However, after attending an herbal seminar last spring, we have included

garlic in our diet. Eat a clove of garllic every day...followed by some

fresh parsley. The parsley will take away the garlic breath. It has helped

my dh, and I guess me as well. Although I am overweight, I do not have high

cholesterol. I'm not saying that overweight always means high cholersterol,

but the doctors will tell you that,<G>.

>

> Just found ou that my cholesterol is higher than it should be, but do not

> want to take the meds. does any one have any suggestions, herbal or eo?

Sandi:

Juice Plus would be a start. But don't get overly concerned about the

doctors saying you are high. According to a doctor in Melbourne

Florida, unless you have heart disease or have had a heart attack it

is absolutely unneccesary for you to worry about " high cholesterol " .

And what is HIGH??? What/who are they comparing you too???.

They say I'm high also, 225 total cholesterol, and I just tell them

I'm working on it and that I will not go on those STATINS that have

side effects greater than the " risk " of a heart attack.

So hold your ground and try " Juice Plus " . For more information you

can go to Juiceplus.com

Barbara

Tallahassee, FL.

> Just found ou that my cholesterol is higher than it should be, but

do not

> want to take the meds. does any one have any suggestions, herbal

or eo? have

> already changed diet, and exercise too.

>

> Thanks to all in advance

> sandi

>

>

>

• 11 months later...

Inherited cholesterol just means that you have a tendancy to have high cholesterol due to your genes. Try some of the herbs that have suggested and see if that helps! Dawn Herbalist, Aromatherapistshooting7str8 wrote: Hi, When the Dr. says your high cholesterol is inherited does one then have to go on medication? Or can it still be controlled by diet? (So far the diet changes have not helped). Thanks, Brenda

Brenda-

Even though your family may have a history of high cholesterol it doesn't mean that you can't control it naturally....

My family has a history of heart disease. (Both Grandfathers died from heart problems) But because I, personally, have taken responsibility for my own health, I know that heart problems won't affect me. Nature has given us everything we need to survive, prosper and heal. We just need to walk the path of doing this. I believe that if you take prescription drugs that you are putting your health in someone else's hands. Plus your body will need to detox from the chemicals that the drugs are made up of. This puts added strain on your liver and kidneys....

Here are some things I recommend:

-avoid all animal fat

-avoid pasta, white bread, etc....

-moving diet to raw fruits and veggies

-intestinal cleansing

-increase raw garlic intake (6-10 cloves a day)

There is great information on intestinal cleansing in the files section.

Here is some garlic advice (cut and pasted) that I have given to others.

Garlic:

Every person I mention this too, cringes. I have had 4 people do this after some coaxing and they all say that it isn’t that bad and the garlic is almost unnoticeable. Garlic is probably the most complete herb out there. It is detoxify, rejuvenating, an anti-inflammatory as well as a broad spectrum anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal. If I had to choose one herb to heal with it would be this. So this is what you do. Take 6-10 cloves of organic garlic and peel. Slice each clove once with the grain, then continue chopping until you have pieces small enough that you can swallow. Put in a bowl and mix them with a little bit of organic olive oil. (The olive oil helps the body digest them and it also helps them going down the hatch.) Then with a lot of water put the chopped up garlic in your mouth and swallow like pills. There is no need to chew. If you do chew you will much more likely have the dreaded garlic breath!!

Hope this helps,

Rob

herbal remedies [herbal remedies ]On Behalf Of shooting7str8Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2005 7:17 PMherbal remedies Subject: Herbal Remedies - high cholesterol

Hi,

When the Dr. says your high cholesterol is inherited does one then have to go on medication?

Or can it still be controlled by diet? (So far the diet changes have not helped).

Thanks,

Brenda

When the Dr. says your high cholesterol is inherited, he's wrong.

A high cholesterol is created by the individual.

Doc

Doc Shillington727-447-5282Doc

-

shooting7str8

herbal remedies

Thursday, December 15, 2005 7:16 PM

Herbal Remedies - high cholesterol

Hi,

When the Dr. says your high cholesterol is inherited does one then have to go on medication?

Or can it still be controlled by diet? (So far the diet changes have not helped).

Thanks,

Brenda

that is interesting Doc..that is what the dr told my mom, that her cholesterol was inherited. She is almost 51 and this is the first time that she has had higher cholesterol..i told her to go back to working out and lower her sugars and pastas, etc....we eat a lot of organic but not totally.

Do you believe that with most things...for instance, is hair thinning just genetic or can herbs help????

Jasmine

herbal remedies [herbal remedies ] On Behalf Of Dr. Ian ShillingtonThursday, December 22, 2005 1:15 PMherbal remedies Subject: Re: Herbal Remedies - high cholesterol

Doc

-

shooting7str8

herbal remedies

Hi,

Thanks,

Brenda

A lot gets blamed on genetics by the Medicos so as to relieve them of any responsibility for finding "Causes".

Hair thinning can be genetic. It is common for receding hairlines to run in a family. On the other hand, good diet can slow this process down. Valorie's father who's over 80 started taking the Total Nutrition and after 6 months started re-growing curly brown hair. Previously, he'd been as bald as a billiard ball. ;-)

Genetic "whys" are always the last place I look. In the thousands of patients I've dealt with, only a handful (less than five) were suffering from Genetic problems that were truly familial in nature.

In Health and Love,

Doc

-

Abbas, Jasmine

herbal remedies

Thursday, December 22, 2005 1:36 PM

RE: Herbal Remedies - high cholesterol

that is interesting Doc..that is what the dr told my mom, that her cholesterol was inherited. She is almost 51 and this is the first time that she has had higher cholesterol..i told her to go back to working out and lower her sugars and pastas, etc....we eat a lot of organic but not totally.

Do you believe that with most things...for instance, is hair thinning just genetic or can herbs help????

Jasmine

herbal remedies [herbal remedies ] On Behalf Of Dr. Ian ShillingtonThursday, December 22, 2005 1:15 PMherbal remedies Subject: Re: Herbal Remedies - high cholesterol

Doc

-

shooting7str8

herbal remedies

Hi,

Thanks,

Brenda

What was the official diagnosis for the face numbness and blurred vision? Was it a TIA or transiant stroke or stroke or something else? Dawn, Herbalsit, Aroamtherapist, nurse MrsHatcher2B <dcaston2003 wrote: I was told i have high cholesterol and i have to see a heart doctor. They will put me on meds.. i had numbness in my face and blurred vision. Any suggestions? Thanks Debra

Photos Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.

Well they didn't say they are sending me to another doctor. i'm assuming it's because of the high cholesterol they didn't say it was a stroke for sure.. i'm only 43 years old i never felt sick i never even get a cold it's been years since i had the flu.. this all seems crazy to me... my cholesterol has been as high as 399 right now it's 263 Thank You Dawn dawn gates <dawnsenchantedgarden wrote: What was the official diagnosis for the face numbness and blurred vision? Was it a TIA or transiant stroke or stroke or something else? Dawn, Herbalsit, Aroamtherapist, nurse MrsHatcher2B <dcaston2003 wrote: I was told i have high cholesterol and i have to see a heart doctor. They will put me on meds.. i had numbness in my face and blurred vision. Any suggestions? Thanks Debra PhotosRing in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.

DSL Something to write home about. Just $16.99/mo. or less

• 1 month later...

Red Yeast Rice from a health food store.

> " Penni " <chirowife03

>herbal remedies

>herbal remedies

>Herbal Remedies - High Cholesterol

>Sat, 18 Feb 2006 12:51:41 -0000

>

>Anyone know of anything that helps really get the cholesterol down??

>

>Penni

>

>

>

>

>

>

Dear, Any side effects of Red Yeast Rice. How effective is this and how long it takes to see the results. Which is the best kit to test cholesterol? Thanks Rajanjan malinowski <janmalinowski wrote: Red Yeast Rice from a health food store.>"Penni" <chirowife03>herbal remedies >herbal remedies >Herbal Remedies - High Cholesterol>Sat, 18 Feb 2006 12:51:41 -0000>>Anyone know of anything that helps really get the cholesterol down??>>Penni>>>>>>

Relax. Mail virus scanning helps detect nasty viruses!

• 6 months later...

Try the following: Either ProFibe (buy over the net, just Profibe) or take a whole grapefruit, peel the skin and put the rest in a blender and then drink it.

How low will we go? Check out Messenger’s low PC-to-Phone call rates.

• 1 year later...
Guest guest

In numerous studies, not funded by makers of statin drugs, you are

right on with your numbers. In a study I did back in the late 80's the

ideal number was around 212.

Mark Schauss

www.ToxicWorldBook.com

, Jim Clark

<huuman60 wrote:

>

> According to the doctors that I listen to, 200- 220 Cholesterol is

> great and quite normal. Too low and you are liable to cancer and

mental

> deterioration (since the brain is mainly cholesterol). Anything over

> 300 and you probably have some health and diet issues that you should

> address.

>

>

>

• 6 months later...

Dr. Price traveled to and studied 14 native cultures (in Europe,

Canada, Africa, South America, Australia, New Zealand and a number of

Pacific island nations). What he discovered is that when native people

lived in isolation from modern civilization, practiced their own

traditional methods of maintaining their health, and ate only their

traditional foods, they were healthier, had no need for a doctor, had

perfect dental arches, very few cavities, and DID NOT suffer from ANY

degenerative diseases like heart disease, cancer, tuberculosis, etc).

But for those natives who were exposed to the modern unhealthy white

man's diet and lifestyle, they suffered enormous tooth decay, their

children had jaws with crowded teeth, and they suffered from a

multitude of degenerative diseases. As soon as these natives went back

to their traditional ways of life, their good health was restored.

The bottom line conclusion is that our modern white man's diet IS like

poison for us and IS the direct cause of heart disease.

Josephine

>

>      My understanding is that Weston Price, a dentist who lived in

the 30's, went around the world studying other cultures and peoples.

He discovered that the indigenous peoples especially island dwellers

who ate a simple unrefined diet ate the most cholesterol, the most

fat, had the highest cholesterol levels, were skinny and energetic and

commonly lived past 100. That's what I understand, anyway. Check with

the Weston A Price Foundation.

> Hugh

>

Thanks Josephine. I was unclear about the details.

Hugh

jlkinkona <josephine Sent: Saturday, September 20, 2008 3:56:08 AM Re: high cholesterol

Dr. Price traveled to and studied 14 native cultures (in Europe,Canada, Africa, South America, Australia, New Zealand and a number ofPacific island nations). What he discovered is that when native peoplelived in isolation from modern civilization, practiced their owntraditional methods of maintaining their health, and ate only theirtraditional foods, they were healthier, had no need for a doctor, hadperfect dental arches, very few cavities, and DID NOT suffer from ANYdegenerative diseases like heart disease, cancer, tuberculosis, etc).But for those natives who were exposed to the modern unhealthy whiteman's diet and lifestyle, they suffered enormous tooth decay, theirchildren had jaws with crowded teeth, and they suffered from amultitude of degenerative diseases. As soon as these natives went backto their traditional ways of life, their good health was restored. The bottom line conclusion is that our

modern white man's diet IS likepoison for us and IS the direct cause of heart disease. Josephine> > My understanding is that Weston Price, a dentist who lived inthe 30's, went around the world studying other cultures and peoples.He discovered that the indigenous peoples especially island dwellerswho ate a simple unrefined diet ate the most cholesterol, the mostfat, had the highest cholesterol levels, were skinny and energetic andcommonly lived past 100. That's what I understand, anyway. Check withthe Weston A Price Foundation.> Hugh>

Join the "Price" club. Get alkaline.

