Guest guest

(unknown)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Caterina Zibordi wrote:

>

> I just bought a pakage of nutritional yeast and still haven't opened

> it: I was wondering if I will need to keep the opened pakage in the

> fridge or not. do you have suggestions?

I wouldn't think so. It's my understanding that the stuff lasts roughly

forever.

Serene

Guest guest

Michelle Orlando wrote:

> I like to take a few very ripe avocado and smoosh it or use a hand

> blender for a smoother blend. Trader Joes has some great chips

> called Identity crisis chips (three different types, corn, potato,

> tortilla)..

Not anywhere near fat-free.

> along with some corn salsa is always a hit..

>

> Trader Joes vegan sausage...wrap either in a wrap or Pillsbury roll

Not vegan, not fat-free.

> w/sauteed mushrooms, peppers, onions and serve with horseradish

> mustard..

>

> Spinach, mushroom/onion quesadillas;

Not fat-free, not usually vegan.

Serene

Guest guest

Hi Sarah. I have a Black and Decker food processor, and it's fine, but I've had others that were easier to get used to and it cost around $40.00, I think. Most any processor will do the job, though. My ice cream maker is Cuisinart and I got it on Amazon for $50.00 and I love it. I also have a Cuisinart immersion blender, but I just got it for my birthday and haven't used it yet. They come in handy many times when something needs to be blended, but doesn't require a food processor or a blender. I have a blender, too which gets used every single day for my breakfast smoothie.Patricia--- On Sun, 3/7/10, Sarah Tomecek <sarah.tomecek wrote:Sarah

Tomecek <sarah.tomecek (unknown) Date: Sunday, March 7, 2010, 8:11 AM

Soooo I'm obsessed with hummus and ice cream (not together just in general) I have an inkling that if I were to make these from scratch rather than buying soy ice cream (which is EXPENSIVE) and hummus every week I'd be saving a lot of money. I need pretty new supplies to do this though. Any suggestions on what shiny appliances I should rush to the store for? I'm looking for ice cream makers and food processors, which are reasonably priced and good quality. Can anybody think of

any?

Guest guest

I bought a Morphy Richards mini chopper this weekend. I used it to make hummous and was very impressed with the texture I was able to produce with it (just like store bought hummous, which I've struggled to achieve with other food processors, which tend to make it coarser). It's just the right size to make about 2 cups of hummous and is very easy to clean by running it under the tap. (I think it's dishwasher safe too but would need to check that). Despite being called a mini chopper it's a larger capacity chopper than the other small choppers out there, I think the jug part has a 650ml capacity whilst the others are about 500ml. Nice and quiet and very easy to use - you just press the top to start it and when you let go it immediately stops. Best of all it was very cheap - less than £20 in Argos. (I think it was £12.99? Not sure exactly as DH got it for me).

Opalline

On Behalf Of Sarah Tomecek07 March 2010 16:11 Subject: (unknown)

"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not theintended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error hasmisdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."

"Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems issubject to monitoring and auditing."

Guest guest

Opalline,

Please could you give me the recipe for hummous that you use? I love the stuff, but have never found a home-made version that resembled the shop-bought product. This is the only food that I prefer shop-bought, but it seems ridiculous, as it's such a simple combination of ingredients.

Many thanks,

Kathleen

Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER Mon, 8 March, 2010 9:40:39RE: (unknown)

I bought a Morphy Richards mini chopper this weekend. I used it to make hummous and was very impressed with the texture I was able to produce with it (just like store bought hummous, which I've struggled to achieve with other food processors, which tend to make it coarser). It's just the right size to make about 2 cups of hummous and is very easy to clean by running it under the tap. (I think it's dishwasher safe too but would need to check that). Despite being called a mini chopper it's a larger capacity chopper than the other small choppers out there, I think the jug part has a 650ml capacity whilst the others are about 500ml. Nice and quiet and very easy to use - you just press the top to start it and when you let go it immediately stops. Best of all it was very cheap - less than £20 in Argos. (I think it was £12.99? Not sure exactly

as DH got it for me).

Opalline

@gro ups.com [vegan_ chat@ .com] On Behalf Of Sarah Tomecek07 March 2010 16:11@gro ups.com (unknown)

"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not theintended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error hasmisdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."

"Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems issubject to monitoring and auditing."

Guest guest

Hi Kathleen,

Of course. I prefer shop bought hoummous too :)

The recipe I use is from the 21 day vegan kickstart program I've been following

recently, and all their recipes are super healthy, so it's one that doesn't use

any oil.

