IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

new heights in journalistic excellence...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

my point was the red and white become the *normal* way of depicting him....

before then, he had every damn color underthe rainbow it seemed

and, coca cola promoted him EVERYWHERE

twas the night before x-mas couldn't hold a candle to the sheer weight of advertising coke pushed out.... Peter Jun 19, 2005 3:28 AM Re: Re: new heights in journalistic excellence...

Hi Fraggle

Not often I get a chance to disagree with you :-)

> the only fly in the ointment is that the familiar red and white costume fer santa is a twentieth century creation

Nope - it's 19th century. There are a number of pictures of Santa from 19th century Denmark showing Santa in the red & white costume.

> as for coke...basically coca cola was the first to really mass market the *modern* image we have of saint nick..so they did

> popularize his current image

They were beaten by some decades by 'Twas the Night Before Christmas, which is what popularised the image... at least in countries where people read :-)

BB

Peter

To send an email to -

Guest guest

only if you can't access it normally. Actually I don't agree anyway. I don't think drugs lead you anywhere apart from into your own mind.

Jo

-

fraggle

Sunday, June 19, 2005 6:06 PM

Re: Re: new heights in journalistic excellence...

i'm sure a lot of things do because humans have always linked the supernatural and the mystic, and *drugs* are the gateway to that world Jo Cwazy Jun 19, 2005 3:05 AM Re: Re: new heights in journalistic excellence...

Why does everything have to be connected to drugs?

Jo

-

fraggle

Sunday, June 19, 2005 1:41 AM

there is some sort if lnk between the red and white fly agaric mushroom, and santa

the only fly in the ointment is that the familiar red and white costume fer santa is a twentieth century creation

tho, there is prolly a link somewhere, since reindeer ate the mushrooms, and thye have psyochoactive properties..the reindeer did have to fly somehow..

also, certain russian, lapland, and siberian shamans used the mushrooms, and would dry them over the fireplaces(stockings)

etc and so forth

as for coke...basically coca cola was the first to really mass market the *modern* image we have of saint nick..so they did popularize his current image peter hurd Jun 18, 2005 7:45 AM Re: Re: new heights in journalistic excellence...

I heard that the origins of this strange figure have something to do with the fly agaric mushroom.......you and Frag know everything, fill in the blanks from my ailing memory.

The Valley Vegan........metalscarab wrote:

hi Mary> I totally forgot that Coco Cola practically invented Santa as we know> him.Actually, this is a complete misnoma... the "santa" we know first appearedin a Danish wood-cut in the early 19th century, and became popularised by"'twas the night before Christmas", which, IIRC is from the 19th century.The confusion around Coca Cola arose because they tried (unsuccessfully)to copyright the image in the 1940s.BBPeterTo send an email to -

Guest guest

Tht may be the case in America - but I'd never heard of Coca Cola when I was a kid. We don't seem to have quite such large advertising campaigns over here - either that or we are better at ignoring them.

Jo

-

fraggle

Sunday, June 19, 2005 6:25 PM

twas the night before x-mas couldn't hold a candle to the sheer weight of advertising coke pushed out.... Peter Jun 19, 2005 3:28 AM Re: Re: new heights in journalistic excellence...

Hi Fraggle

> the only fly in the ointment is that the familiar red and white costume fer santa is a twentieth century creation

Nope - it's 19th century. There are a number of pictures of Santa from 19th century Denmark showing Santa in the red & white costume.

> as for coke...basically coca cola was the first to really mass market the *modern* image we have of saint nick..so they did

They were beaten by some decades by 'Twas the Night Before Christmas, which is what popularised the image... at least in countries where people read :-)

BB

Peter

To send an email to -

Guest guest

sorry..when i say everywhere, i am referencing the colonies....

wot happens/happened across the pond is a bit out of my league....

Jo Cwazy Jun 19, 2005 12:14 PM Re: Re: new heights in journalistic excellence...

Tht may be the case in America - but I'd never heard of Coca Cola when I was a kid. We don't seem to have quite such large advertising campaigns over here - either that or we are better at ignoring them.

Jo

-

fraggle

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Hi Fraggle

> i'm sure a lot of things do because humans have always linked the supernatural and the mystic, and *drugs* are the gateway

> to that world

Call me picky if you like, but drugs are *a* gateway to that world - there are plenty of other routes!

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Fraggle

You're taking a very American view... Twas the Night was incredibly popular throughout Europe.

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

To send an email to -

Guest guest

The artist responsible for the Coca Cola santa is Haddon Sundblom. He's from the Netherlands, so it would follow that he would probably paint a santa that had that influence. The first painting is from 1931.

The Night Before Christmas goes back to 1823 and the Santa as we know him was first published in Harpers in 1860. Rudolph with his red nose, etc. was invented in 1939 compliments of Montgomery Wards for a Christmas ad.

And, that is the rest of the story <g>

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Sunday, June 19, 2005 12:14 PM

Jo

-

fraggle

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Snuff and opiates are from "across the pond."

