IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Would you? Could you? Should you?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Amylia,

I'm not a Christian so maybe I'm missing the point. But the argument that I get from Christians supporting meat eating is that the big-man upstairs put animals on the earth for humans use (inc eating). Is there a passage in the bible that explicitly states this, or, is it down to subjective interpretation? Is it that this passage only refers to seeds because 'he' hadn't got around to creating other animals yet? Sorry for asking possibly v. naive questions, but I want to be fully prepared for my next 'lively debate' with my brother who happens to be a Christian meat-eater (interesting how siblings can be so different).

I'll certainly look at the web-site you suggested,

Many thanks

;-) Jani

-

Amylia F

Sunday, May 04, 2003 6:03 PM

Re: Would you? Could you?

Jani,

Without getting too religious on you, I guess I just keep thinking of Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden. I know religion is seen as a philosophy itself, but in the Bible Genesis 1:29-30 God tells Adam and Eve that He has given them all the seed-bearing plants, and fruit trees for food. And the birds and animals get all the grass and plants for their food.---Like I said, I'm NOT trying to preach, just wanted you to know where I was coming from. (I just wish I liked fruit more. Apples, bananas, and grapes are okay, but everything else, ....yuck!) Now, as I write this, I'm thinking something: I've seen carrot seeds in the store, but when I eat a carrot, there's no seed inside, like apples, or oranges. How is this possible? I don't understand.

*This message was brought to you by: Amy

>

> >

>Re: Would you? Could you? >Sat, 3 May 2003 17:34:23 +0100 > >Well Amy, I do remember seeing a 'Tales of the Unexpected' story where a man chopping down a tree could hear it screaming - I think it drove him bonkers. Actually that's the only thing I remember about the episode, so if anyone knows the rest, perhaps they could enlighten us! >Perhaps the dilemmas that you've highlighted could explain raw food eaters. Or is that a different philosophy altogether? > >Jani > >P.S. There was another story about a bee-keeper - I can't remember much about that either!!! > - > Amylia F > > Saturday, May 03, 2003 4:57 PM > Would you? Could you? > > > I just finished reading all the postings on "honey." See, that's why I love you guys. You always have something thought-provoking to say, and I just eat it up. (Yum!) And now, I've already asked a similar question to this but, would you, or could you become a fruitarian? I heard about them 7 years ago. I found their official website, but haven't had the hours to go through it. I'm attracted to them, because it just seems so "pure." (I've even heard they refuse to pick fruit off trees, but instead wait for it to fall to the ground----that way it's no longer connected to the source of life, the tree. Once it's on the ground, it's a product of the tree.---See the difference?) Like I said, it seems pure, because there are people that believe eating carrots is murder. ---Why? Because they are pulled out from under the ground, thus ending their life, un like apples which are a product of the tree, not the tree itself. And another thing, I did once have this guy tell me that eating vegetables hurts plants. I know plants do not have a face, but do they have feelings? --Well, I feel funny just asking that question. But does anyone feel they are "killing" plants at all? Or maybe choosing the lesser of two evils by eating plants instead of animals?---Just wondering... > > > > *This message was brought to you by: Amy > > > > The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE* >

Guest guest

-

janewwt

Monday, May 05, 2003 8:01 AM

Re: Would you? Could you? Should you?

Amylia,

I'm not a Christian so maybe I'm missing the point. But the argument that I get from Christians supporting meat eating is that the big-man upstairs put animals on the earth for humans use (inc eating). Is there a passage in the bible that explicitly states this, or, is it down to subjective interpretation?

;-) Jani>

Sorry to butt in here.. I don't know if you have access to a bible, if you do, read GEN 1:29 the sixth day. I't clearly says that humans should eat from the seed bearing plants and from the fruit trees...it also says clearly that animals should eat the plants and that everything that has the breath of life in it should eat the green plants...it's clearly saying (if I understand simple english) that not even animals should eat animals. Later on after the flood, the bible says animal eating is ok,...i'ts assumed after such a flood there wouldn't be much fruit to eat. I say if a creator wanted plants to be the food for animals and humans in the beginning, then christians should at least aspire to the plant foods and i't shouldn't mean giving up humous,chocolate, soya ice-cream etc as these come from plant type foods.

