Guest guest

Re Welsh

Rate this topic

Guest guest

hi nikki,

http://www.red-dragon-wales.com/AboutWales/language.htm

http://www.menai.ac.uk/clicclic/

peter gave out these two sites, with information about the welsh,

language. the second one has little lessons in welsh.

It is written in a way that is totally unfamiliar to me,

I don't believe it is based in latin?, but celtic

however when spoken sounds a bit like scottish english?

has lots of w's and y's.

I must admit, I haven't heard anyone speak it before, not even in a movie.

I once sat on a park bench, in the Inwood section of manhattan where i

lived, I evesdropped on two little old ladies sitting next to me.

they where speaking a very strange language, which I had never heard

before and sounded rather melodic which sparked my curiosity, but

sometimes they would speak in english.

finaly, I couldn't take it anymore and asked them what languge

and they said GAELIC! then they said that they didn't think people in

ireland spoke it anymore.

don't know if they were kidding or waht.

So Peter, I assumed that you are bilingual? in Welsh and English?

, peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:

> The language of my ancestors/homeland. WELSH.

>

> Homemade my ass!

>

> The Valley Vegan.............

>

> Annoeth, llithrig ei dafod The foolish has a flippant tongue

>

>

> earthstrm <nikkimack@m...> wrote:

> Hey Moderator! Peter is passing spam in class!

>

> ;) just kidding

>

Guest guest

Thx Anouk!

I was actually just on

http://www.red4.co.uk/welsh/lessons/

Which is pretty nice.

Bore da (Good morning)

Shwd ych chi? (How are you?)

Rydw i'n siarad Cymraeg (I'm speaking Welsh)

Who is enjoying the unique pronounciation of Peter's language. It's

a beautifully sounding language to speak and I would love to hear it

in it's native accent other than what this site provides.

Nikki :)

, " Anouk Sickler " <zurumato@e...>

wrote:

> hi nikki,

>

> http://www.red-dragon-wales.com/AboutWales/language.htm

> http://www.menai.ac.uk/clicclic/

>

> peter gave out these two sites, with information about the welsh,

> language. the second one has little lessons in welsh.

> It is written in a way that is totally unfamiliar to me,

> I don't believe it is based in latin?, but celtic

> however when spoken sounds a bit like scottish english?

> has lots of w's and y's.

> I must admit, I haven't heard anyone speak it before, not even in

a movie.

>

> I once sat on a park bench, in the Inwood section of manhattan

where i

> lived, I evesdropped on two little old ladies sitting next to me.

>

> they where speaking a very strange language, which I had never

heard

> before and sounded rather melodic which sparked my curiosity, but

> sometimes they would speak in english.

> finaly, I couldn't take it anymore and asked them what languge

>

> and they said GAELIC! then they said that they didn't think

people in

> ireland spoke it anymore.

> don't know if they were kidding or waht.

>

> So Peter, I assumed that you are bilingual? in Welsh and English?

>

Guest guest

Nope not bi- anything, I know a little bit of welsh, but unfortunately not enough to hold a conversation.

A lot of people ( particularly those English ) take the mikey out of the Welsh language, because they cant pronounce it! there is nothing funnier than hearing them trying to pronounce words with double d or double l in them.

The welsh language is practically dead in my part of Wales, although there has been a load of new Welsh schools for infants and juniors opened in the last 10 years, something that wasnt around when I was that age. The language is more prevelant in central and north Wales.

Thanks for your interest.

The Valley Vegan.............

Yr hen a wyr, yr ieuanc a dybia The old knows, the young surmises Anouk Sickler <zurumato wrote:

hi nikki,http://www.red-dragon-wales.com/AboutWales/language.htmhttp://www.menai.ac.uk/clicclic/peter gave out these two sites, with information about the welsh,language. the second one has little lessons in welsh. It is written in a way that is totally unfamiliar to me,I don't believe it is based in latin?, but celtichowever when spoken sounds a bit like scottish english?has lots of w's and y's. I must admit, I haven't heard anyone speak it before, not even in a movie.I once sat on a park bench, in the Inwood section of manhattan where ilived, I evesdropped on two little old ladies sitting next to me.they where speaking a very strange language, which I had never heardbefore and sounded rather melodic which sparked my curiosity, butsometimes they would speak in english. finaly, I couldn't take it anymore and

asked them what langugeand they said GAELIC! then they said that they didn't think people inireland spoke it anymore. don't know if they were kidding or waht.So Peter, I assumed that you are bilingual? in Welsh and English? , peter hurd wrote:> The language of my ancestors/homeland. WELSH.> > Homemade my ass!> > The Valley Vegan.............> > Annoeth, llithrig ei dafod The foolish has a flippant tongue > > > earthstrm wrote:> Hey Moderator! Peter is passing spam in class!> > ;) just kidding>

Guest guest

When we first started visiting Wales we never heard anyone talk in Welsh and all the signs were in English. Over the years the signs have changed (why were place names English-ised in the first place?) and we hear more Welsh. This summer we did hear people practising, as though it was difficult for them to get on with as well. I think this was because their children had been taught it at school.

