IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
son_of_erin2000

Murthy Enquiry

Rate this topic

Hello all,

I will be traveling to India next month and was hoping I would make a trip to Mayapur. Hopefully I will finally be able to get an Ugra Nrsimha murthy from there.

Now my question is, if anyone has been to Mayapur and they can tell me, if an Ugra Nrsimha murthy will be readily available or do I have to custom made it?

I plan to stay around 4-5 days in Mayapur, so don’t really have time for custom made murthy’s. I have seen Maa Durga and Kali murthys in Calcutta a few years back and was hoping I could get hold of something like that of Ugra Nrsimha.

Thanks for any tips available.

Hari bol.

Namaskaram,

It depends on the goal(s) of your worship and planned level of service for this murthy.

If you seek granite/stone deity, then getting a deity from Mayapur will be easiest. Usually one of the devotees at the local ISKCON temple can help you out.

It is easier to acquire a deity of Ugra Narasimha in the North then South.

In South India, worship of Ugra Narasimha is in the household is scarce due to fear of repecussions if you make mistakes in pooja, etc.

Hence Lakshmi-Narasimha Murthy is usually more commonly worshipped form. Brass Deities of this form of Lord Narasimha are easy to acquire in South India.

If possible, you can also keep Yantra with deity to aid in energizing your pooja. Usually lakshmi-narasimha or (maha)sudarshana yantrams.

Finally, as a general rule, the height of the deity should not be greater than the distance from the base of your palm to the top of your middle finger.

It is regarded that if the deity is bigger then this, there will be some difficulties in the household after some time [e.g financial or relationship problems].

Hope this is of some aid. :)