IndiaDivine.org

Karaka for Bones?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Mrs. Wendy Ji,

Your advise is been taken with due respect and thank you for the same.

I was just echoing what Manoj Ji has mentioned on the subject (Sun and Ego) and

the next statement was mine i.e Jupiter represents Ego, this was told and

discussed in my personal intraction(s) with some of the learned persons whom i

know.. Same quetion was put by me to him, If Sun does not represnt Ego then whom

(which planet) should we consider for Ego? his answer was it is Jupiter more so

adversly placed Jupiter he said. i forgot to mention this in my first response

to the subject.

In fact Difficult/Rigid/Arrogant people should be associated with Adversly

placed Jupiter..

Asked me to check and test it on as many charts as possible (Note: You know i am

more interested in Practical and Result based Astrology study. No doubt Theroy

and all Granthas like BHPS certainly halp and MUST be studied. But there and in

India traditionally taught i.e. Oral tradition Astrologers give more accurate

predictions then who mastered the BPHS. This i found myself and i am convinced)

In an argument there are many ways one can defend his/her view points. here i am

not arguing and i am not claiming that i am more Learned then the learned ones

on this group,then there's no question of me considering myself more learned

then Brighu Rishi.

But the argument continued i asked him how and on what basis you say that

Jupiter represents Ego? he gave one live example what we all experienced and

seen. When Jupiter was transiting his MT House just recently he told me in

general in mundane perspective, Every person WAS Optimistic Banks were making

Huge Profits(??) and everybody seemed happy(??) then what happened? we all know

the history.. He told me No doubt Jupiter is EXPANSSIVE, OPTIMISTIC.. But then

in the end it all boils down to Ego.. When the reality hits Ego vanishes.. so

where's the Sun here who transits one sign every month how you can say he

represents Ego?. You and everybody has the right to differ on this i don't have

any issues with that. I am just sharing what i have been told and asked to see

and did little study with my known charts. not just my chart alone:-)

This is what i found/learned at least from this GURU Ji that there's lot of

practical knowledge/application is needed then just bookish one.. at least for

me...:-)

Rest all your points are taken with due respect. Since i am still learning

Basics i have the right to question and subject to fail in my observations..

hope you agree with me on this:-)

Regards

Chandu2Chill

PS: Being an Optimistic is OK. But too much of Optimistic shows or at least

generates the Ego in the person anybody would like to discuss and share their

views? i am not going to ARGUE i will be a silent learner now:-)

jyotish-vidya , " Mrs. Wendy " <jyotishvidya wrote:

>

> Chandhu,

>

> I strongly advise you to put some serious effort into learning the basics

before making such erroneous statements.

>

> Most serious students, I'm sure, will be familiar with the works of Dr. David

Frawley... in particular " The Astrology of the Seers " from which I offer the

following:

>

> **The Sun is our sense of self and indicates our self-manifestation. On the

lower level, the Sun represents the ego. It shows our impulses towards power,

prestige, fame, authority and control etc..**

>

> After quoting from Rishi Bhrigu (Bhrigu Sutras) only yesterday, I find it

amazing that you can come out with such a contradictory statement. Do you

consider yourself more learned than the learned?

>

> My own guru Maharishi Mahesh Yogi (the greatest proponent of Vedic knowledge

in our time) has taught me that Sun signifies both the big Self (Atma/Soul) and

the small self (ego)... Do you set yourself up as an authority over these great

rishis??

>

> Mrs. Wendy

> http://JyotishVidya.com

> ________________________

>

>

>

>

>

> CP

> Tuesday, 29 December 2009 7:00 PM

> jyotish-vidya

> Re: Karaka for Bones?

>

>

>

>

> Dear Manoj Ji and All,

>

> Even as told by some learned scholars to me and with my limited understanding

We often blame SUN for EGO.. Which is NOT TRUE and i have observed and observing

still from many charts..

>

> It is JUPITER who represents EGO... Pls check Jup's postion especially in 3H i

found them More Egoistic person(s) in majority of charts..of course certainly

not in all charts

>

> Regards

>

> Chandu2Chill

>

>

>

>

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature

database 4724 (20091229) __________

>

> The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.

>

> http://www.eset.com

>

Dear Chandu,//If Sun does not represnt Ego then whom (which planet) should we consider for Ego?//

This looks like a hypothetical question to me. It is like asking if there was no water on earth then what would we all be drinking? Yes, in many places people drink beer like water. Probably then 'beer' is the answer to my question. 

Please note that I am not criticizing what you are saying. What I am try to highlight is that if you ask a wrong question you are likely to end up with a wrong answer. Please think about it.

Regards,Krishna

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 9:19 PM, CP <nanna_id2006 wrote:

Dear Mrs. Wendy Ji,

Your advise is been taken with due respect and thank you for the same.

I was just echoing what Manoj Ji has mentioned on the subject (Sun and Ego) and the next statement was mine i.e Jupiter represents Ego, this was told and discussed in my personal intraction(s) with some of the learned persons whom i know.. Same quetion was put by me to him, If Sun does not represnt Ego then whom (which planet) should we consider for Ego? his answer was it is Jupiter more so adversly placed Jupiter he said. i forgot to mention this in my first response to the subject.

In fact Difficult/Rigid/Arrogant people should be associated with Adversly placed Jupiter..