Simon

Message -----

Amylia F

Jani,

Without getting too religious on you, I guess I just keep thinking of Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden. I know religion is seen as a philosophy itself, but in the Bible Genesis 1:29-30 God tells Adam and Eve that He has given them all the seed-bearing plants, and fruit trees for food. And the birds and animals get all the grass and plants for their food.---Like I said, I'm NOT trying to preach, just wanted you to know where I was coming from. (I just wish I liked fruit more. Apples, bananas, and grapes are okay, but everything else, ....yuck!) Now, as I write this, I'm thinking something: I've seen carrot seeds in the store, but when I eat a carrot, there's no seed inside, like apples, or oranges. How is this possible? I don't understand.

>

> >

>Re: Would you? Could you? >Sat, 3 May 2003 17:34:23 +0100 > >Well Amy, I do remember seeing a 'Tales of the Unexpected' story where a man chopping down a tree could hear it screaming - I think it drove him bonkers. Actually that's the only thing I remember about the episode, so if anyone knows the rest, perhaps they could enlighten us! >Perhaps the dilemmas that you've highlighted could explain raw food eaters. Or is that a different philosophy altogether? > >Jani > >P.S. There was another story about a bee-keeper - I can't remember much about that either!!! > - > Amylia F > > Saturday, May 03, 2003 4:57 PM > Would you? Could you? > > > I just finished reading all the postings on "honey." See, that's why I love you guys. You always have something thought-provoking to say, and I just eat it up. (Yum!) And now, I've already asked a similar question to this but, would you, or could you become a fruitarian? I heard about them 7 years ago. I found their official website, but haven't had the hours to go through it. I'm attracted to them, because it just seems so "pure." (I've even heard they refuse to pick fruit off trees, but instead wait for it to fall to the ground----that way it's no longer connected to the source of life, the tree. Once it's on the ground, it's a product of the tree.---See the difference?) Like I said, it seems pure, because there are people that believe eating carrots is murder. ---Why? Because they are pulled out from under the ground, thus ending their life, un like apples which are a product of the tree, not the tree itself. And another thing, I did once have this guy tell me that eating vegetables hurts plants. I know plants do not have a face, but do they have feelings? --Well, I feel funny just asking that question. But does anyone feel they are "killing" plants at all? Or maybe choosing the lesser of two evils by eating plants instead of animals?---Just wondering... > > > > *This message was brought to you by: Amy > > > > The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE* >

Guest guest

interpretation

the bible is full of contradictions...

in genesis it sez "all the plants and nuts will be as your meat"(i'm paraphrasing.), and a few other places veggieness is definately touted(its a very essene thought)..

its in places like after the flood that god allows noah to eat animals.....

In a message dated 5/5/03 12:07:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time, janewwt writes:

I'm not a Christian so maybe I'm missing the point. But the argument that I get from Christians supporting meat eating is that the big-man upstairs put animals on the earth for humans use (inc eating). Is there a passage in the bible that explicitly states this, or, is it down to subjective interpretation? Is it that this passage only refers to seeds because 'he' hadn't got around to creating other animals yet? Sorry for asking possibly v. naive questions, but I want to be fully prepared for my next 'lively debate' with my brother who happens to be a Christian meat-eater (interesting how siblings can be so different).

Guest guest

, then christians should at least aspire to the plant foods and i't

shouldn't mean giving up humous,chocolate, soya ice-cream etc as

these come from plant type foods.

>

What's god got to say about food miles, overpackaging and

processing, labour exploitation, cash crops, genetically modified

crops and monocultural growing systems leading to soil erosion and

nitrate build ups in the ground water as entailed in the commercial

mass production of cocoa, soya and chick peas???

Guest guest

> Later on after the flood, the bible says animal eating is ok,...i'ts assumed after such a flood there wouldn't be much fruit to eat.

Save all the animals to eat them later eh? Why didn't Noah think about throwing a few bags of seeds & grains in the ark as well?

Thanks Simon - Maybe I should have kept my bible for times like these!

Jani

P.S. - most popular food item on site - CHOCOLATE - kept it up!

-

simonpjones

Monday, May 05, 2003 11:25 AM

-

janewwt

Amylia,

I'm not a Christian so maybe I'm missing the point. But the argument that I get from Christians supporting meat eating is that the big-man upstairs put animals on the earth for humans use (inc eating). Is there a passage in the bible that explicitly states this, or, is it down to subjective interpretation?

