IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Sonic Yogi

Understanding Back to Godhead

Rate this topic

Years ago it came to me that "Godhead" is not actually a place but a nomenclature for the Supreme Being.

Like most all other devotees I am prone to think of Godhead as being a place, a residence, an abode like Krsnaloka where many devotees think we originally were, but due to being envious of Krishna fell from to the material world to be an imitation lord enjoying the material energy.

But, I think there needs to be some thinking done about the actual terminology "Godhead" and the phrase "Back Home, Back to Godhead".

What throws us all off is when "Back Home" gets connected with "Back to Godhead".

That is why so many of us have erroneously conceived of "Godhead" as a place rather than a person.

Quite frankly, I am a little befuddled at why "Back Home" has been used in conjunction with "Back to Godhead" as Godhead is a deity or a person as opposed to a place of residence.

No dictionary definition or Wikipedia reference I can find ever defines "Godhead" as a place.

Godhead is always a term for a deity or for God.

God⋅head

speaker.gif  /ˈgɒdˌhɛd/ Show Spelled Pronunciation dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif [god-hed] Show IPA Pronunciation dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif

–noun <table class="luna-Ent"> <tbody><tr> <td class="dnindex">1.</td> <td> <table class="luna-Ent"> <tbody><tr> <td class="dnindex">a.</td> <td>the essential being of God; the Supreme Being.</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table class="luna-Ent"> <tbody><tr> <td class="dnindex">b.</td> <td>the Holy Trinity of God the Father, Christ the Son, and the Holy Ghost.</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table class="luna-Ent"> <tbody><tr> <td class="dnindex">2.</td> <td>(lowercasethinsp.png) divinity; godhood.</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table class="luna-Ent"><tbody><tr><td class="dnindex">3.</td> <td>(lowercasethinsp.png) Rare. a god or goddess; deity.</td></tr></tbody></table>

So, I am just somewhat exasperated with this expression "Back Home, Back to Godhead" in as much as it tends to mislead people into thinking of Godhead as a place instead of a person.

Even in the books of Srila Prabhupada he always uses "Godhead" in reference to Vishnu-tattva or Krishna.

He never uses Godhead to refer to a place as the spiritual sky or one of the spiritual planets.

On the Back to Godhead magazine we find the the slogan: "Godhead is light. Nescience is darkness. Where there is Godhead there is no nescience."

Even here on the Back to Godhead magazine we find Srila Prabhupada defining Godhead as "light".

He does not refer to Godhead as a place but as light.

Am I the only one who finds the "Back Home, Back to Godhead" theme a little bit befuddling?

:confused:

Hmmm . . . I don't remember knowing anyone who thought of Godhead as a place.

As far as the Back To Godhead slogan is concerned, it's one of Srila Prabhupada's translations of a Chaitanya-charitamrita verse:

krsna--surya-sama; maya haya andhakara

yahan krsna, tahan nahi mayara adhikara (Adi 22.31)He translatesthis verse in Cc. as "Krsna is compared to sunshine, and maya is compared to darkness. Wherever there is sunshine, there cannot be darkness. As soon as one takes to Krsna consciousness, the darkness of illusion (the influence of the external energy) will immediately vanish." In another place he gives it as "Krsna is bright like the sun. As soon as the sun appears, there is no question of darkness or nescience."

When Srila Prabhupada gave a lecture at the University of Hawaii in may of 1972, a student asked him what he means when he calls Krishna the supreme personality of Godhead. His reply was the it means that Krishna is the head god.

Hmmm . . . I don't remember knowing anyone who thought of Godhead as a place.

As far as the Back To Godhead slogan is concerned, it's one of Srila Prabhupada's translations of a Chaitanya-charitamrita verse:

krsna--surya-sama; maya haya andhakara

yahan krsna, tahan nahi mayara adhikara (Adi 22.31)He translatesthis verse in Cc. as "Krsna is compared to sunshine, and maya is compared to darkness. Wherever there is sunshine, there cannot be darkness. As soon as one takes to Krsna consciousness, the darkness of illusion (the influence of the external energy) will immediately vanish." In another place he gives it as "Krsna is bright like the sun. As soon as the sun appears, there is no question of darkness or nescience."

When Srila Prabhupada gave a lecture at the University of Hawaii in may of 1972, a student asked him what he means when he calls Krishna the supreme personality of Godhead. His reply was the it means that Krishna is the head god.

That is odd.

A few years ago I brought up a similar discussion and I had quite a bit of disagreement and one person was actually able to produce a quote from Prabhupada to the effect that Godhead was in fact synonymous with Krsnaloka.

Most everyone treated me like an idiot the last time I proposed that Godhead was not a place.

I have always thought of Godhead as Godhead. The Gaudiya vision of Godhead is full of diverse potencies and personalities.

And being a part of that Great Person feels like a wonderful home.

And now, when you wonder if it might be a place, I treat you like an idiot again. Sorry. :silent:

But, how is a person a home?

Back Home is a place.

Why does Prabhupada refer to Godhead as a home?

How about we change it to "Back to Him, Back to Godhead".

yeah, that works for me.......

I have never met a person yet that was a home.

:idea:

Home is where you hang your hat.

His reply was the it means that Krishna is the head god.

I knew it...... there is more than one God.

Of all the many gods Krishna is just the head of the club.

That is so wonderful.

In all of Prabhupada's books he never once referred to Krishna as "the head god'.

But, some undocumented lecture in Hawaii is what we are supposed to base our understanding on.

Wonders never cease.

But, how is a person a home?

Back Home is a place.

Why does Prabhupada refer to Godhead as a home?

How about we change it to "Back to Him, Back to Godhead".

yeah, that works for me....... by sonic

If that works for you then good.

I feel though that Srila Prabhupada is trying to share something much more beautiful. Remember a focal point in Gaudiya philosophy is personalism...infact extreme personalism.

So why not home? Why can't that be personalized as well.

Just imagine the total living consciousness, a living spiritual personality - harmonized and loving. And being an intergral part of that home (person).

Try to get your head around it oneday Sonic. Then you will accept why Srila Prabhupada used such terms.

If that works for you then good.

I feel though that Srila Prabhupada is trying to share something much more beautiful. Remember a focal point in Gaudiya philosophy is personalism...infact extreme personalism.

So why not home? Why can't that be personalized as well.

Just imagine the total living consciousness, a living spiritual personality - harmonized and loving. And being an intergral part of that home (person).

Try to get your head around it oneday Sonic. Then you will accept why Srila Prabhupada used such terms.

"Home is where the Heart is."

A very popular expression. Especially amongst those who had a home life as a child with doting concerned and caring parents.

A house is where you hang your hat. A home is much more.

"There is no place like home."

A home is meant to be a place of sanctuary from the outer world. It can be a yoke (for the Grhamedhi) or an asrama/temple (for the Grhastha).

In the old days, one was born in their home, often in water, to a midwife, or ayurvedic physician present, NOT in an impersonal hospital. There they were nurtured by the divine impulse of the mother.

When one has had a good home, it is someplace they always hold fondly in their memory, and love to visit, and sometimes long for.

Being present with Lord Krsna in Gokula/Goloka, interacting with the head God, includes alot of interaction around the homes. A group of homes make the humble village. Most nights come and everyone heads for home to rest and recharge for another exciting day. The home is the hub and base from which the luxurious dishes are prepared for everyone to enjoy, the place where the milk is turned to yogurt and churned to butter, and where Mom is always ready to greet with a warm hug.

Just the view from behind my Rose colored lenses.