Animal Alternative Foodstuffs

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Just out of interest,

Do any vegans eat vegan fodstuffs that imitate the meat versions ( e.g. fishh

flavoured fish fingers, meat flavoured burgers, chicken/turkey/ham flavoured

slices etc)? Personally I would not touch this sort of thing with a barge pole,

as it would only register some long past memory of eating the real thing - and

possibly sub conciously make me feel ill as a result.

Whilst everyone is entitled to their own views and opinions as long as they do

not harm or force their view on anyone else, I personally do not see the point

of going vegetarian/vegan then wanting to eat something that tastes/looks like

something that losts its life for that meal. Especially when there are so many

vegan alternatives/ingredients to make something more compassionate.

What do you think?

The Valley Vegan........

Peter H

--------------------

talk21 your FREE portable and private address on the net at

http://www.talk21.com

Guest guest

Hi Peter

> Whilst everyone is entitled to their own views and opinions as long as they do not harm or

> force their view on anyone else, I personally do not see the point of going vegetarian/vegan

> then wanting to eat something that tastes/looks like something that losts its life for that > meal. Especially when there are so many vegan alternatives/ingredients to make something

> more compassionate.

I have to admit that this view makes me laugh a little. In the fields near where I live there are cows and sheep, but I don't see many sausages or strips of bacon running around, last time I looked in a pond I didn't see many bread-coated sticks swimming around - perhaps they were hibernating?

Personally, I went vegetarian (then vegan) because I didn't want to harm animals - I can honestly say that although there are many reasons why I would never again eat meat, taste has never been and never will be a consideration in that decision.

Why would you want to boycott something that does no harm purely because is it manufactured in the same shape as something which is manufactured by doing harm, or because it has a similar taste to something else?

BB

Peter

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.493 / Virus Database: 292 - Release 25/06/03

Guest guest

i luv analogs....

tho..don't eat em everyday er anything..

my take on em....they are just differently flavored veggies and such..just a different ways to prepare and spice foods

when carni's get all rambuctuous about folks eating tofu dogs or meatless burgers(that doesn't look like a carrot to me..), my response usually is "wow, i didn't know cows gave birth to hamburger" or "that hot dog looks nuthin like the pigeon.."

Guest guest

Yep, when I need a quick or lazy meal. And I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole either - too many germs.

How does a sausage shaped anything look like an animal?

Jo

-

swpgh01

Thursday, July 03, 2003 6:24 PM

Just out of interest,Do any vegans eat vegan fodstuffs that imitate the meat versions ( e.g. fishh flavoured fish fingers, meat flavoured burgers, chicken/turkey/ham flavoured slices etc)? Personally I would not touch this sort of thing with a barge pole, as it would only register some long past memory of eating the real thing - and possibly sub conciously make me feel ill as a result.Whilst everyone is entitled to their own views and opinions as long as they do not harm or force their view on anyone else, I personally do not see the point of going vegetarian/vegan then wanting to eat something that tastes/looks like something that losts its life for that meal. Especially when there are so many vegan alternatives/ingredients to make something more compassionate.What do you think?The Valley Vegan........Peter H--------------------talk21 your FREE portable and private address on the net at http://www.talk21.com

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Tonight, I had fake chicken chow mein from the vegan place down Archway. Twas wonderful. Been vegan 13 years, veggie 17. Probably tastes nothing like chicken - my memory's not that good.

swpgh01 [swpgh01]Thursday, July 03, 2003 6:25 PM Subject: Animal Alternative FoodstuffsJust out of interest,Do any vegans eat vegan fodstuffs that imitate the meat versions ( e.g. fishh flavoured fish fingers, meat flavoured burgers, chicken/turkey/ham flavoured slices etc)? Personally I would not touch this sort of thing with a barge pole, as it would only register some long past memory of eating the real thing - and possibly sub conciously make me feel ill as a result.Whilst everyone is entitled to their own views and opinions as long as they do not harm or force their view on anyone else, I personally do not see the point of going vegetarian/vegan then wanting to eat something that tastes/looks like something that losts its life for that meal. Especially when there are so many vegan alternatives/ingredients to make something more compassionate.What do you think?The Valley Vegan........Peter H

Guest guest

I have no problem with the analogues. OK, maybe it's because I've been veg

a very short time. I think there's enough of a difference in most foods

that it really doesn't bother me. I don't think, " This is just like

<whatever animal product it resembles>. " I think, " This tastes delicious. "

Besides meat wouldn't have much of a flavor without all the seasonings

people add to it.

