suggestions!

Thanks,

Krysten

, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

>

> Hi Krysten,

> And welcome.

> On the ice cream front there are vegan ice creams out there, and

depending on where you live, I am sure we could recommend one to you.

As for your chocolate bars, well there are some vegan chocolates out

there also.

> As for vegan  " cheese " , well I dont eat them myself , as I never used

to eat cheese before I turned vegie/vegan.

> Let us know what part of the world yu live in, and we will try and

advise on altenatives.

>  

> Peter vv

Guest guest

Hi Krysten - I'm new here also, and also adjusting from a vegetarian to vegan diet for health reasons.

You didn't say what kinds of foods you don't like, but if you don't already include a variety of vegetables, whole grains, & legumes in your diet, you really should try to explore these foods. I really believe that many people don't like certain vegetables because they haven't had them prepared properly. Try using fresh veggies, and playing around with different preparation methods, especially roasting or grilling. Pick one or two new foods a month, and see if you can't come up with some way to enjoy them. To me, a canned beet is the most digusting food bar none, but a salad of roasted beet and orange segments is divine.

Which brings me to another point: Although convenience foods can be great for an occasional quick meal, many of them are far from healthful. Even though you don't like to cook, you may have to spend a little more time in the kitchen. There are tons of quick, healthful recipes out there using basic techniques that produce high quality tasty food. You could even cook in batches, and freeze leftovers for future meals. I like www.fatfreevegan.com a lot, and I'm sure everyone here can recommend a ton of resources.

Good luck!--- On Mon, 8/4/08, Krysten <kmv46n2 wrote:

Krysten <kmv46n2 New member intro Date: Monday, August 4, 2008, 6:27 PM

Hi everyone.. I've been a vegetarian for about 12 years. I never really wanted to eat meat growing up, but that's what was put on the table and what everyone else around me ate so I did too. I'd really love to go vegan but think it will be extremely difficult. I'm a very picky eater so it's hard enough to find foods I like as it is - and it's hard to find a vegetarian meal at a restaurant, let alone a vegan one. I'm not good at cooking, so all the vegetarian/vegan cookbooks out there are pretty useless to me (plus since I'm so picky I usually don't like a lot of the ingredients in the recipes). I'm a big fan of quick and easy convenience food - I've been known to eat cheese bagel bites or broccoli and cheese Hot Pockets or any other microwavable vegetarian meal for lunch and dinner - but if I decide to go vegan that will probably have to change.I drink soymilk instead of cow's milk but

still eat ice cream and milk chocolate (it's hard to forsee a day when as a vegan I can no longer eat KitKat or Caramello bars); I eat a lot of cheese (pizza, mac n cheese, cheese ravioli, grilled cheese sandwiches, nachos...) and the last time I tried vegan cheese it was disgusting.I just found out that gelatin is made from pig skin, so I had to switch from my beloved Yoplait yogurt over to soy yogurt, and now I'll have to keep a careful watch on ingredient labels and go to special stores to buy vegan marshmallows and gummy snacks... what a pain in the @$$!To make things worse, I am the only vegetarian I know - all of my friends and family eat meat regularly. My husband is a big meat eater which is something I'm not very fond of but we deal with it.. it's difficult sometimes to make meals together as everything has to be separate. Sometimes I find it completely exhausting to be a

vegetarian when it seems like the rest of the world isn't, so I'm glad to be a part of this group.Krysten

Guest guest

well said Jo

and, Krysten welcome to the group

i'm only a couple hundred e-mails behind.....

heartwerk Aug 4, 2008 11:40 PM Re: New member intro

Hi KrystenWelcome to Vegan Chat - I hope you enjoy it here.If you are to be a vegan (if you've made that decision) then you will no longer eat cheese or have milk chocolate or normal ice cream. I hope you don't find it too difficult as it a worthwhile thing to do - good for your health (dairy is worse for your health than meat!), good for the animals, and good for Earth.I think I would find it impossible to be vegan if I didn't cook, but then I guess it would also be difficult to be anything not cooking! Cooking doesn't need to be difficult or a long process, so if you need any advice I'm sure people here will be willing to help.Personally speaking, I think I am a very picky eater. I like my food to be healthy and tasty, and the only way I can get that is to cook it myself (the same would apply if I was a meat eater). That doesn't mean I don't have treats, as I do - vegan ice cream, chocolate and sometimes other sweets. Puddings and cakes are very easy to make if you like to eat them. Some people miss cheese for quite a while, but eventually get used to not having it. We have found that the Vegan Parmesano powder is good to shake over something like vegetable pasta bake or leek pancakes in white sauce to make them cheesy.Jo , "Krysten" <kmv46n2 wrote:>> Hi everyone.. I've been a vegetarian for about 12 years. I never > really wanted to eat meat growing up, but that's what was put on the > table and what everyone else around me ate so I did too. > > I'd really love to go vegan but think it will be extremely > difficult. I'm a very picky eater so it's hard enough to find foods > I like as it is - and it's hard to find a vegetarian meal at a > restaurant, let alone a vegan one. I'm not good at cooking, so all > the vegetarian/vegan cookbooks out there are pretty useless to me > (plus since I'm so picky I usually don't like a lot of the > ingredients in the recipes). I'm a big fan of quick and easy > convenience food - I've been known to eat cheese bagel bites or > broccoli and cheese Hot Pockets or any other microwavable vegetarian > meal for lunch and dinner - but if I decide to go vegan that will > probably have to change.> > I drink soymilk instead of cow's milk but still eat ice cream and > milk chocolate (it's hard to forsee a day when as a vegan I can no > longer eat KitKat or Caramello bars); I eat a lot of cheese (pizza, > mac n cheese, cheese ravioli, grilled cheese sandwiches, nachos...) > and the last time I tried vegan cheese it was disgusting.> > I just found out that gelatin is made from pig skin, so I had to > switch from my beloved Yoplait yogurt over to soy yogurt, and now > I'll have to keep a careful watch on ingredient labels and go to > special stores to buy vegan marshmallows and gummy snacks... what a > pain in the @$$!> > To make things worse, I am the only vegetarian I know - all of my > friends and family eat meat regularly. My husband is a big meat > eater which is something I'm not very fond of but we deal with it.. > it's difficult sometimes to make meals together as everything has to > be separate. Sometimes I find it completely exhausting to be a > vegetarian when it seems like the rest of the world isn't, so I'm > glad to be a part of this group.> > Krysten>

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Guest guest

hello again krysten

well, let me just say, you are actually in a much better locale then a lot of others.

