IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Container Gardening

Rate this topic

Guest guest

O.K., potatoes are soooooo easy. You get a large garbage can. Drill holes in the bottom. Put a few inches of gravel/sand in the bottom and then about 6-8" of potting soil. Plant your potato. Yup, just one. When it grows to about 6-8", put in more potting soil until only the very top leaves are showing. Wait until it grows 6-8" and repeat the process until you get to the top of your garbage can. After the plant flowers and dies back, dump the garbage can over and you'll have enough potatoes for a few months!

What happens is the potatoes grow out from the center stem and you end up with several layers of potatoes all around that center stem. Kewl way to get a ton of potatoes in a very small space. Some folks get upwards to over 50 pounds of potatoes!

Now as to trees. Lemon trees do quite nicely in pots. If you are going to try other fruit trees, go for natural dwarfs and espalier them onto a trellis. Or go with semi-dwarfs and do an arbor with them. You can train them up and over and then walk under them to pick the fruit.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Wednesday, July 27, 2005 12:19 PM

Container Gardening

I'm trying container gardening. My patio is only about 6 ft by 6 ft. The problem I'm running into is the fact that it's so warm and sunny here and containers heat up so much. Right now I've got herbs, strawberries and peppers. The other problem I'm running into is that I've got containers everywhere and it's getting crowed. I saw someplace where they made a larger wooden rectangle container, but I don't know much about building such a thing. When it cools down, I'm gonna try though. I would really like to have some vine things going up my 6 ft concrete walls and I wonder how berries would do. My mom used to have some mini fruit trees growing outside her mobile home but she didn't have much luck with them producing and I haven't seen any in years around here. I would love to have mini peach and lemon trees. I would also like to grow potatoes and carrots. I wonder how those would do in containers? I also am trying to figure out how I can add a second level. In otherwords, all those pots that are on the ground now, attach some sort of shelf to the concret block wall where they can sit up higher and allow large containers on the ground. Am I a dreamer?

JonnieLynda <lurine wrote:

What about community gardens? Square foot gardening? Container gardening?I know of at least one family in the L.A. area that grows enough food for afamily of 4 in their backyard!For example, as folks look at the square footage of their "yard" and say,"nope, not enough room," did y'all know you can hang buckets and punch ahole in the bottom. Plant your plants in the hole and things like cucumbersand tomatoes will grow quite nicely has a hanging plant!Just a thought. I think folks need to explore thinking outside the boxmore.Lynda- "heartwerk" <heartworkTuesday, July 26, 2005 11:43 PM Re: Exercise: Your Life Without Oil.> Maybe it is easier in the States to buy a large area of land. In> Britain, we are such a little island with quite a large population> and most people are lucky to have a postage stamp garden. This> probably accounts for the different perceptions of what is possible.>> Jo>> , "Lynda" <lurine@s...> wrote:> > Well, that cuts both ways. I also worked to keep them healthy> (radiology),> > to get them back to work (Nursing Services Coordinator at a rehab> hosp) and> > helped them when they didn't have the money to do things for> themselves> > (grant planning, volunteering as a paralegal). However, I made it> a point> > to pay attention and look beyond the next pay check. I took what my> > grandparents taught me and added to it.> >> > Almost every homesteader I've ever known or met or heard about has< BR>> worked> > and while working planned beyond that next pay check. They have> all planned> > so they wouldn't need a pay check and learned what they needed to> know OR> > made it a point to get to know folks who knew how to do stuff they> didn't so> > if the time comes they could barter.> >> > Unfortunately, most folks have forgotten the Boy Scout motto and> have bought> > into the whole nanny state thing.> >> > We're in for an interesting ride.> >> > Lynda> > - > > "heartwerk" <heartwork@c...>> > > > Tuesday, July 26, 2005 11:12 AM> > Re: Exercise: Your Life Without Oil.> >> >> > > Another thought on the 'fair' part - of course, it could be that & g t; these> > > people who haven't become self-sufficient have been working hard> > > making the cars, spares, freezers, air conditioners, tools,> household> > > items, computers, telephones, televisions, stereos, cds,> toiletries,> > > books, cameras, pens, paper, toilets, baths, etc. etc. etc. that> you> > > have been using, and as they have worked for your benefit> > > ................................................................> > >> > > Jo> > >> > >> > > , "Lynda" <lurine@s...> wrote:> > > > Generally speaking the folks who are homesteaders are in> communities> > > that> > > > are pretty self-sufficient to begin with. They are also pretty> well> > > armed> > > > and know how to u se those guns.> > > >> > > > The premise of the series wouldn't work unless those who worked> for> > > their> > > > survival weren't survivalists to begin with.> > > >> > > > Besides, what is "fair" about those who do nothing getting that> > > which others> > > > have worked for? If folks want to survive then folks should> have> > > gotten off> > > > their duffs and worked for it instead of organizing to take what> > > they wanted> > > > without working.> > > >> > > > Hardly what I'd call "fair."> > > >> > > > Lynda> > > > - > > > > "heartwerk" <heartwork@c...>> > > >> > > >> > > > > I remember seeing a s eries here called 'Survivors' where the> remnants> > > > > of the people managed to build up a new community with food> etc. and> > > > > after a while the ones who hadn't managed wanted to 'share'> the food> > > > > and got quite aggressive. Then the people who had organised> > > > > themselves into an 'army' came and took over - to distribute> the food> > > > > fairly!> > > > >> > > > > Jo> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > To send an email to -> > > >

Guest guest

You can also buy multi grafted trees

one single tree can have oranges , lemons, limes..

or peaches, apricots, nectarines..

great way to have plenty of fruit with only one or 2 trees

Craig

Now as to trees. Lemon trees do quite nicely in pots. If you are going to try other fruit trees, go for natural dwarfs and espalier them onto a trellis. Or go with semi-dwarfs and do an arbor with them. You can train them up and over and then walk under them to pick the fruit.

Lynda

Guest guest

Thanks for that info Lynda - I'll try the potatoes.

Do you know if apple trees always need to be grown in pairs?

Jo

, " Lynda " <lurine@s...> wrote:

> O.K., potatoes are soooooo easy. You get a large garbage can.

Drill holes in the bottom. Put a few inches of gravel/sand in the

bottom and then about 6-8 " of potting soil. Plant your potato. Yup,

just one. When it grows to about 6-8 " , put in more potting soil

until only the very top leaves are showing. Wait until it grows 6-8 "

and repeat the process until you get to the top of your garbage can.

After the plant flowers and dies back, dump the garbage can over and

you'll have enough potatoes for a few months!

>

> What happens is the potatoes grow out from the center stem and you

end up with several layers of potatoes all around that center stem.

Kewl way to get a ton of potatoes in a very small space. Some folks

get upwards to over 50 pounds of potatoes!

>

> Now as to trees. Lemon trees do quite nicely in pots. If you are

going to try other fruit trees, go for natural dwarfs and espalier

them onto a trellis. Or go with semi-dwarfs and do an arbor with

them. You can train them up and over and then walk under them to

pick the fruit.

>

> Lynda

> -

> Jonnie Hellens

>

> Wednesday, July 27, 2005 12:19 PM

> Container Gardening

>

>

> I'm trying container gardening. My patio is only about 6 ft by 6

ft. The problem I'm running into is the fact that it's so warm and

sunny here and containers heat up so much. Right now I've got herbs,

strawberries and peppers. The other problem I'm running into is that

I've got containers everywhere and it's getting crowed. I saw

someplace where they made a larger wooden rectangle container, but I

don't know much about building such a thing. When it cools down, I'm

gonna try though. I would really like to have some vine things going

up my 6 ft concrete walls and I wonder how berries would do. My mom

used to have some mini fruit trees growing outside her mobile home

but she didn't have much luck with them producing and I haven't seen

any in years around here. I would love to have mini peach and lemon

trees. I would also like to grow potatoes and carrots. I wonder how

those would do in containers? I also am trying to figure out how I

can add a second level. In otherwords, all those pots that are on

the ground now, attach some sort of shelf to the concret block wall

where they can sit up higher and allow large containers on the

ground. Am I a dreamer?