Danielle

" This is your American dream

Everything is simple in the white and the black

You will never need to see the grey anymore

You will never have to be afraid. " --Everclear

----Original Message Follows----

swpgh01

Thu, 3 Jul 2003 17:24:39 GMT+01:00

Just out of interest,

Do any vegans eat vegan fodstuffs that imitate the meat versions ( e.g.

fishh flavoured fish fingers, meat flavoured burgers, chicken/turkey/ham

flavoured slices etc)? Personally I would not touch this sort of thing with

a barge pole, as it would only register some long past memory of eating the

real thing - and possibly sub conciously make me feel ill as a result.

Whilst everyone is entitled to their own views and opinions as long as they

do not harm or force their view on anyone else, I personally do not see the

point of going vegetarian/vegan then wanting to eat something that

tastes/looks like something that losts its life for that meal. Especially

when there are so many vegan alternatives/ingredients to make something more

compassionate.

What do you think?

The Valley Vegan........

Peter H

--------------------

talk21 your FREE portable and private address on the net at

http://www.talk21.com

The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE*

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

Guest guest

I used to have that same idea about not wanting to eat veggie bugers,

tofu dogs etc. I'd have rather had fruits, veggies, grains etc. Why

would I want to eat something that was meant to taste like dead

animals. As a kid I was in and out of veganism, lacto- or ovo-

vegetarianism back and forth. The taste of meat tended to make me

nauseous. Whatever phases I went thru of meat-eating were short-

lived. But as I grew up and actually when I went off to college

there was usually one veg -dish option in the cafeteria. You could

eat that or make a meat-free salad from the salad bar. One can only

eat so many salads. So eventually I broke down and started eating

veggie burgers and veggie dogs. I didn't think that they tasted like

animals though it'd been so long (at least five years since I had

gone thru a meat-eating stage around 13 yo). My husband who had

veggie burgers/ tofu dogs immediately after becoming veg said they

do. But I learned something along the way it was never the taste

that I didn't like or the taste that I couldn't stomach. It was

always the idea of eating some poor animals' carcass. If I eat a

veggie dog or veggie burger it doesn't bother me because I know its

just soy and vegetables. Though tuno on the other hand makes me sick

to my stomach. I must've legitimately not liked fish.

Renee

Guest guest

hi all

i kinda feel that i dont like veggie burgers............they are too like the real thing.................and i try to stick to leaves nuts pulses etc............but now and again i have to have a sausage sarnie..............a vegan one............with tom sauce.................

and i am off now to buy some soya cheese slices.............lol

catherine

>"Renee Carroll"

> > > Re: Animal Alternative Foodstuffs >Fri, 04 Jul 2003 19:08:36 -0000 > >I used to have that same idea about not wanting to eat veggie bugers, >tofu dogs etc. I'd have rather had fruits, veggies, grains etc. Why >would I want to eat something that was meant to taste like dead >animals. As a kid I was in and out of veganism, lacto- or ovo- >vegetarianism back and forth. The taste of meat tended to make me >nauseous. Whatever phases I went thru of meat-eating were short- >lived. But as I grew up and actually when I went off to college >there was usually one veg -dish option in the cafeteria. You could >eat that or make a meat-free salad from the salad bar. One can only >eat so many salads. So eventually I broke down and started eating >veggie burgers and veggie dogs. I didn't think that they tasted like >animals though it'd been so long (at least five years since I had >gone thru a meat-eating stage around 13 yo). My husband who had >veggie burgers/ tofu dogs immediately after becoming veg said they >do. But I learned something along the way it was never the taste >that I didn't like or the taste that I couldn't stomach. It was >always the idea of eating some poor animals' carcass. If I eat a >veggie dog or veggie burger it doesn't bother me because I know its >just soy and vegetables. Though tuno on the other hand makes me sick >to my stomach. I must've legitimately not liked fish. >Renee > If you love music, create your own online music collection with MSN Music Club.

