IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Container Gardening

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hold that thought <g> I sent an e-mail to a friend in Phoenix to find out if he knows of any varieties specific to your area.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Monday, August 01, 2005 9:03 AM

Re: Re: Container Gardening

Ah, those areas are all a cooler climate that here in Phoenix. Lynda <lurine wrote:

Here's a link of folks growing them in AZ. http://users.safeaccess.com/olsen/azapple.html

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Sunday, July 31, 2005 3:02 PM

I wonder what kinds would would here?

JonnieLynda <lurine wrote:

Desert Sweet Organics is outside Tucson. They grow apples.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Friday, July 29, 2005 10:35 AM

Apples need a good cold season, don't they? I don't think they would work out well here in the desert, which I why I'm sure there's none around here. Too bad, I would love to grow my own.

JonnieLynda <lurine wrote:

Only some of them. There are a few that are self-pollinating. However,others need a different variety to pollinate. A Golden Delicious is apollinator for lots of varieties and self-pollinating. The CoxSelf-pollinating is one, Jonathan is another and then there is the Coronetthat is two apples in one and is self-pollinating.If there are apples in the neighborhood or crab apples, generally you don'thave to worry about having a pollinator. Of course, there are always theexceptions.Lynda- "heartwerk" <heartworkWednesday, July 27, 2005 11:37 PM Re: Container Gardening> Thanks for that info Lynda - I'll try the potatoes.>> Do you know if apple tre es always need to be grown in pairs?>> Jo

Jonnie

Start your day with - make it your home page

Guest guest

Gee, sure wish I could take some off ur hands.

Speaking of which, I dug up the potato to see why nothing was happening, and it didn't seem to have the will of life and was quietly rotting away. I'll give er another go. Maybe I should start it inside with toothpicks and a jar of water? Meanwhile, the sweet potatoes are begging for a trellis.

I went out to my patio garden this am, only to find the dang whiteflies are back, ate a good portion of my strawberry plants and have started on my sweet potatoes and spearmint. Ugh, anyone have any organic recommendations?fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

surei'm buried in materseven after my dipsh*t back neighbor took out half my garden....let me just fix my teleporter......Lynda <lurineAug 12, 2005 10:19 PM Subject: Re: Re: lunchCould ya send up some tomatoes? I want to make a Greek pasta salad tomorrow(pasta, chopped tomatoes, chopped red onion, diced zucchini, greek olives,tossed with creamy Italian dressing).Lynda-fraggle <EBbrewpunxFriday, August 12, 2005 3:58 PMRe: Re: lunch> and...dinner's gonna be> spinach salad> with fresh tomatoes from the garden> sun dried tomatoes>

walnuts> green apple...>> come on..just one more hour.............>> > heartwerk <heartwork> Aug 12, 2005 3:56 PM> > Re: lunch>> That was a nice lunch. I love plums - but can't eat too many in one> go - now if the tum would let me I would eat loads of them.>> Jo>> a blinding flash> hotter than the sun> dead bodies lie across the path> the radiation colors the air> finishing one by one>>>> To send an email to - >

Guest guest

whiteflies....try either squirting them off with the hose..if that doesn't work

a soap/water mixture sprayed on plants

or

a garlic/water mixture..

lastly..plant something bright yellow on the otherside of the garden you don't want...whiteflies like yellow

as for potato..is it a whole potato? all you need to do is plant the part with the *eyes*...

as fer yard..my yard is so small the ants are hunchbacked Jonnie Hellens Aug 16, 2005 2:04 PM Container Gardening

Speaking of which, I dug up the potato to see why nothing was happening, and it didn't seem to have the will of life and was quietly rotting away. I'll give er another go. Maybe I should start it inside with toothpicks and a jar of water? Meanwhile, the sweet potatoes are begging for a trellis.