Asked me to check and test it on as many charts as possible (Note: You know i am more interested in Practical and Result based Astrology study. No doubt Theroy and all Granthas like BHPS certainly halp and MUST be studied. But there and in India traditionally taught i.e. Oral tradition Astrologers give more accurate predictions then who mastered the BPHS. This i found myself and i am convinced)

In an argument there are many ways one can defend his/her view points. here i am not arguing and i am not claiming that i am more Learned then the learned ones on this group,then there's no question of me considering myself more learned then Brighu Rishi.

But the argument continued i asked him how and on what basis you say that Jupiter represents Ego? he gave one live example what we all experienced and seen. When Jupiter was transiting his MT House just recently he told me in general in mundane perspective, Every person WAS Optimistic Banks were making Huge Profits(??) and everybody seemed happy(??) then what happened? we all know the history.. He told me No doubt Jupiter is EXPANSSIVE, OPTIMISTIC.. But then in the end it all boils down to Ego.. When the reality hits Ego vanishes.. so where's the Sun here who transits one sign every month how you can say he represents Ego?. You and everybody has the right to differ on this i don't have any issues with that. I am just sharing what i have been told and asked to see and did little study with my known charts. not just my chart alone:-)

This is what i found/learned at least from this GURU Ji that there's lot of practical knowledge/application is needed then just bookish one.. at least for me...:-)

Rest all your points are taken with due respect. Since i am still learning Basics i have the right to question and subject to fail in my observations.. hope you agree with me on this:-)

Regards

Chandu2Chill

PS: Being an Optimistic is OK. But too much of Optimistic shows or at least generates the Ego in the person anybody would like to discuss and share their views? i am not going to ARGUE i will be a silent learner now:-)

>

> Chandhu,

>

> I strongly advise you to put some serious effort into learning the basics before making such erroneous statements.

>

> Most serious students, I'm sure, will be familiar with the works of Dr. David Frawley... in particular " The Astrology of the Seers " from which I offer the following:

>

> **The Sun is our sense of self and indicates our self-manifestation. On the lower level, the Sun represents the ego. It shows our impulses towards power, prestige, fame, authority and control etc..**

>

> After quoting from Rishi Bhrigu (Bhrigu Sutras) only yesterday, I find it amazing that you can come out with such a contradictory statement. Do you consider yourself more learned than the learned?

>

> My own guru Maharishi Mahesh Yogi (the greatest proponent of Vedic knowledge in our time) has taught me that Sun signifies both the big Self (Atma/Soul) and the small self (ego)... Do you set yourself up as an authority over these great rishis??

>

> Mrs. Wendy

>

>

>

>

>

> CP

> Tuesday, 29 December 2009 7:00 PM

> jyotish-vidya

>

>

>

>

> Dear Manoj Ji and All,

>

> Even as told by some learned scholars to me and with my limited understanding We often blame SUN for EGO.. Which is NOT TRUE and i have observed and observing still from many charts..

>

> It is JUPITER who represents EGO... Pls check Jup's postion especially in 3H i found them More Egoistic person(s) in majority of charts..of course certainly not in all charts

>

> Regards

>

> Chandu2Chill

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4724 (20091229) __________

>

>

>

Dear Friends,

I just recollect Robert Lynd's"The Art of Repartee".probably v need to consider all wrongs as well as right and the syntax follows subsequently.Probably our Sun is behind all of us to guide and inspire.

Vattem Krishnan

Cyber Jyotish Services

(For all counseling services)

Dr.B.V.Raman"Fools Obey Planets While Wisemen Can Control Them"

Planets are neutral Controllers of Mans Karma

--- On Wed, 12/30/09, Krishnamurthy Seetharama <kmurthys58 wrote:

Krishnamurthy Seetharama <kmurthys58Re: Re: Karaka for Bones?jyotish-vidya Date: Wednesday, December 30, 2009, 12:16 AM

Dear Chandu,

//If Sun does not represnt Ego then whom (which planet) should we consider for Ego?//

This looks like a hypothetical question to me. It is like asking if there was no water on earth then what would we all be drinking? Yes, in many places people drink beer like water. Probably then 'beer' is the answer to my question.

Please note that I am not criticizing what you are saying. What I am try to highlight is that if you ask a wrong question you are likely to end up with a wrong answer. Please think about it.

Regards,Krishna

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 9:19 PM, CP <nanna_id2006@ > wrote:

Dear Mrs. Wendy Ji,Your advise is been taken with due respect and thank you for the same.I was just echoing what Manoj Ji has mentioned on the subject (Sun and Ego) and the next statement was mine i.e Jupiter represents Ego, this was told and discussed in my personal intraction(s) with some of the learned persons whom i know.. Same quetion was put by me to him, If Sun does not represnt Ego then whom (which planet) should we consider for Ego? his answer was it is Jupiter more so adversly placed Jupiter he said. i forgot to mention this in my first response to the subject. In fact Difficult/Rigid/ Arrogant people should be associated with Adversly placed Jupiter..Asked me to check and test it on as many charts as possible (Note: You know i am more interested in Practical and Result based Astrology study. No doubt Theroy and all Granthas like BHPS certainly halp and MUST be studied. But there and in India traditionally

