IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

What's for dinner?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

no idea....dinner isn't for another few hours, and haven't planned anything...

last nite was spinach linguini, with olive oil, zuchinni, garlic, tomatoes and brocolli

jo Oct 5, 2006 3:11 PM What's for dinner?

What is everyone having for dinner tonight?

We're a hit late starting, so we're having a spaghetti bolognese. Colin is cooking it and I am being lazy. I went to the osteopath today for a treatment. She said you can't really dislocate your hip but it seems I had a good try! Anyway, it's always achey after a treatment, but it feels looser and less painful - so fingers-crossed.

Jo

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas

Guest guest

stew and dumplings The Valley Vegan..........jo <jo.heartwork wrote: What is everyone having for dinner tonight? We're a hit late starting, so we're having a spaghetti bolognese. Colin is cooking it and I am being lazy. I went to the osteopath today for a treatment. She said you can't really dislocate your hip but it seems I had a good try! Anyway, it's always achey after a treatment, but it feels looser and less painful - so fingers-crossed. Jo Peter H

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

Guest guest

We haven't had that in a while - how do you make your dumplings?

Jo

, peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

>

> stew and dumplings

>

> The Valley Vegan..........

>

> jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

> What is everyone having for dinner tonight?

>

> We're a hit late starting, so we're having a spaghetti

bolognese. Colin is cooking it and I am being lazy. I went to the

osteopath today for a treatment. She said you can't really dislocate

your hip but it seems I had a good try! Anyway, it's always achey

after a treatment, but it feels looser and less painful - so fingers-

crossed.

>

> Jo

>

>

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

>

> All new Mail " The new Interface is stunning in its

simplicity and ease of use. " - PC Magazine

>

Guest guest

last nite ended up being

tamales

taquitos

beans

and rice

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances,

there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in

such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest

we become unwitting victims of the darkness.

William O. Douglas

Guest guest

green eyed monster here! The Valley Vegan...................fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: last nite ended up beingtamalestaquitosbeansand riceAs nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas To send an email to -

Guest guest

why..were the dumplings that bad?

:)

peter VV Oct 6, 2006 1:46 PM Re: Re: What's for dinner?

green eyed monster here!

The Valley Vegan...................fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

last nite ended up beingtamalestaquitosbeansand riceAs nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas To send an email to -

Guest guest

Nah, they were the best part, the stew was a bit hit and miss................ The Valley Vegan....................fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: why..were the dumplings that bad? :) peter VV Oct 6, 2006 1:46 PM Re: Re: What's for dinner? green eyed monster here! The Valley Vegan...................fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: last nite ended up beingtamalestaquitosbeansand riceAs nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas To send an email to -

Guest guest

what exactly is vegetable suet?

is that like Crisco here...? shortening...

peter VV Oct 6, 2006 1:52 PM Re: Re: What's for dinner?

easy, my mother does it! ha,ha, hang on, just calling her.................................................................................................................................................................................................................apparently water , flour and vegetable suet.

The Valley Vegan.................heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

We haven't had that in a while - how do you make your dumplings?Jo , peter VV wrote:>> stew and dumplings> > The Valley Vegan..........> > jo wrote:> What is everyone having for dinner tonight?> > We're a hit late starting, so we're having a spaghetti bolognese. Colin is cooking it and I am being lazy. I went to the osteopath today for a treatment. She said you can't really dislocate your hip but it seems I had a good try! Anyway, it's always achey after a treatment, but it feels looser and less painful - so fingers-crossed.> > Jo> > > > Peter H > > > > > All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine>To send an email to -

Guest guest

and today..for lunch...

its cilantro tofu

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas

Guest guest

Its hydrogenated ( I think ) vegetable fat/ refined vegetable oils. Vegetable suet is suitable for vegetarians but it's just as high in fat as beef suet, and contains as much saturated fat. I also use it in spotted dick...........but thats another story. The Valley Vegan............. fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: what exactly is vegetable suet? is that like Crisco here...? shortening... peter VV Oct 6, 2006 1:52 PM Re: Re: What's for dinner?

easy, my mother does it! ha,ha, hang on, just calling her.................................................................................................................................................................................................................apparently water , flour and vegetable suet. The Valley Vegan.................heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote: We haven't had that in a while - how do you make your dumplings?Jo , peter VV wrote:>> stew and dumplings> > The Valley Vegan..........> > jo wrote:> What is everyone having for dinner tonight?> > We're a hit late starting, so we're having a spaghetti

bolognese. Colin is cooking it and I am being lazy. I went to the osteopath today for a treatment. She said you can't really dislocate your hip but it seems I had a good try! Anyway, it's always achey after a treatment, but it feels looser and less painful - so fingers-crossed.> > Jo> > > > Peter H > > > > > All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine>To send an email to -

Guest guest

sounds like shortening

http://crisco.com/index.asp

or margerine

peter VV Oct 6, 2006 2:11 PM Re: Re: What's for dinner?