JO

-

peter hurd

Saturday, October 01, 2005 5:05 PM

Re: Re Welsh

Nope not bi- anything, I know a little bit of welsh, but unfortunately not enough to hold a conversation.

A lot of people ( particularly those English ) take the mikey out of the Welsh language, because they cant pronounce it! there is nothing funnier than hearing them trying to pronounce words with double d or double l in them.

The welsh language is practically dead in my part of Wales, although there has been a load of new Welsh schools for infants and juniors opened in the last 10 years, something that wasnt around when I was that age. The language is more prevelant in central and north Wales.

Yr hen a wyr, yr ieuanc a dybia The old knows, the young surmises Anouk Sickler <zurumato wrote:

hi nikki,http://www.red-dragon-wales.com/AboutWales/language.htmhttp://www.menai.ac.uk/clicclic/peter gave out these two sites, with information about the welsh,language. the second one has little lessons in welsh. It is written in a way that is totally unfamiliar to me,I don't believe it is based in latin?, but celtichowever when spoken sounds a bit like scottish english?has lots of w's and y's. I must admit, I haven't heard anyone speak it before, not even in a movie.I once sat on a park bench, in the Inwood section of manhattan where ilived, I evesdropped on two little old ladies sitting next to me.they where speaking a very strange language, which I had never heardbefore and sounded rather melodic which sparked my curiosity, butsometimes they would speak in english. finaly, I couldn't take it anymore and asked them what langugeand they said GAELIC! then they said that they didn't think people inireland spoke it anymore. don't know if they were kidding or waht.So Peter, I assumed that you are bilingual? in Welsh and English? , peter hurd wrote:> The language of my ancestors/homeland. WELSH.> > Homemade my ass!> > The Valley Vegan.............> > Annoeth, llithrig ei dafod The foolish has a flippant tongue > > > earthstrm wrote:> Hey Moderator! Peter is passing spam in class!> > ;) just kidding>

Guest guest

Yes, they do. My sister and mother went to live there for a year and talked about Gaelic being spoken.Anouk Sickler <zurumato wrote:

and they said GAELIC! then they said that they didn't think people inireland spoke it anymore. don't know if they were kidding or waht.So Peter, I assumed that you are bilingual? in Welsh and English? , peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:> The language of my ancestors/homeland. WELSH.> > Homemade my ass!> > The Valley Vegan.............> > Annoeth, llithrig ei dafod The foolish has a flippant tongue > > > earthstrm <nikkimack@m...> wrote:> Hey Moderator! Peter is passing spam in class!> > ;) just kidding>Jonnie

for Good Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

Guest guest

How is the dd and the l pronounced? Do they rhyme with any English words?peter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

hi nikki,http://www.red-dragon-wales.com/AboutWales/language.htmhttp://www.menai.ac.uk/clicclic/peter gave out these two sites, with information about the welsh,language. the second one has little lessons in welsh. It is written in a way that is totally unfamiliar to me,I don't believe it is based in latin?, but celtichowever when spoken sounds a bit like scottish english?has lots of w's and y's. I must admit, I haven't heard anyone speak it before, not even in a movie.I once sat on a park bench, in the Inwood section of manhattan where ilived, I evesdropped on two little old ladies sitting next to me.they where speaking a very strange language, which I had never heardbefore and sounded rather melodic which sparked my curiosity, butsometimes they would speak in english. finaly, I couldn't take it anymore and

asked them what langugeand they said GAELIC! then they said that they didn't think people inireland spoke it anymore. don't know if they were kidding or waht.So Peter, I assumed that you are bilingual? in Welsh and English? , peter hurd wrote:> The language of my ancestors/homeland. WELSH.> > Homemade my ass!> > The Valley Vegan.............> > Annoeth, llithrig ei dafod The foolish has a flippant tongue > > > earthstrm wrote:> Hey Moderator! Peter is passing spam in class!> > ;) just kidding>

Guest guest

As far as I know the 'dd' is like 'th' as in 'breathe' and the 'll' is a little like thle said with the tip of the tongue on the roof of the mouth while breathing out.

