IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Thulasi

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hari Om !

Understand from a close-to-me-source that " Tulasi " can be taken for pooja even after it is used on the previous day for pooja by washing them.  Secondly also understand that Tulasi removed from plant can be used after three days (i.e. 3 days after they are plucked)   which is not possible as regards to other flowers.  Can anyone throw light on this subject?

-- Best regardsJayasree MenonBangalore+9900149461my blog link: http://www.pythrukam.blogspot.com/--

A well-thought out plan, execution excellence, market timing, personal leadership are drivers of the growth   trajectory.

Guest guest

Tulasi Worship

Tulasi plants and

their leaves are very important in devotional service. Devotees are

recommended to water the Tulasi tree every day and collect the leaves

to worship the Lord. (Srila Prabhupada, SB 3.15.19p)

Why devotees worship Tulasi

Tulasi gets its name from Srimati Tulasi-devi, one of Lord Krishna’s

dearmost eternal consorts, a pure devotee in the form of a gopi, who lives in the spiritual world. The Tulasi plant is a manifestation or expansion of her.

Because

Tulasi is so dear to Krishna, one gains all kinds of benefits by

worshiping her. By attaining her mercy, one can more quickly make

spiritual advancement and gain entrance into the spiritual world.

The glories of Tulasi

“There is no better recipient of charity than a vipra, no better gift than cows, no better tirtha than

the Ganga, and no better leaf than a Tulasi leaf. Whatever one can

obtain by offering the Lord all types of flowers and leaves may be

attained by simply offering Him one Tulasi leaf. An offering of flowers

made of gold, jewels, and pearls is not equal to an offering of Tulasi

leaves.”

“Let me offer my respectful obeisances unto

the Tulasi tree, which can immediately vanquish volumes of sinful

activities. Simply by seeing or touching this tree, one can become

relieved from all distresses and diseases. Simply by offering

obeisances and pouring water on the Tulasi tree, one can become freed

from the fear of being sent to the court of Yamaraja. If someone sows a

Tulasi tree somewhere, certainly he becomes devoted to Lord Krishna.

And when the Tulasi leaves are offered in devotion at the lotus feet of

Krishna, there is the full development of love of Godhead.” (Skanda Purana, quoted by Srila Rupa Gosvami)

The worship of Lord Narayana is not complete without Tulasi leaves.

Tulasi must be offered to Vishnu-tattva only.

How to worship Tulasi

Tulasi-puja is relatively simple, consisting of only three articles:

incense, a ghee lamp, and flowers. Sooner or later, you will probably

get an opportunity to offer puja to Tulasi, so here are the steps that you need to know:

Acamana (purification)

Take the spoon from the acamana cup and purify both hands by sprinkling water onto them.A spoon full into your right palm, chant om keshavaya namah, and sip.A spoon full into your right palm, chant om narayanaya namah, and sip.

A spoon full into your right palm, chant om madhavaya namah, and sip.

Offering the incense

Purify (sprinkle with a spoon full of water) the bell and the incense holder.Light the incense.Pick up the bell in the left hand; ring the bell throughout the puja.Pick up the incense holder in the right hand and offer the incense to Tulasi with seven circles around her whole form.

Offer to Srila Prabhupada and then all the devotees.

Offering the ghee lamp

Purify the ghee lamp.Light it.Offer it to Tulasi: four circles to the base, two to the middle, three to the top, and seven to the whole.Offer to Srila Prabhupada and then all the devotees.

Offering the Flowers

Purify the flowers.Offer them to Tulasi with seven circles to the whole form.Place one at her base (optional).Offer them Srila Prabhupada and then all the devotees.Now the puja is complete and you can serve the devotees by assisting them to purify their hands before watering Tulasi.

Planting, watering, protecting,

maintaining, circumambulating, seeing, bowing down to, praying to, and

glorifying are all ways of serving and worshiping Tulasi and are highly

beneficial.

Shri Tulasi Pradaksina Mantra

yani kani ca papani

brahma-hatyadikani ca

tani tani pranasyanti

pradaksinah pade pade

Translation:

" By the circumambulation of Srimati Tulasi Devi all the sins that one

may have committed are destroyed at every step, even the sin of killing

a brahmana. "

Sri Tulasi Pranama

vrndayai tulasi-devyai

priyayai kesavasya ca

visnu-bhakti-prade devi

satyavatyai namo namah

Translation:

" I offer my repeated obeisances unto Vrnda, Srimati Tulasi Devi, who is

very dear to Lord Kesava. O goddess, you bestow devotional service to

Lord Krishna and possess the highest truth. " On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 8:19 AM, Jayasree Menon <euroanuster wrote:

Hari Om !

Understand from a close-to-me-source that " Tulasi " can be taken for pooja even after it is used on the previous day for pooja by washing them.  Secondly also understand that Tulasi removed from plant can be used after three days (i.e. 3 days after they are plucked)   which is not possible as regards to other flowers.  Can anyone throw light on this subject?

-- Best regardsJayasree MenonBangalore+9900149461my blog link: http://www.pythrukam.blogspot.com/--

A well-thought out plan, execution excellence, market timing, personal leadership are drivers of the growth   trajectory.

-- Take advantage of this rare opportunity of this human form of life.  There are 8,400,000 different species of life through which we are rotating lifetime after lifetime. So getting a human body is not an every day affair. This most auspicious opportunity only comes after many millions of lifetimes in the lower species. Anyone who does not utilize their human life for self-realization is making the greatest mistake. When this happens it is the greatest tragedy, and unfortunately today this neglect of the human form has become the standard behavior for the entire human society. What can be done? We must first ourselves become solidly situated in Krishna consciousness and then do the highest welfare activity of spreading to everyone else all over the world.

Chant:Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna Hare HareHare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama Hare Hare

Guest guest

Hari Om!

Very true....I too personally oppose using the flowers, no matter whether it is Tulasi or any other flower again, as it turns out to be Nirmalyam.  However, since Tulasi is being treated as a Pavithra Pushpam, I felt, it has such specialities too. 

No matter what it is, as you said, I feel, it is better to do pooja as we get full satisfaction, right?

Thanks a lot KVGji for the clarification.

Best regards

Om Namo Bhagavathe Vasudevaya !

2009/7/2 K.V Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna.kv

Dear Jayasreeji,Radhe Krishna!I have not heard of any restrictions in Tulasi, which falls under " Pathram " category and not " Pushpam " .   I buy one " Kuccham " which costs Rs. 10/- and keep it for two days.   I Kuccham is a mala about 2 metres long.  It might contain leaves plucked the previous day.    After bringing it home in the evening, when it is fresh, I wrap it up in a plastic carry-bag and keep it in the fridge, without adding any water.  The next day morning, I take half of it, give it a thorough wash in cold water and keep it on a slanting plate for about an hour, when all the water would have drained, and the Tulasi also looks fresh.   I use it for garlanding Krishna and loose leaves for archana etc.

The other half is kept back in the fridge wrapped up as it was, and stays for the next day.   Again in the morning, I give the same treatment for the new mala as the previous day, and the leaves look quite fresh.While keeping in the fridge, if it is wet, it gives a somewhat rotten smell and you can also see some leaves having got rotten.

In Tamil Nadu, I have seen poojaris in temples using the same flowers again and again, taking them back from the ground where they had fallen during the Archana,   I do not approve of this, as it is like wearing the same clothes after the bath!

RegardsKVG.

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Jayasree Menon <euroanuster wrote:

Hari Om !

Guest guest

HARI AUM – VAUDHAIVA KUTUMBAKAM

Thank you Jayasreeji – a

"simple question" on Thulasi had prompted a few of our learned devotees to come

up with some thought provoking write-ups!

Manikantanji's authentic

quotes re-establish the utmost importance of Thulasi in our prayers and

life. Perhaps Hinduism takes Thulasi as

a symbol of the Plant Kingdom – our Environment!

Kamaleshji's write-up is

very thought provoking in deed! It is

the first time that I came across "… rules for collecting the tulasi leaves from

the plant …". This shows we should

first love, respect and almost worship the plant before plucking very

considerately the least required leaves or flowers from it! A very adorable concept – hope no one should

have any difficulty to accept it.

In fact this is

precisely what I could remember having observed almost 6 decades back in

typical families in Kerala. The elders

after their early morning bath circumambulate the Thulasi Thara and then with

great devotion pluck a few - may be even a single - leaf and offer it to their

Ishta Devata and pray. Even though

there were enough flowers all around in those days they never load the place of

worship with so much flowers of all sorts.

But even in cities like

Mumbai, it is a very common sight these days that pains most of us: many

(otherwise)respectable devotees go out early mornings and enthusiastically

pluck - rather plunder - flowers from their own or the common public gardens,

before some one else turns up, as if there is no tomorrow! Wish they realise that the weight of

flowers or garlands thus grabbed only makes their lives heavier.

How great is the concept

that Chirattapuramji stated, "Bhagavan accepts anything offered to Him with

utmost devotion". Here I am reminded

of a practice described by one of our learned devotees (Savitripuram?) a few

years back on a noble concept, her mother taught her, of SANKALPA POOJA.

So it is not the cost or

quantity of the flowers we buy form the market or grab from the gardens that

matter, it is just our unqualified DEDICATION and DEVOTION in our PRAYERS, in

true harmony with MOTHER NATURE.

LIVE AND LET LIVE!

Pluck a Few Flowers if

You Must – Still Leave Most on the Plants.

Share and Enjoy the

Blessings of Nature – Never Hoard or Deny.

Love Birds in Nature –

Don't Cage Them.

Love Wild Life – Leave

Them in the Wild.

Love Children of the Neighborhood – Don't Kidnap.

LOKA SAMASTHA SUKHINO

BHAVANTU

Regards,

NB Nair.

guruvayur , Jayasree Menon <euroanuster wrote:>> Hari Om !> > Understand from a close-to-me-source that "Tulasi" can be taken for pooja> even after it is used on the previous day for pooja by washing them.> Secondly also understand that Tulasi removed from plant can be used after> three days (i.e. 3 days after they are plucked) which is not possible as> regards to other flowers. Can anyone throw light on this subject?> > -- > Best regards> > Jayasree Menon> Bangalore> +9900149461> my blog link: http://www.pythrukam.blogspot.com/> --> A well-thought out plan, execution excellence, market timing, personal> leadership are drivers of the growth trajectory.>

Guest guest

Dear KVGji, Sastryji, and other devotees,

I do understand that what we use for puja is the leaf of Tulasi.  For that reason it should be called pathram.  I would like to mention a specific practice and seek explanation from the learned.

Namboodiris of Kerala, while performing religious rites (e.g. performing a danam) would say " oru vellam " (meaning water once), " oru poovu " (one flower - they are referring to Thulasi).  Also while performing pooja they would refer to " poovu kontu araadhikkuka "   again referring to Thulasi.  In short, whatever I know among Namboodiris they would refer to Thulasi leaf only as " poovu " .  Is it because Thulasi is so sacred that it unlike the leaves of thechi, jasmine, lotus, etc. ?  I am tempted to say that probably the same thing applies to Bilva leaf, but then it is used mostly for Lord Siva only.

I seek clarification from the learned.

With prayers,

Chith Puram

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 3:26 AM, Dr.B.G.Y Sastry <drbgysastry wrote:

Dear Madam,

Bhakti is eternal.

I am a member of one day old in this site.

Having delighted for your doubt, I am clarifying what I know.

There are two verities for puja.  One is pushpam (flower) and the other is pathram (leaf).  Tulasi and Bilwa are pathras.  Normally all flowers become decomposed after a day. Where as the leaves remain fresh for two to three days.  Especially in cities, where there is no possibility of having the plants and depending on vendors, it may not be possible to pluck the leaf then and there and can be used after two to three days, if they are fresh. This is known well from the glory of Tulasi:

snanE daanE tatha dhyanE prasanE kESava arcane, tulasi dahate paapam rOpanE keertanE kalau. (Skanda Purana)   In Kali-yuga, Tulasidevi burns up all of a person's sins who bathes her, gives her in charity, meditates on her, eats her leaves, worships Lord Sri Kesava with her, transplants her or sings her glories.   patram pushpam phalam kaastham tvat saakha pallavaankuram, tulasi sambhavam muulam paavanam mruttikaadi api. (Prahlada Sahmita)   Leaves of Tulasi, flowers of Tulasi, fruits of Tulasi, branches of Tulasi, bark of Tulasi, sprout of Tulasi, blossom or bud of Tulasi, and clay of Tulasi are all completely purified..

As regards to puja the leaves, flowers or any thing except “Hiranya” (Gold ornaments) once used are no more fit, as they are termed as “Nirmalya”, which is considered as dust.  The ornaments are to be cleaned and reused.

Hope it is clear.

With love and regards,

Sastry

--- On Thu, 7/2/09, Jayasree Menon <euroanuster wrote:

Jayasree Menon <euroanuster[Guruvayur] Thulasiguruvayur

Thursday, July 2, 2009, 5:19 AM

Hari Om !