Lynda

-

fraggle

Sunday, June 19, 2005 1:18 PM

sorry..when i say everywhere, i am referencing the colonies....

wot happens/happened across the pond is a bit out of my league....

Jo Cwazy Jun 19, 2005 12:14 PM Re: Re: new heights in journalistic excellence...

Jo

-

fraggle

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

To send an email to -

Guest guest

of course i am...

i live here....fer better er fer worse

like i said..i can't vouch fer wot happened everyhwere else, as i wasn;t there, and, frankly, to be honest, all media here only points to one place...here....

i just know that coca cola made a marketing blitz out of the red jolly santa...

i'm not sayin they were the first, but they popularized the image...in their juffernaut of advertising Peter Jun 19, 2005 4:56 PM Re: Re: new heights in journalistic excellence...

Hi Fraggle

You're taking a very American view... Twas the Night was incredibly popular throughout Europe.

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

To send an email to -

Guest guest

fine

its wot i meant to say

picky picky picky

:) Peter Jun 19, 2005 4:54 PM Re: Re: new heights in journalistic excellence...

Hi Fraggle

> i'm sure a lot of things do because humans have always linked the supernatural and the mystic, and *drugs* are the gateway

> to that world

Call me picky if you like, but drugs are *a* gateway to that world - there are plenty of other routes!

BB

Peter

To send an email to -

Guest guest

thats suppose to be *juggernaut*

sheesh...7 er 8 beers and my spellin goes down the tubes..... fraggle Jun 19, 2005 5:38 PM Re: Re: new heights in journalistic excellence...

of course i am...

i live here....fer better er fer worse

like i said..i can't vouch fer wot happened everyhwere else, as i wasn;t there, and, frankly, to be honest, all media here only points to one place...here....

i just know that coca cola made a marketing blitz out of the red jolly santa...

i'm not sayin they were the first, but they popularized the image...in their juffernaut of advertising Peter Jun 19, 2005 4:56 PM Re: Re: new heights in journalistic excellence...

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

To send an email to -

Guest guest

I agree Jo. There are many other ways to access other

worlds/dimensions/planes.

I think drugs just " enhance " your mind levels. Not necessarily for

the good.

BB

Nikki :)

, " Jo Cwazy " <heartwork@c...> wrote:

> only if you can't access it normally. Actually I don't agree

anyway. I don't think drugs lead you anywhere apart from into your

own mind.

>

> Jo

> -

> fraggle

>

> Sunday, June 19, 2005 6:06 PM

> Re: Re: new heights in journalistic

excellence...

>

>

> i'm sure a lot of things do because humans have always linked

the supernatural and the mystic, and *drugs* are the gateway to that

world

>

>

>

> Jo Cwazy

> Jun 19, 2005 3:05 AM

>

excellence...

>

>

> Why does everything have to be connected to drugs?

>

> Jo

> -

> fraggle

>

> Sunday, June 19, 2005 1:41 AM

excellence...

>

>

> there is some sort if lnk between the red and white fly agaric

mushroom, and santa

> the only fly in the ointment is that the familiar red and

white costume fer santa is a twentieth century creation

> tho, there is prolly a link somewhere, since reindeer ate the

mushrooms, and thye have psyochoactive properties..the reindeer did

have to fly somehow..

> also, certain russian, lapland, and siberian shamans used the

mushrooms, and would dry them over the fireplaces(stockings)

> etc and so forth

>

> as for coke...basically coca cola was the first to really mass

market the *modern* image we have of saint nick..so they did

popularize his current image

>

>

>

> peter hurd

> Jun 18, 2005 7:45 AM

>

excellence...

>

>

> I heard that the origins of this strange figure have something

to do with the fly agaric mushroom.......you and Frag know

everything, fill in the blanks from my ailing memory.

>

> The Valley Vegan........

>

> metalscarab@c... wrote:

> hi Mary

>

> > I totally forgot that Coco Cola practically invented Santa

as we know

> > him.

>

> Actually, this is a complete misnoma... the " santa " we know

first appeared

> in a Danish wood-cut in the early 19th century, and became

popularised by

> " 'twas the night before Christmas " , which, IIRC is from the

19th century.

> The confusion around Coca Cola arose because they tried

(unsuccessfully)

> to copyright the image in the 1940s.

>

> BB

> Peter

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

Oh Nikki - I'm so glad someone else agrees.

Last party I was at where the fairy cakes were rife the conversation was

about condoms flying around - either the moon or the room - couldn't make

out what exactly.

Jo

-

" nikki_mackovitch " <nikkimack

Monday, June 20, 2005 1:29 PM

Re: new heights in journalistic excellence...

> I agree Jo. There are many other ways to access other

> worlds/dimensions/planes.

>

> I think drugs just " enhance " your mind levels. Not necessarily for

> the good.