;-) Jani>

Sorry to butt in here.. I don't know if you have access to a bible, if you do, read GEN 1:29 the sixth day. I't clearly says that humans should eat from the seed bearing plants and from the fruit trees...it also says clearly that animals should eat the plants and that everything that has the breath of life in it should eat the green plants...it's clearly saying (if I understand simple english) that not even animals should eat animals. Later on after the flood, the bible says animal eating is ok,...i'ts assumed after such a flood there wouldn't be much fruit to eat. I say if a creator wanted plants to be the food for animals and humans in the beginning, then christians should at least aspire to the plant foods and i't shouldn't mean giving up humous,chocolate, soya ice-cream etc as these come from plant type foods.

Simon

Message -----

Amylia F

Jani,

>

> >

Guest guest

In a message dated 5/5/03 4:30:04 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tuliratsu writes:

If you really want to know what God has to say about that then you should read Converstation with God books by Neale Donald Walsch. They do talk about that issue too.

Neale has a hot line to God? man, i bet Swaggard and Falwell would pay a pretty penny fer that....

*tongue firmly in cheek*

Guest guest

its a misinterpretation of dominion

in the sense it was intended, dominion was used in the same way you'd looked after yer lil sister...

now, if you lock yer lil sister in a cage and then have her slaughtered, i think Interpol is outside and would like to have a word with you...

In a message dated 5/5/03 4:52:33 AM Pacific Daylight Time, veggietart writes:

From my limited knowledge of creationism (which totally ignores the

existence of dinosaurs, but that's for another discussion), all the other

animals were created on the fourth or fifth day, the humans on the sixth.

The argument meat-eating x-tians use is "god gave humans dominion over the

animals," although I have no idea where that appears. I can only guess that

someone misinterpreted that as "domination,"

Guest guest

*sigh*

just look at it this way, strive to cause as little damage to you and yours, help those around you, remember that YOU are not the only creature on this greying orb. Try and leave as small a footprint as possible, educate yerself, and those around you..and remember, there is no easy answer, except to try

:)

fraggle

Guest guest

From my limited knowledge of creationism (which totally ignores the

existence of dinosaurs, but that's for another discussion), all the other

animals were created on the fourth or fifth day, the humans on the sixth.

The argument meat-eating x-tians use is " god gave humans dominion over the

animals, " although I have no idea where that appears. I can only guess that

someone misinterpreted that as " domination, " based on the way we treat them.

However, you could certainly argue that since we are the only creatures

given free will, we can decide if we will be stewards or pillagers of the

earth. We can use our dominion for good or for evil. The modern food

animal industries use their powers for evil, to cause great harm to other

creatures.

Danielle

" You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake " --Jeanette Rankin

----Original Message Follows----

<janewwt

Mon, 5 May 2003 08:01:17 +0100

Amylia,

I'm not a Christian so maybe I'm missing the point. But the

argument that I get from Christians supporting meat eating is that the

big-man upstairs put animals on the earth for humans use (inc eating). Is

there a passage in the bible that explicitly states this, or, is it down to

subjective interpretation? Is it that this passage only refers to seeds

because 'he' hadn't got around to creating other animals yet? Sorry for

asking possibly v. naive questions, but I want to be fully prepared for my

next 'lively debate' with my brother who happens to be a Christian

meat-eater (interesting how siblings can be so different).

Many thanks

;-) Jani

-

Amylia F

Jani,

Without getting too religious on you, I guess I just keep thinking

of Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden. I know religion is seen as a

philosophy itself, but in the Bible Genesis 1:29-30 God tells Adam and Eve

that He has given them all the seed-bearing plants, and fruit trees for

food. And the birds and animals get all the grass and plants for their

food.---Like I said, I'm NOT trying to preach, just wanted you to know where

I was coming from. (I just wish I liked fruit more. Apples, bananas, and

grapes are okay, but everything else, ....yuck!) Now, as I write this, I'm

thinking something: I've seen carrot seeds in the store, but when I eat a

carrot, there's no seed inside, like apples, or oranges. How is this

possible? I don't understand.

>

>

>To:

>Re: Would you? Could you?

