IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Sainsburys

Rate this topic

Guest guest

>Yes, a few of their members may well be that way...

As well as a Sainbury's FAQ maybe I should add a " recognizing facetious

sarcastic satire " one too?

Michael

Guest guest

>I contacted sainsburys and suggested a separate section for labelled vegan

>products, and was told it would be put to head office,If enough people

>contacted them, they might take notice,surely a separate section has to be

>better than having to view the dismembered body parts of animals from time

>to time.

They were humouring you. It won't happen, it contradicts the (logical and

most natural) method that all stores use for organizing themselves.

Besides, when organic products were put in their own little corner people

ignored them, when the organic stands along with the non-organic then more

people will take notice and choose. Segregating vegan stuff into a dirty

little corner where the 'regular' person wil never go hardly does any good

for anyone.

Michael

Guest guest

Luckily the dead bodies are usually segregated so it is easy for us to avoid them . That is thoughtful of the supermarkets ------except when they put kosher bodies in with kosher/vegan ice-cream !!! Still it might save me money and stop me eating junk food . Perhaps they are helping me out inadvertantly ?

Mavreela [nec.lists] 08 November 2002 00:29 Subject: Re: SainsburysBesides, when organic products were put in their own little corner people ignored them, when the organic stands along with the non-organic then more people will take notice and choose. Segregating vegan stuff into a dirty little corner where the 'regular' person wil never go hardly does any good for anyone.Michael~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002 22:15:59 -0000, " Angie Wright "

<angiewright wrote:

>I'm not aware of Tesco's /Safeway owners having Dairy/veal herds.

All sell supermarkets sell dairy and veal, and therefore contribute to

the continued suffering, so I don't really see that it makes much

difference if a supermarket has it's own herds or not.

>I'm

>annoyed with Sainsbury because they admit that they are interested in

>Kosher/GM free but not in the vegetarian situation

I don't understand why you're saying they're not interested when

they've started labelling some foods as being vegan - more than all

but one of the others are doing.

>Food being delivered to my house does not make them think about not

>offending veggies by mixing icecream and bodies in the same freezer.

I can't say I've ever seen meat in close proximity to ice cream in any

store. Freezers can be quite long, so are you saying that you've seen

meat actually alongside ice cream? Might this be store-specific rather

than general policy?

>The co-op doesn't sell vegan icecream at all (in mine ). So I criticise

>them for that .It depends what the issue is as to which I criticise

The print nice things about animal testing on their bags though!

>I used to boycott Waitrose because it is John Lewis but they have

>stopped their bird shooting week ends so I can't think of a reason now

Personally, I find it hard to forgive them for that, and haven't as

yet. Locally here, a lot of mature trees were cut down in the town

centre to build a Waitrose store that wasn't needed anyway.

Chris W

Guest guest

-

" Chris W " <chrisw

Thursday, November 07, 2002 8:13 AM

Re: Sainsburys

> On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 23:22:55 -0000, " Angie Wright "

> <angiewright wrote:

>

< After all Sainsbury has dairy herds and is involved

> >directly in the veal trade . A greedy cruel bastard really.>

If they stocked vegan products in one section it would it would make it

easier to shop there.

Simon

>

Guest guest

Maybe, if you really see the need to spare time on such details. I knew perfectly well you are and were being facetious.

Lesley

Mavreela [nec.lists]08 November 2002 00:26 Subject: RE: Sainsburys>Yes, a few of their members may well be that way...As well as a Sainbury's FAQ maybe I should add a "recognizing facetious sarcastic satire" one too?Michael~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

In some ways I think Sainsbury's are better than other supermarkets, as they have vegan labelling on some of their own brand goods. Paul brought home some of their organic bran flakes, labelled vegan. I don't know if it's just organic range stuff that is labelled as vegan if it is vegan, or lots of other vegan products (no Sainsbury's near to home so I rarely shop there), but I've never seen any vegan labelling on Safeway or Tesco own brand products so far.