taught i.e. Oral tradition Astrologers give more accurate predictions then who mastered the BPHS. This i found myself and i am convinced) In an argument there are many ways one can defend his/her view points. here i am not arguing and i am not claiming that i am more Learned then the learned ones on this group,then there's no question of me considering myself more learned then Brighu Rishi.But the argument continued i asked him how and on what basis you say that Jupiter represents Ego? he gave one live example what we all experienced and seen. When Jupiter was transiting his MT House just recently he told me in general in mundane perspective, Every person WAS Optimistic Banks were making Huge Profits(??) and everybody seemed happy(??) then what happened? we all know the history.. He told me No doubt Jupiter is EXPANSSIVE, OPTIMISTIC.. But then in the end it all boils down to Ego.. When the reality hits Ego vanishes.. so where's the Sun

here who transits one sign every month how you can say he represents Ego?. You and everybody has the right to differ on this i don't have any issues with that. I am just sharing what i have been told and asked to see and did little study with my known charts. not just my chart alone:-) This is what i found/learned at least from this GURU Ji that there's lot of practical knowledge/applicati on is needed then just bookish one.. at least for me...:-)Rest all your points are taken with due respect. Since i am still learning Basics i have the right to question and subject to fail in my observations. . hope you agree with me on this:-)RegardsChandu2ChillPS: Being an Optimistic is OK. But too much of Optimistic shows or at least generates the Ego in the person anybody would like to discuss and share their views? i am not going to ARGUE i will be a silent learner now:-)

jyotish-vidya, "Mrs. Wendy" <jyotishvidya@ ...> wrote:>> Chandhu,> > I strongly advise you to put some serious effort into learning the basics before making such erroneous statements.> > Most serious students, I'm sure, will be familiar with the works of Dr. David Frawley... in particular "The Astrology of the Seers" from which I offer the following:> > **The Sun is our sense of self and indicates our self-manifestation. On the lower level, the Sun represents the ego. It shows our impulses towards power, prestige, fame, authority and control etc..**> > After quoting from Rishi Bhrigu (Bhrigu Sutras) only yesterday, I find it amazing that you can come out with such a

contradictory statement. Do you consider yourself more learned than the learned?> > My own guru Maharishi Mahesh Yogi (the greatest proponent of Vedic knowledge in our time) has taught me that Sun signifies both the big Self (Atma/Soul) and the small self (ego)... Do you set yourself up as an authority over these great rishis??> > Mrs. Wendy> http://JyotishVidya .com> ____________ _________ ___> > > > > > CP > Tuesday, 29 December 2009 7:00 PM> jyotish-vidya > Re: Karaka for Bones?> > > > > Dear Manoj Ji and All,> >

Even as told by some learned scholars to me and with my limited understanding We often blame SUN for EGO.. Which is NOT TRUE and i have observed and observing still from many charts..> > It is JUPITER who represents EGO... Pls check Jup's postion especially in 3H i found them More Egoistic person(s) in majority of charts..of course certainly not in all charts> > Regards> > Chandu2Chill> > > > > > > > > > > __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4724 (20091229) __________> > The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.> > http://www.eset. com>

Dear Manoj,

///I was told by a Jyotish who is also a Sanskrit scholar that there is no reference in the Classics to suggest that Surya represents "Ahamkara" (Ego) but the references are only to the "Atma" (Soul). I am not a Sanskrit scholar so I cannot vouch for this.///

As I'm sure you already know, when speaking of the qualities needed for an astrologer, Parasara speaks of the need for skilful logic in estimation.

In the below sloka the great sage first states that lagna denotes the soul (and) self. He then goes on to list the significator of lagna as Sun. One doesn't have to be Einstein to deduce (skilful logic) that what applies to lagna applies equally to lagnakaraka.

BPHS Ch.32 http://jyotishvidya.com/ch32.htm

**31-34. HOUSE SIGNIFICANCE:

I now narrate the significance of the houses. The first house denotes the soul (and self), the 2nd house wife, the 11th preborn, the 3rd younger brother/sisters, the 5th progeny, and the 7th house wife. It is also said that a planet in the 5th becomes a karaka for wife. The significators of the house in order are: the Sun, Jupiter, Mars, the Moon, Jupiter, Mars, Venus, Saturn, Jupiter, Mercury, Jupiter, and Saturn.**

I would suggest therefore that your jyotish friend is incorrect in his assumption that there is no reference in the classics to suggest that Sun represents ego (self), wouldn't you agree?

Best Wishes,Mrs. Wendyhttp://JyotishVidya.com________________________

Manoj Chandran

Sunday, 27 December 2009 10:51 PM

jyotish-vidya

Re: Karaka for Bones?

Dear Mrs Wendy,I was told by a Jyotish who is also a Sanskrit scholar that there is no reference in the Classics to suggest that Surya represents "Ahamkara" (Ego) but the references are only to the "Atma" (Soul). I am not a Sanskrit scholar so I cannot vouch for this.On a practical level it may not make any difference (because we rarely refer to the Ego), may only be a theoritical argument. Regards, -Manoj ________________________________

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4728 (20091230) __________

The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.

http://www.eset.com

Dear Krishna,

Without water there can be no beer - without Sun there can be no self (identity/ego).

Krishnamurthy Seetharama

Wednesday, 30 December 2009 1:16 PM

jyotish-vidya

Re: Re: Karaka for Bones?

Dear Chandu,

//If Sun does not represnt Ego then whom (which planet) should we consider for Ego?//

Regards,Krishna

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4728 (20091230) __________

Well said Mrs. Wendy!Regards,Krishna

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Mrs. Wendy <jyotishvidya wrote:

Dear Krishna,

Without water there can be no beer - without Sun there can be no self (identity/ego).