Eat natural unprocessed foods. Do not overcook or microwave them.. Cut out all dairy products for at least three months. Eat minimal amounts of grains Exclude corn, white potato, and wheat. Eat plenty of eggs - minimally cooked and definitely not fried. Eat wild, cold-water fish. Eat antibiotic and hormone-free organically grown chicken and beef. Cut back on fruit to two or three servings per day. Load up on vegetables. No sodas or fruit juices. And mostly - no refined sugar and flour. Take cod liver oil and fish oil supplements and extra vitamin C.--- On Sat, 9/20/08, Hugh Ramsdell <hughman73 wrote:

Hugh Ramsdell <hughman73 high cholesterol Date: Saturday, September 20, 2008, 5:27 AM

I've been struggling with this one. I agree with the articles thathave been posted about how cholesterol is needed by the body, andheard alot about the so-called cholesterol hoax. But mine is over 300total. And I pay alot of attention to my diet,consume very low levelsof cholesterol, have been mostly vegetarian most of my life, so it hasto be something my liver is doing, possibly genetic, although I haveno knowledge of what my now deceased parents cholesterol levels were,and they lived to a ripe old age, did not have heart disease that iknew of. I'm definitely not willing to take statins.I'd be curious who these people are, Hugh. Where do they live and

whatis their lifestyle, diet, etc.Sunny

My father lived to be 90 and had heart disease which killed him. He never took statins or worried about cholesterol. My mother is still living and at 93 also has heart disease but has never taken statins nor worried about cholesterol. I'm 57, fat, diabetic, have atrial fib, have a pacer, don't take statins, and my last cholesterol was 313. 17 years ago my trig was 2480 and cholesterol was 880. I took Mevacor for 8 mos and when I stopped my chol and trig respectively were 141 and 144.

My understanding is that Weston Price, a dentist who lived in the 30's, went around the world studying other cultures and peoples. He discovered that the indigenous peoples especially island dwellers who ate a simple unrefined diet ate the most cholesterol, the most fat, had the highest cholesterol levels, were skinny and energetic and commonly lived past 100. That's what I understand, anyway. Check with the Weston A Price Foundation.

Hugh

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Hidden Truth

About

Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs!

Revised and Expanded

By Shane Ellison, M.Sc.

Courtesy of:

www.healthmyths. net

Myth:

Cholesterol is

Bad for You.

Fact:

Cholesterol is

vital for most

bodily functions.

In fact,

high cholesterol

increases

longevity.

Preface……………………………………………………………………………………… 3

Turning Healthy People Into Patients…………………………………………………. 4

Cholesterol 101……………………………………………………………………………. 5

The Cholesterol- Lowering Drug Trial Fallacy………………………………………... 8

Statistical Contortionism 101………………………………………………………….. 10

Statin Drugs—Are They Safe and Effective?.. ......... .......... ......... ......... ......... ........ 12

Why Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Do Not Prevent Heart Disease……………… 15

Hidden Dangers of Statin Drugs………………………………………………………. 17

Cancer Fighting Hint…………………………………………………………………….. 20

Hidden Origin of Statin Drugs…………………………………………………………. 21

How To Avoid the Dangers of Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs…………………….. 22

Dangerous Cocktails On The Way………………………………………………...…. 23

The Cause of Heart Disease…………………………………………………………… 24

Lifestyle Factors for the Prevention or Reversal of Heart Disease…………….. 26

Nutrients for the Reversal and Prevention of Heart Disease……………………. 27

Exercise…………………………………………………………………………………… 30

Help For The Obese– How To Control Blood Glucose…………………………… 31

How To Quit Sugar Forever and Activate Thermogenesis………………………. 33

Why Not Artificial Flavors……………………………………………………………… 35

Closing…………………………………………………………………………………….. 36

Author Bio………………………………………………………………………………….37

Continuing Education– An Investment In Your Future…………………………… 38

Endnotes…………………………………………………………………………………...40

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 2

© 2006 by Health Myths Exposed, LLC. Published 2006.

ISBN: 0-9772079-1- 9

. You may not reproduce, in whole or in part, without written consent of the author; nor may any

part of this book be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including

photocopying, recording, or by an information storage and retrieval system, without written permission from the

author. See email contact below.

For information contact:

service@healthmyths .net

Publisher: Health Myths Exposed, LLC

Author: Shane Ellison, M.Sc.

Editor: C.S. Howe

Disclaimer

The reader agrees to take responsibility for his or her own life decisions. The author, publisher and editor shall

remain free of any fault, liability, or responsibility for any loss or harm, whether real or perceived, resulting from

following the advice given in this book. This book is not a substitute for consulting with a health, financial, legal or

tax professional.

Dedicated to the millions of healthy people who have wrongly been converted into patients via the myth which

decrees that low cholesterol prevents heart disease. May you hold tight to common sense and never fear cholesterol

again.

Thank You

First and foremost, my thanks go to my family who have stood by me and encouraged my research and writing no

matter what. I would also like to thank The International Network of Cholesterol Skeptics, known as THINCS

(www.thincs. org). Most notably, my gratitude extends to Arthur Patterson, DC, Uffe Ravnskov, MD, PhD, Anthony

Colpo, Eddie Voss, Greg Ciola and Pam Killeen at Crusader Magazine, Chris Gupta and Joel Kaufmann, PhD.

The advancement of human health rests in the dedication and allegiance to truth, which is so prevalent among

these professionals.

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 3

Shane is dedicated to

practicing what he

preaches. For more

information, log on to:

www.health-fx. net

As a medicinal chemist, I discovered startling

evidence surrounding cholesterollowering

drugs. Chemically, these drugs

are known as “statins.” Commercially, they

are known as atorvastatin (Lipitor), fluvastatin

(Lescol), lovastatin (Mevacor), pravastatin

(Pravachol), simvastatin (Zocor), and

rosuvastatin (Crestor). The belief that these

drugs prevent heart disease is undeniably

false – but more importantly, dangerous.

The cholesterol- lowering myth being

spread by pharmaceutical companies

worldwide could rightfully be considered

the deadliest health myth in the history

of mankind. Numerous studies consistently

show that the higher our cholesterol

the longer we live and vice-versa.1 This

reality has been hidden and pushed under

the already-stuffed pharmaceutical rug.

The obscurity of this truth has caused millions

to parrot that LDL-cholesterol is bad

cholesterol. The myth has elicited a statin

drug addiction among millions. The truth be

told, bad cholesterol is as real as the

Easter Bunny. Believing in it will undermine

your health.

It is with great urgency that I share the hidden

truth about cholesterol- lowering drugs

with you as well as how to avoid heart disease

naturally. I hope that you share it

with others. As awareness increases, the

number of deaths from heart disease will

decrease.

This book was written for both the general

public and those who have been influenced

by the pharmaceutical industry. A person

only needs limited intellectual ability, common

sense and an uncompromised relationship

with the drug industry to realize the

truth in the following pages. In other words,

if you are a paid consultant, a drugworshipping

wakopath, drug sales rep, or

own stock in prescription drugs, then it will

be difficult, but not impossible,

to understand this book and its implications

on the health of people worldwide.

To Your Health,

Shane Ellison, M.Sc.

Preface

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 4

“The cholesterollowering

myth being

spread by

pharmaceutical

companies worldwide

could rightfully be

considered the deadliest

health myth in the

history of man.”

Turning Healthy People into Patients

According to the American Heart Association,

over 105 million Americans have total

cholesterol levels of 200 mg/dL or higher.

To the pharmaceutical industry, this

equates to 105 million potential customers.

With dollar signs in their eyes, drug companies

have launched a massive fear campaign

about cholesterol. This campaign,

being led by the pharmaceuticallycom pliant

National Cholesterol Education

Program (NCEP), has convinced the entire

world that LDL-cholesterol is bad and that

total cholesterol levels should remain below

200 mg/dL in order to prevent heart

disease. This is untrue and based on financial

conflicts of interest among the

NCEP. Among the nine members of the

NCEP panel that wrote the guidelines, only

one had zero financial links to cholesterollowering

drug makers.2 All other members

had financial connections to drug companies

like Pfizer, Merck, Bristol-Myers

Squibb, and AstraZeneca. This fact was

not disclosed when the NCEP made their

recommendations public.

While democracy among the group has

defined what forms of cholesterol are “bad”

and “good” and what levels are “safe” and

“unsafe,” scientific fact has exposed this

ugly perversion of science for what it is:

Greed.

The professional alarmists of the NCEP

have successfully created a problem while

providing a false solution: the cholesterollowering

drugs known as “fibrates” and the

newer class of drugs known as “statins.”

Turning healthy people into patients has

proven to be a great business model for

drug companies. This model being that

they create the problem (cholesterol) –

wait for a reaction – offer a solution

(cholesterol- lowering drugs).

Statin drugs are the most widely sold pharmaceutical

drugs in history. Accounting for

6.5% of the total market share, cholesterol-

lowering drugs raked in 12.5 billion

dollars during 2002. Fueled by aggressive

marketing campaigns, statin sales continued

to surge. In 2004, Pfizer's blockbuster

drug Lipitor became the first prescription

drug to make more than $10 billion in annual

sales.3 To date, Forbes Magazine

tells us that statins are earning drug pushers

$26 billion in annual sales.

Historically, profit overshadows truth. The

same is true with the statin drugs. You

rarely hear the truth about the safety and

efficacy of them. Instead, you hear “market

hype” geared toward healthy people who

have abundant and safe cholesterol levels.

Looking beyond the hype (as hard as it is)

we find that high cholesterol can increase

longevity and that statin drugs provide little

to no benefit while risking the health of

users.

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 5

Medical doctors, drug manufacturers and nutritional supplement

companies make billions of dollars browbeating

us into believing that cholesterol is an enemy to our bodies.

This statement is made with such redundancy that it

has handicapped health logic among some of the most

respected health experts in the world.

Most insist that because the new statin drugs (i.e. Lipitor,

Pravachol, Crestor) or nutritional supplements (i.e. red

yeast rice, policosanol) cause total cholesterol levels to

plummet from 225 to 180 mg/dL that they are safe from

heart disease. Never mind their sugar addiction, obesity,

insulin resistance (pre-diabetic state) and excess fat.

Hopefully, cholesterol- lowering drug addicts have health

insurance. They will need it. Cholesterol is a vital substance

to the body. Without it, we can grow sick by losing

our memory, weakening our immune system, compromising

our hormone levels and increasing our chances of

suffering from cancer. In sharp contrast to this, the higher

our cholesterol, the longer we live.

Lower your cholesterol and increase your chances of suffering

from an irregular heart beat. Researchers at the

University of San Diego School of Medicine (UCSD) point

out that high cholesterol in those over 75 years of age is

protective rather than harmful and that low cholesterol is

a risk factor for heart arrhythmia, the leading cause of

death if heart attack occurs.

Increasing total cholesterol levels may increase functional

life span and ward off cancer. The European Heart Journal

published the results of a 3-year study involving

11,500 patients. Researcher Behar and associates found

that in the low cholesterol group (total cholesterol below

160mg/dL), the relative risk of death was 2.27 times

higher relative to those with high cholesterol. The most

common cause of death in the low cholesterol group was

cancer while the risk of cardiac death was the same in

both groups. Confirming this study, previous research

has shown a higher increase in lung cancer when total

cholesterol levels were maintained below 170 mg/dL.

The elderly have much to gain from high cholesterol. The

most widely respected medical journal, the Journal of the

American Medical Association, published a study entitled,

Cholesterol and Mortality. 30 Years of Follow-up from the

Framingham Study. Shocking to most, this in-depth study

showed that after the age of 50, there is no increased

overall death rate associated with high cholesterol! There

was, however, a direct association between low levels (or

dropping levels) of cholesterol and increased death. Specifically,

medical researchers reported that CVD death

rates increased by 14% for every 1mg/dL drop in total

cholesterol levels per year.

Heart patients could benefit greatly from increasing their

cholesterol levels. The Journal of Cardiac Failure published

the findings of Tamara and colleagues in a paper

entitled Low Serum Total Cholesterol is Associated with

Marked Increase in Mortality in Advanced Heart Failure.

In their analysis of 1,134 patients with heart disease, they

found that low cholesterol was associated with worse outcomes

in heart failure patients and impaired survival,

while high cholesterol improved survival rates. Additionally,

their findings showed that elevated cholesterol

among patients was not associated with hypertension,

diabetes, or coronary heart disease.

Total cholesterol levels of 400 mg/dL appear safer than

total cholesterol levels of 188 mg/dL or lower. In 2003,

the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society published

the findings of researchers Brescianini and colleagues.

