IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Edinburgh (BBC website)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

G8 summit police made 350 arrests

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4666985.stm

What do you make of the black clad anrchist fraction that openly engaged the police? You always get some nut cases , hell bent on causing trouble and ruining it for others. I suppose that it is because of that that the police are getting more anxious and resorting to arming themselves. Not defending the rossers, but I wouldnt want their job, especially in these troubled times ( are there any other type of times?) would you?

The Valley Vegan........Peter <metalscarab wrote:

> I just saw the films of Auchterader - the police were armed,> unfortunately.From what I could see, the police inside the fence around Gleneagles werearmed (in fact, I think they were the American Marines that our governmentshipped in), but those outside the fence only had the regular batons.BBPeterTo send an email to -

Guest guest

HI Peter

What a silly thing for them to say - any camper would have these things on

them.

BB

Jo

> > They are clearly organised and coordinated. We have recovered maps,

> > radios, and mobile telephones

Guest guest

Very true - let's hope there won't be too many unfortunate people carrying table legs around!

Jo

, and after the last couple of days in London, its only going to be more and more commonplace to see firearms "experts" on the street.

The Valley Vegan.........

Guest guest

Hi Peter

I suppose it is to be expected that they would be armed.

BB

Jo

> > I just saw the films of Auchterader - the police were armed,

> > unfortunately.

>

> From what I could see, the police inside the fence around Gleneagles were

> armed (in fact, I think they were the American Marines that our government

> shipped in), but those outside the fence only had the regular batons.

>

> BB

> Peter

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

Hi Peter

> Generally, is very subjective. Most unmarked police cars now have a little something in the boot for special occaisons ( if

> you know what I mean) - or so I have been led to believe, and after the last couple of days in London, its only going to be

> more and more commonplace to see firearms "experts" on the street.

My understanding is that the armed units have red police cars. I'd be surprised if they carry them in the boots of police cars, as that would make them relatively easy for people (that is, non police) with violent intentions to get hold of!!!

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Peter

> What do you make of the black clad anrchist fraction that openly engaged the police?

Would just like to clear up a couple of slight, potential misapprehensions.... not all anarchists attack people or property... I'd classify myself as an anarchist, since I believe that the political system espoused by an anarchist ideal would work far better than our current excuse for democracy. I am even more convinced of that, having just spent the best part of a week living in a community which followed that political ideal, and proved to be an incredibly successful community.

Also, from what I can gather, the only "open engagement" was on behalf of the police, who openly struck out at anybody who they wanted to. One of my clown friends offered a police officer a flower, and the result was an injured arm and leg, where the policeman "retaliated" at this apparent threat.

Of course, in any community there is going to be an element which is more easily provoked than others, and maybe some who just want to cause trouble. At the convergence centre we had some difficulties with drunk locals coming onto the site and trying (unsuccessfully) to stir up trouble - eventually anyone with more than one bottle of alcohol attempting to get into the site was refused entry in order to prevent this.

However, a large amount of trouble came from the police setting up unneccesary blockades (one day we were effectively imprisoned on the site for over 9 hours by the police blockade), and after a few hours of imprisonment, tempers can begin to flare, and the result is never going to be good.

Ultimately, the *only* damage that was done by protesters was the direct result of the police preventing our right to protest peacefully.

Although there were 350 arrests, a significant number of these were people blockading roads (basically, people lying or sitting or partying in roads), and were not a result of violence on behalf of protesters. One clown was arrested for dancing in a car park (yes, really) even though he wasn't even in anybodys way. I believe there were also a number of arrests which were made purely because people refused to give their names and addresses, and I suspect there will be a number of cases of wrongful arrest being brought in the next few weeks. In one incident, a group of about 30 wer stopped by the police walking to the Gleneagles march - they asked one person for their name and address, the person said that they were under no obligation to give those details unless they were under arrest, at which the police promptly arrested all 30 people, took their details and then de-arrested them!

On speaking to a number of local residents, the anger in the community is not at all aimed at protesters, but aimed at the police (since I've already posted on this I won't labour the point).