Guest guest

hi valley vegan,

nice to hear from you, by the way.............on the subject of meat like edibles.........near me in london there is a buddhist cafe that does the whole range of chinese/thai food and its all vegan/soya based...................my partner went there, he is very into chinese food, and he didnt spot it was all vegan until i went there..........but it tastes too meaty!! too chickeny!! i couldnt eat the soya meat stuff..............my brain wasnt convinced it wasnt meat....ITWAS TOO CONVINCING

he ate mine and i ate rice and veg.................

catherine

>"Viv"

> >

>RE: Animal Alternative Foodstuffs >Fri, 4 Jul 2003 00:29:39 +0100 > >Tonight, I had fake chicken chow mein from the vegan place down Archway. >Twas wonderful. Been vegan 13 years, veggie 17. Probably tastes nothing like >chicken - my memory's not that good. > > > swpgh01 [swpgh01] > Thursday, July 03, 2003 6:25 PM > > Animal Alternative Foodstuffs > > > > Just out of interest, > Do any vegans eat vegan fodstuffs that imitate the meat versions ( e.g. >fishh flavoured fish fingers, meat flavoured burgers, chicken/turkey/ham >flavoured slices etc)? Personally I would not touch this sort of thing with >a barge pole, as it would only register some long past memory of eating the >real thing - and possibly sub conciously make me feel ill as a result. > Whilst everyone is entitled to their own views and opinions as long as >they do not harm or force their view on anyone else, I personally do not see >the point of going vegetarian/vegan then wanting to eat something that >tastes/looks like something that losts its life for that meal. Especially >when there are so many vegan alternatives/ingredients to make something more >compassionate. > What do you think? > The Valley Vegan........ > > Peter H > > >--- >Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. >Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). >Version: 6.0.491 / Virus Database: 290 - Release 18/06/03 Enjoy a faster internet experience when you sign up for a FREE BT Broadband connection!

Guest guest

my best treat of the month was.....i discovered vegan pesto sauce.........i have been having it on everything since, even new potatoes.................

catherine

>"Catherine Harris"

> > >RE: Animal Alternative Foodstuffs >Sat, 05 Jul 2003 15:30:32 +0000 > Looking for cheaper internet access? Choose from one of these great offers!

hi valley vegan,

nice to hear from you, by the way.............on the subject of meat like edibles.........near me in london there is a buddhist cafe that does the whole range of chinese/thai food and its all vegan/soya based...................my partner went there, he is very into chinese food, and he didnt spot it was all vegan until i went there..........but it tastes too meaty!! too chickeny!! i couldnt eat the soya meat stuff..............my brain wasnt convinced it wasnt meat....ITWAS TOO CONVINCING

he ate mine and i ate rice and veg.................

catherine

>"Viv"

> >

>RE: Animal Alternative Foodstuffs >Fri, 4 Jul 2003 00:29:39 +0100 > >Tonight, I had fake chicken chow mein from the vegan place down Archway. >Twas wonderful. Been vegan 13 years, veggie 17. Probably tastes nothing like >chicken - my memory's not that good. > > > swpgh01 [swpgh01] > Thursday, July 03, 2003 6:25 PM > > Animal Alternative Foodstuffs > > > > Just out of interest, > Do any vegans eat vegan fodstuffs that imitate the meat versions ( e.g. >fishh flavoured fish fingers, meat flavoured burgers, chicken/turkey/ham >flavoured slices etc)? Personally I would not touch this sort of thing with >a barge pole, as it would only register some long past memory of eating the >real thing - and possibly sub conciously make me feel ill as a result. > Whilst everyone is entitled to their own views and opinions as long as >they do not harm or force their view on anyone else, I personally do not see >the point of going vegetarian/vegan then wanting to eat something that >tastes/looks like something that losts its life for that meal. Especially >when there are so many vegan alternatives/ingredients to make something more >compassionate. > What do you think? > The Valley Vegan........ > > Peter H > > >--- >Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. >Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). >Version: 6.0.491 / Virus Database: 290 - Release 18/06/03 Enjoy a faster internet experience when you sign up for a FREE BT Broadband connection!