Studying the total cholesterol levels of 3,295 participants

age 65-84 over a 4-year period, they concluded that

those with low total cholesterol levels (<189 mg/dL) are at

higher risk of dying even when many related factors have

been taken into account. Having total cholesterol levels

from 276 to 417 mg/dL was better suited for longevity

relative to having a total cholesterol level less than 189

mg/dL.

Cholesterol 101

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 6

The cholesterol- lowering myth is proof that "when everyone

is thinking the same thing, nobody is thinking."4 Cholesterol

has been wrongfully convicted as the culprit in

heart disease. It deserves redemption.

Cholesterol is a versatile compound that is vital to the

function of the human body and just like everything else;

cholesterol levels differ greatly among individuals. In humans,

cholesterol serves 5 main functions:

1. Cholesterol is used by the body to manufacture steroids,

or cortisone-like hormones, including the sex hormones.

These hormones include testosterone, estrogen

and cortisone. Combined, these hormones control a myriad

of bodily functions.

2. Cholesterol helps the liver produce bile acids. These

acids are essential for digestion of fats and ridding the

body of waste.

3. Cholesterol acts to interlock “lipid molecules,” which

stabilize cell membranes. Therefore, cholesterol is a vital

building block for all bodily tissues. Lowering such a vital

molecule is absurd. To illustrate, imagine that your house

represents your body and the nails holding it together,

cholesterol. Now start pulling just a few nails out of the

house. What happens? The house turns to a pile of rubble.

The same is true for the human body.

4. Most notably, cholesterol is an essential part of the

myelin sheath.5 The myelin sheath, similar to the coating

on copper wire, ensures that the brain functions properly

by aiding the passage of electrical impulses. Without the

myelin sheath, it is difficult to focus and we can lose

memory.

5. And finally, cholesterol has beneficial effects on the

immune system. Men with high cholesterol have stronger

immune systems than those with low cholesterol, as can

be seen by the fact that they have more lymphocytes,

total T-cells, helper T-cells and CD8+ cells. Further, many

strains of bacteria, which cause us to get sick, are almost

totally inactivated by LDL cholesterol.6

Ignoring the importance of cholesterol, skeptics will hold

strong to the myth that we must lower cholesterol to prevent

heart disease. This is simply because the myth is so

prevalent in modern society (radio, television and published

ads). Skeptics lack the ability to think independently.

For the skeptics, we can look to the cholesterol- lowering

drugs known as “fibrates” and “statins” for more answers.

If cholesterol were the culprit in heart disease, then these

drugs would prevent this pandemic killer. Right? A history

lesson on the earliest cholesterol- lowering drugs, the

“fibrates,” shows that lowering cholesterol does not prevent

heart disease.

Having the ability to successfully lower cholesterol, the

fibrates should have prevented deaths from heart disease

among those with high cholesterol. Documented by the

U.S. Government, this was not the case.

In their report to congress, entitled, Cholesterol Treatment

– A Review of the Clinical Trials Evidence, the U.S. General

Accounting Office (GAO) stated, “With respect to total

fatalities—that is, deaths from CHD [heart disease]

and all other causes—most meta-analyses show no significant

difference and thus no improvement in overall

survival rates in the trials [using fibrates] that included

either persons with known CHD or persons without it.”

Recognizing that drug companies and purveyors of the

cholesterol myth would not be happy with this conclusion,

the GAO finished by stating, “This finding, that cholesterol

treatment has not lowered the number of deaths over- all,

has been worrisome to many researchers and is at the

core of much of the controversy on cholesterol policy.”7

Despite the early evidence refuting cholesterol’s role in

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 7

heart disease, drug pushers have continued the cholesterol

fear campaign. This was done to sell the newer

class of cholesterol- lowering drugs, the “statins.”

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 8

In defense of prescribing and using statins to lower cholesterol,

drug companies and drug-worshipping medical

doctors often cite studies known as the “statin drug trials.”

The wildly marketed book, The South Beach Diet, authored

by Dr. Agatston, supports the use of statins for

lowering cholesterol. The American Heart Association

(AHA), self-proclaimed authority of cardiovascular health,

also promotes the use of cholesterol- lowering drugs

based on these trials. And finally, your family doctor

probably adheres to this cholesterol- lowering protocol.

These medical doctors and the AHA have been misled by

the statin drug trial fallacy, which goes something like

this: statin drug trials prove that lowering cholesterol prevents

heart disease (atherosclerosis) .

A vast number of statin drug trials have been performed.

Most notable are the trials known by their acronyms as

ALLHAT, ASCOT-LLA, AFCAPS, WOSCOP, LIPS,

GREASE, 4s, HPS, LIPID and PROSPER, just to name a

few. These studies were well funded and utilized large

populations (of middle aged men) to analyze the effects

of statin drugs on lowering cholesterol and preventing

heart disease.

It is neither logical nor scientifically sound to use the

statin drug trials in defence of lowering cholesterol to prevent

heart disease. Those who do are short sighted.

Statin drug trials have suffered from age and gender bias

for close to 10 years. Pay close attention, this is a damaging

blow to anyone promoting the use of statin drugs.

All statin drug trials from 1990 to 1999 suffered from age

and gender bias. The statin drug trials were mainly conducted

using middle-aged men, and did not study the effects

among women, children, and the elderly or ethnic

groups.8 Among these studies were 4S, CARE, LIPID,

EXCEL, REGRESS, PREDICT, ACAPS, AFCAPS, WOSCOP,

KAPS. There were 19 studies in total.

To get a better idea of the male bias we can look at the

WOSCOP and 4S trials. Of the 6,595 participants in the

WOSCOPS trial, 100% were male. The lowest percentage

of males used in any of the trials was the 4S trial.

Among the 4444 participants in the trial, 81% were male.

The General Accounting Office (GAO) of the United

States Government has recognized the bias and stated:

“The trials generally have not evaluated the efficacy of

cholesterol- lowering treatment for several important population

groups, such as women, elderly men and women,

and minority men and women. Thus, they provide little or

no evidence of benefits or possible risks for these

groups.”

Stressing this same point in 1995, the Journal of the

American Medical Association (JAMA) noted that many of

the statin drug trials have not included enough women to

allow for sex-specific analysis on the effects of statins in

women. Researchers Walsh and Grady from the University

of California San Francisco highlighted that there is

no evidence from primary prevention trials (statin drug

trials) showing that cholesterol- lowering effects among

women from the use of statin drugs decreases mortality

from heart disease.9 This fact went ignored for almost 10

years.

Mentioning this point again in 2004, the Journal of the

American Medical Association (JAMA) published new

results found by the researchers at the University of California

San Francisco. As if warning the public, they reasserted

the fact that many of the statin drug trials failed to

include enough women in their analyses. To remedy this

and to find out whether or not statins are safe and effective

for women, Walsh and Grady combined the results of

13 studies where the impact of statin drugs on a few

women was reported. They found that in women who did

not have cardiovascular disease, statin drug use failed to

reduce total mortality.10 Interpreting these results for

women worldwide, reporter Roni Rabin for Newsday.com

aptly stated, “We’ve been bamboozled about cholesterol

risks.”

The Cholesterol- Lowering Drug Trial Fallacy

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 9

The elderly have also been bamboozled. Statin drug trials

failed to look at the effects of these drugs among the

elderly. Statisticians and clinicians Holme and colleagues

reviewed the effects of Pravastatin on the elderly by looking

at the statin drug trial known as PROSPER. Adding to

the PROSPER findings, they gathered results from other

trials (meta-analysis) where small groups of elderly were

used, such as the Heart Protection Study (HPS). Conclusively,

they found no data to show that statin drugs reduce

mortality among the elderly. In other words, the elderly

do not need statins drugs like Lipitor.

Because of the gender and age bias among the statin

drug trials, one cannot conceivably use the statin drug

trials to rationalize prescribing them to women, the elderly,

children or ethnic groups. Prescribing statin drugs to

any one of these groups is a giant leap of faith - safety

and effectiveness has not been shown for any of these

populations.

If you are among any one of these populations and taking

a statin drug, you are a guinea pig. This is akin to users

of the previously removed Vioxx. After injuring an estimated

100,000 people, Vioxx was finally withdrawn from

the market.

Scientifically and logically, you can only use the statin

drug trials to make decisions among middle-aged men

regarding the use of statin drugs. Still though, family doctors

and medical associations are recommending statin

drugs across the board without thinking twice. Whether it

is for young men, old men, women, blacks, Mexicans and

even children: medical doctors are handing out prescriptions

for statin drugs.11

Drug companies are laughing all the way to the bank as

they make billions every year by perpetuating the belief

that statin drugs are safe and effective for everyone…

even your dog, Fido.

That statin drugs have not been tested on other populations

is the pharmaceutical companies biggest secret, a

multi-billion dollar one. High-paid servants disguised as

experts protect it. Dr. Antonio M. Gotto, Jr., serves as an

example.

At the 12th International Symposium on Atherosclerosis,

June 2000, Stockholm, Sweden, Dr. Antonio M. Gotto,

Jr., dean and medical provost of Cornell University Medical

College, predicted that 50% of the entire U.S. population

could be taking statin medication.

Dr. Antonio M. Gotto told a press conference that he favored

this class of drugs for all men aged more than 45

and women aged 55 plus who had a total cholesterol

level over 200 mg/dL, an HDL-cholesterol of less than 50

mg/dL and one other risk factor for coronary heart disease.

This serves as a poignant example of how pharmaceutical

drug hype overshadows science. Science shows that

statins have not yet been tested for safety and efficacy

among various populations within our society. Statins are

not the one drug for all people. Drug companies market

otherwise.

The bias of the statin drug trials is not enough to curve

the ravenous appetite for these drugs among medical

doctors. We must continue to debunk their efficacy. To

do this, we can look at the results found among the trials.

Not only were the trials bias for men, but they also

showed statin drugs to be dangerous and ineffective at

increasing longevity – the primary goal of patients who

blindly take these drugs.

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 10

A veil of secrecy obscures the truth behind FDA-approved

drugs, especially the cholesterol- lowering drugs. This veil

was constructed using millions of dollars for marketing

campaigns and consulting fees to medical doctors.

Thanks to successful government lobbying on behalf of

drug companies, the U.S. Government upholds these immoral

practices. While effective, the veil is wafer-thin. It is

easily torn down using basic statistical definitions.

Before you consider the effectiveness and safety of a

cholesterol- lowering drug (or any other prescribed drug),

you must first understand these statistical definitions.

They are total mortality, absolute risk reduction (ARR)

and relative risk reduction (RRR). Understanding these

statistical definitions is the number-one weapon for defending

against dangerous drugs.

Total mortality is the most logical focal point for deciphering

whether or not a drug is worth the risk. Using the total

mortality rate to measure effectiveness ensures that while

a drug might prevent the targeted disease, it does not

accidentally kill you from cancer, heart attack, or some

other deadly illness.

If Mr. Jones knew that drug X might accidentally kill him

from cancer, would he spend his money on it?

When reporting total mortality, drug companies can either

report “absolute” or “relative” terms. For the big picture,

the absolute risk reduction in total mortality (termed absolute

total mortality) must be used rather than relative risk

reduction. Absolute total mortality is the most important

statistical association. It refers to the actual difference in

risk reduction between the treated (the suckers who received

the experimental drug) and the non-treated group.

This difference elucidates whether or not drug X increases

lifespan.

For example, the absolute total mortality rate for drug X is

1%. This was derived from the raw data. It showed the

treated group to have a 3% reduction in total mortality.

The untreated had a 2% reduction in total mortality.

Therefore, the absolute total mortality rate was 1%. This

translates to a 1% chance of increasing lifespan for users

of drug X.

If Mr. Jones knew that drug X might accidentally kill him

from cancer and confer a paltry 1% chance of increasing

his lifespan, would he spend the money on it? No. He will

use that money to pay for a personal trainer. Knowing the

absolute total mortality rate preserved Mr. Jones’ health

and saved him money.

The same cannot be said for Bob Misinformed Smith.