Understand from a close-to-me- source that " Tulasi " can be taken for pooja even after it is used on the previous day for pooja by washing them.  Secondly also understand that Tulasi removed from plant can be used after three days (i.e. 3 days after they are plucked)   which is not possible as regards to other flowers.  Can anyone throw light on this subject?

-- Best regardsJayasree MenonBangalore+9900149461my blog link: http://www.pythruka m.blogspot. com/

------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -----A well-thought out plan, execution excellence, market timing, personal leadership are drivers of the growth   trajectory.

Guest guest

Respected KVG,

Just take an earthern pot, filled with just earth, plant those thulsi branches in the earth and pour water. It may get rooted and you will have a tulsi plant in the house. You can plant tulsi seeds. They are available in the tulsi flowers when they get dried up. In Kerala I just throw the seeds in the land space and when the first rain comes the seeds will flourish into small plants. Otherwise I break the branches from the plant and plant them in a row. I will have tulsi plants in bushes all of the same height. Many of my friends complained that the tulsi plant does not thrive in their compound. I gave them small pots planted with tulsi and asked them to keep it in their thulasithara. They are all ok now. I give bunches of tulsi in the temple nearby and the hibiscus flowers. --- On Thu, 2/7/09, K.V Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna.kv wrote:

K.V Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna.kvRe: [Guruvayur] Thulasiguruvayur Date: Thursday, 2 July, 2009, 3:52 PM

Dear Jayasreeji,Radhe Krishna!I have not heard of any restrictions in Tulasi, which falls under "Pathram" category and not "Pushpam". I buy one "Kuccham" which costs Rs. 10/- and keep it for two days. I Kuccham is a mala about 2 metres long. It might contain leaves plucked the previous day. After bringing it home in the evening, when it is fresh, I wrap it up in a plastic carry-bag and keep it in the fridge, without adding any water. The next day morning, I take half of it, give it a thorough wash in cold water and keep it on a slanting plate for about an hour, when all the water would have drained, and the Tulasi also looks fresh. I use it for garlanding Krishna and loose leaves for archana etc.The other half is kept back in the fridge wrapped up as it was, and stays for the next day. Again in the morning, I give the same treatment for the new mala as

the previous day, and the leaves look quite fresh.While keeping in the fridge, if it is wet, it gives a somewhat rotten smell and you can also see some leaves having got rotten.In Tamil Nadu, I have seen poojaris in temples using the same flowers again and again, taking them back from the ground where they had fallen during the Archana, I do not approve of this, as it is like wearing the same clothes after the bath!RegardsKVG.

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Jayasree Menon <euroanuster@ gmail.com> wrote:

Hari Om !

Understand from a close-to-me- source that "Tulasi" can be taken for pooja even after it is used on the previous day for pooja by washing them. Secondly also understand that Tulasi removed from plant can be used after three days (i.e. 3 days after they are plucked) which is not possible as regards to other flowers. Can anyone throw light on this subject?

-- Best regardsJayasree MenonBangalore+9900149461my blog link: http://www.pythruka m.blogspot. com/------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -----A well-thought out plan, execution excellence, market timing, personal leadership are drivers of the growth trajectory.

Love Cricket? Check out live scores, photos, video highlights and more.

Guest guest

Hari-Om

=======

Respected KVGji , Chith Puramji and other Gurudevas.

This is not a clarification but a suggestion.

What is in a name . Whether we call leaf or flower Bhagavan loves it all the

same. In Kerala, especially in Cochin State, Thulsi leaf is referred to as

Thulsi Poov. This must be due to the fact that it has no visible flowers and

being the main item for pooja along with other flowers it deserves to be called

poov. As KVGji mentioned.

In almost all Hindu tharvdus there is (was) a thulsi thara and a deepam lighted

morning and evening.

The residents of the house did surya namaskar in front of it.

Picking up wayward thulsi plants is a really honorable deed.

Stolen flowers? That is lack of good manners and because of ignorance, and for

such people, bhakti is only superficial.

In countries like U S A plucking flowers without owner's permission is a

punishable crime. In India it is so-clled THEVARUDE AANA , I suppose.

THulsi poo and thulsi mala are mainly for Vishnu pooja whereas koovalam is for

Mahadeva worship as mentioned by Sri Chit Puramji.

Thulsi poo and other flowers used for pooja should be fresh and crisp.

Once used they are discarded and they are not fit for re-use for pooja.

jai shree krishna !

Achuthan Nair

guruvayur , " K.V Gopalakrishna " <gopalakrishna.kv

wrote:

>

> Dear Dr. Chitrabhanuji and othe friends of the Guruvayoor group,

> Radhe Krishna!

> It is my understanding that when Lord krishna Himself says " Pathram,

> pushpam. phalam, thoyam " , He differentiates between Tulasi leaves and other

> flowers, although in Kerala, people say " Tulasi Poovu " meaning Tulasi

> leaves. There is nothing wrong in this. It only means that they are

> equating Tulasi leaves with other flowers. After all, so far as it is

> offered with Bhakti, the name doesn't matter! Further, to clear the doubt

> of Jayasreeji, I would like to point out that Tulasi leaves are offered to

> Vishnu and His Avataras only, and Vilvam leaves (Bilwa-pathrams) to Lord

> Siva only. The Bilwa pathrams should be full leaves containing all the

> three petals (I dont know if I can call them petals), but even if one petal

> is missing, it is considered unfit for using for worship.

>

> It is also my understanding that the Tulasi plant which is kept in a " Tulasi

> Maadom " in front of the house is only for worship as Tulasi Devi. Leaves

> from this plant are normally not used for offering to the Lord. This is

> what little I have learnt from my mother who used to light a lamp

> immediately after the morning bath at the Tulasi plant, keeping it facing

> east, perform Abhishekom to the plant, apply Kumkum, manjal, etc., perform

> Pooja with flowers, and perform circum-ambulations and Namaskaram. Also

> neivedyam of milk used to be made to the Tulasi Devi.

>

> It is the general belief that Lord Krishna lives in the Tulasi plant---the

> reason why we should have as many Tulasi plants at home as possible.

> People may laugh at me if I say that when I go for walk, I keep looking on

> the roadside wild vegetation, and if I find a Tulasi plant, I immediately

> transfer it to my garden.

>

> But in Bangalore, I find many people go for early morning walks and if they

> find any flowers jutting out of house gardens, they pluck them quietly and

> put them in a bag they carry for the purpose. One day, I tried to strike a

> conversation with one " senior citizen " who was committing this crime of

> stealing flowers, but he immediately wound up his operations and swiftly

> walked off without uttering one word. Probably, if he tried to respond to

> my talk, he was afraid of waking up the landlord of that house! I have

> never seen him again!

>

> Does the Lord accept stolen flowers ?

> Regards

> KVG.

>

> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 6:20 PM, Chith Puram <krsnakrpa wrote:

>

> >

> >

> > Dear KVGji, Sastryji, and other devotees,

> > I do understand that what we use for puja is the leaf of Tulasi. For that

> > reason it should be called pathram. I would like to mention a specific

> > practice and seek explanation from the learned.

> >

> > Namboodiris of Kerala, while performing religious rites (e.g. performing a

> > danam) would say " oru vellam " (meaning water once), " oru poovu " (one flower

> > - they are referring to Thulasi). Also while performing pooja they would

> > refer to " poovu kontu araadhikkuka " again referring to Thulasi. In short,

> > whatever I know among Namboodiris they would refer to Thulasi leaf only as

> > " poovu " . Is it because Thulasi is so sacred that it unlike the leaves of

> > thechi, jasmine, lotus, etc. ? I am tempted to say that probably the same

> > thing applies to Bilva leaf, but then it is used mostly for Lord Siva only.

> >

> > I seek clarification from the learned.

> >

> > With prayers,

> >

> > Chith Puram

> >

> > On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 3:26 AM, Dr.B.G.Y Sastry <drbgysastrywrote:

> >

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >> Dear Madam, Bhakti is eternal. I am a member of one day old in this

> >> site. Having delighted for your doubt, I am clarifying what I know.

There

> >> are two verities for puja. One is pushpam (flower) and the other is

> >> pathram (leaf). Tulasi and Bilwa are pathras. Normally all flowers

> >> become decomposed after a day. Where as the leaves remain fresh for two to

> >> three days. Especially in cities, where there is no possibility of

> >> having the plants and depending on vendors, it may not be possible to pluck

> >> the leaf then and there and can be used after two to three days, if they

are

> >> fresh. This is known well from the glory of Tulasi:

> >>

> >> snanE daanE tatha dhyanE prasanE kESava arcane,

> >>

> >> tulasi dahate paapam rOpanE keertanE kalau.

> >>

> >> (Skanda Purana)

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >> In Kali-yuga, Tulasidevi burns up all of a person's sins who bathes her,

> >> gives her in charity, meditates on her, eats her leaves, worships Lord Sri

> >>

> >> Kesava with her, transplants her or sings her glories.

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >> patram pushpam phalam kaastham tvat saakha pallavaankuram,

> >>

> >> tulasi sambhavam muulam paavanam mruttikaadi api.

> >>

> >> (Prahlada Sahmita)

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >> Leaves of Tulasi, flowers of Tulasi, fruits of Tulasi, branches of Tulasi,

> >>

> >> bark of Tulasi, sprout of Tulasi, blossom or bud of Tulasi, and clay of

> >> Tulasi

> >> are all completely purified..

> >> As regards to puja the leaves, flowers or any thing except " Hiranya "

> >> (Gold ornaments) once used are no more fit, as they are termed as

> >> " Nirmalya " , which is considered as dust. The ornaments are to be cleaned

> >> and reused. Hope it is clear. With love and regards, Sastry ---

> >> On *Thu, 7/2/09, Jayasree Menon <euroanuster* wrote:

> >>

> >>

> >> Jayasree Menon <euroanuster

> >> [Guruvayur] Thulasi

> >> guruvayur

> >> Thursday, July 2, 2009, 5:19 AM

> >>

> >> Hari Om !

> >>

> >> Understand from a close-to-me- source that " Tulasi " can be taken for pooja

> >> even after it is used on the previous day for pooja by washing them.

> >> Secondly also understand that Tulasi removed from plant can be used after

> >> three days (i.e. 3 days after they are plucked) which is not possible as

> >> regards to other flowers. Can anyone throw light on this subject?

> >>

> >> --

> >> Best regards

> >>

> >> Jayasree Menon

> >> Bangalore

> >> +9900149461

> >> my blog link: http://www.pythruka m.blogspot.

com/<http://www.pythrukam.blogspot.com/>

> >> ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------

> >> --------- -----

> >> A well-thought out plan, execution excellence, market timing, personal

> >> leadership are drivers of the growth trajectory.

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Pranamam to All,

Some flowers are not using for pooja purpose. (E.g. mukkutty, kakka poovu. etc). Any reason behind this?

With Prayers

Jayasankar Vattekkat

--- On Fri, 3/7/09, K.V Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna.kv wrote:

K.V Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna.kvRe: [Guruvayur] Thulasiguruvayur Date: Friday, 3 July, 2009, 8:37 PM

Dear Dr. Chitrabhanuji and othe friends of the Guruvayoor group,Radhe Krishna!It is my understanding that when Lord krishna Himself says "Pathram, pushpam. phalam, thoyam", He differentiates between Tulasi leaves and other flowers, although in Kerala, people say "Tulasi Poovu" meaning Tulasi leaves. There is nothing wrong in this. It only means that they are equating Tulasi leaves with other flowers. After all, so far as it is offered with Bhakti, the name doesn't matter! Further, to clear the doubt of Jayasreeji, I would like to point out that Tulasi leaves are offered to Vishnu and His Avataras only, and Vilvam leaves (Bilwa-pathrams) to Lord Siva only. The Bilwa pathrams should be full leaves containing all the three petals (I dont know if I can call them petals), but even if one petal is missing, it is considered unfit for using for worship. It is also my

understanding that the Tulasi plant which is kept in a "Tulasi Maadom" in front of the house is only for worship as Tulasi Devi. Leaves from this plant are normally not used for offering to the Lord. This is what little I have learnt from my mother who used to light a lamp immediately after the morning bath at the Tulasi plant, keeping it facing east, perform Abhishekom to the plant, apply Kumkum, manjal, etc., perform Pooja with flowers, and perform circum-ambulations and Namaskaram. Also neivedyam of milk used to be made to the Tulasi Devi.It is the general belief that Lord Krishna lives in the Tulasi plant---the reason why we should have as many Tulasi plants at home as possible. People may laugh at me if I say that when I go for walk, I keep looking on the roadside wild vegetation, and if I find a Tulasi plant, I immediately transfer it to my garden.But in Bangalore, I find many people

go for early morning walks and if they find any flowers jutting out of house gardens, they pluck them quietly and put them in a bag they carry for the purpose. One day, I tried to strike a conversation with one "senior citizen" who was committing this crime of stealing flowers, but he immediately wound up his operations and swiftly walked off without uttering one word. Probably, if he tried to respond to my talk, he was afraid of waking up the landlord of that house! I have never seen him again!Does the Lord accept stolen flowers ?RegardsKVG.