>

> Jonnie

>

> Lynda <lurine@s...> wrote:

> What about community gardens? Square foot gardening?

Container gardening?

> I know of at least one family in the L.A. area that grows

enough food for a

> family of 4 in their backyard!

>

> For example, as folks look at the square footage of

their " yard " and say,

> " nope, not enough room, " did y'all know you can hang buckets

and punch a

> hole in the bottom. Plant your plants in the hole and things

like cucumbers

> and tomatoes will grow quite nicely has a hanging plant!

>

> Just a thought. I think folks need to explore thinking outside

the box

> more.

>

> Lynda

> -

> " heartwerk " <heartwork@c...>

>

> Tuesday, July 26, 2005 11:43 PM

> Re: Exercise: Your Life Without Oil.

>

>

> > Maybe it is easier in the States to buy a large area of

land. In

> > Britain, we are such a little island with quite a large

population

> > and most people are lucky to have a postage stamp garden.

This

> > probably accounts for the different perceptions of what is

possible.

> >

> > Jo

> >

> > , " Lynda " <lurine@s...>

wrote:

> > > Well, that cuts both ways. I also worked to keep them

healthy

> > (radiology),

> > > to get them back to work (Nursing Services Coordinator at a

rehab

> > hosp) and

> > > helped them when they didn't have the money to do things for

> > themselves

> > > (grant planning, volunteering as a paralegal). However, I

made it

> > a point

> > > to pay attention and look beyond the next pay check. I

took what my

> > > grandparents taught me and added to it.

> > >

> > > Almost every homesteader I've ever known or met or heard

about has< BR>> worked

> > > and while working planned beyond that next pay check. They

have

> > all planned

> > > so they wouldn't need a pay check and learned what they

needed to

> > know OR

> > > made it a point to get to know folks who knew how to do

stuff they

> > didn't so

> > > if the time comes they could barter.

> > >

> > > Unfortunately, most folks have forgotten the Boy Scout

motto and

> > have bought

> > > into the whole nanny state thing.

> > >

> > > We're in for an interesting ride.

> > >

> > > Lynda

> > > -

> > > " heartwerk " <heartwork@c...>

> > >

> > > Tuesday, July 26, 2005 11:12 AM

> > > Re: Exercise: Your Life Without Oil.

> > >

> > >

> > > > Another thought on the 'fair' part - of course, it could

be that

> & g t; these

> > > > people who haven't become self-sufficient have been

working hard

> > > > making the cars, spares, freezers, air conditioners,

tools,

> > household

> > > > items, computers, telephones, televisions, stereos, cds,

> > toiletries,

> > > > books, cameras, pens, paper, toilets, baths, etc. etc.

etc. that

> > you

> > > > have been using, and as they have worked for your benefit

> > >

> ................................................................

> > > >

> > > > Jo

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > , " Lynda " <lurine@s...>

wrote:

> > > > > Generally speaking the folks who are homesteaders are in

> > communities

> > > > that

> > > > > are pretty self-sufficient to begin with. They are

also pretty

> > well

> > > > armed

> > > > > and know how to u se those guns.

> > > > >

> > > > > The premise of the series wouldn't work unless those

who worked

> > for

> > > > their

> > > > > survival weren't survivalists to begin with.

> > > > >

> > > > > Besides, what is " fair " about those who do nothing

getting that

> > > > which others

> > > > > have worked for? If folks want to survive then folks

should

> > have

> > > > gotten off

> > > > > their duffs and worked for it instead of organizing to

take what

> > > > they wanted

> > > > > without working.

> > > > >

> > > > > Hardly what I'd call " fair. "

> > > > >

> > > > > Lynda

> > > > > -

> > > > > " heartwerk " <heartwork@c...>

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > > I remember seeing a s eries here called 'Survivors'

where the

> > remnants

> > > > > > of the people managed to build up a new community

with food

> > etc. and

> > > > > > after a while the ones who hadn't managed wanted

to 'share'

> > the food

> > > > > > and got quite aggressive. Then the people who had

organised

> > > > > > themselves into an 'army' came and took over - to

distribute

> > the food

> > > > > > fairly!

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Jo

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > To send an email to -

> >

> > > >

Guest guest

What a wonderful idea for the potatoes! How long does the whole process take? Since we have such mild winters here, we can get some gardening in after it cools down a bit. I'm guessing sweet potatoes would be the same way?

When I was young, I threw some potatoes in my compost heap and next thing I knew I had a wonderful potato garden. Nothing like newly harvested food, Yummy!

O.K., potatoes are soooooo easy. You get a large garbage can. Drill holes in the bottom. Put a few inches of gravel/sand in the bottom and then about 6-8" of potting soil. Plant your potato. Yup, just one. When it grows to about 6-8", put in more potting soil until only the very top leaves are showing. Wait until it grows 6-8" and repeat the process until you get to the top of your garbage can. After the plant flowers and dies back, dump the garbage can over and you'll have enough potatoes for a few months!

What happens is the potatoes grow out from the center stem and you end up with several layers of potatoes all around that center stem. Kewl way to get a ton of potatoes in a very small space. Some folks get upwards to over 50 pounds of potatoes!

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Container Gardening

I'm trying container gardening. My patio is only about 6 ft by 6 ft. The problem I'm running into is the fact that it's so warm and sunny here and containers heat up so much. Right now I've got herbs, strawberries and peppers. The other problem I'm running into is that I've got containers everywhere and it's getting crowed. I saw someplace where they made a larger wooden rectangle container, but I don't know much about building such a thing. When it cools down, I'm gonna try though. I would really like to have some vine things going up my 6 ft concrete walls and I wonder how berries would do. My mom used to have some mini fruit trees growing outside her mobile home but she didn't have much luck with them producing and I haven't seen any in years around here. I would love to have mini peach and lemon trees. I would also like to grow potatoes and carrots. I wonder how those would do in containers? I also

am trying to figure out how I can add a second level. In otherwords, all those pots that are on the ground now, attach some sort of shelf to the concret block wall where they can sit up higher and allow large containers on the ground. Am I a dreamer?

What about community gardens? Square foot gardening? Container gardening?I know of at least one family in the L.A. area that grows enough food for afamily of 4 in their backyard!For example, as folks look at the square footage of their "yard" and say,"nope, not enough room," did y'all know you can hang buckets and punch ahole in the bottom. Plant your plants in the hole and things like cucumbersand tomatoes will grow quite nicely has a hanging plant!Just a thought. I think folks need to explore thinking outside the boxmore.Lynda- "heartwerk" <heartworkTuesday, July 26, 2005 11:43 PM Re: Exercise: Your Life Without Oil.> Maybe it is easier in the States to buy a

large area of land. In> Britain, we are such a little island with quite a large population> and most people are lucky to have a postage stamp garden. This> probably accounts for the different perceptions of what is possible.>> Jo>> , "Lynda" <lurine@s...> wrote:> > Well, that cuts both ways. I also worked to keep them healthy> (radiology),> > to get them back to work (Nursing Services Coordinator at a rehab> hosp) and> > helped them when they didn't have the money to do things for> themselves> > (grant planning, volunteering as a paralegal). However, I made it> a point> > to pay attention and look beyond the next pay check. I took what my> > grandparents taught me and added to it.> >> > Almost every homesteader I've ever known or met or heard about has<