Leaving out the absolute total mortality rate, Bob Misinformed

Smith’s family doctor told him that drug X had a

33% risk reduction in total mortality. He left out that this

was “relative” risk reduction and Bob did not ask. Following

doctor’s orders, Bob scurried to the pharmacist to pay

for his prescription. He then rushed home to watch football..

Subsequent football commercials deceptively regurgitated

the 33% relative risk reduction in total mortality

among users of drug X. John Misinformed Smith smiled

with hope – false hope.

What was deceptive about using relative risk reduction?

Relative risk reduction exaggerates benefits. It is the percentage

(not an actual difference in risk reduction) of the

decrease achieved by the treated group vs. the untreated

group. While the absolute total mortality was 1%, the

same raw data yielded a relative risk reduction in total

mortality of 33%.

Pretend you are a medical doctor. Which number will you

regurgitate to patients? The absolute 1% or the relative

33%?

Relative terms are the least important statistical associations.

Yet they are the most important for drug representatives,

medical doctors and statistical contortionists

within the media because they exaggerate benefits. Rela-

Statistical Contortionism 101

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 11

tive terms are good for a drug company’s bottom line but

bad for our health. Focusing solely on relative risk reduction

is akin to hiding evidence because it always makes a

drug look more effective than it really is.

Now meet drug X: The statin drugs, particularly Pravachol,

Zocor and Lipitor. The unprecedented success of

these drugs is due to a combination of the pharmaceutical

industry's statistical contortionists and their propaganda

claiming that high cholesterol leads to heart disease.

The art of statistical contortionism is not endemic to the

statin drugs. This art extends to all classes of drugs. Most

striking, this includes chemotherapy drugs and vaccinations..

Typically, when a given drug is not effective, drug

companies and medical doctors rely solely on relative risk

reduction to assert their safety and efficacy. This practice

of exaggerating the benefits of drugs leads to an increase

in adverse drug reactions (ADRs). Today, scientists estimate

that ADRs are between the fourth and sixth leading

cause of death in the U.S.12

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 12

High-paid servants are calling cholesterol- lowering drugs

the “new aspirin.” Author Bill Alpert of Barron’s insists that

statins, like fluoride, should be put into the water.

To these professional hucksters who talk fast and think

slow, I’d recommend swimming with a brick tied to their

ankle to cure stupidity. Using water in this fashion has a

100% relative risk reduction for stupidity. I won’t divulge

the absolute total mortality rates among brick swimmers

vs. non-brick swimmers ‘cause apparently they don’t care

– as can be seen by their willingness to ignore them in

regard to the statin drug trials. Perhaps they are not to

blame. Maybe they are misinformed victims of statistical

contortionists.

If there were only one absolute in life it would be that

medical doctors prescribe statin drugs to most anyone

with a heartbeat, hence the stethoscope around their

neck. Statins are far from being the new aspirin and

closer to being the pharmaceutical industry’s next

“problem child.” Explaining this to medical doctors is akin

to telling your teenage daughter what is in her hot dog,

they do not want to listen.

To measure the effectiveness and safety of statin drugs,

we can look at the population studied in the trials: middleaged

white men, or more aptly put, stupid white men

(would you VOLUNTEER for a drug study?).

When absolute risk reduction in total mortality is used as

an indicator of the effectiveness of statin drugs rather

than relative risk, statin drug trials fail to show effectiveness

at preventing early death. Looking at the absolute

values also proves that cholesterol, being lowered considerably

via these drugs, does not have a relationship to the

cause (etiology) of heart disease.

Take Crestor (rosuvastatin) as an example. Crestor

plummeted cholesterol levels, yet failed to show any effectiveness,

as could be seen by a 0% decrease in absolute

total mortality rates among users.

Other statin drug trials show this same trend. Joel Kauffman,

PhD, Professor of Chemistry Emeritus, teaches that

the WOSCOPS trial showed only a 0.9% absolute drop in

absolute total mortality among those taking the statin drug

Pravachol (pravastatin) over 5 years. Pravachol drug

pushers touted a 22% drop in relative risk reduction for

total mortality.

Many might argue that while Pravachol does not prevent

early death, it does prevent heart attack and stroke. This

is false. With respect to heart attack and stroke, the

PROSPER trial showed that Pravachol provided no reduction

in heart attack or stroke among those who had no

previous signs of cardiovascular disease (termed primary

prevention)13 and an absolute risk reduction of 4.3%

among those who did (termed secondary prevention).14

The statin drug trial known as LIPID showed these same

results. The Long Term Intervention with Pravachol in

Ischemic Heart Disease (LIPID) showed a contemptible

absolute risk reduction in total mortality of 3.1%. Pravachol

drug pushers touted a 21% drop in relative risk reduction

for total mortality.

Even the most favorable statin drug trial, having minimal

conflicts of interest and ethically sound reporting, the

Heart Protection Study (HPS), yielded users of Zocor

(simvastatin) with only a 1.8% drop in absolute risk reduction

for total mortality. Another trial involving Zocor, the

4S trial, showed a minimal 3.3%drop in absolute risk reduction

for total mortality among users. Zocor drug pushers

touted a 29% relative risk reduction for total mortality.

The Anglo-Scandinavian Cardiac Outcomes Trial — Lipid

Lowering Arm (ASCOT-LLA) trial, designed to identify the

benefits of Lipitor (atorvastatin) , showed 0% reduction in

absolute total mortality rates among users. Looking at

absolute risk reduction of heart attack and stroke, Lipitor

Statin Drugs – Are they Safe and Effective?

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 13

yielded a miniscule reduction of 1.2% over 3.3 years.15

Lipitor drug pushers touted…whatever they wanted.

Lipitor ads were most honest. The fine (really fine) print

on the back of ads declared that Lipitor “has not been

shown to prevent heart disease.” Believe it.16

Figure 1. Fine print included in ads for Lipitor by Pfizer courtesy

of Weston A. Price Foundation. See the last sentence.

The most recent statin drug trial showing the ineffectiveness

of Lipitor was the TNT (Treating to New Targets)

study, sponsored by Pfizer. It was found that those receiving

low-dose Lipitor reduced their mean LDLcholesterol

levels to 101 mg/dL, while those taking the

high dose brought their LDL readings down to 77 mg/dL.

After a median follow-up of 4.9 years, absolute total mortality

was 0%.17 Neither the high-dose nor low-dose group

prevented early death! Lipitor drug pushers ignored this

and touted a 20% relative risk reduction in coronary

events while overlooking a 40% relative risk increase

in side effects among users of high dose Lipitor (80mg/day).1

Unable to decipher the deceptive statistics, a compliant

media touted “lower is better” with respect to LDLcholesterol.

The official response to the lack of overall

mortality reduction is a shining example of lazy thinking

among pharmaceutically funded researchers:

"We need to make the assumption that mortality has been

proven, that LDL lowering does in fact lower total mortality

rates.”

- Dr. John LaRosa, head researcher of the TNT study

Combining statin drug trial results failed to show any

benefit to using statin drugs. Researchers from Therapeutic

Initiatives performed a meta-analysis19 of 5 major

statin drug trials, these being PROSPER, ALLHAT-LLT,

ASCOT-LLA, AFCAPS and WOSCOPS. In the pooled

data of these trials, statin drugs provided a total absolute

risk reduction in total mortality of 0.3% among those who

showed no signs of having cardiovascular disease

(primary prevention).20 With respect to preventing heart

attack and stroke, the five combined studies showed that

statins prevented these events by a mere 1.4%.

Utilizing LIPS, PROSPER, GREASE, and HPS, a metaanalysis

shows that statin use prevented absolute risk

reduction in total mortality by 1.8% among those who

showed signs of having cardiovascular disease

(secondary prevention).

The only thing statin drug trials have proven is that statin

drugs lower cholesterol by inhibiting an enzyme known as

HMG-CoA-Reductase. Regardless of their ability to lower

cholesterol, they failed to show that this effect has any

benefit to preventing early death from heart disease,

heart attack or stroke.

Some professionals will argue that a 3-4% drop in absolute

risk reduction of total mortality, as seen among some

trials, is significant. Considering the dangerous side effects

of the drugs and those related to having low cholesterol

this illogical.

From a scientific standpoint, it is important to ask why

there was a 3-4% drop. Upon further investigation, we

find that statins provide a small benefit due to antiHidden

Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 14

inflammatory action (heart disease is an inflammatory

disease).21 Fortunately, this same benefit can be obtained

using natural sources that do not have negative

side effects or come with expensive prices. Antiinflammation

nutrients are fish oils (especially the EPA

fatty acid), alpha-lipoic acid, green tea, ginger, and/or

95% grape seed extract (providing proanthocyanidins) to

name a few.

Consuming anti-inflammatory nutrients from food rather

than capsules would be acceptable. Supplement use is

typically secondary to proper eating. Sometimes lifestyle

does not allow for this.

Supplementing with encapsulated nutrients can sometimes

enhance bioavailability (the ability of a nutrient to

pass from oral ingestion into the blood) relative to the

food source. This has been shown with “flavanols,” which

are found in green tea as well as grape seed extract.22

The Journal of Clinical Nutrition recently stated, “Flavanol

absorption was enhanced when tea polyphenols were

administered as a green tea supplement in capsule form

and led to a small but significant increase in plasma antioxidant

activity compared with when tea polyphenols

were consumed as black tea or green tea.”

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 15

Among healthy people, statin drugs do not prevent early

death from heart disease, despite their cholesterollowering

effects. This is because there is no correlation or

relationship between low cholesterol and the progression

of atherosclerosis – the number one cause of heart disease.

Repeat that sentence. This became abundantly

clear with the statin drug trials.

A drug trial known as REVERSAL showed that while

Pravachol lowered LDL cholesterol by 25% it failed to

stop the progression of heart disease, as could be seen

by the continued growth of atheroma (thickening and fatty

degeneration of the inner coat of the arteries).23 Lead investigator,

Dr. Steven Nissen, was dumbfounded and

commented that:

“Surprisingly, despite attaining a low LDL level on pravastatin

[Pravachol], these patients showed highly significant

progression for percent atheroma volume and percent

obstructive volume…”

He continued by saying:

“When I started this study, I believed that any reduction in

progression would just be due to lower LDL levels, but

now I’m not so sure.”

We do not need these drug trials to prove this. Searching

for a correlation between cholesterol levels and atherosclerosis

is as simple as looking at the arteries of dead

people. This has been done repeatedly since the early

1900’s.

In 1961, researchers Mathur and colleagues studied the

levels of cholesterol and the degree of atherosclerosis

seen at autopsy within the arteries of 20 deceased patients

as well as 200 more cases selected from medical

libraries. All cholesterol levels were taken within 16 hours

of death. No correlation could be observed between these

patients’ blood cholesterol levels and the amount or severity

of “atherosclerotic plaque” within the arteries. Cholesterol

levels, whether high or low, had no impact on the

growth of atherosclerotic plaque - the major cause of

heart disease.24

In 1962, the American Heart Journal published the research

of Dr. Marek and colleagues who also searched

for a correlation between cholesterol levels and atherosclerosis.

Among 106 cases studied, the level of cholesterol

did not affect atherosclerotic changes in plaque.25

Dr. Marek concluded by stating that his results do not differ

from the results obtained under the exact same examinations

in health and disease with atherosclerosis, conducted

by the same methods, in the same laboratory, and

in the same populations.

The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition shows that at

autopsy, postmortem patients who died suddenly showed

no correlation between total cholesterol levels and atherosclerosis.

Researchers Jose Mendez, PhD, and coworkers

point out that their findings agree with previous

studies. Notably, they cited researchers Lande and

Sperry who, as early as 1936, also failed to find a correlation

between cholesterol levels and atherosclerotic

plaque.26

These studies shake the foundation of the current medical

model for treating or preventing heart disease. Apparently,

they are too logical. Highly educated folk totally

miss them.

Continuing the search for a correlation between cholesterol

levels and atherosclerotic plaque, we can use stateof-

the-art technology. Rather than looking at arteries before

and after death we can simply look at them while the

patient is alive. Utilizing a special X-ray imaging machine

known as electron beam computed tomography (EBCT),

scientists are able to look at both cholesterol levels and

atherosclerosis buildup in the arteries without waiting for

patients to die. Electron beam tomography represents the

next level in cardiac diagnosis by allowing medical doc-

Why Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Do Not Prevent Heart Disease

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 16

tors to visualize the coronary arteries without having to go

through an invasive procedure.

