IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

eggplant

Rate this topic

Guest guest

i dunno

i would guess that might be a more regional thing or personal. i wouldn't consider italian food as bland. tho i guess that's a taste thing. everyone is different. but there are tons of highly spices italian dishes. (both my parental units are first generation US, lots of "traditional" cooking was done when i was a wee fraggle with the grandparents)

arrabbiata!!!!!

Rene From Cali Jun 30, 2008 11:58 AM Re: eggplant

actually it didnt have cheese. and she made her own tomato sauce. which i found to be very bland. italians dont use a lot of spices in their foods. i think here as americans we tend to over spice a lot of things.

when her mom came out at the end of the year.. everything she made, tasted bland to me. adn all our foods tasted to rich and salty for her.

Rene' Toro

--- On Mon, 6/30/08, fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net>Re: eggplant Date: Monday, June 30, 2008, 7:52 PM

i've had some vegan parmas made out of nuts...not bad..at least sprinkled on things

Blue Rose Jun 30, 2008 11:41 AM @gro ups.com Re: eggplant

I make it with Vegan Gourmet's moz. It's AWESOME.

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 3:39 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net> wrote:

without cheese right? right?

just say "right", or "with vegan parmesan" and let me get on with things.....

Rene From Cali Jun 30, 2008 10:27 AM @gro ups.com Re: eggplant

my exchange student from italy a few years back , tried to make eggplant parm.. and it was gross.. it was hard... then we saw on good eats.. you ar supposed to soak them.. but she didnt do that part..

i love eggplant parm at resteraunts. :)

Rene' Toro

--- On Mon, 6/30/08, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net> wrote:

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>Re: eggplant@gro ups.comMonday, June 30, 2008, 6:23 PM

actually had eggplant saturday afternoon... we went to new world and had something called Eggplant Supreme. (or something like that...)

pretty good, actually the eggplant was sorta crispy...

and a bunch of their yummy spring rolls.

and a ton of beer at the Trappist

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeee

jo Jun 28, 2008 9:45 AM @gro ups.com Re: parents... cholesterol

NO - definitely not. I don't cook aubergine very often, but when I go out I sometimes have garlic aubergine with green bean rice. I must find out how that is made and let you know.

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Saturday, June 28, 2008 4:48 PM

Re: parents... cholesterol

so its time for ratatouile, baba ganoush,stuffed aubergine etc......

You guys better start giving me some recipes , or I might flake out on you, you dont want that on your concience do you? well , DO YOU!?

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>@gro ups.comFriday, 27 June, 2008 10:18:19 PMRe: parents... cholesterol

from wiki:

Studies of the Institute of Biology of São Paulo State University, Brazil (Instituto de Biociências of the UNESP de Botucatu, São Paulo) showed that eggplant is effective in the treatment of high blood cholesterol hypercholesterolemi a.

It can block the formation of free radicals, help control cholesterol levels and is also a source of folic acid and potassium.[6]

Beatriz Jun 27, 2008 5:13 PM @gro ups.com Re: parents... cholesterol

Well, Dear...I have no clue about eggplant's chemistry nor of what transits out of the eggplant and into the water. It's that this recipe comes in natural health books and also saw it here on TV.So, it's up to you whether you want to try it out or not...Cheers,Beatriz--- On Fri, 6/27/08, Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> wrote:

Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com>Re: parents... cholesterol@gro ups.comFriday, June 27, 2008, 4:58 PM

That sounds wierd?

I do eat half a grapefruit every morning which is supposed to help.

Dont think there is anything nutritionally valuable in an aubergine is there? Probably the vitamin C in the lemon as an antioxident?

I am aware of how bad coconut oil is , so have cut down, I do take an EFA suppliment ( but mostly because I believe it helps with the migranes I rarely get ), dont know if it helps with HDL/LDL levels.

Peter vv

Beatriz <searchingalight@ >@gro ups.comFriday, 27 June, 2008 9:49:47 PMRe: parents... cholesterol

Hi Peter,I heard/read a couple of times of this homemade remedy for cholesterol.It's rather simple. Basically all You need is eggplant, water and lemon juice.So, in a jar put 1 eggplant thinly sliced and fill with 1 liter water.Let stand over night (in the fridge if you like).The next day remove the eggplant and add the juice of 1 or 2 lemons.Drink along the day. Do this 2 weeks in a row.I havent tested it, yet(lazy :P)It's simple and ... it's vegan :)Try it! What have you got to loose besides cholesterol? Let me know if it worked for You.Do You use a lot of coconut and palm oil? They say it makes the cholesterol levels go up.On the other hand olive oil will help your HDL (the good guy) go up and the LDL (the bad guy) go down.Cheers,BeatrizI tremble for my species when I reflect that God is just.-Thomas Jefferson--- On Fri, 6/27/08, Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> wrote:

Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com>Re: parents@gro ups.comFriday, June 27, 2008, 4:37 PM

my parents were a bit like that, before I went vegie, and vegan when I was a kid, we didnt have much, so it was a question of eat whats there or go without. my mother always seemed to be in the kitchen, cooking/baking making jam etc......... ...she still cooks for me ..........