>Sat, 3 May 2003 17:34:23 +0100

>

>Well Amy, I do remember seeing a 'Tales of the Unexpected' story where a

man chopping down a tree could hear it screaming - I think it drove him

bonkers. Actually that's the only thing I remember about the episode, so if

anyone knows the rest, perhaps they could enlighten us!

>Perhaps the dilemmas that you've highlighted could explain raw food

eaters. Or is that a different philosophy altogether?

>

>Jani

>

>P.S. There was another story about a bee-keeper - I can't remember much

about that either!!!

> -

> Amylia F

>

> Saturday, May 03, 2003 4:57 PM

> Would you? Could you?

>

>

> I just finished reading all the postings on " honey. " See, that's why I

love you guys. You always have something thought-provoking to say, and I

just eat it up. (Yum!) And now, I've already asked a similar question to

this but, would you, or could you become a fruitarian? I heard about them 7

years ago. I found their official website, but haven't had the hours to go

through it. I'm attracted to them, because it just seems so " pure. " (I've

even heard they refuse to pick fruit off trees, but instead wait for it to

fall to the ground----that way it's no longer connected to the source of

life, the tree. Once it's on the ground, it's a product of the tree.---See

the difference?) Like I said, it seems pure, because there are people that

believe eating carrots is murder. ---Why? Because they are pulled out from

under the ground, thus ending their life, un like apples which are a product

of the tree, not the tree itself. And another thing, I did once have this

guy tell me that eating vegetables hurts plants. I know plants do not have a

face, but do they have feelings? --Well, I feel funny just asking that

question. But does anyone feel they are " killing " plants at all? Or maybe

choosing the lesser of two evils by eating plants instead of animals?---Just

wondering...

>

>

>

> *This message was brought to you by: Amy

>

>

>

> The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE*

>

Guest guest

In a message dated 5/5/03 6:04:32 AM Pacific Daylight Time, vegecentric writes:

The Aztecs reckoned chocolate was "food of the gods". If god sits around

stuffing his face with chocolate all day, then he's alright with me.

Tom

yeah, but the Aztec gawds had a penchant fer the beating hearts of victims as well....

i'll have to pass on that one...

you've got heart in my chocolate, you're chocolate is on my heart!

hey, two great tastes

ugh

Guest guest

God says "seek and ye shall find, but you might have to go to the supermarket to find it".

Viv

quercusrobur2002 [grahamburnett]Monday, May 05, 2003 12:13 PM Subject: Re: Would you? Could you? Should you?, then christians should at least aspire to the plant foods and i't shouldn't mean giving up humous,chocolate, soya ice-cream etc as these come from plant type foods.> What's god got to say about food miles, overpackaging and processing, labour exploitation, cash crops, genetically modified crops and monocultural growing systems leading to soil erosion and nitrate build ups in the ground water as entailed in the commercial mass production of cocoa, soya and chick peas???

Guest guest

They don't actually make straight-jackets anymore. But why is someone conversing with god religious & someone conversing with fairies insane?

-

Vegecentric

Tuesday, May 06, 2003 6:17 AM

Re: Re: Would you? Could you? Should you?

Conversations with God... conjures up images of a drooling man in a straight-jacket gibbering to himself...

(Born Again Atheist)

-

Marit

Monday, May 05, 2003 4:31 AM

If you really want to know what God has to say about that then you should read Converstation with God books by Neale Donald Walsch. They do talk about that issue too.

-

quercusrobur2002

Monday, May 05, 2003 2:12 PM

, then christians should at least aspire to the plant foods and i't shouldn't mean giving up humous,chocolate, soya ice-cream etc as these come from plant type foods.> What's god got to say about food miles, overpackaging and processing, labour exploitation, cash crops, genetically modified crops and monocultural growing systems leading to soil erosion and nitrate build ups in the ground water as entailed in the commercial mass production of cocoa, soya and chick peas???To send an email to -

Guest guest

, " Marit " <tuliratsu@h...> wrote:

> If you really want to know what God has to say about that then you

should read Converstation with God books by Neale Donald Walsch.

They do talk about that issue too.

TBH I was more interested in what Simon had to say about it...

