IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Sorry for the poor grammer and typos...was in a hurry and didn't double check!

--C----- On Fri, 1/29/10, Celia Browne <lady_celia wrote:

Celia Browne <lady_celiaRe: [RFSL] Re: newbie Date: Friday, January 29, 2010, 10:46 AM

What part of Michigan are you in? And how do you pick up your milk each week...drive to the farm??? And do you milk the cow yourself or is it done by the farmer? Just curious...

I am in Washington, MI just outside Romeo and I don't *think* there are any around here. The last I heard there was a farm about 50 miles from whereby the farmer got arrested leaving his farm hauling a truck load of raw milk for distribution. Don't know what ever came of it but it made me think of how stupid it is that they would go to such lengths to stop a farmer from selling a natural milk product but I can walk into any bar in town and drink myself (legally) into alcohol poisoning!

As for the cow share program, it would be good idea but it's just too much for me. I am a single person who consumes and uses very little milk/cream/dairy. I live and eat frugally so that also be about 25% of my monthly grocery budget. Ideally I would like to find another single person (or two) to split the cow share with! <grins>

Thanks,

--Cee--

--- On Fri, 1/29/10, Angela Rizley Grant <arizley > wrote:

Angela Rizley Grant <arizley >Re: [RFSL] Re: newbieFriday, January 29, 2010, 10:07 AM

Raw milk can be found in Michigan, if you can find a cow share program.

We own 1/2 a cow share ($100 up front) and pay $28 per month for the boarding fee which allows us 1/2 a share worth of milk each week.

Celia B <lady_celia >Fri, January 29, 2010 9:12:05 AM[RFSL] Re: newbie

Welcome, Anji_s3!I'm from Michigan where raw milk is (as I understood it--past tense) totally illegal, so I have yet to taste it. I recently found out that the local Whole Foods (which is actually an hour away from me) sells some raw cheese, which has left me a little confused yet quite happy with the idea that I can finally experience raw dairy in SOME form. I am moving to New Mexico in June, which will place me near my niece who has laying chickens. This means I'll have access to free range chicken eggs and (hopefully) a source for raw milk.We'll see! Anyone here know anything about the laws in New Mexico as regards to raw milk???Have a good one!--Celia--, "anji_s3" <anji.sandage@ ...> wrote:>> Hey everyone! I am new. I am a

mom of 4 who is trying to keep it simple. I am into real food, self sufficiency and my kids :) I have a raw milk page on facebook. . . any of you are welcome to check it out: http://www.facebook .com/pages/ Raw-Milk/ 31729654556? v=wall>

Guest guest

Angela,What farm are you using? I just emailed a farm just outside of St. Johns about their cow share program, and it's like $150, $25 a month for a half share, and about $4.50 for the dropoff, for a gallon. They're doing a drop off not far from me (Farmington Hills).

SarahOn Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Angela Rizley Grant <arizley wrote:

We own 1/2 a cow share ($100 up front) and pay $28 per month for the boarding fee which allows us 1/2 a share worth of milk each week.

Celia B <lady_celia

Fri, January 29, 2010 9:12:05 AM[RFSL] Re: newbie 

Welcome, Anji_s3!I'm from Michigan where raw milk is (as I understood it--past tense) totally illegal, so I have yet to taste it. I recently found out that the local Whole Foods (which is actually an hour away from me) sells some raw cheese, which has left me a little confused yet quite happy with the idea that I can finally experience raw dairy in SOME form. I am moving to New Mexico in June, which will place me near my niece who has laying chickens. This means I'll have access to free range chicken eggs and (hopefully) a source for raw milk.

We'll see! Anyone here know anything about the laws in New Mexico as regards to raw milk???Have a good one!--Celia--, " anji_s3 " <anji.sandage@ ...> wrote:

>> Hey everyone! I

am new. I am a mom of 4 who is trying to keep it simple. I am into real food, self sufficiency and my kids :) I have a raw milk page on facebook. . . any of you are welcome to check it out: http://www.facebook .com/pages/ Raw-Milk/ 31729654556? v=wall

>

Guest guest

Welcome, and thanks for the link to your Fb page.