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 6:20 PM, Chith Puram <krsnakrpa (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:

I do understand that what we use for puja is the leaf of Tulasi. For that reason it should be called pathram. I would like to mention a specific practice and seek explanation from the learned.

Namboodiris of Kerala, while performing religious rites (e.g. performing a danam) would say "oru vellam" (meaning water once), " oru poovu" (one flower - they are referring to Thulasi). Also while performing pooja they would refer to "poovu kontu araadhikkuka" again referring to Thulasi. In short, whatever I know among Namboodiris they would refer to Thulasi leaf only as "poovu". Is it because Thulasi is so sacred that it unlike the leaves of thechi, jasmine, lotus, etc. ? I am tempted to say that probably the same thing applies to Bilva leaf, but then it is used mostly for Lord Siva only.

With prayers,

Chith Puram

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 3:26 AM, Dr.B.G.Y Sastry <drbgysastry@ > wrote:

Dear Madam,

Bhakti is eternal.

There are two verities for puja. One is pushpam (flower) and the other is pathram (leaf). Tulasi and Bilwa are pathras. Normally all flowers become decomposed after a day. Where as the leaves remain fresh for two to three days. Especially in cities, where there is no possibility of having the plants and depending on vendors, it may not be possible to pluck the leaf then and there and can be used after two to three days, if they are fresh. This is known well from the glory of Tulasi:

snanE daanE tatha dhyanE prasanE kESava arcane,

tulasi dahate paapam rOpanE keertanE kalau.

(Skanda Purana)

In Kali-yuga, Tulasidevi burns up all of a person's sins who bathes her, gives her in charity, meditates on her, eats her leaves, worships Lord Sri Kesava with her, transplants her or sings her glories.

patram pushpam phalam kaastham tvat saakha pallavaankuram,

tulasi sambhavam muulam paavanam mruttikaadi api.

(Prahlada Sahmita)

Leaves of Tulasi, flowers of Tulasi, fruits of Tulasi, branches of Tulasi, bark of Tulasi, sprout of Tulasi, blossom or bud of Tulasi, and clay of Tulasi are all completely purified..

As regards to puja the leaves, flowers or any thing except “Hiranya†(Gold ornaments) once used are no more fit, as they are termed as “Nirmalyaâ€, which is considered as dust. The ornaments are to be cleaned and reused.

Hope it is clear.

With love and regards,

Sastry

--- On Thu, 7/2/09, Jayasree Menon <euroanuster@ gmail.com> wrote:

Jayasree Menon <euroanuster@ gmail.com>[Guruvayur] Thulasiguruvayur@grou ps.comThursday, July 2, 2009, 5:19 AM

Hari Om !

Understand from a close-to-me- source that "Tulasi" can be taken for pooja even after it is used on the previous day for pooja by washing them. Secondly also understand that Tulasi removed from plant can be used after three days (i.e. 3 days after they are plucked) which is not possible as regards to other flowers. Can anyone throw light on this subject?

-- Best regardsJayasree MenonBangalore+9900149461my blog link: http://www.pythruka m.blogspot. com/------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -----A well-thought out plan, execution excellence, market timing, personal leadership are drivers of the growth trajectory.

Guest guest

Dear Jayasankarji and other devotees of Krishna!Radhe Krishna!I am not aware of any religious reasons why some flowers are not used for Pooja.   One story about Kaithappoo or Thazhampoovu is the ancient one that once Vishnu and Brahma went to search the either ends of Lord Siva, Vishnu went downward and Brahma went upward.   Brahma found a thazhampoo flower which had decorated Lord Siva and came and reported (to whom?) that he had found the head of Siva and brought the thazhampoo as a witness.   By prior arrangement, the thazhampoo bore witness to the lie that Brahma said.    Lord Vishnu, true to himself, as He is, told the truth, admitting defeat.   Hence Siva, as punishment, plucked off one head off Brahma's assembly of five heads which he had, and cursed the thazhampoo that it will not be used for poojas.   He also cursed Brahma that thenceforth, there will be no temples for Brahma and nobody will worship him!

I haven't read anywhere that Brahma had five heads and Siva plucked one head off!These stories have been said to children by grandparents, but I doubt these have any backing from the Puranams and other holy books!

It is my personal opinion that all flowers are the creations of God, and all stand equally qualified for the Lord's worship.    It is also my personal opinion that one should pluck only 50% of the flowers from a plant, and leave the rest to " Prakriti " , mother nature, where the flowers really belong to-------everyone will agree that the flowers look good on the plants on which they grow-------   I practise  the same in my garden, by leaving 50% of the flowers to mother nature.

RegardsKVG.On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 2:06 PM, jayasankar vattekkat <vinodvattekkat wrote:

Pranamam to All,

Some flowers are not using for pooja purpose. (E.g. mukkutty, kakka poovu. etc). Any reason behind this?

With Prayers

Jayasankar Vattekkat

K.V Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna.kvRe: [Guruvayur] Thulasi

guruvayur Date: Friday, 3 July, 2009, 8:37 PM

Dear Dr. Chitrabhanuji and othe friends of the Guruvayoor group,Radhe Krishna!It is my understanding that when Lord krishna Himself says " Pathram, pushpam. phalam, thoyam " , He differentiates between Tulasi leaves and other flowers, although in Kerala, people say " Tulasi Poovu " meaning Tulasi leaves.   There is nothing wrong in this.   It only means that they are equating Tulasi leaves with other flowers.    After all, so far as it is offered with Bhakti, the name doesn't matter!   Further, to clear the doubt of Jayasreeji, I would like to point out that Tulasi leaves are offered to Vishnu and His Avataras only, and Vilvam leaves (Bilwa-pathrams) to Lord Siva only.   The Bilwa pathrams should be full leaves containing all the three petals (I dont know if I can call them petals), but even if one petal is missing, it is considered unfit for using for worship. 

It is also my

understanding that the Tulasi plant which is kept in a " Tulasi Maadom " in front of the house is only for worship as Tulasi Devi.   Leaves from this plant are normally not used for offering to the Lord.   This is what little I have learnt from my mother who used to light a lamp immediately after the morning bath at the Tulasi plant, keeping it facing east, perform Abhishekom to the plant, apply Kumkum, manjal, etc., perform Pooja with flowers, and perform circum-ambulations and Namaskaram.  Also neivedyam of milk used to be made to the Tulasi Devi.

It is the general belief that Lord Krishna lives in the Tulasi plant---the reason why we should have as many Tulasi plants at home as possible.   People may laugh at me if I say that when I go for walk, I keep looking on the roadside wild vegetation, and if I find a Tulasi plant, I immediately transfer it to my garden.

But in Bangalore, I  find many people

go for early morning walks and if they find any flowers jutting out of house gardens, they pluck them quietly and put them in a bag they carry for the purpose.   One day, I tried to strike a conversation with one " senior citizen " who was committing this crime of stealing flowers, but he immediately wound up his operations and swiftly walked off without uttering one word.   Probably, if he tried to respond to my talk, he was afraid of waking up the landlord of that house!  I have never seen him again!

Does the Lord accept stolen flowers ?RegardsKVG.

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 6:20 PM, Chith Puram <krsnakrpa (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:

I do understand that what we use for puja is the leaf of Tulasi.  For that reason it should be called pathram.  I would like to mention a specific practice and seek explanation from the learned.

Namboodiris of Kerala, while performing religious rites (e.g. performing a danam) would say " oru vellam " (meaning water once), " oru poovu " (one flower - they are referring to Thulasi).  Also while performing pooja they would refer to " poovu kontu araadhikkuka "   again referring to Thulasi.  In short, whatever I know among Namboodiris they would refer to Thulasi leaf only as " poovu " .  Is it because Thulasi is so sacred that it unlike the leaves of thechi, jasmine, lotus, etc. ?  I am tempted to say that probably the same thing applies to Bilva leaf, but then it is used mostly for Lord Siva only.

With prayers,

Chith Puram

Dear Madam,

Bhakti is eternal.

There are two verities for puja.  One is pushpam (flower) and the other is pathram (leaf).  Tulasi and Bilwa are pathras.  Normally all flowers become decomposed after a day. Where as the leaves remain fresh for two to three days.  Especially in cities, where there is no possibility of having the plants and depending on vendors, it may not be possible to pluck the leaf then and there and can be used after two to three days, if they are fresh. This is known well from the glory of Tulasi:

(Skanda Purana)

In Kali-yuga, Tulasidevi burns up all of a person's sins who bathes her, gives her in charity, meditates on her, eats her leaves, worships Lord Sri Kesava with her, transplants her or sings her glories.

(Prahlada Sahmita)

Leaves of Tulasi, flowers of Tulasi, fruits of Tulasi, branches of Tulasi, bark of Tulasi, sprout of Tulasi, blossom or bud of Tulasi, and clay of Tulasi are all completely purified..

As regards to puja the leaves, flowers or any thing except “Hiranya” (Gold ornaments) once used are no more fit, as they are termed as “Nirmalya”, which is considered as dust.  The ornaments are to be cleaned and reused.

Hope it is clear.

With love and regards,

Sastry

Jayasree Menon <euroanuster@ gmail.com>

[Guruvayur] Thulasiguruvayur@grou ps.comThursday, July 2, 2009, 5:19 AM

Hari Om !

Understand from a close-to-me- source that " Tulasi " can be taken for pooja even after it is used on the previous day for pooja by washing them.  Secondly also understand that Tulasi removed from plant can be used after three days (i.e. 3 days after they are plucked)   which is not possible as regards to other flowers.  Can anyone throw light on this subject?

-- Best regardsJayasree MenonBangalore+9900149461my blog link: http://www.pythruka m.blogspot. com/

------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -----A well-thought out plan, execution excellence, market timing, personal leadership are drivers of the growth   trajectory.

Guest guest

Dear all,Radhe Krishna!This is a post script (P.S.) to my earlier posting on the subject of usage of flowers for poojas.While we can philosophically say that all flowers are God's creations, and hence are equally qualified to use in Poojas, we have to bear one thing in mind---------that when our elders have made a ruling that certain flowers should not be used, there must be some valid reason to support that ruling.   One point I can find is that certain flowers are harmful and poisonous too, especially the sap of the flower, which, when handled by people, can cause sickness or injury.  Thazhampoo is one of the examples--- that it has thorns on both sides of the flower, and can cause injury to children..   Flowers like " Queen of Nights " and " Champakam " , it is said it is said, attract snakes.   Plants like " Ummam " are poisonous, and " Parthenium " causes skin allergy.   Likewise, there are many flowers which are injurious to the human system, especially at the hands of children.  

Some people have the habit of receiving the " Prasadam " from the Poojari and applying the flowers first to their eyes, as a mark of veneration to the Lord.   Some flowers can cause eye diseases.   As an example, the sap of the Erukku plant " ARKKA " in Sanskrit, if fallen in the eyes, can cause even blindness.   This is one reason that the Erukku plant normally does not find a place in home gardens, as it is a vulnerable plant for the children.

I can recall an instance where as one of the temples opened in the wee hours of the day, and Bhaktas collected to receive the Theertham, the Poojari distributed it from the vessel which had been left open overnight.   A dead lizard was detected in the vessel in time and finding this out saved the lives of the Bhaktas!

There have been instances where the " Theertham " received from the Poojari has caused stomach infection and food-poisoning.      Probably the water used was not hygenically clean.   Sankha theertham, for instance, is to be used only for spraying in the eyes, and not for consuming orally.   And if the water used is bad, it will certainly cause eye sickness.  Tulasi leaves are, in this respect, harmless.  Tulasi leaves are to be smelt and kept at the back of the right ear for repeated use, as the smell has a clear medicinal value.

These are points to be remembered, while we are all pious and full of Bhakti on the other side.As our revered Sastryji says, Bhakti is eternal.   At the same time, as citizens, we should also remember these points and if anything wrong is found, it should be brought to the notice of the people concerned.

RegardsKVG.

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 9:43 AM, K.V Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna.kv wrote:

Dear Jayasankarji and other devotees of Krishna!Radhe Krishna!I am not aware of any religious reasons why some flowers are not used for Pooja.   One story about Kaithappoo or Thazhampoovu is the ancient one that once Vishnu and Brahma went to search the either ends of Lord Siva, Vishnu went downward and Brahma went upward.   Brahma found a thazhampoo flower which had decorated Lord Siva and came and reported (to whom?) that he had found the head of Siva and brought the thazhampoo as a witness.   By prior arrangement, the thazhampoo bore witness to the lie that Brahma said.    Lord Vishnu, true to himself, as He is, told the truth, admitting defeat.   Hence Siva, as punishment, plucked off one head off Brahma's assembly of five heads which he had, and cursed the thazhampoo that it will not be used for poojas.   He also cursed Brahma that thenceforth, there will be no temples for Brahma and nobody will worship him!

I haven't read anywhere that Brahma had five heads and Siva plucked one head off!These stories have been said to children by grandparents, but I doubt these have any backing from the Puranams and other holy books!