Graham :-)

Guest guest

-

" quercusrobur2002 " <grahamburnett

Monday, May 05, 2003 12:12 PM

> , then christians should at least aspire to the plant foods and i't

> shouldn't mean giving up humous,chocolate, soya ice-cream etc as

> these come from plant type foods.

> >

>

>>>>

> processing, labour exploitation, cash crops, genetically modified

> crops and monocultural growing systems leading to soil erosion and

> nitrate build ups in the ground water as entailed in the commercial

> mass production of cocoa, soya and chick peas???

>

I'm no expert but couldn't soya, cocoa etc be grown locally in poly

tunnels basically anywhere in the world?.

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

Guest guest

> I'm no expert but couldn't soya, cocoa etc be grown locally in

poly

> tunnels basically anywhere in the world?.

>

OK then, what's god got to say about the petrochemical industry and

the wars for oil which enable us to generate the plastic in order to

cover the globe with huge polytunnels?

Guest guest

-

Marit

Monday, May 05, 2003 12:31 PM

It's good to read peoples views, I would advise people who can read, to read what the bible says as it's very simple wording and very simple in it's meanin,g. the sixth day passage anyway. Putting that into action whether christian or not would bring about the peace on earth that so many people want.

-

quercusrobur2002

, then christians should at least aspire to the plant foods and i't shouldn't mean giving up humous,chocolate, soya ice-cream etc as these come from plant type foods.> What's god got to say about food miles, overpackaging and processing, labour exploitation, cash crops, genetically modified crops and monocultural growing systems leading to soil erosion and nitrate build ups in the ground water as entailed in the commercial mass production of cocoa, soya and chick peas???To send an email to -

Guest guest

-

janewwt

Monday, May 05, 2003 12:23 PM

>Save all the animals to eat them later eh? Why didn't Noah think about throwing a few bags of seeds & grains in the ark as well?

I'm not saying I agree with it, but that's what it says.

My main argument with so called christians is, why not go with what the creator first wanted. in the beginning.

-

simonpjones

-

janewwt

Amylia,

;-) Jani>

Simon

Message -----

Amylia F

Jani,

>

> >

Guest guest

-

" Danielle Kichler " <veggietart

Monday, May 05, 2003 12:51 PM

> From my limited knowledge of creationism (which totally ignores the

> existence of dinosaurs,>

I can't see how dinosaurs are ignored. Are they not part of the " every

creature that moves along the ground " that are mentioned on the fifth and

sixth day.Crocodiles and kangaroos are not mentioned either.

Not forgetting, it's reckoned that only about 10% of known creatures exist

today.>

> The argument meat-eating x-tians use is " god gave humans dominion over the

> animals, " although I have no idea where that appears. I can only guess

that

> someone misinterpreted that as " domination, " based on the way we treat

them.>

Bible Quote. Genesis 1:28 " God blessed them and said to them, " Be fruitful

and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of

the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves

on the ground. "

29-Then God said " I give you every seed- bearing plant on the face of the

whole earth and every tree that has seed in it. They will be yours for

food.30- And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and

all the creatures that move on the ground - everything that moves on the

ground - I give every green plant for food. " and it was so.

I can't see how anyone can say it's saying anything other then we and

animals should be eating plant type foods.

Some Bibles use the word dominion some rule etc,

> However, you could certainly argue that since we are the only creatures

> given free will, we can decide if we will be stewards or pillagers of the

> earth. We can use our dominion for good or for evil. The modern food

> animal industries use their powers for evil, to cause great harm to other

> creatures.

>

> Danielle

>

>

>

> " You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake " --Jeanette

Rankin

>

>

>

>

>

> ----Original Message Follows----

> <janewwt

>

>

> Re: Would you? Could you? Should you?

> Mon, 5 May 2003 08:01:17 +0100

>

> Amylia,

> I'm not a Christian so maybe I'm missing the point. But the

> argument that I get from Christians supporting meat eating is that the

> big-man upstairs put animals on the earth for humans use (inc eating). Is

> there a passage in the bible that explicitly states this, or, is it down

to

> subjective interpretation? Is it that this passage only refers to seeds

> because 'he' hadn't got around to creating other animals yet? Sorry for

> asking possibly v. naive questions, but I want to be fully prepared for my

> next 'lively debate' with my brother who happens to be a Christian

> meat-eater (interesting how siblings can be so different).