Lesley

Angie Wright [angiewright]07 November 2002 22:16 Subject: RE: Sainsburys

I'm not aware of Tesco's /Safeway owners having Dairy/veal herds . I'm annoyed with Sainsbury because they admit that they are interested in Kosher/GM free but not in the vegetarian situation

Food being delivered to my house does not make them think about not offending veggies by mixing icecream and bodies in the same freezer . I will criticise the other supermarkets when I see them doing the same

The co-op doesn't sell vegan icecream at all (in mine ). So I criticise them for that .It depends what the issue is as to which I criticise

I used to boycott Waitrose because it is John Lewis but they have stopped their bird shooting week ends so I can't think of a reason now

Chris W [chrisw] 07 November 2002 08:13 Subject: Re: SainsburysOn Tue, 5 Nov 2002 23:22:55 -0000, "Angie Wright"<angiewright wrote:>They only care about Kosher or allergy sufferers They are not bothered>about vegans . After all Sainsbury has dairy herds and is involved>directly in the veal trade . A greedy cruel bastard really I think it's a bit unfair to single out Sainsbury's for criticism whenall supermarkets are pretty much as bad as each other. Clearly theCo-Op are the best as they label whether or not both food and non-fooditems are vegan. Sainsbury's are at least trying to label foodappropriately - try finding "suitable for vegans" labels on Tesco orSafeway own-brand products! I can't comment on Waitrose as we boycottthem for a couple of reasons.Remember you can always get food delivered to your house as long asyou don't mind them choosing the items for you and are happy to paythe delivery fee (which is sometimes waived). I tend to find, however,that too many fresh items so delivered are best before "tomorrow".Chris W~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

" Lesley Dove " wrote:

> Yes, a few of their members may well be that way, and not have the

greatest

> of interpersonal skills at dealing with families,

<snip>

Because Michael said:

> Why should we join them, they are a family hating self interested

bunch

> who

> shout at children and won't even spend a few minutes talking to

their

> members. At least that's what I heard.

And I'd just like to say:

What a total waste of a perfectly good bit of irony!

C

Guest guest

, " Angie Wright " <angiewright@n...> wrote:

> I used to boycott Waitrose because it is John Lewis but they have

> stopped their bird shooting week ends so I can't think of a reason

now

>

> Angie

The fact that they sell pate de fois gras is good enough reason for

me. Shame though, because they also sell just about the best range

of vegan food I've seen outside of a HFS.

Cathy

xx

Guest guest

, " Angie Wright " <angiewright@n...> wrote:

> I agree with the points you mention Lesley . We need to pull

together

> and complain more

>

> Angie

Surely more irony?

C

xx

Guest guest

I have not yet seen any foods labelled vegan.

If people didn't have dairy herds supermarkets couldn't profit by it . Sainsbury has its own herds so benefits twice .

veal farming is especially cruel and sainsburys is part of that more so than other companies .

he is also a Tory MP and they say they are not doing things for vegans . Certainly mixing icecream with a dead body shows no respect for us . It is in the Kosher section . May be only in Nottingham ,But if people see it they could complain

not sure why you are defending sainsburys. The others may be rotten too but I don't know what is wrong with them ---so tell me

Which supermarkets sell veal ?

I also take ages to forgive so I don't shop in John Lewis/Waitrose

I use Co-op a lot (my local shop ) but complained when they stopped doing vegemince. I like the bags too

They stopped doing soya milk a few months ago . Can't think why It always sold out . I think we need to complain more in order to get what we want

Chris W [chrisw] 08 November 2002 08:09 Subject: Re: SainsburysAll sell supermarkets sell dairy and veal, and therefore contribute tothe continued suffering, so I don't really see that it makes muchdifference if a supermarket has it's own herds or not.I don't understand why you're saying they're not interested whenthey've started labelling some foods as being vegan - more than allbut one of the others are doing.I can't say I've ever seen meat in close proximity to ice cream in anystore. Freezers can be quite long, so are you saying that you've seenmeat actually alongside ice cream? Might this be store-specific ratherthan general policy?Personally, I find it hard to forgive them for that, and haven't asyet. Locally here, a lot of mature trees were cut down in the towncentre to build a Waitrose store that wasn't needed anyway.Chris W~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

Perhaps we had all better contact Safeway/Tesco etc and tell them we now shop at Co-op because of there vegan labelling

Lesley Dove [Lesley] 08 November 2002 12:26 Subject: RE: Sainsburys

In some ways I think Sainsbury's are better than other supermarkets, as they have vegan labelling on some of their own brand goods. Paul brought home some of their organic bran flakes, labelled vegan. I don't know if it's just organic range stuff that is labelled as vegan if it is vegan, or lots of other vegan products (no Sainsbury's near to home so I rarely shop there), but I've never seen any vegan labelling on Safeway or Tesco own brand products so far.

