IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Cholesterol

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Annie,

I dont know much about this but have just found this on the web ( not that it makes anything clearer?!)

British Hyperlipidaemia Society classifies level (Total Cholesterol)

desirable (<5.2 mmol/I) borderline (5.2 -6.4 mmol/1) abnormal (6.5-7.8mmol/1) high (>7.8mmol/1)

I always new I was abnormal!

The Valley Vegan.......Annie <veganchicklol wrote:

A lipid profile is a simple number produced by adding together the levels of high-density lipoproteins (HDL) and low-density lipoproteins (LDL), the so-called "good" and "bad" forms of cholesterol. However, researchers have now identified five subclasses of HDL, four subclasses of LDL, and others that are separated into classes. A lipid panel is a study of lipid proteins in the blood profiling the Triglycerides, Total Cholesterol, LDL Cholesterol, HDL Cholesterol, and HDL/Cholesterol Ratio. Since those numbers add up into hundreds, I'm not sure how yours would be 6.7 . , "Lynda" wrote:> What does your 6.7 refer to? Here the blood tests give you various numbers for various things and the 300 would be a total.> > Lynda> - >

peter hurd > > Wednesday, June 01, 2005 2:42 AM> Re: Fw: Cholesterol> > > Hiya Annie,> Thanks for the reply, we seem to have a different yardstick over here, my measurement was 6.7, while you are talking in hundreds?!?!!? now my mind is well and truly boggled.> > The Valley Vegan....... > Annie wrote:> Hello. I'm Annie. The topic of cholesterol caught my attention, > because mine was so high before I went vegan. Even as a vegetarian it > was nearly 300. > I also am a non-drinker/smoker and do not fit the typical profile for > an "at risk" cholesterol. My doctor wrote a perscription for Baycor > (sp?) and Lipitor (sp?), but I never filled it. I didn't want to live > my life on pills if I could help it. > My numbers didn't drop dramatically going

vegan. From 300 to 270. But > then I started excercising. That must have been key, because it > dropped to 145 and stayed there. It's been two years, now. Cardio > excercise was the turning point for me, even though I despise it! I > much prefer stretching and yoga.> Hope this was helpful. (?)> ~Annie> > > > > > To send an email to - >

Guest guest

Keep in mind when dealing with your cholesterol level that genetics play a part in it. I'm veg (obviously), work out almost every day and just found out that my cholesterol is through the roof. My doctor told me that given my age (30) and lifestyle there has a genetic component at play. Fortunately, he decided that because I'm fairly young I don't need meds yet and that we're just going to keep an eye on it.

Love,

Anna

-

peter hurd

6/4/2005 8:34:50 AM

Re: Fw: Cholesterol

Hi Annie,

I dont know much about this but have just found this on the web ( not that it makes anything clearer?!)

desirable (<5.2 mmol/I) borderline (5.2 -6.4 mmol/1) abnormal (6.5-7.8mmol/1) high (>7.8mmol/1)

A lipid profile is a simple number produced by adding together the levels of high-density lipoproteins (HDL) and low-density lipoproteins (LDL), the so-called "good" and "bad" forms of cholesterol. However, researchers have now identified five subclasses of HDL, four subclasses of LDL, and others that are separated into classes. A lipid panel is a study of lipid proteins in the blood profiling the Triglycerides, Total Cholesterol, LDL Cholesterol, HDL Cholesterol, and HDL/Cholesterol Ratio. Since those numbers add up into hundreds, I'm not sure how yours would be 6.7 . , "Lynda" wrote:> What does your 6.7 refer to? Here the blood tests give you various numbers for various things and the 300 would be a total.> > Lynda> - > peter hurd > > Wednesday, June 01, 2005 2:42 AM> Re: Fw: Cholesterol> > > Hiya Annie,> Thanks for the reply, we seem to have a different yardstick over here, my measurement was 6.7, while you are talking in hundreds?!?!!? now my mind is well and truly boggled.> > The Valley Vegan....... > Annie wrote:> Hello. I'm Annie. The topic of cholesterol caught my attention, > because mine was so high before I went vegan. Even as a vegetarian it > was nearly 300. > I also am a non-drinker/smoker and do not fit the typical profile for > an "at risk" cholesterol. My doctor wrote a perscription for Baycor > (sp?) and Lipitor (sp?), but I never filled it. I didn't want to live > my life on pills if I could help it. > My numbers didn't drop dramatically going vegan. From 300 to 270. But > then I started excercising. That must have been key, because it > dropped to 145 and stayed there. It's been two years, now. Cardio > excercise was the turning point for me, even though I despise it! I > much prefer stretching and yoga.> Hope this was helpful. (?)> ~Annie> > > > > > To send an email to - >