> I'll certainly look at the web-site you suggested,

>

> Many thanks

>

> ;-) Jani

> -

> Amylia F

>

> Sunday, May 04, 2003 6:03 PM

> Re: Would you? Could you?

>

>

> Jani,

>

> Without getting too religious on you, I guess I just keep

thinking

> of Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden. I know religion is seen as a

> philosophy itself, but in the Bible Genesis 1:29-30 God tells Adam and Eve

> that He has given them all the seed-bearing plants, and fruit trees for

> food. And the birds and animals get all the grass and plants for their

> food.---Like I said, I'm NOT trying to preach, just wanted you to know

where

> I was coming from. (I just wish I liked fruit more. Apples, bananas, and

> grapes are okay, but everything else, ....yuck!) Now, as I write this,

I'm

> thinking something: I've seen carrot seeds in the store, but when I eat a

> carrot, there's no seed inside, like apples, or oranges. How is this

> possible? I don't understand.

>

> >

> >

> >To:

> >Re: Would you? Could you?

> >Sat, 3 May 2003 17:34:23 +0100

> >

> >Well Amy, I do remember seeing a 'Tales of the Unexpected' story where

a

> man chopping down a tree could hear it screaming - I think it drove him

> bonkers. Actually that's the only thing I remember about the episode, so

if

> anyone knows the rest, perhaps they could enlighten us!

> >Perhaps the dilemmas that you've highlighted could explain raw food

> eaters. Or is that a different philosophy altogether?

> >

> >Jani

> >

> >P.S. There was another story about a bee-keeper - I can't remember

much

> about that either!!!

> > -

> > Amylia F

> >

> > Saturday, May 03, 2003 4:57 PM

> > Would you? Could you?

> >

> >

> > I just finished reading all the postings on " honey. " See, that's why

I

> love you guys. You always have something thought-provoking to say, and I

> just eat it up. (Yum!) And now, I've already asked a similar question to

> this but, would you, or could you become a fruitarian? I heard about them

> years ago. I found their official website, but haven't had the hours to go

> through it. I'm attracted to them, because it just seems so " pure. " (I've

> even heard they refuse to pick fruit off trees, but instead wait for it to

> fall to the ground----that way it's no longer connected to the source of

> life, the tree. Once it's on the ground, it's a product of the tree.---See

> the difference?) Like I said, it seems pure, because there are people that

> believe eating carrots is murder. ---Why? Because they are pulled out from

> under the ground, thus ending their life, un like apples which are a

product

> of the tree, not the tree itself. And another thing, I did once have this

> guy tell me that eating vegetables hurts plants. I know plants do not have

a

> face, but do they have feelings? --Well, I feel funny just asking that

> question. But does anyone feel they are " killing " plants at all? Or maybe

> choosing the lesser of two evils by eating plants instead of

animals?---Just

> wondering...

> >

> >

> >

> > *This message was brought to you by: Amy

> >

> >

>

>

>---------

---

> > The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE*

> >

Guest guest

-

" quercusrobur2002 " <grahamburnett

Monday, May 05, 2003 1:49 PM

>

> >

> OK then, what's god got to say about the petrochemical industry and

> the wars for oil which enable us to generate the plastic in order to

> cover the globe with huge polytunnels?>

Could not solar-power and vegetable-oil or other more sustainable and a lot

less destructible sources of power be used for producing plastics?

and I see God more as a symbolic name for good as the two words are

related.

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

Guest guest

Thanks to you all for help with my questions.

Little bruv, beware when you start up with your religious arguments again!!!!

Jani

-

simonpjones

Monday, May 05, 2003 2:09 PM

-

janewwt

>Save all the animals to eat them later eh? Why didn't Noah think about throwing a few bags of seeds & grains in the ark as well?

My main argument with so called christians is, why not go with what the creator first wanted. in the beginning.

-

simonpjones

-

janewwt

Amylia,

;-) Jani>

Simon

Message -----

Amylia F

Jani,

>

> >

Guest guest

-

EBbrewpunx

Monday, May 05, 2003 4:10 PM

interpretationthe bible is full of contradictions...in genesis it sez "all the plants and nuts will be as your meat"(i'm paraphrasing.), and a few other places veggieness is definately touted(its a very essene thought)..>

The word 'meat' in Hebrew means 'food'.....