It is my personal opinion that all flowers are the creations of God, and all stand equally qualified for the Lord's worship.    It is also my personal opinion that one should pluck only 50% of the flowers from a plant, and leave the rest to " Prakriti " , mother nature, where the flowers really belong to-------everyone will agree that the flowers look good on the plants on which they grow-------   I practise  the same in my garden, by leaving 50% of the flowers to mother nature.

RegardsKVG.On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 2:06 PM, jayasankar vattekkat <vinodvattekkat wrote:

Pranamam to All,

With Prayers

Jayasankar Vattekkat

K.V Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna.kvRe: [Guruvayur] Thulasi

guruvayur Date: Friday, 3 July, 2009, 8:37 PM

Dear Dr. Chitrabhanuji and othe friends of the Guruvayoor group,Radhe Krishna!It is my understanding that when Lord krishna Himself says " Pathram, pushpam. phalam, thoyam " , He differentiates between Tulasi leaves and other flowers, although in Kerala, people say " Tulasi Poovu " meaning Tulasi leaves.   There is nothing wrong in this.   It only means that they are equating Tulasi leaves with other flowers.    After all, so far as it is offered with Bhakti, the name doesn't matter!   Further, to clear the doubt of Jayasreeji, I would like to point out that Tulasi leaves are offered to Vishnu and His Avataras only, and Vilvam leaves (Bilwa-pathrams) to Lord Siva only.   The Bilwa pathrams should be full leaves containing all the three petals (I dont know if I can call them petals), but even if one petal is missing, it is considered unfit for using for worship. 

It is also my

understanding that the Tulasi plant which is kept in a " Tulasi Maadom " in front of the house is only for worship as Tulasi Devi.   Leaves from this plant are normally not used for offering to the Lord.   This is what little I have learnt from my mother who used to light a lamp immediately after the morning bath at the Tulasi plant, keeping it facing east, perform Abhishekom to the plant, apply Kumkum, manjal, etc., perform Pooja with flowers, and perform circum-ambulations and Namaskaram.  Also neivedyam of milk used to be made to the Tulasi Devi.

It is the general belief that Lord Krishna lives in the Tulasi plant---the reason why we should have as many Tulasi plants at home as possible.   People may laugh at me if I say that when I go for walk, I keep looking on the roadside wild vegetation, and if I find a Tulasi plant, I immediately transfer it to my garden.

But in Bangalore, I  find many people

go for early morning walks and if they find any flowers jutting out of house gardens, they pluck them quietly and put them in a bag they carry for the purpose.   One day, I tried to strike a conversation with one " senior citizen " who was committing this crime of stealing flowers, but he immediately wound up his operations and swiftly walked off without uttering one word.   Probably, if he tried to respond to my talk, he was afraid of waking up the landlord of that house!  I have never seen him again!

Does the Lord accept stolen flowers ?RegardsKVG.

With prayers,

Chith Puram

Dear Madam,

Bhakti is eternal.

(Skanda Purana)

(Prahlada Sahmita)

Hope it is clear.

With love and regards,

Sastry

Jayasree Menon <euroanuster@ gmail.com>

[Guruvayur] Thulasiguruvayur@grou ps.comThursday, July 2, 2009, 5:19 AM

Hari Om !

Guest guest

Pranamam Respected KVG JI,

Thank you so much for clarifying my doubt.

With Prayers,

Jayasanakar Vattekkat

--- On Sun, 5/7/09, K.V Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna.kv wrote:

K.V Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna.kvRe: [Guruvayur] Thulasiguruvayur Date: Sunday, 5 July, 2009, 3:23 PM

Dear all,Radhe Krishna!This is a post script (P.S.) to my earlier posting on the subject of usage of flowers for poojas.While we can philosophically say that all flowers are God's creations, and hence are equally qualified to use in Poojas, we have to bear one thing in mind-------- -that when our elders have made a ruling that certain flowers should not be used, there must be some valid reason to support that ruling. One point I can find is that certain flowers are harmful and poisonous too, especially the sap of the flower, which, when handled by people, can cause sickness or injury. Thazhampoo is one of the examples--- that it has thorns on both sides of the flower, and can cause injury to children.. Flowers like "Queen of Nights" and "Champakam", it is said it is said, attract snakes. Plants like "Ummam" are poisonous, and "Parthenium" causes skin allergy. Likewise, there are

many flowers which are injurious to the human system, especially at the hands of children. Some people have the habit of receiving the "Prasadam" from the Poojari and applying the flowers first to their eyes, as a mark of veneration to the Lord. Some flowers can cause eye diseases. As an example, the sap of the Erukku plant "ARKKA" in Sanskrit, if fallen in the eyes, can cause even blindness. This is one reason that the Erukku plant normally does not find a place in home gardens, as it is a vulnerable plant for the children.I can recall an instance where as one of the temples opened in the wee hours of the day, and Bhaktas collected to receive the Theertham, the Poojari distributed it from the vessel which had been left open overnight. A dead lizard was detected in the vessel in time and finding this out saved the lives of the Bhaktas! There have been instances where the

"Theertham" received from the Poojari has caused stomach infection and food-poisoning. Probably the water used was not hygenically clean. Sankha theertham, for instance, is to be used only for spraying in the eyes, and not for consuming orally. And if the water used is bad, it will certainly cause eye sickness. Tulasi leaves are, in this respect, harmless. Tulasi leaves are to be smelt and kept at the back of the right ear for repeated use, as the smell has a clear medicinal value. These are points to be remembered, while we are all pious and full of Bhakti on the other side.As our revered Sastryji says, Bhakti is eternal. At the same time, as citizens, we should also remember these points and if anything wrong is found, it should be brought to the notice of the people concerned.RegardsKVG.

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 9:43 AM, K.V Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna. kv (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:

Dear Jayasankarji and other devotees of Krishna!Radhe Krishna!I am not aware of any religious reasons why some flowers are not used for Pooja. One story about Kaithappoo or Thazhampoovu is the ancient one that once Vishnu and Brahma went to search the either ends of Lord Siva, Vishnu went downward and Brahma went upward. Brahma found a thazhampoo flower which had decorated Lord Siva and came and reported (to whom?) that he had found the head of Siva and brought the thazhampoo as a witness. By prior arrangement, the thazhampoo bore witness to the lie that Brahma said. Lord Vishnu, true to himself, as He is, told the truth, admitting defeat. Hence Siva, as punishment, plucked off one head off Brahma's assembly of five heads which he had, and cursed the thazhampoo that it will not be used for poojas. He also cursed

Brahma that thenceforth, there will be no temples for Brahma and nobody will worship him!I haven't read anywhere that Brahma had five heads and Siva plucked one head off!These stories have been said to children by grandparents, but I doubt these have any backing from the Puranams and other holy books!It is my personal opinion that all flowers are the creations of God, and all stand equally qualified for the Lord's worship. It is also my personal opinion that one should pluck only 50% of the flowers from a plant, and leave the rest to "Prakriti", mother nature, where the flowers really belong to-------everyone will agree that the flowers look good on the plants on which they grow------- I practise the same in my garden, by leaving 50% of the flowers to mother nature. RegardsKVG.

On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 2:06 PM, jayasankar vattekkat <vinodvattekkat@ .co. in> wrote:

Pranamam to All,

With Prayers

Jayasankar Vattekkat

--- On Fri, 3/7/09, K.V Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna. kv (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:

K.V Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna. kv (AT) gmail (DOT) com>Re: [Guruvayur] Thulasiguruvayur@grou ps.comFriday, 3 July, 2009, 8:37 PM

Dear Dr. Chitrabhanuji and othe friends of the Guruvayoor group,Radhe Krishna!It is my understanding that when Lord krishna Himself says "Pathram, pushpam. phalam, thoyam", He differentiates between Tulasi leaves and other flowers, although in Kerala, people say "Tulasi Poovu" meaning Tulasi leaves. There is nothing wrong in this. It only means that they are equating Tulasi leaves with other flowers. After all, so far as it is offered with Bhakti, the name doesn't matter! Further, to clear the doubt of Jayasreeji, I would like to point out that Tulasi leaves are offered to Vishnu and His Avataras only, and Vilvam leaves (Bilwa-pathrams) to Lord Siva only. The Bilwa pathrams should be full leaves containing all the three petals (I dont know if I can call them petals), but even if one petal is missing, it is considered unfit for using for worship. It is also my

understanding that the Tulasi plant which is kept in a "Tulasi Maadom" in front of the house is only for worship as Tulasi Devi. Leaves from this plant are normally not used for offering to the Lord. This is what little I have learnt from my mother who used to light a lamp immediately after the morning bath at the Tulasi plant, keeping it facing east, perform Abhishekom to the plant, apply Kumkum, manjal, etc., perform Pooja with flowers, and perform circum-ambulations and Namaskaram. Also neivedyam of milk used to be made to the Tulasi Devi.It is the general belief that Lord Krishna lives in the Tulasi plant---the reason why we should have as many Tulasi plants at home as possible. People may laugh at me if I say that when I go for walk, I keep looking on the roadside wild vegetation, and if I find a Tulasi plant, I immediately transfer it to my garden.But in Bangalore, I find many people

go for early morning walks and if they find any flowers jutting out of house gardens, they pluck them quietly and put them in a bag they carry for the purpose. One day, I tried to strike a conversation with one "senior citizen" who was committing this crime of stealing flowers, but he immediately wound up his operations and swiftly walked off without uttering one word. Probably, if he tried to respond to my talk, he was afraid of waking up the landlord of that house! I have never seen him again!Does the Lord accept stolen flowers ?RegardsKVG.

I do understand that what we use for puja is the leaf of Tulasi. For that reason it should be called pathram. I would like to mention a specific practice and seek explanation from the learned.

Namboodiris of Kerala, while performing religious rites (e.g. performing a danam) would say "oru vellam" (meaning water once), " oru poovu" (one flower - they are referring to Thulasi). Also while performing pooja they would refer to "poovu kontu araadhikkuka" again referring to Thulasi. In short, whatever I know among Namboodiris they would refer to Thulasi leaf only as "poovu". Is it because Thulasi is so sacred that it unlike the leaves of thechi, jasmine, lotus, etc. ? I am tempted to say that probably the same thing applies to Bilva leaf, but then it is used mostly for Lord Siva only.

With prayers,

Chith Puram

Dear Madam,

Bhakti is eternal.

There are two verities for puja. One is pushpam (flower) and the other is pathram (leaf). Tulasi and Bilwa are pathras. Normally all flowers become decomposed after a day. Where as the leaves remain fresh for two to three days. Especially in cities, where there is no possibility of having the plants and depending on vendors, it may not be possible to pluck the leaf then and there and can be used after two to three days, if they are fresh. This is known well from the glory of Tulasi:

(Skanda Purana)

(Prahlada Sahmita)

As regards to puja the leaves, flowers or any thing except “Hiranya†(Gold ornaments) once used are no more fit, as they are termed as “Nirmalyaâ€, which is considered as dust. The ornaments are to be cleaned and reused.

Hope it is clear.

With love and regards,

Sastry

Jayasree Menon <euroanuster@ gmail.com>[Guruvayur] Thulasiguruvayur@grou ps.com

Thursday, July 2, 2009, 5:19 AM

Hari Om !

Guest guest

Hari-Om

Pranaam, Chith Puramji, and other Gurudevs.

Thank you for the information. Of course there is nothing personal in this

forum; everything is for the better understanding of our traditions and culture.

As a young boy I spent a lot of time with activities associated with temples.

What you explained is what I had seen myself. The discared thulsi poo and mala

are carefully placed at the bottom of a tree in the temple complex so that

worshipers will not trample upon it since thulsi in any condition is the ultimte

symbol of purity.

Shyama thulsi is mainly used for pooja.

jai shree krishna !

Achuthan Nair

guruvayur , Chith Puram <krsnakrpa wrote:

>

> Namaste Nairji and other devoteees!

> " *The original question raised by Sreedeviji is whether Thulsi leaves could

> be re-used for pooja purposes .* "

>

> My understanding or what I have seen since a child (a good part of my life

> in Kerala) is the following. The flowers and garlands offered to a deity on

> a particular day is removed as nirmalyam. Devotees use it as prasadam and

> these flowers are not used for pujas again. In Kerala where there is lot

> of rain and sunshine getting flowers is easy.

>

> I do not know whether this practice can be implemented outside Kerala. Even

> today, living outside Kerala I do not re-use the nirmalyam flowers. If

> there are flowers that are not used for puja they may be kept fresh by

> refrigerating them for future use.

>

> Sorry for the digression, I wanted to share my thoughts which are purely

> personal. I DO NOT claim any authenticity for any of these statements. I

> apologize if I have hurt anyone's feeling unknowingly.

>

> In short I would not re-use thulasi flowers for worship.

>

> With prayers,

>

> Chith Puram

>

>

>

> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 8:53 AM, chirattapuram <anair1101 wrote:

>

> >

> >

> > Hari-Om

> > -------

> >

> > Respected Chith Puramji,

> > I think we have been deviating from the original query.