1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained

2 tablespoons tahini

1/4 cup lemon juice

3 green onions (spring onions), chopped

1 tablespoon chopped garlic

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 cup roasted red peppers (optional)

Put beans, tahini, lemon juice, green onions, garlic, cumin, black pepper, and

roasted peppers, if using, in food processor and process until smooth. Add a

little water if needed, for a smoother consistency. (I didn't need to do this

and I also didn't use the red peppers).

IMO this recipe still needs some tweaking to taste just like the shop bought

kind... when I did it in the Morphy Richards processor I mentioned before, the

TEXTURE was perfect and just like shop bought hoummous, but the taste isn't

quite spot on yet. It's one of the closest approximations I've come across, but

not exactly the same. Next time I try it I plan to use a little olive oil,

slightly more garlic, less tahini and some extra salt. I'm also thinking of

adding a little vinegar or slightly more lemon juice as sometimes shop bought

hoummous has a slight acidic taste that isn't there in a lot of the home made

kinds.

Opalline

On Behalf

Of Kathleen Lloyd

15 March 2010 23:57

Re: (unknown)

Opalline,

Please could you give me the recipe for hummous that you use? I love the stuff,

but have never found a home-made version that resembled the shop-bought product.

This is the only food that I prefer shop-bought, but it seems ridiculous, as

it's such a simple combination of ingredients.

Many thanks,

Kathleen

" This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not the

intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,

or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error has

misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail. "

" Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems is

subject to monitoring and auditing. "

Guest guest

We have to be careful in the UK as many of the shop-bought hummous contain dairy

products.

Jo

, Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER wrote:

>

> Hi Kathleen,

>

> Of course. I prefer shop bought hoummous too :)

>

> The recipe I use is from the 21 day vegan kickstart program I've been

following recently, and all their recipes are super healthy, so it's one that

doesn't use any oil.

>

> 1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained

> 2 tablespoons tahini

> 1/4 cup lemon juice

> 3 green onions (spring onions), chopped

> 1 tablespoon chopped garlic

> 1 teaspoon ground cumin

> 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

> 1/2 cup roasted red peppers (optional)

> Put beans, tahini, lemon juice, green onions, garlic, cumin, black pepper, and

roasted peppers, if using, in food processor and process until smooth. Add a

>

> IMO this recipe still needs some tweaking to taste just like the shop bought

kinds.

>

> Opalline

>

> ________________________________

>

> On Behalf

Of Kathleen Lloyd

> 15 March 2010 23:57

>

> Re: (unknown)

>

>

>

>

> Opalline,

> Please could you give me the recipe for hummous that you use? I love the

stuff, but have never found a home-made version that resembled the shop-bought

product. This is the only food that I prefer shop-bought, but it seems

ridiculous, as it's such a simple combination of ingredients.

> Many thanks,

> Kathleen

>

> " This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not the

> intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,

> or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error has

> misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail. "

>

> " Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems is

> subject to monitoring and auditing. "

>

Guest guest

Really? What do they put in it?Patricia--- On Wed, 3/17/10, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:heartwerk <jo.heartwork Re: (unknown) Date: Wednesday, March 17, 2010, 12:45 AMWe have to be careful in the UK as many of the shop-bought hummous contain dairy products.Jo , Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER wrote:>> Hi Kathleen,> > Of course. I prefer shop bought

hoummous too :)> > The recipe I use is from the 21 day vegan kickstart program I've been following recently, and all their recipes are super healthy, so it's one that doesn't use any oil.> > 1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained > 2 tablespoons tahini > 1/4 cup lemon juice > 3 green onions (spring onions), chopped > 1 tablespoon chopped garlic > 1 teaspoon ground cumin > 1/2 teaspoon black pepper > 1/2 cup roasted red peppers (optional) > Put beans, tahini, lemon juice, green onions, garlic, cumin, black pepper, and roasted peppers, if using, in food processor and process until smooth. Add a little water if needed, for a smoother consistency. (I didn't need to do this and I also didn't use the red peppers). > > IMO this recipe still needs some tweaking to taste just like the shop bought kind... when I did it in the Morphy Richards processor

I mentioned before, the TEXTURE was perfect and just like shop bought hoummous, but the taste isn't quite spot on yet. It's one of the closest approximations I've come across, but not exactly the same. Next time I try it I plan to use a little olive oil, slightly more garlic, less tahini and some extra salt. I'm also thinking of adding a little vinegar or slightly more lemon juice as sometimes shop bought hoummous has a slight acidic taste that isn't there in a lot of the home made kinds. > > Opalline> > ________________________________> > On Behalf Of Kathleen Lloyd> 15 March 2010 23:57> > Re: (unknown)> > > > > Opalline,> Please could you give me the recipe for hummous that you use? I love the stuff, but have never found a home-made version that resembled the shop-bought product. This is the only food that I prefer shop-bought, but it seems ridiculous, as it's such a simple combination of ingredients.> Many thanks,> Kathleen> > "This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not the> intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,> or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error has> misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."> > "Recipients should note that all

e-mail traffic on MOD systems is> subject to monitoring and auditing.">---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>

Guest guest

I'll check this evening - I am at work this morning.

