IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Cost of srardham

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Sri:

Dear Sri Kocchappa Iyengar :

Thanks for your mail and staying deeply interested .

Yes , Many have responded and the exchanges are good .

Time has now come to take action .

The intent in taking action and creating ways to address

the needs of sincere AasthikAs is to come up with a solution

based on modern technology ( Skype , Multimedia , Text

and Video ) so that many who long to perform SrAddhAs but

do not have access to knowledgable Brahaspathys as well as

limited by the steep costs requsted by some Bruhaspathys .

We do not plan to reduce the earnings of Bruhaspathys but

want to create a Bruhaspathy assisted performance of

annual SraaddhAs and Maasa TarpaNams etc . The thinking

on my mind is the creation of an ebruhaspathy approach , where

the karthA is assisted online . The technical problems

are addressable . Precursory instructions will be provided

so that one approaches the performance in a prepared state .

I come from a family of Bruhaspathys , whose strength was

in the Knowledge of Veda Mantraas and PrayOgams and

they earned very little .They went to extraordinary lengths

for AasthikAs to recite the Mantrams precisely and follow

the prayOgams without Mantra lObham . My grandfather

was an expert in both the Yajur and Saama Veda prayOgams .

They wer eindeed PurohitAs in the fullest sense of the term .

There are a few uncompromising Bruhaspathys , who do n ot

look upon their services as a business . SambhAvanai YathA

Sakthi can be made . Those who have can give and the others

can provide sambhAvanai within their means . Bottom line ,

Vaidhika KarmAs are carried out and mental peace is attained

thru the performance of these prescribed pitru karmAs .

It will take a little time to set this all up but can be done if

Sri Lakshmi Nrisimhan blesses us to proceed .

A Membership oriented organization has to be built

for efficent cooperation and effective scheduling .

It would be more than a full time activity for

that "ebruhaspathy " , who can perhaps be assisted

by similar minded people to ease the load on the assumption

that there will be a good usage of such services to AasthikAs .

Let me hear from you whether you like this proposal

so that I can work further on this and streamline this

process . It is a major effort and it is not worth pursuing

unless there is significant interest .

Oppiliappan Koil V.Sadagopan

Co-Moderator , Vaideekam Groups

- kochappa Iyengar

Oppiliappan

Saturday, December 20, 2008 2:27 AM

Re: Re: Cost of srardham

Adiyen is moved by the sincere response from a number of swamins on the cost of srardham and most have concurred that concern should be for reduction of cost so that people with little or moderate finance will not be driven to think of giving up the practice. However, I doubt whether most of the bruhaspathis will ever listen, as they have their own concerns. However, I prostrate to all those swamins who took the pains to spend time to ponder on the issue. Someday, solution might come.

One swami had remarked that one should understand the meaning and do the srardham. It is true but who is going to explain the detailed meaning of mantras to karthas, as bruhaspathi swamins have also have to race against time. But I request that at least if any one explain, at least briefly, the significance of the following steps in srardham, it would be of solace that the financial strain is compensated.

1.After agnisanthanm by wife and owpasanam etc., placing (dropping ) the annam with ghee in the Agni, for pithu, pitha maha, pravitha mahan, mathu pithamahi and prapithamahi.

2. Placing annam on the floor before the leaf of nimantrana swamigal, after serving food to them but before their start partaking the food.

3. Placing the rice ball to crow

4. Pinda pradhanam with water and thil after the above.

Of the above, which is very vital and really goes as food to the forefarthers, so that if some bruhaspathi rushes through and omits we can ask for?