I went out to my patio garden this am, only to find the dang whiteflies are back, ate a good portion of my strawberry plants and have started on my sweet potatoes and spearmint. Ugh, anyone have any organic recommendations?fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

surei'm buried in materseven after my dipsh*t back neighbor took out half my garden....let me just fix my teleporter......Lynda <lurineAug 12, 2005 10:19 PM Subject: Re: Re: lunchCould ya send up some tomatoes? I want to make a Greek pasta salad tomorrow(pasta, chopped tomatoes, chopped red onion, diced zucchini, greek olives,tossed with creamy Italian dressing).Lynda-fraggle <EBbrewpunxFriday, August 12, 2005 3:58 PMRe: Re: lunch> and...dinner's gonna be> spinach salad> with fresh tomatoes from the garden> sun dried tomatoes> walnuts> green apple...>> come on..just one more hour.............>> > heartwerk <heartwork> Aug 12, 2005 3:56 PM> > Re: lunch>> That was a nice lunch. I love plums - but can't eat too many in one> go - now if the tum would let me I would eat loads of them.>> Jo>> a blinding flash> hotter than the sun> dead bodies lie across the path> the radiation colors the air> finishing one by one>>>> To send an email to - >

Guest guest

where do you live?

what happened when they died? symptoms?

did they all die at the same time, all at once? whithered? yellow spots on leaves? "zurumato" Aug 16, 2005 2:45 PM Re: Container Gardening

Hi fraggle/Jonnie

I use the Gardens Alive website, they sell enviromentaly responsible products, organic solutions to

all kinds of Pest problems for gardeners.. It's where I buy my ladybugs from. They also sell that soap that you mentioned, although if you can make it at home, that's even better.

all of my tomatoes died, I had five beautiful tomato plants, which I thought where doing well. Some ChemLawn guy put a note in my mailbox and said that I had Mole Crickets, along with various other weeds.

Well, with a name like "Chem Lawn" how could I refused them. = - O

www.gardensalive.com

-

fraggle

8/16/2005 5:15:30 PM

Re: Container Gardening

or

a garlic/water mixture..

lastly..plant something bright yellow on the otherside of the garden you don't want...whiteflies like yellow

as for potato..is it a whole potato? all you need to do is plant the part with the *eyes*...

as fer yard..my yard is so small the ants are hunchbacked Jonnie Hellens Aug 16, 2005 2:04 PM Container Gardening

surei'm buried in materseven after my dipsh*t back neighbor took out half my garden....let me just fix my teleporter......Lynda <lurineAug 12, 2005 10:19 PM Subject: Re: Re: lunchCould ya send up some tomatoes? I want to make a Greek pasta salad tomorrow(pasta, chopped tomatoes, chopped red onion, diced zucchini, greek olives,tossed with creamy Italian dressing).Lynda-fraggle <EBbrewpunxFriday, August 12, 2005 3:58 PMRe: Re: lunch> and...dinner's gonna be> spinach salad> with fresh tomatoes from the garden> sun dried tomatoes> walnuts> green apple...>> come on..just one more hour.............>> > heartwerk <heartwork> Aug 12, 2005 3:56 PM> > Re: lunch>> That was a nice lunch. I love plums - but can't eat too many in one> go - now if the tum would let me I would eat loads of them.>> Jo>> a blinding flash> hotter than the sun> dead bodies lie across the path> the radiation colors the air> finishing one by one>>>> To send an email to - >

Guest guest

Hi fraggle/Jonnie

I use the Gardens Alive website, they sell enviromentaly responsible products, organic solutions to

all kinds of Pest problems for gardeners.. It's where I buy my ladybugs from. They also sell that soap that you mentioned, although if you can make it at home, that's even better.

all of my tomatoes died, I had five beautiful tomato plants, which I thought where doing well. Some ChemLawn guy put a note in my mailbox and said that I had Mole Crickets, along with various other weeds.

www.gardensalive.com

-

fraggle

or

a garlic/water mixture..

Guest guest

Hi fraggle,

I don't know it was kinda gradual. the leaves turned yellow. they withered and dried up. The roots were dried up. The plant was no longer green. I'm thinking something/someone ate the roots. Oh Well, I will try again.

btw, I live in florida, where I can't garden today because it is 100 degrees outside.

-anouk

-

fraggle

8/16/2005 5:44:53 PM

where do you live?

did they all die at the same time, all at once? whithered? yellow spots on leaves? "zurumato" Aug 16, 2005 2:45 PM Re: Container Gardening

Hi fraggle/Jonnie

www.gardensalive.com

-

fraggle

or

a garlic/water mixture..