BR>> worked> > and while working planned beyond that next pay check. They have> all planned> > so they wouldn't need a pay check and learned what they needed to> know OR> > made it a point to get to know folks who knew how to do stuff they> didn't so> > if the time comes they could barter.> >> > Unfortunately, most folks have forgotten the Boy Scout motto and> have bought> > into the whole nanny state thing.> >> > We're in for an interesting ride.> >> > Lynda> > - > > "heartwerk" <heartwork@c...>> > > > Tuesday, July 26, 2005 11:12 AM> > Re: Exercise: Your Life Without Oil.> >> >> > > Another thought on the 'fair' part - of course, it could be

that & g t; these> > > people who haven't become self-sufficient have been working hard> > > making the cars, spares, freezers, air conditioners, tools,> household> > > items, computers, telephones, televisions, stereos, cds,> toiletries,> > > books, cameras, pens, paper, toilets, baths, etc. etc. etc. that> you> > > have been using, and as they have worked for your benefit> > > ................................................................> > >> > > Jo> > >> > >> > > , "Lynda" <lurine@s...> wrote:> > > > Generally speaking the folks who are homesteaders are in> communities> > > that> > > > are pretty self-sufficient to begin with. They are also pretty> well> > > armed> > > > and

know how to u se those guns.> > > >> > > > The premise of the series wouldn't work unless those who worked> for> > > their> > > > survival weren't survivalists to begin with.> > > >> > > > Besides, what is "fair" about those who do nothing getting that> > > which others> > > > have worked for? If folks want to survive then folks should> have> > > gotten off> > > > their duffs and worked for it instead of organizing to take what> > > they wanted> > > > without working.> > > >> > > > Hardly what I'd call "fair."> > > >> > > > Lynda> > > > - > > > > "heartwerk" <heartwork@c...>> > > >> > > >> > > > > I

remember seeing a s eries here called 'Survivors' where the> remnants> > > > > of the people managed to build up a new community with food> etc. and> > > > > after a while the ones who hadn't managed wanted to 'share'> the food> > > > > and got quite aggressive. Then the people who had organised> > > > > themselves into an 'army' came and took over - to distribute> the food> > > > > fairly!> > > > >> > > > > Jo> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > To send an email to -> > > >

Guest guest

Where can I find these things and can I grow them on a 6ft x 6ft concrete patio?

JonnieCraig Dearth <cd39 wrote:

You can also buy multi grafted trees

one single tree can have oranges , lemons, limes..

or peaches, apricots, nectarines..

great way to have plenty of fruit with only one or 2 trees

Craig

Lynda

Mail - Find what you need with new enhanced search. Learn more.

Guest guest

Only some of them. There are a few that are self-pollinating. However,

others need a different variety to pollinate. A Golden Delicious is a

pollinator for lots of varieties and self-pollinating. The Cox

Self-pollinating is one, Jonathan is another and then there is the Coronet

that is two apples in one and is self-pollinating.

If there are apples in the neighborhood or crab apples, generally you don't

have to worry about having a pollinator. Of course, there are always the

exceptions.

Lynda

-

" heartwerk " <heartwork

Wednesday, July 27, 2005 11:37 PM

Re: Container Gardening

> Thanks for that info Lynda - I'll try the potatoes.

>

> Do you know if apple trees always need to be grown in pairs?

>

> Jo

Guest guest

The time would depend on the climate, heat, etc. AND, you can do it with any potatoes.

Another thing for folks on limited incomes and doing container gardening. Did ya know you can start new tomato plants from the suckers? Just buy one plant each year and then you get a dozen from the suckers.

Don't tell your local nursery guy I told you <g> He doesn't want folks to know that secret!

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Thursday, July 28, 2005 9:41 AM

What a wonderful idea for the potatoes! How long does the whole process take? Since we have such mild winters here, we can get some gardening in after it cools down a bit. I'm guessing sweet potatoes would be the same way?

When I was young, I threw some potatoes in my compost heap and next thing I knew I had a wonderful potato garden. Nothing like newly harvested food, Yummy!

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Container Gardening

I'm trying container gardening. My patio is only about 6 ft by 6 ft. The problem I'm running into is the fact that it's so warm and sunny here and containers heat up so much. Right now I've got herbs, strawberries and peppers. The other problem I'm running into is that I've got containers everywhere and it's getting crowed. I saw someplace where they made a larger wooden rectangle container, but I don't know much about building such a thing. When it cools down, I'm gonna try though. I would really like to have some vine things going up my 6 ft concrete walls and I wonder how berries would do. My mom used to have some mini fruit trees growing outside her mobile home but she didn't have much luck with them producing and I haven't seen any in years around here. I would love to have mini peach and lemon trees. I would also like to grow potatoes and carrots. I wonder how those would do in containers? I also am trying to figure out how I can add a second level. In otherwords, all those pots that are on the ground now, attach some sort of shelf to the concret block wall where they can sit up higher and allow large containers on the ground. Am I a dreamer?

What about community gardens? Square foot gardening? Container gardening?I know of at least one family in the L.A. area that grows enough food for afamily of 4 in their backyard!For example, as folks look at the square footage of their "yard" and say,"nope, not enough room," did y'all know you can hang buckets and punch ahole in the bottom. Plant your plants in the hole and things like cucumbersand tomatoes will grow quite nicely has a hanging plant!Just a thought. I think folks need to explore thinking outside the boxmore.Lynda- "heartwerk" <heartworkTuesday, July 26, 2005 11:43 PM Re: Exercise: Your Life Without Oil.> Maybe it is easier in the States to buy a large area of land. In> Britain, we are such a little island with quite a large population> and most people are lucky to have a postage stamp garden. This> probably accounts for the different perceptions of what is possible.>> Jo>> , "Lynda" <lurine@s...> wrote:> > Well, that cuts both ways. I also worked to keep them healthy> (radiology),> > to get them back to work (Nursing Services Coordinator at a rehab> hosp) and> > helped them when they didn't have the money to do things for> themselves> > (grant planning, volunteering as a paralegal). However, I made it> a point> > to pay attention and look beyond the next pay check. I took what my> > grandparents taught me and added to it.> >> > Almost every homesteader I've ever known or met or heard about has & lt; BR>> worked> > and while working planned beyond that next pay check. They have> all planned> > so they wouldn't need a pay check and learned what they needed to> know OR> > made it a point to get to know folks who knew how to do stuff they> didn't so> > if the time comes they could barter.> >> > Unfortunately, most folks have forgotten the Boy Scout motto and> have bought> > into the whole nanny state thing.> >> > We're in for an interesting ride.> >> > Lynda> > - > > "heartwerk" <heartwork@c...>> > > > Tuesday, July 26, 2005 11:12 AM> > Re: Exercise: Your Life Without Oil.> >> >> > > Another thought on the 'fair' part - of course, it could be that & g t; these> > > people who haven't become self-sufficient have been working hard> > > making the cars, spares, freezers, air conditioners, tools,> household> > > items, computers, telephones, televisions, stereos, cds,> toiletries,> > > books, cameras, pens, paper, toilets, baths, etc. etc. etc. that> you> > > have been using, and as they have worked for your benefit> > > ................................................................> > >> > > Jo> > >> > >> > > , "Lynda" <lurine@s...> wrote:> > > > Generally speaking the folks who are homesteaders are in> communities> > > that> > > > are pretty self-sufficient to begin with. They are also pretty> well> > > armed> > > > and know how to u se those guns.> > > >> > > > The premise of the series wouldn't work unless those who worked> for> > > their> > > > survival weren't survivalists to begin with.> > > >> > > > Besides, what is "fair" about those who do nothing getting that> > > which others> > > > have worked for? If folks want to survive then folks should> have> > > gotten off> > > > their duffs and worked for it instead of organizing to take what> > > they wanted> > > > without working.> > > >> > > > Hardly what I'd call "fair."> > > >> > > > Lynda> > > > - > > > > "heartwerk" <heartwork@c...>> > > >> > > >> > > > > ; I remember seeing a s eries here called 'Survivors' where the> remnants> > > > > of the people managed to build up a new community with food> etc. and> > > > > after a while the ones who hadn't managed wanted to 'share'> the food> > > > > and got quite aggressive. Then the people who had organised> > > > > themselves into an 'army' came and took over - to distribute> the food> > > > > fairly!> > > > >> > > > > Jo> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > To send an email to -> > > >

Guest guest

Our neighbour has a cooking apple tree - so that should be okay.

Jo

, " Lynda " <lurine@s...> wrote:

> Only some of them. There are a few that are self-pollinating.

