IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
tara1

any effects of chanting once daily?

Rate this topic

Dear Group Members,

I am a normal person with normal habits like most. I do not have excesses, but I do not intend to give up anything without "reason". Anyhow, I have begun chanting "Hare Krishan" mantra once daily. I would like to know why and how do you believe it has an effect?

PLLEASEEE share you experiences with the mantra. HOW DID YOU FEEL ABOUT IT? Is this TM?

Thanking all the devotees here.

Good luck, Good life.

God Bless.

No it's not TM. Chanting the names of God will bring eternal benefit. It's not the number you chant as much as it is the purity. Ofcourse one who chants purely will be drawn by bliss to chant constantly but we here are all beginners so we do what we can.

Chant once daily until you want to try to chant twice and so on. There are no hard and fast rules. It is best to try and chant attentively or mindfully.

Also you needn't give anything up before you chant. Some things we do hold back or retard our spiritual progress and eventually you will want to give them up.

Here is a verse from Bhagavad-gita about this principle.

The embodied soul may be restricted from sense enjoyment, though the taste for sense objects remains. But, ceasing such engagements by experiencing a higher taste, he is fixed in consciousness. Bg2.59

Hi Tara1...obviously there are many perspectives coming from Hindu/Vedic culture.

Here is the Gaudiya Vaisnava perspective in relation to Theist prabhu's post.

(Shrila Prabhupada in Cc Adi 8.31 and purp - click here)

But if one only chants, with some slight faith, the holy names of Lord Caitanya and Nityānanda, very quickly he is cleansed of all offenses. Thus as soon as he chants the Hare Kṛṣṇa mahā-mantra, he feels the ecstasy of love for God.

Shrila A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada:

"...A neophyte student who is not sufficiently educated or enlightened should not indulge in the worship of Shri Radha and Krishna or the chanting of the Hare Krishna mantra. Even if he does so, he cannot get the desired result. One should therefore chant the names of Nitai-Gaura and worship Them without false prestige. In the beginning one should very regularly chant Shri Gaurasundara’s holy name and then chant the holy name of Lord Nityananda. Thus one's heart will be cleansed of impure desires for material enjoyment. Then one can approach Vrindavana-dhama to worship Lord Krishna..."

So the Gaudiya Vaisnava always takes shelter of Sri Caitanya Tattva before beginning chanting of the Hare Krsna mahamantra. By this purifying process taste for the Mahamantra quickly comes. Once the offenses in chanting are removed, then steadiness arises. Then taste. Once taste appears our true fortune has arisen. Then the Holy Name will begin to appear in all beautitude. With great attachment, spiritual emotions, and love (in due course).

In my opinion Tara1, it is evident you are a very pure hearted person - simply by your chanting Sri Krsna's name in sincerity and love.

God bless you too:cool:.

I would like to know why and how do you believe it has an effect? by tara1

In this material world we can see that our name and form is different. For example you can go to interpol and change your name on your identity papers. But you remain the same. Infact you are not this body/mind, but pure spirit soul - that is why you feel to be the same person even when so much change is taking place in your body. The body and mind is made of material elements. Evidence of your true self is consciousness.

The Absolute Truth, the summum bonum, encompasses all. Therefore his name and transcendental form, qualities and pastimes are all non-different - unlike our conditioned state of misidentification.

The name Krsna represents the Supreme Lord's quality as the all-attractive. This Lord has unlimited Names.

The devotee, knowing the absolute nature of God, can pereceive that His name and form are non-different.

So by the process of ecstatic devotion, the devotee swims in the nectar ocean of the Holy Name. Feeling the direct association of her Lord in Krsna consciousness.

PLLEASEEE share you experiences with the mantra. HOW DID YOU FEEL ABOUT IT?

Dear tara1,

I have some experience with this mantra and with other ones. First of all, something sweet is known by the tasting, so YOU should decide how you feel about it after you have been chanting for awhile. To get the full 'flavor', try to follow the diet restrictions as much as possible. I have found that this makes a big difference. Also be willing to increase your chanting when you feel ready for it. Please know that there are other mantras out there and if after some time you feel that this one is not for you, there is no reason to give up on the chanting of Sanskrit mantras altogether. I wish you the best!

I have some experience with this mantra and with other ones. First of all, something sweet is known by the tasting, so YOU should decide how you feel about it after you have been chanting for awhile. To get the full 'flavor', try to follow the diet restrictions as much as possible. I have found that this makes a big difference. Also be willing to increase your chanting when you feel ready for it. Please know that there are other mantras out there and if after some time you feel that this one is not for you, there is no reason to give up on the chanting of Sanskrit mantras altogether. I wish you the best!

Tara1, I forgot to add that I seem to get better results by trying to concentrate on the sounds instead of just repeating them mechanically and also from chanting in the morning before taking my first food. However there are no hard and fast rules. Just keep an open mind to experimenting with different ways to improve your sadhana!

I would like to know why and how do you believe it has an effect?
returns the mind from self; humilty is concentrated to a period in time.

It is why in Islam, they whole of the people stop the life of self and give to God; the sense of equality and humility to existence.

They are rituals to return the mind of man to a state of humility.

But we can live that way in every moment without saying a word!

Dear bija,smiley,yagna_narayan, and bishadi

Thanks for your invaluable inputs. The thing about such experiences is that one does not know until someone shares it with you. So am grateful to all of you to have taken time to write here.

Good day!