Cyndi

anji_s3 <anji.sandage

Thu, Jan 28, 2010 10:31 pm

[RFSL] newbie

Hey everyone! I am new. I am a mom of 4 who is trying to keep it simple. I am into real food, self sufficiency and my kids :) I have a raw milk page on facebook. . . any of you are welcome to check it out: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Raw-Milk/31729654556?v=wall

Guest guest

No I dont, Cee, but you might want to check and see if there is a WAP chapter near where you are moving to. They will know for sure. :-)

I'm envious about the chickens and milk!

Cyndi

Celia B <lady_celia

Fri, Jan 29, 2010 6:12 am

[RFSL] Re: newbie

Welcome, Anji_s3!

I'm from Michigan where raw milk is (as I understood it--past tense) totally illegal, so I have yet to taste it. I recently found out that the local Whole Foods (which is actually an hour away from me) sells some raw cheese, which has left me a little confused yet quite happy with the idea that I can finally experience raw dairy in SOME form. I am moving to New Mexico in June, which will place me near my niece who has laying chickens. This means I'll have access to free range chicken eggs and (hopefully) a source for raw milk.

We'll see! Anyone here know anything about the laws in New Mexico as regards to raw milk???

Have a good one!

--Celia--

, "anji_s3" <anji.sandage wrote:

>

> Hey everyone! I am new. I am a mom of 4 who is trying to keep it simple. I am into real food, self sufficiency and my kids :) I have a raw milk page on facebook. . . any of you are welcome to check it out: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Raw-Milk/31729654556?v=wall

>

Guest guest

What does a half share translate to in terms of gallons?

Cyndi

Angela Rizley Grant <arizley

Fri, Jan 29, 2010 7:07 am

Re: [RFSL] Re: newbie

Celia B <lady_celia >

Fri, January 29, 2010 9:12:05 AM

Welcome, Anji_s3!

I'm from Michigan where raw milk is (as I understood it--past tense) totally illegal, so I have yet to taste it. I recently found out that the local Whole Foods (which is actually an hour away from me) sells some raw cheese, which has left me a little confused yet quite happy with the idea that I can finally experience raw dairy in SOME form. I am moving to New Mexico in June, which will place me near my niece who has laying chickens. This means I'll have access to free range chicken eggs and (hopefully) a source for raw milk.

We'll see! Anyone here know anything about the laws in New Mexico as regards to raw milk???

Have a good one!

--Celia--

, "anji_s3" <anji.sandage@ ...> wrote:

>

> Hey everyone! I am new. I am a mom of 4 who is trying to keep it simple. I am into real food, self sufficiency and my kids :) I have a raw milk page on facebook. . . any of you are welcome to check it out: http://www.facebook .com/pages/ Raw-Milk/ 31729654556? v=wall

>

Guest guest

Ours is in Coopersville, near Grand Rapids, and we have to go to the farm to get it.

Green Pastures is the name of the farm

Sarah Middendorff <lovetheaudiophile Sent: Fri, January 29, 2010 1:01:32 PMRe: [RFSL] Re: newbie

Angela,

What farm are you using? I just emailed a farm just outside of St. Johns about their cow share program, and it's like $150, $25 a month for a half share, and about $4.50 for the dropoff, for a gallon. They're doing a drop off not far from me (Farmington Hills).

Sarah

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Angela Rizley Grant <arizley > wrote:

Welcome, Anji_s3!I'm from Michigan where raw milk is (as I understood it--past tense) totally illegal, so I have yet to taste it. I recently found out that the local Whole Foods (which is actually an hour away from me) sells some raw cheese, which has left me a little confused yet quite happy with the idea that I can finally experience raw dairy in SOME form. I am moving to New Mexico in June, which will place me near my niece who has laying chickens. This means I'll have access to free range chicken eggs and (hopefully) a source for raw milk.We'll see! Anyone here know anything about the laws in New Mexico as regards to raw milk???Have a good one!--Celia--, "anji_s3" <anji.sandage@ ...> wrote:>> Hey everyone! I

am new. I am a mom of 4 who is trying to keep it simple. I am into real food, self sufficiency and my kids :) I have a raw milk page on facebook. . . any of you are welcome to check it out: http://www.facebook .com/pages/ Raw-Milk/ 31729654556? v=wall>

Guest guest

The farm is in Coopersville Mi, Green Pastures is the name of the farm. You pick the milk up each week. I actually go every 3 weeks .... I alternate with 2 friends as it is a 35 minute drive for us. I don't milk the cows.... wouldn't have a clue!