Guest guest

did the leaves turn any other colors before they turned yellow?

where they being watered enough, or maybe too frequently?

any sign of insects? "zurumato" Aug 16, 2005 3:00 PM Re: Container Gardening

Hi fraggle,

I don't know it was kinda gradual. the leaves turned yellow. they withered and dried up. The roots were dried up. The plant was no longer green. I'm thinking something/someone ate the roots. Oh Well, I will try again.

btw, I live in florida, where I can't garden today because it is 100 degrees outside.

-anouk

-

fraggle

where do you live?

Hi fraggle/Jonnie

www.gardensalive.com

-

fraggle

or

a garlic/water mixture..

Guest guest

Hi fraggle,

no, they just gradually lost pigment, turned weak, I watered them about every three days sometimes less cause we get sudden thunders storms. I have some flying white tiny insects in my yard but don't know anything about them. They seem to have very little roots.

It feels helpless to watch your plants die. now I know how farmers feel. : (

-

fraggle

8/16/2005 6:05:12 PM

Hi fraggle,

-anouk

-

fraggle

where do you live?

Hi fraggle/Jonnie

www.gardensalive.com

-

fraggle

or

a garlic/water mixture..

Guest guest

little white flying insects? pretty small and "powdery looking"?

whiteflies...

was their any residue on the plants?..sticky stuff, that turned black? (honeydew)

if it wasn't the white flies, it sounds like root rot, a fungus, or a virus

destroy the plants..entirely...burn em er something....er compost em REAL deep in the pile

don't plant tomatoes(or peppers or potatoes) in the same area next year... "zurumato" Aug 16, 2005 3:39 PM Re: Container Gardening

Hi fraggle,

no, they just gradually lost pigment, turned weak, I watered them about every three days sometimes less cause we get sudden thunders storms. I have some flying white tiny insects in my yard but don't know anything about them. They seem to have very little roots.

-

fraggle

Hi fraggle,

-anouk

-

fraggle

where do you live?

Hi fraggle/Jonnie

www.gardensalive.com

-

fraggle

or

a garlic/water mixture..

Guest guest

yeah, that sounds like what happened, I threw them out last week, what was left.

I won't garden there again, I'll find another patch.

That's why I ordered the ladybeetles, to get rid of anything bad.

anyway thanks for the tip!

-

fraggle

8/16/2005 6:43:09 PM

little white flying insects? pretty small and "powdery looking"?

whiteflies...

was their any residue on the plants?..sticky stuff, that turned black? (honeydew)

if it wasn't the white flies, it sounds like root rot, a fungus, or a virus

destroy the plants..entirely...burn em er something....er compost em REAL deep in the pile

don't plant tomatoes(or peppers or potatoes) in the same area next year... "zurumato" Aug 16, 2005 3:39 PM Re: Container Gardening

Hi fraggle,

-

fraggle

Hi fraggle,

-anouk

-

fraggle

where do you live?

Hi fraggle/Jonnie

www.gardensalive.com

-

fraggle

or

a garlic/water mixture..

Guest guest

I Live in Phoenix, Arizona. I was having a huge problem with them earlier in the summer and lost several plants, then when it got too hot they disappeared. Not the weather is back in the low 100's after our pitiful monsoon season and they are thriving again. We've had a lot of probs with them this year. Along the side of the 202 fwy, there were so many of them, it looked like a mist of mini tornados, where they would circle up and down. The windshield and every other part of my truck was covered in them for a while, but there still were thousands more left.

The whiteflies suck the juice out of plants so they just kinda shrivel up, like in a sci fi film and they seem to like to stay together. I blast my plants with a hose once or twice a day, but it's of little use. I think I'll try garlic water. I thought I heard they didn't like lavender or rosemary, but obviously THAT'S not so! I still have 2 other large pots with 3 plants each that weren't touched, but that could change at any time.

They symptoms: healthy and happy in the morning, then shriveled in the afternoon when I get home. Disturb the plants and all the little suckers (literally) take flight. Yesterday when I got home, they had eaten some of my spicey peppers.

I wondered about trying lady bugs, but they don't really stick around to keep things under control. I had some yellow flowers, but they don't want to bloom when it's this hot.fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

where do you live?