To send an email to -

Guest guest

-

Catherine Harris

Saturday, July 05, 2003 4:19 PM

Re: Re: Animal Alternative Foodstuffs

hi all

i kinda feel that i dont like veggie burgers............they are too like the real thing>

The way I look at it is..the animal burgers are made to look like anything but an animal....the burger is shaped as a convenant way to eat like a sandwich.

SJ

Guest guest

Colin makes lovely pesto sauce. He just whizzes together pine nuts, garlic, olive oil and basil leaves in a blender. It is gorgeous with pasta.

Jo

-

Catherine Harris

Saturday, July 05, 2003 4:33 PM

RE: Animal Alternative Foodstuffs

my best treat of the month was.....i discovered vegan pesto sauce.........i have been having it on everything since, even new potatoes.................

catherine

>"Catherine Harris"

> > >RE: Animal Alternative Foodstuffs >Sat, 05 Jul 2003 15:30:32 +0000 >

Looking for cheaper internet access? Choose from one of these great offers!

To send an email to -

Guest guest

I've been Vege for just over 8 months now. I did not go Vege because

I didn't like the taste of meat (quite the contrary), I did so out of

concern for the animals, health & environmental issues.

Frankly, I'm quite jealous of those who are sickened by eating

meat...that would make it SOOO easy to be Vege.

As I went Vege mainly because of concern for the animals, and

speaking as a Vege who sometimes misses what I grew up on, I am

extremely grateful there are alternatives out there. Not only for

me, but especially for others who may be interested in being Vege but

feal they are being punished by having so many things now forbidden

to them. This way they have something to at least partially fulfill

their meat cravings from time to time, making it easier to stay/be

Vege.

So, it seems to me that meat alternatives do absolutely no harm to

the animals, on the contrary, they make it easier for some people to

be Vege.

Just my point of view.

Take care,

Tammy

Guest guest

Well said Tammy - my point of view too (although I always preferred my veggies to meat).

Jo

-

kittytooo

Sunday, July 06, 2003 3:35 AM

Re: Animal Alternative Foodstuffs

I've been Vege for just over 8 months now. I did not go Vege because I didn't like the taste of meat (quite the contrary), I did so out of concern for the animals, health & environmental issues.Frankly, I'm quite jealous of those who are sickened by eating meat...that would make it SOOO easy to be Vege.As I went Vege mainly because of concern for the animals, and speaking as a Vege who sometimes misses what I grew up on, I am extremely grateful there are alternatives out there. Not only for me, but especially for others who may be interested in being Vege but feal they are being punished by having so many things now forbidden to them. This way they have something to at least partially fulfill their meat cravings from time to time, making it easier to stay/be Vege. So, it seems to me that meat alternatives do absolutely no harm to the animals, on the contrary, they make it easier for some people to be Vege.Just my point of view.Take care,Tammy

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Thanks. I always loved veggies too, and fruits, grains, nuts, etc. etc. Always loved and been open to trying just about anything. I especially love variety. That's helped....and hindered going Vege. Going Vege has taken away some of the old favorites but has also opened up a door to all kinds of new stuff I never knew about. For instance, I am absolutely hooked on hummus :} I had tried it once before going Vege, but only one brand that I didn't like much. After going Vege I tried more brands and found some I absolutely love. Also, I discovered a large co-op health food store I would never have gone to before and was just in awe of the selection of rices I never knew existed before. And the selection of Vege foods...after only shopping at regular grocery stores before..I was almost in tears :}

Take care,

Tammy

-

Heartwork

Sunday, July 06, 2003 10:39 AM

Well said Tammy - my point of view too (although I always preferred my veggies to meat).