Guest guest

Hi Anna

If you are veg does that mean you are eating dairy and eggs. If this is the case you are quite likely to have high cholesterol even if you do not have a familial tendency. If you give up dairy and eggs you may well find that your cholesterol will go down.

Jo

-

Anna Blaine

Sunday, June 05, 2005 12:21 AM

Keep in mind when dealing with your cholesterol level that genetics play a part in it. I'm veg (obviously), work out almost every day and just found out that my cholesterol is through the roof. My doctor told me that given my age (30) and lifestyle there has a genetic component at play. Fortunately, he decided that because I'm fairly young I don't need meds yet and that we're just going to keep an eye on it.

Love,

Anna

-

peter hurd

Hi Annie,

A lipid profile is a simple number produced by adding together the levels of high-density lipoproteins (HDL) and low-density lipoproteins (LDL), the so-called "good" and "bad" forms of cholesterol. However, researchers have now identified five subclasses of HDL, four subclasses of LDL, and others that are separated into classes. A lipid panel is a study of lipid proteins in the blood profiling the Triglycerides, Total Cholesterol, LDL Cholesterol, HDL Cholesterol, and HDL/Cholesterol Ratio. Since those numbers add up into hundreds, I'm not sure how yours would be 6.7 . , "Lynda" wrote:> What does your 6.7 refer to? Here the blood tests give you various numbers for various things and the 300 would be a total.> > Lynda> - > peter hurd > > Wednesday, June 01, 2005 2:42 AM> Re: Fw: Cholesterol> > > Hiya Annie,> Thanks for the reply, we seem to have a different yardstick over here, my measurement was 6.7, while you are talking in hundreds?!?!!? now my mind is well and truly boggled.> > The Valley Vegan....... > Annie wrote:> Hello. I'm Annie. The topic of cholesterol caught my attention, > because mine was so high before I went vegan. Even as a vegetarian it > was nearly 300. > I also am a non-drinker/smoker and do not fit the typical profile for > an "at risk" cholesterol. My doctor wrote a perscription for Baycor > (sp?) and Lipitor (sp?), but I never filled it. I didn't want to live > my life on pills if I could help it. > My numbers didn't drop dramatic ally going vegan. From 300 to 270. But > then I started excercising. That must have been key, because it > dropped to 145 and stayed there. It's been two years, now. Cardio > excercise was the turning point for me, even though I despise it! I > much prefer stretching and yoga.> Hope this was helpful. (?)> ~Annie> > > > > > To send an email to - >

Guest guest

Hi Jo,

I don't eat dairy or eggs, yet my cholesterol is 300. Explain that.

Love,

Anna

-

Jo Cwazy

6/5/2005 4:42:16 AM

Hi Anna

If you are veg does that mean you are eating dairy and eggs. If this is the case you are quite likely to have high cholesterol even if you do not have a familial tendency. If you give up dairy and eggs you may well find that your cholesterol will go down.

