IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Yajnavalkya dasa

Ahimsa mrdungas

Rate this topic

I want to purchase a mrdunga, but I noticed that all (except the Balarama Mrdunga) use leather.

And the Balarama mrdunga, as far as I can tell, is almost out of production, save for a small 20 inch version.

So where do the leather in mrdungas come from? If the mrdunga is made in India, can I assume the leather was from a cow that died naturally or accidentally?

Any and all advice and opinions, insights, revelations and reveries in the matter are welcomed!

If anyone knows of a source for the larger Balarama mrdungas, that would be appreciated.

Or, if anyone here has an older, larger Balarama mrdunga, and want to sell it, I am interested.

Thank you!

:confused:

If the mrdunga is made in India, can I assume the leather was from a cow that died naturally or accidentally?

Unfortunately it is likely the cows were killed for the leather. From what I heard they kill calves as the leather is more suitable for making drums. There was a letter going around a couple years ago explaining where the mridanga leather comes from.