Jo

-

kittytooo

Sunday, July 06, 2003 3:35 AM

I've been Vege for just over 8 months now. I did not go Vege because I didn't like the taste of meat (quite the contrary), I did so out of concern for the animals, health & environmental issues.Frankly, I'm quite jealous of those who are sickened by eating meat...that would make it SOOO easy to be Vege.As I went Vege mainly because of concern for the animals, and speaking as a Vege who sometimes misses what I grew up on, I am extremely grateful there are alternatives out there. Not only for me, but especially for others who may be interested in being Vege but feal they are being punished by having so many things now forbidden to them. This way they have something to at least partially fulfill their meat cravings from time to time, making it easier to stay/be Vege. So, it seems to me that meat alternatives do absolutely no harm to the animals, on the contrary, they make it easier for some people to be Vege.Just my point of view.Take care,Tammy

To send an email to -

Guest guest

kittytooo (tammy) wrote:

> I've been Vege for just over 8 months now. I did not go Vege because

> I didn't like the taste of meat (quite the contrary), I did so out of

> concern for the animals, health & environmental issues.

> Frankly, I'm quite jealous of those who are sickened by eating

> meat...that would make it SOOO easy to be Vege.

> As I went Vege mainly because of concern for the animals, and

> speaking as a Vege who sometimes misses what I grew up on, I am

> extremely grateful there are alternatives out there. Not only for

> me, but especially for others who may be interested in being Vege but

> feal they are being punished by having so many things now forbidden

> to them. This way they have something to at least partially fulfill

> their meat cravings from time to time, making it easier to stay/be

> Vege.

I think over time you will grow to get sickened at the thought of eating

meat. Thinking back to when I first went vegetarian about 14 years ago, I

did so because of the animal cruelty factor, but originally I did 'miss' not

being able to eat sausages, fish fingers, fish etc. Now, just writing those

words make me feel gross because when I picture myself eating fish, I see it

as a living animal. If I picture myself eating chicken I see it as a living

bird with feathers clucking about who deserves a life. When you are

conditioned to eat meat as a youngster growing up, I think a lot of the time

you don't really think about where it originated from and the harm involved.

You just think of the taste and that it's just food' and you like it. But

the more you think about the cruelty, and the more time that passes being

vegetarian or vegan, then the more you *do* get sickened. If you're jealous

of people who ARE sickened by eating meat, maybe pick up more leaflets about

what actually happens, with gruesome pictures, look on the net at all the

animal rights sites etc. The more you think of what actually happens to the

animal, the more you will go off wanting the taste of meat.

I eat bean burgers, vegeburgers and once in a while vegan sausages or

sausage rolls, but I've never been a bit eater of fake meat. I don't think I

could ever eat a tofurky for example. But I think it's great that these

products are there for people who do want to eat them. It certainly makes

things easier for people on the verge of becoming veggie/vegan or having

just gone through the transitional period.

<3

Shari Black Velvet

www.blackvelvetmagazine.com

Buy the PETA Liberation CD! - www.peta2.com - feat. Midtown, Good Charlotte,

frenzal Rhomb and other animal friendly bands.

Guest guest

Well put Danielle, I completely agree!

nikki :)

, " Danielle Kichler "

<veggietart@h...> wrote:

> I have no problem with the analogues. OK, maybe it's because I've

been veg

> a very short time. I think there's enough of a difference in most

foods

> that it really doesn't bother me. I don't think, " This is just

> <whatever animal product it resembles>. " I think, " This tastes

delicious. "

> Besides meat wouldn't have much of a flavor without all the

seasonings

> people add to it.

>

> Danielle

>

>

> " This is your American dream

> Everything is simple in the white and the black

> You will never need to see the grey anymore

> You will never have to be afraid. " --Everclear

>

>

>

>

>

> ----Original Message Follows----

> swpgh01@t...