Adiyen,

Kochappaa--- On Mon, 15/12/08, thirunarayanan swamy iyengar <nanu_04011955 wrote:

thirunarayanan swamy iyengar <nanu_04011955Re: Re: Cost of srardhamOppiliappan Date: Monday, 15 December, 2008, 9:10 PM

Respected swamy,I know one Sama vadhyar by name Sriman U.Ve.Devanatha Iyengar, he will help the person(s) who do not have sufficient money to pay to the vadhyaar. But he will get more sambhavanai whose status is high without fail.My periappa who was in Serangulam near Mannargudi. He will go to others house for srardham as "Swamin" take oil bath and food etc. But instead of sambhavanai, he will accept only " THULASI THALAM". Similarly, my mutual understanding when my periappa does srardham in his house, the swami will also take only THULASI THALAM as sambhavanai from my periappa.No one should demand money. We have to do all ceremonies by mutual understanding only.S.THIRUNARAYANAN of Karappangadu--- On Tue, 9/12/08, kidambi1950 <kidambi1950@ > wrote:

kidambi1950 <kidambi1950@ > Re: Cost of srardhamOppiliappanTuesday, 9 December, 2008, 10:43 PM

Oppiliappan, "kochappaa" <kochappaa@.. .> wrote:> i accept the views expressed by Sri. Kochappa. the brahaspathis has to consider the fianancial capacity of the karthas. moreover many of the brahapathis are not even bothered to perform the rites/rituals in full and many times, if the kartha is not having any knowledge of the mantras, they skip the mantras and complete the srartham in 30 minutes. so it is time for them to relaise and come forward to help the poor brahmins. ofcourse, i am capable of meeting the demands of the vadhyars but writing this letter over my willingness that the poor should not stop the srarthams due to financial bvurden

k.r.narasimhan> Respected swamins,> I want to share a haunting thought of mine. I am a retired middle > class pensioner in Banglaore. For the past 3 or so years I find > things are becoming very costly for doing annual pitru srardhams. > The charges are like this: Rs.650 for Bruhaspathi + small coins > Rs.50, Rs.600 for 2 swmingals, Rs.700 for thaligai swami and the > provisions Rs. 600. Thus the total cost of a srardham is Rs.2600. I > have to do two per year and arrange for the srardham of my poor > sister who passed away. Many middle class bramins must be facing > this kind of music. Can any middle class person can afford such > costs? Whether any other people from other religion or even other > caste people would spend like this annually on remembering the > departed souls? Rs.500 if donated to an orphanate or oldage home > would feed atleast 25 mouths. Where is our sect heading towards. I > am sure that unless our sect wakes up and rationalise and regulate > these fleecing bruhaspathis, the whole custom of peforming such > rites would quickly vanish. It is time, our mutts start some > registered body where they should register these bruhaspahtis and > swamins and fix reasonable tariff also.> > adiyen > Kochappaa>

Connect with friends all over the world. Get India Messenger.

From Chandigarh to Chennai - find friends all over India.

Guest guest

Sri:

the needs of sincere AasthikAs is to come up with a solution based on modern technology ( Skype , Multimedia , Text and Video ) so that many who long to perform SrAddhAs but do not have access to knowledgable Brahaspathys as well as limited by the steep costs requsted by some Bruhaspathys .

on my mind is the creation of an ebruhaspathy approach , where the karthA is assisted online . The technical problems are addressable . Precursory instructions will be provided so that one approaches the performance in a prepared state .

was an expert in both the Yajur and Saama Veda prayOgams . They were indeed PurohitAs in the fullest sense of the term .

There are a few uncompromising Bruhaspathys , who do not look upon their services as a business . SambhAvanai YathA Sakthi can be made . Those who have can give and the others can provide sambhAvanai within their means . Bottom line , Vaidhika KarmAs are carried out and mental peace is attained thru the performance of these prescribed pitru karmAs .

by similar minded people to ease the load on the assumption that there will be a good usage of such services to AasthikAs .

-

kochappa Iyengar

Oppiliappan

Adiyen is moved by the sincere response from a number of swamins on the cost of srardham and most have concurred that concern should be for reduction of cost so that people with little or moderate finance will not be driven to think of giving up the practice. However, I doubt whether most of the bruhaspathis will ever listen, as they have their own concerns. However, I prostrate to all those swamins who took the pains to spend time to ponder on the issue. Someday, solution might come.

