IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
sambya

gaudiya tilak-a deviation?

Rate this topic

i just came across a writing that the early exponents of gaudiya vaishnav thought adopted the tilak of madhva sampradaya but eventually did away with they central black line(running between the parrel white ones)which used to be drawn from the ashes of nitya homa,because they laid more stress on naam yagna than direct fire sacrifice.but why did they they abondon the red dot below the black one symbolising laxmi and added their own tulasi leaf in stead.if devotion to one's sampraday is of so importance did'nt this act amount to disrespect for ones disciplic lineage??

I think it would be a mistake to refer to the Gaudiyas' tilak marks as a deviation. Each community develops its own tilak for its own reasons. Moreover, you'll find different explanations of the different tilak marks worn by vaishnavas. One version can be found at the Radha-Ramana temple's Web site. Another is in a book by an academic. I have a copy, but it's not with me, and I can remember neither the title nor the author.

yes i read through the such explanation.like ramanuja sampradaya uses the red mark in the center to denote laxmi(red being the colour of shakti)through whom they seek to approach the lord.similarly the gaudiyas approach is through the mercy of tulasi devi and hence its a tulasi leaf.but inspite of that changing the red dot(laxmi) of madhva tilak and transforming it to tulasi is not definetly something of a respect or following ,is it?in fact it amounts to a change of belief also.

yes i read through the such explanation.like ramanuja sampradaya uses the red mark in the center to denote laxmi(red being the colour of shakti)through whom they seek to approach the lord.similarly the gaudiyas approach is through the mercy of tulasi devi and hence its a tulasi leaf.but inspite of that changing the red dot(laxmi) of madhva tilak and transforming it to tulasi is not definetly something of a respect or following ,is it?in fact it amounts to a change of belief also.

Hmmmm... from that angle it is a very interesting question.

I think perhaps it shows the change of focus towards serving the devotees of Krishna (Tulsidevi being one). Ultimately, Tulsi and Radharani are the same person, so I don't think it's consequential.

I think perhaps it shows the change of focus towards serving the devotees of Krishna (Tulsidevi being one). Ultimately, Tulsi and Radharani are the same person, so I don't think it's consequential.

Could it in some way represent a focus on Radharani rather that Laxsmi?

It should also be noted that the teachings of the madhva sampradaya and gaudiya sampradaya are very different. So in fact the teachings have changed (as well as the tilak).

One example is considering Krishna as the source of all incarnations. The followers of madhva see no difference between Vishnu and Krishna (or any other avatar), but the followers of Caitanya Mahaprabhu consider Krishna to be the source of all incarnations and expansions. Thus logically the Madhvas will not make the distinction between the levels of consorts of different expansions of Vishnu, where as Gaudiyas will make that distinction.

Actually,the tilak's don't matter much apart from the sentiment you keep in mind when your putting it....Like when you see the tilak in the mirror,you remember that you want the lord's two feet on your head.

Whereas one of the greatest devotees,Sri shankara,puts ashes on his body.

Still he got entry into the Rasa leela.

there are so many dacoits who must've put tilaks to avoid getting caught.The lord doesn't ADMIT him into rasa leela!