Utilizing EBCT technology, researchers Hecht and Harman

of Beth Israel Medical Center in New York set out to

determine whether or not increased cholesterol levels,

specifically LDL cholesterol, led to plaque build up. Looking

at 182 individuals who may develop symptoms of

heart disease over 1.2 years of treatments with cholesterol-

lowering drugs alone or in combination with niacin, it

was discovered that despite lower cholesterol levels,

there were ZERO differences in the development of

atherosclerotic plaque. These researchers concluded,

“with respect to LDL cholesterol- lowering, “lower is better”

is not supported by changes in calcified plaque progression..”

Noted by CNN, medical doctors and drug companies who

circulate the cholesterol myth are threatened by EBCT.28

Rather than fear cholesterol, we need to fear the media

campaign against it. This campaign is very prevalent and

here to stay. To substantiate, we look to Harvard Health

Publications (HPS). On March 21, 2005 HPS unleashed a

“Special Health Report” saying that it “provides an indepth

look at the role diet plays on cholesterol levels in

the body, helps you evaluate your risk of heart disease,

and offers advice on ways to maintain healthy cholesterol

levels, including making changes in diet, exercising, and

taking cholesterol- lowering medication as appropriate.”

Wow, this should be valuable.

Adhering to the cholesterol myth is akin to crossing a twoway

street while looking only in one direction: you are

bound to get run over. Getting hit by a car is rarely an

accident, neither is heart disease.

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 17

Statins are a textbook case of the “cure” being more

deadly than the disease. The dangers of statins drugs are

rarely discussed, simply because drug companies are not

reporting them to medical doctors.

The British Medical Journal (BMJ) has reported that of

164 statin drug trials reviewed, only 48 reported the number

of participants with one or more negative side effects

caused by the drug.29 This scenario is reminiscent of FDA

approved drugs Baycol, Vioxx, and most every other drug

on the market today.

According to a report in 1990 by the U.S. General Accounting

Office, 51% of prescription drugs have serious

adverse effects that are undetected before approval.30

More recently, The New York Times reported the testimony

of FDA insider David Graham. Speaking before the

Senate Finance Committee, the 20 year FDA veteran denounced

the FDA by saying ,“we are faced with what may

be the single greatest drug safety catastrophe in the history

of this country or the history of the world.”31 It is no

wonder USA Today reported that side effects from pharmaceutical

drugs reached and all-time high in 2004.32

Unknown to the public and most doctors, cholesterollowering

drugs can be life threatening.33 In a letter submitted

to the Archives of Internal Medicine, Uffe Ravnskov,

MD, PhD, and colleagues, show that in two (EXCEL and

AFCAPS/TexCAPS) of the three clinical trials that included

healthy people, the chance of survival was better

without the use of cholesterol- lowering drugs.34 The letter

was rejected for publication.

Of great concern are statins’ ability to decrease CoQ10 –

leading to congestive heart failure. The heart is made of

relatively strong muscle and requires vast amounts of

energy to function properly. CoQ10 is a vital substance

that ensures that this energy production within the heart

takes place. To elaborate, the force with which the heart

contracts is approximately the force you would need to

squeeze a tennis ball. Since the left ventricle must pump

blood to the rest of the body, its walls are thick, while the

walls of the atria are relatively thin. The volume of blood

in the human body is nearly 5 liters. The heart pumps

about 280 liters in one hour. This equates to 7,200 liters

in 24 hours, or 2,688,000 liters per year! Recognizing this

demand magnifies the importance of ensuring that the

heart has abundant energy. To down regulate the energy

of the heart via CoQ10 depletion with statins could be

considered suicide, in slow motion.

Low CoQ10 leads to congestive heart failure due to

weakening of the heart muscle, this is termed cardiomyopathy.

So while the statin user might procure a 3-4%

absolute risk reduction in heart attack or stroke they are

perhaps trading it for cardiomyopathy.

It is hypothesized that a person can avoid this deleterious

side effect by supplementing with CoQ10. This hypothesis

has not been shown to be an effective means for

avoiding statin-induced cardiomyopathy. Betting on it

could prove dangerous to your heart. Save gambling for

Vegas – not your body.

Statin drugs also attack focus and memory. Because cholesterol

works to ensure the integrity of the myelin sheath

(responsible for carrying electrical messages throughout

the brain for memory and focus), a logical hypothesis is

that lowering it can have a negative impact on memory

and focus. Observing the effects of statin drugs, which

significantly lower cholesterol, we find that the above hypothesis

may hold true.

Dr. Graveline, MD, a NASA astronaut, flight surgeon,

family doctor and author of Lipitor – Thief of Memory,

claims he lost his memory after six weeks of using Lipitor.

From his testimony we learn that he could not recognize

his house or his wife after using the statin drug Lipitor. His

memory loss lasted for six hours at a time. After quitting

the drug, his lapses in memory ceased.

Dr. Graveline is not alone in his experience. Loss of

memory from using statin drugs has become so widespread

it has caught the attention of CBS News, who re-

Hidden Dangers of Statin Drugs

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 18

ported the findings of researcher Dr. Beatrice Golomb,

assistant professor of medicine at the University of California

in San Diego. She states that: “We have people

who have lost thinking ability so rapidly [from using statins]

that within the course of a couple of months they

went from being head of major divisions of companies to

not being able to balance a checkbook and being fired

from their company."35

It appears that cholesterol- lowering drugs in general also

increase one’s risk of developing cancer. In their study

published in the Journal of the American Medical Association

(JAMA), Thomas B. Newman, MD, MPH, and coworkers

show that all cholesterol- lowering drugs, both the

early drugs known as fibrates (clofibrate, gemfibrozil) and

the newer drugs known as statins (Lipitor, Pravachol, Zocor),

cause cancer in rodents at the equivalent doses

used by man.36

Interestingly, these facts are not reflected in the highly

coveted Physicians Desk Reference (PDR). For instance,

the PDR shows that cancer is a side effect for

fibric acid derivates and statins only when as much as 10

times the recommended human dose is used.

Dr. Gloria Troendle, deputy director for the Division of

Metabolism and Endocrine Drug Products for the FDA,

noted that the cholesterol- lowering drug gemfibrozil belonged

to a class of drugs that has repeatedly been

shown to increase death rates among users. Moreover,

Dr. Troendle stated that she does not believe the FDA

has ever approved a drug for long-term use that was as

cancer causing at human doses as gemfibrozil.

Others shared these same concerns about gemfibrozil.

Elizabeth Barbehenn, PhD, concluded to the FDA,

“fibrates must be considered as potential human carcinogens

and their carcinogenic potential should be part of

the risk benefit equation for evaluating gemfibrozil.”

Ignoring these facts, the pharmaceutically- campaigned

FDA approved these drugs, despite having a majority

vote among their advisory committee! Specifically, when

asked to vote whether or not the cholesterol- lowering

drug gemfibrozil should be approved for prevention of

heart disease, only 3 out of 9 voted in favor of approval.

Unfortunately, these votes are only “advisory” and the

FDA decided to approve gemfibrozil for human consumption

against the better judgment of the committee.

Extrapolation of cancer evidence from rodent to human is

very uncertain. This is the argument of those in favor of

using cholesterol- lowering drugs. This argument would

only hold true if human studies also showed an increase

in cancer rates. And in fact, that is what scientists are

seeing.

Reported in the Lancet, Sheperd and colleagues for

PROSPER noted that “new cancer diagnoses were more

frequent on pravastatin [Pravachol] than on placebo

[those not taking the drug].”37 Similar findings were made

in the CARE (Cholesterol And Recurrent Events) trial.

Evidence from the trial showed a significant increase (a

1500% relative risk increase) in breast cancer among

women taking Pravachol (a cholesterol- lowering drug

made by Bristol-Myer Squib).38

One mechanism by which cholesterol- lowering drugs may

cause cancer has been identified. Published in Nature

Medicine, Dr. Michael Simons of Beth Israel Deaconess

Medical Center in Boston shows that statin drugs mimic a

substance known as vascular endothelial growth factors

(VEGF). The biochemical VEGF promotes the growth of

new blood vessels, a process known as angiogenesis.

While angiogenesis may help the growth of arteries, the

benefit is quickly negated by the potential for growth of

cancer.

The British Journal of Cancer reports that VEGF plays an

important role in the spread of colorectal cancer. For

those who already have tumors, VEGF and compounds

that mimic VEGF significantly diminish that person’s survival

time.39 40

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 19

The fact that cholesterol- lowering drugs can potentially

cause cancer at doses commonly used by humans will

never be accepted as mainstream knowledge. Drug company-

funded studies for cholesterol- lowering drugs are

conveniently short in nature, typically 5 years or less.

It takes decades for cancer to develop. Even heavy

smoking will not cause lung cancer within 5 years41, yet it

is a well-known fact that smoking leads to lung cancer.

As long as statin drug trials last only 5 years, this side

effect will continue to fly below the radar.

Researchers from the University of Denmark report that

about 15% of cholesterol- lowering drug users over the

age of 50 will suffer from nerve damage as a direct result

of using statin drugs.42

USA Today reported, “Statins have killed and injured

more people than the government has acknowledged.”43

The list of negative side effects from cholesterol- lowering

drugs continues with rhabdomyolysis and erectile dysfunction

being a possible outcome of using cholesterollowering

drugs.

Fortunately, 50% of those who take cholesterol- lowering

drugs quit within the first year due to negative side effects.

Considering that medical doctors utilize the statin

drug trials as their primary source of information, it is

unlikely that the 50% of patients who stay on cholesterollowering

drugs will ever become aware of the serious adverse

events associated with cholesterol- lowering drugs,

even when they fall victim to them.

Ignoring the dangers, Forbes Magazine (an investment

magazine – no surprise) asserts that, “Patients at the

highest risk should receive even more aggressive [statin]

treatment--meaning higher, more expensive doses of

these drugs.”44

Such a statement reminds me of the 1970’s when servants

disguised as experts would promote the use of

cigarettes to fight cancer:

"One could modify an old slogan: A pack a day keeps

lung cancer away." - Dr. Ian Macdonald, chairman of

California Medicine from U.S. News & World Report

The above statement is as absurd as those who maintain

that, “to prevent heart disease, we need to lower our cholesterol.”

Utilizing relative risk reductions, drug manufacturers and

statistical contortionists have hoodwinked medical doctors

and patients. This is abundantly clear when we look at

the negative side effects associated with the use of cholesterol-

lowering drugs. In no way do the benefits outweigh

the risk, and if so, by whose scale? The drug companies’

scale?

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 20

Green tea has been studied extensively as a cancer-fighting agent. One mechanism by which green tea fights cancer

is by blocking the production of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) in our bodies.45 Doing so halts the

growth of tumors – a welcomed benefit to cancer victims.

Green tea’s cancer fighting ability has been well established in both animal models and human trials.46 The cogency

of these studies ignited the Division of Cancer Prevention at the National Cancer Institute (NCI) to invite applications

for grants to foster the identification of molecular targets from green tea. Rather than promote the unpatentable herb,

these pharmaceutically compliant research houses are working toward developing a “copycat” molecule.

“We may be able to develop new anti-cancer drugs based on the structure of the EGCG molecule.”

- Professor Roger Thornely, John Innes Center in Norwich

A copycat molecule would afford patent rights to drug companies who refuse to sell proven natural products at inexpensive

costs. They strive for monopolization - causing patients to trade wealth for health.

The success of a single green tea extract or single “copycat” molecule is questionable. Studies show that the whole

herb rather than an isolated extract is far more effective at fighting cancer.47 This highlights the importance of using

a full spectrum green tea product.

Cancer Fighting Hint

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 21

No one would care to look twice – or even once – at the

origin of statin drugs. Except, perhaps, if you needed one

more reason not to use them or were an FDA-approved

drug addict looking for an inexpensive alternative.

