Louis and admit that your habit is a pain in the neck to a lot of other people, and very dangerous for them too. Jo - louis stott Sunday, December 03, 2006 11:01 AM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo i do see your point sort off . but why cart we have 2 sorts of pubs i.e smokers and no smokers ones EASY EVER ONE HAPPY LOUISjo <jo.heartwork > wrote: That doesn't mean that it is something I should have to

put up with. Jo - louis stott Saturday, December 02, 2006 4:15 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July hi jo smokein is not the only thing thats kills you breath in walkin in hi street where all the cars smoke out i think we should have smokers pubs

and non smokers pubs we smokers are not the { only } smoke what killsGeraldine McCarthy <geraldine.mccarthy (AT) tesco (DOT) net> wrote: Hi Jo, I too lost two relatives to lung cancer due to smoking - my father and my uncle :( I have a sister who like me has never smoked, unfortunately my brother has smoked from quite an early age. When talking to my brother at times I say to him please give up smoking. I do this in a non-judgemental way, as I know

that stopping smoking is a very hard thing to do - as I have been told it is one of the worst drugs to come off. Yes, afterall it is a drug to one's body! Let's be honest here the government makes a lot of money from people smoking! People get hooked - they are then left with the consequences! I look forward to this ban on smoking. My husband who doesn't smoke who once a week goes to play pool comes home smelling of smoke - It will be nice to know that in the future this will not be the case :) Teresa - jo Friday, December 01, 2006 5:13 PM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July Sorry to sound brusque Louis - but I would prefer you and other smokers not to kill me. I have had a mother and uncle die of lung cancer, and it is a very nasty way to go. If you want to take the chance of killing yourself that is your choice, but I don't see why smokers should pollute the environment for everyone

else. Jo - louis stott Friday, December 01, 2006 8:39 AM Re: England smoke ban to start 1 July this is very sad for us smokers all it means that we shall have to go the parks etc for a fag heartwerk <jo.heartwork > wrote: Yay - whoooowhooooo - brilliant. No more sore throats and lungs after concerts!JoThe government says 600,000 people will quit as a result Smoking in enclosed public places will be banned in England from 1 July next year, the government has announced. The ban covers virtually all enclosed public places including offices, factories, pubs and bars, but not outdoors or in private homes. It follows similar bans in the Irish Republic and Scotland - a ban in Wales starts on 2 April. Ministers say it will protect everyone from passive smoking, but opponents say the total ban is "draconian". From 1 July pubs and restaurants will have to display prominent "no smoking" signs around their premises. Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt said the ban was a "huge step forward" which would save thousands

of people's lives. The cost of implementing the ban has been estimated at about £50m. Medical evidence Ms Hewitt said the ban would protect everyone from second-hand smoke, while making it easier for smokers to quit. "The scientific and medical evidence is clear - second-hand smoke kills, causing a range of serious medical conditions including lung cancer, heart disease, and sudden infant death syndrome," she said. "This legislation will help to prevent the unnecessary deaths caused every year from second-hand smoke, and recognises that there is absolutely no safe level of exposure." SMOKING BANS Irish Republic: March 2004Scotland: March 2006Northern Ireland: April 2007Wales: April 2007England: July 2007 The government predicts about 600,000 people will give up smoking as a result of the law change. The news was welcomed by health campaigners. Dame Helena Shovelton,

chief executive of the British Lung Foundation, said: "This is a victory for all those of us who have campaigned so vigorously to improve public health." She said it would reduce the death toll linked to smoking and that tens of thousands of people with lung disease would once again be able to visit pubs and restaurants. Cancer Research UK chief, Prof Alex Markham, said 1 July would be an "historic day". "Making workplaces and enclosed public places smoke free will bring about some of the most significant health improvements the country has seen in decades," he said. [it's] typical of a government that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives Simon Clark,Forest lobby groupSend us your comments British Beer and Pub Association boss, Rob Hayward, welcomed the announcement, saying it gave businesses "greater clarity" and would allow them to prepare

their customers for the changes. The Cabinet originally proposed prohibiting smoking only in pubs serving food, in line with Labour's election manifesto - but MPs eventually backed a total ban in enclosed public spaces in a free vote. Simon Clark, director of the smokers' lobby group Forest, said that decision had been "draconian". "From July next year it will not only be illegal to smoke in every pub, club and bar in the country, it will also be impossible to set up a private club run by smokers for smokers," he said. "That's an amazing state of affairs but typical of a government that seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives." The health secretary is also launching a Smokefree England campaign, to advise England's 3.7m businesses to prepare for the ban. Send instant messages to your online friends

http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Peter H Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Try the all-new Mail . "The New Version is radically easier to use" – The Wall Street Journal