I`m just a big momies boy......... .....:)

Peter vv

Blue Rose <bluerose156@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comFriday, 27 June, 2008 9:26:23 PMRe: parents

All my dad eats is red meat and starch, and wonders why his health is so bad and he's overweight. :( My mom eats nothing but chicken and gorges on candy when she thinks no one is looking.

I worry about them both, but especially my dad. He has NO leeway... Unfortunately he's the product of his generation and all he knows is red meat and starch.

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 4:20 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net> wrote:

sad to hear everyone's parent woes....blue rose...hope your folks are ok now...cancer certainly seems to be on the rise, i know quite a few ppl with various forms and in various stages...not good, not good at all....my father also has a really bad heart....everytime i talk to him it seems something else has come upnever funfraggle"We now know that a neo-conservative is an arsonist who sets the house on fire and six years later boasts that no one can put it out." - Bill Moyers------------ --------- --------- ------To send an email to -unsubscr ibe

Guest guest

she is from the south.... apparently never has heard of alfredo sauce in her life.. and i noticed that she had to eat bread , and then salad, then diner... many times. I really dont get how italians seem to eat soooo much.. yet are so skinny.. at least the ones i knew ... lol from the south.. apparently the north and the south.. have ..umm.. issues.. lol

Rene' Toro

--- On Mon, 6/30/08, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

fraggle <EBbrewpunxRe: eggplant Date: Monday, June 30, 2008, 8:08 PM

i dunno

i would guess that might be a more regional thing or personal. i wouldn't consider italian food as bland. tho i guess that's a taste thing. everyone is different. but there are tons of highly spices italian dishes. (both my parental units are first generation US, lots of "traditional" cooking was done when i was a wee fraggle with the grandparents)

arrabbiata!! !!!

Rene From Cali Jun 30, 2008 11:58 AM @gro ups.com Re: eggplant

actually it didnt have cheese. and she made her own tomato sauce. which i found to be very bland. italians dont use a lot of spices in their foods. i think here as americans we tend to over spice a lot of things.

when her mom came out at the end of the year.. everything she made, tasted bland to me. adn all our foods tasted to rich and salty for her.

Rene' Toro

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>Re: eggplant@gro ups.comMonday, June 30, 2008, 7:52 PM

i've had some vegan parmas made out of nuts...not bad..at least sprinkled on things

just say "right", or "with vegan parmesan" and let me get on with things......

my exchange student from italy a few years back , tried to make eggplant parm.. and it was gross.. it was hard... then we saw on good eats.. you ar supposed to soak them.. but she didnt do that part..

Rene' Toro

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>Re: eggplant@gro ups.comMonday, June 30, 2008, 6:23 PM

actually had eggplant saturday afternoon... we went to new world and had something called Eggplant Supreme. (or something like that...)

NO - definitely not. I don't cook aubergine very often, but when I go out I sometimes have garlic aubergine with green bean rice. I must find out how that is made and let you know.

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

You guys better start giving me some recipes , or I might flake out on you, you dont want that on your concience do you? well , DO YOU!?

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>@gro ups.comFriday, 27 June, 2008 10:18:19 PMRe: parents... cholesterol

from wiki:

Studies of the Institute of Biology of São Paulo State University, Brazil (Instituto de Biociências of the UNESP de Botucatu, São Paulo) showed that eggplant is effective in the treatment of high blood cholesterol hypercholesterolemi a.

It can block the formation of free radicals, help control cholesterol levels and is also a source of folic acid and potassium.[6]

Well, Dear...I have no clue about eggplant's chemistry nor of what transits out of the eggplant and into the water. It's that this recipe comes in natural health books and also saw it here on TV.So, it's up to you whether you want to try it out or not...Cheers,Beatriz--- On Fri, 6/27/08, Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> wrote:

Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com>Re: parents... cholesterol@gro ups.comFriday, June 27, 2008, 4:58 PM

That sounds wierd?

Dont think there is anything nutritionally valuable in an aubergine is there? Probably the vitamin C in the lemon as an antioxident?

I am aware of how bad coconut oil is , so have cut down, I do take an EFA suppliment ( but mostly because I believe it helps with the migranes I rarely get ), dont know if it helps with HDL/LDL levels.