Krishnamurthy Seetharama

Wednesday, 30 December 2009 1:16 PM

jyotish-vidya

Re: Re: Karaka for Bones?

Dear Chandu,

Regards,Krishna

Dear Mrs Wendy,

You are 100% correct. You have demonstrated beyong a reasonable doubt that my friend was incorrect (through BPHS and Bhrigu Sastras). Thank you for taking the time for the detailed explanations. Hopefully my question proved beneficial for all members.

Regards,

-Manoj

Mrs. Wendy <jyotishvidyajyotish-vidya Sent: Wed, December 30, 2009 5:32:19 AMRe: Karaka for Bones?

Dear Manoj,

///I was told by a Jyotish who is also a Sanskrit scholar that there is no reference in the Classics to suggest that Surya represents "Ahamkara" (Ego) but the references are only to the "Atma" (Soul). I am not a Sanskrit scholar so I cannot vouch for this.///

As I'm sure you already know, when speaking of the qualities needed for an astrologer, Parasara speaks of the need for skilful logic in estimation.

In the below sloka the great sage first states that lagna denotes the soul (and) self. He then goes on to list the significator of lagna as Sun. One doesn't have to be Einstein to deduce (skilful logic) that what applies to lagna applies equally to lagnakaraka.

BPHS Ch.32 http://jyotishvidya .com/ch32. htm

**31-34. HOUSE SIGNIFICANCE:

I now narrate the significance of the houses. The first house denotes the soul (and self), the 2nd house wife, the 11th preborn, the 3rd younger brother/sisters, the 5th progeny, and the 7th house wife. It is also said that a planet in the 5th becomes a karaka for wife. The significators of the house in order are: the Sun, Jupiter, Mars, the Moon, Jupiter, Mars, Venus, Saturn, Jupiter, Mercury, Jupiter, and Saturn.**

I would suggest therefore that your jyotish friend is incorrect in his assumption that there is no reference in the classics to suggest that Sun represents ego (self), wouldn't you agree?

Best Wishes,Mrs. Wendyhttp://JyotishVidya.com____________ _________ ___

Manoj Chandran

Sunday, 27 December 2009 10:51 PM

jyotish-vidya

Dear Mrs Wendy,I was told by a Jyotish who is also a Sanskrit scholar that there is no reference in the Classics to suggest that Surya represents "Ahamkara" (Ego) but the references are only to the "Atma" (Soul). I am not a Sanskrit scholar so I cannot vouch for this.On a practical level it may not make any difference (because we rarely refer to the Ego), may only be a theoritical argument. Regards, -Manoj ____________ _________ _________ __

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4728 (20091230) __________The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.http://www.eset. com

Dear Manoj,And I thank you for your response :-)You're absolutely correct that members benefit from such discussions.Best Wishes,Mrs. Wendyhttp://JyotishVidya.com________________________Manoj Chandran Wednesday, 30 December 2009 10:46 PMjyotish-vidya Re: Karaka for Bones? Dear Mrs Wendy, You are 100% correct. You have demonstrated beyong a reasonable doubt that my friend was incorrect (through BPHS and Bhrigu Sastras). Thank you for taking the time for the detailed explanations. Hopefully my question proved beneficial for all members. Regards, -Manoj

Dear Friends,

I have no doubt that Sun represents " Bones " , " Soul " and " Ego " .

It is quite interesting to know one of the astrological treatise goes by the

name " Saravali " of " Kalyana Varma " says " Rahu represents Ego " .

I have a copy of the book which was translated and annotated by R. Santhanam,

published by Ranjan Publications in 1991 (Second Edition).

In Chapter 4, Planetary Characters - in the second line of the first sloka

mentions this: (Page No.37) " madashca Rahu " : R. Santhanam translates this word

as Ego.

Regards, C.S. Ravindramani.

PS: I am not having my Sanskrit Dictionary (VS Apte) readily available with me.

(This is just for the information of members those who can locate the word and

see the exact meaning). I spent an hour on Internet to locate this word but

could not succeed.

>

> Dear Manoj,

>

> And I thank you for your response :-)

>

> You're absolutely correct that members benefit from such discussions.

>

> Best Wishes,

> Mrs. Wendy

>

>

>

> Manoj Chandran

> Wednesday, 30 December 2009 10:46 PM

> jyotish-vidya

>

>

>

> Dear Mrs Wendy,

>

> You are 100% correct. You have demonstrated beyong a reasonable doubt that my

friend was incorrect (through BPHS and Bhrigu Sastras). Thank you for taking the

time for the detailed explanations. Hopefully my question proved beneficial for

all members.

>

> Regards,

> -Manoj

Dear Ravindramani,

Your input is appreciated. However I await more detail when you have your Sanskrit Dictionary available. Unfortunately we can often run into difficulties in regards to translations giving vague or incorrect meaning. The problem being, I assume, that several interpretations are possible.