Guest guest

What a picture - sounds like the old westerns I used to watch as a kid :-)

Jo

-

peter VV

Monday, December 04, 2006 6:52 PM

Unless everyone who worked there was a smoker and didnt mind?I can just picture it now...................

yellowing walls, the sound of hacking at the bar,spittoons could make a comeback for all the phlegm, and bits of lung?....maybe they could sell oxygen as well as beer?...the yellow fingered darts team...........and maybe they could have a private chest clinic around the back, it could make a bomb.........

The Valley Vegan.............

It would not be a good idea to have two sorts of pubs because people still have to work in them and why should they be exposed to everyone else's smoke. Smoking is not a necessity - it doesn't even make life easier.

It's about time to be honest Louis and admit that your habit is a pain in the neck to a lot of other people, and very dangerous for them too.

Jo

-

louis stott

hi jo

i do see your point sort off . but why cart we have 2 sorts of pubs i.e smokers and no smokers ones EASY EVER ONE HAPPY

LOUISjo <jo.heartwork > wrote:

Jo

-

louis stott

hi jo

smokein is not the only thing thats kills you breath in walkin in hi street where all the cars smoke out i think we should have smokers pubs and non smokers pubs we smokers are not the { only } smoke what killsGeraldine McCarthy <geraldine.mccarthy (AT) tesco (DOT) net> wrote:

Hi Jo,

Teresa

-

jo

Jo

-

louis stott

Peter H

Guest guest

Gosh, is there any other way to live? I remember when you would walk through the grocery store and there would be people smoking. My dad, who died of complications of lung cancer and emphysema, was allowed to smoke in the hospital on his death bed. But no smoking in public places has been the law in California for so long now I can't imagine it being any other way. I admit to being a former smoker, but even passing someone smoking on the street bothers me. I loved Las Vegas, but seriously the smoke will almost kill you. peace, sharonfraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: and all my english friends would come over and complain righteously about california's no -smoking laws....they are absolutely livid right now...>heartwerk <jo.heartwork >>Nov 30, 2006 11:33 PM> > England smoke ban to start 1 July>>Yay - whoooowhooooo - brilliant. No more sore throats and lungs >after concerts!>>Jo> >The government says 600,000 people will quit as a result >Smoking in enclosed public places will be banned in England from 1 >July next year, the government has announced. >The ban covers virtually all enclosed

public places including >offices, factories, pubs and bars, but not outdoors or in private >homes. >>It follows similar bans in the Irish Republic and Scotland - a ban in >Wales starts on 2 April. >>Ministers say it will protect everyone from passive smoking, but >opponents say the total ban is "draconian". >>From 1 July pubs and restaurants will have to display prominent "no >smoking" signs around their premises. >>Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt said the ban was a "huge step >forward" which would save thousands of people's lives. >>The cost of implementing the ban has been estimated at about £50m. >>Medical evidence >>Ms Hewitt said the ban would protect everyone from second-hand smoke, >while making it easier for smokers to quit. >>"The scientific and medical evidence is clear - second-hand smoke >kills,

causing a range of serious medical conditions including lung >cancer, heart disease, and sudden infant death syndrome," she said. >>"This legislation will help to prevent the unnecessary deaths caused >every year from second-hand smoke, and recognises that there is >absolutely no safe level of exposure." >> SMOKING BANS >Irish Republic: March 2004>Scotland: March 2006>Northern Ireland: April 2007>Wales: April 2007>England: July 2007 >>The government predicts about 600,000 people will give up smoking as >a result of the law change. >>The news was welcomed by health campaigners. Dame Helena Shovelton, >chief executive of the British Lung Foundation, said: "This is a >victory for all those of us who have campaigned so vigorously to >improve public health." >>She said it would reduce the death toll linked to smoking and that

