IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
prakashdevadas

Need help in worshiping disfigured idol

Rate this topic

Namaskar,

I have been worshiping at home a Ganesha Idol (made of stone about 1ft height) from past 4 years. Recently I have noticed a slight crack(looks like it was previously touched up before I bought this, only now it is visible, It is very minor).

As I was told that worshing disfigured idol is considered be inauspicious What I need to do to continue worshiping.

I want to keep this idol & continue worshiping. Pls suggest, Thanks in Advance..

There will be different opinions on this. Some will tell you the deity should be completely changed, others will say it isn't so important, and devotion is more important. Ancient temples such as Lingaraj in Bhubaneswar worship a shivalinga that was shattered into many pieces by invading muslims. In Kantilal the ancient deity of Nila Madhava has his face disfigured (smashed) also by invading muslims. Still the worship continues, because the deity is not only based on the physical shape of the stone. It's the worship and spiritual potency that really matter.

There are rituals for changing a deity if it is absolutely necessary, but it shouldn't be done with ancient deities, as the priests may not have the potency to transfer the built up spiritual power of thousands of years of worship.

In your case, if it is a home deity, you can continue worshipping it as is. For Nila Madhava deity in Kantilal, they place a spot of chandana paste on the broken area.

once in dakshineswar temple where saint sri ramakrishna paramahamsa lived there was a big problem . on the day of nandotsava the priest of radhakanta temple slipped and fell down while carrying the diety of sri krishna to the other room for sayan . the diety broke his leg . gradually the news reached the patron of the temple -rani rasmani . she grew tensed for this happened on an auspicious day . an immidiate meeting of learned brahmins from all over bengal( places like navadwipa , bhatpara etc) was summoned to arrive at a conclusion as to what is to be done with the broken diety . all brahmins agreed that the diety now being broken is unfit for worship and should be immersed in ganges and a new diety rebuilt in its place . but the devotee rani didnt seems to be ready to part with her loving deity . all the while ramakrishna was sitting in a corner and patietly listening to alll that was being said . at last rani asked him " what is your opinion ? " to this he replied , " would you throw in your son into ganges if he also broke a leg ? "

this served as an eyeopener , the rani instantly dismissed the dry pundits and called for joining the broken leg and reinstalling the diety ! and there it stands till this day !

I do not think so. The broken idol was not destroyed. But a new idol was installed. The idol being worshiped officially is the new one.

no . the idol was mended by sri ramakrishna himself and continued to be worshipped till the the crack reappeared again in 1920's due to regular 'usage' . it was then the authorities decided that it was too dangerous to keep the original idol(because it had to be carried everyday to bed) and installed a new one . and this original idol they placed in the next room where it is still worshipped and can be seen by devotees .

Thank you Sambya. I stand corrected.:o My information was from one Sri. Bose whose family has been associated with Sri Ramakrishna and the Dakshineswar temple for generations right from Takur's days.

I lost touch with him when I left Kolkata in the eighties.

initially even i was confused as to how there could be two deities , since it is always mentioned that rani ordered the original idol to be kept ! then a year ago i read across a book that it got broken once again in 1920's and it was then that this new one was brought in !

The presence of two deities was always known. The broken and mended idol was kept separately. I remember worshiping there since the time I can remember. The problem is that most of this is only hearsay. No one can say authoritatively since all this happened long back and there is no recorded history.