>

> BB

> Nikki :)

>

> , " Jo Cwazy " <heartwork@c...> wrote:

> > only if you can't access it normally. Actually I don't agree

> anyway. I don't think drugs lead you anywhere apart from into your

> own mind.

> >

> > Jo

> > -

> > fraggle

> >

> > Sunday, June 19, 2005 6:06 PM

> > Re: Re: new heights in journalistic

> excellence...

> >

> >

> > i'm sure a lot of things do because humans have always linked

> the supernatural and the mystic, and *drugs* are the gateway to that

> world

> >

> >

> >

> > Jo Cwazy

> > Jun 19, 2005 3:05 AM

> >

> excellence...

> >

> >

> > Why does everything have to be connected to drugs?

> >

> > Jo

> > -

> > fraggle

> >

> > Sunday, June 19, 2005 1:41 AM

> excellence...

> >

> >

> > there is some sort if lnk between the red and white fly agaric

> mushroom, and santa

> > the only fly in the ointment is that the familiar red and

> white costume fer santa is a twentieth century creation

> > tho, there is prolly a link somewhere, since reindeer ate the

> mushrooms, and thye have psyochoactive properties..the reindeer did

> have to fly somehow..

> > also, certain russian, lapland, and siberian shamans used the

> mushrooms, and would dry them over the fireplaces(stockings)

> > etc and so forth

> >

> > as for coke...basically coca cola was the first to really mass

> market the *modern* image we have of saint nick..so they did

> >

> >

> >

> > peter hurd

> > Jun 18, 2005 7:45 AM

> >

> excellence...

> >

> >

> > I heard that the origins of this strange figure have something

> to do with the fly agaric mushroom.......you and Frag know

> everything, fill in the blanks from my ailing memory.

> >

> > The Valley Vegan........

> >

> > metalscarab@c... wrote:

> > hi Mary

> >

> > > I totally forgot that Coco Cola practically invented Santa

> as we know

> > > him.

> >

> > Actually, this is a complete misnoma... the " santa " we know

> first appeared

> > in a Danish wood-cut in the early 19th century, and became

> popularised by

> > " 'twas the night before Christmas " , which, IIRC is from the

> 19th century.

> > The confusion around Coca Cola arose because they tried

> (unsuccessfully)

> > to copyright the image in the 1940s.

> >

> > BB

> > Peter

> >

> >

> >

> > To send an email to -

>

> >

Guest guest

Hi Jo

Sounds interesting to say the least! To me, tis much more

interesting to be straight in a room of " loons " , than a loon in a

straight room! :)

I always find it fun to just watch others. Humans can be such

interesting creatures.

Tho I am sure after a few beers I may be quite interesting myself.

BB

Nikki

, " Jo Cwazy " <heartwork@c...> wrote:

> Oh Nikki - I'm so glad someone else agrees.

>

> Last party I was at where the fairy cakes were rife the

conversation was

> about condoms flying around - either the moon or the room -

couldn't make

> out what exactly.

>

> Jo

> -

> " nikki_mackovitch " <nikkimack@m...>

>

> Monday, June 20, 2005 1:29 PM

> Re: new heights in journalistic excellence...

>

>

> > I agree Jo. There are many other ways to access other

> > worlds/dimensions/planes.

> >

> > I think drugs just " enhance " your mind levels. Not necessarily

for

> > the good.

> >

> > BB

> > Nikki :)

> >

> > , " Jo Cwazy " <heartwork@c...>

wrote:

> > > only if you can't access it normally. Actually I don't agree

> > anyway. I don't think drugs lead you anywhere apart from into

your

> > own mind.

> > >

> > > Jo

> > > -

> > > fraggle

> > >

> > > Sunday, June 19, 2005 6:06 PM

> > > Re: Re: new heights in journalistic

> > excellence...

> > >

> > >

> > > i'm sure a lot of things do because humans have always linked

> > the supernatural and the mystic, and *drugs* are the gateway to

that

> > world

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Jo Cwazy

> > > Jun 19, 2005 3:05 AM

> > >

> > excellence...

> > >

> > >

> > > Why does everything have to be connected to drugs?

> > >

> > > Jo

> > > -

> > > fraggle

> > >

> > > Sunday, June 19, 2005 1:41 AM

> > excellence...

> > >

> > >

> > > there is some sort if lnk between the red and white fly

agaric

> > mushroom, and santa

> > > the only fly in the ointment is that the familiar red and

> > white costume fer santa is a twentieth century creation

> > > tho, there is prolly a link somewhere, since reindeer ate

the

> > mushrooms, and thye have psyochoactive properties..the reindeer

did

> > have to fly somehow..

> > > also, certain russian, lapland, and siberian shamans used

the

> > mushrooms, and would dry them over the fireplaces(stockings)

> > > etc and so forth

> > >

> > > as for coke...basically coca cola was the first to really

mass

> > market the *modern* image we have of saint nick..so they did

> > popularize his current image

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > peter hurd

> > > Jun 18, 2005 7:45 AM

> > >

> > excellence...