San diego county has come a LONG way in vegan/vegetarian option.

i lived down there fer 8 months back in the late 90's, and the amount it has changed is just amazing.

we have another member on her, Blake, who pops in once in awhile, from down your neck of the woods, so maybe he'll wander past and give you some great options/locations down in soCal.

there are a ton of vegan ice creams, wholefoods generally carries half a dozen brands it seems, soy delicious, soycream, rice dream, etc

cheers

fraggle

Krysten Aug 5, 2008 12:17 AM Re: New member intro

I live in El Cajon, which is near San Diego. Some of the "healthy" grocery stores we have here are Whole Foods Market, Trader Joe's, Henry's Marketplace and Sprouts. I've seen Silk brand soy ice cream in the stores and planned on trying that brand since I like Silk soy milk and Silk soy yogurt. I would appreciate any other good brand suggestions!Thanks,Krysten , Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:>> Hi Krysten,> And welcome.> On the ice cream front there are vegan ice creams out there, and depending on where you live, I am sure we could recommend one to you. As for your chocolate bars, well there are some vegan chocolates out there also.> As for vegan "cheese", well I dont eat them myself , as I never used to eat cheese before I turned vegie/vegan.> Let us know what part of the world yu live in, and we will try and advise on altenatives.>  > Peter vv

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Guest guest

Hi Peter

Did you have a good holiday? and did you get to touch the stones?

Jo

, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

>

> Hi Krysten,

> And welcome.

> On the ice cream front there are vegan ice creams out there, and

depending on where you live, I am sure we could recommend one to you.

As for your chocolate bars, well there are some vegan chocolates out

there also.

> As for vegan  " cheese " , well I dont eat them myself , as I never

used to eat cheese before I turned vegie/vegan.

> Let us know what part of the world yu live in, and we will try and

advise on altenatives.

>  

> Peter vv

>

>

>

>

> Krysten <kmv46n2

>

> Monday, 4 August, 2008 11:27:04 PM

> New member intro

>

>

> Hi everyone.. I've been a vegetarian for about 12 years. I never

> really wanted to eat meat growing up, but that's what was put on

the

> table and what everyone else around me ate so I did too.

>

> I'd really love to go vegan but think it will be extremely

> difficult. I'm a very picky eater so it's hard enough to find foods

> I like as it is - and it's hard to find a vegetarian meal at a

> restaurant, let alone a vegan one. I'm not good at cooking, so all

> the vegetarian/vegan cookbooks out there are pretty useless to me

> (plus since I'm so picky I usually don't like a lot of the

> ingredients in the recipes). I'm a big fan of quick and easy

> convenience food - I've been known to eat cheese bagel bites or

> broccoli and cheese Hot Pockets or any other microwavable

vegetarian

> meal for lunch and dinner - but if I decide to go vegan that will

> probably have to change.

>

> I drink soymilk instead of cow's milk but still eat ice cream and

> milk chocolate (it's hard to forsee a day when as a vegan I can no

> longer eat KitKat or Caramello bars); I eat a lot of cheese (pizza,

> mac n cheese, cheese ravioli, grilled cheese sandwiches, nachos...)

> and the last time I tried vegan cheese it was disgusting.

>

> I just found out that gelatin is made from pig skin, so I had to

> switch from my beloved Yoplait yogurt over to soy yogurt, and now

> I'll have to keep a careful watch on ingredient labels and go to

> special stores to buy vegan marshmallows and gummy snacks... what a

> pain in the @$$!

>

> To make things worse, I am the only vegetarian I know - all of my

> friends and family eat meat regularly. My husband is a big meat

> eater which is something I'm not very fond of but we deal with it..

> it's difficult sometimes to make meals together as everything has

to

> be separate. Sometimes I find it completely exhausting to be a

> vegetarian when it seems like the rest of the world isn't, so I'm

> glad to be a part of this group.

>

> Krysten

>

>

>

>

> ________

> Not happy with your email address?.

> Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses

available now at http://uk.docs./ymail/new.html

>

Guest guest

Hi Jo,

Yep got to touch the stones, as it was a nice day I wanted to spend some time in the cove - just sit and think a while, but my wife and one daughter wandered off, so I barely had time to walk all the way round, shame.

Wierd to find a cafe that had nothing for my carnie wife and lots of choice for me!