Peter vv

Beatriz <searchingalight@ >@gro ups.comFriday, 27 June, 2008 9:49:47 PMRe: parents... cholesterol

Hi Peter,I heard/read a couple of times of this homemade remedy for cholesterol.It's rather simple. Basically all You need is eggplant, water and lemon juice.So, in a jar put 1 eggplant thinly sliced and fill with 1 liter water.Let stand over night (in the fridge if you like).The next day remove the eggplant and add the juice of 1 or 2 lemons.Drink along the day. Do this 2 weeks in a row.I havent tested it, yet(lazy :P)It's simple and ... it's vegan :)Try it! What have you got to loose besides cholesterol? Let me know if it worked for You.Do You use a lot of coconut and palm oil? They say it makes the cholesterol levels go up.On the other hand olive oil will help your HDL (the good guy) go up and the LDL (the bad guy) go down.Cheers,BeatrizI tremble for my species when I reflect that God is just.-Thomas Jefferson--- On Fri, 6/27/08, Peter VV

<swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> wrote:

Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com>Re: parents@gro ups.comFriday, June 27, 2008, 4:37 PM

my parents were a bit like that, before I went vegie, and vegan when I was a kid, we didnt have much, so it was a question of eat whats there or go without. my mother always seemed to be in the kitchen, cooking/baking making jam etc......... ...she still cooks for me ..........

Peter vv

Blue Rose <bluerose156@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comFriday, 27 June, 2008 9:26:23 PMRe: parents

All my dad eats is red meat and starch, and wonders why his health is so bad and he's overweight. :( My mom eats nothing but chicken and gorges on candy when she thinks no one is looking.

I worry about them both, but especially my dad. He has NO leeway.... Unfortunately he's the product of his generation and all he knows is red meat and starch.

sad to hear everyone's parent woes....blue rose...hope your folks are ok now...cancer certainly seems to be on the rise, i know quite a few ppl with various forms and in various stages...not good, not good at all....my father also has a really bad heart....everytime i talk to him it seems something else has come upnever funfraggle"We now know that a neo-conservative is an arsonist who sets the house on fire and six years later boasts that no one can put it out." - Bill Moyers------------ --------- --------- ------To send an email to -unsubscr ibe

Guest guest

again, that might just be that person.

i'm 3/4 sicilian..for whatever that's worth...(100% fraggle tho). thats pretty dang "south" hhahahaaha....

it all depends..like i said, tons of spicey italian foods, i certainly had scores of dishes that were

alfreado (ewww..ick! moo juice!! ick poo!) is credited with being from rome...

lotsa bread in italy..its good filling food, and face it, lotsa folks are poor.

the med. diet is well known as a healthful diet in which obesity doesn't have to be an issue

Rene From Cali Jun 30, 2008 12:12 PM Re: eggplant

she is from the south.... apparently never has heard of alfredo sauce in her life.. and i noticed that she had to eat bread , and then salad, then diner... many times. I really dont get how italians seem to eat soooo much.. yet are so skinny.. at least the ones i knew ... lol from the south.. apparently the north and the south.. have ..umm.. issues.. lol

Rene' Toro

--- On Mon, 6/30/08, fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net>Re: eggplant Date: Monday, June 30, 2008, 8:08 PM

i dunno

arrabbiata!! !!!

Rene' Toro

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>Re: eggplant@gro ups.comMonday, June 30, 2008, 7:52 PM

just say "right", or "with vegan parmesan" and let me get on with things......

Rene' Toro

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv

from wiki:

That sounds wierd?

Peter vv

Hi Peter,I heard/read a couple of times of this homemade remedy for cholesterol.It's rather simple. Basically all You need is eggplant, water and lemon juice.So, in a jar put 1 eggplant thinly sliced and fill with 1 liter water.Let stand over night (in the fridge if you like).The next day remove the eggplant and add the juice of 1 or 2 lemons.Drink along the day. Do this 2 weeks in a row.I havent tested it, yet(lazy :P)It's simple and ... it's vegan :)Try it! What have you got to loose besides cholesterol? Let me know if it worked for You.Do You use a lot of coconut and palm oil? They say it makes the cholesterol levels go up.On the other hand olive oil will help your HDL (the good guy) go up and the LDL (the bad guy) go down.Cheers,BeatrizI tremble for my species when I reflect that God is just.-Thomas Jefferson--- On Fri, 6/27/08, Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> wrote:

Peter vv

I worry about them both, but especially my dad. He has NO leeway.... Unfortunately he's the product of his generation and all he knows is red meat and starch.