The origin of statin drugs is not a testament to the ingenuity

and innovation of drug companies. Despite enjoying an

unprecedented surge of momentum in popularity, statins

are nothing more than an isolated poison derived from the

fungus known as red yeast rice (Monascus purpurus)..48

In a natural response to the threat of a predator, red yeast

produces the drug known as lovastatin (as well as other

chemicals). Utilizing fundamental laboratory research,

the discovery and isolation of lovastatin from red yeast

rice was paid for by the U.S. government in the 1970s.49

This secured a monopoly of knowledge, allowing for the

censorship of the truth behind the wildly popular cholesterol-

lowering drugs.

Commercially, lovastatin is known as Mevacor. It was the

first statin drug, released in 1987 by the U.S. governmentinfluence d

company named Merck. Using a technique

known as combinatorial chemistry, other drug companies

have since unleashed their own versions. These versions

include Zocor, Lipitor, Pravachol and Crestor.

As a toxic agent, the consumption of lovastatin via red

yeast rice by its predators leads to sickness and in some

cases, death. This is true for humans as well. Lovastatin’s

(and all other statin drugs) toxicity is attributed to

its ability to block cholesterol and CoQ10 production.

Low levels of cholesterol and CoQ10 limits lifespan in

humans. In 2005, the Journal of the American Geriatrics

Society showed that elderly people with low levels of total

cholesterol were approximately twice as likely to die as

those with high cholesterol.50 CoQ10 is a coenzyme necessary

for the production of ATP (adenosine triphosphate) .

ATP is the source of cellular energy within the

human heart. As CoQ10 is diminished, the heart weakens.

Over time, this can result in congestive heart failure

(CHF).

Humans appear to be so advanced, and yet they are the

only species unable to recognize this simple defense

mechanism of red yeast rice. Millions are blindly consuming

statins as an elixir for longevity. Consumption of this

poison fungus has grown worldwide.

The statin craze serves as a terrific example of how a

little bit of knowledge can be dangerous. Nowhere in the

history of man has an acknowledged poison been touted

as a daily vitamin for every man, woman and child. The

scientific community should be proud. Statins are the

best selling drug of all time.

Hidden Origin of Statin Drugs

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 22

To ensure that you do not fall victim to the hype and greed, here are three questions to

ask your doctor before filling the prescription:

• What is the ABSOLUTE reduction in total mortality rates among users of

the drug?

• What is the ABSOLUTE reduction in heart attack and stroke among users

of the drug?

• What are the negative side effects of using the drug?

If these questions are answered without scientific backing then logic will dictate not to

fill the prescription.

What if the 100,000 plus victims of the COX-2 inhibitor Vioxx were given this information

prior to their doctor’s orders?

How to Avoid the Dangers of Cholesterol Lowering Drugs

For more books

by Shane, visit:

www.healthmyths. net

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 23

As the incidence of heart disease continues to grow, so

will the availability of prescription drugs that are purported

to prevent or heal. Most recently, the “polypill” serves as a

perfectly disgusting example. As the love affair with profits

from statin drugs continues, so-called experts are now

recommending that they be combined with other drugs,

hence the term “drug cocktail.”

Hailed as a “strategy to reduce cardiovascular disease by

more than 80%,” authors and patent holders of the lunatic

concoction assert that everyone over the age of 55

should use this pill.51 Yes, everyone on the entire planet.

Can you believe that daring assertion by so-called scientists?

This is dictatorship medicine, not evidence-based

medicine. The guilty parties? Wald and Law.

Wald and Law propose a cocktail of a statin drug, three

blood pressure lowering drugs, an angiotensin- converting

enzyme inhibitor, folic acid and aspirin to be used to battle

heart disease. That these “scientists” would recommend

such heavy use of drugs is laughable and sad all at

the same time.

Their assertion is based on an analysis done by computer,

which looked at all previous studies of the individual

components of the drug stack. In other words, they

failed to do any medical examination whatsoever. They

never studied the interactions that these drugs might

have with each other once consumed as the ‘polypill’.

They never studied the long-term effects of the ‘polypill’.

And they never considered whether or not it is safe for

men, women, and the elderly or ethnic groups! Not to

mention that the main ingredient, a statin drug, is among

the most dangerous drugs ever promoted for human consumption.

Yet, these patent holders can get away with

making false claims for an imaginary drug and recommend

its use for EVERYONE over the age of 55, all

based on computer evaluation. This is incredulous. Trailblazers

of the scientific method are rolling over in their

graves.

The only thing that could disgrace the scientific community

more would be the approval of leading journal editors.

And this is exactly what happened. The editor of the British

Medical Journal (BMJ) appears to have sold his soul

to pharmaceutical interests. Upon release of the biased

paper, his suggestion was that we "keep this issue of the

BMJ. It may well become a collector's item. It's perhaps

more than 50 years since we published something as important

as the cluster of papers from Nick Wald, Malcolm

Law, and others." He is right on one point. This paper

published by the BMJ is a collector’s edition. Never in the

history of the BMJ have they ever published such absurdity.

Never in the history of the BMJ have they recommended

a pill to an entire population without anyone ever

studying its real-life effects or even swallowing the

damned thing! Never!

Dangerous Cocktails on the Way

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 24

To know the cure one must understand the cause.

Rather than blindly succumb to rent-a-quote doctors who

perpetuate that everyone’s cholesterol levels should be

below 200 mg/dL, it is vital that you obtain a basic understanding

of cholesterol and the progression or cause of

heart disease.

Eventually, you or a loved one will be forced to make vital

decisions surrounding some aspect of heart disease. This

may include making decisions surrounding the use of

cholesterol- lowering drugs, natural medicine, exercise

techniques and/or surgery. Considering that 800 individuals

die every day from heart disease, being informed in

these matters will be an asset to your health and perhaps

even save your life.

While complex, it is not hard to learn the basics of how

heart disease, or rather atherosclerosis, develops.

Atherosclerosis is an inflammatory response initiated by

damage to the innermost layer (known as the endothelium)

of the arteries, which faces the bloodstream. The

inflammatory response can happen anywhere, but 90% of

the time it happens in the arteries of the heart (coronary

arteries), probably due to the mechanical stress in this

region.52

That atherosclerosis mostly occurs within the coronary

arteries is further evidence that cholesterol is not the culprit

in heart disease or plaque formation. Cholesterol is

found throughout the entire body, yet 90% of the time

plaque formation occurs in the coronary arteries. If cholesterol

were the culprit, plaque formation would occur

most everywhere else at the same rate.

Damage (scarring) to the inner layer of the coronary artery

can be attributed to any number of biological disturbances

or nutritional deficiencies. Working to prevent

these is working to prevent atherosclerosis. Here are a

select few:

• Free radical damage leading to oxidized Low Density

Lipoproteins (LDL)

• Infection

• Smoking

• High blood pressure

• High blood sugar

• Increased levels of insulin

• Increased levels of homocysteine

• Increased levels of cortisol (i.e. stress)

• Lack of vitamin C

Once damage occurs to the inner layer of the coronary

artery, the body’s natural repair mechanism takes over.

This mechanism begins with circulating levels of lowdensity

lipoproteins (LDLs) into the damaged area, particularly

between the smooth muscle layer and endothelium

of the artery. Let me stress that this occurs whether

a person has high or low LDL-cholesterol. This explains

why researchers have FAILED to find a correlation between

levels of cholesterol and the growth of atherosclerosis.

Once LDLs move into the damaged area of the endothelium,

there is an alteration in endothelium function. This

alteration begins the inflammation cascade. To signal for

help from the immune system, the endothelium begins to

produce reactive oxygen species (ROS). This attracts the

immune cells to the damaged site. This, in turn, produces

growth factors, which cause muscle cells to multiply and

invade the damaged area of the blood vessel. Eventually,

the conundrum of LDL, immune cells, muscle cells and

debris from the initial damage form “plaque.”

If damage to the endothelium persists, atherosclerotic

plaque accumulates on the arterial walls. The end result

is termed “endothelial dysfunction” (due to lack of nitric

oxide and prostacyclin) . Endothelial dysfunction decreases

blood flow from the heart, which causes lack of

oxygen and nutrients throughout the body. Endothelial

The Cause of Heart Disease

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 25

dysfunction can lead to major problems, involving not only

your heart, but also your brain, lungs, kidneys, penile reaction

and eventually every body system. Therefore,

working to prevent or repair endothelial dysfunction demands

attention among those who are at risk for suffering

from heart disease. The end result of endothelial dysfunction

is early death.

Over time, build up of atherosclerotic plaque initiates

heart attack and stroke, sometimes without warning. As

the artery narrows (from endothelial dysfunction) , tiny

blood clots, which are normally harmless, become a

death threat. These tiny blood clots, usually capable of

passing through a healthy artery, become caught in the

plaque and further block the blood flow. If an artery is

blocked in the heart, a heart attack is the result. And if a

blockage occurs in the brain, a stroke is the result.

To highlight some of the main points of heart disease progression,

the body uses numerous substances to form

plaque on the arterial walls. The plaque consists of LDLcholesterol,

immune cells and muscle cells, among other

things. This plaque acts as nature’s “Band Aid” to heal the

inner layer of the arteries.

Recognizing that LDL is one of many substances found in

plaque and that it carries cholesterol, pharmaceutical

companies and medical doctors coined the phrase “bad

cholesterol” when referring to LDL. In a weak attempt to

support this, they state that LDL-cholesterol is the culprit

of deadly plaque buildup. Meanwhile, they ignore the

importance of inhibiting inflammation (preventing scarring

of the mechanically stressed arterial wall) and reversing

endothelial dysfunction. Bad cholesterol is as real as the

Easter Bunny.

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 26

The first step toward preventing heart disease is engaging in healthy lifestyle habits, not popping pills. This includes

both prescription drugs and nutritional supplements. Neither will prevent heart disease among those who have poor

lifestyle habits. If you are serious about complete risk reduction from heart disease the following lifestyle habits must

be employed:

• Abstain from sugar (sucrose, high fructose corn syrup, fructose and artificial flavors)53 and cigarettes

• Exercise moderately

• Minimize alcohol intake from all sources including wine

• Eat more green/leafy vegetables on a daily basis

• Drink more purified water (not distilled)

• Limit milk consumption to raw milk – moderate amounts

• Consume walnuts, coconut oil and omega-3 fatty acids from fresh water salmon and/or canola oil regularly

• Minimize refined grains

• LOSE FAT (See “Help for the Obese” below)

Adhering to the aforementioned lifestyle habits will increase your lifespan due to the positive impacts they have on

your body. All of them strive to prevent heart disease in the following ways:

• Restore endothelial function (for better circulation)

• Increase lean body mass

• Lower platelet aggregation (preventing clots)

• Moderate blood pressure

• Prevent plaque buildup

• Prevent oxidative stress

• Provide the heart with optimal energy

• Lower homocysteine levels

• Prevent insulin resistance

Lifestyle Factors for the Prevention or Reversal of Heart Disease

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 27

Adding to healthy lifestyle habits, nutritional supplements

that prevent heart disease can be considered. Natural

product science has excelled faster than conventional

medicine. Few medical doctors are taking note of these

life-saving nutrients. Most important are naturally occurring

anti-inflammatory agents as well as those that work

to prevent excess scarring and increase nitric oxide production.

Combining such nutrients with healthy lifestyle

habits would prove most beneficial to longevity and well

being. They are as follows:

L-arginine with grape seed extract (95% proanthocyanidins)

- These nutrients work synergistically to repair

endothelial dysfunction by increasing nitric oxide production

within the arteries (more accurately the endothelium

of the arteries). This prevents collapsing of the arteries

while increasing the delivery of oxygen and nutrients

throughout the body. Proanthocyanidins prevent blood

clotting as well and serve as a healthy alternative to aspirin.

More often than not, users of this nutrition cocktail

also benefit from lowered or controlled blood pressure –

allowing them to dispose of prescription blood pressure

medications.