Another example of this is the sloka I presented earlier (BPHS Ch.32: 31-34) where 2nd house is said to signify wife...again the translator is R. Santhanam.

ravindramani

Thursday, 31 December 2009 1:08 AM

jyotish-vidya

Dear Friends,I have no doubt that Sun represents "Bones", "Soul" and "Ego". It is quite interesting to know one of the astrological treatise goes by the name "Saravali" of "Kalyana Varma" says "Rahu represents Ego". I have a copy of the book which was translated and annotated by R. Santhanam, published by Ranjan Publications in 1991 (Second Edition). In Chapter 4, Planetary Characters - in the second line of the first sloka mentions this: (Page No.37) "madashca Rahu": R. Santhanam translates this word as Ego.Regards, C.S. Ravindramani. PS: I am not having my Sanskrit Dictionary (VS Apte) readily available with me. (This is just for the information of members those who can locate the word and see the exact meaning). I spent an hour on Internet to locate this word but could not succeed.

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4730 (20091230) __________

Dear Mrs Wendy/Ravindramani ji,//The problem being, I assume, that several interpretations are possible.//yes specially sanskrit/english.Though i am not good in sanskrit i know that it was said in indian phylosophy that there are six obstacles for spiritual progress which are called"ari-shdvargas" in sanskrit.Ari means enemy and shadvargas means six components.1.kaama(sexualdesire)2.krodha(anger)3.Lobha(tight fisted)4.Moha(lust),5.Mada(arrogance)6.Maatsarya(jealous).The 5th one is" mada" which means arrogance but not egoaccording to my knowledge.Love and regards,gopi.jyotish-vidya , "Mrs. Wendy" <jyotishvidya wrote:>> Dear Ravindramani,> > Your input is appreciated. However I await more detail when you have your Sanskrit Dictionary available. Unfortunately we can often run into difficulties in regards to translations giving vague or incorrect meaning. The problem being, I assume, that several interpretations are possible.> > Another example of this is the sloka I presented earlier (BPHS Ch.32: 31-34) where 2nd house is said to signify wife...again the translator is R. Santhanam.> > Best Wishes,> Mrs. Wendy> http://JyotishVidya.com> ________________________> > > > ravindramani > Thursday, 31 December 2009 1:08 AM> jyotish-vidya > Re: Karaka for Bones?> > > > > Dear Friends,> > I have no doubt that Sun represents "Bones", "Soul" and "Ego". > > It is quite interesting to know one of the astrological treatise goes by the name "Saravali" of "Kalyana Varma" says "Rahu represents Ego". > > I have a copy of the book which was translated and annotated by R. Santhanam, published by Ranjan Publications in 1991 (Second Edition). > > In Chapter 4, Planetary Characters - in the second line of the first sloka mentions this: (Page No.37) "madashca Rahu": R. Santhanam translates this word as Ego.> > Regards, C.S. Ravindramani. > > PS: I am not having my Sanskrit Dictionary (VS Apte) readily available with me. (This is just for the information of members those who can locate the word and see the exact meaning). I spent an hour on Internet to locate this word but could not succeed. > > > > > > > __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4730 (20091230) __________> > The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.> > http://www.eset.com>

Dear Ravindramani,What I feel is there is substantial difference between identity/meaning and mada/ego. The problem is the lack of proper translation and choice of words in English. Mada is one of the shadripus and rightly attributed to a tamasik planet Rahu. Where as the Sun is a satvik planet. He gives identity to any entity and does not induce mada. This is my understanding.

Regards,Krishna

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 10:38 PM, ravindramani <ravindramani wrote:

Dear Friends,

I have no doubt that Sun represents " Bones " , " Soul " and " Ego " .

It is quite interesting to know one of the astrological treatise goes by the name " Saravali " of " Kalyana Varma " says " Rahu represents Ego " .

I have a copy of the book which was translated and annotated by R. Santhanam, published by Ranjan Publications in 1991 (Second Edition).

In Chapter 4, Planetary Characters - in the second line of the first sloka mentions this: (Page No.37) " madashca Rahu " : R. Santhanam translates this word as Ego.

PS: I am not having my Sanskrit Dictionary (VS Apte) readily available with me. (This is just for the information of members those who can locate the word and see the exact meaning). I spent an hour on Internet to locate this word but could not succeed.

>

> Dear Manoj,

>

> And I thank you for your response :-)

>

> You're absolutely correct that members benefit from such discussions.

>

> Best Wishes,

> Mrs. Wendy

>

>

>

> Manoj Chandran

> Wednesday, 30 December 2009 10:46 PM

> jyotish-vidya

>

>

>

> Dear Mrs Wendy,

>

> You are 100% correct. You have demonstrated beyong a reasonable doubt that my friend was incorrect (through BPHS and Bhrigu Sastras). Thank you for taking the time for the detailed explanations. Hopefully my question proved beneficial for all members.

>

> Regards,

> -Manoj

Friends,

Honestly, I am not an expert in sanskrit.  I can read and write and has an elementary knowledge and use the sanskrit dictionary for my limited purpose.

The root word is " mada " .     means " and " .    In Sanskrit each word has a couple of meanings.   From it, the word derivates " madash " .   The point at issue is to find out the meaning of the word " madash "

For example, the word " mada " means " intoxication " .  The same word " mada " has a number of meanings viz.

" मद [ mád-a ] m. hilarity, exhilaration, rapture, intoxication; passion for (--°ree;); wantonness, lust; rut; pride, arrogance, presump tion, conceit (of, about, g. or --°ree;); intoxicating draught; honey; temple-juice of elephants. "

The practical problem is the on line dictionaries are not containing all the words.  I lent my dictionary some time ago to somebody and  I enquire all my friends about the same since yesterday.  I am not able to find out who borrowed it from me so far.