Jo

-

Anna Blaine

Love,

Anna

-

peter hurd

Hi Annie,

A lipid profile is a simple number produced by adding together the levels of high-density lipoproteins (HDL) and low-density lipoproteins (LDL), the so-called "good" and "bad" forms of cholesterol. However, researchers have now identified five subclasses of HDL, four subclasses of LDL, and others that are separated into classes. A lipid panel is a study of lipid proteins in the blood profiling the Triglycerides, Total Cholesterol, LDL Cholesterol, HDL Cholesterol, and HDL/Cholesterol Ratio. Since those numbers add up into hundreds, I'm not sure how yours would be 6.7 . , "Lynda" wrote:> What does your 6.7 refer to? Here the blood tests give you various numbers for various things and the 300 would be a total.> > Lynda> - > peter hurd > > Wednesday, June 01, 2005 2:42 AM> Re: Fw: Cholesterol> > > Hiya Annie,> Thanks for the reply, we seem to have a different yardstick over here, my measurement was 6.7, while you are talking in hundreds?!?!!? now my mind is well and truly boggled.> > The Valley Vegan....... > Annie wrote:> Hello. I'm Annie. The topic of cholesterol caught my attention, > because mine was so high before I went vegan. Even as a vegetarian it > was nearly 300. > I also am a non-drinker/smoker and do not fit the typical profile for > an "at risk" cholesterol. My doctor wrote a perscription for Baycor > (sp?) and Lipitor (sp?), but I never filled it. I didn't want to live > my life on pills if I could help it. > My numbers didn't drop dramatic ally going vegan. From 300 to 270. But > then I started excercising. That must have been key, because it > dropped to 145 and stayed there. It's been two years, now. Cardio > excercise was the turning point for me, even though I despise it! I > much prefer stretching and yoga.> Hope this was helpful. (?)> ~Annie> > > > > > To send an email to - >

Guest guest

alien abduction.... Anna Blaine Jun 5, 2005 11:35 AM Re: Fw: Cholesterol

Hi Jo,

Love,

Anna

Those who control the past, control the future; Those who control the future, control the present; Those who control the present, control the past.^

Guest guest

It must be familial then.

Jo

-

Anna Blaine

Sunday, June 05, 2005 7:35 PM

Hi Jo,

Love,

Anna

-

Jo Cwazy

6/5/2005 4:42:16 AM

Hi Anna

Jo

-

Anna Blaine

Love,

Anna

-

peter hurd

Hi Annie,

Guest guest

rawfood , wMilmoe@a... wrote:

Hi Bill!

> Hey Bob:

>

> Thanks for you helpful and kind thoughts and posts. :>)

you're welcome, and thank your for your kind expression of

appreciation, keeps the engine running! LOL!

>

> My right ear is still aching, my left eye watering, I pacing myself

and

> getting through...

Glad you're hangin' in there: and this too shall pass. sounds like

your body is taking advantage of the good stuff you've been giving

it, and the presumably lower digestive load, and using some of its

extra energy to do some housecleaning.

> :>) On the positive side my rash seems milder. 7 days on the

nofat fruit

> veg cleanse perhaps I should go back o eating avocados ( a past

staple :>) )

no..no...bad idea...and you already know that!

>

>

> Today I started my understanding of the NH " Treatment " for illness

rest and

> water only...

good luck: keep us posted...

>

>

> Some of the the cardiologists are changing there tune -- too many

people with

> TC of 170 having heart attacks and stroke and bypass surgery...

Finally!

>

> At 170 a person's risk of having a heart attack or stroke before

dying is 75%

> -- quite high!

>

> Bill

all the best,

Bob (fellow journeyman)

Guest guest

rawfood [rawfood ] On Behalf Of

wMilmoe

Monday, June 06, 2005 10:41 AM

rawfood ; rjf2

[Raw Food] Cholesterol

At 170 a person's risk of having a heart attack or stroke before dying is

75%

-- quite high!

Bill

_____

Not sure, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that the ratio of 75% with

heart attacks and 25% working is ideal for drug company revenue projections

and has therefore been adopted as an official target by the government.

Oh, oops, I didn't realize the microphone was on....

Elchanan

--

------------------------ [ SECURITY NOTICE ] ------------------------

rawfood .

For your security, vlinfo

digitally signed this message on 07 June 2005 at 16:12:32 UTC.

Verify this digital signature at http://www.ciphire.com/verify.