> > >

> > >

> > > I heard that the origins of this strange figure have

something

> > to do with the fly agaric mushroom.......you and Frag know

> > everything, fill in the blanks from my ailing memory.

> > >

> > > The Valley Vegan........

> > >

> > > metalscarab@c... wrote:

> > > hi Mary

> > >

> > > > I totally forgot that Coco Cola practically invented

Santa

> > as we know

> > > > him.

> > >

> > > Actually, this is a complete misnoma... the " santa " we

know

> > first appeared

> > > in a Danish wood-cut in the early 19th century, and

became

> > popularised by

> > > " 'twas the night before Christmas " , which, IIRC is from

the

> > 19th century.

> > > The confusion around Coca Cola arose because they tried

> > (unsuccessfully)

> > > to copyright the image in the 1940s.

> > >

> > > BB

> > > Peter

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > To send an email to -

> >

> > >

Guest guest

Very true. I can have a lot of fun watching people.

Jo

-

" nikki_mackovitch " <nikkimack

Monday, June 20, 2005 9:13 PM

> Hi Jo

>

> Sounds interesting to say the least! To me, tis much more

> interesting to be straight in a room of " loons " , than a loon in a

> straight room! :)

>

> I always find it fun to just watch others. Humans can be such

> interesting creatures.

>

> Tho I am sure after a few beers I may be quite interesting myself.

>

> BB

> Nikki

>

Guest guest

One year I got tired up putting up with corporate types (worked as a

paralegal and admin. asst.), so I decided to cocktail. The money was good

but I would find myself stopping and watching in wonder some of the antics

of the drunks or those " high " on other things. I always thought that if I

had a video camera to record it for posteriety they would have surely given

up their poison of choice if they had seen themselves!

Lynda

-

nikki_mackovitch <nikkimack

Monday, June 20, 2005 1:13 PM

> Hi Jo

>

> Sounds interesting to say the least! To me, tis much more

> interesting to be straight in a room of " loons " , than a loon in a

> straight room! :)

>

> I always find it fun to just watch others. Humans can be such

> interesting creatures.

>

> Tho I am sure after a few beers I may be quite interesting myself.

>

> BB

> Nikki

>

>

> , " Jo Cwazy " <heartwork@c...> wrote:

> > Oh Nikki - I'm so glad someone else agrees.

> >

> > Last party I was at where the fairy cakes were rife the

> conversation was

> > about condoms flying around - either the moon or the room -

> couldn't make

> > out what exactly.

> >

> > Jo

> > -

> > " nikki_mackovitch " <nikkimack@m...>

> >

> > Monday, June 20, 2005 1:29 PM

> > Re: new heights in journalistic excellence...

> >

> >

> > > I agree Jo. There are many other ways to access other

> > > worlds/dimensions/planes.

> > >

> > > I think drugs just " enhance " your mind levels. Not necessarily

> for

> > > the good.

> > >

> > > BB

> > > Nikki :)

> > >

> > > , " Jo Cwazy " <heartwork@c...>

> wrote:

> > > > only if you can't access it normally. Actually I don't agree

> > > anyway. I don't think drugs lead you anywhere apart from into

> your

> > > own mind.

> > > >

> > > > Jo

> > > > -

> > > > fraggle

> > > >

> > > > Sunday, June 19, 2005 6:06 PM

> > > > Re: Re: new heights in journalistic

> > > excellence...

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > i'm sure a lot of things do because humans have always linked

> > > the supernatural and the mystic, and *drugs* are the gateway to

> that

> > > world

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Jo Cwazy

> > > > Jun 19, 2005 3:05 AM

> > > >

> > > excellence...

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Why does everything have to be connected to drugs?

> > > >

> > > > Jo

> > > > -

> > > > fraggle

> > > >

> > > > Sunday, June 19, 2005 1:41 AM

> > > excellence...

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > there is some sort if lnk between the red and white fly

> agaric

> > > mushroom, and santa

> > > > the only fly in the ointment is that the familiar red and

> > > white costume fer santa is a twentieth century creation

> > > > tho, there is prolly a link somewhere, since reindeer ate

> the

> > > mushrooms, and thye have psyochoactive properties..the reindeer

> did

> > > have to fly somehow..

> > > > also, certain russian, lapland, and siberian shamans used

> the

> > > mushrooms, and would dry them over the fireplaces(stockings)

> > > > etc and so forth

> > > >

> > > > as for coke...basically coca cola was the first to really

> mass

> > > market the *modern* image we have of saint nick..so they did

> > > popularize his current image

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > peter hurd

> > > > Jun 18, 2005 7:45 AM

> > > >

> > > excellence...

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > I heard that the origins of this strange figure have

> something

> > > to do with the fly agaric mushroom.......you and Frag know

> > > everything, fill in the blanks from my ailing memory.

> > > >

> > > > The Valley Vegan........