> > The original question raised by Sreedeviji is whether Thulsi leaves could

> > be re-used for pooja purposes . for example, On a Monday morning the

> > Ambalawasi procures very fresh thulsi leaves and makes some thulsi mala .

> > The Nambootiri uses these thulsi leaves, mala and other flowers for that

> > morning's pooja. Later in the day these are removed and discarded.

> > Now is it appropriate for the Thirumeni to PICK UP THESE SAME DISCARDED

> > THULSI leaves, wash them and re-use them on Tuesday morning, and repeat the

> > same process on Wednesday morning ?

> >

> > Could you please throw some light on this please ?

> >

> >

> > jai shree krishna !

> >

> > Achuthan Nair.

> >

> > guruvayur <guruvayur%40>, Chith

> > Puram <krsnakrpa@> wrote:

> > >

> > > Dear KVGji, Sastryji, and other devotees,

> > > I do understand that what we use for puja is the leaf of Tulasi. For that

> > > reason it should be called pathram. I would like to mention a specific

> > > practice and seek explanation from the learned.

> > >

> > > Namboodiris of Kerala, while performing religious rites (e.g. performing

> > a

> > > danam) would say " oru vellam " (meaning water once), " oru poovu " (one

> > flower

> > > - they are referring to Thulasi). Also while performing pooja they would

> > > refer to " poovu kontu araadhikkuka " again referring to Thulasi. In short,

> > > whatever I know among Namboodiris they would refer to Thulasi leaf only

> > as

> > > " poovu " . Is it because Thulasi is so sacred that it unlike the leaves of

> > > thechi, jasmine, lotus, etc. ? I am tempted to say that probably the same

> > > thing applies to Bilva leaf, but then it is used mostly for Lord Siva

> > only.

> > >

> > > I seek clarification from the learned.

> > >

> > > With prayers,

> > >

> > > Chith Puram

> > >

> > > On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 3:26 AM, Dr.B.G.Y Sastry <drbgysastry@>wrote:

> >

> > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Dear Madam, Bhakti is eternal. I am a member of one day old in this

> > > > site. Having delighted for your doubt, I am clarifying what I know.

> > There

> > > > are two verities for puja. One is pushpam (flower) and the other is

> > > > pathram (leaf). Tulasi and Bilwa are pathras. Normally all flowers

> > > > become decomposed after a day. Where as the leaves remain fresh for two

> > to

> > > > three days. Especially in cities, where there is no possibility of

> > having

> > > > the plants and depending on vendors, it may not be possible to pluck

> > the

> > > > leaf then and there and can be used after two to three days, if they

> > are

> > > > fresh. This is known well from the glory of Tulasi:

> > > >

> > > > snanE daanE tatha dhyanE prasanE kESava arcane,

> > > >

> > > > tulasi dahate paapam rOpanE keertanE kalau.

> > > >

> > > > (Skanda Purana)

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > In Kali-yuga, Tulasidevi burns up all of a person's sins who bathes

> > her,

> > > > gives her in charity, meditates on her, eats her leaves, worships Lord

> > Sri

> > > > Kesava with her, transplants her or sings her glories.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > patram pushpam phalam kaastham tvat saakha pallavaankuram,

> > > >

> > > > tulasi sambhavam muulam paavanam mruttikaadi api.

> > > >

> > > > (Prahlada Sahmita)

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Leaves of Tulasi, flowers of Tulasi, fruits of Tulasi, branches of

> > Tulasi,

> > > > bark of Tulasi, sprout of Tulasi, blossom or bud of Tulasi, and clay of

> > > > Tulasi

> > > > are all completely purified.. As regards to puja the leaves, flowers or

> > > > any thing except " Hiranya " (Gold ornaments) once used are no more fit,

> > as

> > > > they are termed as " Nirmalya " , which is considered as dust. The

> > ornaments

> > > > are to be cleaned and reused. Hope it is clear. With love and regards,

> > > > Sastry --- On *Thu, 7/2/09, Jayasree Menon <euroanuster@>*wrote:

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Jayasree Menon <euroanuster@>

> > > > [Guruvayur] Thulasi

> > > > guruvayur <guruvayur%40>

> > > > Thursday, July 2, 2009, 5:19 AM

> > > >

> > > > Hari Om !

> > > >

> > > > Understand from a close-to-me- source that " Tulasi " can be taken for

> > pooja

> > > > even after it is used on the previous day for pooja by washing them.

> > > > Secondly also understand that Tulasi removed from plant can be used

> > after

> > > > three days (i.e. 3 days after they are plucked) which is not possible

> > as

> > > > regards to other flowers. Can anyone throw light on this subject?

> > > >

> > > > --

> > > > Best regards

> > > >

> > > > Jayasree Menon

> > > > Bangalore

> > > > +9900149461

> > > > my blog link: http://www.pythruka m.blogspot. com/<

> > http://www.pythrukam.blogspot.com/>

> > > > ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------

> > ---------

> > > > --------- -----

> > > > A well-thought out plan, execution excellence, market timing, personal

> > > > leadership are drivers of the growth trajectory.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

dear all, my information is that thulasi and koovalam can be washed and reused for three and six months respectively.

with pranams to all

gopalakrishnan

Chith Puram <krsnakrpaguruvayur Sent: Tuesday, July 7, 2009 1:40:07 AMRe: [Guruvayur] Re: Thulasi

Namaste Nairji and other devoteees!

"The original question raised by Sreedeviji is whether Thulsi leaves could be re-used for pooja purposes ."

My understanding or what I have seen since a child (a good part of my life in Kerala) is the following. The flowers and garlands offered to a deity on a particular day is removed as nirmalyam. Devotees use it as prasadam and these flowers are not used for pujas again. In Kerala where there is lot of rain and sunshine getting flowers is easy.

I do not know whether this practice can be implemented outside Kerala. Even today, living outside Kerala I do not re-use the nirmalyam flowers. If there are flowers that are not used for puja they may be kept fresh by refrigerating them for future use.

Sorry for the digression, I wanted to share my thoughts which are purely personal. I DO NOT claim any authenticity for any of these statements. I apologize if I have hurt anyone's feeling unknowingly.

In short I would not re-use thulasi flowers for worship.

With prayers,

Chith Puram

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 8:53 AM, chirattapuram <anair1101 > wrote:

Hari-Om-------Respected Chith Puramji,I think we have been deviating from the original query.The original question raised by Sreedeviji is whether Thulsi leaves could be re-used for pooja purposes . for example, On a Monday morning the Ambalawasi procures very fresh thulsi leaves and makes some thulsi mala . The Nambootiri uses these thulsi leaves, mala and other flowers for that morning's pooja. Later in the day these are removed and discarded.Now is it appropriate for the Thirumeni to PICK UP THESE SAME DISCARDED THULSI leaves, wash them and re-use them on Tuesday morning, and repeat the same process on Wednesday morning ? Could you please throw some light on this please ?

jai shree krishna !Achuthan Nair.

guruvayur@grou ps.com, Chith Puram <krsnakrpa@.. .> wrote:>> Dear KVGji, Sastryji, and other devotees,> I do understand that what we use for puja is the leaf of Tulasi. For that> reason it should be called pathram. I would like to mention a specific> practice and seek explanation from the learned.> > Namboodiris of Kerala, while performing religious rites (e.g. performing a> danam) would say "oru vellam" (meaning water once), " oru poovu" (one flower> - they are referring to Thulasi). Also while performing pooja they would> refer to "poovu kontu araadhikkuka" again referring to Thulasi. In short,> whatever I know among Namboodiris they would refer to Thulasi leaf only as> "poovu". Is it because Thulasi is so sacred that it unlike

the leaves of> thechi, jasmine, lotus, etc. ? I am tempted to say that probably the same> thing applies to Bilva leaf, but then it is used mostly for Lord Siva only.> > I seek clarification from the learned.> > With prayers,> > Chith Puram> > On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 3:26 AM, Dr.B.G.Y Sastry <drbgysastry@ ...>wrote:

> > >> >> >> >> >> > Dear Madam, Bhakti is eternal. I am a member of one day old in this> > site. Having delighted for your doubt, I am clarifying what I know. There> > are two verities for puja. One is pushpam (flower) and the other is> > pathram (leaf). Tulasi and Bilwa are pathras. Normally all flowers> > become decomposed after a day. Where as the leaves remain fresh for two to> > three days. Especially in cities, where there is no possibility of having> > the plants and depending on vendors, it may not be possible to pluck the> > leaf then and there and can be used after two to three days, if they are> > fresh. This is known well from the glory of Tulasi:> >> > snanE daanE tatha dhyanE prasanE kESava arcane,> >> > tulasi dahate paapam rOpanE keertanE

kalau.> >> > (Skanda Purana)> >> >> >> > In Kali-yuga, Tulasidevi burns up all of a person's sins who bathes her,> > gives her in charity, meditates on her, eats her leaves, worships Lord Sri> > Kesava with her, transplants her or sings her glories.> >> >> >> > patram pushpam phalam kaastham tvat saakha pallavaankuram,> >> > tulasi sambhavam muulam paavanam mruttikaadi api.> >> > (Prahlada Sahmita)> >> >> >> > Leaves of Tulasi, flowers of Tulasi, fruits of Tulasi, branches of Tulasi,> > bark of Tulasi, sprout of Tulasi, blossom or bud of Tulasi, and clay of> > Tulasi> > are all completely purified.. As regards to puja the leaves, flowers or> > any thing except "Hiranya" (Gold ornaments) once used are no more fit,

as> > they are termed as "Nirmalya", which is considered as dust. The ornaments> > are to be cleaned and reused. Hope it is clear. With love and regards,> > Sastry --- On *Thu, 7/2/09, Jayasree Menon <euroanuster@ ...>*wrote:> >> >> > Jayasree Menon <euroanuster@ ...>

> > [Guruvayur] Thulasi> > guruvayur@grou ps.com> > Thursday, July 2, 2009, 5:19 AM> >> > Hari Om !> >> > Understand from a close-to-me- source that "Tulasi" can be taken for pooja> > even after it is used on the previous day for pooja by washing them.> > Secondly also understand that Tulasi removed from plant can be used after> > three days (i.e. 3 days after they are plucked) which is not possible as> > regards to other flowers. Can anyone throw light on this subject?> >> > --> > Best regards> >> > Jayasree Menon> > Bangalore> > +9900149461> > my blog link: http://www.pythruka m.blogspot. com/<http://www.pythruka m.blogspot. com/>

> > ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------> > --------- -----> > A well-thought out plan, execution excellence, market timing, personal> > leadership are drivers of the growth trajectory.> >> >> > > >>

Guest guest

Dear Gopalakrishnaji,

I would like to know the source of your information. Where or who did u hear it

from ?

jai shree krishna !

Acthuthan Nair

guruvayur , gopalakrishnan kesavanbhattathiri <gkekm7

wrote:

>

> dear all, my information is that thulasi and koovalam can be washed and reused

for three and six months respectively.

>

> with pranams to all

> gopalakrishnan

>

>

>

>

> ________________________________

> Chith Puram <krsnakrpa

> guruvayur

> Tuesday, July 7, 2009 1:40:07 AM

> Re: [Guruvayur] Re: Thulasi

>

>

>

>

>

> Namaste Nairji and other devoteees!

>

> " The original question raised by Sreedeviji is whether Thulsi leaves could be

re-used for pooja purposes . "

>

> My understanding or what I have seen since a child (a good part of my life in

Kerala) is the following.  The flowers and garlands offered to a deity on a

particular day is removed as nirmalyam.  Devotees use it as prasadam and these

flowers are not used for pujas again.   In Kerala where there is lot of rain and

sunshine getting flowers is easy.  

>

> I do not know whether this practice can be implemented outside Kerala.  Even

today, living outside Kerala I do not  re-use the nirmalyam  flowers.     If

there are flowers that are not used for puja they may be kept fresh by

refrigerating them for future use. 

>

> Sorry for the digression, I wanted to share my thoughts which are purely

personal.  I DO NOT claim any authenticity for any of these statements.  I

apologize if I have hurt anyone's feeling unknowingly.

>

> In short I would not re-use thulasi flowers for worship.

>

> With prayers,

>

> Chith Puram

>

>

>

>

> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 8:53 AM, chirattapuram <anair1101 > wrote:

>

>

> >

> >

> >Hari-Om

> >-------

> >

> >Respected Chith Puramji,

> >I think we have been deviating from the original query.

> >The original question raised by Sreedeviji is whether Thulsi leaves could be

re-used for pooja purposes . for example, On a Monday morning the Ambalawasi

procures very fresh thulsi leaves and makes some thulsi mala . The Nambootiri

uses these thulsi leaves, mala and other flowers for that morning's pooja. Later

in the day these are removed and discarded.

> >Now is it appropriate for the Thirumeni to PICK UP THESE SAME DISCARDED

THULSI leaves, wash them and re-use them on Tuesday morning, and repeat the same

process on Wednesday morning ?