------------------- [ CIPHIRE DIGITAL SIGNATURE ] -------------------

Q2lwaGlyZSBTaWcuAVdyYXdmb29kQHlhaG9vZ3JvdXBzLmNvbQB2bGluZm9AZWFydGhsa

W5rLm5ldABlbWFpbCBib2R5AP4BAAB8AHwAAAABAAAAcMelQv4BAACaAwACAAIAAgAgWd

+jWXfInHvayeGZWK7egaxIx/Ds85ig0C7EzQ1Fg5gBAIYEpBOTbs87zkSZHhSIvzVVwfR

ghtV1X2jI/sjxmdF9Tg4prITBBm1oQv0hCxoMLsvxIE+ICIKwpfOgRJrU8v08qm+8U2ln

RW5k

--------------------- [ END DIGITAL SIGNATURE ] ---------------------

Guest guest

INFO @ Vibrant Life wrote:

> rawfood [rawfood ] On

> Behalf Of

> wMilmoe

> Monday, June 06, 2005 10:41 AM

> rawfood ; rjf2

> [Raw Food] Cholesterol

>

> At 170 a person's risk of having a heart attack or stroke before dying is

> 75%

> -- quite high!

>

> Bill

> _____

> Not sure, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that the ratio of 75%

> with

> heart attacks and 25% working is ideal for drug company revenue

> projections

> and has therefore been adopted as an official target by the government.

>

> Oh, oops, I didn't realize the microphone was on....

> Elchanan

=======================

LOL, gotta love a person with a sense of humor. You are in excellent

form today Elchanan.

--

Peace be with you, Elchanan.

Don " Quai " Eitner

" Spirit sleeps in the mineral, breathes in the vegetable, dreams in the animal

and wakes in man. "

Guest guest

Hi Anna,

Yes I`m afraid it is hereditary with me, so not a lot more I can do about it either. I cant say that I`m as fit as you sound, but I am not overwieght - physical jerks dont appeal to me.So I guess I have to live with it ( I hope?!).

All The Best,

The Valley Vegan.......Anna Blaine <anna333 wrote:

Love,

Anna

-

peter hurd

Hi Annie,

A lipid profile is a simple number produced by adding together the levels of high-density lipoproteins (HDL) and low-density lipoproteins (LDL), the so-called "good" and "bad" forms of cholesterol. However, researchers have now identified five subclasses of HDL, four subclasses of LDL, and others that are separated into classes. A lipid panel is a study of lipid proteins in the blood profiling the Triglycerides, Total Cholesterol, LDL Cholesterol, HDL Cholesterol, and HDL/Cholesterol Ratio. Since those numbers add up into hundreds, I'm not sure how yours would be 6.7 . , "Lynda" wrote:> What does your 6.7 refer to? Here the blood tests give you various numbers for various things and the 300 would be a total.> > Lynda> - >

peter hurd > > Wednesday, June 01, 2005 2:42 AM> Re: Fw: Cholesterol> > > Hiya Annie,> Thanks for the reply, we seem to have a different yardstick over here, my measurement was 6.7, while you are talking in hundreds?!?!!? now my mind is well and truly boggled.> > The Valley Vegan....... > Annie wrote:> Hello. I'm Annie. The topic of cholesterol caught my attention, > because mine was so high before I went vegan. Even as a vegetarian it > was nearly 300. > I also am a non-drinker/smoker and do not fit the typical profile for > an "at risk" cholesterol. My doctor wrote a perscription for Baycor > (sp?) and Lipitor (sp?), but I never filled it. I didn't want to live > my life on pills if I could help it. > My numbers didn't drop dramatically going

vegan. From 300 to 270. But > then I started excercising. That must have been key, because it > dropped to 145 and stayed there. It's been two years, now. Cardio > excercise was the turning point for me, even though I despise it! I > much prefer stretching and yoga.> Hope this was helpful. (?)> ~Annie> > > > > > To send an email to - >

Guest guest

I would love to make some suggestions, Liz, but last time I did I was

shot down in flames by all the " experts " on this list. I hope you

get the information you need.

B

On 23/05/2008, at 1:11 AM, Liz Vergnault wrote:

> Hello-

> I just got the news that my cholesterol is 253! My good

> cholesterol is 97 and the bad is 56. I know the ratio is good, but

> I'm concerned about the overall number. There is a strong line of

> cardiovascular disease in my family, so there may be a hereditary

> factor. I have gone back and forth on the eggs/dairy over the last

> few years, but I'm willing to make any changes I need to, to bring

> that down. My fasting glucose and triglycerides are good. Any

> suggestions? Thanks!

> Liz V.