>

>

> Animal Alternative Foodstuffs

> Thu, 3 Jul 2003 17:24:39 GMT+01:00

>

>

> Just out of interest,

> Do any vegans eat vegan fodstuffs that imitate the meat versions (

e.g.

> fishh flavoured fish fingers, meat flavoured burgers,

chicken/turkey/ham

> flavoured slices etc)? Personally I would not touch this sort of

thing with

> a barge pole, as it would only register some long past memory of

eating the

> real thing - and possibly sub conciously make me feel ill as a

result.

> Whilst everyone is entitled to their own views and opinions as long

as they

> do not harm or force their view on anyone else, I personally do not

see the

> point of going vegetarian/vegan then wanting to eat something that

> tastes/looks like something that losts its life for that meal.

Especially

> when there are so many vegan alternatives/ingredients to make

something more

> compassionate.

> What do you think?

> The Valley Vegan........

>

> Peter H

>

> --------------------

> talk21 your FREE portable and private address on the net at

> http://www.talk21.com

>

> _______________

> The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE*

> http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

Guest guest

i agree with you both

nikki :)

, " Heartwork " <Heartwork@o...> wrote:

> Well said Tammy - my point of view too (although I always preferred

my veggies to meat).

>

> Jo

> -

> kittytooo

>

> Sunday, July 06, 2003 3:35 AM

> Re: Animal Alternative Foodstuffs

>

>

> I've been Vege for just over 8 months now. I did not go Vege

because

> I didn't like the taste of meat (quite the contrary), I did so

out of

> concern for the animals, health & environmental issues.

>

> Frankly, I'm quite jealous of those who are sickened by eating

> meat...that would make it SOOO easy to be Vege.

>

> As I went Vege mainly because of concern for the animals, and

> speaking as a Vege who sometimes misses what I grew up on, I am

> extremely grateful there are alternatives out there. Not only

for

> me, but especially for others who may be interested in being Vege

but

> feal they are being punished by having so many things now

forbidden

> to them. This way they have something to at least partially

fulfill

> their meat cravings from time to time, making it easier to

stay/be

> Vege.

>

> So, it seems to me that meat alternatives do absolutely no harm

to

> the animals, on the contrary, they make it easier for some people

to

> be Vege.

>

> Just my point of view.

>

> Take care,

> Tammy

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

> I eat bean burgers, vegeburgers and once in a while vegan sausages or

> sausage rolls, but I've never been a bit eater of fake meat.>

I don't have a problem eating plant-type burgers

as it can be a convenient way to eat..and the burgers don't look like

animals ... it's the meat burgers that are made to look like anything but an

animal .....a burger is a burger.. the bun ( well bread any way) was born

before the mincing machines.

cheers

SJ

Guest guest

hi all,

recently, i allow myself the luxury of having veg from an organic farm delivered, its such a treat getting home from work on that day, i can tell you...........and humous........i have just had it for lunch...........

catherine

>"Tammy"

> >

>Re: Re: Animal Alternative Foodstuffs >Sun, 6 Jul 2003 11:41:37 -0500 > >Thanks. I always loved veggies too, and fruits, grains, nuts, etc. etc. Always loved and been open to trying just about anything. I especially love variety. That's helped....and hindered going Vege. Going Vege has taken away some of the old favorites but has also opened up a door to all kinds of new stuff I never knew about. For instance, I am absolutely hooked on hummus :} I had tried it once before going Vege, but only one brand that I didn't like much. After going Vege I tried more brands and found some I absolutely love. Also, I discovered a large co-op health food store I would never have gone to before and was just in awe of the selection of rices I never knew existed before. And the selection of Vege foods...after only shopping at regular grocery stores before..I was almost in tears :} > >Take care, >Tammy > - > Heartwork > > Sunday, July 06, 2003 10:39 AM > Re: Re: Animal Alternative Foodstuffs > > > Well said Tammy - my point of view too (although I always preferred my veggies to meat). > > Jo > - > kittytooo > > Sunday, July 06, 2003 3:35 AM > Re: Animal Alternative Foodstuffs > > > I've been Vege for just over 8 months now. I did not go Vege because > I didn't like the taste of meat (quite the contrary), I did so out of > concern for the animals, health & environmental issues. > > Frankly, I'm quite jealous of those who are sickened by eating > meat...that would make it SOOO easy to be Vege. > > As I went Vege mainly because of concern for the animals, and > speaking as a Vege who sometimes misses what I grew up on, I am > extremely grateful there are alternatives out there. Not only for > me, but especially for others who may be interested in being Vege but > feal they are being punished by having so many things now forbidden > to them. This way they have something to at least partially fulfill > their meat cravings from time to time, making it easier to stay/be > Vege. > > So, it seems to me that meat alternatives do absolutely no harm to > the animals, on the contrary, they make it easier for some people to > be Vege. > > Just my point of view. > > Take care, > Tammy > > > > > > To send an email to - > >