Guest guest

maybe so. i was just amazed though, at what my preception was about italians, and how they ended up to actually be. Actually I have been surprised at all my exchages I have done.. italy, the netherlands, germany, austria,japan, russia, france, and brazil. :)

Rene' Toro

--- On Mon, 6/30/08, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

fraggle <EBbrewpunxRe: eggplant Date: Monday, June 30, 2008, 8:25 PM

again, that might just be that person.

i'm 3/4 sicilian..for whatever that's worth...(100% fraggle tho). thats pretty dang "south" hhahahaaha.. ..

it all depends..like i said, tons of spicey italian foods, i certainly had scores of dishes that were

alfreado (ewww..ick! moo juice!! ick poo!) is credited with being from rome...

lotsa bread in italy..its good filling food, and face it, lotsa folks are poor.

the med. diet is well known as a healthful diet in which obesity doesn't have to be an issue

Rene From Cali Jun 30, 2008 12:12 PM @gro ups.com Re: eggplant

Rene' Toro

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>Re: eggplant@gro ups.comMonday, June 30, 2008, 8:08 PM

i dunno

arrabbiata!! !!!

Rene' Toro

just say "right", or "with vegan parmesan" and let me get on with things.......

Rene' Toro

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv

from wiki:

That sounds wierd?

Peter vv

Hi Peter,I heard/read a couple of times of this homemade remedy for cholesterol.It's rather simple. Basically all You need is eggplant, water and lemon juice.So, in a jar put 1 eggplant thinly sliced and fill with 1 liter water.Let stand over night (in the fridge if you like).The next day remove the eggplant and add the juice of 1 or 2 lemons.Drink along the day. Do this 2 weeks in a row.I havent tested it, yet(lazy :P)It's simple and ... it's vegan :)Try it! What have you got to loose besides cholesterol? Let me know if it worked for You.Do You use a lot of coconut and palm oil? They say it makes the cholesterol levels go up.On the other hand olive oil will help your HDL (the good guy) go up and the LDL (the bad guy) go down.Cheers,BeatrizI tremble for my species when I reflect that God is just.-Thomas Jefferson--- On Fri, 6/27/08, Peter VV

<swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> wrote:

Peter vv

I worry about them both, but especially my dad. He has NO leeway..... Unfortunately he's the product of his generation and all he knows is red meat and starch.

Guest guest

thats sounds very good how much teryaki do u think would you put on the

vegtables?

Saturday, August 09, 2008 7:42:55 pm

" Vegetarian Group "

Re: Eggplant

thelilacflower

I love to dice it and saute with onions and mushrooms and garlic and when it's

almost done add some teriyaki and sesame seeds. Eat on rice or alone.

Donna

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

akfral

Sat, 9 Aug 2008 19:29:02

my favorite is old standby eggplant parmesan or the eggplant relish in the

files. Amy

**************Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your budget?

Read reviews on AOL Autos.

(http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?ncid=aolaut00050000000017

)

Guest guest

yea i think i will do that so many recipes so little time haha i am using these

recipes day and night and then i find more and then im not hungry ive already

got tommorow planed out food wise:) Braxton

" Donnalilacflower " <thelilacflower

Sat, 09 Aug 2008 16:59:40 Pacific Daylight Time

Use just a few tablespoons at first, taste it see if you want more, if teriyaki

is too sweet add

a splash of soy sauce to it.

Domma

How does it feel to be on your own, with no direction home, like a complete

unknown,

like a rolling stone?

Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone

--- On Sat, 8/9/08, Braxton Draper <draperbraxton wrote:

Braxton Draper <draperbraxton

Saturday, August 9, 2008, 4:54 PM

vegtables?

" Vegetarian Group " <>

Re: [vegetarian_ group] Eggplant

thelilacflower@

Donna

akfral

<>

files. Amy

************ **Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your budget?

(http://autos. aol.com/cars- BMW-128-2008/ expert-review? ncid=aolaut00050

000000017 )

Guest guest

i8 got this recipe early this week i bet its very good and its

japanese

JAPANESE EGGPLANT WITH LIGHT MISO, GINGER AND SESAME

Use the skinny japanese or italian eggplants

6 eggplants

dark sesame oil (1 tsp)

2 tbsp light colored miso paste

2 tbsp grated ginger root

1 tbsp sesame seeds

Rub a little oil on the outside of the whole eggplants (do not take

skins off) Grill or broil eggplants until almost done. Take out of

the fire and make a slit on them (do not peel). Mix the miso and

grated ginger together, add the dark sesame oil, and stuff a little

of this paste lenghtwise into the slits that you made in the

eggplants.

If you are using the rounder eggplants like Rosa Bianca, then simply

cut them in half length wise and bake or broil this way. Add the miso

mixture on the cut surface.

Sprinkle with sesame seeds and broil until the seeds are

golden.

thanks to rose that this recipe is possible

, " cpoma2 " <cpomaster

wrote:

>

> Does anyone have a good recipe for eggplant? I have one plant that

is

> producing lots of produce and I am not sure what I can do with it

all.

> I would love any suggestions & recipes.

> Thank you

> cpoma2

>

Guest guest

I posted one a couple days ago for couple days ago, I think, for PENNE WITH

PROVENCAL VEGETABLES. 

It is yummy and so very easy,.  I am making it right now to keep for dinner

tomorrow.  I normally don't cook or Sundays, so make ahead dishes are a winner

with me.  