> >

> >Could you please throw some light on this please ?

> >

> >

> >jai shree krishna !

> >

> >Achuthan Nair.

> >

> >

> >guruvayur@grou ps.com, Chith Puram <krsnakrpa@ .> wrote:

> >>

> >> Dear KVGji, Sastryji, and other devotees,

> >> I do understand that what we use for puja is the leaf of Tulasi. For that

> >> reason it should be called pathram. I would like to mention a specific

> >> practice and seek explanation from the learned.

> >>

> >> Namboodiris of Kerala, while performing religious rites (e.g. performing a

> >> danam) would say " oru vellam " (meaning water once), " oru poovu " (one

flower

> >> - they are referring to Thulasi). Also while performing pooja they would

> >> refer to " poovu kontu araadhikkuka " again referring to Thulasi. In short,

> >> whatever I know among Namboodiris they would refer to Thulasi leaf only as

> >> " poovu " . Is it because Thulasi is so sacred that it unlike the leaves of

> >> thechi, jasmine, lotus, etc. ? I am tempted to say that probably the same

> >> thing applies to Bilva leaf, but then it is used mostly for Lord Siva only.

> >>

> >> I seek clarification from the learned.

> >>

> >> With prayers,

> >>

> >> Chith Puram

> >>

> >> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 3:26 AM, Dr.B.G.Y Sastry <drbgysastry@ ...>wrote:

> >

> >>

> >> >

> >> >

> >> >

> >> >

> >> >

> >> > Dear Madam, Bhakti is eternal. I am a member of one day old in this

> >> > site. Having delighted for your doubt, I am clarifying what I know. There

> >> > are two verities for puja. One is pushpam (flower) and the other is

> >> > pathram (leaf). Tulasi and Bilwa are pathras. Normally all flowers

> >> > become decomposed after a day. Where as the leaves remain fresh for two

to

> >> > three days. Especially in cities, where there is no possibility of having

> >> > the plants and depending on vendors, it may not be possible to pluck the

> >> > leaf then and there and can be used after two to three days, if they are

> >> > fresh. This is known well from the glory of Tulasi:

> >> >

> >> > snanE daanE tatha dhyanE prasanE kESava arcane,

> >> >

> >> > tulasi dahate paapam rOpanE keertanE kalau.

> >> >

> >> > (Skanda Purana)

> >> >

> >> >

> >> >

> >> > In Kali-yuga, Tulasidevi burns up all of a person's sins who bathes her,

> >> > gives her in charity, meditates on her, eats her leaves, worships Lord

Sri

> >> > Kesava with her, transplants her or sings her glories.

> >> >

> >> >

> >> >

> >> > patram pushpam phalam kaastham tvat saakha pallavaankuram,

> >> >

> >> > tulasi sambhavam muulam paavanam mruttikaadi api.

> >> >

> >> > (Prahlada Sahmita)

> >> >

> >> >

> >> >

> >> > Leaves of Tulasi, flowers of Tulasi, fruits of Tulasi, branches of

Tulasi,

> >> > bark of Tulasi, sprout of Tulasi, blossom or bud of Tulasi, and clay of

> >> > Tulasi

> >> > are all completely purified.. As regards to puja the leaves, flowers or

> >> > any thing except " Hiranya " (Gold ornaments) once used are no more fit, as

> >> > they are termed as " Nirmalya " , which is considered as dust. The ornaments

> >> > are to be cleaned and reused. Hope it is clear. With love and regards,

> >> > Sastry --- On *Thu, 7/2/09, Jayasree Menon <euroanuster@ ...>*wrote:

> >> >

> >> >

> >> > Jayasree Menon <euroanuster@ ...>

> >

> >> > [Guruvayur] Thulasi

> >> > guruvayur@grou ps.com

> >> > Thursday, July 2, 2009, 5:19 AM

> >> >

> >> > Hari Om !

> >> >

> >> > Understand from a close-to-me- source that " Tulasi " can be taken for

pooja

> >> > even after it is used on the previous day for pooja by washing them.

> >> > Secondly also understand that Tulasi removed from plant can be used after

> >> > three days (i.e. 3 days after they are plucked) which is not possible as

> >> > regards to other flowers. Can anyone throw light on this subject?

> >> >

> >> > --

> >> > Best regards

> >> >

> >> > Jayasree Menon

> >> > Bangalore

> >> > +9900149461

> >> > my blog link: http://www.pythruka m.blogspot. com/<http://www.pythruka

m.blogspot. com/>

> >

> >> > ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------

> >> > --------- -----

> >> > A well-thought out plan, execution excellence, market timing, personal

> >> > leadership are drivers of the growth trajectory.

> >> >

> >> >

> >> >

> >> >

> >>

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Hari-om

-------

There are four types o Thulsi.

They are: Shyama (Krishna ) thulsi, which is od darker color;

Rama thulsi, those are of lighter color;

Karpoora thulsi used for medicinal purposes

Kaattu ( wild ) thulsi, very effective for controlling mosquitos.

Legend has it that the origin of thulsi is from Amrita. When amrit was obtained

after churning the ocean, both the Devas and Asuras started chasing each other

to get hold of it.In the struggle, a drop fell at Allahabad where the kumbh Mela

takes place every 12 years. A tiny drop that fell elsewhere became the Shyama

thulsi plant. This is why thulsi is revered by all Hindus alike.

Every one is aware that among the tri-murtis, Mahavishnu is cool-headed whereas

Mahadeva is extremely hyper and hot tempered.

Thulsi has energising properties hence it is Mahavishnu' favourite pooja item.

Koovalam leaves possess cooling properties and therefore used in Siva worship.

Sree Krishna loves the thulsi so much that once when during Sree Krishna's

thulabharam all the jewelry of Sathyabhama could not outweigh His weight but a

single thulsi leaf placed by Rukmini on the other end tilted the weight.

Hindus believe that those who plant thulsi and worship it gets moksha.

jai shree krishna !

Achuthan Nair

guruvayur , " chirattapuram " <anair1101 wrote:

>

> Dear Gopalakrishnaji,

> I would like to know the source of your information. Where or who did u hear

it from ?

>

> jai shree krishna !

>

> Acthuthan Nair

>

> guruvayur , gopalakrishnan kesavanbhattathiri <gkekm7@>

wrote:

> >

> > dear all, my information is that thulasi and koovalam can be washed and

reused for three and six months respectively.

> >

> > with pranams to all

> > gopalakrishnan

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > ________________________________

> > Chith Puram <krsnakrpa@>

> > guruvayur

> > Tuesday, July 7, 2009 1:40:07 AM

> > Re: [Guruvayur] Re: Thulasi

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Namaste Nairji and other devoteees!

> >

> > " The original question raised by Sreedeviji is whether Thulsi leaves could

be re-used for pooja purposes . "

> >

> > My understanding or what I have seen since a child (a good part of my life

in Kerala) is the following.  The flowers and garlands offered to a deity on a

particular day is removed as nirmalyam.  Devotees use it as prasadam and these

flowers are not used for pujas again.   In Kerala where there is lot of rain and

sunshine getting flowers is easy.  

> >

> > I do not know whether this practice can be implemented outside Kerala.  Even

today, living outside Kerala I do not  re-use the nirmalyam  flowers.     If

there are flowers that are not used for puja they may be kept fresh by

refrigerating them for future use. 

> >

> > Sorry for the digression, I wanted to share my thoughts which are purely

personal.  I DO NOT claim any authenticity for any of these statements.  I

> >

> > In short I would not re-use thulasi flowers for worship.

> >

> > With prayers,

> >

> > Chith Puram

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 8:53 AM, chirattapuram <anair1101 > wrote:

> >

> >

> > >

> > >

> > >Hari-Om

> > >-------

> > >

> > >Respected Chith Puramji,

> > >I think we have been deviating from the original query.

> > >The original question raised by Sreedeviji is whether Thulsi leaves could

be re-used for pooja purposes . for example, On a Monday morning the Ambalawasi

uses these thulsi leaves, mala and other flowers for that morning's pooja. Later

in the day these are removed and discarded.

> > >Now is it appropriate for the Thirumeni to PICK UP THESE SAME DISCARDED

THULSI leaves, wash them and re-use them on Tuesday morning, and repeat the same

> > >

> > >Could you please throw some light on this please ?

> > >

> > >

> > >jai shree krishna !

> > >

> > >Achuthan Nair.

> > >

> > >

> > >guruvayur@grou ps.com, Chith Puram <krsnakrpa@ .> wrote:

> > >>

> > >> Dear KVGji, Sastryji, and other devotees,

> > >> I do understand that what we use for puja is the leaf of Tulasi. For that

> > >> reason it should be called pathram. I would like to mention a specific

> > >> practice and seek explanation from the learned.

> > >>

> > >> Namboodiris of Kerala, while performing religious rites (e.g. performing

a

> > >> danam) would say " oru vellam " (meaning water once), " oru poovu " (one

flower

> > >> - they are referring to Thulasi). Also while performing pooja they would

> > >> refer to " poovu kontu araadhikkuka " again referring to Thulasi. In short,

> > >> whatever I know among Namboodiris they would refer to Thulasi leaf only

as

> > >> " poovu " . Is it because Thulasi is so sacred that it unlike the leaves of

> > >> thechi, jasmine, lotus, etc. ? I am tempted to say that probably the same

> > >> thing applies to Bilva leaf, but then it is used mostly for Lord Siva

only.

> > >>

> > >> I seek clarification from the learned.

> > >>

> > >> With prayers,

> > >>

> > >> Chith Puram

> > >>

> > >> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 3:26 AM, Dr.B.G.Y Sastry <drbgysastry@ ...>wrote:

> > >

> > >>

> > >> >

> > >> >

> > >> >

> > >> >

> > >> >

> > >> > Dear Madam, Bhakti is eternal. I am a member of one day old in this

> > >> > site. Having delighted for your doubt, I am clarifying what I know.

There

> > >> > are two verities for puja. One is pushpam (flower) and the other is

> > >> > pathram (leaf). Tulasi and Bilwa are pathras. Normally all flowers

> > >> > become decomposed after a day. Where as the leaves remain fresh for two

to

> > >> > three days. Especially in cities, where there is no possibility of

having

> > >> > the plants and depending on vendors, it may not be possible to pluck

the

> > >> > leaf then and there and can be used after two to three days, if they

are

> > >> > fresh. This is known well from the glory of Tulasi:

> > >> >

> > >> > snanE daanE tatha dhyanE prasanE kESava arcane,

> > >> >

> > >> > tulasi dahate paapam rOpanE keertanE kalau.

> > >> >

> > >> > (Skanda Purana)

> > >> >

> > >> >

> > >> >

> > >> > In Kali-yuga, Tulasidevi burns up all of a person's sins who bathes

her,

> > >> > gives her in charity, meditates on her, eats her leaves, worships Lord

Sri

> > >> > Kesava with her, transplants her or sings her glories.

> > >> >

> > >> >

> > >> >

> > >> > patram pushpam phalam kaastham tvat saakha pallavaankuram,

> > >> >

> > >> > tulasi sambhavam muulam paavanam mruttikaadi api.

> > >> >

> > >> > (Prahlada Sahmita)

> > >> >

> > >> >

> > >> >

> > >> > Leaves of Tulasi, flowers of Tulasi, fruits of Tulasi, branches of

Tulasi,

> > >> > bark of Tulasi, sprout of Tulasi, blossom or bud of Tulasi, and clay of

> > >> > Tulasi

> > >> > are all completely purified.. As regards to puja the leaves, flowers or

> > >> > any thing except " Hiranya " (Gold ornaments) once used are no more fit,

as

> > >> > they are termed as " Nirmalya " , which is considered as dust. The

ornaments

> > >> > are to be cleaned and reused. Hope it is clear. With love and regards,

> > >> > Sastry --- On *Thu, 7/2/09, Jayasree Menon <euroanuster@ ...>*wrote:

> > >> >

> > >> >

> > >> > Jayasree Menon <euroanuster@ ...>

> > >

> > >> > [Guruvayur] Thulasi

> > >> > guruvayur@grou ps.com

> > >> > Thursday, July 2, 2009, 5:19 AM

> > >> >

> > >> > Hari Om !

> > >> >

> > >> > Understand from a close-to-me- source that " Tulasi " can be taken for

pooja

> > >> > even after it is used on the previous day for pooja by washing them.

> > >> > Secondly also understand that Tulasi removed from plant can be used

after

> > >> > three days (i.e. 3 days after they are plucked) which is not possible

as

> > >> > regards to other flowers. Can anyone throw light on this subject?

> > >> >

> > >> > --

> > >> > Best regards

> > >> >

> > >> > Jayasree Menon

> > >> > Bangalore

> > >> > +9900149461

> > >> > my blog link: http://www.pythruka m.blogspot. com/<http://www.pythruka

m.blogspot. com/>

> > >

> > >> > ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------

---------

> > >> > --------- -----

> > >> > A well-thought out plan, execution excellence, market timing, personal

> > >> > leadership are drivers of the growth trajectory.