However,

> others need a different variety to pollinate. A Golden Delicious

is a

> pollinator for lots of varieties and self-pollinating. The Cox

> Self-pollinating is one, Jonathan is another and then there is the

Coronet

> that is two apples in one and is self-pollinating.

>

> If there are apples in the neighborhood or crab apples, generally

you don't

> have to worry about having a pollinator. Of course, there are

always the

> exceptions.

>

> Lynda

> -

> " heartwerk " <heartwork@c...>

>

> Wednesday, July 27, 2005 11:37 PM

> Re: Container Gardening

>

>

> > Thanks for that info Lynda - I'll try the potatoes.

> >

> > Do you know if apple trees always need to be grown in pairs?

> >

> > Jo

Guest guest

Apples need a good cold season, don't they? I don't think they would work out well here in the desert, which I why I'm sure there's none around here. Too bad, I would love to grow my own.

Only some of them. There are a few that are self-pollinating. However,others need a different variety to pollinate. A Golden Delicious is apollinator for lots of varieties and self-pollinating. The CoxSelf-pollinating is one, Jonathan is another and then there is the Coronetthat is two apples in one and is self-pollinating.If there are apples in the neighborhood or crab apples, generally you don'thave to worry about having a pollinator. Of course, there are always theexceptions.Lynda- "heartwerk" <heartworkWednesday, July 27, 2005 11:37 PM Re: Container Gardening> Thanks for that info Lynda - I'll try the potatoes.>> Do you know if apple trees

always need to be grown in pairs?>> Jo

Guest guest

What's a tomato sucker?

The time would depend on the climate, heat, etc. AND, you can do it with any potatoes.

Another thing for folks on limited incomes and doing container gardening. Did ya know you can start new tomato plants from the suckers? Just buy one plant each year and then you get a dozen from the suckers.

Don't tell your local nursery guy I told you <g> He doesn't want folks to know that secret!

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Container Gardening

I'm trying container gardening. My patio is only about 6 ft by 6 ft. The problem I'm running into is the fact that it's so warm and sunny here and containers heat up so much. Right now I've got herbs, strawberries and peppers. The other problem I'm running into is that I've got containers everywhere and it's getting crowed. I saw someplace where they made a larger wooden rectangle container, but I don't know much about building such a thing. When it cools down, I'm gonna try though. I would really like to have some vine things going up my 6 ft concrete walls and I wonder how berries would do. My mom used to have some mini fruit trees growing outside her mobile home but she didn't have much luck with them producing and I haven't seen any in years around here. I would love to have mini peach and lemon trees. I would also like to grow potatoes and carrots. I wonder how those would do in containers? I also

am trying to figure out how I can add a second level. In otherwords, all those pots that are on the ground now, attach some sort of shelf to the concret block wall where they can sit up higher and allow large containers on the ground. Am I a dreamer?

What about community gardens? Square foot gardening? Container gardening?I know of at least one family in the L.A. area that grows enough food for afamily of 4 in their backyard!For example, as folks look at the square footage of their "yard" and say,"nope, not enough room," did y'all know you can hang buckets and punch ahole in the bottom. Plant your plants in the hole and things like cucumbersand tomatoes will grow quite nicely has a hanging plant!Just a thought. I think folks need to explore thinking outside the boxmore.Lynda- "heartwerk" <heartworkTuesday, July 26, 2005 11:43 PM Re: Exercise: Your Life Without Oil.> Maybe it is easier in the States to buy a

large area of land. In> Britain, we are such a little island with quite a large population> and most people are lucky to have a postage stamp garden. This> probably accounts for the different perceptions of what is possible.>> Jo>> , "Lynda" <lurine@s...> wrote:> > Well, that cuts both ways. I also worked to keep them healthy> (radiology),> > to get them back to work (Nursing Services Coordinator at a rehab> hosp) and> > helped them when they didn't have the money to do things for> themselves> > (grant planning, volunteering as a paralegal). However, I made it> a point> > to pay attention and look beyond the next pay check. I took what my> > grandparents taught me and added to it.> >> > Almost every homesteader I've ever known or met or heard about has & lt;

BR>> worked> > and while working planned beyond that next pay check. They have> all planned> > so they wouldn't need a pay check and learned what they needed to> know OR> > made it a point to get to know folks who knew how to do stuff they> didn't so> > if the time comes they could barter.> >> > Unfortunately, most folks have forgotten the Boy Scout motto and> have bought> > into the whole nanny state thing.> >> > We're in for an interesting ride.> >> > Lynda> > - > > "heartwerk" <heartwork@c...>> > > > Tuesday, July 26, 2005 11:12 AM> > Re: Exercise: Your Life Without Oil.> >> >> > > Another thought on the 'fair' part - of course, it could be

that & g t; these> > > people who haven't become self-sufficient have been working hard> > > making the cars, spares, freezers, air conditioners, tools,> household> > > items, computers, telephones, televisions, stereos, cds,> toiletries,> > > books, cameras, pens, paper, toilets, baths, etc. etc. etc. that> you> > > have been using, and as they have worked for your benefit> > > ................................................................> > >> > > Jo> > >> > >> > > , "Lynda" <lurine@s...> wrote:> > > > Generally speaking the folks who are homesteaders are in> communities> > > that> > > > are pretty self-sufficient to begin with. They are also pretty> well> > > armed> > > > and

know how to u se those guns.> > > >> > > > The premise of the series wouldn't work unless those who worked> for> > > their> > > > survival weren't survivalists to begin with.> > > >> > > > Besides, what is "fair" about those who do nothing getting that> > > which others> > > > have worked for? If folks want to survive then folks should> have> > > gotten off> > > > their duffs and worked for it instead of organizing to take what> > > they wanted> > > > without working.> > > >> > > > Hardly what I'd call "fair."> > > >> > > > Lynda> > > > - > > > > "heartwerk" <heartwork@c...>> > > >> > > >> > > > > ; I

remember seeing a s eries here called 'Survivors' where the> remnants> > > > > of the people managed to build up a new community with food> etc. and> > > > > after a while the ones who hadn't managed wanted to 'share'> the food> > > > > and got quite aggressive. Then the people who had organised> > > > > themselves into an 'army' came and took over - to distribute> the food> > > > > fairly!> > > > >> > > > > Jo> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > To send an email to -> > > >

Guest guest

Hello, I am new and was very interested in this chain of conversation. I live in Illinois and was wondering if it was too late to do any container gardening this year? Also, I have a five foot wide stip of land on the side of my house between my place and the neighbors that is contained by a 6 ft. privacy fence. The house is a tri-level. would any of that land be ok for planting on or is to way to shady?

Thanks,

DragonspirithealerLynda <lurine wrote:

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Container Gardening

large area of land. In> Britain, we are such a little island with quite a large population> and most people are lucky to have a postage stamp garden. This> probably accounts for the different perceptions of what is possible.>> Jo>> , "Lynda" <lurine@s...> wrote:> > Well, that cuts both ways. I also worked to keep them healthy> (radiology),> > to get them back to work (Nursing Services Coordinator at a rehab> hosp) and> > helped them when they didn't have the money to do things for> themselves> > (grant planning, volunteering as a paralegal). However, I made it> a point> > to pay attention and look beyond the next pay check. I took what my> > grandparents taught me and added to it.> >> > Almost every homesteader I've ever known or met or heard about has & lt;

know how to u se those guns.> > > >> > > > The premise of the series wouldn't work unless those who worked> for> > > their> > > > survival weren't survivalists to begin with.> > > >> > > > Besides, what is "fair" about those who do nothing getting that> > > which others> > > > have worked for? If folks want to survive then folks should> have> > > gotten off> > > > their duffs and worked for it instead of organizing to take what> > > they wanted> > > > without working.> > > >> > > > Hardly what I'd call "fair."> > > >> > > > Lynda> > > > - > > > > "heartwerk" <heartwork@c...>> > > >> > > >> > > > > ; I

Guest guest

Side shoots, or suckers, form in the crotches, or axils, between the leaves and the main stem.

Don't use a knife to cut them. Use pruners that you sterilize first. Tomatoes are real susptible to disease and that is the easiest way to spread it.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Friday, July 29, 2005 10:40 AM

What's a tomato sucker?