>tens of thousands of people with lung disease would once again be >able to visit pubs and restaurants. >>Cancer Research UK chief, Prof Alex Markham, said 1 July would be >an "historic day". >>"Making workplaces and enclosed public places smoke free will bring >about some of the most significant health improvements the country >has seen in decades," he said. >> [it's] typical of a government that seems determined to interfere >in every aspect of our daily lives >>Simon Clark,>Forest lobby group>>>Send us your comments >>British Beer and Pub Association boss, Rob Hayward, welcomed the >announcement, saying it gave businesses "greater clarity" and would >allow them to prepare their customers for the changes. >>The Cabinet originally proposed prohibiting smoking only in pubs >serving food, in line with

Labour's election manifesto - but MPs >eventually backed a total ban in enclosed public spaces in a free >vote. >>Simon Clark, director of the smokers' lobby group Forest, said that >decision had been "draconian". >>"From July next year it will not only be illegal to smoke in every >pub, club and bar in the country, it will also be impossible to set >up a private club run by smokers for smokers," he said. >>"That's an amazing state of affairs but typical of a government that >seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives." >>The health secretary is also launching a Smokefree England campaign, >to advise England's 3.7m businesses to prepare for the ban. >>>> >>>>>To send an email to - >

Guest guest

Hi Louis

Are you sure you'e not confusing Asthma with something else? When I was a kid I had very mild asthma, and even with that it was impossible to sleep - it's just too painful.

BB

Peter

-

louis stott

Monday, December 04, 2006 7:08 PM

hi jo

in reply to your email i dont get it bad bad at toll i get it one bout ever 2 mths so thats not bad is it ? i would like to say again to you is i do not take pumps or tabs for this as im vegan all i do when i get it is SLEEP SLEEP SLEEP AND SLEEP it works for me . as for peters freind thats sad news .

louisjo <jo.heartwork wrote:

Hi Louis

I think if you can manage without any inhalers you do not have bad asthma. Maybe what you have is something different.

My husband gets asthma occasionally. Usually it is okay but a couple of years ago he ended up on steroids for a week. It was frightening to see him - I can only imagine what it felt like - but something like drowning I would imagine.

Jo

-

louis stott

hi jo

good point i know all this but i would like to say i dont take any pumps tablets for this ever i put up with it , now if i gave up what i could do atnytime i would prob jrink more

louis jo <jo.heartwork > wrote:

Jo

-

louis stott

i would jist like to point out that I HAVE BAD ASTHMA TOO but i smoke up to 30 a day if you dont like the smell go to a pub with out the smokers part , why should i give up for you lot ????Peter <metalscarab > wrote:

BB

Peeter

Guest guest

Hi Louis

I think there is one major flaw with the idea. Until recently, all pubs have been allowed to choose to be no smoking venues, but none have. So, how would your idea work? How would you choose which venues to make no smoking, and which to make smoking?

In terms of staff in pubs - of course most of the staff smoke. That's because most non-smokers can't stand working in a smokey atmosphere, so they are effectively barred from working in those places. Give it 10 years, and I can guarantee that there will be a more representative mix of smokers and non-smokers amongst bar staff.

BB

Peter

-

louis stott

Monday, December 04, 2006 7:15 PM

hi jo

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.............

yes i still think we should have 2 sorts of pubs most staff who i now who work in pubs yes PUBS smoke smoke smoke smoke i do not think my habit is pain at toll

Jo

-

louis stott

hi jo

Jo

-

louis stott

hi jo

Hi Jo,

Teresa

-

jo

Jo

-

louis stott

Guest guest

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no]Shhhhh <compassion2grace wrote: Gosh, is there any other way to live? I remember when you would walk through the grocery store and there would be people smoking. My dad, who died of complications of lung cancer and emphysema, was allowed to smoke in the hospital on his death bed. But no smoking in public places has been the law in California for so long now I can't imagine it being any other way. I admit to being a former

smoker, but even passing someone smoking on the street bothers me. I loved Las Vegas, but seriously the smoke will almost kill you. peace, sharonfraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) com> wrote: and all my english friends would come over and complain righteously about california's no -smoking laws....they are absolutely livid right now...>heartwerk <jo.heartwork >>Nov 30, 2006 11:33 PM> > England smoke ban to start 1 July>>Yay - whoooowhooooo - brilliant. No more sore throats and lungs >after