I have my own reservations about Shri R. Santhanam and his techniques and his translations and I dont wish to express it openly.   I agree, there are very few astrologers who are very well versed in astrology and possessing the knowledge of Sanskrit  as well as Englihs i.e. (versatile knowledge of translating Sanskrit slokas in English).

I was not able to suppress my temptation when I have a book and the mention about Rahu being " Ego " in it and as I come across it.  I have no other intention to confuse the members. 

Dear Shri C S Ravindramani Ji,

Namaste!

// " madashca Rahu " ://

//In Chapter 4, Planetary Characters - in the second line of the first sloka

mentions this: (Page No.37) " madashca Rahu " : R. Santhanam translates this word

as Ego.//

In my humble opinion and with my Rudimentary knowledge of Sanskrit above

translation is WRONG... the word *Mada* *Madascha* has nothing do with Ego

Mada means a drunken person having his mindless mood or not knowing himself what

he is doing. He is full of Mada like in our Kannada language it is clearly

mentioned, i am unable to find suitable English word for this at this point of

time i will try and post..But hope i am able to convey what *Mada* means.

meanwhile other members may put their views..

In other forum earlier we had some discussion about the Word *Cheda* some

learned person(s) arguing it is the HOLE But it's actual meaning is CUT not the

HOLE, *ShiraCheda* means Cutting one's head. Like wise there are lot of

Interpretation Errors in BPHS translations available in the market. I am still

learning and yet to complete BPHS But i am saying what i found is correct after

studying and discussing with experienced and learned people out there.. You may

differ on this

Regards

Chandu2Chill

jyotish-vidya , " ravindramani " <ravindramani wrote:

>

>

>

> Dear Friends,

>

> I have no doubt that Sun represents " Bones " , " Soul " and " Ego " .

>

> It is quite interesting to know one of the astrological treatise goes by the

name " Saravali " of " Kalyana Varma " says " Rahu represents Ego " .

>

> I have a copy of the book which was translated and annotated by R. Santhanam,

published by Ranjan Publications in 1991 (Second Edition).

>

In Chapter 4, Planetary Characters - in the second line of the first sloka

as Ego.

>

> Regards, C.S. Ravindramani.

>

> PS: I am not having my Sanskrit Dictionary (VS Apte) readily available with

me. (This is just for the information of members those who can locate the word

and see the exact meaning). I spent an hour on Internet to locate this word but

could not succeed.

>

>

>

> jyotish-vidya , " Mrs. Wendy " <jyotishvidya@> wrote:

> >

> > Dear Manoj,

> >

> > And I thank you for your response :-)

> >

> > You're absolutely correct that members benefit from such discussions.

> >

> > Best Wishes,

> > Mrs. Wendy

> > http://JyotishVidya.com

> > ________________________

> >

> >

> >

> > Manoj Chandran

> > Wednesday, 30 December 2009 10:46 PM

> > jyotish-vidya

> > Re: Karaka for Bones?

> >

> >

> >

> > Dear Mrs Wendy,

> >

> > You are 100% correct. You have demonstrated beyong a reasonable doubt that

my friend was incorrect (through BPHS and Bhrigu Sastras). Thank you for taking

the time for the detailed explanations. Hopefully my question proved beneficial

for all members.

> >

> > Regards,

> > -Manoj

>

Namasthe,

Thanks dear chandu2chill.  I hope you must have gone through my earlier mail in this regard posted today by me in response to Gopi and Krishna.  I am not telling what he (R. Santhanam) translated is right.  Again, my intention is just to brought to the notice of the members there is a different view (whether it is right or wrong which is available in print) is available.

I agree the word " Chedanam " means cutting. (Pali language)  Shir = Head, and Shira Chedanam = cutting of one's head.  I do not have any valid reason why I should differ on this.

Even in Tamil " Chirachedam "   = cutting of one's Head

Another meaning of " Chedanam " = waste or expense: " dhanachedanam " = waste of money.

PS:  Just now I was going through the Uttara Kalamrita by Kalidasa, and this title is made available in market by Ranjan Publications, 2001 Edition, (Text with Translation, Notes and Illustrations by Prof. P.S. Sastri, M.A., M.Litt., Ph.D., D.Litt.)

In the above said book, in Chapter V, Significators and Significations of Planets and Houses, in page 37,  one of the significations attributed to Rahu is " Bones " . (Signification no.15)

This is for them those who want burn their midnight oil.  I dont know how the learned members take this.....

==========================================================

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 9:32 PM, CP <nanna_id2006 wrote:

Dear Shri C S Ravindramani Ji,Namaste!// " madashca Rahu " :////In Chapter 4, Planetary Characters - in the second line of the first sloka mentions this: (Page No.37) " madashca Rahu " : R. Santhanam translates this word as Ego.//

In my humble opinion and with my Rudimentary knowledge of Sanskrit above translation is WRONG... the word *Mada* *Madascha* has nothing do with Ego Mada means a drunken person having his mindless mood or not knowing himself what he is doing. He is full of Mada like in our Kannada language it is clearly mentioned, i am unable to find suitable English word for this at this point of time i will try and post..But hope i am able to convey what *Mada* means. meanwhile other members may put their views..