>

>

Guest guest

Hello Liz,

My cholesterol was high too when I was veg. When I went vegan I thought that

would solve the problem right away it didn't. My doctor who is a good diet

doctor, told me that while I was losing weight (I needed to) the fat I had

stored up in my vegetarian days was being released into my blood stream raising

my cholesterol level, that when I got my weight down it would lower. It did, it

is now 143 and I am over 20 pounds lighter. Focus on greens and beans and watch

out for too much oil.

Best wishes

Jane

Liz Vergnault <evergnault

Thursday, May 22, 2008 11:11:42 AM

cholesterol

Hello-

I just got the news that my cholesterol is 253!  My good cholesterol is 97 and

the bad is 56.  I know the ratio is good, but I'm concerned about the overall

number.  There is a strong line of cardiovascular disease in my family, so there

may be a hereditary factor.  I have gone back and forth on the eggs/dairy over

the last few years, but I'm willing to make any changes I need to, to bring that

down.  My fasting glucose and triglycerides are good.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Liz V.

Guest guest

About 7 years ago, my cholesterol was 255. I went vegan - I did a combo of Dr.

McDougall's and Dr. Furhman's (Eat to Live) programs. There is a great website

with

recipes that support these programs too - www.fatfreevegan.com - After a year,

my

cholesterol went way down to 155, but my triclycerides were high (because I was

still

eating refined sugar). 100 points in a year on any diet I think is good, but I

can't say

enough about how helpful these programs are - they are lifestyle programs, not

diets.

Susan

, Liz Vergnault <evergnault wrote:

>

> Hello-

> I just got the news that my cholesterol is 253!  My good cholesterol is 97 and

the bad

is 56.  I know the ratio is good, but I'm concerned about the overall number. 

There is a

strong line of cardiovascular disease in my family, so there may be a hereditary

factor.  I

have gone back and forth on the eggs/dairy over the last few years, but I'm

willing to

make any changes I need to, to bring that down.  My fasting glucose and

triglycerides

are good.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

> Liz V.

>

>

Guest guest

Liz,

Eliminating all animal products from your diet should greatly reduce your

cholesterol. Also, exercise has been proven to help too - just walking

regularly is enough to make a significant difference.

Did your doctor make any suggestions?

Jennifer

Guest guest

You're welcome to e-mail me offlist if that makes you more comfortable

evergnault at dot com

Thanks for answering!

Liz

Becky <beckstar13

Friday, May 23, 2008 12:01:28 AM

Re: cholesterol

I would love to make some suggestions, Liz, but last time I did I was

shot down in flames by all the " experts " on this list. I hope you

get the information you need.

B

On 23/05/2008, at 1:11 AM, Liz Vergnault wrote:

> Hello-

> I just got the news that my cholesterol is 253! My good

> cholesterol is 97 and the bad is 56. I know the ratio is good, but

> I'm concerned about the overall number. There is a strong line of

> cardiovascular disease in my family, so there may be a hereditary

> factor. I have gone back and forth on the eggs/dairy over the last

> few years, but I'm willing to make any changes I need to, to bring

> that down. My fasting glucose and triglycerides are good. Any

> suggestions? Thanks!

> Liz V.

>

>

Guest guest

My doctor told me that if my diet was " good " that it was probably hereditary and

I should take a statin drug. That just seems not right to me. I'm 32, I'm

smart, and I'm willing to be proactive about my health. So, here I am :)

Thanks!

Liz

Jennifer Simmons <callmearavis

Friday, May 23, 2008 9:27:18 AM

Liz,

cholesterol. Also, exercise has been proven to help too - just walking

regularly is enough to make a significant difference.

Jennifer

Guest guest

Oatmeal is also supposed to help lower your cholesterol. I think it's one

bowl a day or something. My mom had a friend of hers who had issues with

hers going too high and she was put on a 'special diet' by her doctor. She

didn't cheat on it, and her numbers climbed higher. Turns out she had an

issue with her body overcompensating and making too much cholesterol (I

forget the name of the condition now), but she had other health issues as

well that probably contributed to it (chronic fatigue and something else, I

forget now). Hopefully you won't have those issues, but it's something to

think about as well. I wish I could remember what it was called, if it was

callled anything...

Good luck. My husband just had some bloodwork done, and I think his was

right around 200, but our doctor said that his ratios were good so she

didn't worry about his number.