Its hydrogenated ( I think ) vegetable fat/ refined vegetable oils.

Vegetable suet is suitable for vegetarians but it's just as high in fat as beef suet, and contains as much saturated fat.

I also use it in spotted dick...........but thats another story.

The Valley Vegan.............

fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

easy, my mother does it! ha,ha, hang on, just calling her.................................................................................................................................................................................................................apparently water , flour and vegetable suet.

We haven't had that in a while - how do you make your dumplings?Jo , peter VV wrote:>> stew and dumplings> > The Valley Vegan..........> > jo wrote:> What is everyone having for dinner tonight?> > We're a hit late starting, so we're having a spaghetti bolognese. Colin is cooking it and I am being lazy. I went to the osteopath today for a treatment. She said you can't really dislocate your hip but it seems I had a good try! Anyway, it's always achey after a treatment, but it feels looser and less painful - so fingers-crossed.> > Jo> > > > Peter H > > > > > All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine>To send an email to -

Guest guest

corriander is the seed here

tofu and the plant cilantro....

simple, and good

whats that?, tofu in corriander?

The Valley Vegan.............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

and today..for lunch...

its cilantro tofu As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting

victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas

Peter H

Now you can scan emails quickly with a reading pane. Get the new Mail.

Guest guest

http://www.tesco.com/superstore/xpi/9/xpi52234519.htm The Valley Vegan............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: sounds like shortening http://crisco.com/index.asp or margerine peter VV Oct 6, 2006 2:11 PM Re: Re: What's for dinner? Its hydrogenated ( I think ) vegetable fat/ refined vegetable oils. Vegetable suet is suitable for vegetarians but

it's just as high in fat as beef suet, and contains as much saturated fat. I also use it in spotted dick...........but thats another story. The Valley Vegan............. fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: what exactly is vegetable suet? is that like Crisco here...? shortening... peter VV Oct 6, 2006 1:52 PM Re: Re: What's for dinner? easy, my mother does it! ha,ha, hang on, just calling

her.................................................................................................................................................................................................................apparently water , flour and vegetable suet. The Valley Vegan.................heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote: We haven't had that in a while - how do you make your dumplings?Jo , peter VV wrote:>> stew and dumplings> > The Valley Vegan..........> > jo wrote:> What is everyone having for dinner tonight?> > We're a hit late starting, so we're having a spaghetti bolognese. Colin is cooking it and I am being lazy. I went to the osteopath today for

a treatment. She said you can't really dislocate your hip but it seems I had a good try! Anyway, it's always achey after a treatment, but it feels looser and less painful - so fingers-crossed.> > Jo> > > > Peter H > > > > > All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine>To send an email to -

Guest guest

yup..basically shortening

here's crisco

IngredientsPARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND COTTONSEED OILS, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES.

of course...run screaming from anything with a di-glycerdide over here...

i haven't used crisco since...gak...1970's???

peter VV Oct 6, 2006 2:21 PM Re: Re: What's for dinner?

http://www.tesco.com/superstore/xpi/9/xpi52234519.htm

The Valley Vegan............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

sounds like shortening

or margerine

Vegetable suet is suitable for vegetarians but it's just as high in fat as beef suet, and contains as much saturated fat.

Guest guest

Ah but you lot lost yer way with puds, its our heritage! The Valley Vegan............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: yup..basically shortening here's crisco IngredientsPARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND COTTONSEED OILS, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES. of course...run screaming from anything with a di-glycerdide over here... i haven't used crisco since...gak...1970's??? peter VV Oct 6, 2006 2:21 PM Re: Re: What's for dinner? http://www.tesco.com/superstore/xpi/9/xpi52234519.htm The Valley Vegan............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: sounds like shortening http://crisco.com/index.asp or margerine peter VV Oct 6, 2006 2:11 PM To:

Re: Re: What's for dinner? Its hydrogenated ( I think ) vegetable fat/ refined vegetable oils. Vegetable suet is suitable for vegetarians but it's just as high in fat as beef suet, and contains as much saturated fat. I also use it in spotted dick...........but thats another story. The Valley Vegan............. fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: what exactly is vegetable suet? is that like Crisco here...? shortening... peter VV Oct 6,