In other forum earlier we had some discussion about the Word *Cheda* some learned person(s) arguing it is the HOLE But it's actual meaning is CUT not the HOLE, *ShiraCheda* means Cutting one's head. Like wise there are lot of Interpretation Errors in BPHS translations available in the market. I am still learning and yet to complete BPHS But i am saying what i found is correct after studying and discussing with experienced and learned people out there.. You may differ on this

RegardsChandu2Chill  

Sir,

A very useful and economic edition M/S Motilal Banarsi Das dictionary fro day today use is good.

Rahu referring to "mada "is a state of drunken state.

Vattem Krishnan

Cyber Jyotish Services

--- On Thu, 12/31/09, C.S. Ravindramani <ravindramani wrote:

C.S. Ravindramani <ravindramaniRe: Re: Karaka for Bones?jyotish-vidya Date: Thursday, December 31, 2009, 9:08 AM

Friends,

Those who want to use a fairly good Sanskrit Dictionary on line is :

http://dsal. uchicago. edu/cgi-bin/ romadict. pl?table= macdonell & page=117 & display=utf8Regards, C.S. Ravindramani

Dear Chandu and All,

///Mada means a drunken person having his mindless mood or not knowing himself what he is doing.///

This certainly fits with the significations of Rahu found in most authentic texts and indeed with what I myself have been taught...given here in detail for the benefit of students http://www.jyotishvidya.com/planets.htm

Drugs i.e. intoxication/drunkenness (and addiction) are specifically mentioned...

Although I'm a strong advocate of the classic texts, I'm well aware of the need for discrimination in light of possible errors with translation. What it boils down to is having a clear understanding of the 'essence' of the grahas/bhavas...without which we can find ourselves in very muddy waters.

Knowing many slokas verbatim doesn't necessarily equate to knowing jyotish. Much In the same way as knowing the Bible from cover to cover doesn't necessarily equate to knowing the truth of Christ...without the essence all we have is words!

CP

Friday, 1 January 2010 12:02 AM

jyotish-vidya

Dear Shri C S Ravindramani Ji,Namaste!//"madashca Rahu":////In Chapter 4, Planetary Characters - in the second line of the first sloka mentions this: (Page No.37) "madashca Rahu": R. Santhanam translates this word as Ego.//In my humble opinion and with my Rudimentary knowledge of Sanskrit above translation is WRONG... the word *Mada* *Madascha* has nothing do with Ego Mada means a drunken person having his mindless mood or not knowing himself what he is doing. He is full of Mada like in our Kannada language it is clearly mentioned, i am unable to find suitable English word for this at this point of time i will try and post..But hope i am able to convey what *Mada* means. meanwhile other members may put their views..In other forum earlier we had some discussion about the Word *Cheda* some learned person(s) arguing it is the HOLE But it's actual meaning is CUT not the HOLE, *ShiraCheda* means Cutting one's head. Like wise there are lot of Interpretation Errors in BPHS translations available in the market. I am still learning and yet to complete BPHS But i am saying what i found is correct after studying and discussing with experienced and learned people out there.. You may differ on this RegardsChandu2Chill

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4733 (20091231) __________

Dear Mrs. Wendy Ji,

I agree with you on your below comments:-)

WISH YOU AND ALL MEMBERS OF JV, A VERY HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR 2010!!

Best regards

Chandu

>

> Dear Chandu and All,

>

> ///Mada means a drunken person having his mindless mood or not knowing himself

what he is doing.///

>

> This certainly fits with the significations of Rahu found in most authentic

texts and indeed with what I myself have been taught...given here in detail for

the benefit of students http://www.jyotishvidya.com/planets.htm

> Drugs i.e. intoxication/drunkenness (and addiction) are specifically

mentioned...

>

> Although I'm a strong advocate of the classic texts, I'm well aware of the

need for discrimination in light of possible errors with translation. What it

boils down to is having a clear understanding of the 'essence' of the

grahas/bhavas...without which we can find ourselves in very muddy waters.

>

> Knowing many slokas verbatim doesn't necessarily equate to knowing jyotish.

Much In the same way as knowing the Bible from cover to cover doesn't

necessarily equate to knowing the truth of Christ...without the essence all we

have is words!

>

> Best Wishes,

> Mrs. Wendy

>

>

>

> CP

> Friday, 1 January 2010 12:02 AM

> jyotish-vidya

>

>

>

> Dear Shri C S Ravindramani Ji,

>

> Namaste!

>

> // " madashca Rahu " ://

>

> //In Chapter 4, Planetary Characters - in the second line of the first sloka

as Ego.//

>

> In my humble opinion and with my Rudimentary knowledge of Sanskrit above

translation is WRONG... the word *Mada* *Madascha* has nothing do with Ego

>

> Mada means a drunken person having his mindless mood or not knowing himself

what he is doing. He is full of Mada like in our Kannada language it is clearly

mentioned, i am unable to find suitable English word for this at this point of

time i will try and post..But hope i am able to convey what *Mada* means.

meanwhile other members may put their views..

>

> In other forum earlier we had some discussion about the Word *Cheda* some

learned person(s) arguing it is the HOLE But it's actual meaning is CUT not the

HOLE, *ShiraCheda* means Cutting one's head. Like wise there are lot of

Interpretation Errors in BPHS translations available in the market. I am still

learning and yet to complete BPHS But i am saying what i found is correct after

studying and discussing with experienced and learned people out there.. You may

differ on this

>

> Regards

>

> Chandu2Chill

>

>

>

>

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature

database 4733 (20091231) __________

>

>

>

dear friends,

Of the eloberate description give about rahu,words //l for "madscha' could be found in insanity,addiction.

slightly this defers from original meaning derived from sanskrit.