Peter vv

heartwerk <jo.heartwork Sent: Wednesday, 6 August, 2008 7:54:25 AM Re: New member intro

Hi PeterDid you have a good holiday? and did you get to touch the stones?Jo@gro ups.com, Peter VV <swpgh01 > wrote:>> Hi Krysten,> And welcome.> On the ice cream front there are vegan ice creams out there, and depending on where you live, I am sure we could recommend one to you. As for your chocolate bars, well there are some vegan chocolates out there also.> As for vegan "cheese" , well I dont eat them myself , as I never used to eat cheese before I turned vegie/vegan.> Let us know what part of the world yu live in, and we will try and advise on altenatives.>  > Peter vv> > > > > Krysten <kmv46n2

>> @gro ups.com> Monday, 4 August, 2008 11:27:04 PM> New member intro> > > Hi everyone.. I've been a vegetarian for about 12 years. I never > really wanted to eat meat growing up, but that's what was put on the > table and what everyone else around me ate so I did too. > > I'd really love to go vegan but think it will be extremely > difficult. I'm a very picky eater so it's hard enough to find foods > I like as it is - and it's hard to find a vegetarian meal at a > restaurant, let alone a vegan one. I'm not good at cooking, so all > the vegetarian/vegan cookbooks out there are pretty useless to me > (plus since I'm so picky I usually don't like a lot of the >

ingredients in the recipes). I'm a big fan of quick and easy > convenience food - I've been known to eat cheese bagel bites or > broccoli and cheese Hot Pockets or any other microwavable vegetarian > meal for lunch and dinner - but if I decide to go vegan that will > probably have to change.> > I drink soymilk instead of cow's milk but still eat ice cream and > milk chocolate (it's hard to forsee a day when as a vegan I can no > longer eat KitKat or Caramello bars); I eat a lot of cheese (pizza, > mac n cheese, cheese ravioli, grilled cheese sandwiches, nachos...) > and the last time I tried vegan cheese it was disgusting.> > I just found out that gelatin is made from pig skin, so I had to > switch from my beloved Yoplait yogurt over to soy yogurt, and now > I'll have to keep a careful watch on ingredient labels and go to > special stores to buy

vegan marshmallows and gummy snacks... what a > pain in the @$$!> > To make things worse, I am the only vegetarian I know - all of my > friends and family eat meat regularly. My husband is a big meat > eater which is something I'm not very fond of but we deal with it.. > it's difficult sometimes to make meals together as everything has to > be separate. Sometimes I find it completely exhausting to be a > vegetarian when it seems like the rest of the world isn't, so I'm > glad to be a part of this group.> > Krysten> > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> Not happy with your email address?.> Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at http://uk.docs. / ymail/new.

html>

Not happy with your email address?

Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

Guest guest

I`m afraid I am the wrong side of the water to give you advice on whats available over there. Fraggle? earthlink calling Fraggle? come in Fraggle.......

Peter vv

Krysten <kmv46n2 Sent: Tuesday, 5 August, 2008 8:17:05 AM Re: New member intro

I live in El Cajon, which is near San Diego. Some of the "healthy" grocery stores we have here are Whole Foods Market, Trader Joe's, Henry's Marketplace and Sprouts. I've seen Silk brand soy ice cream in the stores and planned on trying that brand since I like Silk soy milk and Silk soy yogurt. I would appreciate any other good brand suggestions!Thanks,Krysten@gro ups.com, Peter VV <swpgh01 > wrote:>> Hi Krysten,> And welcome.> On the ice cream front there are vegan ice creams out there, and depending on where you live, I am sure we could recommend one to you. As for your chocolate bars, well there are some vegan chocolates out there also.> As for vegan "cheese" , well I dont eat them myself , as I never

used to eat cheese before I turned vegie/vegan.> Let us know what part of the world yu live in, and we will try and advise on altenatives.>  > Peter vv

Guest guest

Well, at least you got there. Did your wife not like anything there? What did you eat :-)

Jo

-

Peter VV

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 12:45 PM

Re: Re: New member intro

Hi Jo,

Yep got to touch the stones, as it was a nice day I wanted to spend some time in the cove - just sit and think a while, but my wife and one daughter wandered off, so I barely had time to walk all the way round, shame.

Wierd to find a cafe that had nothing for my carnie wife and lots of choice for me!

Peter vv

heartwerk <jo.heartwork > Sent: Wednesday, 6 August, 2008 7:54:25 AM Re: New member intro

Hi PeterDid you have a good holiday? and did you get to touch the stones?Jo@gro ups.com, Peter VV <swpgh01 > wrote:>> Hi Krysten,> And welcome.> On the ice cream front there are vegan ice creams out there, and depending on where you live, I am sure we could recommend one to you. As for your chocolate bars, well there are some vegan chocolates out there also.> As for vegan "cheese" , well I dont eat them myself , as I never used to eat cheese before I turned vegie/vegan.> Let us know what part of the world yu live in, and we will try and advise on altenatives.>  > Peter vv> > > > > Krysten <kmv46n2 >> @gro ups.com> Monday, 4 August, 2008 11:27:04 PM> New member intro> > > Hi everyone.. I've been a vegetarian for about 12 years. I never > really wanted to eat meat growing up, but that's what was put on the > table and what everyone else around me ate so I did too. > > I'd really love to go vegan but think it will be extremely > difficult. I'm a very picky eater so it's hard enough to find foods > I like as it is - and it's hard to find a vegetarian meal at a > restaurant, let alone a vegan one. I'm not good at cooking, so all > the vegetarian/vegan cookbooks out there are pretty useless to me > (plus since I'm so picky I usually don't like a lot of the > ingredients in the recipes). I'm a big fan of quick and easy > convenience food - I've been known to eat cheese bagel bites or > broccoli and cheese Hot Pockets or any other microwavable vegetarian > meal for lunch and dinner - but if I decide to go vegan that will > probably have to change.> > I drink soymilk instead of cow's milk but still eat ice cream and > milk chocolate (it's hard to forsee a day when as a vegan I can no > longer eat KitKat or Caramello bars); I eat a lot of cheese (pizza, > mac n cheese, cheese ravioli, grilled cheese sandwiches, nachos...) > and the last time I tried vegan cheese it was disgusting.> > I just found out that gelatin is made from pig skin, so I had to > switch from my beloved Yoplait yogurt over to soy yogurt, and now > I'll have to keep a careful watch on ingredient labels and go to > special stores to buy vegan marshmallows and gummy snacks... what a > pain in the @$$!> > To make things worse, I am the only vegetarian I know - all of my > friends and family eat meat regularly. My husband is a big meat > eater which is something I'm not very fond of but we deal with it.. > it's difficult sometimes to make meals together as everything has to > be separate. Sometimes I find it completely exhausting to be a > vegetarian when it seems like the rest of the world isn't, so I'm > glad to be a part of this group.> > Krysten> > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> Not happy with your email address?.> Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at http://uk.docs. / ymail/new. html>

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

Guest guest

I had a cous-cous parcel in pastry and some pretty sad steamed veg. My wife had a carrot & hummous sandwich............everyone likes hummous!