2006 1:52 PM Re: Re: What's for dinner? easy, my mother does it! ha,ha, hang on, just calling her.................................................................................................................................................................................................................apparently water , flour and vegetable suet. The Valley Vegan.................heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote: We haven't had that in a while - how do you make your dumplings?Jo , peter VV wrote:>> stew and dumplings> > The Valley Vegan..........> > jo wrote:> What is everyone

having for dinner tonight?> > We're a hit late starting, so we're having a spaghetti bolognese. Colin is cooking it and I am being lazy. I went to the osteopath today for a treatment. She said you can't really dislocate your hip but it seems I had a good try! Anyway, it's always achey after a treatment, but it feels looser and less painful - so fingers-crossed.> > Jo> > > > Peter H > > > > > All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine>To send an email to -

Guest guest

Spotted Dick 285g (10oz) Self-Raising Flour 150g (5oz) Shredded Suet 150ml (¼ pint) soya Milk 110-160g (4-6oz) Currants or Raisins 85g (3oz) Castor Sugar 1 Lemon, zest only, finely grated Pinch Salt Mix all of the dry ingredients, including the grated lemon zest, together thoroughly Add enough milk to produce a soft dough. Turn out onto a floured surface. Roll out the mixture to produce a roll approximately 15cm (6 in) long and 5cm (2 in) in diameter. Prepare either a tea towel lightly dusted with flour, or sheet of kitchen foil or a double thickness of greaseproof paper, brushed with melted marg. Wrap loosely but securely, leaving enough space for it to rise. Tie or seal the ends. Place in the steamer and cover tightly. Steam for 1½ to 2 hours. Serve cut into thck slices with hot custard. I usually go the whole hog and have golden syrup on

mine,...makes yer teeth fury...... The Valley Vegan.............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: yup..basically shortening here's crisco IngredientsPARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND COTTONSEED OILS, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES. of course...run screaming from anything with a di-glycerdide over here... i haven't used crisco since...gak...1970's??? peter VV Oct 6, 2006 2:21 PM Re: Re: What's for dinner? http://www.tesco.com/superstore/xpi/9/xpi52234519.htm The Valley Vegan............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: sounds like shortening http://crisco.com/index.asp or margerine peter VV Oct 6, 2006 2:11 PM To:

Re: Re: What's for dinner? Its hydrogenated ( I think ) vegetable fat/ refined vegetable oils. Vegetable suet is suitable for vegetarians but it's just as high in fat as beef suet, and contains as much saturated fat. I also use it in spotted dick...........but thats another story. The Valley Vegan............. fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: what exactly is vegetable suet? is that like Crisco here...? shortening... peter VV Oct 6,

2006 1:52 PM Re: Re: What's for dinner? easy, my mother does it! ha,ha, hang on, just calling her.................................................................................................................................................................................................................apparently water , flour and vegetable suet. The Valley Vegan.................heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote: We haven't had that in a while - how do you make your dumplings?Jo , peter VV wrote:>> stew and dumplings> > The Valley Vegan..........> > jo wrote:> What is everyone

having for dinner tonight?> > We're a hit late starting, so we're having a spaghetti bolognese. Colin is cooking it and I am being lazy. I went to the osteopath today for a treatment. She said you can't really dislocate your hip but it seems I had a good try! Anyway, it's always achey after a treatment, but it feels looser and less painful - so fingers-crossed.> > Jo> > > > Peter H > > > > > All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine>To send an email to -

Guest guest

I love spotted dick, but you can make it with non-hydrogenated margarine to be a bit healthier.

Jo

-

peter VV

Friday, October 06, 2006 7:58 PM

Re: Re: What's for dinner?

Spotted Dick

285g (10oz) Self-Raising Flour 150g (5oz) Shredded Suet 150ml (¼ pint) soya Milk 110-160g (4-6oz) Currants or Raisins 85g (3oz) Castor Sugar 1 Lemon, zest only, finely grated Pinch Salt

Mix all of the dry ingredients, including the grated lemon zest, together thoroughly Add enough milk to produce a soft dough. Turn out onto a floured surface. Roll out the mixture to produce a roll approximately 15cm (6 in) long and 5cm (2 in) in diameter. Prepare either a tea towel lightly dusted with flour, or sheet of kitchen foil or a double thickness of greaseproof paper, brushed with melted marg. Wrap loosely but securely, leaving enough space for it to rise. Tie or seal the ends. Place in the steamer and cover tightly. Steam for 1½ to 2 hours. Serve cut into thck slices with hot custard.