Vattem Krishnan

Cyber Jyotish Services

--- On Fri, 1/1/10, Mrs. Wendy <jyotishvidya wrote:

Mrs. Wendy <jyotishvidyaRe: Re: Karaka for Bones?jyotish-vidya Date: Friday, January 1, 2010, 12:12 AM

Dear Chandu and All,

///Mada means a drunken person having his mindless mood or not knowing himself what he is doing.///

This certainly fits with the significations of Rahu found in most authentic texts and indeed with what I myself have been taught...given here in detail for the benefit of students http://www.jyotishv idya.com/ planets.htm

Drugs i.e. intoxication/ drunkenness (and addiction) are specifically mentioned...

Although I'm a strong advocate of the classic texts, I'm well aware of the need for discrimination in light of possible errors with translation. What it boils down to is having a clear understanding of the 'essence' of the grahas/bhavas. ..without which we can find ourselves in very muddy waters.

Knowing many slokas verbatim doesn't necessarily equate to knowing jyotish. Much In the same way as knowing the Bible from cover to cover doesn't necessarily equate to knowing the truth of Christ...without the essence all we have is words!

Best Wishes,Mrs. Wendyhttp://JyotishVidya .com____________ _________ ___

CP

Friday, 1 January 2010 12:02 AM

jyotish-vidya

Dear Shri C S Ravindramani Ji,Namaste!//"madashca Rahu":////In Chapter 4, Planetary Characters - in the second line of the first sloka mentions this: (Page No.37) "madashca Rahu": R. Santhanam translates this word as Ego.//In my humble opinion and with my Rudimentary knowledge of Sanskrit above translation is WRONG... the word *Mada* *Madascha* has nothing do with Ego Mada means a drunken person having his mindless mood or not knowing himself what he is doing. He is full of Mada like in our Kannada language it is clearly mentioned, i am unable to find suitable English word for this at this point of time i will try and post...But hope i am able to convey what *Mada* means. meanwhile other members may put their views..In other forum earlier we had some discussion about the Word *Cheda* some learned person(s) arguing it is the HOLE But it's actual meaning is CUT not the HOLE, *ShiraCheda* means Cutting

one's head. Like wise there are lot of Interpretation Errors in BPHS translations available in the market. I am still learning and yet to complete BPHS But i am saying what i found is correct after studying and discussing with experienced and learned people out there.. You may differ on this RegardsChandu2Chill

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4733 (20091231) __________The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.http://www.eset. com

Dear Mrs Wendy,//Knowing many slokas verbatim doesn't necessarily equate to knowing jyotish. Much In the same way as knowing the Bible from cover to cover doesn't necessarily equate to knowing the truth of Christ...without the essence all we have is words!//Yes,it is true to the core.These days only WORDS are flowing and also floating!!!Warm regards,gopi.jyotish-vidya , "Mrs. Wendy" <jyotishvidya wrote:>> Dear Chandu and All,> > ///Mada means a drunken person having his mindless mood or not knowing himself what he is doing.///> > This certainly fits with the significations of Rahu found in most authentic texts and indeed with what I myself have been taught...given here in detail for the benefit of students http://www.jyotishvidya.com/planets.htm> Drugs i.e. intoxication/drunkenness (and addiction) are specifically mentioned...> > Although I'm a strong advocate of the classic texts, I'm well aware of the need for discrimination in light of possible errors with translation. What it boils down to is having a clear understanding of the 'essence' of the grahas/bhavas...without which we can find ourselves in very muddy waters.> > Knowing many slokas verbatim doesn't necessarily equate to knowing jyotish. Much In the same way as knowing the Bible from cover to cover doesn't necessarily equate to knowing the truth of Christ...without the essence all we have is words!> > Best Wishes,> Mrs. Wendy> http://JyotishVidya.com> ________________________> > > > CP > Friday, 1 January 2010 12:02 AM> jyotish-vidya > Re: Karaka for Bones?> > > > Dear Shri C S Ravindramani Ji,> > Namaste!> > //"madashca Rahu"://> > //In Chapter 4, Planetary Characters - in the second line of the first sloka mentions this: (Page No.37) "madashca Rahu": R. Santhanam translates this word as Ego.//> > In my humble opinion and with my Rudimentary knowledge of Sanskrit above translation is WRONG... the word *Mada* *Madascha* has nothing do with Ego > > Mada means a drunken person having his mindless mood or not knowing himself what he is doing. He is full of Mada like in our Kannada language it is clearly mentioned, i am unable to find suitable English word for this at this point of time i will try and post..But hope i am able to convey what *Mada* means. meanwhile other members may put their views..> > In other forum earlier we had some discussion about the Word *Cheda* some learned person(s) arguing it is the HOLE But it's actual meaning is CUT not the HOLE, *ShiraCheda* means Cutting one's head. Like wise there are lot of Interpretation Errors in BPHS translations available in the market. I am still learning and yet to complete BPHS But i am saying what i found is correct after studying and discussing with experienced and learned people out there.. You may differ on this > > Regards> > Chandu2Chill> > > > > > > > > > > __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4733 (20091231) __________> > The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.> > http://www.eset.com>