> Not defending the rossers, but I wouldnt want their job, especially in these troubled times ( are there any other type of

> times?) would you?

Nope - but that's probably why I'm not a policeman. It seems pretty obvious that the majority of police (at least those who were shipped in to Scotland) have joined the police for a power trip, rather than for any concern for the law or their local communities.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

> What a silly thing for them to say - any camper would have these things on

> them.

Yep - in fact, most ordinary tourists and locals would have those things

too. They were also confiscating all sorts of " weapons " like tent-poles and

vegetable knives. I believe that this is illegal, since you are allowed to

carry items which do not have a primary use as a weapon, even if they could

be used as such.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

I heard that most of the people arrested were let go almost immediately - out of the 350 there were about 80 people taken to court, and the vast majority of those were not for violent offenses.

Over the years I have come to the conclusion that the police are not there for our benefit.

JO

-

Peter

Saturday, July 09, 2005 4:31 PM

Re: Re: Edinburgh (BBC website)

Hi Peter

> What do you make of the black clad anrchist fraction that openly engaged the police?

Would just like to clear up a couple of slight, potential misapprehensions.... not all anarchists attack people or property... I'd classify myself as an anarchist, since I believe that the political system espoused by an anarchist ideal would work far better than our current excuse for democracy. I am even more convinced of that, having just spent the best part of a week living in a community which followed that political ideal, and proved to be an incredibly successful community.

Also, from what I can gather, the only "open engagement" was on behalf of the police, who openly struck out at anybody who they wanted to. One of my clown friends offered a police officer a flower, and the result was an injured arm and leg, where the policeman "retaliated" at this apparent threat.

Of course, in any community there is going to be an element which is more easily provoked than others, and maybe some who just want to cause trouble. At the convergence centre we had some difficulties with drunk locals coming onto the site and trying (unsuccessfully) to stir up trouble - eventually anyone with more than one bottle of alcohol attempting to get into the site was refused entry in order to prevent this.

However, a large amount of trouble came from the police setting up unneccesary blockades (one day we were effectively imprisoned on the site for over 9 hours by the police blockade), and after a few hours of imprisonment, tempers can begin to flare, and the result is never going to be good.

Ultimately, the *only* damage that was done by protesters was the direct result of the police preventing our right to protest peacefully.

Although there were 350 arrests, a significant number of these were people blockading roads (basically, people lying or sitting or partying in roads), and were not a result of violence on behalf of protesters. One clown was arrested for dancing in a car park (yes, really) even though he wasn't even in anybodys way. I believe there were also a number of arrests which were made purely because people refused to give their names and addresses, and I suspect there will be a number of cases of wrongful arrest being brought in the next few weeks. In one incident, a group of about 30 wer stopped by the police walking to the Gleneagles march - they asked one person for their name and address, the person said that they were under no obligation to give those details unless they were under arrest, at which the police promptly arrested all 30 people, took their details and then de-arrested them!

On speaking to a number of local residents, the anger in the community is not at all aimed at protesters, but aimed at the police (since I've already posted on this I won't labour the point).

> Not defending the rossers, but I wouldnt want their job, especially in these troubled times ( are there any other type of

> times?) would you?

Nope - but that's probably why I'm not a policeman. It seems pretty obvious that the majority of police (at least those who were shipped in to Scotland) have joined the police for a power trip, rather than for any concern for the law or their local communities.

BB

PeterTo send an email to -

Guest guest

I was annoyed about the things they confiscated. The knives were vegetable

knives for feeding 2000 people with a vegan food. They also confiscated 91

litres of vegetable oil. If this was a video you would see me pulling a

face like Rik from the Young Ones - in disbelief!

Jo

-

" Peter " <metalscarab

Saturday, July 09, 2005 4:37 PM

Re: Edinburgh (BBC website)

> > What a silly thing for them to say - any camper would have these things

on

> > them.