I usually go the whole hog and have golden syrup on mine,...makes yer teeth fury......

The Valley Vegan.............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

yup..basically shortening

here's crisco

IngredientsPARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND COTTONSEED OILS, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES.

of course...run screaming from anything with a di-glycerdide over here...

i haven't used crisco since...gak...1970's???

peter VV Oct 6, 2006 2:21 PM Re: Re: What's for dinner?

http://www.tesco.com/superstore/xpi/9/xpi52234519.htm

The Valley Vegan............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

sounds like shortening

or margerine

Guest guest

Robin asked:

<<Greetings from the frigid Midwest!

We seem to be in a dinner rut. What are you making for dinner tonight?>>

From about 5 miles south of you....we're having Shepherd's Pie: sauteed soy

crumbles & onions, steamed carrots, kale & mashed potatoes layered in a baking

dish, using vegetable stock as a moistener.

Liz

Guest guest

I am trying a pumpkin ziti recipe from veganomicon. I'm kind of scared- I

don't know if I like pumpkin in food.

Where in the frigid midwest are you? I'm in Kansas.

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 8:20 AM, robin koloms <rkoloms wrote:

> Greetings from the frigid Midwest!

>

> We seem to be in a dinner rut. What are you making for dinner tonight?

>

> Robin

>

>

Guest guest

Downtown Chicago?

--- On Tue, 2/3/09, ERB <bakwin wrote:

ERB <bakwin

Re: What's for Dinner?

Tuesday, February 3, 2009, 9:41 AM

Robin asked:

<<Greetings from the frigid Midwest!

We seem to be in a dinner rut. What are you making for dinner tonight?>>

From about 5 miles south of you....we're having Shepherd's Pie: sauteed soy

crumbles & onions, steamed carrots, kale & mashed potatoes layered in a baking

dish, using vegetable stock as a moistener.

Liz

Guest guest

We're on the far northside of Chicago, just south of Evanston and about a mile

west of the Lake.

I spent an hour flipping through recipes, and just can't get inspired.  Somehow,

dinners were easier when I was working (I was downsized last month) and had to

throw something together in 20 minutes.

Robin

--- On Tue, 2/3/09, kerri myers <4lilpups wrote:

kerri myers <4lilpups

Tuesday, February 3, 2009, 9:44 AM

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 8:20 AM, robin koloms <rkoloms > wrote:

>

>

> Robin

>

>

Guest guest

I'm making Korean kimbab (Japanese sushi) with marinaded tofu, carrots and

avocado.

We're freezing here in Wisconsin!

--- On Tue, 2/3/09, kerri myers <4lilpups wrote:

kerri myers <4lilpups

Tuesday, February 3, 2009, 3:44 PM

>

>

> Robin

>

>

Guest guest

Sometimes there can just be too many options. :-) We've been doing a lot of

soups and casseroles because I can throw them together with whatever I have on

hand and they seem hearty and warm...it is cold three hours south of you as

well. :-) Tamales were on the menu this week too. So sorry you were

downsized. Just crazy out there in the job area.

Linda

A Marketplace for a Better World (Cruelty-free, Environmentally-Conscious, and

Fair Labor Products)

http://triballife.net/

http://triballifeinc.blogspot.com/

My personal blogs:

http://veganlinda.blogspot.com/

http://cucarfree.blogspot.com/

robin koloms <rkoloms

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 9:54:26 AM

We're on the far northside of Chicago, just south of Evanston and about a mile

west of the Lake.

I spent an hour flipping through recipes, and just can't get inspired. Somehow,

dinners were easier when I was working (I was downsized last month) and had to

throw something together in 20 minutes.

Robin

--- On Tue, 2/3/09, kerri myers <4lilpups (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:

kerri myers <4lilpups (AT) gmail (DOT) com>

@gro ups.com

Tuesday, February 3, 2009, 9:44 AM

>

>

> Robin

>

>

Guest guest

A pot of soup (last night -- quinoa corn chowder), a fresh loaf of bread

(using the breadmaker) and a side veg of some sort (last night - steamed

green beans) always hits the spot. There are so many different types of soup

and bread -- our family has that at least once a week in colder weather.

Heather

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 9:20 AM, robin koloms <rkoloms wrote:

>

>

> Robin

>

>

Guest guest

South side.

robin koloms <rkoloms

Downtown Chicago?