I don't know if muchrooms are concidered Provencal vegetables, but I throw some

in anyway, cause I love mushrooms.

Katie   

--- On Sat, 8/9/08, cpoma2 <cpomaster wrote:

cpoma2 <cpomaster

Eggplant

Saturday, August 9, 2008, 1:53 PM

Does anyone have a good recipe for eggplant? I have one plant that is

producing lots of produce and I am not sure what I can do with it all.

I would love any suggestions & recipes.

Thank you

cpoma2

Guest guest

Donna

akfral

files. Amy

**************Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your budget?

(http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?ncid=aolaut00050000000017

)

Guest guest

And then there's always Ratatouille which I currently have on the stove.? Always

says summer to me.? Great way to use up some of that zucchini that everyone

seems to have an abundance of.? Good hot, cold or?room temp.? Can serve as a

side dish or over pasta and freezes well.?

TM

Guest guest

Use just a few tablespoons at first, taste it see if you want more, if teriyaki

is too sweet add

a splash of soy sauce to it.

Domma

How does it feel to be on your own, with no direction home, like a complete

unknown,

like a rolling stone?

Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone

--- On Sat, 8/9/08, Braxton Draper <draperbraxton wrote:

Braxton Draper <draperbraxton

Saturday, August 9, 2008, 4:54 PM

vegtables?

" Vegetarian Group " <>

thelilacflower@

Donna

akfral

<>

files. Amy

************ **Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your budget?

(http://autos. aol.com/cars- BMW-128-2008/ expert-review? ncid=aolaut00050

000000017 )

Guest guest

I'm from the south and this is how I remember my mother and

grandmothers cooking eggplant. Yum.

Easy Fried Eggplant

INGREDIENTS:

2 tablespoons canola oil (I find I keep having to add oil)

1 large eggplant, peeled and sliced

3 eggs, beaten

2 cups dry bread crumbs

DIRECTIONS:

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Dip eggplant slices

in egg, then in crumbs, and place in hot oil. Fry 2 to 3 minutes on

each side, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

, " cpoma2 " <cpomaster wrote:

>

> Does anyone have a good recipe for eggplant? I have one plant that is

> producing lots of produce and I am not sure what I can do with it all.

> Thank you

> cpoma2

>

Guest guest

I love eggplants and I also grow them. So far my favorite cultivar is

Rosa Bianca, but we also like and grow others. What do you grow?

Which one is so productive? I would like to know.

Some of my favorite eggplant dishes:

broiled eggplant with miso and ginger (recipe on files)

Eggplant parmigiana (I make a lower fat version)

Baba ganoush (pureed grilled eggplant dip with middle eastern seasonings)

Ratatouille

Grilled eggplant (whole) sliced and dressed with minced parsley/garlic

and olive oil (this is called escalivada in Catalonia)

eggplant pizza (yum! pre-roast or grill/broil before using as topping)

Caponata (a sicilian eggplant salad that has tomatoes, eggplant,

onions, celery, olives, capers and lemon rind)

I need a few more myself, a few plants have baby eggplants on them

that are getting larger...

Roseta

>

> Thank you

> cpoma2

>

Guest guest

In the Eggplant folder I highly recommend the Moussaka posted by Julie

K. It is delicious!

Peace,

Diane

>

> Thank you

> cpoma2

>

Guest guest

I live in Israel and sometimes I think we are the eggplant capital of the

world. Here are some of the ways I use them:

Salads

start with a whole roasted eggplant. I roast it on a grate on the stovetop,

outdoors on a grill or in the oven. cut in half and remove the flesh.

mayonnaise - add some fresh minced garlic and about 1 heaping tablespoon of

mayonaise - combine

tehina - add a couple of tablespoons of tehina and combine

salad - stir in a few tablespoons of oil and whip well with a spoon. season

with salt and pepper. add finely diced tomatoes, cucumbers and scallions or

onions.

green tehina - cut the eggplant in half and arrange on a plate (in skin) -

top with tehina that has been mixed with a large amount of finely chopped

flat leaf parsley. sprinkle with roasted pinenuts.

I guess this is as good a place as any :

home made tehina sauce- tehina, fresh lemon juice, minced garlic, salt to

taste, water to thin. If I want to make " green " I use a stick blender or

food processor and add about half a bunch of parsley to a sauce that began

with 1/2 c tehina.

Eggplant slices:

pan fry thin slices of unpeeled eggplant in oil til browned. Layer in a

glass pie plate. On each layer sprinkle a little bit of sugar and scatter

onion rings and a bay leaf or two. Drizzle a bit of cider vinegar and keep

layering. Cover, refrigerate and let sit at least a few hours. Serve at room

temperature.