> > > >

> > > > metalscarab@c... wrote:

> > > > hi Mary

> > > >

> > > > > I totally forgot that Coco Cola practically invented

> Santa

> > > as we know

> > > > > him.

> > > >

> > > > Actually, this is a complete misnoma... the " santa " we

> know

> > > first appeared

> > > > in a Danish wood-cut in the early 19th century, and

> became

> > > popularised by

> > > > " 'twas the night before Christmas " , which, IIRC is from

> the

> > > 19th century.

> > > > The confusion around Coca Cola arose because they tried

> > > (unsuccessfully)

> > > > to copyright the image in the 1940s.

> > > >

> > > > BB

> > > > Peter

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > To send an email to -

> > >

> > > >

Guest guest

you don't know drunx very well

:) Lynda Jun 20, 2005 5:11 PM Re: Re: new heights in journalistic excellence... One year I got tired up putting up with corporate types (worked as aparalegal and admin. asst.), so I decided to cocktail. The money was goodbut I would find myself stopping and watching in wonder some of the anticsof the drunks or those "high" on other things. I always thought that if Ihad a video camera to record it for posteriety they would have surely givenup their poison of choice if they had seen themselves!Lynda

Those who control the past, control the future; Those who control the future, control the present; Those who control the present, control the past.^

Guest guest

I spent many years behind bars both here and in Florida and can tell

you that idiots and obnoxious people come in both forms (drunk and

sober). The advantage of dealing with the drunk ones is that you can

be rude or ignore them and they will not remember tomorrow.

I can also speak as one who has annoyed many a bar person myself and

have learned that the best thing to leave at home if you are going

out for the night is the possibility of feeling any guilt over it

the following day. You are wasting the night if you allow that one

to creep up on you. (so yes, I am one of the ones that you want to

put the camera on)

Mary

, " Lynda " <lurine@s...> wrote:

> One year I got tired up putting up with corporate types (worked as

a

> paralegal and admin. asst.), so I decided to cocktail. The money

was good

> but I would find myself stopping and watching in wonder some of

the antics

> of the drunks or those " high " on other things. I always thought

that if I

> had a video camera to record it for posteriety they would have

surely given

> up their poison of choice if they had seen themselves!

>

> Lynda

> -

> nikki_mackovitch <nikkimack@m...>

>

> Monday, June 20, 2005 1:13 PM

> Re: new heights in journalistic excellence...

>

>

> > Hi Jo

> >

> > Sounds interesting to say the least! To me, tis much more

> > interesting to be straight in a room of " loons " , than a loon in a

> > straight room! :)

> >

> > I always find it fun to just watch others. Humans can be such

> > interesting creatures.

> >

> > Tho I am sure after a few beers I may be quite interesting

myself.

> >

> > BB

> > Nikki

> >

> >

> > , " Jo Cwazy " <heartwork@c...>

wrote:

> > > Oh Nikki - I'm so glad someone else agrees.

> > >

> > > Last party I was at where the fairy cakes were rife the

> > conversation was

> > > about condoms flying around - either the moon or the room -

> > couldn't make

> > > out what exactly.

> > >

> > > Jo

> > > -

> > > " nikki_mackovitch " <nikkimack@m...>

> > >

> > > Monday, June 20, 2005 1:29 PM

> > > Re: new heights in journalistic

excellence...

> > >

> > >

> > > > I agree Jo. There are many other ways to access other

> > > > worlds/dimensions/planes.

> > > >

> > > > I think drugs just " enhance " your mind levels. Not

necessarily

> > for

> > > > the good.

> > > >

> > > > BB

> > > > Nikki :)

> > > >

> > > > , " Jo Cwazy "

<heartwork@c...>

> > wrote:

> > > > > only if you can't access it normally. Actually I don't

agree

> > > > anyway. I don't think drugs lead you anywhere apart from

into

> > your

> > > > own mind.

> > > > >

> > > > > Jo

> > > > > -

> > > > > fraggle

> > > > >

> > > > > Sunday, June 19, 2005 6:06 PM

> > > > > Re: Re: new heights in journalistic

> > > > excellence...

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > i'm sure a lot of things do because humans have always

linked

> > > > the supernatural and the mystic, and *drugs* are the gateway

to

> > that

> > > > world

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Jo Cwazy

> > > > > Jun 19, 2005 3:05 AM

> > > > >

> > > > > Re: Re: new heights in journalistic

> > > > excellence...

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Why does everything have to be connected to drugs?

> > > > >

> > > > > Jo

> > > > > -

> > > > > fraggle

> > > > >

> > > > > Sunday, June 19, 2005 1:41 AM

> > > > > Re: Re: new heights in

journalistic

> > > > excellence...

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > there is some sort if lnk between the red and white fly

> > agaric

> > > > mushroom, and santa

> > > > > the only fly in the ointment is that the familiar red

and

> > > > white costume fer santa is a twentieth century creation

> > > > > tho, there is prolly a link somewhere, since reindeer

ate

> > the

> > > > mushrooms, and thye have psyochoactive properties..the

reindeer

> > did

> > > > have to fly somehow..