concerts!>>Jo> >The government says 600,000 people will quit as a result >Smoking in enclosed public places will be banned in England from 1 >July next year, the government has announced. >The ban covers virtually all enclosed public places including >offices, factories, pubs and bars, but not outdoors or in private >homes. >>It follows similar bans in the Irish Republic and Scotland - a ban in >Wales starts on 2 April. >>Ministers say it will protect everyone from passive smoking, but >opponents say the total ban is "draconian". >>From 1 July pubs and restaurants will have to display prominent "no >smoking" signs around their premises. >>Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt said the ban was a "huge step >forward" which would save thousands of people's lives. >>The cost of implementing the ban has been estimated at

about £50m. >>Medical evidence >>Ms Hewitt said the ban would protect everyone from second-hand smoke, >while making it easier for smokers to quit. >>"The scientific and medical evidence is clear - second-hand smoke >kills, causing a range of serious medical conditions including lung >cancer, heart disease, and sudden infant death syndrome," she said. >>"This legislation will help to prevent the unnecessary deaths caused >every year from second-hand smoke, and recognises that there is >absolutely no safe level of exposure." >> SMOKING BANS >Irish Republic: March 2004>Scotland: March 2006>Northern Ireland: April 2007>Wales: April 2007>England: July 2007 >>The government predicts about 600,000 people will give up smoking as >a result of the law change. >>The news was welcomed by health campaigners. Dame

Helena Shovelton, >chief executive of the British Lung Foundation, said: "This is a >victory for all those of us who have campaigned so vigorously to >improve public health." >>She said it would reduce the death toll linked to smoking and that >tens of thousands of people with lung disease would once again be >able to visit pubs and restaurants. >>Cancer Research UK chief, Prof Alex Markham, said 1 July would be >an "historic day". >>"Making workplaces and enclosed public places smoke free will bring >about some of the most significant health improvements the country >has seen in decades," he said. >> [it's] typical of a government that seems determined to interfere >in every aspect of our daily lives >>Simon Clark,>Forest lobby group>>>Send us your comments >>British Beer and Pub Association boss,

Rob Hayward, welcomed the >announcement, saying it gave businesses "greater clarity" and would >allow them to prepare their customers for the changes. >>The Cabinet originally proposed prohibiting smoking only in pubs >serving food, in line with Labour's election manifesto - but MPs >eventually backed a total ban in enclosed public spaces in a free >vote. >>Simon Clark, director of the smokers' lobby group Forest, said that >decision had been "draconian". >>"From July next year it will not only be illegal to smoke in every >pub, club and bar in the country, it will also be impossible to set >up a private club run by smokers for smokers," he said. >>"That's an amazing state of affairs but typical of a government that >seems determined to interfere in every aspect of our daily lives." >>The health secretary is also launching a Smokefree England

campaign, >to advise England's 3.7m businesses to prepare for the ban. >>>> >>>>>To send an email to - >

Guest guest

Hi Louis

Once again, I don't know anyone who has asthma that can actually sleep. I'm beginning to think that there are two kinds of asthma, and that maybeyours is secondary to something else. The asthma I am talking about puts the person in fear of their life because they cannot breathe.

Jo

-

louis stott

Monday, December 04, 2006 7:08 PM

hi jo

in reply to your email i dont get it bad bad at toll i get it one bout ever 2 mths so thats not bad is it ? i would like to say again to you is i do not take pumps or tabs for this as im vegan all i do when i get it is SLEEP SLEEP SLEEP AND SLEEP it works for me . as for peters freind thats sad news .

Hi Louis

Jo

-

louis stott

hi jo

louis jo <jo.heartwork > wrote:

Jo

-

louis stott

BB

Peeter

Guest guest

Hi Louis

Is it not possible for you to go into a pub and not smoke? Why do you go to the pub? I presume you go for either or both of two reasons - one - to have a drink - two - to meet socially with people. You do not have to smoke to do either of those things.

Jo

-

louis stott

Monday, December 04, 2006 7:15 PM

hi jo

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.............

yes i still think we should have 2 sorts of pubs most staff who i now who work in pubs yes PUBS smoke smoke smoke smoke i do not think my habit is pain at toll

Jo

-

louis stott

hi jo

Jo

-

louis stott

hi jo

Hi Jo,

Teresa

-

jo

Jo

-

louis stott