Roasted eggplant and vegetables:

on a " pammed " baking sheet - in about 1 " cubes - eggplant, red pepper,

tomatoes and onions cut in 6 wedges, zuchinni if desired - drizzle lightly

with olive oil and roast at about 400 until done. Sprinkle with kosher salt

and whatever - serve at room temperature. ( This is also good tossed with

short pasta and served as a pasta salad)

My personal current favorite:

Cut an eggplant in 6 lengthwise wedges. Drizzle with oilive oil. Cook on

very hot grill until cooked on all sides. I eat this on sandwiches ( great

wih midle eastern-y stuff, with a salty cheese, with plain mayo and tomato

etc.)and just about any other way I can - sort of as an all purpose

everything - on top of leftover rice with a bit of soy sauce etc.

There are other recipes I use for salads but those usually mean rechecking

the cookbooks.

Hope these give someone some ideas.

Donna

Guest guest

Thanks for sharing all your eggplant ideas. How long do you think it takes to

roast in the oven and at what temp do you set your oven? I'll have to try some

of your suggestions. Thanks for sharing them.

My newest favorite way to prepare Eggplant is to make Eggplant Teriyaki. It is

so good over basmati rice. The recipe is in our Eggplant recipe files.

Judy

-

Donna Moncharsh

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 5:34 AM

Re: Re: Eggplant

I live in Israel and sometimes I think we are the eggplant capital of the

world. Here are some of the ways I use them:

Salads

start with a whole roasted eggplant. I roast it on a grate on the stovetop,

outdoors on a grill or in the oven. cut in half and remove the flesh.

mayonnaise - add some fresh minced garlic and about 1 heaping tablespoon of

mayonaise - combine

tehina - add a couple of tablespoons of tehina and combine

salad - stir in a few tablespoons of oil and whip well with a spoon. season

with salt and pepper. add finely diced tomatoes, cucumbers and scallions or

onions.

green tehina - cut the eggplant in half and arrange on a plate (in skin) -

top with tehina that has been mixed with a large amount of finely chopped

flat leaf parsley. sprinkle with roasted pinenuts.

I guess this is as good a place as any :

home made tehina sauce- tehina, fresh lemon juice, minced garlic, salt to

taste, water to thin. If I want to make " green " I use a stick blender or

food processor and add about half a bunch of parsley to a sauce that began

with 1/2 c tehina.

Eggplant slices:

pan fry thin slices of unpeeled eggplant in oil til browned. Layer in a

glass pie plate. On each layer sprinkle a little bit of sugar and scatter

onion rings and a bay leaf or two. Drizzle a bit of cider vinegar and keep

layering. Cover, refrigerate and let sit at least a few hours. Serve at room

temperature.

Roasted eggplant and vegetables:

on a " pammed " baking sheet - in about 1 " cubes - eggplant, red pepper,

tomatoes and onions cut in 6 wedges, zuchinni if desired - drizzle lightly

with olive oil and roast at about 400 until done. Sprinkle with kosher salt

and whatever - serve at room temperature. ( This is also good tossed with

short pasta and served as a pasta salad)

My personal current favorite:

Cut an eggplant in 6 lengthwise wedges. Drizzle with oilive oil. Cook on

very hot grill until cooked on all sides. I eat this on sandwiches ( great

wih midle eastern-y stuff, with a salty cheese, with plain mayo and tomato

etc.)and just about any other way I can - sort of as an all purpose

everything - on top of leftover rice with a bit of soy sauce etc.

There are other recipes I use for salads but those usually mean rechecking

the cookbooks.

Hope these give someone some ideas.

Donna

Guest guest

I think it takes about an hour at 375. I don't pierce or stab with a

knife but I will admit that I have had eggplants explode so I kind of

recommend doing it. Also- after the pulp is removed, drain off the

excess liquid. ( Just pour it off - don't try to get all of it)

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 3:16 PM, wwjd <jtwigg wrote:

> Thanks for sharing all your eggplant ideas. How long do you think it takes

> to roast in the oven and at what temp do you set your oven? I'll have to try

> some of your suggestions. Thanks for sharing them.

>

> My newest favorite way to prepare Eggplant is to make Eggplant Teriyaki. It

> is so good over basmati rice. The recipe is in our Eggplant recipe files.

>

> Judy

>

>

Guest guest

good stuff thanks Donna

On 8/13/08, Donna Moncharsh <freddyandme wrote:

>

> I live in Israel and sometimes I think we are the eggplant capital of

> the

> world. Here are some of the ways I use them:

>

> Salads

>

> start with a whole roasted eggplant. I roast it on a grate on the stovetop,

> outdoors on a grill or in the oven. cut in half and remove the flesh.

>

> mayonnaise - add some fresh minced garlic and about 1 heaping tablespoon of

> mayonaise - combine

>

> tehina - add a couple of tablespoons of tehina and combine

>

> salad - stir in a few tablespoons of oil and whip well with a spoon. season

> with salt and pepper. add finely diced tomatoes, cucumbers and scallions or

> onions.