Peter vv

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Wednesday, 6 August, 2008 7:04:25 PMRe: Re: New member intro

Well, at least you got there. Did your wife not like anything there? What did you eat :-)

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Hi Jo,

Peter vv

heartwerk <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comWednesday, 6 August, 2008 7:54:25 AM Re: New member intro

Hi PeterDid you have a good holiday? and did you get to touch the stones?Jo@gro ups.com, Peter VV <swpgh01 > wrote:>> Hi Krysten,> And welcome.> On the ice cream front there are vegan ice creams out there, and depending on where you live, I am sure we could recommend one to you. As for your chocolate bars, well there are some vegan chocolates out there also.> As for vegan "cheese" , well I dont eat them myself , as I never used to eat cheese before I turned vegie/vegan.> Let us know what part of the world yu live in, and we will try and advise on altenatives.>  > Peter vv> > > > > Krysten <kmv46n2

>> @gro ups.com> Monday, 4 August, 2008 11:27:04 PM> New member intro> > > Hi everyone.. I've been a vegetarian for about 12 years. I never > really wanted to eat meat growing up, but that's what was put on the > table and what everyone else around me ate so I did too. > > I'd really love to go vegan but think it will be extremely > difficult. I'm a very picky eater so it's hard enough to find foods > I like as it is - and it's hard to find a vegetarian meal at a > restaurant, let alone a vegan one. I'm not good at cooking, so all > the vegetarian/vegan cookbooks out there are pretty useless to me > (plus since I'm so picky I usually don't like a lot of the >

ingredients in the recipes). I'm a big fan of quick and easy > convenience food - I've been known to eat cheese bagel bites or > broccoli and cheese Hot Pockets or any other microwavable vegetarian > meal for lunch and dinner - but if I decide to go vegan that will > probably have to change.> > I drink soymilk instead of cow's milk but still eat ice cream and > milk chocolate (it's hard to forsee a day when as a vegan I can no > longer eat KitKat or Caramello bars); I eat a lot of cheese (pizza, > mac n cheese, cheese ravioli, grilled cheese sandwiches, nachos...) > and the last time I tried vegan cheese it was disgusting.> > I just found out that gelatin is made from pig skin, so I had to > switch from my beloved Yoplait yogurt over to soy yogurt, and now > I'll have to keep a careful watch on ingredient labels and go to > special stores to buy

vegan marshmallows and gummy snacks... what a > pain in the @$$!> > To make things worse, I am the only vegetarian I know - all of my > friends and family eat meat regularly. My husband is a big meat > eater which is something I'm not very fond of but we deal with it.. > it's difficult sometimes to make meals together as everything has to > be separate. Sometimes I find it completely exhausting to be a > vegetarian when it seems like the rest of the world isn't, so I'm > glad to be a part of this group.> > Krysten> > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> Not happy with your email address?.> Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at http://uk.docs. / ymail/new.

html>

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

Guest guest

The parcel sounds nice. I agree about their veggies there though - could definitely be better. Mmmmmm - hummous.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 10:01 PM

I had a cous-cous parcel in pastry and some pretty sad steamed veg. My wife had a carrot & hummous sandwich............everyone likes hummous!

Peter vv

jo <jo.heartwork > Sent: Wednesday, 6 August, 2008 7:04:25 PMRe: Re: New member intro

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Hi Jo,

Peter vv

heartwerk <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comWednesday, 6 August, 2008 7:54:25 AM Re: New member intro

Hi PeterDid you have a good holiday? and did you get to touch the stones?Jo@gro ups.com, Peter VV <swpgh01 > wrote:>> Hi Krysten,> And welcome.> On the ice cream front there are vegan ice creams out there, and depending on where you live, I am sure we could recommend one to you. As for your chocolate bars, well there are some vegan chocolates out there also.> As for vegan "cheese" , well I dont eat them myself , as I never used to eat cheese before I turned vegie/vegan.> Let us know what part of the world yu live in, and we will try and advise on altenatives.>  > Peter vv> > > > > Krysten <kmv46n2 >> @gro ups.com> Monday, 4 August, 2008 11:27:04 PM> New member intro> > > Hi everyone.. I've been a vegetarian for about 12 years. I never > really wanted to eat meat growing up, but that's what was put on the > table and what everyone else around me ate so I did too. > > I'd really love to go vegan but think it will be extremely > difficult. I'm a very picky eater so it's hard enough to find foods > I like as it is - and it's hard to find a vegetarian meal at a > restaurant, let alone a vegan one. I'm not good at cooking, so all > the vegetarian/vegan cookbooks out there are pretty useless to me > (plus since I'm so picky I usually don't like a lot of the > ingredients in the recipes). I'm a big fan of quick and easy > convenience food - I've been known to eat cheese bagel bites or > broccoli and cheese Hot Pockets or any other microwavable vegetarian > meal for lunch and dinner - but if I decide to go vegan that will > probably have to change.> > I drink soymilk instead of cow's milk but still eat ice cream and > milk chocolate (it's hard to forsee a day when as a vegan I can no > longer eat KitKat or Caramello bars); I eat a lot of cheese (pizza, > mac n cheese, cheese ravioli, grilled cheese sandwiches, nachos...) > and the last time I tried vegan cheese it was disgusting.> > I just found out that gelatin is made from pig skin, so I had to > switch from my beloved Yoplait yogurt over to soy yogurt, and now > I'll have to keep a careful watch on ingredient labels and go to > special stores to buy vegan marshmallows and gummy snacks... what a > pain in the @$$!> > To make things worse, I am the only vegetarian I know - all of my > friends and family eat meat regularly. My husband is a big meat > eater which is something I'm not very fond of but we deal with it.. > it's difficult sometimes to make meals together as everything has to > be separate. Sometimes I find it completely exhausting to be a > vegetarian when it seems like the rest of the world isn't, so I'm > glad to be a part of this group.> > Krysten> > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> Not happy with your email address?.> Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at http://uk.docs. / ymail/new. html>