One swami had remarked that one should understand the meaning and do the srardham. It is true but who is going to explain the detailed meaning of mantras to karthas, as bruhaspathi swamins have also have to race against time. But I request that at least if any one explain, at least briefly, the significance of the following steps in srardham, it would be of solace that the financial strain is compensated.

1.After agnisanthanm by wife and owpasanam etc., placing (dropping ) the annam with ghee in the Agni, for pithu, pitha maha, pravitha mahan, mathu pithamahi and prapithamahi.

2. Placing annam on the floor before the leaf of nimantrana swamigal, after serving food to them but before their start partaking the food.

Of the above, which is very vital and really goes as food to the forefarthers, so that if some bruhaspathi rushes through and omits we can ask for?

Adiyen,

Kochappaa--- On Mon, 15/12/08, thirunarayanan swamy iyengar <nanu_04011955 > wrote:

thirunarayanan swamy iyengar <nanu_04011955 >Re: Re: Cost of srardhamOppiliappan Date: Monday, 15 December, 2008, 9:10 PM

Respected swamy,I know one Sama vadhyar by name Sriman U.Ve.Devanatha Iyengar, he will help the person(s) who do not have sufficient money to pay to the vadhyaar. But he will get more sambhavanai whose status is high without fail.My periappa who was in Serangulam near Mannargudi. He will go to others house for srardham as "Swamin" take oil bath and food etc. But instead of sambhavanai, he will accept only " THULASI THALAM". Similarly, my mutual understanding when my periappa does srardham in his house, the swami will also take only THULASI THALAM as sambhavanai from my periappa.No one should demand money. We have to do all ceremonies by mutual understanding only.S.THIRUNARAYANAN of Karappangadu--- On Tue, 9/12/08, kidambi1950 <kidambi1950@ > wrote:

kidambi1950 <kidambi1950@ > Re: Cost of srardhamOppiliappanTuesday, 9 December, 2008, 10:43 PM

Oppiliappan, "kochappaa" <kochappaa@.. .> wrote:> i accept the views expressed by Sri. Kochappa. the brahaspathis has to consider the fianancial capacity of the karthas. moreover many of the brahapathis are not even bothered to perform the rites/rituals in full and many times, if the kartha is not having any knowledge of the mantras, they skip the mantras and complete the srartham in 30 minutes. so it is time for them to relaise and come forward to help the poor brahmins. ofcourse, i am capable of meeting the demands of the vadhyars but writing this letter over my willingness that the poor should not stop the srarthams due to financial bvurden

k.r.narasimhan

> Respected swamins,> I want to share a haunting thought of mine. I am a retired middle class pensioner in Banglaore. For the past 3 or so years I find things are becoming very costly for doing annual pitru srardhams.

The charges are like this: Rs.650 for Bruhaspathi + small coins Rs.50, Rs.600 for 2 swmingals, Rs.700 for thaligai swami and the provisions Rs. 600. Thus the total cost of a srardham is Rs.2600. I have to do two per year and arrange for the srardham of my poor sister who passed away. Many middle class bramins must be facing this kind of music. Can any middle class person can afford such costs? Whether any other people from other religion or even other caste people would spend like this annually on remembering the departed souls? Rs.500 if donated to an orphanate or oldage home would feed atleast 25 mouths. Where is our sect heading towards. I am sure that unless our sect wakes up and rationalise and regulate these fleecing bruhaspathis, the whole custom of peforming such rites would quickly vanish. It is time, our mutts start some registered body where they should register these bruhaspahtis and swamins and fix reasonable tariff also.> > adiyen > Kochappaa>

Guest guest

SrI:

Dear Sriman Kocchappa :

Sriman NVS Swamy of West Mamabalam ,

a highly regarded Brahaspati has provided to

your very fundamental questions .

We are all gratefukl for him to be our reference

source , when we have doubts on PrayOgams

as well as meanings .