>

> Yep - in fact, most ordinary tourists and locals would have those things

> too. They were also confiscating all sorts of " weapons " like tent-poles

and

> vegetable knives. I believe that this is illegal, since you are allowed to

> carry items which do not have a primary use as a weapon, even if they

could

> be used as such.

>

> BB

> Peter

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

Nah. You don't say. Well, since your Blair is doing a monkey see, monkey do of Bush and 9/11, how soon before your police start emulating our FBI.

For those who aren't familiar with thetactics of the Federal Bumbling Idiots, they hold training seminars at police academies. They train cops in how to make a pipe bomb. Well, supposedly they aren't training in how to make the bombs but rather in how to disarm them. Funny thing is they routinely hold these seminars in areas where there are lots of protestors (political, eco, etc.) and then, wow, within 3 to 6 months some high profile protester gets caught with a pipe bomb. (Pine Ridge) Or in the case of EarthFirst! the bomb blows up in their car.

Or when a protest is going too well and getting public sympathy, they plant a mole and someone dies. Alcatraz is a good example of that tactic and a 13 year old girl died.

Or there is a fire and folks die (Waco, the SLA, etc., etc., etc.).

And when that doesn't work, there are mysterious fires at the home of folks who have been warned to shut up and get out of politics (Trudell) and their wife, children and in-laws die. And, surprise, surprise, who is the local sheriff who says there is no reason to investigate an arson fire? Why a former Goon Squad member who conveniently moved to NV from Pine Ridge shortly before the fire.

I hope for your sake over on that side of the pond that the monkey see, monkey do stops with Blair and doesn't trickle down.

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Saturday, July 09, 2005 8:57 AM

I heard that most of the people arrested were let go almost immediately - out of the 350 there were about 80 people taken to court, and the vast majority of those were not for violent offenses.

Over the years I have come to the conclusion that the police are not there for our benefit.

JO

Guest guest

Let's hope they don't follow. The only one I have heard of is Waco and that was totally disgraceful. It brought tears to my eyes when I saw the films of it.

Jo

-

Lynda

Saturday, July 09, 2005 5:16 PM

Nah. You don't say. Well, since your Blair is doing a monkey see, monkey do of Bush and 9/11, how soon before your police start emulating our FBI.

For those who aren't familiar with thetactics of the Federal Bumbling Idiots, they hold training seminars at police academies. They train cops in how to make a pipe bomb. Well, supposedly they aren't training in how to make the bombs but rather in how to disarm them. Funny thing is they routinely hold these seminars in areas where there are lots of protestors (political, eco, etc.) and then, wow, within 3 to 6 months some high profile protester gets caught with a pipe bomb. (Pine Ridge) Or in the case of EarthFirst! the bomb blows up in their car.

Or when a protest is going too well and getting public sympathy, they plant a mole and someone dies. Alcatraz is a good example of that tactic and a 13 year old girl died.

Or there is a fire and folks die (Waco, the SLA, etc., etc., etc.).

And when that doesn't work, there are mysterious fires at the home of folks who have been warned to shut up and get out of politics (Trudell) and their wife, children and in-laws die. And, surprise, surprise, who is the local sheriff who says there is no reason to investigate an arson fire? Why a former Goon Squad member who conveniently moved to NV from Pine Ridge shortly before the fire.

I hope for your sake over on that side of the pond that the monkey see, monkey do stops with Blair and doesn't trickle down.

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Saturday, July 09, 2005 8:57 AM

JO

To send an email to -

Guest guest

well, it all depends on your definition of "our"...

if by *our* you mean those of wealth, status, and property, then they are there...

if you mean the regular joe, the toiling masses, yer local folks, hahahahahahha...ferget it

get back in line.... Jo Cwazy Jul 9, 2005 8:57 AM Re: Re: Edinburgh (BBC website)

JO

-

"God was my co-pilot, but we crashed in the Andes and I had to eat him."

Guest guest

thye often confiscate such WMD's here like wood slats used to hold cardboard

signs during protests....

well..not in SF..but especially back east, and in SoCal

Peter <metalscarab

Jul 9, 2005 8:37 AM

> What a silly thing for them to say - any camper would have these things on

> them.