> > > > > also, certain russian, lapland, and siberian shamans

used

> > the

> > > > mushrooms, and would dry them over the fireplaces(stockings)

> > > > > etc and so forth

> > > > >

> > > > > as for coke...basically coca cola was the first to

really

> > mass

> > > > market the *modern* image we have of saint nick..so they did

> > > > popularize his current image

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > peter hurd

> > > > > Jun 18, 2005 7:45 AM

> > > > >

> > > > > Re: Re: new heights in

journalistic

> > > > excellence...

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > I heard that the origins of this strange figure have

> > something

> > > > to do with the fly agaric mushroom.......you and Frag know

> > > > everything, fill in the blanks from my ailing memory.

> > > > >

> > > > > The Valley Vegan........

> > > > >

> > > > > metalscarab@c... wrote:

> > > > > hi Mary

> > > > >

> > > > > > I totally forgot that Coco Cola practically

invented

> > Santa

> > > > as we know

> > > > > > him.

> > > > >

> > > > > Actually, this is a complete misnoma... the " santa "

we

> > know

> > > > first appeared

> > > > > in a Danish wood-cut in the early 19th century, and

> > became

> > > > popularised by

> > > > > " 'twas the night before Christmas " , which, IIRC is

from

> > the

> > > > 19th century.

> > > > > The confusion around Coca Cola arose because they

tried

> > > > (unsuccessfully)

> > > > > to copyright the image in the 1940s.

> > > > >

> > > > > BB

> > > > > Peter

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > To send an email to -

> > > >

> > > > >

Guest guest

Phew! When I read your first sentence I thought you had been in

prison in both states!

, " Mary Minihane " <minih@g...> wrote:

> I spent many years behind bars both here and in Florida and can

tell

> you that idiots and obnoxious people come in both forms (drunk and

> sober). The advantage of dealing with the drunk ones is that you

can

> be rude or ignore them and they will not remember tomorrow.

> I can also speak as one who has annoyed many a bar person myself

and

> have learned that the best thing to leave at home if you are going

> out for the night is the possibility of feeling any guilt over it

> the following day. You are wasting the night if you allow that one

> to creep up on you. (so yes, I am one of the ones that you want to

> put the camera on)

> Mary

>

> , " Lynda " <lurine@s...> wrote:

> > One year I got tired up putting up with corporate types (worked

as

> a

> > paralegal and admin. asst.), so I decided to cocktail. The money

> was good

> > but I would find myself stopping and watching in wonder some of

> the antics

> > of the drunks or those " high " on other things. I always thought

> that if I

> > had a video camera to record it for posteriety they would have

> surely given

> > up their poison of choice if they had seen themselves!

> >

> > Lynda

> > -

> > nikki_mackovitch <nikkimack@m...>

> >

> > Monday, June 20, 2005 1:13 PM

> > Re: new heights in journalistic

excellence...

> >

> >

> > > Hi Jo

> > >

> > > Sounds interesting to say the least! To me, tis much more

> > > interesting to be straight in a room of " loons " , than a loon in

a

> > > straight room! :)

> > >

> > > I always find it fun to just watch others. Humans can be such

> > > interesting creatures.

> > >

> > > Tho I am sure after a few beers I may be quite interesting

> myself.

> > >

> > > BB

> > > Nikki

> > >

> > >

> > > , " Jo Cwazy " <heartwork@c...>

> wrote:

> > > > Oh Nikki - I'm so glad someone else agrees.

> > > >

> > > > Last party I was at where the fairy cakes were rife the

> > > conversation was

> > > > about condoms flying around - either the moon or the room -

> > > couldn't make

> > > > out what exactly.

> > > >

> > > > Jo

> > > > -

> > > > " nikki_mackovitch " <nikkimack@m...>

> > > >

> > > > Monday, June 20, 2005 1:29 PM

> > > > Re: new heights in journalistic

> excellence...

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > > I agree Jo. There are many other ways to access other

> > > > > worlds/dimensions/planes.

> > > > >

> > > > > I think drugs just " enhance " your mind levels. Not

> necessarily

> > > for

> > > > > the good.

> > > > >

> > > > > BB

> > > > > Nikki :)

> > > > >

> > > > > , " Jo Cwazy "

> <heartwork@c...>

> > > wrote:

> > > > > > only if you can't access it normally. Actually I don't

> agree

> > > > > anyway. I don't think drugs lead you anywhere apart from

> into

> > > your

> > > > > own mind.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Jo

> > > > > > -

> > > > > > fraggle

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Sunday, June 19, 2005 6:06 PM

> > > > > > Re: Re: new heights in

journalistic

> > > > > excellence...