BamO Veda PurushAya ,

V.Sadadgopan

- Sri Vaishnava Kendram Deevalur Srinivasachariyar

Dr.V.Sadagopan

Sunday, December 21, 2008 1:36 PM

Re: Fw: Re: Cost of srardham

Dear Sriman Sadagopachar Swamin,

1.After agnisanthanm by wife and owpasanam etc., placing (dropping ) the annam with ghee in the Agni, for pithu, pitha maha, pravitha mahan, mathu pithamahi and prapithamahi.The mantram for this six homams are the same with slight change:"yanme maataa pralulobha charati ananuvradha thanme reta: ....... pita / pitamaha / prapitamaha .... vrungtaam ..... gotrAya sharmaNe Vasu / rudra / Aditya roopAyapitre / pitamahaya / prapitAmahAya swAhA"Meaning: this mantram stresses the real meaning for the term 'pitru' as : The Aahuti must reach 'the person who is the real cause for my birth' or 'the person by whoms 'retas' (semen) I was made' So, these are the perfect mantras So, these are very vital and really goes as food to the forefarthers

2. Placing annam on the floor before the leaf of nimantrana swamigal, after serving food to them but before their start partaking the food.Mantram for this action: Placing annam before pitru leaf: "asamskruta prametAye tyAginyoyA: kulastraya: dhAsyAmi tebhya: vikiramannam tAbhyasca paitrukam"Meaning: "The pitrus who had droped without proper samskaaram, for those pitrus trupti, I am placing this vikiram"

3. Placing the rice ball to crowMantram while placing the rice ball over a dharbha bhugnam:"agni dagdebhya: anagni dagdebhya: asmat kula prasuuti mrutebhya: ayam piNda: swatA nama:"Meaning: pitrus for who had crimated with fire or without fire (gaganam) and some shishus might have gone in the womb itself, for those type of pitrus I am placing this rice ball as food.

4. Pinda pradhanam with water and thil after the above.We are doing this with the same balance annam used for the previous pitru homam,These pindams are some anna roopa representation for those pitrus to do the shodasa upacharams like Argya, PAtya, Achamaneeya, vastra, gandha, pushpa, dhuupa, deepa, uttareeya, aaparaNa, alankaara, mAshApuupa, gudApuupa, pAneeya, tAmbuula etc.I have answered for a good question after very long time, you can send it through all your / our groups.dhanyosmi,dAsan,nvs

kochappa Iyengar

Oppiliappan

Adiyen,

Kochappaa

Guest guest

SrI:

Dear Members :

How many of you need teledistance

help both in India and abroad

thru the services of a "ebruhaspathy"

for your Vaidheeka Performance needs ?

Do you have any quality guidance now

on a systematic basis ?

Are you limited by lack of Bruhaspathys

in your area ? Are the cost prohibitive

to the point that you are unable to

perform these Vaidhika KarmAs ?

Do you welcome this idea ?

Please send in your comments to

go further with this idea .

Without any strong response ,

there is no point in spending

too much time for the benefit of

a non-robust , dwindling set of adhikAris

with luke warm interest in such services .

Please let us know thru this internal poll .

Thanks for your participation .

V.Sadagopan

Co-Moderator

- raghunathan r

Oppiliappan

Monday, December 22, 2008 3:40 AM

RE: Re: Cost of srardham

Guest guest

- raghunathan r

Oppiliappan

Monday, December 22, 2008 3:40 AM

RE: Re: Cost of srardham

Swamin,

Your proposal for e-bruhaspathy is something novel, but workable.

Kindly elucidate the expectations from e-bruhaspathy and the modalities of the whole project. I would love to take part in it.