Guest guest

Catherine

I have a box delivered weekly as well - it is lovely to get the fresh organic veg. Hummous is my favourite food (Colin makes lovely hummous too).

Jo

recently, i allow myself the luxury of having veg from an organic farm delivered, its such a treat getting home from work on that day, i can tell you...........and humous........i have just had it for lunch...........

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.493 / Virus Database: 292 - Release 25/06/03

Guest guest

" simonpjones " <simonpjones wrote:

> I don't have a problem eating plant-type burgers

> as it can be a convenient way to eat..and the burgers don't look like

> animals ... it's the meat burgers that are made to look like anything but

an

> animal .....a burger is a burger.. the bun ( well bread any way) was born

> before the mincing machines.

I don't understand what you're trying to say with 'a burger is a burger'.

That's like saying 'a person is a person'. There are soooooooooo many

different types of people and some are good, some are bad, some are vegan,

some eat meat. You shouldn't class everything the same just because it's

form is similar to something else and because it shares the same name. I'm a

female like Myra Hindley was - does that make me an evil child abductor? I

can sort of see what you mean to a tiny degree - if I see a veganburger with

gristle and stuff, I'm less likely to want that to a beanburger where you

can see the beans and you know tastes a lot different.

And Tammy wrote:

> If you had read my previous reply more carefully you would know that I

went Vege because of what the animals go through.

Yeah, I *know* that's what you wrote, but I do think that even if you do go

veggie because of what animals go through, you can still not think about it

so much when it actually comes to wanting food. I became vegetarian 14yrs

ago because I suddenly started thinking about animal cruelty - but at the

same time, for a year or so after I was still missing the taste of various

meat-based meals. Although I wanted to do my bit for animals, I think when

you do suddenly stop eating them, it does take a while to get that thought

of liking the taste out of your head. But over time, you forget that

feeling, and by picturing the cruelty it does help. I think that's how it

happened for me anyway. Maybe I'm different and live on my own little world

with feelings that no-one else shares. lol.

<3

Shari Black Velvet

Guest guest

If you had read my previous reply more carefully you would know that I went Vege because of what the animals go through. I have seen lots of photos, videos, read lots of stories, etc. The idea of any animal having to suffer for me to eat meat does sicken me. The idea of eating something that tastes like meat, knowing that no animal had to suffer for it, does not.

I do expect that as I try more and more vegan recipes I will find more and more dishes that I like and will eat less of the meat substitutes. I know that would be best health-wise, as even fake meat is not the healthiest food

I guess it's just a matter of different mind-sets.