The milk is in a big silver thing (sorry I don't know what it is called) and we fill our own glass milk bottles.

Celia Browne <lady_celia Sent: Fri, January 29, 2010 10:46:26 AMRe: [RFSL] Re: newbie

What part of Michigan are you in? And how do you pick up your milk each week...drive to the farm??? And do you milk the cow yourself or is it done by the farmer? Just curious...

I am in Washington, MI just outside Romeo and I don't *think* there are any around here. The last I heard there was a farm about 50 miles from whereby the farmer got arrested leaving his farm hauling a truck load of raw milk for distribution. Don't know what ever came of it but it made me think of how stupid it is that they would go to such lengths to stop a farmer from selling a natural milk product but I can walk into any bar in town and drink myself (legally) into alcohol poisoning!

As for the cow share program, it would be good idea but it's just too much for me. I am a single person who consumes and uses very little milk/cream/dairy. I live and eat frugally so that also be about 25% of my monthly grocery budget. Ideally I would like to find another single person (or two) to split the cow share with! <grins>

Thanks,

--Cee--

Angela Rizley Grant <arizley >Re: [RFSL] Re: newbieFriday, January 29, 2010, 10:07 AM

Welcome, Anji_s3!I'm from Michigan where raw milk is (as I understood it--past tense) totally illegal, so I have yet to taste it. I recently found out that the local Whole Foods (which is actually an hour away from me) sells some raw cheese, which has left me a little confused yet quite happy with the idea that I can finally experience raw dairy in SOME form. I am moving to New Mexico in June, which will place me near my niece who has laying chickens. This means I'll have access to free range chicken eggs and (hopefully) a source for raw milk.We'll see! Anyone here know anything about the laws in New Mexico as regards to raw milk???Have a good one!--Celia--, "anji_s3" <anji.sandage@ ...> wrote:>> Hey everyone! I am new. I am a

mom of 4 who is trying to keep it simple. I am into real food, self sufficiency and my kids :) I have a raw milk page on facebook. . . any of you are welcome to check it out: http://www.facebook .com/pages/ Raw-Milk/ 31729654556? v=wall>

Guest guest

Says page not found...anji_s3 <anji.sandageFriday, January 29, 2010 1:31 AM Subject: [RFSL] newbie Hey everyone! I am new. I am a mom of 4 who is trying to keep it simple. I am into real food, self sufficiency and my kids :) I have a raw milk page on facebook. . . any of you are welcome to check it out: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Raw-Milk/31729654556?v=wallReply to sender | Reply to groupMessages in this topic (5)[The entire original message is not included]

Guest guest

Are you a member of facebook? I could pull it up just fine...

Cyndi

Kelli <kellihomemaker

Sat, Jan 30, 2010 7:54 am

RE: [RFSL] newbie

Says page not found...

anji_s3 <anji.sandage >

Friday, January 29, 2010 1:31 AM

[RFSL] newbie

Hey everyone! I am new. I am a mom of 4 who is trying to keep it simple. I am into real food, self sufficiency and my kids :) I have a raw milk page on facebook. . . any of you are welcome to check it out: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Raw-Milk/31729654556?v=wall

Reply to sender | Reply to group

Messages in this topic (5)

[The entire original message is not included]

Guest guest

<catching up on old e-mail>

Thank you, Angela. If I wasn't planning on moving in a few months, I would do more investigating to find something local for me. I'll wait until I'm settled in NM and see what's there...and hopefully find someone to share, LOL!

I found both a Whole Foods and a Trader Joe's only 1/2 hour from my house (as opposed to the hour I was driving before), and got my first taste of raw cheese. Delicious! They had very few varieties and all were hard, dry cheeses that reminded me of Parmesan or Romano in a block. I tend to prefer soft and creamy like Muenster or provolone, so I bought Swiss which was the softest they had. Does anyone know if there is a reason for that?