Yep - in fact, most ordinary tourists and locals would have those things

too. They were also confiscating all sorts of " weapons " like tent-poles and

vegetable knives. I believe that this is illegal, since you are allowed to

carry items which do not have a primary use as a weapon, even if they could

be used as such.

BB

Peter

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Hi Fraggle

> thye often confiscate such WMD's here like wood slats used to hold

cardboard signs during protests....

> well..not in SF..but especially back east, and in SoCal

It's the inconsistency that amazes me... a small group of us walked to the

Gleneagles march on Wednesday carrying two large sticks for a banner - we

got stopped by the police about 4 times on the way, and asked about the

sticks, but they didn't confiscate them! And yet they were confiscating

people's tent poles!!!!

BB

Peter

Guest guest

They did that here on one of the marches my daughter was on - they had to

remove the slats which were so light you would have a real job to hurt

anyone with them.

BB

Jo

>

>

> Peter <metalscarab

> Jul 9, 2005 8:37 AM

>

> Re: Edinburgh (BBC website)

>

on

> > them.

>

and

could

> be used as such.

>

> BB

> Peter

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

My mother used to be the bookkeeper for Bruce's Tires in Fraggle's neck of

the woods. She got us 50 yard line tickets for Raiders games, homeplate for

As and Giants and so forth and so on because the owners and players were

regular customers.

Before the Raiders moved to LaLa Land Al Davis gave her a football signed by

the players. She gave it to Son #1. He was taking Son #3 to Little League

practice one day and got stopped because his mini-truck looked like one used

in a drive by a week before (yeah, a real good description, white

mini-truck). The cops took the football and the bats because they were

weapons.

Yup, I always see game members running around doing " drive-bys " using

baseball bats that have mits hanging from them!

He never did ge the bats back OR the football.

Lynda

-

fraggle <EBbrewpunx

Saturday, July 09, 2005 11:57 AM

>

>

> Peter <metalscarab

> Jul 9, 2005 8:37 AM

>

>

on

> > them.

>

and

could

> be used as such.

>

> BB

> Peter

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

That's terrible. I bet he was upset.

Jo

>

> He never did ge the bats back OR the football.

>

> Lynda

Guest guest

OK, OK, the bats I can kind of understand, but a FOOTBALL?!? You've got to

be kidding me!

Love,

Anna

> [Original Message]

> Lynda <lurine

>

> 7/9/2005 4:28:17 PM

>

> My mother used to be the bookkeeper for Bruce's Tires in Fraggle's neck of

> the woods. She got us 50 yard line tickets for Raiders games, homeplate

for

> As and Giants and so forth and so on because the owners and players were

> regular customers.

>

> Before the Raiders moved to LaLa Land Al Davis gave her a football signed

by

> the players. She gave it to Son #1. He was taking Son #3 to Little

League

> practice one day and got stopped because his mini-truck looked like one

used

> in a drive by a week before (yeah, a real good description, white

> mini-truck). The cops took the football and the bats because they were

> weapons.

>

> Yup, I always see game members running around doing " drive-bys " using

> baseball bats that have mits hanging from them!

>

> He never did ge the bats back OR the football.

>

> Lynda

> -

> fraggle <EBbrewpunx

>

> Saturday, July 09, 2005 11:57 AM

>

>

> > thye often confiscate such WMD's here like wood slats used to hold

> cardboard signs during protests....

> > well..not in SF..but especially back east, and in SoCal

> >

> >

> > Peter <metalscarab

> > Jul 9, 2005 8:37 AM

> >

> > Re: Edinburgh (BBC website)

> >

> > > What a silly thing for them to say - any camper would have these

things

> on

> > > them.

> >

> > Yep - in fact, most ordinary tourists and locals would have those things

> > too. They were also confiscating all sorts of " weapons " like tent-poles

> and

> > vegetable knives. I believe that this is illegal, since you are allowed

to

> > carry items which do not have a primary use as a weapon, even if they

> could

> > be used as such.