Guest guest

ok...enlighten...

a parcel over here is a piece of land, or a package (as in parcel post)....

is a cous cous parcel some sort of wrap or pastry then?

jo Aug 6, 2008 2:38 PM Re: Re: New member intro

The parcel sounds nice. I agree about their veggies there though - could definitely be better. Mmmmmm - hummous.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 10:01 PM

Peter vv

jo <jo.heartwork > Sent: Wednesday, 6 August, 2008 7:04:25 PMRe: Re: New member intro

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Hi Jo,

Peter vv

Guest guest

That's right Fraggle - the cous cous would be wrapped in pastry or a

tortilla, to make a package/parcel.

Jo

Guest guest

Hi Nancy,

Nice to have you with us.  You will have plenty of support and recipes to keep

you on the veg path.  Have you looked into the recipe files yet?

Donna

I'm the nightwatchman

I am security. I'm the nightwatchman

How safe do you want to be?

I sit around at night, listen to the radio

If I get bored I may have a little smoke

SOURCE: Nightwatchman - Tom Petty

--- On Mon, 9/1/08, Nancy Miller <nm1959 wrote:

Nancy Miller <nm1959

New member intro

Monday, September 1, 2008, 7:46 AM

I just joined this group. It's been awhile since was a member of a recipe

group. I'm trying to eat healthier and being raised a vegetarian I know this

is a better plan for me. So I'm trying to bet back to eating that way. I

live in Michigan, am married and our son is away at college. I work full

time and also take a college class each semester. I'm working on finishing

my bachelor's degree.

Nancy

Guest guest

I would like to try this recipe, but do you have to use dried apricots, what

else can I use in place of it.

--- On Fri, 12/26/08, .::I Am Absent Minded::. <amabsentminded wrote:

.::I Am Absent Minded::. <amabsentminded

New member intro

Friday, December 26, 2008, 6:28 PM

I have just joined your group...and I thank you for having me. I

look

forward to many vegetarian recipes and discussion. I am not currently a

vegetarian, but have made a resolution to myself to begin January 1, 2009.

My husband and youngest daughter have been vegetarians for about 16 years

now, but my other two and I have continued to eat meat. I'm hopeful this

will be a resolution I actually keep longer than February (my usual use-by

date on resolutions) .

I am enclosing a recipe for a biscotti that I made for the holidays...very

yum. It is from the Mayo Clinic online.

Recipe: Almond and apricot biscotti

Dietitian's tip: This twice-baked cookie is a classic with coffee or tea.

The whole-wheat and nuts are good sources of manganese (a mineral that helps

bone formation) and selenium (an antioxidant important for thyroid hormone

function).

MAKES 24 COOKIES

Ingredients

3/4 cup whole-wheat (whole-meal) flour

3/4 cup all-purpose (plain) flour

1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1/4 cup 1 percent low-fat milk

2 1/2 tablespoons canola oil

2 tablespoons dark honey

1/2 teaspoon almond extract

2/3 cup chopped dried apricots

1/4 cup coarsely chopped almonds

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 F.

In a large bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar and baking powder. Whisk to

blend. Add the eggs, milk, canola oil, honey and almond extract. Stir with a

wooden spoon until the dough just begins to come together. Add the chopped

apricots and almonds. With floured hands, mix until the dough is well

blended.

Place the dough on a long sheet of plastic wrap and shape by hand into a

flattened log 12 inches long, 3 inches wide and about 1 inch high. Lift the

plastic wrap to invert the dough onto a nonstick baking sheet. Bake until

lightly browned, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to another baking sheet to cool

for 10 minutes. Leave the oven set at 350 F.

Place the cooled log on a cutting board. With a serrated knife, cut

crosswise on the diagonal into 24 slices 1/2-inch wide. Arrange the slices,

cut side down, on the baking sheet. Return to the oven and bake until crisp,

15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely. Store in

an airtight container.

Nutritional Analysis

(per serving)

Serving size: 1 cookie

Calories 73 Cholesterol 18 mg

Protein 2 g Sodium 68 mg

Carbohydrate 12 g Fiber 1 g

Total fat 2 g Potassium 100 mg

Saturated fat 0 g Calcium 29 mg

Monounsaturated fat 1 g

Guest guest

Julie ...

After reading the recipe, you should be able to substitute whatever fruit you

would like. Cranberries, pineapple, cherries, blueberries ... whatever you like

.... you can even change the type of nuts you use.

myMagen

Julie Rodriguez <novemeberbabyboy1

Saturday, December 27, 2008 8:11:21 PM

Re: New member intro

I would like to try this recipe, but do you have to use dried apricots, what

else can I use in place of it.

--- On Fri, 12/26/08, .::I Am Absent Minded::. <amabsentminded@ gmail.com>

wrote:

.::I Am Absent Minded::. <amabsentminded@ gmail.com>

[vegetarian_ group] New member intro

Friday, December 26, 2008, 6:28 PM

I have just joined your group...and I thank you for having me. I look

forward to many vegetarian recipes and discussion. I am not currently a

vegetarian, but have made a resolution to myself to begin January 1, 2009.