> > >> >

> > >> >

> > >> >

> > >> >

> > >>

> > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

dear achuthanji,

this is as said by my Guru as per tantra sastra. details may be available with who are doing Sri Chakra worship as per Tantra Sastra.

wtih pranams,

Gopal

chirattapuram <anair1101guruvayur Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2009 11:15:17 PM[Guruvayur] Re: Thulasi

Dear Gopalakrishnaji, I would like to know the source of your information. Where or who did u hear it from ?jai shree krishna !Acthuthan Nairguruvayur@grou ps.com, gopalakrishnan kesavanbhattathiri <gkekm7 wrote:>> dear all, my information is that thulasi and koovalam can be washed and reused for three and six months respectively.> > with pranams to all> gopalakrishnan> > > > > ____________ _________ _________ __> Chith Puram <krsnakrpa@. ..>> guruvayur@grou ps.com> Tuesday, July 7, 2009 1:40:07 AM> Re: [Guruvayur] Re:

Thulasi> > > > > > Namaste Nairji and other devoteees! > > "The original question raised by Sreedeviji is whether Thulsi leaves could be re-used for pooja purposes ."> > My understanding or what I have seen since a child (a good part of my life in Kerala) is the following. The flowers and garlands offered to a deity on a particular day is removed as nirmalyam. Devotees use it as prasadam and these flowers are not used for pujas again. In Kerala where there is lot of rain and sunshine getting flowers is easy. > > I do not know whether this practice can be implemented outside Kerala. Even today, living outside Kerala I do not re-use the nirmalyam flowers. If there are flowers that are not used for puja they may be kept fresh by refrigerating them for future use. > > Sorry for the digression,

I wanted to share my thoughts which are purely personal. I DO NOT claim any authenticity for any of these statements. I apologize if I have hurt anyone's feeling unknowingly.> > In short I would not re-use thulasi flowers for worship.> > With prayers,> > Chith Puram> > > > > On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 8:53 AM, chirattapuram <anair1101 > wrote:> > > >> >> >Hari-Om> >-------> >> >Respected Chith Puramji,> >I think we have been deviating from the original query.> >The original question raised by Sreedeviji is whether Thulsi leaves could be re-used for pooja purposes . for example, On a Monday morning the Ambalawasi procures very fresh thulsi leaves and makes some thulsi mala . The Nambootiri uses these thulsi leaves, mala and other flowers for that morning's pooja.

Later in the day these are removed and discarded.> >Now is it appropriate for the Thirumeni to PICK UP THESE SAME DISCARDED THULSI leaves, wash them and re-use them on Tuesday morning, and repeat the same process on Wednesday morning ? > >> >Could you please throw some light on this please ?> >> >> >jai shree krishna !> >> >Achuthan Nair.> >> >> >guruvayur@grou ps.com, Chith Puram <krsnakrpa@ .> wrote:> >>> >> Dear KVGji, Sastryji, and other devotees,> >> I do understand that what we use for puja is the leaf of Tulasi. For that> >> reason it should be called pathram. I would like to mention a specific> >> practice and seek explanation from the learned.> >> > >> Namboodiris of Kerala, while

performing religious rites (e.g. performing a> >> danam) would say "oru vellam" (meaning water once), " oru poovu" (one flower> >> - they are referring to Thulasi). Also while performing pooja they would> >> refer to "poovu kontu araadhikkuka" again referring to Thulasi. In short,> >> whatever I know among Namboodiris they would refer to Thulasi leaf only as> >> "poovu". Is it because Thulasi is so sacred that it unlike the leaves of> >> thechi, jasmine, lotus, etc. ? I am tempted to say that probably the same> >> thing applies to Bilva leaf, but then it is used mostly for Lord Siva only.> >> > >> I seek clarification from the learned.> >> > >> With prayers,> >> > >> Chith Puram> >> > >> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 3:26 AM, Dr.B.G.Y Sastry <drbgysastry@

....>wrote: > >> >> > >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > Dear Madam, Bhakti is eternal. I am a member of one day old in this> >> > site. Having delighted for your doubt, I am clarifying what I know. There> >> > are two verities for puja. One is pushpam (flower) and the other is> >> > pathram (leaf). Tulasi and Bilwa are pathras. Normally all flowers> >> > become decomposed after a day. Where as the leaves remain fresh for two to> >> > three days. Especially in cities, where there is no possibility of having> >> > the plants and depending on vendors, it may not be possible to pluck the> >> > leaf then and there and can be used after two to three days, if they are> >> > fresh. This is known well from the glory

of Tulasi:> >> >> >> > snanE daanE tatha dhyanE prasanE kESava arcane,> >> >> >> > tulasi dahate paapam rOpanE keertanE kalau.> >> >> >> > (Skanda Purana)> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > In Kali-yuga, Tulasidevi burns up all of a person's sins who bathes her,> >> > gives her in charity, meditates on her, eats her leaves, worships Lord Sri> >> > Kesava with her, transplants her or sings her glories.> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > patram pushpam phalam kaastham tvat saakha pallavaankuram,> >> >> >> > tulasi sambhavam muulam paavanam mruttikaadi api.> >> >> >> > (Prahlada Sahmita)> >> >> >> >> >> >>

>> > Leaves of Tulasi, flowers of Tulasi, fruits of Tulasi, branches of Tulasi,> >> > bark of Tulasi, sprout of Tulasi, blossom or bud of Tulasi, and clay of> >> > Tulasi> >> > are all completely purified.. As regards to puja the leaves, flowers or> >> > any thing except "Hiranya" (Gold ornaments) once used are no more fit, as> >> > they are termed as "Nirmalya", which is considered as dust. The ornaments> >> > are to be cleaned and reused. Hope it is clear. With love and regards,> >> > Sastry --- On *Thu, 7/2/09, Jayasree Menon <euroanuster@ ...>*wrote:> >> >> >> >> >> > Jayasree Menon <euroanuster@ ...> > >> >> > [Guruvayur] Thulasi> >> > guruvayur@grou ps.com> >> > Thursday, July 2,

2009, 5:19 AM> >> >> >> > Hari Om !> >> >> >> > Understand from a close-to-me- source that "Tulasi" can be taken for pooja> >> > even after it is used on the previous day for pooja by washing them.> >> > Secondly also understand that Tulasi removed from plant can be used after> >> > three days (i.e. 3 days after they are plucked) which is not possible as> >> > regards to other flowers. Can anyone throw light on this subject?> >> >> >> > --> >> > Best regards> >> >> >> > Jayasree Menon> >> > Bangalore> >> > +9900149461> >> > my blog link: http://www.pythruka m.blogspot. com/<http://www.pythruka m.blogspot. com/> > >>

>> > ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------> >> > --------- -----> >> > A well-thought out plan, execution excellence, market timing, personal> >> > leadership are drivers of the growth trajectory.> >> >> >> >> >> > > >> >> >>> >> >>

Guest guest

Guruvayoorappa,

Dear devotees

of the Lord,

Thulasee valsaram chaiva,

Vilwapathram, thadamsakam..”

I have heard

the above ‘slokardha’ some where, but I do not exactly remember the

source,

most probably,

if I remember correct, it is from ‘DEVA PRASNAM’ by Onakkur Sankara

Ganakan.

If I am wrong

kindly forgive me Gurudevs.

The meaning, as

far as I understood is that, we can use Thulasi for pooja for one year and Vilwapathram

(leaves of

Koovalam) for 6 months. It is definitely sure, not washed after once used, but

dried of course.

When dried

afresh, it seems Thulasi smells more; Vilwapathram remains dried, both in tact,

if we take care.

However, in

that case, we should never allow the leaves to decay.

In Tamil, I have

heard a saying, “ vadiya poo soodiyalum, soodiya poo soodakkoodathu”

(pardon me for my very

poor Tamil

knowledge), meaning we people (particularly women) can use faded flowers; never

once used. If that

is the case

with people, can Bhagavan be ranked below us ? No, not at all. It is my humble

knowledge.

Padaravindame

Saranam, Guruvayoorappa Saranam.

mpr

Thank you,

Have a great day,

mprnair,

nairradhakrishnan.

http://mprnair.blogspot.com/

# 281 573 8087

/ Cell- 281 948 7339.

guruvayur [guruvayur ] On Behalf Of gopalakrishnan

kesavanbhattathiri

Thursday, July 09, 2009 4:21

AM

guruvayur

Re: [Guruvayur] Re:

Thulasi

dear all, my information is that thulasi and koovalam can be washed and

with pranams to all

gopalakrishnan

Chith Puram <krsnakrpa >

guruvayur

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

1:40:07 AM

Thulasi

Namaste

Nairji and other devoteees!

" The original question raised by

Sreedeviji is whether Thulsi leaves could be re-used for pooja purposes . "

My understanding or what I have seen since a child (a good

part of my life in Kerala) is the following. The flowers and garlands

offered to a deity on a particular day is removed as nirmalyam. Devotees

use it as prasadam and these flowers are not used for pujas again. In

Kerala where there is lot of rain and sunshine getting flowers is easy.

I do not know whether this practice can be implemented

outside Kerala. Even today, living outside Kerala I do not re-use

the nirmalyam flowers. If there are flowers that are not

used for puja they may be kept fresh by refrigerating them for future

use.

Sorry for the digression, I wanted to share my thoughts

which are purely personal. I DO NOT claim any authenticity for any of

these statements. I apologize if I have hurt anyone's feeling

unknowingly.

With prayers,

Chith Puram

Hari-Om

-------

Respected Chith Puramji,

I think we have been deviating from the original query.

The original question raised by Sreedeviji is whether Thulsi leaves could be

uses these thulsi leaves, mala and other flowers for that morning's pooja.

Later in the day these are removed and discarded.

Now is it appropriate for the Thirumeni to PICK UP THESE SAME DISCARDED THULSI

leaves, wash them and re-use them on Tuesday morning, and repeat the same

Could you please throw some light on this please ?

jai shree krishna !

Achuthan Nair.

guruvayur@grou

ps.com, Chith Puram

<krsnakrpa@.. .> wrote:

>

> Dear KVGji, Sastryji, and other devotees,

> I do understand that what we use for puja is the leaf of Tulasi. For that

> reason it should be called pathram. I would like to mention a specific

> practice and seek explanation from the learned.

>

> Namboodiris of Kerala, while performing religious rites (e.g. performing a

> danam) would say " oru vellam " (meaning water once), " oru

poovu " (one flower

> - they are referring to Thulasi). Also while performing pooja they would

> refer to " poovu kontu araadhikkuka " again referring to Thulasi.

In short,

> whatever I know among Namboodiris they would refer to Thulasi leaf only as

> " poovu " . Is it because Thulasi is so sacred that it unlike the

leaves of

> thechi, jasmine, lotus, etc. ? I am tempted to say that probably the same

> thing applies to Bilva leaf, but then it is used mostly for Lord Siva

only.

>

> I seek clarification from the learned.

>

> With prayers,

>

> Chith Puram

>

> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 3:26 AM, Dr.B.G.Y Sastry

<drbgysastry@ ...>wrote:

>

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Dear Madam, Bhakti is eternal. I am a member of one day old in this

> > site. Having delighted for your doubt, I am clarifying what I know.

There

> > are two verities for puja. One is pushpam (flower) and the other is

> > pathram (leaf). Tulasi and Bilwa are pathras. Normally all flowers

> > become decomposed after a day. Where as the leaves remain fresh for

two to

> > three days. Especially in cities, where there is no possibility of

having

> > the plants and depending on vendors, it may not be possible to pluck

the

> > leaf then and there and can be used after two to three days, if they

are

> > fresh. This is known well from the glory of Tulasi:

> >

> > snanE daanE tatha dhyanE prasanE kESava arcane,

> >

> > tulasi dahate paapam rOpanE keertanE kalau.

> >

> > (Skanda Purana)

> >

> >

> >

> > In Kali-yuga, Tulasidevi burns up all of a person's sins who bathes

her,

> > gives her in charity, meditates on her, eats her leaves, worships

Lord Sri

> > Kesava with her, transplants her or sings her glories.

> >

> >

> >

> > patram pushpam phalam kaastham tvat saakha pallavaankuram,

> >

> > tulasi sambhavam muulam paavanam mruttikaadi api.

> >

> > (Prahlada Sahmita)

> >

> >

> >

> > Leaves of Tulasi, flowers of Tulasi, fruits of Tulasi, branches of

Tulasi,

> > bark of Tulasi, sprout of Tulasi, blossom or bud of Tulasi, and clay

of

> > Tulasi

> > are all completely purified.. As regards to puja the leaves, flowers

or

> > any thing except " Hiranya " (Gold ornaments) once used are

no more fit, as

> > they are termed as " Nirmalya " , which is considered as dust.

The ornaments

> > are to be cleaned and reused. Hope it is clear. With love and

regards,

> > Sastry --- On *Thu, 7/2/09, Jayasree Menon

<euroanuster@ ...>*wrote:

> >

> >

> > Jayasree Menon <euroanuster@ ...>

> > [Guruvayur] Thulasi

> > guruvayur@grou ps.com

> > Thursday, July 2, 2009, 5:19 AM

> >

> > Hari Om !