I hear on some of my WAP/NT lists that the same farmers that sell cow shares often sell creme fraiche(sp?), sour cream, piima cream (whatever THAT is!) and other fermented products. It would be so cool if I can find something like that in the new 'hood! Also, in talking to my niece in Arizona (the one that raises chickens for fresh eggs), who is just a 30 minute plane ride away, that she is very much in the "back to basics" mode when it comes to cooking and nutrition. I knew she was interested in better nutrition or she wouldn't be raising her own chicken eggs, but we had a fantastic discussion about WAP/NT and anything to do with a traditional, unadulterated diet. Much to my chagrin, however, I discovered that she and Joe (her fiance) still fall prey to current thought about meat and fat, so they are supplementing ground meat with processed vegetarian soy products. YUCK! I didn't say anything

as the time was not right, but I look forward to living near her so I can 'share' and rescue her from thinking the way *I* used to, haha!.

--C--

--- On Fri, 1/29/10, Angela Rizley Grant <arizley wrote:

Angela Rizley Grant <arizleyRe: [RFSL] Re: newbie Date: Friday, January 29, 2010, 2:35 PM

The farm is in Coopersville Mi, Green Pastures is the name of the farm. You pick the milk up each week. I actually go every 3 weeks .... I alternate with 2 friends as it is a 35 minute drive for us. I don't milk the cows.... wouldn't have a clue!

The milk is in a big silver thing (sorry I don't know what it is called) and we fill our own glass milk bottles.

Celia Browne <lady_celia >Fri, January 29, 2010 10:46:26 AMRe: [RFSL] Re: newbie

Thanks,

--Cee--

Guest guest

I don't eat a lot of cheese (it has horrendous intestinal consequences lol) but we have gotten soem raw cheese at Whole Foods too, and I agree the selection is kind of small. I don't know why that is. Recently i've seena real growth in local artisinal cheeses starting to show up. While not always raw, they are certainly GOOD. The lady who owns the farm where we garden makes a wonderful creamy, simple goat cheese that i believe is raw, from how she desceibed it. If you can get ahold of some raw goat's milk, you could probably make you own. It doesn't seem very hard, almost like the cheese you get when you strain yogurt.

There is still SO much bad information out there on soy. It has been ingrained in people how good it is for them, and its hard to convince people otherwise. It bothers me especially to see vegetarians eating that processed soy stuff.

Btw, they are most probably feeding their chickens a soy based food too. :-(

Cyndi

Celia Browne <lady_celia

Tue, Feb 2, 2010 6:23 am

Thank you, Angela. If I wasn't planning on moving in a few months, I would do more investigating to find something local for me. I'll wait until I'm settled in NM and see what's there...and hopefully find someone to share, LOL!

I found both a Whole Foods and a Trader Joe's only 1/2 hour from my house (as opposed to the hour I was driving before), and got my first taste of raw cheese. Delicious! They had very few varieties and all were hard, dry cheeses that reminded me of Parmesan or Romano in a block. I tend to prefer soft and creamy like Muenster or provolone, so I bought Swiss which was the softest they had. Does anyone know if there is a reason for that?

I hear on some of my WAP/NT lists that the same farmers that sell cow shares often sell creme fraiche(sp?), sour cream, piima cream (whatever THAT is!) and other fermented products. It would be so cool if I can find something like that in the new 'hood! Also, in talking to my niece in Arizona (the one that raises chickens for fresh eggs), who is just a 30 minute plane ride away, that she is very much in the "back to basics" mode when it comes to cooking and nutrition. I knew she was interested in better nutrition or she wouldn't be raising her own chicken eggs, but we had a fantastic discussion about WAP/NT and anything to do with a traditional, unadulterated diet. Much to my chagrin, however, I discovered that she and Joe (her fiance) still fall prey to current thought about meat and fat, so they are supplementing ground meat with processed vegetarian soy products. YUCK! I didn't say anything as the time was not right, but I look forward to living near her so I can 'share' and rescue her from thinking the way *I* used to, haha!.

--C--

Angela Rizley Grant <arizley >

Friday, January 29, 2010, 2:35 PM

Celia Browne <lady_celia >

Fri, January 29, 2010 10:46:26 AM

Thanks,

--Cee--

Friday, January 29, 2010, 10:07 AM

Celia B <lady_celia >

Welcome, Anji_s3!

Have a good one!