My husband and youngest daughter have been vegetarians for about 16 years

now, but my other two and I have continued to eat meat. I'm hopeful this

will be a resolution I actually keep longer than February (my usual use-by

date on resolutions) .

I am enclosing a recipe for a biscotti that I made for the holidays...very

yum. It is from the Mayo Clinic online.

Recipe: Almond and apricot biscotti

Dietitian's tip: This twice-baked cookie is a classic with coffee or tea.

The whole-wheat and nuts are good sources of manganese (a mineral that helps

bone formation) and selenium (an antioxidant important for thyroid hormone

function).

MAKES 24 COOKIES

Ingredients

3/4 cup whole-wheat (whole-meal) flour

3/4 cup all-purpose (plain) flour

1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1/4 cup 1 percent low-fat milk

2 1/2 tablespoons canola oil

2 tablespoons dark honey

1/2 teaspoon almond extract

2/3 cup chopped dried apricots

1/4 cup coarsely chopped almonds

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 F.

In a large bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar and baking powder. Whisk to

blend. Add the eggs, milk, canola oil, honey and almond extract. Stir with a

wooden spoon until the dough just begins to come together. Add the chopped

apricots and almonds. With floured hands, mix until the dough is well

blended.

Place the dough on a long sheet of plastic wrap and shape by hand into a

flattened log 12 inches long, 3 inches wide and about 1 inch high. Lift the

plastic wrap to invert the dough onto a nonstick baking sheet. Bake until

lightly browned, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to another baking sheet to cool

for 10 minutes. Leave the oven set at 350 F.

Place the cooled log on a cutting board. With a serrated knife, cut

crosswise on the diagonal into 24 slices 1/2-inch wide. Arrange the slices,

cut side down, on the baking sheet. Return to the oven and bake until crisp,

15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely. Store in

an airtight container.

Nutritional Analysis

(per serving)

Serving size: 1 cookie

Calories 73 Cholesterol 18 mg

Protein 2 g Sodium 68 mg

Carbohydrate 12 g Fiber 1 g

Total fat 2 g Potassium 100 mg

Saturated fat 0 g Calcium 29 mg

Monounsaturated fat 1 g

Guest guest

Hi Julie,

I used dried apricots as the recipe says, but I imagine you could use any

dried fruit...even raisins, if you prefer. Actually come to think of it,

other dried fruits would be really good in these! :)

-

" Julie Rodriguez " <novemeberbabyboy1

Saturday, December 27, 2008 6:11 PM

Re: New member intro

>I would like to try this recipe, but do you have to use dried apricots,

>what else can I use in place of it.

>

> --- On Fri, 12/26/08, .::I Am Absent Minded::. <amabsentminded

> wrote:

> .::I Am Absent Minded::. <amabsentminded

> New member intro

>

> Friday, December 26, 2008, 6:28 PM

>

>

>

>

>

I have just joined your group...and I thank you for having me.

> I look

>

> forward to many vegetarian recipes and discussion. I am not currently a

>

> vegetarian, but have made a resolution to myself to begin January 1, 2009.

>

> My husband and youngest daughter have been vegetarians for about 16 years

>

> now, but my other two and I have continued to eat meat. I'm hopeful this

>

> will be a resolution I actually keep longer than February (my usual use-by

>

> date on resolutions) .

>

>

>

> I am enclosing a recipe for a biscotti that I made for the holidays...very

>

> yum. It is from the Mayo Clinic online.

>

>

>

> Recipe: Almond and apricot biscotti

>

> Dietitian's tip: This twice-baked cookie is a classic with coffee or tea.

>

> The whole-wheat and nuts are good sources of manganese (a mineral that

> helps

>

> bone formation) and selenium (an antioxidant important for thyroid hormone

>

> function).

>

>

>

> MAKES 24 COOKIES

>

> Ingredients

>

> 3/4 cup whole-wheat (whole-meal) flour

>

> 3/4 cup all-purpose (plain) flour

>

> 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar

>

> 1 teaspoon baking powder

>

> 2 eggs, lightly beaten

>

> 1/4 cup 1 percent low-fat milk

>

> 2 1/2 tablespoons canola oil

>

> 2 tablespoons dark honey

>

> 1/2 teaspoon almond extract

>

> 2/3 cup chopped dried apricots

>

> 1/4 cup coarsely chopped almonds

>

>

>

> Directions

>

> Preheat the oven to 350 F.

>

>

>

> In a large bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar and baking powder. Whisk

> to

>

> blend. Add the eggs, milk, canola oil, honey and almond extract. Stir with

> a

>

> wooden spoon until the dough just begins to come together. Add the chopped

>

> apricots and almonds. With floured hands, mix until the dough is well

>

> blended.

>

>

>

> Place the dough on a long sheet of plastic wrap and shape by hand into a

>

> flattened log 12 inches long, 3 inches wide and about 1 inch high. Lift

> the

>

> plastic wrap to invert the dough onto a nonstick baking sheet. Bake until

>

> lightly browned, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to another baking sheet to

> cool

>

> for 10 minutes. Leave the oven set at 350 F.

>

>

>

> Place the cooled log on a cutting board. With a serrated knife, cut

>

> crosswise on the diagonal into 24 slices 1/2-inch wide. Arrange the

> slices,

>

> cut side down, on the baking sheet. Return to the oven and bake until

> crisp,

>

> 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely. Store

> in

>

> an airtight container.

>

>

>

> Nutritional Analysis

>

> (per serving)

>

> Serving size: 1 cookie

>

> Calories 73 Cholesterol 18 mg

>

> Protein 2 g Sodium 68 mg

>

> Carbohydrate 12 g Fiber 1 g

>

> Total fat 2 g Potassium 100 mg

>

> Saturated fat 0 g Calcium 29 mg

>

> Monounsaturated fat 1 g

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Dig right into the fresh fruits and veggies! ;). Those are the best part of a

vegetarian diet. Check out the files for recipes that use them and the animal

sustitutes. I have eaten better food being a veg than ever.