Dasan

Raghunathan

--- On Sun, 12/21/08, chari srinivas <srivari58 wrote:

chari srinivas <srivari58RE: Re: Cost of srardhamoppiliappan Date: Sunday, December 21, 2008, 12:56 PM

Dear Shri Sadagopan

The proposal for ebruhaspati approach is indeed laudable. This will cater to many asthikas

spread throughout the globe. In fact usage of the site can also be subject to

voluntary payment and I am sure asthikas using the site will offer compensation

for the sake of maintenance and ongoing updates. We look upon knowledgeable individual

for rendering such help.

Thanks

Chariar dasan

Oppiliappan; saranagathi; Tiruvenkatam; desikasampradaya; RamanujaandDesika; ; ; Raamabhakthi; Rajeev@parakalamath am.orgCC: ahobilavalli; hindusrikanth@ gmail.comyennappan (AT) computer (DOT) netSun, 21 Dec 2008 07:48:47 -0500Fw: Re: Cost of srardham

Sri:

- kochappa Iyengar

Oppiliappan

Adiyen,

Kochappaa--- On Mon, 15/12/08, thirunarayanan swamy iyengar <nanu_04011955@ > wrote:

thirunarayanan swamy iyengar <nanu_04011955@ >Re: Re: Cost of srardhamOppiliappanMonday, 15 December, 2008, 9:10 PM

k.r.narasimhan> Respected swamins,> I want to share a haunting thought of mine. I am a retired middle > class pensioner in Banglaore. For the past 3 or so years I find > things are becoming very costly for doing annual pitru srardhams. > The charges are like this: Rs.650 for Bruhaspathi + small coins > Rs.50, Rs.600 for 2 swmingals, Rs.700 for thaligai swami and the > provisions Rs. 600. Thus the total cost of a srardham is Rs.2600. I > have to do two per year and arrange for the srardham of my poor > sister who passed away. Many middle class bramins must be facing > this kind of music. Can any middle class person can afford such > costs? Whether any other people from other religion or even other > caste people would spend like this annually on remembering the > departed souls? Rs.500 if donated to an orphanate or oldage home > would feed atleast 25 mouths. Where is our sect heading towards. I > am sure that unless our sect wakes up and rationalise and regulate > these fleecing bruhaspathis, the whole custom of peforming such > rites would quickly vanish. It is time, our mutts start some > registered body where they should register these bruhaspahtis and > swamins and fix reasonable tariff also.> > adiyen > Kochappaa>

>From Chandigarh to Chennai - find friends all over India.

Get easy photo sharing with Windows Live™ Photos. Drag n’ drop

Guest guest

Dear Mama,Your clarification on the Sraddha mantras and their significance is so good that we all know what we are doing on that day. Instead of a ritual, we know what mantras mean when we do all these. Thanks and RegardsPadmanabhanT V Padmanabhan Advocate

Guest guest

Respected swamyCan I suggest one point here? I got a flash report in my mind.A very good Adhyana bruhaspathy like NVS swamy can render help by way of "Sandhai" as well as Srardha Prayogam also. Even thro' E-Bruhaspathy, the sandhai class can be conducted including prayogam (Practical).All the best for the swamy's endeavour. Adiyen Ramanuja DasanS.THIRUNARAYANAN--- On Thu, 25/12/08, kochappa Iyengar <kochappaa wrote:kochappa Iyengar <kochappaaRe: Fw: Re: Cost of srardhamOppiliappan Date: Thursday, 25 December, 2008, 11:43 AM

Sri:

Namaskaram to Sri. Sadagopan swamin.

At the outset kindly bear with the delay in my reply. My mail did not open for 3 days.

I am extremely grateful for the kind steps your goodself and Sriman nvs swamy offered. I will certainly render whatever assistance that I could do. The e bruhaspathi would be a great boon to many. I earnestly hope many asthikas will come forward to lend a helping hand.