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Saturday, October 01, 2005 11:57 PM

How is the dd and the l pronounced? Do they rhyme with any English words?peter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

hi nikki,http://www.red-dragon-wales.com/AboutWales/language.htmhttp://www.menai.ac.uk/clicclic/peter gave out these two sites, with information about the welsh,language. the second one has little lessons in welsh. It is written in a way that is totally unfamiliar to me,I don't believe it is based in latin?, but celtichowever when spoken sounds a bit like scottish english?has lots of w's and y's. I must admit, I haven't heard anyone speak it before, not even in a movie.I once sat on a park bench, in the Inwood section of manhattan where ilived, I evesdropped on two little old ladies sitting next to me.they where speaking a very strange language, which I had never heardbefore and sounded rather melodic which sparked my curiosity, butsometimes they would speak in english. finaly, I couldn't take it anymore and asked them what langugeand they said GAELIC! then they said that they didn't think people inireland spoke it anymore. don't know if they were kidding or waht.So Peter, I assumed that you are bilingual? in Welsh and English? , peter hurd wrote:> The language of my ancestors/homeland. WELSH.> > Homemade my ass!> > The Valley Vegan.............> > Annoeth, llithrig ei dafod The foolish has a flippant tongue > > > earthstrm wrote:> Hey Moderator! Peter is passing spam in class!> > ;) just kidding>

Guest guest

The dd is pronounced the same as you would pronounce the "th" in "the", the ll is another matter, it is hard to describe, put your tongue on the roof of your mouth and blow? a lot of English try and end up pronouncing it as cl.

The Valley Vegan..............Jonnie Hellens <jonnie_hellens wrote:

Guest guest

Not bad Jo.I`d still like to hear your pronounciation.

The Valley Vegan...........jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

As far as I know the 'dd' is like 'th' as in 'breathe' and the 'll' is a little like thle said with the tip of the tongue on the roof of the mouth while breathing out.

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Guest guest

Well, when I tried it in Wales and asked if it was right I was told it was very good. You certainly don't need to sound as though you are spitting. It is actually quite a gentle sound. As for the rest of my attempts at anything Welsh - that might a different matter-)

Jo

-

peter hurd

Sunday, October 02, 2005 6:43 PM

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Guest guest

It goes to show how polite we Welsh are!

The Valley Vegan........jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

Well, when I tried it in Wales and asked if it was right I was told it was very good. You certainly don't need to sound as though you are spitting. It is actually quite a gentle sound. As for the rest of my attempts at anything Welsh - that might a different matter-)

Jo

-

peter hurd

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Guest guest

Yes a lot of place names were re-named by the English, and have now reverted over the last 50 ish years. For years all placenames and sign posts were in English only. With its own welsh TV channel ( s4c), and radio programmes, Welsh Assembly ( even though it seems to be run from Westminster ) and with more and more welsh speaking schools ( the children are not allowed to speak English while they are there), the language and identity of Wales is re-establishing itself slowly.

Also , thankfully the cottage burning contingient seems to have dissapeared.

The Valley Vegan..............jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

When we first started visiting Wales we never heard anyone talk in Welsh and all the signs were in English. Over the years the signs have changed (why were place names English-ised in the first place?) and we hear more Welsh. This summer we did hear people practising, as though it was difficult for them to get on with as well. I think this was because their children had been taught it at school.

JO

-

peter hurd

Saturday, October 01, 2005 5:05 PM

Guest guest

Are you trying to make me choke on my coffee?

Jo

-

peter hurd

Sunday, October 02, 2005 7:00 PM

It goes to show how polite we Welsh are!

The Valley Vegan........jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

Jo

-

peter hurd

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Guest guest

Hi Anouk

> peter gave out these two sites, with information about the welsh,

> language. the second one has little lessons in welsh.

> It is written in a way that is totally unfamiliar to me,

> I don't believe it is based in latin?, but celtic

> however when spoken sounds a bit like scottish english?

> has lots of w's and y's.

It's got virtually no connection to Latin. I believe that Welsh is one of

the Celtic languages (Celtic is technically a language group, much like

" Indo-European " ), and therefore has connections to Scots and Irish Gaelic,

as well as some of the ancient languages of Europe which only exist in the

modern world in their bastardised modern forms. Therefore you might find

some similar words in French.

> I must admit, I haven't heard anyone speak it before, not even in a movie.

There's a TV channel in the UK called S4C which is a Welsh language channel.

I doubt it's available much outside of the UK.

> finaly, I couldn't take it anymore and asked them what languge

> and they said GAELIC! then they said that they didn't think people in

> ireland spoke it anymore.

> don't know if they were kidding or waht.

Irish Gaelic is spoken by some people - it's been revived relatively

recently, much like Welsh, but is a little bit behind Welsh in usage. I'm

surprised people in America would be speaking it, as it was already in

decline in Ireland long before there was significant movement across the

Atlantic!

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Jo

> When we first started visiting Wales we never heard anyone talk in Welsh and all the signs were in English. Over the years the

> signs have changed (why were place names English-ised in the first place?) and we hear more Welsh.

And in a rather shocking development, last time I visited some friends in Winchester, there were some roadworks which had signs in English and Welsh!!!! (For those who don't know English geography, Winchester is around 100 miles from Wales, and slap bang in the middle of the south of England!