Welcome.

Cassie

" life's a garden, dig it! "

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 21, 2009, at 1:24 PM, anne harriman <anne_harriman wrote:

Hi Everybody,

I just joined and I have been eating vegetarian for a few years. I know that it

is requested to

post a recipe when you first join but I joined this group because I wanted

vegetarian recipes so

I do not have a recipe.

To elaborate my vegetarian diet are microwavable items like Health is Wealth soy

chicken. Given

my vegetarian diet is store bought I thought I could expand my food choices by

having vegetarian

recipes. So I hope I can find some recipes with this group to expand my food

choices beyond

frozen food items I microwave.

Anne

Guest guest

I agree. Lots of fruits and vegetables. For me, it took changing the way I look

at food. For example, I eat a salad or cooked spinach with my eggs for breakfast

now. I make sure every meal has somekind of fruit/vegetable with it.

--- On Wed, 1/21/09, Cassie Dixon <roxy87cabriolet wrote:

Cassie Dixon <roxy87cabriolet

Re: New Member Intro

" "

Wednesday, January 21, 2009, 9:02 PM

Dig right into the fresh fruits and veggies! ;). Those are the best part of a

vegetarian diet. Check out the files for recipes that use them and the animal

sustitutes. I have eaten better food being a veg than ever.

Welcome.

Cassie

" life's a garden, dig it! "

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 21, 2009, at 1:24 PM, anne harriman <anne_harriman@ > wrote:

Hi Everybody,

I just joined and I have been eating vegetarian for a few years. I know that it

is requested to

post a recipe when you first join but I joined this group because I wanted

vegetarian recipes so

I do not have a recipe.

To elaborate my vegetarian diet are microwavable items like Health is Wealth soy

chicken. Given

my vegetarian diet is store bought I thought I could expand my food choices by

having vegetarian

recipes. So I hope I can find some recipes with this group to expand my food

choices beyond

frozen food items I microwave.

Anne

Guest guest

Hi, Betsy, and welcome!

You'll find lots and lots of really wonderful recipes in the Files,

and plenty of encouragement from other list members as you change

cooking gears.

~ irene

ps -- (soto voce) Tell them about your delicious sweet potato dish.

> Thanks for welcoming me! I'm in the process of switching over to a

> vegetarian lifestyle. This site was recommended by a friend as one

> that offers a lot of great information, opportunities to meet new

> people, and a gazillion recipes.

>

> As I switch my cooking styles, I'll definitely post receipes.

> Right now I just appreciate the opportunity to use this group as

> another tool in this conversion.

>

> Looking forward to chatting with all of you.

>

> Betsy Harris

>

>

Guest guest

tara

welcome to the group. i so want to go to the festival. maybe next year. it looks

so awesome. i attended and volunteered at the annual farm sanctuary country

ho-dwon in watkins glen , ny years ago. oh how i miss festival going. what part

of western maryland are you in?

unita

Tara J Petite <tara

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 11:39:52 AM

New Member Intro

Hi there!

I'm a 30-something mom of three (g9,b6,g1) in western Maryland. I'm a

long-term vegetarian and vegan for about five years. A friend of mine

recommended this list, and I'm always open to more resources and support as

we navigate raising vegan children in a non-vegan world.

I help organize regular vegan potlucks in our area, so if you're out this

way, check out our MeetUp group at: http://www.meetup. com/westMDveg/ - It's

just my attempt to help build a stronger community of like-minded people in

my area. I think having that connection is very helpful with maintaining a

good perspective and positive outlook with one's lifestyle choices.

I'm also excited because we just recently signed up for Vegetarian

Summerfest (http://www.vegetari ansummerfest. org) in Johnston, PA this July.

Anyone else going? We went four years ago, and it was a great experience.

Well, that's it for now. Nice to " meet " you all (and it looks like there's

a lot of you)!

Tara in Maryland

<http://www.petite. net/> The Petite Family

<web web

www.petite.net

<https://www. plaxo.com/ add_me?u= 60131374260 & src=client_ sig_212_1_

simple_join

& invite=1 & lang= en> Always have my latest info!

<http://www.plaxo. com/signature? src=client_ sig_212_1_ simple_sig & lang=en>

Want a signature like this?

Guest guest

Welcome to the group!! It is a great bunch of individuals. And i think i speak

for everyone when i say it is always nice to have a new voice added to the

group.

Amity

, " Tara J Petite " <tara wrote:

>

> Hi there!

>

>

>

> I'm a 30-something mom of three (g9,b6,g1) in western Maryland. I'm a

> long-term vegetarian and vegan for about five years. A friend of mine

> recommended this list, and I'm always open to more resources and support as

> we navigate raising vegan children in a non-vegan world.

>

>

>

> I help organize regular vegan potlucks in our area, so if you're out this

> way, check out our MeetUp group at: http://www.meetup.com/westMDveg/ - It's

> just my attempt to help build a stronger community of like-minded people in

> my area. I think having that connection is very helpful with maintaining a

> good perspective and positive outlook with one's lifestyle choices.

>

>

>

> I'm also excited because we just recently signed up for Vegetarian

> Summerfest (http://www.vegetariansummerfest.org) in Johnston, PA this July.

> Anyone else going? We went four years ago, and it was a great experience.

>

>

>

> Well, that's it for now. Nice to " meet " you all (and it looks like there's

> a lot of you)!

>

>

>

> Tara in Maryland

>

>

>

>

> *****************

> <http://www.petite.net/> The Petite Family

> <web web

>

> www.petite.net

<https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=60131374260 & src=client_sig_212_1_simple_join

> & invite=1 & lang=en> Always have my latest info!