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Container Gardening

What about community gardens? Square foot gardening? Container gardening?I know of at least one family in the L.A. area that grows enough food for afamily of 4 in their backyard!For example, as folks look at the square footage of their "yard" and say,"nope, not enough room," did y'all know you can hang buckets and punch ahole in the bottom. Plant your plants in the hole and things like cucumbersand tomatoes will grow quite nicely has a hanging plant!Just a thought. I think folks need to explore thinking outside the boxmore.Lynda- "heartwerk" <heartworkTuesday, July 26, 2005 11:43 PM Re: Exercise: Your Life Without Oil.> Maybe it is easier in the States to buy a large area of land. In> Britain, we are such a little island with quite a large population> and most people are lucky to have a postage stamp garden. This> probably accounts for the different perceptions of what is possible.>> Jo>> , "Lynda" <lurine@s...> wrote:> > Well, that cuts both ways. I also worked to keep them healthy> (radiology),> > to get them back to work (Nursing Services Coordinator at a rehab> hosp) and> > helped them when they didn't have the money to do things for> themselves> > (grant planning, volunteering as a paralegal). However, I made it> a point> > to pay attention and look beyond the next pay check. I took what my> > grandparents taught me and added to it.> >> > Almost every homesteader I've ever known or met or heard about has & amp; lt; BR>> worked> > and while working planned beyond that next pay check. They have> all planned> > so they wouldn't need a pay check and learned what they needed to> know OR> > made it a point to get to know folks who knew how to do stuff they> didn't so> > if the time comes they could barter.> >> > Unfortunately, most folks have forgotten the Boy Scout motto and> have bought> > into the whole nanny state thing.> >> > We're in for an interesting ride.> >> > Lynda> > - > > "heartwerk" <heartwork@c...>> > > > Tuesday, July 26, 2005 11:12 AM> > Re: Exercise: Your Life Without Oil.> >> >> > > Another thought on the 'fair' part - of course, it could be that & g t; these> > > people who haven't become self-sufficient have been working hard> > > making the cars, spares, freezers, air conditioners, tools,> household> > > items, computers, telephones, televisions, stereos, cds,> toiletries,> > > books, cameras, pens, paper, toilets, baths, etc. etc. etc. that> you> > > have been using, and as they have worked for your benefit> > > ................................................................> > >> > > Jo> > >> > >> > > , "Lynda" <lurine@s...> wrote:> > > > Generally speaking the folks who are homesteaders are in> communities> > > that> > > > are pretty self-sufficient to begin with. They are also pretty> well> > > armed> > > > and know how to u se those guns.> > > >> > > > The premise of the series wouldn't work unless those who worked> for> > > their> > > > survival weren't survivalists to begin with.> > > >> > > > Besides, what is "fair" about those who do nothing getting that> > > which others> > > > have worked for? If folks want to survive then folks should> have> > > gotten off> > > > their duffs and worked for it instead of organizing to take what> > > they wanted> > > > without working.> > > >> > > > Hardly what I'd call "fair."> > > >> > > > Lynda> > > > - > > > > "heartwerk" <heartwork@c...>> > > >> > > >> > > > > ; ; I remember seeing a s eries here called 'Survivors' where the> remnants> > > > > of the people managed to build up a new community with food> etc. and> > > > > after a while the ones who hadn't managed wanted to 'share'> the food> > > > > and got quite aggressive. Then the people who had organised> > > > > themselves into an 'army' came and took over - to distribute> the food> > > > > fairly!> > > > >> > > > > Jo> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > To send an email to -> > > >

Guest guest

Desert Sweet Organics is outside Tucson. They grow apples.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Friday, July 29, 2005 10:35 AM

Re: Re: Container Gardening

Apples need a good cold season, don't they? I don't think they would work out well here in the desert, which I why I'm sure there's none around here. Too bad, I would love to grow my own.

Only some of them. There are a few that are self-pollinating. However,others need a different variety to pollinate. A Golden Delicious is apollinator for lots of varieties and self-pollinating. The CoxSelf-pollinating is one, Jonathan is another and then there is the Coronetthat is two apples in one and is self-pollinating.If there are apples in the neighborhood or crab apples, generally you don'thave to worry about having a pollinator. Of course, there are always theexceptions.Lynda- "heartwerk" <heartworkWednesday, July 27, 2005 11:37 PM Re: Container Gardening> Thanks for that info Lynda - I'll try the potatoes.>> Do you know if apple tre es always need to be grown in pairs?>> Jo

Guest guest

Hi Dragonspirithealer,

I think it depends on what you are wanting to plant and where in IL

you are. I'm near the south side of Chicago and about the only thing I

can pop in now is lettuce, spinach, carrots, green onions and hoping

my peas & green beans get a second crop.

The strip also depends on just how much sun it gets daily, but with

the tri-level it does sound like it wouldn't be a lot.

Right now we have cooled off a bit, but the 90-100 degree temps were

not helping my garden at all. The lettuce and spinach may not work for

my fall harvest if they start bolting early. The carrots and green

onions are doing fine.

Are you near me? If so, I'd be happy to share some veggies with you.

The maters have just started popping (at least the cherry) and the

rest should follow suit soon.

Not sure if I helped, but glad to meet a neighbor!

Nikki

(who has changed her i.d.)

, DragonSpiritHealer

<dragonspirithealer> wrote:

> Hello, I am new and was very interested in this chain of

conversation. I live in Illinois and was wondering if it was too late

to do any container gardening this year? Also, I have a five foot

wide stip of land on the side of my house between my place and the

neighbors that is contained by a 6 ft. privacy fence. The house is a

tri-level. would any of that land be ok for planting on or is to way

to shady?

>

> Thanks,

> Dragonspirithealer

>

Guest guest

there are varieties that grow just fine without a winter cold

Craig

Container Gardening

Jonnie

Guest guest

Lettuce, brocolli, peas and other cool weather crops should do o.k. You won't be able to grow tomatoes or anything that needs heat.

As to whether or not it is too late for your area, it depends on your zone and the days to maturity data on the seed packets.

Lynda

-

DragonSpiritHealer

Friday, July 29, 2005 11:38 AM

Hello, I am new and was very interested in this chain of conversation. I live in Illinois and was wondering if it was too late to do any container gardening this year? Also, I have a five foot wide stip of land on the side of my house between my place and the neighbors that is contained by a 6 ft. privacy fence. The house is a tri-level. would any of that land be ok for planting on or is to way to shady?

Thanks,

DragonspirithealerLynda <lurine wrote:

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Container Gardening

What about community gardens? Square foot gardening? Container gardening?I know of at least one family in the L.A. area that grows enough food for afamily of 4 in their backyard!For example, as folks look at the square footage of their "yard" and say,"nope, not enough room," did y'all know you can hang buckets and punch ahole in the bottom. Plant your plants in the hole and things like cucumbersand tomatoes will grow quite nicely has a hanging plant!Just a thought. I think folks need to explore thinking outside the boxmore.Lynda- "heartwerk" <heartworkTuesday, July 26, 2005 11:43 PM Re: Exercise: Your Life Without Oil.> Maybe it is easier in the States to buy a large area of land. In> Britain, we are such a little island with quite a large population> and most people are lucky to have a postage stamp garden. This> probably accounts for the different perceptions of what is possible.>> Jo>> , "Lynda" <lurine@s...> wrote:> > Well, that cuts both ways. I also worked to keep them healthy> (radiology),> > to get them back to work (Nursing Services Coordinator at a rehab> hosp) and> > helped them when they didn't have the money to do things for> themselves> > (grant planning, volunteering as a paralegal). However, I made it> a point> > to pay attention and look beyond the next pay check. I took what my> > grandparents taught me and added to it.> >> > Almost every homesteader I've ever known or met or heard about has & amp; lt; BR>> worked> > and while working planned beyond that next pay check. They have> all planned> > so they wouldn't need a pay check and learned what they needed to> know OR> > made it a point to get to know folks who knew how to do stuff they> didn't so> > if the time comes they could barter.> >> > Unfortunately, most folks have forgotten the Boy Scout motto and> have bought> > into the whole nanny state thing.> >> > We're in for an interesting ride.> >> > Lynda> > - > > "heartwerk" <heartwork@c...>> > > > Tuesday, July 26, 2005 11:12 AM> > Re: Exercise: Your Life Without Oil.> >> >> > > Another thought on the 'fair' part - of course, it could be that & g t; these> > > people who haven't become self-sufficient have been working hard> > > making the cars, spares, freezers, air conditioners, tools,> household> > > items, computers, telephones, televisions, stereos, cds,> toiletries,> > > books, cameras, pens, paper, toilets, baths, etc. etc. etc. that> you> > > have been using, and as they have worked for your benefit> > > ................................................................> > >> > > Jo> > >> > >> > > , "Lynda" <lurine@s...> wrote:> > > > Generally speaking the folks who are homesteaders are in> communities> > > that> > > > are pretty self-sufficient to begin with. They are also pretty> well> > > armed> > > > and know how to u se those guns.> > > >> > > > The premise of the series wouldn't work unless those who worked> for> > > their> > > > survival weren't survivalists to begin with.> > > >> > > > Besides, what is "fair" about those who do nothing getting that> > > which others> > > > have worked for? If folks want to survive then folks should> have> > > gotten off> > > > their duffs and worked for it instead of organizing to take what> > > they wanted> > > > without working.> > > >> > > > Hardly what I'd call "fair."> > > >> > > > Lynda> > > > - > > > > "heartwerk" <heartwork@c...>> > > >> > > >> > > > > ; ; I remember seeing a s eries here called 'Survivors' where the> remnants> > > > > of the people managed to build up a new community with food> etc. and> > > > > after a while the ones who hadn't managed wanted to 'share'> the food> > > > > and got quite aggressive. Then the people who had organised> > > > > themselves into an 'army' came and took over - to distribute> the food> > > > > fairly!> > > > >> > > > > Jo> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > To send an email to -> > > >

Guest guest

Lynda, does the potato growing plan also work for onions?

Side shoots, or suckers, form in the crotches, or axils, between the leaves and the main stem.

Don't use a knife to cut them. Use pruners that you sterilize first. Tomatoes are real susptible to disease and that is the easiest way to spread it.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

What's a tomato sucker?

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Container Gardening

large area of land. In> Britain, we are such a little island with quite a large population> and most people are lucky to have a postage stamp garden. This> probably accounts for the different perceptions of what is possible.>> Jo>> , "Lynda" <lurine@s...> wrote:> > Well, that cuts both ways. I also worked to keep them healthy> (radiology),> > to get them back to work (Nursing Services Coordinator at a rehab> hosp) and> > helped them when they didn't have the money to do things for> themselves> > (grant planning, volunteering as a paralegal). However, I made it> a point> > to pay attention and look beyond the next pay check. I took what my> > grandparents taught me and added to it.> >> > Almost every homesteader I've ever known or met or heard about has &

amp; lt; BR>> worked> > and while working planned beyond that next pay check. They have> all planned> > so they wouldn't need a pay check and learned what they needed to> know OR> > made it a point to get to know folks who knew how to do stuff they> didn't so> > if the time comes they could barter.> >> > Unfortunately, most folks have forgotten the Boy Scout motto and> have bought> > into the whole nanny state thing.> >> > We're in for an interesting ride.> >> > Lynda> > - > > "heartwerk" <heartwork@c...>> > > > Tuesday, July 26, 2005 11:12 AM> > Re: Exercise: Your Life Without Oil.> >> >> > > Another thought on the 'fair' part - of course, it could

be that & g t; these> > > people who haven't become self-sufficient have been working hard> > > making the cars, spares, freezers, air conditioners, tools,> household> > > items, computers, telephones, televisions, stereos, cds,> toiletries,> > > books, cameras, pens, paper, toilets, baths, etc. etc. etc. that> you> > > have been using, and as they have worked for your benefit> > > ................................................................> > >> > > Jo> > >> > >> > > , "Lynda" <lurine@s...> wrote:> > > > Generally speaking the folks who are homesteaders are in> communities> > > that> > > > are pretty self-sufficient to begin with. They are also pretty> well> > > armed> > > > and

know how to u se those guns.> > > >> > > > The premise of the series wouldn't work unless those who worked> for> > > their> > > > survival weren't survivalists to begin with.> > > >> > > > Besides, what is "fair" about those who do nothing getting that> > > which others> > > > have worked for? If folks want to survive then folks should> have> > > gotten off> > > > their duffs and worked for it instead of organizing to take what> > > they wanted> > > > without working.> > > >> > > > Hardly what I'd call "fair."> > > >> > > > Lynda> > > > - > > > > "heartwerk" <heartwork@c...>> > > >> > > >> > > > > ; ; I

Guest guest

I wonder what kinds would would here?

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Only some of them. There are a few that are self-pollinating. However,others need a different variety to pollinate. A Golden Delicious is apollinator for lots of varieties and self-pollinating. The CoxSelf-pollinating is one, Jonathan is another and then there is the Coronetthat is two apples in one and is self-pollinating.If there are apples in the neighborhood or crab apples, generally you don'thave to worry about having a pollinator. Of course, there are always theexceptions.Lynda- "heartwerk" <heartworkWednesday, July 27, 2005 11:37 PM Re: Container Gardening> Thanks for that info Lynda - I'll try the potatoes.>> Do you know if apple tre es

Guest guest

Nope, potatoes kind of grow out from a center stem. Onions only grow individuals.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Sunday, July 31, 2005 2:25 PM

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

What's a tomato sucker?

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Container Gardening

What about community gardens? Square foot gardening? Container gardening?I know of at least one family in the L.A. area that grows enough food for afamily of 4 in their backyard!For example, as folks look at the square footage of their "yard" and say,"nope, not enough room," did y'all know you can hang buckets and punch ahole in the bottom. Plant your plants in the hole and things like cucumbersand tomatoes will grow quite nicely has a hanging plant!Just a thought. I think folks need to explore thinking outside the boxmore.Lynda- "heartwerk" <heartworkTuesday, July 26, 2005 11:43 PM Re: Exercise: Your Life Without Oil.> Maybe it is easier in the States to buy a large area of land. In> Britain, we are such a little island with quite a large population> and most people are lucky to have a postage stamp garden. This> probably accounts for the different perceptions of what is possible.>> Jo>> , "Lynda" <lurine@s...> wrote:> > Well, that cuts both ways. I also worked to keep them healthy> (radiology),> > to get them back to work (Nursing Services Coordinator at a rehab> hosp) and> > helped them when they didn't have the money to do things for> themselves> > (grant planning, volunteering as a paralegal). However, I made it> a point> > to pay attention and look beyond the next pay check. I took what my> > grandparents taught me and added to it.> >> > Almost every homesteader I've ever known or met or heard about has & amp; amp; lt; BR>> worked> > and while working planned beyond that next pay check. They have> all planned> > so they wouldn't need a pay check and learned what they needed to> know OR> > made it a point to get to know folks who knew how to do stuff they> didn't so> > if the time comes they could barter.> >> > Unfortunately, most folks have forgotten the Boy Scout motto and> have bought> > into the whole nanny state thing.> >> > We're in for an interesting ride.> >> > Lynda> > - > > "heartwerk" <heartwork@c...>> > > > Tuesday, July 26, 2005 11:12 AM> > Re: Exercise: Your Life Without Oil.> >> >> > > Another thought on the 'fair' part - of course, it could be that & g t; these> > > people who haven't become self-sufficient have been working hard> > > making the cars, spares, freezers, air conditioners, tools,> household> > > items, computers, telephones, televisions, stereos, cds,> toiletries,> > > books, cameras, pens, paper, toilets, baths, etc. etc. etc. that> you> > > have been using, and as they have worked for your benefit> > > ................................................................> > >> > > Jo> > >> > >> > > , "Lynda" <lurine@s...> wrote:> > > > Generally speaking the folks who are homesteaders are in> communities> > > that> > > > are pretty self-sufficient to begin with. They are also pretty> well> > > armed> > > & gt; and know how to u se those guns.> > > >> > > > The premise of the series wouldn't work unless those who worked> for> > > their> > > > survival weren't survivalists to begin with.> > > >> > > > Besides, what is "fair" about those who do nothing getting that> > > which others> > > > have worked for? If folks want to survive then folks should> have> > > gotten off> > > > their duffs and worked for it instead of organizing to take what> > > they wanted> > > > without working.> > > >> > > > Hardly what I'd call "fair."> > > >> > > > Lynda> > > > - > > > > "heartwerk" <heartwork@c...>> > > >> > > >> > > > > ; ; ; I remember seeing a s eries here called 'Survivors' where the> remnants> > > > > of the people managed to build up a new community with food> etc. and> > > > > after a while the ones who hadn't managed wanted to 'share'> the food> > > > > and got quite aggressive. Then the people who had organised> > > > > themselves into an 'army' came and took over - to distribute> the food> > > > > fairly!> > > > >> > > > > Jo> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > To send an email to -> > > >