--Celia--

>

> Hey everyone! I am new. I am a mom of 4 who is trying to keep it simple. I am into real food, self sufficiency and my kids :) I have a raw milk page on facebook. . . any of you are welcome to check it out: http://www.facebook .com/pages/ Raw-Milk/ 31729654556? v=wall

>

Guest guest

No, no, no! Thank goodness they are not! It's one of the things I plan on pointing out to them...if it's not good enough for your chickens, why would you eat it??? <grins>--Cee-- --- On Tue, 2/2/10, cyndikrall

<cyndikrall wrote:cyndikrall <cyndikrallRe: [RFSL] Re: newbie Date: Tuesday, February 2, 2010, 7:03 PM

I don't eat a lot of cheese (it has horrendous intestinal consequences lol) but we have gotten soem raw cheese at Whole Foods too, and I agree the selection is kind of small. I don't know why that is. Recently i've seena real growth in local artisinal cheeses starting to show up. While not always raw, they are certainly GOOD. The lady who owns the farm where we garden makes a wonderful creamy, simple goat cheese that i believe is raw, from how she desceibed it. If you can get ahold of some raw goat's milk, you could probably make you own. It doesn't seem very hard, almost like the cheese you get when you strain yogurt.

There is still SO much bad information out there on soy. It has been ingrained in people how good it is for them, and its hard to convince people otherwise. It bothers me especially to see vegetarians eating that processed soy stuff.

Cyndi

I hear on some of my WAP/NT lists that the same farmers that sell cow shares often sell creme fraiche(sp?) , sour cream, piima cream (whatever THAT is!) and other fermented products. It would be so cool if I can find something like that in the new 'hood! Also, in talking to my niece in Arizona (the one that raises chickens for fresh eggs), who is just a 30 minute plane ride away, that she is very much in the "back to basics" mode when it comes to cooking and nutrition. I knew she was interested in better nutrition or she wouldn't be raising her own chicken eggs, but we had a fantastic discussion about WAP/NT and anything to do with a traditional, unadulterated diet. Much to my chagrin, however, I discovered that she and Joe (her fiance) still fall prey to current thought about meat and fat, so they are supplementing ground meat with processed vegetarian soy products. YUCK! I didn't say anything

as the time was not right, but I look forward to living near her so I can 'share' and rescue her from thinking the way *I* used to, haha!.

--C--

Thanks,

--Cee--

Celia B <lady_celia >

Welcome, Anji_s3!

Have a good one!

--Celia--

>

>

Guest guest

Now that is really strange-they won't feed soy to their chickens, but they will eat it themselves? Interesting......I am sure you will be enlightening them, lol. ;-)

Cyndi

Celia Browne <lady_celia

Wed, Feb 3, 2010 6:00 pm

No, no, no! Thank goodness they are not! It's one of the things I plan on pointing out to them...if it's not good enough for your chickens, why would you eat it??? <grins>

--Cee--

--- On Tue, 2/2/10, cyndikrall (AT) aol (DOT) com <cyndikrall (AT) aol (DOT) com> wrote:

cyndikrall (AT) aol (DOT) com <cyndikrall (AT) aol (DOT) com>

Tuesday, February 2, 2010, 7:03 PM

Cyndi

I hear on some of my WAP/NT lists that the same farmers that sell cow shares often sell creme fraiche(sp?) , sour cream, piima cream (whatever THAT is!) and other fermented products. It would be so cool if I can find something like that in the new 'hood! Also, in talking to my niece in Arizona (the one that raises chickens for fresh eggs), who is just a 30 minute plane ride away, that she is very much in the "back to basics" mode when it comes to cooking and nutrition. I knew she was interested in better nutrition or she wouldn't be raising her own chicken eggs, but we had a fantastic discussion about WAP/NT and anything to do with a traditional, unadulterated diet. Much to my chagrin, however, I discovered that she and Joe (her fiance) still fall prey to current thought about meat and fat, so they are supplementing ground meat with processed vegetarian soy products. YUCK! I didn't say anything as the time was not right, but I look forward to living near her so I can 'share' and rescue her from thinking the way *I* used to, haha!.

--C--

Thanks,

--Cee--

Celia B <lady_celia >

Welcome, Anji_s3!

Have a good one!

--Celia--

>

>