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > i'm sure a lot of things do because humans have always

> linked

> > > > > the supernatural and the mystic, and *drugs* are the

gateway

> to

> > > that

> > > > > world

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Jo Cwazy

> > > > > > Jun 19, 2005 3:05 AM

> > > > > >

journalistic

> > > > > excellence...

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Why does everything have to be connected to drugs?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Jo

> > > > > > -

> > > > > > fraggle

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Sunday, June 19, 2005 1:41 AM

> journalistic

> > > > > excellence...

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > there is some sort if lnk between the red and white

fly

> > > agaric

> > > > > mushroom, and santa

> > > > > > the only fly in the ointment is that the familiar red

> and

> > > > > white costume fer santa is a twentieth century creation

> > > > > > tho, there is prolly a link somewhere, since reindeer

> ate

> > > the

> > > > > mushrooms, and thye have psyochoactive properties..the

> reindeer

> > > did

> > > > > have to fly somehow..

> > > > > > also, certain russian, lapland, and siberian shamans

> used

> > > the

> > > > > mushrooms, and would dry them over the fireplaces(stockings)

> > > > > > etc and so forth

> > > > > >

> > > > > > as for coke...basically coca cola was the first to

> really

> > > mass

> > > > > market the *modern* image we have of saint nick..so they did

> > > > > popularize his current image

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > peter hurd

> > > > > > Jun 18, 2005 7:45 AM

> > > > > >

> journalistic

> > > > > excellence...

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I heard that the origins of this strange figure have

> > > something

> > > > > to do with the fly agaric mushroom.......you and Frag know

> > > > > everything, fill in the blanks from my ailing memory.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The Valley Vegan........

> > > > > >

> > > > > > metalscarab@c... wrote:

> > > > > > hi Mary

> > > > > >

> > > > > > > I totally forgot that Coco Cola practically

> invented

> > > Santa

> > > > > as we know

> > > > > > > him.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Actually, this is a complete misnoma... the " santa "

> we

> > > know

> > > > > first appeared

> > > > > > in a Danish wood-cut in the early 19th century, and

> > > became

> > > > > popularised by

> > > > > > " 'twas the night before Christmas " , which, IIRC is

> from

> > > the

> > > > > 19th century.

> > > > > > The confusion around Coca Cola arose because they

> tried

> > > > > (unsuccessfully)

> > > > > > to copyright the image in the 1940s.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > BB

> > > > > > Peter

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > To send an email to -

> > > > >

> > > > > >

Guest guest

ROFL!!! Me too!

Nikki :)

, " heartwerk " <heartwork@c...>

wrote:

> Phew! When I read your first sentence I thought you had been in

> prison in both states!

>

> , " Mary Minihane " <minih@g...>

wrote:

> > I spent many years behind bars both here and in Florida and can

> tell

> > you that idiots and obnoxious people come in both forms (drunk

and

> > sober). The advantage of dealing with the drunk ones is that you

> can

> > be rude or ignore them and they will not remember tomorrow.

> > I can also speak as one who has annoyed many a bar person myself

> and

> > have learned that the best thing to leave at home if you are

going

> > out for the night is the possibility of feeling any guilt over

it

> > the following day. You are wasting the night if you allow that

one

> > to creep up on you. (so yes, I am one of the ones that you want

to

> > put the camera on)

> > Mary

> >

> > , " Lynda " <lurine@s...> wrote:

> > > One year I got tired up putting up with corporate types

(worked

> as

> > a

> > > paralegal and admin. asst.), so I decided to cocktail. The

money

> > was good

> > > but I would find myself stopping and watching in wonder some

of

> > the antics

> > > of the drunks or those " high " on other things. I always

thought

> > that if I

> > > had a video camera to record it for posteriety they would have

> > surely given

> > > up their poison of choice if they had seen themselves!

> > >

> > > Lynda

> > > -

> > > nikki_mackovitch <nikkimack@m...>

> > >

> > > Monday, June 20, 2005 1:13 PM

> > > Re: new heights in journalistic

> excellence...

> > >

> > >

> > > > Hi Jo

> > > >

> > > > Sounds interesting to say the least! To me, tis much more

> > > > interesting to be straight in a room of " loons " , than a loon

in

> a

> > > > straight room! :)

> > > >

> > > > I always find it fun to just watch others. Humans can be such

> > > > interesting creatures.

> > > >

> > > > Tho I am sure after a few beers I may be quite interesting

> > myself.

> > > >

> > > > BB

> > > > Nikki

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > , " Jo Cwazy "

<heartwork@c...>

> > wrote:

> > > > > Oh Nikki - I'm so glad someone else agrees.

> > > > >

> > > > > Last party I was at where the fairy cakes were rife the

> > > > conversation was

> > > > > about condoms flying around - either the moon or the room -

> > > > couldn't make

> > > > > out what exactly.

> > > > >

> > > > > Jo

> > > > > -

> > > > > " nikki_mackovitch " <nikkimack@m...>

> > > > >

> > > > > Monday, June 20, 2005 1:29 PM

> > > > > Re: new heights in journalistic

> > excellence...