Take care,

Tammy

-

Shari

Sunday, July 06, 2003 4:36 PM

kittytooo (tammy) wrote:> I've been Vege for just over 8 months now. I did not go Vege because> I didn't like the taste of meat (quite the contrary), I did so out of> concern for the animals, health & environmental issues.> Frankly, I'm quite jealous of those who are sickened by eating> meat...that would make it SOOO easy to be Vege.> As I went Vege mainly because of concern for the animals, and> speaking as a Vege who sometimes misses what I grew up on, I am> extremely grateful there are alternatives out there. Not only for> me, but especially for others who may be interested in being Vege but> feal they are being punished by having so many things now forbidden> to them. This way they have something to at least partially fulfill> their meat cravings from time to time, making it easier to stay/be> Vege.I think over time you will grow to get sickened at the thought of eatingmeat. Thinking back to when I first went vegetarian about 14 years ago, Idid so because of the animal cruelty factor, but originally I did 'miss' notbeing able to eat sausages, fish fingers, fish etc. Now, just writing thosewords make me feel gross because when I picture myself eating fish, I see itas a living animal. If I picture myself eating chicken I see it as a livingbird with feathers clucking about who deserves a life. When you areconditioned to eat meat as a youngster growing up, I think a lot of the timeyou don't really think about where it originated from and the harm involved.You just think of the taste and that it's just food' and you like it. Butthe more you think about the cruelty, and the more time that passes beingvegetarian or vegan, then the more you *do* get sickened. If you're jealousof people who ARE sickened by eating meat, maybe pick up more leaflets aboutwhat actually happens, with gruesome pictures, look on the net at all theanimal rights sites etc. The more you think of what actually happens to theanimal, the more you will go off wanting the taste of meat.I eat bean burgers, vegeburgers and once in a while vegan sausages orsausage rolls, but I've never been a bit eater of fake meat. I don't think Icould ever eat a tofurky for example. But I think it's great that theseproducts are there for people who do want to eat them. It certainly makesthings easier for people on the verge of becoming veggie/vegan or havingjust gone through the transitional period.<3Shari Black Velvetwww.blackvelvetmagazine.comBuy the PETA Liberation CD! - www.peta2.com - feat. Midtown, Good Charlotte,frenzal Rhomb and other animal friendly bands.To send an email to -

Guest guest

Uh oh! Would you please share the Hummus recipe with us as well? (Sorry, but what did you expect?) :)

Oh, and make sure you thank Colin for me (us) as well.

Take care,

Tammy

-

Heartwork

Monday, July 07, 2003 1:00 PM

Catherine

I have a box delivered weekly as well - it is lovely to get the fresh organic veg. Hummous is my favourite food (Colin makes lovely hummous too).

Jo

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.493 / Virus Database: 292 - Release 25/06/03To send an email to -

Guest guest

Hi,

This is a bit off the original subject I guess, but personally I still

miss - and indeed dream of - eating meat, and as I was a vegetarian for

years (about ten I think) before becoming vegan fairly recently, if it wears

off, it is taking its time in my case! I don't think that makes me any

'worse' a person though - surely it is the act of eating animal products

which is bad, not the physical desire to do so (outweighed, in this case, by

a moral desire not to)? After all, there are lots of things we might do if

not for moral considerations. I think animals taste good, but that doesn't

mean I'm about to go eating them. It just means that it takes more

self-restraint to remain vegan/vegetarian than it would have done if I

couldn't stand the taste of meat.

So - fumbling his way back towards the relevant subject - if they make a

vegan burger which tastes like meat, then for me that is a good thing. It

doesn't harm an animal, but makes it much easier for people like me who miss

the taste of meat to remain vegan/vegetarian. In fact, the existence of such

products probably does a lot to persuade more people to become

vegan/vegetarian, as it means they can do so without having to give up

foods/tastes they like. Now if only someone could replicate the taste of a

barbeque pringle...

Ah, back to being more contentious again!

John

> Yeah, I *know* that's what you wrote, but I do think that even if you do

go

> veggie because of what animals go through, you can still not think about

it

> so much when it actually comes to wanting food. I became vegetarian 14yrs

> ago because I suddenly started thinking about animal cruelty - but at the

> same time, for a year or so after I was still missing the taste of various

> meat-based meals. Although I wanted to do my bit for animals, I think when

> you do suddenly stop eating them, it does take a while to get that thought

> of liking the taste out of your head. But over time, you forget that

> feeling, and by picturing the cruelty it does help. I think that's how it

> happened for me anyway. Maybe I'm different and live on my own little

world

> with feelings that no-one else shares. lol.

>

> <3

> Shari Black Velvet

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>