Bibles are made up of sixty six books over a long period of time..I'm not convinced that the powers that be( leader etc ) havn't changed some of the meanings and stories to suit themselves.

But l do believe Genesis 1;28...the sixth day paragragh... is the key to a truly civilized world.

S

its in places like after the flood that god allows noah to eat animals.....In a message dated 5/5/03 12:07:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time, janewwt writes:

I'm not a Christian so maybe I'm missing the point. But the argument that I get from Christians supporting meat eating is that the big-man upstairs put animals on the earth for humans use (inc eating). Is there a passage in the bible that explicitly states this, or, is it down to subjective interpretation? Is it that this passage only refers to seeds because 'he' hadn't got around to creating other animals yet? Sorry for asking possibly v. naive questions, but I want to be fully prepared for my next 'lively debate' with my brother who happens to be a Christian meat-eater (interesting how siblings can be so different).I'll certainly look at the web-site you suggested, To send an email to -

Guest guest

-

janewwt

Monday, May 05, 2003 4:42 PM

Thanks to you all for help with my questions.

Little bruv, beware when you start up with your religious arguments again!!!!

Big sis, mine is not a religious argument, more a finding of a practical answer to uncivilized human behaviour,

Simon

Jani

-

simonpjones

Monday, May 05, 2003 2:09 PM

-

janewwt

-

simonpjones

-

janewwt

Amylia,

;-) Jani>

Simon

Message -----

Amylia F

Jani,

>

> >

Guest guest

hi all,

what stories/gospels went into the new testament was decided by a council of bishops in rome in circa 500 ad.........lots of more radical eg less mysogynistic stuff was left out.......it all a matter of opinion, and like facts/stories anywhere, can be bent to show any point of view you need.....

catherine

>"simonpjones"

> >

>Re: Would you? Could you? Should you? >Mon, 5 May 2003 20:24:28 +0100 > > > - > EBbrewpunx > > Monday, May 05, 2003 4:10 PM > Re: Would you? Could you? Should you? > > > interpretation > the bible is full of contradictions... > in genesis it sez "all the plants and nuts will be as your meat"(i'm paraphrasing.), and a few other places veggieness is definately touted(its a very essene thought)..> > > The word 'meat' in Hebrew means 'food'..... > > Bibles are made up of sixty six books over a long period of time..I'm not convinced that the powers that be( leader etc ) havn't changed some of the meanings and stories to suit themselves. > But l do believe Genesis 1;28...the sixth day paragragh... is the key to a truly civilized world. > > S > > its in places like after the flood that god allows noah to eat animals..... > > > In a message dated 5/5/03 12:07:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time, janewwt writes: > > > I'm not a Christian so maybe I'm missing the point. But the argument that I get from Christians supporting meat eating is that the big-man upstairs put animals on the earth for humans use (inc eating). Is there a passage in the bible that explicitly states this, or, is it down to subjective interpretation? Is it that this passage only refers to seeds because 'he' hadn't got around to creating other animals yet? Sorry for asking possibly v. naive questions, but I want to be fully prepared for my next 'lively debate' with my brother who happens to be a Christian meat-eater (interesting how siblings can be so different). > I'll certainly look at the web-site you suggested, > > > > >

Guest guest

When we talk to god, we're praying, but when god talks to us, we're

schizophrenic.

The Mad Vegan Agnostic.

" Vegecentric " <vegecentric

Mon, 5 May 2003 22:17:02 -0700

Conversations with God... conjures up images of a drooling man in a

straight-jacket gibbering to himself...

(Born Again Atheist)

-

Marit

Monday, May 05, 2003 4:31 AM

If you really want to know what God has to say about that then you should

read Converstation with God books by Neale Donald Walsch. They do talk about

that issue too.

-

quercusrobur2002

, then christians should at least aspire to the plant foods and i't

shouldn't mean giving up humous,chocolate, soya ice-cream etc as

these come from plant type foods.

>

What's god got to say about food miles, overpackaging and

processing, labour exploitation, cash crops, genetically modified

crops and monocultural growing systems leading to soil erosion and

nitrate build ups in the ground water as entailed in the commercial

mass production of cocoa, soya and chick peas???