> >

> > Understand from a close-to-me- source that " Tulasi " can be

taken for pooja

> > even after it is used on the previous day for pooja by washing them.

> > Secondly also understand that Tulasi removed from plant can be used

after

> > three days (i.e. 3 days after they are plucked) which is not possible

as

> > regards to other flowers. Can anyone throw light on this subject?

> >

> > --

> > Best regards

> >

> > Jayasree Menon

> > Bangalore

> > +9900149461

> > my blog link: http://www.pythruka

m.blogspot. com/<http://www.pythruka

m.blogspot. com/>

> > ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------

---------

> > --------- -----

> > A well-thought out plan, execution excellence, market timing,

personal

> > leadership are drivers of the growth trajectory.

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Hari OmAccording to the knowledge I got from my elders, the meaning of the saying "vadiyapoo choodinalum choodiyapoo choodakootathu" means never use the flowers used by others.Sometimes, ladies have a tenedency to share their flowers with friends or those who accompany them to some functions, festivals, marriages etc. I think the saying is apt for occasions like that. Forgive me if I am wrong.Om Namo NarayanayaDevi sarma--- On Fri, 10/7/09, mprnair <nairradhakrishnan wrote:mprnair <nairradhakrishnanRE: [Guruvayur] Re: Thulasiguruvayur Date: Friday, 10 July, 2009, 9:51 PM

Guruvayoorappa, Dear devotees

of the Lord, “

Thulasee valsaram chaiva,

Vilwapathram, thadamsakam.. .†I have heard

the above ‘slokardha’ some where, but I do not exactly remember the

source, most probably,

if I remember correct, it is from ‘DEVA PRASNAM’ by Onakkur Sankara

Ganakan. If I am wrong

kindly forgive me Gurudevs. The meaning, as

far as I understood is that, we can use Thulasi for pooja for one year and Vilwapathram (leaves of

Koovalam) for 6 months. It is definitely sure, not washed after once used, but

dried of course. When dried

afresh, it seems Thulasi smells more; Vilwapathram remains dried, both in tact,

if we take care. However, in

that case, we should never allow the leaves to decay. In Tamil, I have

heard a saying, “ vadiya poo soodiyalum, soodiya poo soodakkoodathuâ€

(pardon me for my very poor Tamil

knowledge), meaning we people (particularly women) can use faded flowers; never

once used. If that is the case

with people, can Bhagavan be ranked below us ? No, not at all. It is my humble

knowledge. Padaravindame

Saranam, Guruvayoorappa Saranam. mpr

Thank you, Have a great day, mprnair, nairradhakrishnan@ hotmail.com. http://mprnair. blogspot. com/ # 281 573 8087

/ Cell- 281 948 7339.

guruvayur@grou ps.com [ guruvayur@grou ps.com ] On Behalf Of gopalakrishnan

kesavanbhattathiri

Thursday, July 09, 2009 4:21

AM

guruvayur@grou ps.com

Thulasi

dear all, my information is that thulasi and koovalam can be washed and

with pranams to all

gopalakrishnan

Chith Puram <krsnakrpa (AT) gmail (DOT) com>

guruvayur@grou ps.com

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Thulasi

Namaste

"The original question raised by

Sreedeviji is whether Thulsi leaves could be re-used for pooja purposes ."

My understanding or what I have seen since a child (a good

part of my life in Kerala) is the following. The flowers and garlands

offered to a deity on a particular day is removed as nirmalyam. Devotees

use it as prasadam and these flowers are not used for pujas again. In

Kerala where there is lot of rain and sunshine getting flowers is easy.

I do not know whether this practice can be implemented

outside Kerala. Even today, living outside Kerala I do not re-use

the nirmalyam flowers. If there are flowers that are not

used for puja they may be kept fresh by refrigerating them for future

use.

Sorry for the digression, I wanted to share my thoughts

which are purely personal. I DO NOT claim any authenticity for any of

these statements. I apologize if I have hurt anyone's feeling

unknowingly.

With prayers,

Chith Puram

Hari-Om

-------

Respected Chith Puram ji,

Now is it appropriate for the Thirumeni to PICK UP THESE SAME DISCARDED THULSI

leaves, wash them and re-use them on Tuesday morning, and repeat the same

jai shree krishna !

Achuthan Nair.

guruvayur@grou

ps.com, Chith Puram <krsnakrpa@.. .> wrote:

>

> I do understand that what we use for puja is the leaf of Tulasi. For that

>

> Namboodiris of Kerala, while performing religious rites (e.g. performing a

> danam) would say "oru vellam" (meaning water once), " oru

poovu" (one flower

> refer to "poovu kontu araadhikkuka" again referring to Thulasi.

In short,

> whatever I know among Namboodiris they would refer to Thulasi leaf only as

> "poovu". Is it because Thulasi is so sacred that it unlike the

leaves of

only.

>

>

> With prayers,

>

> Chith Puram

>

> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 3:26 AM, Dr.B.G.Y Sastry

<drbgysastry@ ....>wrote:

>

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

There

two to

having

> > the plants and depending on vendors, it may not be possible to pluck

the

> > leaf then and there and can be used after two to three days, if they

are

> >

> >

> >

> > (Skanda Purana)

> >

> >

> >

her,

Lord Sri

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > (Prahlada Sahmita)

> >

> >

> >

Tulasi,

> > bark of Tulasi, sprout of Tulasi, blossom or bud of Tulasi, and clay

of

> > Tulasi

> > are all completely purified.. As regards to puja the leaves, flowers

or

> > any thing except "Hiranya" (Gold ornaments) once used are

no more fit, as

> > they are termed as "Nirmalya", which is considered as dust..

The ornaments

regards,

> > Sastry --- On *Thu, 7/2/09, Jayasree Menon

<euroanuster@ ...>*wrote:

> >

> >

> > [Guruvayur] Thulasi

> > guruvayur@grou ps.com

> >

> > Hari Om !

> >

> > Understand from a close-to-me- source that "Tulasi" can be

taken for pooja

> > even after it is used on the previous day for pooja by washing them.

after

as

> >

> > --

> > Best regards

> >

> > Jayasree Menon

> > Bangalore

> > +9900149461

> > my blog link: http://www.pythruka

m.blogspot. com/<http://www.pythruka

m.blogspot. com/>

---------

> > --------- -----

personal

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

recommends that you upgrade to the new and safer Internet Explorer 8.

Guest guest

Guruvayoorappa,

Dear Devotee of

the Lord,

Thank you for

your explanation.

It implies that

flowers used once, or used by one,

should not be

used by others.

Padaravindame

Saranam, Guruvayoorappa Saranam.

mpr

Thank you,

Have a great

day,

mprnair,

nairradhakrishnan.

http://mprnair.blogspot.com/

# 281 573 8087

/ Cell- 281 948 7339.

guruvayur [guruvayur ] On Behalf Of Devi Sarma

Sunday, July 12, 2009 5:32

AM

guruvayur

RE: [Guruvayur] Re:

Thulasi

Hari Om

According to the knowledge I got from my elders, the meaning of the

saying " vadiyapoo choodinalum choodiyapoo choodakootathu " means

never use the flowers used by others.Sometimes, ladies have a tenedency to

share their flowers with friends or those who accompany them to some

functions, festivals, marriages etc. I think the saying is apt for occasions

like that. Forgive me if I am wrong.

Om Namo Narayanaya

Devi sarma

--- On Fri, 10/7/09, mprnair <nairradhakrishnan (AT) hotmail (DOT) com>

wrote:

mprnair <nairradhakrishnan (AT) hotmail (DOT) com>

RE: [Guruvayur] Re: Thulasi

guruvayur

Friday, 10 July, 2009, 9:51 PM

Guruvayoorappa,

Dear devotees of the Lord,

“ Thulasee valsaram chaiva,

Vilwapathram, thadamsakam..

..”

I have heard the above ‘slokardha’

some where, but I do not exactly remember the source,

most probably, if I remember correct,

it is from ‘DEVA PRASNAM’ by Onakkur Sankara Ganakan.

If I am wrong kindly forgive me

Gurudevs.

The meaning, as far as I understood

is that, we can use Thulasi for pooja for one year and Vilwapathram

(leaves of Koovalam) for 6 months. It

is definitely sure, not washed after once used, but dried of course.

When dried afresh, it seems Thulasi

smells more; Vilwapathram remains dried, both in tact, if we take care.

However, in that case, we

should never allow the leaves to decay.

In Tamil, I have heard a saying, “

vadiya poo soodiyalum, soodiya poo soodakkoodathu” (pardon me for my very

poor Tamil knowledge), meaning we

people (particularly women) can use faded flowers; never once used. If that

is the case with people, can Bhagavan

be ranked below us ? No, not at all. It is my humble knowledge.

Padaravindame Saranam, Guruvayoorappa

Saranam.

mpr

Thank you,

Have a great day,

mprnair,

nairradhakrishnan@ hotmail.com.

http://mprnair. blogspot. com/

# 281 573 8087 / Cell- 281 948 7339.

guruvayur@grou ps.com

[ guruvayur@grou ps.com ] On

Behalf Of gopalakrishnan kesavanbhattathiri

Thursday, July 09, 2009

4:21 AM

guruvayur@grou ps.com

Thulasi

dear all, my

information is that thulasi and koovalam can be washed and reused for three

and six months respectively.

with pranams to

all

gopalakrishnan

Chith

Puram <krsnakrpa (AT) gmail (DOT) com>

guruvayur@grou ps.com

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Thulasi

Namaste

" The original question raised by

Sreedeviji is whether Thulsi leaves could be re-used for pooja purposes . "

My

understanding or what I have seen since a child (a good part of my life in

Kerala) is the following. The flowers and garlands offered to a deity

on a particular day is removed as nirmalyam. Devotees use it as

prasadam and these flowers are not used for pujas again. In Kerala

where there is lot of rain and sunshine getting flowers is easy.

I do

not know whether this practice can be implemented outside Kerala. Even

today, living outside Kerala I do not re-use the nirmalyam

flowers. If there are flowers that are not used for puja

they may be kept fresh by refrigerating them for future use.

Sorry

for the digression, I wanted to share my thoughts which are purely personal.

I DO NOT claim any authenticity for any of these statements. I

In

short I would not re-use thulasi flowers for worship.

With

prayers,

Chith Puram

On Fri, Jul 3,

2009 at 8:53 AM, chirattapuram <anair1101 > wrote:

Hari-Om

-------

Respected Chith Puram ji,

Now is it appropriate for the Thirumeni to PICK UP THESE SAME DISCARDED

THULSI leaves, wash them and re-use them on Tuesday morning, and repeat the

same process on Wednesday morning ?

jai shree krishna !

Achuthan Nair.

guruvayur@grou ps.com, Chith Puram <krsnakrpa@.. .> wrote:

>

> I do understand that what we use for puja is the leaf of Tulasi. For

that

>

> Namboodiris of Kerala, while performing religious rites (e.g. performing

a

> danam) would say " oru vellam " (meaning water once), " oru

poovu " (one flower

> refer to " poovu kontu araadhikkuka " again referring to

Thulasi. In short,

> whatever I know among Namboodiris they would refer to Thulasi leaf only

as

> " poovu " . Is it because Thulasi is so sacred that it unlike the

leaves of

only.

>

>

> With prayers,

>

> Chith Puram

>

> On Fri, Jul

3, 2009 at 3:26 AM, Dr.B.G.Y Sastry <drbgysastry@ ....>wrote:

>

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

There

two to

having

> > the plants and depending on vendors, it may not be possible to

pluck the

> > leaf then and there and can be used after two to three days, if

they are

> >

> >

> >

> > (Skanda Purana)

> >

> >

> >

her,

Lord Sri

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > (Prahlada Sahmita)

> >

> >

> >

Tulasi,

> > bark of Tulasi, sprout of Tulasi, blossom or bud of Tulasi, and

clay of

> > Tulasi

> > are all completely purified.. As regards to puja the leaves,

flowers or

> > any thing except " Hiranya " (Gold ornaments) once used are

no more fit, as

> > they are termed as " Nirmalya " , which is considered as

dust.. The ornaments

regards,

> > Sastry

--- On *Thu, 7/2/09, Jayasree Menon <euroanuster@ ...>*wrote:

> >

> >

> > [Guruvayur] Thulasi

> > guruvayur@grou

ps.com

> >

> > Hari Om !

> >

> > Understand from a close-to-me- source that " Tulasi " can

be taken for pooja

> > even after it is used on the previous day for pooja by washing

them.

after

as

> >

> > --

> > Best regards

> >

> > Jayasree Menon

> > Bangalore

> > +9900149461

> > my

blog link: http://www.pythruka m.blogspot. com/<http://www.pythruka

m.blogspot. com/>

---------

> > --------- -----

personal

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

recommends that you upgrade to the new and safer Internet Explorer 8.