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Peter

> Yes a lot of place names were re-named by the English, and have now reverted over the last 50 ish years. For years all

> placenames and sign posts were in English only. With its own welsh TV channel ( s4c), and radio programmes, Welsh

> Assembly ( even though it seems to be run from Westminster ) and with more and more welsh speaking schools ( the

> children are not allowed to speak English while they are there), the language and identity of Wales is re-establishing itself

> slowly.

Most ironically, in the Welsh national dress... which was designed in the 1830s by Augusta Hall.... a Londonder (and, in a curious coincidence, the wife of the man who had "Big Ben" named after him!)

BB

Peter

Guest guest

HI Peter

That's really strange - spooky even !

Jo

-

Peter

Sunday, October 02, 2005 9:11 PM

Hi Jo

> When we first started visiting Wales we never heard anyone talk in Welsh and all the signs were in English. Over the years the

> signs have changed (why were place names English-ised in the first place?) and we hear more Welsh.

And in a rather shocking development, last time I visited some friends in Winchester, there were some roadworks which had signs in English and Welsh!!!! (For those who don't know English geography, Winchester is around 100 miles from Wales, and slap bang in the middle of the south of England!

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Peter,

yes, Gaelic is in revival,

there is a gaelic meetup group in nyc, they speak (or try to) Gaelic.

The neighborhood that i lived in, in nyc, was called Inwood, Irish and

Jewish in before the 1990's, but now, new people are moving in.

and there was alot of elderly Irish people, Gaelic Football, Irish

pubs, and

catholic shops.

I'm thinking that perhaps, it was passed on by grandmothers and

grandfathers.

I read in the newspapers, that there was a discovery, in the south

street seaport area, where they were tearing down an old building

and discovered some Gaelic graffitti.

Erin Go Brah or something like that, dated 1860's!

I do better with latin sort languages, I translate/interpret for a

living and my

tongue is often twisted as well as my brain!

, " Peter " <metalscarab@g...> wrote:

> Hi Anouk

>

> > It's got virtually no connection to Latin. I believe that Welsh is

one of

>

Guest guest

The dd is pronounced: as th in " this "

the l is pronounced: as in " learn "

Nikki :)

, Jonnie Hellens

<jonnie_hellens> wrote:

> How is the dd and the l pronounced? Do they rhyme with any English

words?

>

> peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:Nope not bi- anything, I know a

little bit of welsh, but unfortunately not enough to hold a

conversation.

> A lot of people ( particularly those English ) take the mikey out

of the Welsh language, because they cant pronounce it! there is

nothing funnier than hearing them trying to pronounce words with

double d or double l in them.

> The welsh language is practically dead in my part of Wales,

although there has been a load of new Welsh schools for infants and

juniors opened in the last 10 years, something that wasnt around

when I was that age. The language is more prevelant in central and

north Wales.

> Thanks for your interest.

>

> Yr hen a wyr, yr ieuanc a dybia The old knows, the young

surmises

Guest guest

Don`t you mean Welsh and English?

The Valley Vegan...........Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Jo

BB

PeterPeter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Guest guest

Yes its curious thing national dress. Whats Englands national dress Addidas or Nike?

The Valley Vegan..........Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Peter

> Yes a lot of place names were re-named by the English, and have now reverted over the last 50 ish years. For years all

> placenames and sign posts were in English only. With its own welsh TV channel ( s4c), and radio programmes, Welsh

> Assembly ( even though it seems to be run from Westminster ) and with more and more welsh speaking schools ( the

> children are not allowed to speak English while they are there), the language and identity of Wales is re-establishing itself

> slowly.

Most ironically, in the Welsh national dress... which was designed in the 1830s by Augusta Hall.... a Londonder (and, in a curious coincidence, the wife of the man who had "Big Ben" named after him!)

BB

PeterPeter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Guest guest

God moves in mysterious ways ( apparently ) - if he /she/it exists that is?

HI Peter

That's really strange - spooky even !

Jo

-

Peter

Sunday, October 02, 2005 9:11 PM

Hi Jo

BB

PeterPeter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail

Guest guest

I can't think of any instances in the english language of your ll sound. I would have never thought that dd sounds like our th. I guess I couldn't even begin to correctly sound out the Welsh language without a lot more info, huh?peter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

The dd is pronounced the same as you would pronounce the "th" in "the", the ll is another matter, it is hard to describe, put your tongue on the roof of your mouth and blow? a lot of English try and end up pronouncing it as cl.

The Valley Vegan..............Jonnie Hellens <jonnie_hellens wrote:

Guest guest

Hi Peter

You wouldn't want to be different from everyone else, would you :-)

...............see we Welsh can laugh at ourselves!

>