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > > I agree Jo. There are many other ways to access other

> > > > > > worlds/dimensions/planes.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I think drugs just " enhance " your mind levels. Not

> > necessarily

> > > > for

> > > > > > the good.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > BB

> > > > > > Nikki :)

> > > > > >

> > > > > > , " Jo Cwazy "

> > <heartwork@c...>

> > > > wrote:

> > > > > > > only if you can't access it normally. Actually I

don't

> > agree

> > > > > > anyway. I don't think drugs lead you anywhere apart

from

> > into

> > > > your

> > > > > > own mind.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Jo

> > > > > > > -

> > > > > > > fraggle

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Sunday, June 19, 2005 6:06 PM

> > > > > > > Re: Re: new heights in

> journalistic

> > > > > > excellence...

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > i'm sure a lot of things do because humans have

always

> > linked

> > > > > > the supernatural and the mystic, and *drugs* are the

> gateway

> > to

> > > > that

> > > > > > world

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Jo Cwazy

> > > > > > > Jun 19, 2005 3:05 AM

> > > > > > >

> journalistic

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Why does everything have to be connected to drugs?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Jo

> > > > > > > -

> > > > > > > fraggle

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Sunday, June 19, 2005 1:41 AM

> > journalistic

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > there is some sort if lnk between the red and

white

> fly

> > > > agaric

> > > > > > mushroom, and santa

> > > > > > > the only fly in the ointment is that the familiar

red

> > and

> > > > > > white costume fer santa is a twentieth century creation

> > > > > > > tho, there is prolly a link somewhere, since

reindeer

> > ate

> > > > the

> > > > > > mushrooms, and thye have psyochoactive properties..the

> > reindeer

> > > > did

> > > > > > have to fly somehow..

> > > > > > > also, certain russian, lapland, and siberian

shamans

> > used

> > > > the

> > > > > > mushrooms, and would dry them over the fireplaces

(stockings)

> > > > > > > etc and so forth

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > as for coke...basically coca cola was the first to

> > really

> > > > mass

> > > > > > market the *modern* image we have of saint nick..so they

did

> > > > > > popularize his current image

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > peter hurd

> > > > > > > Jun 18, 2005 7:45 AM

> > > > > > >

> > journalistic

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I heard that the origins of this strange figure

have

> > > > something

> > > > > > to do with the fly agaric mushroom.......you and Frag

know

> > > > > > everything, fill in the blanks from my ailing memory.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > The Valley Vegan........

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > metalscarab@c... wrote:

> > > > > > > hi Mary

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > I totally forgot that Coco Cola practically

> > invented

> > > > Santa

> > > > > > as we know

> > > > > > > > him.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Actually, this is a complete misnoma...

the " santa "

> > we

> > > > know

> > > > > > first appeared

> > > > > > > in a Danish wood-cut in the early 19th century,

and

> > > > became

> > > > > > popularised by

> > > > > > > " 'twas the night before Christmas " , which, IIRC

is

> > from

> > > > the

> > > > > > 19th century.

> > > > > > > The confusion around Coca Cola arose because

they

> > tried

> > > > > > (unsuccessfully)

> > > > > > > to copyright the image in the 1940s.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > BB

> > > > > > > Peter

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > To send an email to -

> > > > > >

> > > > > > >

Guest guest

I know nothin`, go ask a Shaman!

Dont do drugs kids, they aint big , and they aint clever.

The Valley Vegan.........Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Jo

-

fraggle

there is some sort if lnk between the red and white fly agaric mushroom, and santa

the only fly in the ointment is that the familiar red and white costume fer santa is a twentieth century creation

tho, there is prolly a link somewhere, since reindeer ate the mushrooms, and thye have psyochoactive properties..the reindeer did have to fly somehow..

also, certain russian, lapland, and siberian shamans used the mushrooms, and would dry them over the fireplaces(stockings)

etc and so forth

as for coke...basically coca cola was the first to really mass market the *modern* image we have of saint nick..so they did popularize his current image peter hurd Jun 18, 2005 7:45 AM Re: Re: new heights in journalistic excellence...

I heard that the origins of this strange figure have something to do with the fly agaric mushroom.......you and Frag know everything, fill in the blanks from my ailing memory.

hi Mary> I totally forgot that Coco Cola practically invented Santa as we know> him.Actually, this is a complete misnoma... the "santa" we know first appearedin a Danish wood-cut in the early 19th century, and became popularised by"'twas the night before Christmas", which, IIRC is from the 19th century.The confusion around Coca Cola arose because they tried (unsuccessfully)to copyright the image in the 1940s.BBPeterTo send an email to -

Guest guest

I have :-)

Jo

-

peter hurd

Tuesday, June 21, 2005 5:48 PM

I know nothin`, go ask a Shaman!

Dont do drugs kids, they aint big , and they aint clever.

The Valley Vegan.........Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Jo

-

fraggle

etc and so forth