Guest guest

Kundalini Yoga and Scoliosis

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Does anyone have information about practicing Kundalini Yoga if they

have scoliosis? I have severe scoliosis. I had to have a spinal

fusion and have rods against my spine. I also have a great rotation

of the spine, and wonder if I will be receiving the same benefits as

others or if I should do things differently.

Satnam

Danette

Guest guest

Sat Nam Danette,

I truly appreciate your very important posting regarding Kundalini Yoga and scoliosis. I, too, have fairly severe scoliosis – right thoraco-lumbar, left lumbar curve, with significant rotation – and have been using yoga and bodywork as my modalities of choice for treating it. I have not had surgery, although it was recommended when I was in my early to mid-20s.

I have not experimented with using Kundalini Yoga as the only form of yoga to work with my scoliosis. For the past 13 years, my practice has also included a number of hatha yoga traditions, the most beneficial having been Iyengar and Anusara yoga. I have found these two traditions indispensable for their focus on alignment and therapeutics. Interestingly enough, they actually improved my experience of Kundalini Yoga as well. If you haven’t already, check out Elise Miller’s “Yoga for Scoliosis” and the Scoliosis and Back Care Center in NYC.

I think what Kundalini Yoga does do amazing job of, as I have found in my own practice with other forms of meditation and non-dualistic philosophical traditions, is really helping me to feel more compassionate and connected to this body. Although I understand that I am not this body, I have gradually been able to develop a sense of appreciation and gratitude for it as a vehicle through which I experience this human existence. Before really finding a practice that resonated with me and guided me along this dharmic path, I was frustrated and in a sense angry for my body and its “malformed” structure. Now, however, I have come to feel incredibly grateful. It was because of my need to find an alternative treatment for my scoliosis that I dove into yoga, welcomed it as a lifestyle and an very important aspect of my path, and eventually started teaching. I have learned humility and integrity in my asana practice, rather than permitting my ego to take control and force my body into potentially misaligning asanas that I have the strength and flexibility to do, but that compromise my body’s structure. This experience through asana practice has undoubtedly transformed my life. And meditation has given me the ability to turn inward, quiet the repetitions of the mind, celebrating my own divinity and the beautiful interconnectedness of all existence, and relating to my body with lovingkindess rather than harsh judgment.

Whatever your practice is, I think this latter piece is a critical part of feeling more connected to this body. Just because we are not this physical self does not mean that we shouldn’t love it, be grateful for it, and care for it. In terms of a hatha yogasana practice, I have found that Iyengar Yoga and Anusara Yoga are wonderful for caring for the specific needs of scoliosis.

If you have any questions about postures/exercises in certain kriyas and how to work with your scoliosis through them, please feel free to contact me at kmaresca. I teach both alignment-focused Hatha Yoga and Kundalini Yoga and would be happy to answer any specific questions and provide some suggestions.

In peace and community,

Kristin

Guru Rakha Kaur

Kristin Maresca

Mobile: 240.338.0895

Email: kmaresca

The only hunger that should exist in society is the hunger for spiritual knowledge. As long as the physical hunger is not removed, it is not possible for man to focus internally towards spiritual advancement.

_________

Peace, in the sense of the absence of war, is of little value to someone who is dying of hunger or cold. It will not remove the pain of torture inflicted on a prisoner of conscience. It does not comfort those who have lost their loved ones in floods caused by senseless deforestation in a neighboring country. Peace can only last where human rights are respected, where the people are fed, and where individuals and nations are free. -- HH The Dalai Lama

Guest guest

Dear Kristin,

I greatly appreciated your scoliosis post on the kundalini newsletter and agree

completely on the ways in which other styles of yoga can complement KY, which

isn't always strong on technical expertise (Guru Prem Singh here in LA is one

notable exception - I'm sure there are others).

As a certified KY teacher for over ten years, I also teach hatha and ashtanga

yoga, not simply to supplement my income, but also because I find the close

attention to posture and alignment essential in expanding my capability and

awareness in KY.

I too have found the greatest benefit of KY to be a slow, but inexorable and

profound pull towards expanding the compassionate heart - and all the benefits

that seem to accompany that miraculous transformation - accepting without

judging, the ability to forgiving myself and others on a daily basis, becoming

more courageous, etc ...

Blessings,

HD