>

> green tehina - cut the eggplant in half and arrange on a plate (in skin) -

> top with tehina that has been mixed with a large amount of finely chopped

> flat leaf parsley. sprinkle with roasted pinenuts.

>

> I guess this is as good a place as any :

>

> home made tehina sauce- tehina, fresh lemon juice, minced garlic, salt to

> taste, water to thin. If I want to make " green " I use a stick blender or

> food processor and add about half a bunch of parsley to a sauce that began

> with 1/2 c tehina.

>

> Eggplant slices:

>

> pan fry thin slices of unpeeled eggplant in oil til browned. Layer in a

> glass pie plate. On each layer sprinkle a little bit of sugar and scatter

> onion rings and a bay leaf or two. Drizzle a bit of cider vinegar and keep

> layering. Cover, refrigerate and let sit at least a few hours. Serve at

> room

> temperature.

>

> Roasted eggplant and vegetables:

>

> on a " pammed " baking sheet - in about 1 " cubes - eggplant, red pepper,

> tomatoes and onions cut in 6 wedges, zuchinni if desired - drizzle lightly

> with olive oil and roast at about 400 until done. Sprinkle with kosher salt

> and whatever - serve at room temperature. ( This is also good tossed with

> short pasta and served as a pasta salad)

>

> My personal current favorite:

>

> Cut an eggplant in 6 lengthwise wedges. Drizzle with oilive oil. Cook on

> very hot grill until cooked on all sides. I eat this on sandwiches ( great

> wih midle eastern-y stuff, with a salty cheese, with plain mayo and tomato

> etc.)and just about any other way I can - sort of as an all purpose

> everything - on top of leftover rice with a bit of soy sauce etc.

>

> There are other recipes I use for salads but those usually mean rechecking

> the cookbooks.

>

> Hope these give someone some ideas.

>

> Donna

>

>

Guest guest

Lots of good ideas here, thanks Donna! What eggplant varieties do you

use in Israel?

, " Donna Moncharsh "

<freddyandme wrote:

>

> I live in Israel and sometimes I think we are the eggplant capital

of the

> world. Here are some of the ways I use them:

>

> Salads

>

> start with a whole roasted eggplant. I roast it on a grate on the

stovetop,

> outdoors on a grill or in the oven. cut in half and remove the flesh.

>

> mayonnaise - add some fresh minced garlic and about 1 heaping

tablespoon of

> mayonaise - combine

>

> tehina - add a couple of tablespoons of tehina and combine

>

> salad - stir in a few tablespoons of oil and whip well with a spoon.

season

> with salt and pepper. add finely diced tomatoes, cucumbers and

scallions or

> onions.

>

> green tehina - cut the eggplant in half and arrange on a plate (in

skin) -

> top with tehina that has been mixed with a large amount of finely

chopped

> flat leaf parsley. sprinkle with roasted pinenuts.

>

> I guess this is as good a place as any :

>

> home made tehina sauce- tehina, fresh lemon juice, minced garlic,

salt to

> taste, water to thin. If I want to make " green " I use a stick blender or

> food processor and add about half a bunch of parsley to a sauce that

began

> with 1/2 c tehina.

>

> Eggplant slices:

>

> pan fry thin slices of unpeeled eggplant in oil til browned. Layer in a

> glass pie plate. On each layer sprinkle a little bit of sugar and

scatter

> onion rings and a bay leaf or two. Drizzle a bit of cider vinegar

and keep

> layering. Cover, refrigerate and let sit at least a few hours. Serve

at room

> temperature.

>

> Roasted eggplant and vegetables:

>

> on a " pammed " baking sheet - in about 1 " cubes - eggplant, red pepper,

> tomatoes and onions cut in 6 wedges, zuchinni if desired - drizzle

lightly

> with olive oil and roast at about 400 until done. Sprinkle with

kosher salt

> and whatever - serve at room temperature. ( This is also good tossed

with

> short pasta and served as a pasta salad)

>

> My personal current favorite:

>

> Cut an eggplant in 6 lengthwise wedges. Drizzle with oilive oil.

Cook on

> very hot grill until cooked on all sides. I eat this on sandwiches

( great

> wih midle eastern-y stuff, with a salty cheese, with plain mayo and

tomato

> etc.)and just about any other way I can - sort of as an all purpose

> everything - on top of leftover rice with a bit of soy sauce etc.

>

> There are other recipes I use for salads but those usually mean

rechecking

> the cookbooks.

>

> Hope these give someone some ideas.

>

> Donna

>

>

>

Guest guest

I don't know what the variety is- but it's not fancy- same as for at

least 30 years- purple, elongated, straight scar at blossom end.

A few years ago they had some white ones but I haven't seen them this year.