Missie

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Jennifer Simmons <callmearavis

wrote:

> Liz,

> Eliminating all animal products from your diet should greatly reduce your

> cholesterol. Also, exercise has been proven to help too - just walking

> regularly is enough to make a significant difference.

> Did your doctor make any suggestions?

> Jennifer

>

>

>

Guest guest

Hi Liz,

My partner/husband was diagnosed with type II diabetes at the same time

he was diagnosed with high cholesterol. He found that taking red yeast

rice capsules does the same thing to lower his cholesterol as the statin

meds did. He stopped taking the statins, and his last blood test showed

normal ranges and his mainstream doctor actually prescribed that he

continue the red yeast rice. Now just to get his diet into better shape

so that he gets off the diabetes meds. (They've backed him down to the

intro level dose, since he's improved his diet so much that that's all

he needs - so we just have a little more to go now.) Oh, and he gets

the red yeast rice in health food stores - it's a pretty common

supplement, and usually in vegetarian capsules.

Good luck!!

Lorraine

On

Behalf Of Liz Vergnault

Saturday, May 24, 2008 10:09 AM

My doctor told me that if my diet was " good " that it was probably

hereditary and I should take a statin drug. That just seems not right to

me. I'm 32, I'm smart, and I'm willing to be proactive about my health.

So, here I am :)

Thanks!

Liz

Jennifer Simmons <callmearavis@ <callmearavis%40>

>

@gro <%40> ups.com

Liz,

Eliminating all animal products from your diet should greatly reduce

your cholesterol. Also, exercise has been proven to help too - just

walking regularly is enough to make a significant difference.

Jennifer

Guest guest

Hi Liz,

Oh, Missie's right and reminded me that cinnamon and walnuts are also

good for cholesterol, and several other herbs and foods. We got advice

from herbalists and homeopaths on another list I'm on, when my partner

was first diagnosed with cholesterol probs. I can look them up for you,

but really, after the red yeast rice, we just don't focus on the other

things much anymore.

Good health!

Lorraine

On

Behalf Of Missie Ward

Saturday, May 24, 2008 11:58 AM

Oatmeal is also supposed to help lower your cholesterol. I think it's

one

bowl a day or something. My mom had a friend of hers who had issues with

hers going too high and she was put on a 'special diet' by her doctor.

She

didn't cheat on it, and her numbers climbed higher. Turns out she had an

issue with her body overcompensating and making too much cholesterol (I

forget the name of the condition now), but she had other health issues

as

well that probably contributed to it (chronic fatigue and something

else, I

forget now). Hopefully you won't have those issues, but it's something

to

think about as well. I wish I could remember what it was called, if it

was

callled anything...

Good luck. My husband just had some bloodwork done, and I think his was

right around 200, but our doctor said that his ratios were good so she

didn't worry about his number.

Missie

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Jennifer Simmons <callmearavis@

<callmearavis%40> >

wrote:

> Liz,

> Eliminating all animal products from your diet should greatly reduce

your

> cholesterol. Also, exercise has been proven to help too - just walking

> regularly is enough to make a significant difference.

> Did your doctor make any suggestions?

> Jennifer

>

>

>

Guest guest

Have you tried eliminating all of the white foods (sugar, rice, pasta, bread,

etc.)? You should be able to knock down your cholesterol a few points by

cutting way down on simple carbs and upping the complex carbs (high fiber

foods).

Liz Vergnault <evergnault wrote: My doctor told me that if

my diet was " good " that it was probably hereditary and I should take a statin

drug. That just seems not right to me. I'm 32, I'm smart, and I'm willing to be

proactive about my health. So, here I am :)

Thanks!

Liz

Jennifer Simmons <callmearavis

Liz,

cholesterol. Also, exercise has been proven to help too - just walking regularly

is enough to make a significant difference.

Jennifer

Guest guest

I just read this somewhere - I'll try it!  Thanks!

robin koloms <rkoloms

Monday, May 26, 2008 3:57:42 AM

Have you tried eliminating all of the white foods (sugar, rice, pasta, bread,

etc.)? You should be able to knock down your cholesterol a few points by cutting

way down on simple carbs and upping the complex carbs (high fiber foods).