Hi fraggle/Jonnie

www.gardensalive.com

-

fraggle

or

a garlic/water mixture..

surei'm buried in materseven after my dipsh*t back neighbor took out half my garden....let me just fix my teleporter......Lynda <lurineAug 12, 2005 10:19 PM Subject: Re: Re: lunchCould ya send up some tomatoes? I want to make a Greek pasta salad tomorrow(pasta, chopped tomatoes, chopped red onion, diced zucchini, greek olives,tossed with creamy Italian dressing).Lynda-fraggle <EBbrewpunxFriday, August 12, 2005 3:58 PMRe: Re: lunch> and...dinner's gonna be> spinach salad> with fresh tomatoes from the garden> sun dried tomatoes>

walnuts> green apple...>> come on..just one more hour.............>> > heartwerk <heartwork> Aug 12, 2005 3:56 PM> > Re: lunch>> That was a nice lunch. I love plums - but can't eat too many in one> go - now if the tum would let me I would eat loads of them.>> Jo>> a blinding flash> hotter than the sun> dead bodies lie across the path> the radiation colors the air> finishing one by one>>>> To send an email to - >

Guest guest

2 issues there

yer plants shrivel up because during the heat of the day, they can't keep their moisture levels up with a combined attack by the sun and the whiteflies..

at night, the plants are able to recoup somewhat, as they are able to take in some moisture and the whiteflies don't feed at nite...

whiteflies can be really hard to get rid of... Jonnie Hellens Aug 17, 2005 10:07 AM Re: Container Gardening

I Live in Phoenix, Arizona. I was having a huge problem with them earlier in the summer and lost several plants, then when it got too hot they disappeared. Not the weather is back in the low 100's after our pitiful monsoon season and they are thriving again. We've had a lot of probs with them this year. Along the side of the 202 fwy, there were so many of them, it looked like a mist of mini tornados, where they would circle up and down. The windshield and every other part of my truck was covered in them for a while, but there still were thousands more left.

The whiteflies suck the juice out of plants so they just kinda shrivel up, like in a sci fi film and they seem to like to stay together. I blast my plants with a hose once or twice a day, but it's of little use. I think I'll try garlic water. I thought I heard they didn't like lavender or rosemary, but obviously THAT'S not so! I still have 2 other large pots with 3 plants each that weren't touched, but that could change at any time.

They symptoms: healthy and happy in the morning, then shriveled in the afternoon when I get home. Disturb the plants and all the little suckers (literally) take flight. Yesterday when I got home, they had eaten some of my spicey peppers.

I wondered about trying lady bugs, but they don't really stick around to keep things under control. I had some yellow flowers, but they don't want to bloom when it's this hot.fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

where do you live?

Hi fraggle/Jonnie

www.gardensalive.com

-

fraggle

or

a garlic/water mixture..

Guest guest

Maybe a mineral deficency?, Epsom Salts could have helped?

The Valley Vegan................"zurumato" <zurumato wrote:

Hi fraggle,

-anouk

-

fraggle

where do you live?

Hi fraggle/Jonnie

www.gardensalive.com

-

fraggle

or

a garlic/water mixture..

Guest guest

soapy water sprayed on.

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Tuesday, August 16, 2005 10:04 PM

Container Gardening

Guest guest

Moisture? There's moisture around here? Actually, during the monsoon season, when it was more humid, my plants were much happier. I wasn't. The whiteflies will leave when it cools down enuf, hopefully my plants will survive that long.

I saw Garden's Alive has a pesticide that uses canola oil. I would think this would smuther the poor plants? If I make a garlic spray, I would have to spray it on each day after I water. Do you think I should boil some water with some garlic in it to make the spray? I picked up a stray dog who had a lot of ticks. I put salt all over the place and made a spray of fresh lavender, rosemary and lemon in water and got rid of those suckers pretty quick. I was tempted to put that spray on the plants, but was concerned that it would change the ph too much and cause probs. What do you think?fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

2 issues there

yer plants shrivel up because during the heat of the day, they can't keep their moisture levels up with a combined attack by the sun and the whiteflies..

at night, the plants are able to recoup somewhat, as they are able to take in some moisture and the whiteflies don't feed at nite...

whiteflies can be really hard to get rid of... Jonnie Hellens Aug 17, 2005 10:07 AM Re: Container Gardening

where do you live?