> >

> > BB

> > Peter

> >

> >

> >

> > To send an email to -

> >

Guest guest

A football worth several hundred dollars! The bats were in bat bags and had

mits strung over the grip area. Oh, and they were in the bed of the truck

in a tool box which was locked. We are talking are real BIG reach! Oops, I

should tell you that one of the bats was a custom order which belonged to DH

that he played on a league with. the other bat was Son #3's MVP bat which

had the league name, his name, the year and MVP.

Lynda

-

Anna Blaine <anna333

Saturday, July 09, 2005 4:13 PM

> OK, OK, the bats I can kind of understand, but a FOOTBALL?!? You've got

to

> be kidding me!

>

> Love,

> Anna

>

Guest guest

by

League

used

> weapons.

Well, obviously those footballs you use in the US with those ever so sharp

points must be dangerous weapons... perhaps the police had been watching the

1980s Flash Gordon film!!!!

BB

Peter

Guest guest

LOL! I reckon they just wanted a souvenier.

BB

Jo

> Well, obviously those footballs you use in the US with those ever so sharp

> points must be dangerous weapons... perhaps the police had been watching

the

> 1980s Flash Gordon film!!!!

>

> BB

> Peter

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

go flash go!

my father got arrested once fer having a baseball bat, mitt and a glove in the

trunk of his car....

(he got pulled over and searched becuase he looked suspiscious...)(ahhhh LA)

Peter <metalscarab

Jul 10, 2005 4:04 AM

by

League

used

> weapons.

Well, obviously those footballs you use in the US with those ever so sharp

points must be dangerous weapons... perhaps the police had been watching the

1980s Flash Gordon film!!!!

BB

Peter

To send an email to -

Guest guest

My sources refer to stations away from cities where they may not have a particular colour car, just plain incognito unmarked jobbies. I could be wrong, I would hope so, but how would we know?

The Valley Vegan.......Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Peter

> Generally, is very subjective. Most unmarked police cars now have a little something in the boot for special occaisons ( if

> you know what I mean) - or so I have been led to believe, and after the last couple of days in London, its only going to be

> more and more commonplace to see firearms "experts" on the street.

My understanding is that the armed units have red police cars. I'd be surprised if they carry them in the boots of police cars, as that would make them relatively easy for people (that is, non police) with violent intentions to get hold of!!!

BB

PeterTo send an email to - Peter H

Messenger

NEW - crystal clear PC to PC

calling worldwide with voicemail

Guest guest

Hi Peter,

Glad to have you back in one piece. Not sure I agree with you about anarchy, as I dont think it could ever practically exist, same as pure communism, not practical. Each to his own.

The question I raised was in reference to footage shown on the telly of a gang of people clad in black,faces covered, openly attacking a line of police with sticks......seemed extremely stupid to me. Must have been a hidden agenda somewhere?

Anarchy :Absence of any cohesive principle, such as a common standard or purpose.

The Valley Vegan.........Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Peter

> times?) would you?

BB

PeterTo send an email to - Peter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos

Guest guest

Hi Peter

> Glad to have you back in one piece. Not sure I agree with you about anarchy, as I dont think it could ever practically exist,

> same as pure communism, not practical. Each to his own.

Or pure Capitalism! I don't suggest that anarchy would solve every problem in the world... I just think it would be better than anything that has been tried before, and particularly better than the current system.

> The question I raised was in reference to footage shown on the telly of a gang of people clad in black,faces covered, openly

> attacking a line of police with sticks......seemed extremely stupid to me. Must have been a hidden agenda somewhere?

Could you at least tell me which day it was? I don't recall there being any such incidents. Perhaps this is a case of using old footage to try to make a point (like the 10 year old footage they used of Palestinians after 9/11).

> Anarchy :Absence of any cohesive principle, such as a common standard or purpose.

That is the dictionary definition.... there is now a growing political movement in which the word has quite a different meaning... basically, non-hierarchical, completely egalitarian political system in which everyone's voice is heard. Generally working on the principle of very small "collective" groups, as opposed to the rather cumbersome nation state idea.

BB

Peter