Liz Vergnault <evergnault > wrote: My doctor told me that if my diet

was " good " that it was probably hereditary and I should take a statin drug. That

just seems not right to me. I'm 32, I'm smart, and I'm willing to be proactive

about my health. So, here I am :)

Thanks!

Liz

Jennifer Simmons <callmearavis@ >

@gro ups.com

Liz,

cholesterol. Also, exercise has been proven to help too - just walking regularly

Jennifer

Guest guest

Hi Liz!

My husband was faced with the same dilema as you when he was in his

early twenties.  His family has high cholesterol and his was found to be over

250.  The doctor wanted to put him on medication immediately, but my husband

wanted to see if he could change the level through diet.  We were already

vegetarian at the time and decided then and there to become vegan.  Over the

next year, through diet alone, my husband was able to get his level down to

below 180 and recently, several years later, it is down to 165.  The doctors

were so amazed and couldn't believe that he did this by diet alone.  They still

think that he has some hereditary risk, but he is able to avoid the medication. 

My family also has high cholesterol, but through our diet, I was able to get my

level to 113.  I'm not sure if this would work with everyone, but it really

worked for us. 

-Dawn

Liz Vergnault <evergnault

Saturday, May 24, 2008 1:09:12 PM

My doctor told me that if my diet was " good " that it was probably hereditary and

I should take a statin drug. That just seems not right to me. I'm 32, I'm smart,

and I'm willing to be proactive about my health. So, here I am :)

Thanks!

Liz

Jennifer Simmons <callmearavis@ >

@gro ups.com

Liz,

Jennifer

Guest guest

The doctors

were so amazed and couldn't believe that he did this by diet alone.

I'm always amazed at doctors who are STILL unbelieving when it comes to

the diet-health connection. Check out Hallelujah Acres website, Dr.

Fuhrman's site, Dr. McDougall's site, Dr. Esselstyn (not sure if he has

a website, but his book is excellent), and probably many others as

well. They have hundreds, if not thousands of testimonies about what a

vegan diet (eliminating dairy and eggs in addition to being

just " vegetarian " ) did for people's health, high cholesterol included.

No one needs to be " amazed " , especially not doctors, who should know

better by now. The information is out there, and it is overwhelming!

Marilyn

Guest guest

When I was in my early 20's, I had my cholesterol checked for the first time and

it was high. I had been veg for many years and vegan for one. I didn't do

anything different and over the next two years it came down so low that my

doctor called me up to find out what I did. He was amazed and had never seen

anyone come down that low without drugs. I didn't become vegan to lower my

cholesterol, but I'm a big believer that it can make a difference if you give it

a little time.

Linda

A Marketplace for a Better World (Cruelty-free, Environmentally-Conscious, and

Fair Labor Products)

http://triballife.net/

http://triballifeinc.blogspot.com/

My personal blog:

http://veganlinda.blogspot.com/

sahmomof8 <sahmomof8

Thursday, May 29, 2008 8:01:43 AM

The doctors

Marilyn

Guest guest

I just started browsing your blog and I love it, thanks for sharing, I will

be back on to read more tonight.

Paige

_____

On

Behalf Of Linda Evans

Thursday, May 29, 2008 7:27 AM

Re: Re: cholesterol

When I was in my early 20's, I had my cholesterol checked for the first time

and it was high. I had been veg for many years and vegan for one. I didn't

do anything different and over the next two years it came down so low that

my doctor called me up to find out what I did. He was amazed and had never

seen anyone come down that low without drugs. I didn't become vegan to lower

my cholesterol, but I'm a big believer that it can make a difference if you

give it a little time.

Linda

A Marketplace for a Better World (Cruelty-free, Environmentally-Conscious,

and Fair Labor Products)

http://triballife. <http://triballife.net/> net/

http://triballifein <http://triballifeinc.blogspot.com/> c.blogspot.com/

My personal blog:

http://veganlinda. <http://veganlinda.blogspot.com/> blogspot.com/

sahmomof8 <sahmomof8 (AT) aol (DOT) <sahmomof8%40aol.com> com>

@gro <%40> ups.com

Thursday, May 29, 2008 8:01:43 AM

The doctors

Marilyn