Jo

, Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 wrote:

>

> Really? What do they put in it?

>

> Patricia

>

> --- On Wed, 3/17/10, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

>

> heartwerk <jo.heartwork

> Re: (unknown)

>

> Wednesday, March 17, 2010, 12:45 AM

>

> We have to be careful in the UK as many of the shop-bought hummous contain

dairy products.

>

> Jo

>

> , Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER@> wrote:

> >

> > Hi Kathleen,

> >

> > Of course. I prefer shop bought hoummous too :)

> >

> > The recipe I use is from the 21 day vegan kickstart program I've been

following recently, and all their recipes are super healthy, so it's one that

doesn't use any oil.

> >

> > 1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained

> > 2 tablespoons tahini 

> > 1/4 cup lemon juice

> > 3 green onions (spring onions), chopped

> > 1 tablespoon chopped garlic

> > 1 teaspoon ground cumin

> > 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

> > 1/2 cup roasted red peppers (optional)

> > Put beans, tahini, lemon juice, green onions, garlic, cumin, black pepper,

and roasted peppers, if using, in food processor and process until smooth. Add a

> > 

> > IMO this recipe still needs some tweaking to taste just like the shop bought

kinds.

> >

> > Opalline

> >

> > ________________________________

> >

> > On

Behalf Of Kathleen Lloyd

> > 15 March 2010 23:57

> >

> > Re: (unknown)

> >

> >

> >   

> >

> > Opalline,

> > Please could you give me the recipe for hummous that you use?  I love the

stuff, but have never found a home-made version that resembled the shop-bought

product.  This is the only food that I prefer shop-bought, but it seems

ridiculous, as it's such a simple combination of ingredients.

> > Many thanks,

> > Kathleen

> >

> > " This e-mail is intended for the recipient only.  If you are not the

> > intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,

> > or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error has

> > misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this

e-mail. "

> >

> > " Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems is

> > subject to monitoring and auditing. "

> >

>

>

>

>

> ---

>

> To send an email to -! Groups Links

>

Guest guest

I haven't seen any hummous that has dairy in it (can be yogurt) from own label-supermarket brands. The only time we came across it was in a cafe in Scotland, and the waitress was really good as we asked for hummous and she pointed out it contaned yogurt!! Any one less informed about veganism wouldn't have cared. --- On Thu, 3/18/10, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

heartwerk <jo.heartwork Re: (unknown) Date: Thursday, March 18, 2010, 7:50 AM

I'll check this evening - I am at work this morning.Jo@gro ups.com, Patricia <moondreamer64_ 2000 wrote:>> Really? What do they put in it?> > Patricia> > --- On Wed, 3/17/10, heartwerk <jo.heartwork@ ...> wrote:> > heartwerk <jo.heartwork@ ...>> Re: (unknown)> @gro ups.com> Wednesday, March 17, 2010, 12:45 AM> > We have to be careful in the UK as many of the shop-bought hummous contain dairy products.> > Jo>

> @gro ups.com, Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER@> wrote:> >> > Hi Kathleen,> > > > Of course. I prefer shop bought hoummous too :)> > > > The recipe I use is from the 21 day vegan kickstart program I've been following recently, and all their recipes are super healthy, so it's one that doesn't use any oil.> > > > 1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained > > 2 tablespoons tahini > > 1/4 cup lemon juice > > 3 green onions (spring onions), chopped > > 1 tablespoon chopped garlic > > 1 teaspoon ground cumin > > 1/2 teaspoon black pepper > > 1/2 cup roasted red peppers (optional) > > Put beans,

tahini, lemon juice, green onions, garlic, cumin, black pepper, and roasted peppers, if using, in food processor and process until smooth. Add a little water if needed, for a smoother consistency. (I didn't need to do this and I also didn't use the red peppers). > > > > IMO this recipe still needs some tweaking to taste just like the shop bought kind... when I did it in the Morphy Richards processor I mentioned before, the TEXTURE was perfect and just like shop bought hoummous, but the taste isn't quite spot on yet. It's one of the closest approximations I've come across, but not exactly the same. Next time I try it I plan to use a little olive oil, slightly more garlic, less tahini and some extra salt. I'm also thinking of adding a little vinegar or slightly more lemon juice as sometimes shop bought hoummous has a slight acidic taste that isn't there in a lot of the home made kinds. > > > > Opalline>