Magnesium – Supplementing with magnesium may ensure

the integrity of the arterial wall by controlling blood

pressure. Magnesium, as reported by the National Institute

of Health, maintains normal muscle and nerve function,

keeps heart rhythm steady, supports a healthy immune

system, and keeps bones strong. It also helps

regulate blood sugar levels and is known to be involved in

energy metabolism and protein synthesis. Magnesium is

a welcome addition to the above nutrient cocktail. The

most advantageous forms of magnesium are mineral water

and magnesium-L- aspartate (500 - 1000 mg daily are

recommended) .

Vitamin C – This essential vitamin also ensures the integrity

of the arterial wall by helping rebuild collagen. Vitamin

C is a superb anti-inflammatory as seen by its ability

to lower CRP (C-reactive protein) in the body. CRP is a

biomarker of inflammation that has garnered increasing

attention among scientists and statin researchers. Soon,

statin worshippers will tout that statins lower CRP. Fortunately,

readers of this book won’t have to resort to dangerous

statins. Vitamin C is the logical alternative. In total,

vitamin C prevents plaque build-up and endothelium dysfunction.

Daily use of vitamin C can reduce the risk of

heart disease by 25% compared to those who do not supplement

with this essential vitamin.54 It is most important

to consume 2-10 grams daily.

A combo of vitamin B12, B6 and folic acid – This

combo prevents high amounts of homocysteine – a

known risk factor for heart disease.

Omega-3 fatty acids - Recent studies show that individuals

who receive omega-3 supplements exhibit a significant

reduction in overall cardiovascular deaths. For the

technical mind, this prevention of early death is primarily

due to the ability of these fatty acids to reduce heart arrhythmias

(irregular heart beat) and blood platelet reactivity

(thereby preventing clots). Additionally, the omega-3

fatty acids EPA and DHA improve endothelial relaxation

due to an increase in NO vasodilatation and have an inhibitory

effect on inflammation and endothelial dysfunction.

Alpha-lipoic Acid (ALA) – ALA stops inflammation in its

tracks – prevents plaque build-up. ALA is essential for

diabetics due to its ability to reduce insulin sensitivity, oxidative

stress, and diabetic peripheral neuropathy.

Acetyl-L-Carnitine aka ALCAR (not L-Carnitine) – ALCAR

prevents weakening of the heart, known as cardiomyopathy

(important for heart failure patients). The importance

of ALCAR has become so prominent that it is

actually approved by the Food and Drug Administration

(FDA)!

These nutrients provide significantly greater protection

from heart disease than any cholesterol- lowering drug.

Nutrients for the Reversal or Prevention of Heart Disease

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 28

Relative to statin drugs, the use of these nutrients would

not be accompanied with negative side effects and inflated

costs. Thanks to “drug company influence on your

health” these facts have been obscured from the public.

The Drug Company Influence on your Health

In the beginning, there were nutrients for procuring

health. Today, there are drugs, drugs and more drugs.

This is the result of the drug company business model. It

utilizes an arsenal of techniques to influence the government

in order to minimize competition from nutritional

supplements – especially those for heart disease.

The cold hard fact of this business model has become

clear: health in America has been fractured. The health of

U.S. children is worse in virtually all categories relative to

children in other industrialized countries. At least 80% of

seniors have at least one chronic disease and 50% have

at least two according to the Centers for Disease Control

(CDC).56 Understanding these techniques serves as a

how-to guide for avoiding government-mandated drug

addiction and remaining healthy.

First, education on the proper use of nutritional substances

to achieve good health was removed from the

medical school curriculum over 85 years ago. There is not

a medical doctor practicing today who has been trained in

medical school on the prophylactic use of nutritional supplements.

This explains the reluctance of medical doctors

to teach patients about natural alternatives, they simply

don't know about them. Through self-education, a select

few medical doctors have become excellent advisors on

the proper use of nutraceuticals.

Second, the FDA has stonewalled ALL nutritional supplement

manufacturers from educating their clients on nutritional

supplements by passing the Dietary Supplement

Health and Education Act (DSHEA). This act prohibits

supplement manufacturers to market or claim that their

products "cure, mitigate, treat, or prevent" any given disease

or illness. Instead, they can only make general

statements about their products. As a result, nutritional

supplements carry labels that are intentionally vague and

misleading to consumers. Finding which nutritional supplements

to take for any given illness has become close

to impossible.

DSHEA also gave the FDA the authority to remove any

nutritional supplement from the market if it "proved" to be

unsafe. Because of their broad definition of "unsafe" and

because most anything, even water, is unsafe in large

amounts, the FDA can now ban any nutritional supplement

which poses as competition to its pharmaceutical

partners. Ephedra is a perfect example. Green tea may

be next.

Third, lobbying by the pharmaceutical industry has enabled

the drug community to influence the media to set a

negative tone on the use of nutritional supplementation.

More often than not, the message is that natural alternatives

to prescription drugs are ineffective and dangerous.

Unable to distinguish between the truth and profit motives,

the general public has turned away from nutritional

supplements to embrace pharmaceutical drugs.

And finally, on the worldwide front, the pharmaceutically

compliant World Trade Organization (WTO) is working

rigorously to convince the nations of the world that ALL

human beings require the EXACT same amount of nutrients

and that anything above this amount is dangerous.

Under the guise of protecting vitamin consumers, the

WTO is using what is known as the CODEX ALIMENTARIUS

COMMISSION (CAC) to further restrict the free

use of nutritional supplements within the United States

and worldwide.

Specifically, the CAC is setting "Guidelines for Vitamin

and Mineral Food Supplements. " These guidelines are

more restrictive and could supercede current U.S. regulations

by dictating to the U.S. which nutrients are safe, the

maximum and minimum amounts allowed in a product,

and related packaging and labeling requirements.

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 29

The CAC stands firm in their conviction that these guidelines

are for the safety of others. If safety were the priority

the WTO could use the CAC to protect us from prescription

drugs, which kill and estimated 125,000 people every

year in the United States. Instead, they waste time on

nutritional supplements, which have killed less people

than rabid squirrel attacks.

The success of the aforementioned techniques lies in

fear. This fear is secured by the vested interests of professional

alarmists within the government who promote it

in order to minimize drug competition. The end result -

drug companies secure their lion's share and profit from

your pain.

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 30

Use it or lose it. Exercise is an important factor for preventing heart disease. This does not mean training for a marathon.

It simply means light exercise for moderate periods.

Proper exercise keeps the blood flowing smoothly through the arteries by enhancing “endothelial function” and helps

to distribute cytokines throughout the body. The end result is better circulation and prevention of plaque build-up

(atherosclerosis) . In 2005, the Journal of the American College of Cardiology showed that even a single exercise session

improved the health of blood vessels by 25%.

Exercise also lowers homocysteine levels. Homocysteine in the blood is a risk for heart disease due to its ability to

scar the arterial wall and therefore elicit plaque build-up..

Finally, exercise lowers blood glucose levels. High blood glucose can increase the risk of heart disease exponentially.

This is why diabetics have a 4.5 times greater chance of suffering from heart disease relative to non-diabetics—

high blood glucose.

These benefits of exercise are proof that habits create and eradicate disease, not drugs. Recognizing this, drug companies

and medical doctors will have to take huge pay cuts. Personal trainers are the true custodians of public health

– as dictated by science, not hype.

Exercise

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 31

If a panacea for obesity and aging ever existed it would

be the intentional act of controlling or lowering blood

sugar (glucose) – not dieting. I should know. By getting

my blood glucose under control I was able to descend

from 30% body fat to a lean 10%. Adding to the benefit of

being thin, this cure-all will obliterate insulin resistance,

Type-2 diabetes, the symptoms of ADHD/ADD, cancer

and heart disease.

The importance of this health alert demands attention—

the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) states that twothirds

of American adults are overweight or obese and

that early death from diabetes is an epidemic. America is

a graveyard. Most people are waiting to die comfortably

with symptom-masking FDA-approved drugs. Logic dictates

trash the Diet Coke, forget about your cholesterollowering

drug and galvanize this alert into your brain.

All substances are toxic, even water. The dose determines

whether or not a given substance becomes a poison.

This principle was established by Paracelsus in 1500

A.D. and applies to glucose and insulin.

Glucose can be considered the spark that ignites your

energy fire. Insulin is the match. As glucose enters your

bloodstream, insulin is released from the pancreas. Insulin

shuttles glucose and other nutrients into the cells of

your body. These important substances can also become

toxic. Let me explain.

A large amount of sugar (sucrose, high glycemic index

carbohydrates and fruit juice) intake leads to excessive

insulin production (referred to as the insulin spike). Just

like college students build tolerance to alcohol, the excess

insulin "numbs" your cells.

Not able to gain entry into your cells, glucose (and many

other nutrients) floats in your bloodstream with nowhere

to go. Recognizing the constant flow of glucose, the pancreas

continues to release insulin. Glucose and insulin

become poisonous. Havoc sets in.

Most alarming, insulin inhibits your ability to burn fat by

blocking “thermogenesis.” Thermogenesis is your Godgiven

right to be thin. It is the process by which your

body rids itself of fat by converting it to heat. Insulin suffocates

this process. This is true regardless of exercise

and/or diet; tattoo this fact onto your brain.

Those who suffer from this negative side effect associated

with excess sugar intake will become slaves to an

out-of-control biochemical nightmare. In most cases, this

nightmare is not reversible. Unable to awaken from it, it is

characterized by constant sugar cravings, unquenchable

thirst, excess urination, continued fat gain (has your body

fat percentage been climbing over the years?), moodiness

and low energy.

As predictably as your family doctor erroneously prescribes

Lipitor for prevention of heart disease, these

symptoms will manifest into obesity, then insulin resistance,

followed by Type-2 diabetes, heart disease, cancer

and eventually early death. Forget about “Band-Aid”

drugs and make a decision to lower glucose naturally.

To ameliorate high blood glucose utilize the following

techniques:

• If it tastes sweet, and it’s not an organic piece of fruit

or Stevia, SPIT IT OUT!

• 1 tablespoon of psyllium husk in water before each

meal

• 1-6 grams of cinnamon per day57

• 300-600 mg of alpha-lipoic acid (ALA) per day

• 10-25 mg of 1% banaba leaf (corosolic acid) per day

• Eliminate high glycemic index carbs from diet

• Consume seeds and/or nuts with meals/snacks

• And of course, exercise moderately

Help for the Obese – How to Control Blood Glucose

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 32

Once blood sugar is controlled over a long period of time,

plan on looking and feeling 5-10 years younger. The

death threat from obesity, diabetes, heart disease and

cancer will be nothing more than a bad dream.

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 33

Sugar addiction is a real and present danger. Addiction to

sucrose may be considered the number one cause of

obesity. Obesity is a well-established risk factor for heart

disease. The addiction is best illustrated by our natural

tendency to refer to our little girls as “Sugar.”

The voluntary act of relating our loved ones to sugar is

due to the fact that like sugar, love for our children feels

good. Said another way, love blocks pain.

Scientists have discovered this similarity between sugars

and love to be their ability to trigger opioid receptors.

When these receptors are triggered, a complex cascade

of reactions is ignited. This cascade culminates in the

inability to feel pain. The end result is happiness.

In addition to sugar and love, drugs can also trigger

opioid receptors. These drugs include opium, codeine,

morphine and oxycodone. Accordingly, they are known as

opiates. Beyond just plain ol’ happiness, opiates can elicit

unequivocal feelings of euphoria. This in part explains

why they can be so addictive – this euphoria is hard to

come by naturally, but not impossible. It also might explain

why those people who lack the feeling of being

loved reach to either sugar (i.e. your wife eats chocolate

when upset) or drugs.

Most anything that triggers opioid receptors may become

addictive for some people. Some addictions are healthy.

Some are not, as in sugar addiction.

Happiness is the most sought after feeling in the world.

Sugar is among the most abundant chemicals around.

Herein lies the problem. Because sugar makes people

happy and because it is so readily available, it can be

addictive. This is unhealthy due to the many side effects

of sugar, and specifically obesity.

A sugar addiction is rationalized by a myriad of excuses.