Guest guest

Dang!Lynda <lurine wrote:

Nope, potatoes kind of grow out from a center stem. Onions only grow individuals.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

What's a tomato sucker?

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Container Gardening

large area of land. In> Britain, we are such a little island with quite a large population> and most people are lucky to have a postage stamp garden. This> probably accounts for the different perceptions of what is possible.>> Jo>> , "Lynda" <lurine@s...> wrote:> > Well, that cuts both ways. I also worked to keep them healthy> (radiology),> > to get them back to work (Nursing Services Coordinator at a rehab> hosp) and> > helped them when they didn't have the money to do things for> themselves> > (grant planning, volunteering as a paralegal). However, I made it> a point> > to pay attention and look beyond the next pay check. I took what my> > grandparents taught me and added to it.> >> > Almost every homesteader I've ever known or met or heard about has &

amp; amp; lt; BR>> worked> > and while working planned beyond that next pay check. They have> all planned> > so they wouldn't need a pay check and learned what they needed to> know OR> > made it a point to get to know folks who knew how to do stuff they> didn't so> > if the time comes they could barter.> >> > Unfortunately, most folks have forgotten the Boy Scout motto and> have bought> > into the whole nanny state thing.> >> > We're in for an interesting ride.> >> > Lynda> > - > > "heartwerk" <heartwork@c...>> > > > Tuesday, July 26, 2005 11:12 AM> > Re: Exercise: Your Life Without Oil.> >> >> > > Another thought on the 'fair' part - of course, it

could be that & g t; these> > > people who haven't become self-sufficient have been working hard> > > making the cars, spares, freezers, air conditioners, tools,> household> > > items, computers, telephones, televisions, stereos, cds,> toiletries,> > > books, cameras, pens, paper, toilets, baths, etc. etc. etc. that> you> > > have been using, and as they have worked for your benefit> > > ................................................................> > >> > > Jo> > >> > >> > > , "Lynda" <lurine@s...> wrote:> > > > Generally speaking the folks who are homesteaders are in> communities> > > that> > > > are pretty self-sufficient to begin with. They are also pretty> well> > > armed> > >

& gt; and know how to u se those guns.> > > >> > > > The premise of the series wouldn't work unless those who worked> for> > > their> > > > survival weren't survivalists to begin with.> > > >> > > > Besides, what is "fair" about those who do nothing getting that> > > which others> > > > have worked for? If folks want to survive then folks should> have> > > gotten off> > > > their duffs and worked for it instead of organizing to take what> > > they wanted> > > > without working.> > > >> > > > Hardly what I'd call "fair."> > > >> > > > Lynda> > > > - > > > > "heartwerk" <heartwork@c...>> > > >> > > >> > >

> > ; ; ; I remember seeing a s eries here called 'Survivors' where the> remnants> > > > > of the people managed to build up a new community with food> etc. and> > > > > after a while the ones who hadn't managed wanted to 'share'> the food> > > > > and got quite aggressive. Then the people who had organised> > > > > themselves into an 'army' came and took over - to distribute> the food> > > > > fairly!> > > > >> > > > > Jo> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > To send an email to -> > > >

Guest guest

Well, you could grow the onions in the same can as the potatoes. Plant the potato in the middle and plant a few onions around the outside. Or some carrots or scallions or radishes.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Sunday, July 31, 2005 7:27 PM

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

What's a tomato sucker?

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Container Gardening

What about community gardens? Square foot gardening? Container gardening?I know of at least one family in the L.A. area that grows enough food for afamily of 4 in their backyard!For example, as folks look at the square footage of their "yard" and say,"nope, not enough room," did y'all know you can hang buckets and punch ahole in the bottom. Plant your plants in the hole and things like cucumbersand tomatoes will grow quite nicely has a hanging plant!Just a thought. I think folks need to explore thinking outside the boxmore.Lynda- "heartwerk" <heartworkTuesday, July 26, 2005 11:43 PM Re: Exercise: Your Life Without Oil.> Maybe it is easier in the States to buy a large area of land. In> Britain, we are such a little island with quite a large population> and most people are lucky to have a postage stamp garden. This> probably accounts for the different perceptions of what is possible.>> Jo>> , "Lynda" <lurine@s...> wrote:> > Well, that cuts both ways. I also worked to keep them healthy> (radiology),> > to get them back to work (Nursing Services Coordinator at a rehab> hosp) and> > helped them when they didn't have the money to do things for> themselves> > (grant planning, volunteering as a paralegal). However, I made it> a point> > to pay attention and look beyond the next pay check. I took what my> > grandparents taught me and added to it.> >> > Almost every homesteader I've ever known or met or heard about has & amp; amp; amp; lt; BR>> worked> > and while working planned beyond that next pay check. They have> all planned> > so they wouldn't need a pay check and learned what they needed to> know OR> > made it a point to get to know folks who knew how to do stuff they> didn't so> > if the time comes they could barter.> >> > Unfortunately, most folks have forgotten the Boy Scout motto and> have bought> > into the whole nanny state thing.> >> > We're in for an interesting ride.> >> > Lynda> > - > > "heartwerk" <heartwork@c...>> > > > Tuesday, July 26, 2005 11:12 AM> > Re: Exercise: Your Life Without Oil.> >> >> > > Another thought on the 'fair' part - of cours e, it could be that & g t; these> > > people who haven't become self-sufficient have been working hard> > > making the cars, spares, freezers, air conditioners, tools,> household> > > items, computers, telephones, televisions, stereos, cds,> toiletries,> > > books, cameras, pens, paper, toilets, baths, etc. etc. etc. that> you> > > have been using, and as they have worked for your benefit> > > ................................................................> > >> > > Jo> > >> > >> > > , "Lynda" <lurine@s...> wrote:> > > > Generally speaking the folks who are homesteaders are in> communities> > > that> > > > are pretty self-sufficient to begin with. They are also pretty> well> > > armed> > > & gt; and know how to u se those guns.> > > >> > > > The premise of the series wouldn't work unless those who worked> for> > > their> > > > survival weren't survivalists to begin with.> > > >> > > > Besides, what is "fair" about those who do nothing getting that> > > which others> > > > have worked for? If folks want to survive then folks should> have> > > gotten off> > > > their duffs and worked for it instead of organizing to take what> > > they wanted> > > > without working.> > > >> > > > Hardly what I'd call "fair."> > > >> > > > Lynda> > > > - > > > > "heartwerk" <heartwork@c...>> > > >> > > >> > > > > ; ; ; I remember seeing a s eries here called 'Survivors' where the> remnants> > > > > of the people managed to build up a new community with food> etc. and> > > > > after a while the ones who hadn't managed wanted to 'share'> the food> > > > > and got quite aggressive. Then the people who had organised> > > > > themselves into an 'army' came and took over - to distribute> the food> > > > > fairly!> > > > >> > > > > Jo> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > To send an email to -> > > >

Guest guest

Here's a link of folks growing them in AZ. http://users.safeaccess.com/olsen/azapple.html

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Sunday, July 31, 2005 3:02 PM

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Only some of them. There are a few that are self-pollinating. However,others need a different variety to pollinate. A Golden Delicious is apollinator for lots of varieties and self-pollinating. The CoxSelf-pollinating is one, Jonathan is another and then there is the Coronetthat is two apples in one and is self-pollinating.If there are apples in the neighborhood or crab apples, generally you don'thave to worry about having a pollinator. Of course, there are always theexceptions.Lynda- "heartwerk" <heartworkWednesday, July 27, 2005 11:37 PM Re: Container Gardening> Thanks for that info Lynda - I'll try the potatoes.>> Do you know if apple tre es always need to be grown in pairs?>> Jo

Guest guest

Would I need to grow from seed or just plant an onion? Lynda <lurine wrote:

Well, you could grow the onions in the same can as the potatoes. Plant the potato in the middle and plant a few onions around the outside. Or some carrots or scallions or radishes.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

What's a tomato sucker?