> > > ____________ _________ _________ __> > > > @gro ups.com [@gro ups.com] On Behalf Of Kathleen Lloyd> > 15 March 2010 23:57> > @gro ups.com> > Re: (unknown)> > > > > > > > > > Opalline,> > Please could you give me the recipe for hummous that you

use? I love the stuff, but have never found a home-made version that resembled the shop-bought product. This is the only food that I prefer shop-bought, but it seems ridiculous, as it's such a simple combination of ingredients.> > Many thanks,> > Kathleen> > > > "This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not the> > intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,> > or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error has> > misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."> > > > "Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems is> > subject to monitoring and auditing."> >> > > > > ------------ --------- --------- ------> > To send an email to -unsubscr ibe!

Groups Links>

Guest guest

Thanks very much, Opalline. I'll give your tweaked version a try.

Kind regards,

Kathleen

Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER Tue, 16 March, 2010 10:37:36RE: (unknown)

Hi Kathleen,Of course. I prefer shop bought hoummous too :)The recipe I use is from the 21 day vegan kickstart program I've been following recently, and all their recipes are super healthy, so it's one that doesn't use any oil.1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained 2 tablespoons tahini 1/4 cup lemon juice 3 green onions (spring onions), chopped 1 tablespoon chopped garlic 1 teaspoon ground cumin 1/2 teaspoon black pepper 1/2 cup roasted red peppers (optional) Put beans, tahini, lemon juice, green onions, garlic, cumin, black pepper, and roasted peppers, if using, in food processor and process until smooth. Add a little water if needed, for a smoother consistency. (I didn't need to do this and I also didn't use the red peppers). IMO this recipe still needs some tweaking to taste just like the shop bought kind... when I did it in the Morphy Richards processor I mentioned before, the

TEXTURE was perfect and just like shop bought hoummous, but the taste isn't quite spot on yet. It's one of the closest approximations I've come across, but not exactly the same. Next time I try it I plan to use a little olive oil, slightly more garlic, less tahini and some extra salt. I'm also thinking of adding a little vinegar or slightly more lemon juice as sometimes shop bought hoummous has a slight acidic taste that isn't there in a lot of the home made kinds. Opalline____________ _________ _________ __@gro ups.com [@gro ups.com] On Behalf Of Kathleen Lloyd15 March 2010 23:57@gro ups.comRe: (unknown)Opalline,Please could you give me the recipe for hummous that you use? I love the stuff, but have never found a home-made version that resembled the shop-bought product. This is the only food that I prefer shop-bought, but it seems ridiculous, as it's such a simple combination of ingredients.Many thanks,Kathleen"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not theintended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error hasmisdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail.""Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems issubject to monitoring and auditing."

Guest guest

You are very welcome - hope you like the results!

Opalline

Thanks very much, Opalline. I'll give your tweaked version a try.

Kind regards,

Kathleen

Guest guest

I love fresh cherries, but have never really cooked with them (apart from

putting glace cherries on top of cakes). I must try some different recipes.

Jo

, " Jackie Thipthorpe " <jttranscripts

wrote:

>

> Wow, thank you! I can't wait to get some cherries now.

>

>

>

> Jackie Thipthorpe

>

> JT Transcripts

>

> www.jttranscripts.com

>

> jttranscripts

>

Guest guest

Same here, in Mississippi, Sue.  I was wondering where the original poster was.  I love figs but can only get them for a brief couple of weeks in the summer, if I'm lucky enough to be in the farmers' market at the right time or close to someone who has a tree.  (My fig tree is only about 3 feet tall and the couple of figs it produces each year are quickly eaten by the birds.)

Susan-------------------------Susan Voisinhttp://fatfreevegan.comhttp://blog.fatfreevegan.com

http://www.facebook.com/FatFreeVegan--------------------------

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 12:13 PM, <sueherm wrote:

I wonder where those figs are grown.  I'm in Southern California and our fig tree just started sprouting leaves a few weeks ago.  I know we won't have figs for at least 2 months.

Guest guest

looks like some spam got thru.

someones got a virus er has been hacked

Jerrrold Fuller Apr 29, 2010 11:17 PM , Veraeuro, vjgilmore, vmarchello, vida-246, ascreenname, wdeg (unknown)

www.usj2.tabl-online.com

Some of my friends sit around every evening

And they worry about the times ahead

But everybody else is overwhelmed by indifference

And the promise of an early bed

You either shut up or get cut up, they don't wanna hear about it

It's only inches on the reel-to-reel

And the radio is in the hands of such a lot of fools

Tryin' to anaesthetise the way that you feel

Radio Radio

Guest guest

howdy!