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 8:43 PM, rosetalleo <rosetalleo wrote:

> Lots of good ideas here, thanks Donna! What eggplant varieties do you

> use in Israel?

>

>

Guest guest

Thanks for those urls, Barbara. Eggplant is a fabulous thing to use for veggies

and vegans - so versatile and yesssss so healthy too :)

I do warn you all, however, that some of these recipes have too high a quantity

of oil in them to qualify as low-fat - and that would undercut in many ways the

health advantages of eggplant. Try baking it, sauteeing it in stock/water/wine,

or even frying it, so to speak, without oil. Much better!

Love, Pat

---

http://www.vegandonelight.com/spice

http://beanvegan.blogspot.com

http://river-rambles.blogspot.com

" As long as you derive inner help and comfort from anything, keep it. " Mahatma

Gandhi.

Guest guest

I haven't yet been able to cook eggplants so that I like them. But I

bought three little purple eggplants at the market yesterday, because

they were so beautiful, and I don't know what to do with them!

Pam

On 3/14/09, drpatsant <drpatsant wrote:

> Thanks for those urls, Barbara. Eggplant is a fabulous thing to use for

> veggies and vegans - so versatile and yesssss so healthy too :)

>

> I do warn you all, however, that some of these recipes have too high a

> quantity of oil in them to qualify as low-fat - and that would undercut in

> many ways the health advantages of eggplant. Try baking it, sauteeing it in

> stock/water/wine, or even frying it, so to speak, without oil. Much better!

>

> Love, Pat

>

> ---

> http://www.vegandonelight.com/spice

> http://beanvegan.blogspot.com

> http://river-rambles.blogspot.com

> " As long as you derive inner help and comfort from anything, keep it. "

> Mahatma Gandhi.

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

cut them in half lengthwise, drizzle cut side w/olive oil, put cut side down on

a pan & roast at 400F for about 30 minutes, sprinkle w/kosher salt &

swoooooon. 

Beth  Creative Memories - for all your memory preservations needs! 

“The right adult at the right time can make an enormous difference. Many kids

have a history of difficult, disappointing relationships and one good

relationship--one person who is there for them--can make a huge difference.â€Â 

--- On Sat, 3/14/09, pdw <pdworkman wrote:

pdw <pdworkman

Saturday, March 14, 2009, 11:24 PM

I haven't yet been able to cook eggplants so that I like them. But I

bought three little purple eggplants at the market yesterday, because

they were so beautiful, and I don't know what to do with them!

Pam

On 3/14/09, drpatsant <drpatsant > wrote:

> Thanks for those urls, Barbara. Eggplant is a fabulous thing to use for

> veggies and vegans - so versatile and yesssss so healthy too :)

>

> I do warn you all, however, that some of these recipes have too high a

> quantity of oil in them to qualify as low-fat - and that would undercut in

> many ways the health advantages of eggplant. Try baking it, sauteeing it in

> stock/water/ wine, or even frying it, so to speak, without oil. Much better!

>

> Love, Pat

>

> ---

> http://www.vegandon elight.com/ spice

> http://beanvegan. blogspot. com

> http://river- rambles.blogspot .com

> " As long as you derive inner help and comfort from anything, keep it. "

> Mahatma Gandhi.

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Anything that doesn't involve extracted oils guys? I need some ideas.

Pam

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Beth Renzetti <elmothree2000 wrote:

> cut them in half lengthwise, drizzle cut side w/olive oil, put cut side down

> on a pan & roast at 400F for about 30 minutes, sprinkle w/kosher salt &

> swoooooon.

>

> Beth  Creative Memories - for all your memory preservations needs!

> “The right adult at the right time can make an enormous difference. Many

> kids have a history of difficult, disappointing relationships and one good

> relationship--one person who is there for them--can make a huge

> difference.”

>

> --- On Sat, 3/14/09, pdw <pdworkman wrote:

>

> pdw <pdworkman

> Re: Eggplant

>

> Saturday, March 14, 2009, 11:24 PM

>

> I haven't yet been able to cook eggplants so that I like them. But I

> bought three little purple eggplants at the market yesterday, because

> they were so beautiful, and I don't know what to do with them!

>

> Pam

>

> On 3/14/09, drpatsant <drpatsant > wrote:

>> Thanks for those urls, Barbara. Eggplant is a fabulous thing to use for

>> veggies and vegans - so versatile and yesssss so healthy too :)

>>

>> I do warn you all, however, that some of these recipes have too high a

>> quantity of oil in them to qualify as low-fat - and that would undercut in

>> many ways the health advantages of eggplant. Try baking it, sauteeing it

>> in

>> stock/water/ wine, or even frying it, so to speak, without oil. Much

>> better!

>>

>> Love, Pat

>>

>> ---

>> http://www.vegandon elight.com/ spice