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Container Gardening

amp; amp; amp; lt; BR>> worked> > and while working planned beyond that next pay check. They have> all planned> > so they wouldn't need a pay check and learned what they needed to> know OR> > made it a point to get to know folks who knew how to do stuff they> didn't so> > if the time comes they could barter.> >> > Unfortunately, most folks have forgotten the Boy Scout motto and> have bought> > into the whole nanny state thing.> >> > We're in for an interesting ride.> >> > Lynda> > - > > "heartwerk" <heartwork@c...>> > > > Tuesday, July 26, 2005 11:12 AM> > Re: Exercise: Your Life Without Oil.> >> >> > > Another thought on the 'fair' part - of cours e,

it could be that & g t; these> > > people who haven't become self-sufficient have been working hard> > > making the cars, spares, freezers, air conditioners, tools,> household> > > items, computers, telephones, televisions, stereos, cds,> toiletries,> > > books, cameras, pens, paper, toilets, baths, etc. etc. etc. that> you> > > have been using, and as they have worked for your benefit> > > ................................................................> > >> > > Jo> > >> > >> > > , "Lynda" <lurine@s...> wrote:> > > > Generally speaking the folks who are homesteaders are in> communities> > > that> > > > are pretty self-sufficient to begin with. They are also pretty> well> > > armed> > >

& gt; and know how to u se those guns.> > > >> > > > The premise of the series wouldn't work unless those who worked> for> > > their> > > > survival weren't survivalists to begin with.> > > >> > > > Besides, what is "fair" about those who do nothing getting that> > > which others> > > > have worked for? If folks want to survive then folks should> have> > > gotten off> > > > their duffs and worked for it instead of organizing to take what> > > they wanted> > > > without working.> > > >> > > > Hardly what I'd call "fair."> > > >> > > > Lynda> > > > - > > > > "heartwerk" <heartwork@c...>> > > >> > > >> > >

> > ; ; ; I remember seeing a s eries here called 'Survivors' where the> remnants> > > > > of the people managed to build up a new community with food> etc. and> > > > > after a while the ones who hadn't managed wanted to 'share'> the food> > > > > and got quite aggressive. Then the people who had organised> > > > > themselves into an 'army' came and took over - to distribute> the food> > > > > fairly!> > > > >> > > > > Jo> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > To send an email to -> > > >

Guest guest

Ah, those areas are all a cooler climate that here in Phoenix. Lynda <lurine wrote:

Here's a link of folks growing them in AZ. http://users.safeaccess.com/olsen/azapple.html

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Sunday, July 31, 2005 3:02 PM

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Only some of them. There are a few that are self-pollinating. However,others need a different variety to pollinate. A Golden Delicious is apollinator for lots of varieties and self-pollinating. The CoxSelf-pollinating is one, Jonathan is another and then there is the Coronetthat is two apples in one and is self-pollinating.If there are apples in the neighborhood or crab apples, generally you don'thave to worry about having a pollinator. Of course, there are always theexceptions.Lynda- "heartwerk" <heartworkWednesday, July 27, 2005 11:37 PM Re: Container Gardening> Thanks for that info Lynda - I'll try the potatoes.>> Do you know if apple tre es

Jonnie

Start your day with - make it your home page

Guest guest

Seeds take awhile. You can buy starts at most garden or feed stores.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Monday, August 01, 2005 9:00 AM

Would I need to grow from seed or just plant an onion? Lynda <lurine wrote:

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

What's a tomato sucker?

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Container Gardening

What about community gardens? Square foot gardening? Container gardening?I know of at least one family in the L.A. area that grows enough food for afamily of 4 in their backyard!For example, as folks look at the square footage of their "yard" and say,"nope, not enough room," did y'all know you can hang buckets and punch ahole in the bottom. Plant your plants in the hole and things like cucumbersand tomatoes will grow quite nicely has a hanging plant!Just a thought. I think folks need to explore thinking outside the boxmore.Lynda- "heartwerk" <heartworkTuesday, July 26, 2005 11:43 PM Re: Exercise: Your Life Without Oil.> Maybe it is easier in the States to buy a large area of land. In> Britain, we are such a little island with quite a large population> and most people are lucky to have a postage stamp garden. This> probably accounts for the different perceptions of what is possible.>> Jo>> , "Lynda" <lurine@s...> wrote:> > Well, that cuts both ways. I also worked to keep them healthy> (radiology),> > to get them back to work (Nursing Services Coordinator at a rehab> hosp) and> > helped them when they didn't have the money to do things for> themselves> > (grant planning, volunteering as a paralegal). However, I made it> a point> > to pay attention and look beyond the next pay check. I took what my> > grandparents taught me and added to it.> >> > Almost every homesteader I've ever known or met or heard about has & amp; amp; amp; amp; lt; BR>> worked> > and while working planned beyond that next pay check. They have> all planned> > so they wouldn't need a pay check and learned what they needed to> know OR> > made it a point to get to know folks who knew how to do stuff they> didn't so> > if the time comes they could barter.> >> > Unfortunately, most folks have forgotten the Boy Scout motto and> have bought> > into the whole nanny state thing.> >> > We're in for an interesting ride.> >> > Lynda> > - > > "heartwerk" <heartwork@c...>> > > > Tuesday, July 26, 2005 11:12 AM> > Re: Exercise: Your Life Without Oil.> >> >> > > Another thought on the 'fair' part - of cours e, it could be that & g t; these> > > people who haven't become self-sufficient have been working hard> > > making the cars, spares, freezers, air conditioners, tools,> household> > > items, computers, telephones, televisions, stereos, cds,> toiletries,> > > books, cameras, pens, paper, toilets, baths, etc. etc. etc. that> you> > > have been using, and as they have worked for your benefit> > > ................................................................> > >> > > Jo> > >> > >> > > , "Lynda" <lurine@s...> wrote:> > > > Generally speaking the folks who are homesteaders are in> communities> > > that> > > > are pretty self-sufficient to begin with. They are also pretty> well> > > armed> & g t; > & gt; and know how to u se those guns.> > > >> > > > The premise of the series wouldn't work unless those who worked> for> > > their> > > > survival weren't survivalists to begin with.> > > >> > > > Besides, what is "fair" about those who do nothing getting that> > > which others> > > > have worked for? If folks want to survive then folks should> have> > > gotten off> > > > their duffs and worked for it instead of organizing to take what> > > they wanted> > > > without working.> > > >> > > > Hardly what I'd call "fair."> > > >> > > > Lynda> > > > - > > > > "heartwerk" <heartwork@c...>> > > >> > > >> > > > > ; ; ; I remember seeing a s eries here called 'Survivors' where the> remnants> > > > > of the people managed to build up a new community with food> etc. and> > > > > after a while the ones who hadn't managed wanted to 'share'> the food> > > > > and got quite aggressive. Then the people who had organised> > > > > themselves into an 'army' came and took over - to distribute> the food> > > > > fairly!> > > > >> > > > > Jo> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > To send an email to -> > > >