Lesley

---

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).

Version: 6.0.394 / Virus Database: 224 - Release 03/10/2002

Guest guest

-

" Mavreela " <nec.lists

Thursday, November 07, 2002 11:45 AM

>

> >If they stocked vegan products in one section it would it would make it

> >easier to shop there.

>>>>

> The fact is the line between what is and is not vegan is somewhat blurred

>

> Michael

>

> I assume the legal use of the word vegan, allows products to be called

vegan, if there are no animal ingredients purposely used in the product, or

any forseeable cross-contamination, ie shared machinery etc.

I contacted sainsburys and suggested a separate section for labelled vegan

products, and was told it would be put to head office,If enough people

contacted them, they might take notice,surely a separate section has to be

better than having to view the dismembered body parts of animals from time

to time.

Simon

>

> ~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author,

> there may be another side to the story you have not heard.

> ---------------------------

> Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>

> Un: send a blank message to -

>

>

Guest guest

Thanks for the info Cathy Still boycotted then

cathyjupp [cj] 08 November 2002 19:18 Subject: Re: Sainsburys, "Angie Wright" <angiewright@n...> wrote:> I used to boycott Waitrose because it is John Lewis but they have> stopped their bird shooting week ends so I can't think of a reason now> > AngieThe fact that they sell pate de fois gras is good enough reason for me. Shame though, because they also sell just about the best range of vegan food I've seen outside of a HFS.Cathyxx~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

Is it ? I was being serious . But it is late and I'm very tired

cathyjupp [cj] 08 November 2002 19:19 Subject: Re: Sainsburys, "Angie Wright" <angiewright@n...> wrote:> I agree with the points you mention Lesley . We need to pull together> and complain more > > AngieSurely more irony?Cxx~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002 22:30:21 -0000, " Angie Wright "

<angiewright wrote:

>I have not yet seen any foods labelled vegan.

They're definitely doing it on some own brand food products (have a

look at the bread for instance). Not as much as the Co-op, but it's a

start.

>If people didn't have dairy herds supermarkets couldn't profit by it .

>Sainsbury has its own herds so benefits twice.

True, but all supermarkets ultimately have similar amounts of dairy

produce at the end of the day.

>veal farming is especially cruel and sainsburys is part of that

>more so than other companies.

How are they worse than the others?

>he is also a Tory MP

Well I do have nothing but contempt for the Tories and everything they

stand for.

>and they say they are not doing things for vegans.

Are any of the main political parties? Or do you mean Sainsburys?!

Sainsburys are doing things for vegans having started to alter their

labelling. Apart from the Co-Op, what other supermarkets are " doing

things for vegans " ?

>not sure why you are defending sainsburys. The others may be rotten too

>but I don't know what is wrong with them ---so tell me

I'm not defending Sainsburys as such, just pointing out that they're

all pretty much as bad as each other.

>Which supermarkets sell veal ?

I don't know, I'm afraid. I try not to look at the dead things. If

Sainsburys were worse in this respect than the others, I would stop

shopping there.

>I also take ages to forgive so I don't shop in John Lewis/Waitrose

As others have said, maybe we all need to be more proactive in making

sure businesses know why we do and don't do certain things?

>I use Co-op a lot (my local shop ) but complained when they stopped

>doing vegemince. I like the bags too

The Co-Ops around here are too small and don't stock enough things of

interest to my wife and I, sadly, otherwise we'd shop there

exclusively. They also haven't launched a home delivery service yet,

which is a pity as they've probably missed the boat now.

>I think we need to complain more in order to get what we want

I think you might be right, but it'll need a concerted effort, I

think, as we're too much of a voice in the wilderness on our own.

Chris W

Guest guest

Our local Safeways is now promoting Halal meat, with a poster in the window "Hello to Halal".