Adiyen

Kochappaa

--- On Sun, 21/12/08, Dr.V.Sadagopan <yennappan (AT) computer (DOT) net> wrote:

Dr.V.Sadagopan <yennappan (AT) computer (DOT) net>Fw: Re: Cost of srardham"Ponnappan" <Oppiliappan>, "Sgt" <saranagathi>, "SG" <Tiruvenkatam>, "DS" <desikasampradaya>, RamanujaandDesika, "Swami" <>, "IRS" <>, "RB" <Raamabhakthi>, Rajeev@parakalamath am.orgCc: "av" <ahobilavalli>, "Srikanth Veeraraghavan" <hindusrikanth@ gmail.com>Sunday, 21 December, 2008, 6:18 PM

Sri:

- kochappa Iyengar

Oppiliappan

Adiyen,

Kochappaa--- On Mon, 15/12/08, thirunarayanan swamy iyengar <nanu_04011955@ > wrote:

thirunarayanan swamy iyengar <nanu_04011955@ >Re: Re: Cost of srardhamOppiliappanMonday, 15 December, 2008, 9:10 PM

k.r.narasimhan> Respected swamins,> I want to share a haunting thought of mine. I am a retired middle > class pensioner in Banglaore. For the past 3 or so years I find > things are becoming very costly for doing annual pitru srardhams. > The charges are like this: Rs.650 for Bruhaspathi + small coins > Rs.50, Rs.600 for 2 swmingals, Rs.700 for thaligai swami and the > provisions Rs. 600. Thus the total cost of a srardham is Rs.2600. I > have to do two per year and arrange for the srardham of my poor > sister who passed away. Many middle class bramins must be facing > this kind of music. Can any middle class person can afford such > costs? Whether any other people from other religion or even other > caste people would spend like this annually on remembering the > departed souls? Rs.500 if donated to an orphanate or oldage home > would feed atleast 25

mouths. Where is our sect heading towards. I > am sure that unless our sect wakes up and rationalise and regulate > these fleecing bruhaspathis, the whole custom of peforming such > rites would quickly vanish. It is time, our mutts start some > registered body where they should register these bruhaspahtis and > swamins and fix reasonable tariff also.> > adiyen > Kochappaa>

From Chandigarh to Chennai - find friends all over India.

Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Invite them now.

Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Invite them now.

Guest guest

FYI.

V.Sadagopan

-

thirunarayanan swamy iyengar

Oppiliappan

Thursday, December 25, 2008 11:11 AM

Re: Fw: Re: Cost of srardham

Respected swamy

Can I suggest one point here? I got a flash report in my mind.

A very good Adhyana bruhaspathy like NVS swamy can render help by way of

" Sandhai " as well as Srardha Prayogam also. Even thro' E-Bruhaspathy, the

sandhai class can be conducted including prayogam (Practical).

All the best for the swamy's endeavour.

Adiyen Ramanuja Dasan

S.THIRUNARAYANAN

I tried for this for the past eight years and failed to assemble interested

persons.

I started two groups one in - 'vadhyar' and another in google 'vaidhikam'.

Few joined as members, but no follow up responses from them.

I decided to drop this idea.

I could capture the idea behind people : " Katthundu ennahaporadhu? " ,

" Idha katthukkaradhukkaha, regulara time spend panna mudiyadhu " , " Kathunddalum

upayogathula illenna thirumbavum adhu marandhu poiyudum " .

So, many ideas and reasons are there behind this. But this eBruhaspathy is not

like that, people will spend time on that particular time, in addition, this

scheme will definitely reduce the time and tension of people in many way.

Because :

They are having the tie up with some Organization and not with an individual.

So, the appointment is assured for 100%.

They can fix the time to their preferences there will be no adjustment for

vadhyar's other appointments on that day.

There are possibilities to record the complete prayogam, which will be helpful

for karthas for next time, and at the same time, the quality and mantra prayogam

can not be compromised.

We are not compelling anybody to by multimedia computer to use this scheme, but

people who are already having the infrastructure and seeking for a bruhaspathy

can utilize this.

Now a days, we can not find few poor people who are not having a TV set. Later,

this will be applicable for computer also.

If we are not going to support a good thing in time, we and our heirs will be

the sufferer.

nvs