They typically go like this: Everyone drinks soda, If it was

bad for me they would not sell it, Kids eat it, it must be

O.K., It said “sugar free” on the label, I’ll quit tomorrow, I

don’t mind being fat, it’s in my genetics, Everyone is fat,

Fat is healthy, I read somewhere that sugar is not addictive.

Knowing how the sugar addiction develops provides great

insight into how to treat it. When consumed, sugar increases

serotonin levels within the brain. This increases

the production of endorphins. Like drugs, these brain

chemicals trigger opioid receptors, thereby eliciting happiness,

or blocking pain.

If opioid receptors are repeatedly triggered by sugar,

thereby artificially increasing serotonin levels, the human

body down regulates its natural production and release of

serotonin. Serotonin is responsible for controlling mood

and appetite.58 Without serotonin a person is depressed

and craves more sugar. This forges an emotional bond

between happiness and sugar. Sugar addicts become

dependent on it to increase serotonin and therefore make

them happy. This phenomenon has been referred to as

“emotional eating.” Over time, emotional eating results in

fat gain because it revolves around eating sugar, which

blocks thermogenesis.

To overcome this, sugar addicts need to develop a

healthy addiction that increases serotonin levels without

eliciting negative side effects like sugar. Two habits fit

these criteria, exercise and the use of the essential amino

acid L-tryptophan (not 5-HTP).

The well-known “runners high” is the result of endorphins

triggering opioid receptors. This feeling of happiness can

be attained with even moderate exercise. It is a superb

replacement to sugar. Admittedly, this replacement requires

substantially more effort than eating Dairy Queen

and can result in an unhealthy addiction – as seen by

those who exercise daily. Balance is required.

L-tryptophan is an easy replacement to sugar and supplementing

with it periodically should be combined with exer-

How to Quit Sugar Forever and Activate Thermogenesis

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 34

cise. It increases the body’s own supply of serotonin by

serving as a "building block" of it. Resultantly, Ltryptophan

users eliminate their biological craving to

sugar. This essential amino acid also increases melatonin.

This is a welcome benefit to those who enjoy a

good night’s sleep.

Once the sugar addiction is ended, thermogenesis will be

activated – allowing anyone the ability to live thin and

slim. This alone greatly decreases your chances of suffering

from heart disease.

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 35

Professor Terry Davidson and associate professor Susan Withers at Purdue University have discovered that artificial

sweeteners, like sugar, disrupt satiety; the feeling of being full.

Their results, published in the International Journal of Obesity showed that “mouth feel” plays a crucial role in the

body’s ability to count calories and that when we consume artificial sweeteners, we disrupt the body’s ability to count

calories based on sweetness.

Artificial sweeteners cause us to overeat without conscious awareness.59 In other words, you think you’re not eating

like a pig, but in reality, you are.

Apparently, makers of health food bars and protein supplements have not been made aware of the ill effects of sugar.

This can be seen by the fact that most every health food bar and protein supplement is loaded with sugar or artificial

sweeteners. The belief that these bars and supplements are healthy for you is a perfect example of how marketing

strategies can supersede medical science and common sense.

Instead of “low carb” we need low or no sugar. Recognizing this, a SafeTaste© Certification has been employed to

act as a regulatory measure among health foods and supplements. Yielding the SafeTaste© Certification shows consumers

that in fact the health food or supplement they are consuming contains no sugar (sucrose) or artificial flavors.

Without this certification, be wary of consuming it. Learn more at www.safetastecertif ication.com.

Why Not Artificial Flavors?

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 36

Health and longevity was not meant to be risky, complicated or expensive. To attenuate the risk of using cholesterollowering

drugs while preventing heart disease, the general public must say no to FDA approved drug addiction and

utilize healthy lifestyle habits. This is especially important for children. Atherosclerosis can begin in childhood.

Good health does not come overnight, it is a process. The first step in this process is to lower your intake or abstain

from sugar and grain products. Focusing on this will prove to be simple, effective and most affordable.

Make a decision to be alive rather than to simply live.

Help Distribute

Purchase bulk quantities (12 or more) of this PRINT book at a TREMENDOUS discount by calling 888.207.9843

Closing

Hidden Truth About Cholesterol- Lowering Drugs Page 37

Shane is the author of Health Myths Exposed, one of the most controversial and beneficial natural health books available.

He holds a Master's degree in organic chemistry and has first-hand experience in drug design.

Abandoning synthetic medicine, he is an independent researcher, a consultant to the nutritional supplement industry

and developer of the SafeTaste Certification seal. He is also the founder of HealthFX Nutraceuticals (www.healthfx.

net) – a distributor and private label manufacturer of fine nutritional supplements for prevention and reversal of

heart disease, longevity, fat loss and sports performance.

Shane is a member of The International Network of Cholesterol Skeptics (www.thincs. org) as well as a proud husband

and father.

His extensive study of biochemistry and the use of natural products as medicine have elevated him above the mediocre

and lazy thinking which runs rampant throughout the healthcare industry

My cholesterol has gone from 262 to 289 in 6 months.

HDL 77 Triglicherides 85 Direct LDL 194

Feeling that the french vanilla cream I was using in high quantities

could be the culprit of high cholesterol, I stopped using it in February.

For 4 straight months I ate extremely healthy, and during the summer

brought back meat and bread.

I am concerned that perhaps some of the supplements I have been taking

could be helping with the high cholesterol.

Is there a site that lists the supplements that can cause cholesterol

problems? I have read that high vit A and high vit D can lead to

higher cholesterol.

thank you

Joyce

Hey Joyce,

Does high cholesterol run in your family? Unfortunately, if so, even a

healthy diet and exercise can make it more challenging to lower. I

would eliminate that meat for starters though! And, if you're a midlife

woman, it's common to see an increase in cholesterol due to hormonal

changes and liver function.

It is believed that glucosamine and chondroitin tend to raise

cholesterol, but I haven't heard of any others. That doesn't mean they

don't exist!

Vitamin D actually helps. It is created from cholesterol! Provide your

body with adequate sunlight and excess cholesterol is turned into

vitamin D, a hormone with responsibilities including calcium

metabolisation, blood sugar regulation, blood pressure regulation,

mental health function, diabetes prevention, etc.

Michelle

http://www.HolisticMenopause.com

---here is a book right up your street on this stuff

the healthy heart programme by dr richard fleming

p

In , " mom " <snaffles wrote:

>

> My cholesterol has gone from 262 to 289 in 6 months.

> HDL 77 Triglicherides 85 Direct LDL 194

>

> Feeling that the french vanilla cream I was using in high quantities

> could be the culprit of high cholesterol, I stopped using it in

February.

>

> For 4 straight months I ate extremely healthy, and during the summer

> brought back meat and bread.

>

> I am concerned that perhaps some of the supplements I have been taking

> could be helping with the high cholesterol.

>

> Is there a site that lists the supplements that can cause cholesterol

> problems? I have read that high vit A and high vit D can lead to

> higher cholesterol.

>

> thank you

> Joyce

>

Joyce,

You overall cholesterol and LDL is high. Overall it should be under 200 and LDL

100 or below. But you HDL is high and your triglycerides are low which does

offset the high counts. If you can get your overall and LDL down you will be in

good shape. I would do a bit of research on the internet. Dairy fat is the

worst other than maybe lard and very fatty meat. It has lots of saturated fat

and cholesterol. The power of cheese also has the power to kill. When I was a

lacto ova vegetarian I discovered my overall cholesterol and LDL were high.

Unfortunately my HDL was low, a deadly combination, and I developed heart

disease. However, with a combination of medications, diet and supplements my

overall cholesterol is now 130 and LDL 67. My HDL still fluctuates from the

30's to the 50's and the 50's is very high for me. HDL is very genetic and more

difficult to change than LDL but can be increased with a lot of diligence but

you are good in that area.

Go for a plant based diet as much as possible and if eating animal proteins then

eat lean proteins and good fats: nuts, olive oil, flax seed oil, avocadoes,etc.

Though I am a vegan vegetarian certain types of fish and fish oil are excellent

but so are some vegetarian foods and oils. Do research on the internet and

maybe meet with a holistic physician as the supplements and dietary guidelines

are too numerous to mention here.

Richard

Fear is a natural reaction to moving closer to the truth.

---Pema Chödrön

Only animal protiens produces and create high LDL cholesterol. Plant based

proteins do not produce any form of cholesterol therefore it can not increase

LDL (  the bad type). If you based your lifestyle on a plant based program you

will be assured a much lower LDL and a much more stable HDL ( The good Stuff).

The protein from a Plant based source will be more beneficial to your body

anyway.

In Good HEalth...Naturally,

Dr Scott B Raphael, TND

--- On Mon, 9/22/08, RNR <rnr4biz wrote:

RNR <rnr4biz

Re:High Cholesterol

Monday, September 22, 2008, 7:31 PM

Joyce,

You overall cholesterol and LDL is high. Overall it should be under 200 and

LDL 100 or below. But you HDL is high and your triglycerides are low which does

offset the high counts. If you can get your overall and LDL down you will be in

good shape. I would do a bit of research on the internet. Dairy fat is the

worst other than maybe lard and very fatty meat. It has lots of saturated fat

and cholesterol. The power of cheese also has the power to kill. When I was a

lacto ova vegetarian I discovered my overall cholesterol and LDL were high.

Unfortunately my HDL was low, a deadly combination, and I developed heart

disease. However, with a combination of medications, diet and supplements my

overall cholesterol is now 130 and LDL 67. My HDL still fluctuates from the

30's to the 50's and the 50's is very high for me. HDL is very

genetic and more difficult to change than LDL but can be increased with a lot of

diligence but you are good in that area.

Go for a plant based diet as much as possible and if eating animal proteins

then eat lean proteins and good fats: nuts, olive oil, flax seed oil,

avocadoes,etc. Though I am a vegan vegetarian certain types of fish and fish

oil are excellent but so are some vegetarian foods and oils. Do research on the

internet and maybe meet with a holistic physician as the supplements and dietary

guidelines are too numerous to mention here.

Richard

Fear is a natural reaction to moving closer to the truth.

---Pema Chödrön

Resveratrol can be a key component for healthy cholesterol levels

along with maintaining a healthy heart. Anyone suffering from high

cholesterol and/or coronary heart disease can benefit tremendously

from using a combination of phytochemicals and other antioxidants,

including Resveratrol. One of my clients, a 34 y.o. female and

mother of two, had a total cholesterol of 304 and triglycerides were

at 1206! After using the combination I had just mentioned, her total

cholesterol dropped 90 points and her triglycerides came down to 460

in one month. She still has a way to go, but is now motivated to be

healthier. Anyone interested in learning more, send an email. I

have many scientific studies showing the effects of phytochemicals

and antioxidants on the body. I will be glad to share with all that

are interested.

, " mom " <snaffles wrote:

>

>

February.

>

>

> I am concerned that perhaps some of the supplements I have been

taking

>

> Is there a site that lists the supplements that can cause

cholesterol

> higher cholesterol.

>

> thank you

> Joyce

>

Hi - Can you please share those studies with me? I'm very interested in reading

them and learning. Thanks!

colleen

--- On Tue, 9/23/08, healthylife14 <healthylife14 wrote:

healthylife14 <healthylife14

Re: High Cholesterol

Tuesday, September 23, 2008, 3:53 PM

Resveratrol can be a key component for healthy cholesterol levels

along with maintaining a healthy heart. Anyone suffering from high

cholesterol and/or coronary heart disease can benefit tremendously

from using a combination of phytochemicals and other antioxidants,

including Resveratrol. One of my clients, a 34 y.o. female and

mother of two, had a total cholesterol of 304 and triglycerides were

at 1206! After using the combination I had just mentioned, her total

cholesterol dropped 90 points and her triglycerides came down to 460

in one month. She still has a way to go, but is now motivated to be

healthier. Anyone interested in learning more, send an email. I

have many scientific studies showing the effects of phytochemicals

and antioxidants on the body. I will be glad to share with all that

are interested.

, " mom " <snaffles@.. .> wrote:

>

>

February.

>

>

> I am concerned that perhaps some of the supplements I have been

taking

>

> Is there a site that lists the supplements that can cause

cholesterol

> higher cholesterol.

>

> thank you

> Joyce

>