I still shop there but I did complain to customer services that it was cruel, no pre-stunning, and in fact that all meat was cruel and I objected to all meat promotions and their leaflets with bits of dead animal pictures which from time to time come through my door! I told them that it had just been National Vegan Week, so I asked why considering their respect for the Islamic minority they hadn't shown the same respect for the vegan minority and taken part in NVW and done a special vegan foods promotion?

They said it was up to head office not the local branches. They have allowed me to opt out of the promotional leaflets through the door though.

Lesley

Angie Wright [angiewright]08 November 2002 22:30 Subject: RE: Sainsburys

I have not yet seen any foods labelled vegan.

If people didn't have dairy herds supermarkets couldn't profit by it . Sainsbury has its own herds so benefits twice .

veal farming is especially cruel and sainsburys is part of that more so than other companies .

he is also a Tory MP and they say they are not doing things for vegans . Certainly mixing icecream with a dead body shows no respect for us . It is in the Kosher section . May be only in Nottingham ,But if people see it they could complain

not sure why you are defending sainsburys. The others may be rotten too but I don't know what is wrong with them ---so tell me

Which supermarkets sell veal ?

I also take ages to forgive so I don't shop in John Lewis/Waitrose

I use Co-op a lot (my local shop ) but complained when they stopped doing vegemince. I like the bags too

They stopped doing soya milk a few months ago . Can't think why It always sold out . I think we need to complain more in order to get what we want

Chris W [chrisw] 08 November 2002 08:09 Subject: Re: SainsburysAll sell supermarkets sell dairy and veal, and therefore contribute tothe continued suffering, so I don't really see that it makes muchdifference if a supermarket has it's own herds or not.I don't understand why you're saying they're not interested whenthey've started labelling some foods as being vegan - more than allbut one of the others are doing.I can't say I've ever seen meat in close proximity to ice cream in anystore. Freezers can be quite long, so are you saying that you've seenmeat actually alongside ice cream? Might this be store-specific ratherthan general policy?Personally, I find it hard to forgive them for that, and haven't asyet. Locally here, a lot of mature trees were cut down in the towncentre to build a Waitrose store that wasn't needed anyway.Chris W~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

>Anyway, What do you call a cabbage with more than two legs that you can eat

>off? or even a potato with more than two legs that you can eat off?

>

>The answer is an easy one!

Is it? I don't even understand the question!

Michael

Guest guest

Is it a vege-table? That's terrible!

ELizabeth

, Mavreela <nec.lists@m...> wrote:

>

> >Anyway, What do you call a cabbage with more than two legs that

you can eat

> >off? or even a potato with more than two legs that you can eat off?

> >

> >The answer is an easy one!

>

> Is it? I don't even understand the question!

>

> Michael

Guest guest

-

" Mavreela " <nec.lists

Thursday, November 07, 2002 11:45 AM

>

> >If they stocked vegan products in one section it would it would make it

> >easier to shop there.

>

> You mean like Heinz baked beans on one side of the store with the carrots

> and toilet paper, and the Crosse & Blackwell baked beans on the other side

> with the waxed apples and the salt & vinegar crisps?>

Supermarkets and health-shops do try to organize stock in a certain order;

Fruit & vegetable together, biscuits & cakes,etc. To me it seems an obvious

conclusion, to stock the labelled Vegan & Vegetarian produce in one area.

The person I spoke with, at sainburys, wasn't humouring me when she said she

would pass the suggestion on to their head-office,

Anyway, What do you call a cabbage with more than two legs that you can eat

off? or even a potato with more than two legs that you can eat off?

The answer is an easy one!

Simon

> http://us.click./RrPZMC/jTmEAA/jd3IAA/PVjolB/TM

> ---~->

>

>

>

Guest guest

-

" M1SSSUP3RSTAR " <elizabeth.beesley

Monday, November 11, 2002 8:11 AM

yeah! I'm out of here.>

S.

> Is it a vege-table? That's terrible!

>

> ELizabeth

>

> , Mavreela <nec.lists@m...> wrote:

> >

> > >Anyway, What do you call a cabbage with more than two legs that

> you can eat

> > >off? or even a potato with more than two legs that you can eat off?

> > >

> > >The answer is an easy one!

> >

> > Is it? I don't even understand the question!

> >

> > Michael

>

>

>

>