Hi fraggle/Jonnie

www.gardensalive.com

-

fraggle

or

a garlic/water mixture..

Guest guest

Isn't soap made of petroluem? Or do you mean castille soap?Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

soapy water sprayed on.

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Container Gardening

Guest guest

canola oil should work fine...

just don;t smother yer plants with it....

if yer ever worried about putting an oil er wot have you on a plant..do a test area on the plant...pick some leaves er a section of the plant.... Jonnie Hellens Aug 17, 2005 1:26 PM Re: Container Gardening

Moisture? There's moisture around here? Actually, during the monsoon season, when it was more humid, my plants were much happier. I wasn't. The whiteflies will leave when it cools down enuf, hopefully my plants will survive that long.

I saw Garden's Alive has a pesticide that uses canola oil. I would think this would smuther the poor plants? If I make a garlic spray, I would have to spray it on each day after I water. Do you think I should boil some water with some garlic in it to make the spray? I picked up a stray dog who had a lot of ticks. I put salt all over the place and made a spray of fresh lavender, rosemary and lemon in water and got rid of those suckers pretty quick. I was tempted to put that spray on the plants, but was concerned that it would change the ph too much and cause probs. What do you think?fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

2 issues there

where do you live?

Hi fraggle/Jonnie

www.gardensalive.com

-

fraggle

or

a garlic/water mixture..

Guest guest

I don't know - I use Ecover washin gup liquid to spray on.

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 9:35 PM

Isn't soap made of petroluem? Or do you mean castille soap?Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

soapy water sprayed on.

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Container Gardening

Guest guest

commericial soap is made by a combination of an alkaloid(lye) with an oil....vegetable or animal, depending on wot they want.... Jo Cwazy Aug 17, 2005 2:21 PM Re: Container Gardening

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

soapy water sprayed on.

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Container Gardening

Guest guest

Dr. Bronners soap is pure castille,

There also Pears, Glicerin Soap or San Francisco Sonama Soap, Desert Essence has tea tree oil soap.

Kiss my Face also has olive oil Soap, and Aubrey's organics, have a coconut fatty acid soap.

These are found in health food stores.

-

fraggle

8/17/2005 5:41:54 PM

commericial soap is made by a combination of an alkaloid(lye) with an oil....vegetable or animal, depending on wot they want.... Jo Cwazy Aug 17, 2005 2:21 PM Re: Container Gardening

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

soapy water sprayed on.

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Container Gardening

Guest guest

castile soaps are just soaps made with olive oil

same process...an alkalide added to a oil(in this case olive oil) "zurumato" Aug 17, 2005 3:07 PM Re: Container Gardening

There also Pears, Glicerin Soap or San Francisco Sonama Soap, Desert Essence has tea tree oil soap.

Kiss my Face also has olive oil Soap, and Aubrey's organics, have a coconut fatty acid soap.

-

fraggle

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

soapy water sprayed on.

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Container Gardening

Guest guest

I watered and then sprayed my plants with the garlic water. I hope that works. I bet Castille soap would be good too, since it's made with Olive Oil. They are working on one of my bell pepper plants now. The buggers!fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

canola oil should work fine...

just don;t smother yer plants with it....

if yer ever worried about putting an oil er wot have you on a plant..do a test area on the plant...pick some leaves er a section of the plant.... Jonnie Hellens Aug 17, 2005 1:26 PM Re: Container Gardening

2 issues there

where do you live?

Hi fraggle/Jonnie

www.gardensalive.com

-

fraggle

or

a garlic/water mixture..

Guest guest

I haven't heard of this. I googled it and nada.Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

soapy water sprayed on.

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Container Gardening

Guest guest

I'm currently using Dr Bronners hemp almond, which I suspect the darn things would like. I wonder if the peppermint would do any good? I know they haven't bothered my peppermint, but love my spearmint plants."zurumato" <zurumato wrote:

-

fraggle

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

soapy water sprayed on.

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Container Gardening

Guest guest

rn't there eyes all over the potato? (confused look)fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

or

a garlic/water mixture..