To send an email to -

Guest guest

The humans and the dinosaurs never coexisted. Scientific research has shown

that dinosaurs died out millions of years before the first human set food on

the ground.

Danielle

" simonpjones " <simonpjones

Mon, 5 May 2003 14:54:04 +0100

-

" Danielle Kichler " <veggietart

Monday, May 05, 2003 12:51 PM

> From my limited knowledge of creationism (which totally ignores the

> existence of dinosaurs,>

I can't see how dinosaurs are ignored. Are they not part of the " every

creature that moves along the ground " that are mentioned on the fifth and

sixth day.Crocodiles and kangaroos are not mentioned either.

Not forgetting, it's reckoned that only about 10% of known creatures exist

today.>

> The argument meat-eating x-tians use is " god gave humans dominion over

the

> animals, " although I have no idea where that appears. I can only guess

that

> someone misinterpreted that as " domination, " based on the way we treat

them.>

Bible Quote. Genesis 1:28 " God blessed them and said to them, " Be fruitful

and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of

the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves

on the ground. "

29-Then God said " I give you every seed- bearing plant on the face of the

whole earth and every tree that has seed in it. They will be yours for

food.30- And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and

all the creatures that move on the ground - everything that moves on the

ground - I give every green plant for food. " and it was so.

I can't see how anyone can say it's saying anything other then we and

animals should be eating plant type foods.

Some Bibles use the word dominion some rule etc,

> However, you could certainly argue that since we are the only creatures

> given free will, we can decide if we will be stewards or pillagers of the

> earth. We can use our dominion for good or for evil. The modern food

> animal industries use their powers for evil, to cause great harm to other

> creatures.

>

> Danielle

>

>

>

> " You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake " --Jeanette

Rankin

>

>

>

>

>

> ----Original Message Follows----

> <janewwt

>

>

> Re: Would you? Could you? Should you?

> Mon, 5 May 2003 08:01:17 +0100

>

> Amylia,

> I'm not a Christian so maybe I'm missing the point. But the

> argument that I get from Christians supporting meat eating is that the

> big-man upstairs put animals on the earth for humans use (inc eating). Is

> there a passage in the bible that explicitly states this, or, is it down

to

> subjective interpretation? Is it that this passage only refers to seeds

> because 'he' hadn't got around to creating other animals yet? Sorry for

> asking possibly v. naive questions, but I want to be fully prepared for

my

> next 'lively debate' with my brother who happens to be a Christian

> meat-eater (interesting how siblings can be so different).

> I'll certainly look at the web-site you suggested,

>

> Many thanks

>

> ;-) Jani

> -

> Amylia F

>

> Sunday, May 04, 2003 6:03 PM

> Re: Would you? Could you?

>

>

> Jani,

>

> Without getting too religious on you, I guess I just keep

thinking

> of Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden. I know religion is seen as a

> philosophy itself, but in the Bible Genesis 1:29-30 God tells Adam and

Eve

> that He has given them all the seed-bearing plants, and fruit trees for

> food. And the birds and animals get all the grass and plants for their

> food.---Like I said, I'm NOT trying to preach, just wanted you to know

where

> I was coming from. (I just wish I liked fruit more. Apples, bananas, and

> grapes are okay, but everything else, ....yuck!) Now, as I write this,

I'm

> thinking something: I've seen carrot seeds in the store, but when I eat

a

> carrot, there's no seed inside, like apples, or oranges. How is this

> possible? I don't understand.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> *This message was brought to you by: Amy

> >

> >

> >To:

> >Re: Would you? Could you?

> >Sat, 3 May 2003 17:34:23 +0100

> >

> >Well Amy, I do remember seeing a 'Tales of the Unexpected' story

where

a

> man chopping down a tree could hear it screaming - I think it drove him

> bonkers. Actually that's the only thing I remember about the episode, so

if

> anyone knows the rest, perhaps they could enlighten us!

> >Perhaps the dilemmas that you've highlighted could explain raw food

> eaters. Or is that a different philosophy altogether?

> >

> >Jani

> >

> >P.S. There was another story about a bee-keeper - I can't remember

much

> about that either!!!

> > -

> > Amylia F

> >

> > Saturday, May 03, 2003 4:57 PM

> > Would you? Could you?

> >