>

>

> <http://www.plaxo.com/signature?src=client_sig_212_1_simple_sig & lang=en>

> Want a signature like this?

>

Guest guest

Hi Tara,

Welcome! Glad you found us. We are also a vegan family (of 6 - 4 boyz-

14, 11,8,5) and host a vegan potluck at our home the first Sat. of every

month. We live in Howard County, MD near Centennial Park. Not sure how

far away from you this is???? Would love to have you come and join us. If

you'd like I can add you to our e-mail reminder list (and anyone else out

there that wants to be added). Just let me know. This is a great group

and hope you enjoy. Bonnie Sorak

Click here to find the right stock, bonds, and mutual funds.

http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTFOGdwPw3OPpBDpoiJoWEmVkeeQ89e\

baMqh0svuKHYz9EszYrNAUg/

Guest guest

Hi there! That's something we always mean to get to, also. the Watkins Glen

sanctuary. some day!

We're in Hagerstown. J

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Tara J Petite

tara

www.petite.net

On

Behalf Of unita walburn

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 6:04 PM

Re: New Member Intro

tara

welcome to the group. i so want to go to the festival. maybe next year. it

looks so awesome. i attended and volunteered at the annual farm sanctuary

country ho-dwon in watkins glen , ny years ago. oh how i miss festival

going. what part of western maryland are you in?

unita

Tara J Petite <tara <tara%40petite.net> >

<%40>

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 11:39:52 AM

New Member Intro

Hi there!

I'm a 30-something mom of three (g9,b6,g1) in western Maryland. I'm a

long-term vegetarian and vegan for about five years. A friend of mine

recommended this list, and I'm always open to more resources and support as

we navigate raising vegan children in a non-vegan world.

I help organize regular vegan potlucks in our area, so if you're out this

way, check out our MeetUp group at: http://www.meetup. com/westMDveg/ - It's

just my attempt to help build a stronger community of like-minded people in

my area. I think having that connection is very helpful with maintaining a

good perspective and positive outlook with one's lifestyle choices.

I'm also excited because we just recently signed up for Vegetarian

Summerfest (http://www.vegetari ansummerfest. org) in Johnston, PA this

July.

Anyone else going? We went four years ago, and it was a great experience.

Well, that's it for now. Nice to " meet " you all (and it looks like there's

a lot of you)!

Tara in Maryland

<http://www.petite. net/> The Petite Family

<web <web%40petite.net> > web

<web%40petite.net>

www.petite.net

<https://www. plaxo.com/ add_me?u= 60131374260 & src=client_ sig_212_1_

simple_join

& invite=1 & lang= en> Always have my latest info!

<http://www.plaxo. com/signature? src=client_ sig_212_1_ simple_sig &

lang=en>

Want a signature like this?

Guest guest

Welcome Tara!

Rebeca

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Tara J Petite <tara wrote:

>

>

> Hi there!

>

> I'm a 30-something mom of three (g9,b6,g1) in western Maryland. I'm a

> long-term vegetarian and vegan for about five years. A friend of mine

> recommended this list, and I'm always open to more resources and support as

> we navigate raising vegan children in a non-vegan world.

>

> I help organize regular vegan potlucks in our area, so if you're out this

> way, check out our MeetUp group at: http://www.meetup.com/westMDveg/ -

> It's

> just my attempt to help build a stronger community of like-minded people in

> my area. I think having that connection is very helpful with maintaining a

> good perspective and positive outlook with one's lifestyle choices.

>

> I'm also excited because we just recently signed up for Vegetarian

> Summerfest (http://www.vegetariansummerfest.org) in Johnston, PA this

> July.

> Anyone else going? We went four years ago, and it was a great experience.

>

> Well, that's it for now. Nice to " meet " you all (and it looks like there's

> a lot of you)!

>

> Tara in Maryland

>

> *****************

> <http://www.petite.net/> The Petite Family

> <web <web%40petite.net>> web<web%40petite.net>

>

> www.petite.net

>

>

>

> <

> https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=60131374260 & src=client_sig_212_1_simple_join

> & invite=1 & lang=en> Always have my latest info!

>

> <http://www.plaxo.com/signature?src=client_sig_212_1_simple_sig & lang=en>

> Want a signature like this?

>

>

Guest guest

Hi Linda and all,

I'm new here too.  I've been pork-free for over 20 years, beef-free for

probably eight or so, limited poultry and fish presently (but I promise not to

talk about it).

I'm very lazy and unskilled about cooking, as it's just me in the house.  I

thought a slow cooker veg group may be my answer.

I love beans, lentils, whole grain pasta, etc.  I don't have any recipes to

share at the moment, but I'll be trying some new veg soups soon and will let you

know.

Thanks,

Suzanne

--- On Mon, 11/30/09, Linda Troup <Linda.Troup wrote:

Linda Troup <Linda.Troup

New Member Intro

Monday, November 30, 2009, 2:08 PM

Hello,

I was just approved to your list and wanted to take a moment to introduce

myself.

I'm have been a vegetarian for all of 2 months. Switched between Lunch &

Dinner one day :-) Hubby is about 90% vegetarian. It is business lunches

& travel that takes away his final 10%.

I'm looking forward to what can be done in a crock pot! Sorry, I don't have

a recipe to share yet but when I do I'll get it posted.

--

Linda Troup, Escondido, CA

FBRN Database Coordinator

P.S. - www.FrenchBulldogRe scueNetwork. org is facing a serious monetary

shortage right now which is making it difficult for us to fulfill our

mission of taking in every Frenchie who needs help. Please consider making

a donation...any amount will help. Thank you!!

http://touchnpaws. blogspot. com

http://www.dropshot s.com/TouchNpaws

http://picasaweb. google.com/ Linda.Troup